Closed thread
Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 2579

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #4: "Codex Aelyrr"

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins considers Coopers offer, smiles at him, and makes a beckoning move with her head.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Helisel, although her smile is somewhat frozen with mortification. How did he know I wanted underwear? I do not think I said that aloud. Did I? Are Rigellians telepathic?

She slides back on the bed, unnerved and also disappointed that she has not been given the go-ahead to leave. The sickbay is not a pleasant atmosphere, although everyone stationed here has been kind. But she feels a rising sense of dread that she cannot explain.

To occupy herself, she takes her communicator, hoping that there might be something for her from Velir. He must have received her message; even just a plain text in response would be a relief.

First, she is reminded of Thalen's message about the Vulcan lute. Kylah is embarrassed that she forgot to thank him--she must have dozed off before she had a chance. Quickly she types back: Thank you very much, sir. I will be grateful to have something to play, it is most generous of you--or whoever lent the instrument. I hope I will be able to return to duty this morning, but have not been discharged yet. She hesitates, looks over at the door, then adds: I believe the doctors are occupied with more urgent matters, but I am not sure. I promise I will report to you as soon as I am able.

Sending the message, she then searches to see if anything newer has arrived. And slowly closes her communicator when she realizes that... no. Velir has not replied to her at all.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham takes the gift bag and heads to Mess Hall 3 to find Rangin.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin sits in Mess Hall 3, a large cooked breakfast in front of him, which is rapidly being devoured and datapad to one side constantly being flicked on as he looks at the brief notes he has assembled.

One he is finished here, he will be off to the cargo bay to see how the setup is continuing as well as to speak to with Ens. Zweller and find out more about the prototype sensor
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Fully refreshed from her sleep and now ravenous, Nia walks through the Mess, having packed her tray heavily with a meal that probably looks more appropriate for someone the size of Rawlings. She eyes the tables for a place to sit. Her gaze gives a little hiccup when she spots Rangin, the subject of so much speculation yesterday. He appears to be busy stuffing his face and his mind simultaneously, working even through breakfast. Industrious little guy.

From the message he sent last night, it doesn't sound as if he'd had an advocate at the police interview. Which was a shame and, frankly, either bad judgment on his part or slimy behavior on the part of the Thoth detective. Then again, it's not some local cop's duty to make sure Rangin didn't say anything stupid. Someone on the crew should've been there to advise him.

Nia makes a mental note to talk to Vargas or even Singh about ensuring crew members are aware of protecting their rights, even when assisting law officers. All goes back to communication problems, she thinks.

Nia's sympathy toward Rangin only goes so far. The things Booker told her--his apparent certainty that Rangin's inflicted some kind of harm on Ensign Kylah--haunt the back of her mind. Still, she has no idea who's right or wrong, and this ambivalence doesn't preclude her being polite. So as she passes Rangin's table, she stops briefly. "Morning, Ensign," she says with a smile. "I'd sit down but clearly that datapad's the only company you want."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 23 Jul 2015 at 11:32 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cooper and Collins get in the shower together and start the day just right.

Dr. Giancarlo Bucci, a plump Italian man, enters Kylah's room with a cheery "Good morning!" After chatting a bit with her, he scans the young Communications officer and gives her a physical exam. Finally he says, "Good, very good. You've done well, Ensign. I'll discharge you now, if you wish, but I want you to let us know if you feel at all unwell over the next few days. All right? Any questions?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Thank you, doctor," Kylah says, a bit awkward at being examined by a man, and a human one at that. She should be used to it by now, but somehow her discomfort has gotten worse since joining the Yorktown and everything that has happened. "I believe Dr. Villa mentioned that I would need to have a biosensor to monitor my status a day after my release. Is that still the case?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin looks up from the datapad without a mouthful of food being steadily chewed as he recognises Lt Onn standing across the table. The chewing gets more vigorous as he hastens to finish the mouthful before speaking and he places a finger over his lips to stop them opening before finishing.

Once he is ready, he looks back up. "Ma'am, the chair is free, though I'm fairly certain I will be poor company at this moment. The datapad is just for the new prototype sensor we are assisting with."

Rangin nods briefly remembering the message sent yesterday, "Thank you once again for your message - your prescience of the situation - well I wish I had picked it up before I had attended the meeting instead of afterwards. Instead Lt. Cmdr Roble was only there for part of it instead of all. I don't believe I will make that mistake again, ma'am."

Rangin waits to see if Lt. Onn sits down and is sociable or if she is moving on to a different table.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Breakfast?" Jeremi asks Ben as she gets dressed, "Because I don't know about you, but I am ravenous." She winks at him and smiles.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"That is unfortunate," T'Var replies. "Of course, medical miracles do happen. And we will do what we can to make her as comfortable as possible."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Right you are," Dr. Bucci says, handing Kylah a small, flexible black plastic pad, about 10cm wide. "This is a new model we just got the specs for. It's waterproof and self-adhesive; just put it anywhere on your upper abdomen. If you remove it for bathing or any other reason, keep it within five meters of you. It'll provide continuous vital-sign readings to us here. Wear for at least a day, and I'll let you know if we need to extend the time. Anything else?"

The Rigellian orderly returns and leaves a neatly-folded uniform, boots, etc. at the foot of Kylah's bed.

"Starving," Cooper says as he finishes dressing, and takes Collins's hand.

Dr. Villa nods. "Yes, as we have all along. Please scan her yourself, check the latest data, and let me know if you have any other thoughts."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Jul 2015 at 10:46 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham arrives at the mess and immediately wishes he hadn't. Why of all people in the galaxy does Nia have to be talking to Rangin right at this freaking moment...?

Still he's resolved to do what needs to be done before his watch begins. A bit stiffly, he approaches the table. "Ni--Lieutenant, I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" His jaw tightens and he takes and exhales a breath, then places the bag on the table and turns toward Rangin. "This will only take a moment."

Registered
    Feb 2009

In the mess, Collins gets a cheese omelet and some sausage links, a cinnamon danish, and a large coffee. She looks around for a table while Cooper selects his breakfast. She sees Rangin and Lt. Onn at a table and Graham talking to them. Uh oh. Better put this down now, just in case. she thinks as she puts her tray on the closest table. She sits in the chair with a direct line of site to the others and hopes Graham won't do anything to spoil her good mood. She waits until Cooper sits with her to start eating.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah nods. "If you do not mind my asking, sir, how is Fujishiro? It must be difficult to handle such a case, when you know there is little that can be done. I know we are effectively just waiting for her body to just... give up. I had hoped that the spores on OCIII might have been worth a try, even if it was a long shot, but I suppose for whatever reason, that was decided against." She looks up at Bucci. "Is this something you have dealt with often? Deaths on board the ship?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

All Rangin's hopes for a good day, all his dreams of putting the past behind him, if only for a little while, end right there as Graham places the gift bag on the table. He doesn't miss the near mention of the officer's first name and his face darkens. Someone he thought would be at least neutral in the matter, probably isn't, especially if they are on first name terms. At this point, Lt. Onn is just another obstacle to overcome.

"This will take less than a moment, Mr Graham, considering it has been made perfectly clear where I stand. I am not interested in it, please take it away." Rangin calmly says with just a hint of distaste for the burly Ensign. He bites his tongue to prevent some of the harsher things he could say, but considering the location and the fact a senior officer is standing right there, who it would appear is compromised by her friendship with Graham, then it would be idiotic to start anything."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia suddenly has the oddest sense that everyone would prefer her to vanish. She's disappointed but one must accede to others' wishes, however arbitrary.

"Well, I don't think my knife's thick enough to cut the tension between you two gentlemen, and it's none of my business anyway. But I hope things work out." She smiles, nods, and walks away.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 24 Jul 2015 at 02:24 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's not sure what to make of--or do about--Nia walking away. But then again his attention is seized by Rangin's little pouty tantrum.

He can't help but shake his head. "I'll never understand how anyone could get their jollies from twisting another person's wish to make them happy into a weapon to make them feel small, failed, or--what's your new favorite word? 'Broken?'" Graham says, carefully keeping his voice level. "And I'm damned grateful for that. I confess I didn't want to give you the satisfaction of knowing that the fact that finding this for you planet-side seemed to mean a lot to Kylah. However...misguided and misplaced....her wishes I felt obligated to carry them out."

He leans forward just slightly. "But I guess you've already notched your belt to mark whatever sick way you keep score manipulating people's feelings. But this is still yours." He slides the bag a few millimeters toward Rangin, then stands back up. "You don't want it, at least have the balls to dispose of it yourself," he finishes, no longer able to keep disgust from his tone.

He pauses, the concludes he has nothing more to say and turns in the direction Nia went--although he's conflicted as to whether he should try to catch up with her or get the hell out of Dodge as expeditiously as possible.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is relieved that whatever drama was being played out at that table, no one shouted and no one got physical. What was in that bag Graham pushed at Rangin? she wonders. And why did Onn leave so quickly? Eh. I guess if it's important, I'll find out later. She shrugs and continues eating and chatting with Cooper.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cooper sits down with a slice of Veldisi sweet-melon, a cranberry muffin and a huge mug of coffee. He notices Collins's gaze towards the other table and follows it. "What's going on?" he murmurs.

Dr. Bucci looks at Kylah and says soberly, "I can't go into details, of course, but Mr. Fujishiro's condition has... worsened recently, I'm sorry to say. I'm usually not directly involved in her care but of course I keep an eye on her when I'm the duty doc. I've dealt with shipboard deaths from time to time, but not often, fortunately. You just have to remind yourself that mortality is a pretty damn-near-universal rule of sentient life. Death is part of existence; it awaits us all, sooner or later. As a doctor you have to do your very best to keep people healthy, but you can also never forget that sometimes your very best just won't be enough - can't be enough." He smiles ruefully. "Not an easy lesson to learn, though, you know?"

First Officer Vargas and Chief Engineer Cheverez enter the mess hall, talking with each other, and approach the bulkhead replicators.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Jul 2015 at 11:44 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah nods slowly. Bucci is far more talkative than either of the other Yorktown doctors, and his words give her much to think about. "I understand," she says. "But--but this is different. Fujishiro's situation... that was not inevitable."

She remembers seeing Fujishiro's uniform, stained darkly after the attack of the altered Sakathians, and the woman's worsening condition that was slower than but still similar to Mrs. Porr's. And her parents' deaths leap to mind--as do the horrifying sensations she'd experienced when shooting the Sakathians herself; feeling their last painful, chaotic emotions resulting from the blast of her own weapon.

Swallowing, she stares up at Bucci. "Some deaths are not natural. They are--precipitate. Accidents, malicious attacks. Murders," she adds hollowly as she realizes that she had basically been left for dead on Anubis. "You cannot get used to such things, surely?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin neatly packs his tray, no longer hungry from Mr Graham's interruption.

"Mr Graham," he quietly says as he stands up, "given I have only ever seen you get your kicks from the physical abuse of others, any claim to the moral ground you have is laughable. That object is not a gift, it's a bribe and one I have no desire to accept, whether from her errand boy or from the Ensign herself. But as you insist, I'll just take it straight back to her in Sickbay before my shift starts. Otherwise, I'm sure you'll just attack me again for no good reason."

Rangin neatly places the gift into his tray and starts to walk away. "You don't need to accompany me, I know the way and those petty restrictions of yours have been rescinded.".

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I'm not sure," Collins replies to Cooper, "but those two are like matter and antimatter, and I'm just dreading the explosion." After she sees Rangin and Graham display tense civility towards each other, she comments "No explosion this morning. Good."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bucci nods. "Those kinds of deaths are the hardest to deal with - but are not uncommon, out here in space. Goes with the territory, unfortunately."

Listening to Collins, Cooper scoops out some melon with his spoon and chews meditatively. "Here's hoping," he says.

Vargas and Cheverez put food and drink on their trays and sit down, still talking.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham almost turns around to confront Rangin as he goes on about some demented fantasy in his sick mind about the gift being a "bribe," but more importantly his statement he would return it to Kylah. Contact between the two of them was certainly not what Graham wanted to precipitate. But he catches himself: what was it Nia had said? You can't lock her in a cage. And any warning Graham would issue would surely just spur Rangin on.

He pauses briefly but does not turn around and keeps walking in Nia's direction. "Hey, ah, ahem, lieutenant..." he essays as he gets close behind her.

Registered
    Apr 2015

On her way to a table full of her colleagues, Nia hears Graham's voice, its quiet tone somehow cutting through the noise of the rest of the crowd better than any shout. She swivels on a heel, surprised. She wouldn't've thought whatever confrontation he intended with Rangin would be over this soon.

Nia smiles at his choice of address. It's appropriate, considering the difference in their ranks and the public nature of the meeting. But after their connection yesterday, she finds it charmingly formal. "Ensign," she responds in kind, her voice rich with amusement. "Thought you'd be busy with your pal back there."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Goes with the territory. Kylah finds Bucci's response callous, even if it is true. Dr. Villa, or even Dr. T'Var, never sounded this clinical. This man has a tougher shell than his joviality implies. Do his age and years of service inure him to what he has seen? Has he been forced to dismiss the grave nature of his patients' deaths--even the notion of murder that Kylah mentioned--in order to maintain his professional distance?

She looks down at Bucci's feet, not wanting her dismay to show. She should be more used to such things herself, considering everything she has dealt with in her young life. But perhaps her nature, her inability to control her empathic abilities, will mean she is forever experiencing things as if for the first time. Kylah wants to be tougher, that much is certain. She cannot crumple into despair at every loss. But she does not wish to harden if it means accepting... what should she call it? ...the obscenity of violence, of illness, of death. Better to treat these as the horrors they are than to take them in stride. Even if it means she suffers.

The reality of Fujishiro's situation puts her own circumstances with Velir into perspective. A dead romance--one that barely began--is far less serious than the very real death occurring not far from her. She is almost ashamed at having mourned a relationship she never deserved. What must Fujishiro's relatives be going through?

"I cannot imagine being that accepting of illness and violent deaths," she says softly. "Perhaps because I have borne the brunt of such things myself. I have been attacked four--no, five times in less than a month. And not just that..."

She cannot help think of the violence she herself has perpetrated. "On my first mission, I had to defend myself, and that meant... killing. They were altered creatures, some even called them 'zombies.' But they had been sentient, living beings, scientists, no different from you or me... or Fujishiro. I cannot forget that they are now dead because of me. I am haunted by that."

Too curious to prevent herself, she tries to see if Bucci is as dispassionate as he seems. Her mind reaches out automatically, just as her hand reaches for her uniform to dress herself, as she asks. "How would you handle such things, doctor? How does one heal from having to harm someone else?"
    Last edited by choie; 25 Jul 2015 at 10:17 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin stows the tray, picks the gift box up off it and heads to Sickbay, carefully holding it.

When he arrives, he asks if Ens. Kylah is still there and would it be possible to visit her.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bucci sighs. "I don't know that you ever do, not completely. Everyone has to find his or her own solution, Ensign. Remind yourself of your duty to your ship and shipmates, even in the most difficult circumstances. Think it through, pray about it, talk it over with family and friends, maybe even a psychiatrist. Dr. Noel is very talented. Would you like me to make an appointment for you? I have to admit, she's better at this than I am."

The duty nurse in Sickbay tells Rangin that Kylah is still there, but is with the doctor at the moment.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 26 Jul 2015 at 12:18 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"I am not sure I am ready for that, Dr. Bucci. But I will think about your advice," Kylah says. Kylah has been monitoring his emotions. What does she sense? "It might be worthwhile to talk to Dr. Noel. In the meantime, thank you for all you have said, I appreciate it. I had better get dressed now, so I may return to my quarters and clean up before going on duty."

She clutches the uniform to her and glances down at it. Suddenly realizes she never gave the orderly her size. Perhaps he had the outfit beamed from her wardrobe; that would have been kind of him. A very efficient crewman: prescient about the underwear and able to get her the correctly sized uniform. But he never got me the hot cocoa--and I would have liked that most of all, she thinks with a brief hint of a rueful smile.
    Last edited by choie; 26 Jul 2015 at 02:09 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's grasping for some clever small talk as he approaches Nia. Just before she turns around "Wow your ass looks really great this morning" comes to mind. Way to keep it classy, Booker.... He's spared using that or some other lame line when she speaks first--although his initial response is a moment of obvious confusion.

What pal...? Oh...

Graham clears his throat an resists the urge to turn around. "'Pal' isn't exactly the word I would use, but what's done is done..." he frowns slightly. "I hope I didn't make things worse." Then he shrugs. "But like you said yesterday, I can't lock Ensign Kylah in a cage for her own safety...especially 'her safety according to Booker Graham.' I doubt she'd put up with that even if it were possible."

He falls silent for a slightly awkward pause, then asks, "Uh, do you mind if I join you--for breakfast." He adds "Ma'am," after glancing around and realizing how public their conversation is. He smiles slightly "The way my luck's been going I may need my strength for anything ranging from getting stunned to burning down a building to souvenir hunting. Or all three, in the next watch."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia appraises him with pleasure, this strong, experienced man who must be several years her senior yet talks to her like a gawky teenager--at least, a human one. There's no concept of "teenager" on Sidonia.

"I'm honored that you remember my words," she says sincerely, meeting his gaze. "Sure, I'd be happy to eat with you. Although I warn you, I might not hear anything you say over my own chomping." She lifts her large tray for emphasis. "As you see, I take my meals pretty seriously."

With a tilt of her chin she gestures to a table for four, otherwise empty, and moves to it. As she sits, she adds with a sideways smile. "And don't be such a pessimist, Booker. Maybe that strength'll come in handy for something much more enjoyable later on." Nia picks up her mango juice, taking a sip before continuing. "You know... Wrestling. Swimming. Stuff like that." Her tone is innocent but her eyes twinkle at him over her cup with unmistakable mischief.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham can't help but grin. "Well, seeing as you're from a desert planet, you might appreciate a fine athletic and artistic tradition of wresting...in mud....on Earth."

He pauses. "Well, only it's not so much athletic, or artistic, really, more like...uh, prurient, and voyeuristic, I guess...but still, in mud, you see..."

He clears his throat and gestures toward the replicator. "Ah, maybe I'll get some food and then join you, in just a minute."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bucci bows slightly and leaves. As he does Kylah has a sense, on the surface, of his commitment to her, to his patients and to medicine generally, but beneath that is something... dark, something concealed. She is fleetingly aware of secrets and perhaps even danger, somehow, deeper within his psyche.

Just as she is finishing dressing, the Rigellian orderly returns with her mug of cocoa. He says, "Dr. Bucci asked me to hold off with this until he'd completed his exam. Sorry about that." He has either rewarmed it or gotten a new mug, as it is steaming hot.

The duty nurse sees Dr. Bucci go by, smiles at Rangin and says, "Ens. Kylah may be available for visitors now. Would you like me to ask her?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is pensive as she finishes dressing, disturbed by what she felt from Bucci. Of course, they were discussing such unpleasant things, and doctors see so much. Perhaps Bucci saw battle injuries, even took part in a fight himself, and regrets having harmed someone just as she does...

But why such secrets? And such-- Kylah cannot even describe it to herself--that danger, darkness? It is disconcerting and a significant contrast to his overall jolly attitude. She frowns, concerned by the dichotomy. Kylah herself hides much, but she does not think she presents a completely false face to others. Bucci seems to wear a mask that hides pain, or anger, or even something much worse. It reminds her... three visions spring to mind: Her uncle, of course--outwardly so serene, polite and often kind, but seething with plans and deceit; Velir's normally calm demeanor, turned into openly cruel hostility; and of course, the men--literally masked--who beat her for no reason, who lied and betrayed her.

Now she shudders even though she is fully dressed. I am foolish, she thinks in anger and frustration. I have now equated Bucci to deception, cruelty and criminals, all from one brief discussion. Perhaps I should see Dr. Noel. Whatever Bucci has hidden in his past, it surely has nothing to do with me. I should not have infringed on his privacy anyway. She hugs herself for comfort nonetheless and decides not to think of this for now. And then the orderly returns, and provides her with exactly what she wants.

"Oh, thank you, Mr. Helisel," Kylah says with gratitude, cupping her cold fingers around the mug's reassuring warmth. "I should have known you would not forget. You must hear this all the time, but although no one wishes to be in sickbay, you have made it as comfortable as possible. All of you." She leans against the bunk and takes a long, much-needed sip of the sweet, comforting drink. Replicated or not, it is rich and familiar and delicious, and almost gives her the strength to return to duty and face others.
    Last edited by choie; 27 Jul 2015 at 12:33 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin nods politely to the duty nurse. "Yes, please, if you wouldn't mind?" He steels himself to return the gift to Kylah. Perhaps once he had, he could just get on with his life. He didn't know what games she and Graham were playing but he wanted no part of it anymore.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The duty nurse passes Helisel as he's leaving. "Ens. Rangin is here to see you," she tells Kylah. "The doctor has approved your discharge and you're free to go, if you wish."

Registered
    Mar 2012

The news that Velir is outside to see her gives Kylah a far greater shock than the news that she is free to leave Sickbay. At once she lowers her mug, staring stupidly at the aide, then at the door beyond which Velir must be waiting for her.

He is here, she thinks, a sudden thrill rippling through her. He came back to me. He must have heard the message I left!

At last she shakes herself from her stupor. "Thank you," she stammers to the aide. Somehow she sets the mug down without shattering it on the small table, then picks up the plate of Bellaque and her battered canvas bag. With a deep breath, she exits the private room and enters the main Sickbay area.

With the aide still in her former room, Velir is alone. Just seeing him makes Kylah want to smile, but she cannot. She is too afraid to do so. She does not want to ruin anything by appearing too confident, especially since it is far from the truth. Instead she just sets the bag down on the floor, and the Bellaque on a counter, and stands with her hands clasped. "Velir," she says softly, unable to hide the tremulous anticipation from her voice.

Rangin was all smiles when he thanked the aide earlier, but by the time he turns round to find Kylah now before him, his face is emotionless as he looks at her once again.

"I see you have made a recovery from your injuries." The tone is clipped off as he struggles to say anything further. He doesn't want to see a fellow crewmember injured and just wants this done and dusted.

Kylah's mood starts to sink once she sees Velir's expression--rather, the lack of one. He could be speaking to a stranger, or even just a wall. But she is so desperate to believe he has come to bridge the chasm that she decides he is just being careful, shy, maybe even too proud to reveal his emotions just yet.

She steps a few inches closer. "Yes," she murmurs. "The wounds have healed. Though my left wrist is still stiff. I do not think it will ever fully recover, not after also being injured by the slime devil attack..."

Kylah swallows. Perhaps reminding him of their mutual battle will help him recall the bond they share? Finally she blurts: "Velir, are you here because you heard--"

"I came to return your gift." Rangin holds up the box from behind his back, his hand still steady. "Ens. Graham was unkind enough to present it to me at breakfast. I didn't want it when you first presented it and I don't want it now. Rather than just leave it sitting on a table in the Mess Hall, I though I had better return it." Holding it out like it could bite him at any moment, Rangin only wants to put it down and walk away.

Kylah's eyes widen. "How did you get--I thought it was still..." She looks down at her bag on the floor, and then swiftly returns to Velir when she digests his words. "Mr. Graham gave that to you? I never asked him to do that," she says, flushing. "But since he did... why will you not keep it? I bought it for you, it is yours."

Rangin cannot believe she didn't want Graham to pass it across, why else would she have given it to him in the first place? Perhaps between the pair of them they had cooked up this idea so she could disclaim all knowledge of it and maintain her facade of innocence.

He shakes his head in disgust, steps across and places the gift on a nearby table. "I'm only going to say this once, do not try to buy my affection again. Graham said that finding it meant a lot to you. Well, given everything he's said and you've done, I don't believe it. There, you can have it back, I'm sure it contains something generic enough to please the next poor fool who falls for your charms."

Every frigid word he utters just stabs further at Kylah's shriveling dreams. Even without trying she feels the chill of his contempt. She shakes her head, unable to comprehend how Velir could be so hard, how he could misunderstand her so completely. How he could think she misunderstands him so completely.

"You are wrong. I did not--I would never want to buy your affection. Even if I were the sort of woman who would try such a ploy... I know you are not someone who can be bought. I would not feel as I do if you were."

Her voice is as taut as her poor zither's former strings. "Velir," she says, begging now, "did you not hear what I said in my message to you last night? Did you not listen?"

There is a cold shiver down Rangin's spine as he can almost feel the tap, tap, tap of a set of painted fingernails across his shoulder. Of course I bought you gifts to keep you away from her...you're mine. An angry, raging cry echoes through his memories.

"Listen?" he croaks out, "No, I didn't listen to you...your message. It came while I was being interviewed by a Detective from Anubis." Rangin can feel himself getting angry again, he had been there because of Kylah. "They wanted to know all sorts of things, like did I know what you were up to, did I know about your zither, were we romantically involved? As if I was responsible for you being attacked, is that the price I pay for not being compliant?"

The whirling emotions surrounding him confuse her. Kylah feels slapped by the vicious rage, the righteous indignation Velir is exuding. Then he reveals that the detective spoke to him... She is sick with mortification at hearing the questions Lunnd asked him.

"Velir," she says fervently, "you must believe that I never, ever made anyone think you were to blame. You could not have been! I defended you! And as for the other questions..." She feels her face burn. "I have no idea how he knew you and I are--were--connected. He asked that of me as well. All I expressed were my own feelings. I said nothing about yours. I would not presume to know them."

The shame of his being asked such intrusive questions lowers her gaze. "I am sorry you were involved," she whispers. "I did not ask to be attacked, you know. You act as if I were robbed, beaten and left on a filthy floor simply to inconvenience you. That is not fair." Finally she cannot stop herself from asking: "What... what did you tell him?"

"Inconvenience me? I wouldn't wish what happened to you on anyone. Just how callous do you think I am?" Rangin cannot believe what he is hearing, after everything he did to find her--more than anyone else on the ship.

"And no, I didn't say anything to them. Whatever you were up to down there is for you to continue keeping secret. I want no part of it. It's just another you will be keeping along with all the others. Perhaps that is what this gift was really for, to buy me and my silence, keep me so enamoured with you, it wouldn't matter."

Rangin cannot help the tone of self-disgust creeping in to his voice, as shadows from long past seem to darken the room until he is not sure if the words are aimed at Kylah or at a figure that sometimes haunts his dreams.

The accusation almost slams into Kylah's chest, and she actually steps back in disbelief. Buying his silence! Kylah cannot breathe for the pain--not even just her own, but his. It emanates from him: he is hurt, grievously; these are genuine emotions. What did she do to make him think she is so base? What did she do to deserve such contempt?

Then a small response comes to her: I did nothing.

This inner voice, almost a whisper, begins to swell in volume. For the first time, Kylah's own anger begins to rise, because for the first time she realizes that this is the truth: regardless of the things she has withheld from him, she does not deserve such treatment.

"How dare you," she whispers, her chin lifting and hands clenching into fists. "How dare you speak to me like that? Do you know what it meant to me, to trust you as I did? And yes, I did trust you. The night before, I offered you myself. I bared my heart and body to you. You claim I share such things lightly, but that is false, more false than you can know. It is clear you understand very little of who I am, whereas I...I..."

She sobs, losing control--the last thing she wants to do now. Angrily she wipes the tears away, and just as quickly she holds her hand out to him. "There! Here is proof for you! Why would I waste my time with trinkets to 'buy' your silence? I am an Elasian woman--or half, anyway--and if I were as venal as you think, I would simply wipe one tear on your cheek and you would do anything I wished. But I have not. I would not. Think on that."

She hates being this forceful with him. Kylah's shoulders slump and she weakens slightly. The fact that poor Fujishiro is dying only yards away makes this entire thing seem even more disgraceful and inappropriate.

"This is madness. Please, Velir. Please do not let things degenerate to this. We were so close. If we could just talk later, when we are off-duty? I will... I will try to explain what I was doing on the planet. I promise. As for the gift, I just wanted to make you happy. To show you... to show you that I do know you, better than you realize."

"Better than I realise?" Rangin snaps. "You don't know me at all. I certainly don't know who you are. Talk later, that's all you ever say, I'll tell you later. Why should I believe you, when you never tell me the truth in the first place? You lied to me, remember your zither?"

He shakes his head. "Those tears of yours, you won't use them because the first time you did, you would never get another chance to use them again. No, why not just spend some money, an expensive dinner or a gift, and keep me sweet."

What does she know about me? They have only known each other for such a short time, how could she possibly know who he is, while standing there so oblivious to hurt and pain she's causing?

The disgust urges him forward, striding to the table with the gift box. "You say you know me? Well, let's prove it, shall we? If you know me so well, just what's so special that you thought it could buy me?" He reaches across and starts to rip at the packaging around the gift. The paper around it will not take long to tear off, and then whatever miserable little trinket inside will be revealed.

Kylah is aghast that the present she considered so tenderly is about to be ripped open with such violence. Unbidden, her minded is flooded with visions of the thieves' filthy hands rifling through her bag, ripping open her mothers' jewel box, even tearing her dress to grab the communicator between her breasts.... She cannot bear it.

"Open it, then," she cries, her voice shrill and barely containing her rising hysteria. "But you will do it alone. Mock me alone. I have had enough, more than enough!"

She spins around and grabs her bag and the plate of Bellaque, then rushes to the door. As it whooshes open, Kylah turns around and flings at him:

"You consider Ensign Graham an uncouth brute. But I will tell you this, Velir Rangin: He is far kinder to me and has earned my trust. Whereas your rigid, moral superiority has made you a vicious, callous bully!"

Without waiting to see him desecrate her lovingly purchased gift, she stalks through the door into the corridor, at last letting her angry tears fall unheeded.

Rangin barely heeds her words as the paper is torn from around the box as he scatters it across the table in rage and then spins the small case around to stare at the gift in front of him. And it's...

...it's beautiful.

Even in his rage, the exquisite glass statue looks back at him. A twin-horned beast, proud and noble with an expression of strength somehow shown in its stance. Faced with a creature, Rangin cannot help but try to name it. It's...it's...an Arabok, he thinks, dragging the name from his memory, from books studied long ago, books that filled him with happiness and wonder.

He can almost picture the text under the old pictures, but his surprise and anger cloud his mind and the words he should be so easily able to remember slip away like the paper he so recently tore, leaving him despairing.

Opening the glass case, he discovers a little tag explaining about the creature, the words now springing forth as sharp reminder of what this animal represents, and of what he is losing. "The Arabok: indigenous to Anubis, known for its intelligence and perseverance. The alpha Arabok grows twin spiral horns to show his dominance over his herd."

Through shallow breaths, he puts the note down and looks at the note attached to it.
    Velir,

For the man as strong, intelligent and noble as this beautiful creature... which I know you will recognize, for your love of natural life is part of what I myself love in you.

Yours, Kylah.
    Rangin is stunned. Is this really what Kylah thought of him, something he could never have seen in himself? And because of that, he had forced her away, bullied her.

He remembers their shared respect for the lifeforms on the Sakathian station, as horrific creatures as they were. He remembers some of the times they spent together on OCIII, not the romantic ones, not the dangerous ones, but the quiet times, just being together and how they had both missed the wildlife around.

In those moments Kylah did know him, perhaps more than he would care to admit.

The statuette slips from his grasp and lands on the table, fortunately cushioned by some of the wrapping paper as Rangin's emotions swirl around him. Clutching the note tightly in one hand, he stares down at it, the words in Kylah's neat, elegant handwriting.

Has he completely misunderstood this woman? For a moment he doesn't know what to think, as Kylah's final words echo back to him and he wonders where he had gone so very, very wrong.

Credits: Velir & Kylah by CatInASuit and choie
    Last edited by choie; 27 Jul 2015 at 11:33 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's ill-suppressed smile makes it clear she isn't offended by Graham's joke. Picking up a piece of toast, she uses it to gesture gracefully toward the replicator, inviting him to get his food before he runs out of apologetic explanations. And once he retreats, she knows she will surreptitiously enjoy the view.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham checks the time and is grateful he has time to eat and that the unpleasant task of giving Rangin a gift he deserved shoved so far up his--well, didn't deserve to be handed politely. He harbors some hope that his intention to return it will confirm to Kylah once and for all he's worth neither her affection nor her time.

But that's out of my hands for the moment, he thinks, filling his plate with steak, eggs, blood pudding and--almost as an afterthought--some roasted tomatoes. Nobody does breakfast like the Scots even after hundreds and hundreds of years since we no longer needed to mix blood with oatmeal to survive the winter, he muses.

Regretfully he concedes its too close to duty to spike his coffee--not that doing so might have made the best impression on Nia, he realizes.

As he returns to her table he offers Collins a wave and nod--noting she's there with Ben, which seems like a good thing to Graham.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins returns Graham's wave and notices he's heading to sit with Lt. Onn. She raises one eyebrow and smiles. She nods in that direction and tells Ben "Starfleet makes another match."

Registered
    Sep 2009

In the corridor, Kylah nearly collides with Lt. Thalen, who says, "I was just coming to see you!" Then he notices her expression, and asks, very concerned, "What's wrong, Kylah? Are you all right?"

Dr. Bucci approaches Rangin and asks quietly, "Is there a problem, Ensign? Anything I can help with?"

Cooper chuckles through a mouthful of cranberry muffin. "Chalk another one up for the Federation's finest taxpayer-supported interstellar dating service."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Shaken, Kylah does her best to pull herself together, wiping her tears on her uniform sleeve in an undignified manner. "Lieutenant, please forgive me. I was not looking where I was going, I am hurrying to drop my things off at my quarters and clean up before my watch--I am fine, this is nothing--" When his gentle concern does not seem convinced, she feels fresh tears spill over.

"I suppose it is just... frustration, anger..." She searches for some explanation. "You see, when I was discharged from sickbay, I could not even dress in my own uniform. The thieves took that along with my money and jewelry, and ruining my zither and communicator... I just feel as if nothing was left intact." Kylah shakes her head, aching with the hollowness caused by Velir's demeaning words, his extraordinarily uncharitable estimation of her character.

But she must not continue showing such weakness in front of Thalen. Harnessing every ounce of strength she possesses, she struggles to regain control. "I am sorry, it is shameful to act like this in front of my superior. I will be all right once I am back on duty and everything returns to normal, I promise. There is nothing I wish more than to put this behind me and return to my post. After all the trouble and delay I have caused, I do not wish to put anyone else at any further inconvenience. That is the least I can do."

Kylah blinks and realizes she has not let the lieutenant speak. "Forgive me, sir, I have gone on and on... You said you wished to see me? Was it just a visit, or do you have an assignment or task for me...?" Suddenly she glances down and notices that--rather ridiculously--Thalen has caught her not just crying, but carrying a plate of candied pastry. Awkward, she holds the dish out. "Would you... like to try some of this? It is an Elasian dessert, but it can be eaten at breakfast. Ship's Cook Johnson made it for me. It is very good."
    Last edited by choie; 27 Jul 2015 at 11:18 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia takes a bite out of one of her sausages and chews contemplatively while watching Graham. "So," she says when she swallows. "I had the distinct feeling three was a crowd back there, knowing how you feel about Rangin. Everything... okay? Doesn't look like it's affected your appetite, at least," she adds with an appreciative glance at his heavy tray. Turning sober, she tilts her head. "Seriously. Any news on the crime front? Last thing I heard, the cops only had two of the muggers. Are you going to be involved in the hunt to find the third guy? 'Course, once my watch starts I'll know if--and/or when--we'll be departing orbit, which'll confirm that our role in the investigation's over."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham realizes he's shoveling food into his mouth like there's no tomorrow--didn't really eat enough after the weights yesterday, he realizes, then forces himself to slow down.

He swallows and puts down his fork, looking at Nia as she does that cute sort of tilt of her head thing she does sometimes...

"Well," he answers slowly. "I think Ens. Kylah would be far better off if Rangin were transferred to study fossilized lichen on a frozen asteroid so far out on the Frontier that the local star chart says 'Here be dragons." He pauses and then shrugs. "But if wishes were horses, right?" He shakes his head. "I don't know, we'll see, I guess."

He picks up his fork and pokes at his food. "On the crime front...I'm not sure. I think Lunnd is pretty solid, though. He'll do as good as job putting the screws to these assholes to get them to roll over as we could, I think." He looks up. "Sorry...Security shop talk probably sounds like a bunch of chimps hooting compared to Helm and Nav, talking about azimuths and stuff."

Registered
    Feb 2009

It takes a few moments for Rangin to look around and realise Dr Bucci is talking to him and a few moments longer to notice the state of the area with bits of wrapping paper scattered around and the statue on the table still staring back at him.

"I believe I have a very large problem sir and I do not think it will matter how skilled the physician, they still do not have a cure for hubris," he says quietly back to the Doctor. "I am terribly sorry, I appear to have scattered paper everywhere. I'll clean it up immediately."

Making sure the statue is safe on the table, Rangin begins to quickly pick up the bits of wrapping into a small ball as he tries to consider what he should do next, his thoughts only on the moment of now, of tidying up and trying not to think of what he had been called, perhaps deservedly so by Kylah or what he should do later to unravel the mess he had caused, which would be a far larger job than the one he is currently undertaking.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thalen says, "Uh, no, thanks," to Kylah's offer of pastry. "Come with me, please, Ensign." He leads her to a nearby observation lounge, away from the curious eyes of passersby in the corridor, and leans against the table there. "I was just dropping by Sickbay to see how you were doing." He pauses. "You've been through a lot lately, Kylah. Are you sure you're up to a return to duty? Would you rather have some time to yourself? I'll order whichever you think would do you the most good."

Dr. Bucci says wryly to Rangin, "No, no cure for hubris. I know a lot of doctors who could use a dose, if there were." He helps the young xenobiologist pick up the debris. "Anything else I can do for you, Ensign?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Jul 2015 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling correction.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin sits back on his haunches and accepts the shreds of wrapping paper from Dr Bucci, before scrumpling them into a ball ready for disposal. Rising to his feet to acknowledge the question he shakes his head wearily. "No, sir, I believe what lies before me is a problem of my own construction and the best and probably only solution is to think long and hard about the situation."

He picks up the status and looks at it, before neatly folding the note and the gift tag and replacing them all back into the case. Kylah had completely surprised him, despite his treatment of her leaving him wondering if he even deserved such a gift. A gift she got because she had dumped him in a bar on Anubis. They both had things to talk about, and Kylah had promised, but Rangin didn't know if he could hold her to it. Perhaps later, let things calm down, let his own emotions calm down. Now isn't the time to make any rash decisions.

Aware that he has spent the last few seconds unmoving and looking the case, Rangin coughs slightly. "It's quite the piece isn't it sir? I'd better put this away before I start my watch. Thank you, sir, for your kindness." Rangin leaves to go back to his quarters and stow the gift before heading to the Science bay and begin his testing on the new proto-sensor.

It's not the only background research he will be doing. He promised himself only a few days ago, to find out about Kylah and if he is going to be doing research, it's time to expand it in scope a little.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins takes her last gulp of coffee, and says to Cooper "Shall we?" She stands and gathers the remnants of her meal onto the tray. Once they have properly disposed of their trays, she kisses Ben "Have a good day at the office, honey." and giggles a little. Then she heads to the Bridge for the start of her watch.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Blood seems to freeze in Kylah's veins at the thought of being ordered off-duty. She does her best to hide her desperation, but she cannot help either the earnest need that draws her closer to Thalen, or the urgency in her voice.

"No, thank you, sir. I wish to serve, to work and be useful. There would be nothing worse than to be all alone and unproductive. That would make me feel more of a victim, and--and then they truly will have taken everything from me, even my value to the ship."

Kylah searches the lieutenant's eyes, wondering if she is getting through to him. "Please, sir," she says softly. "I understand your concern, but I promise I will hold things together. I will not let you down."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Of course," T'Var tells Dr. Villa. "It never hurts to look things over yet again. Perhaps I may notice something I did not before."

The doctor pauses a moment. "However, if this is the end, we will need to prepare for the reaction of our crew. Fujishiro's death -- whenever it comes -- will be most difficult on all of us."

Closed thread