Closed thread
Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #4: "Codex Aelyrr"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Disturbed from reading the documentation by the call, Rangin puts the notes down and accepts it listening to what Lt. Onn is saying.

A slow feeling of relief that his work had accomplished something washes over him. "Thank you, ma'am. It means a lot. I'm just relieved what little I could do has helped out." he says softly, with a tinge of regret knowing he cannot share this little moment of triumph with Kylah.

She may not care for him any more and it was obvious Security didn't give a damn, but it still mattered to him.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vargas and Lunnd shake hands, and the First Officer welcomes him aboard. Lunnd briefly tells him what has been learned in the investigation so far. Vargas says, "Thank you, Detective. We appreciate the attention being paid to this matter by the Thoth Constabulary. Mr. Collins, please keep me updated." He goes on his way.

Collins and Lunnd proceed to Sickbay. Graham arrives soon after. An orderly shows the three into Kylah's recovery room.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Kylah," Collins approaches her roommate "this is Detective Lunnd. He's heading up the investigation on Anubis. If you'd like me to stay while you two talk...?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's breath turns shallow when the door slides open to reveal the threesome. Seeing Graham among them relaxes her muscles slightly, and she sends a relieved and grateful glance to him. Then Collins offers to stay as well. Kylah's gaze now shifts to the detective. Will he find it strange that she needs so much support? She tries to gauge this stranger's mood. Is he sympathetic? Businesslike? Indifferent?

"Yes, please, Lt. Collins," she says, the words coming out more as an exhale than speech. She moistens her lips and tries to examine all three at the same time. "First, I must thank all of you. I hear you might have caught them. That is... astonishing. I would not have thought it possible to work so quickly."

The more she talks the colder and smaller she feels. Kylah reaches out mentally to T'Var, hoping some of the Vulcan's resolve and emotional strength will radiate to cover her like an extra blanket. "Please tell me no one was injured during any of this. I could not bear to think I was the cause of anyone..." She darts a desperate look at Graham and Collins. "Is everyone all right?"
    Last edited by choie; 29 Jun 2015 at 12:12 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Everyone is fine." Collins tells Kylah. "The worst that happened is we got rained on." She smiles and puts her hand on Kylah's shoulder in a comforting manner.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Before entering Kylah's room in Sickbay, Graham clears his head. This isn't the time to be thinking of Rangin, or this Lez scumbag: his reason for being here is to make Kylah--a victim, and witness--feel safe and comfortable.

He centers both his mind and body and performs a few moments of breathing exercises--almost as if he were about to do martial arts sparring with a skilled partner. Focused, alert, but relaxed, knowing there was absolutely zero danger.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Though she returns Collins's kind smile, Kylah's muscles tense in automatic reaction to her touch. She manages to utter some sincere words of relief that no one was harmed, but her mind is screaming Get off me, get off me even as the inevitable burning sensation races from Collins's consoling fingertips on her shoulder to her eyes. There is Collins's intention to comfort, she can still sense that, but on top of the other woman's emotions is a searing dizziness roiling in Kylah's mind.

Why is this happening? It is like nothing she has felt before. She shrinks inward and, searching for some pretext, any pretext, to extricate herself from Collins's hand, she bends down to reach for her bag. Why will she not get the message? Kylah pleads inwardly, grabbing at the ripped strap and jerking it upwards from the floor. Must I shout that I do not wish to be touched?

She sidles away from Collins, as well-meaning as the other woman is, and hugs the bag to her again. It strikes her for the first time that it is strange that the bag has not already been taken as evidence. But she is glad that, for whatever reason, it has not. The remnants of her zither and the sole remaining dress are still inside, and she wants them all: the dust that was once spider-web-thin crystal, the powder that was once gleaming slate, and the pretty light blue dress now covered in both. Kylah does not want anyone else to have them, even for a moment.
    Last edited by choie; 29 Jun 2015 at 03:47 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Det. Lunnd is a middle-aged man of average appearance in a nice suit. He has a calm, businesslike demeanor. He seems to notice Kylah's body language and does not offer to shake hands. He takes a seat near her and says, "You can have anyone in the room that you like while we talk to one another, but I will ask them to say nothing to prompt you during my questioning. This is just between you and me, Ensign. Is everyone agreed?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is not sure if Lunnd is asking her the question, but regardless of what the others do, she nods silently. Her face feels numb and affectless.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins nods and moves to stand by T'Var.

Registered
    May 2013

It's not totally lost on Graham that Lund's admonition gets hims off the hook from speaking up if anything Kylah says now conflicts with what she confided in him earlier, at least in the moment.

He moves to take a position next to the head of Kylah's bed, hands clasped behind him, facing out toward the door as if on diplomatic security duty for a dignitary.

On his way he nods to Lunnd. "Understood, Detective." He gives a little nod to Kylah and says quietly, "The detective's job is arresting the people who did this to you. I know you'll do your best to help make that possible." Just before he pivots into position he leans forward and says as softly as he can, intended for her ears only, "Just because nobody else will be blabbing away doesn't mean you're alone."

He takes his intended position and starts running through by-the-book threat assessments: meters and tick tock from door-to-Kylah, me-to-bed, species reaction times (Vulcan will be faster on average than human, and so on).

He'd had assignments supporting DiploSec, but never a primary role: one in which it was expected that you shield your charge with your own body if necessary, without hesitation. He's not sure he could do that "on assignment" at the flip of a switch for whatever muckety-muck he happened to be assigned to guard on any given day. But he's sure he could do that now for Ens. Kylah if it were necessary.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Try as he might, Rangin feels uncomfortable and cannot concentrate on the figures and diagrams in front of him. Thoughts of Kylah keep running through his mind following the good news from Lt. Onn and Rangin cannot deny that it is good news. It just seems so hollow with no-one to share it.

However, if the perpetrators have been caught, there is one last thing to sort out and then, perhaps, he can put it out of his head and start working again. He accesses the computer and sends a note to Lt. JG. Collins as perhaps the best person to resolve Rangin's headache.

Though it sickens him to have to deal with Security again, and certainly someone who has little respect for him, she is in charge of the investigation and if it helps to resolve some tension between the two roommates, well they were welcome to each other. With luck, it would keep them away and Rangin can forget all about the pair.

To Lt. JG Collins,

Would you be able to assist with a request made of Hathor LEO. Among the items found in the crime scene were some remains of Ens. Kylah's zither and I requested that they be returned once they had been catalogued and they had no further use of them. I believe that Ens. Kylah would prefer to have them returned to her than they remain in an evidence locker. As I have been informed that some of the perpetrators have been discovered, would it be possible for you to request their return?

Rangin felt crushed. He knew that the zither was important to her, almost as much as his own N'horel. A little piece of him wants to ignore it, leave it mouldering on Anubis tagged and unseen, a open wound in Kylah's heart, but he cannot and will not. Ens. Graham would have no problems in forgetting something like this and he wasn't going to sink to that level. Besides, he thought wryly, everytime someone accuses him, he can think back to this and know that the accusation was a lie.

Looking over the brief message, it wasn't enough. Collins inward-looking nature needs a little prodding, a little something for her to gain from this. Thinking back to how he found Kylah initially, Rangin smiles an evil little smile. He can give Collins something that would appeal to her detective senses and also help to convict those caught. Would Collins have already though of it: forcing a confession from someone perhaps, using the evidence obliquely, no it was unlikely. Rangin continues typing...

Further to this, the material the zither was made from is a fairly unique stone of a type not found on Anubis. As the zither was smashed, it is highly likely that anyone smashing it would have dust particulates of that material embedded in their clothing. Given its rarity, if fragments of that type were found on the clothing of the assailants it would be a physical indicator they had been responsible for the assault and further proof of culpability.

I hope this information is of use to the investigation.

Ens. Rangin

Most people looking at the zither would have thought it was just stone, without considering where it could have come from. As they smashed it, they marked themselves as the culprits. Rangin nods in appreciation of the irony as he attaches the physical signature of the zither to the note and sends it off.

Once it is gone, he sits back in the chair and relaxes. The last thing he can do with Anubis is done, the rest is out of his hands. Feeling the weight lifting from his shoulders, he no longer has to worry about Kylah or Collins or anyone else, he can just get on with life.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I do not know," T'Var answers. "I would assume the detective would wish to speak with you first. And I am certain you would not need to confront the suspects in such a direct way."

Registered
    Sep 2009

I assume WES posted that before Det. Lunnd entered the room.

The Thoth cop takes a small datapad from his coat pocket, touches a control and sets it on Kylah's bedside table. "Ens. Kylah, as you know, I'm investigating the attack on you and the theft of your property. This will be your official police statement, and everything you say is being recorded. Anything you remember about what happened, anything at all, might turn out to be useful. If there's something you later remember after our talk here today, please let me know as soon as possible. What matters is that you're completely honest and forthright. If, at any time, you'd like any of these folks to step out of the room for some particularly... difficult part of your story, just say so. All right? Now, just take it from the top, and tell me what happened from the time you first went down to the surface."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins hears her communicator beep. "Excuse me," she says, and steps out of the room so as not to disturb Kylah and Lunnd. She reads Rangin's message and replies
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will take care of it. And thank you for all your help with the investigation. I imagine we would still be searching the planet for Kylah if you hadn't come up with a way to pinpoint her location.
    She then calls the Bridge. "Collins here. Please put me through to Office Pendleton of the Hathor police department. Standing by."
    Last edited by anyrose; 30 Jun 2015 at 09:38 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var closely observes everything and everyone in the room. She will check the monitors carefully as Kylah is questioned to make sure her readings remain steady.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Staring at the datapad as if it is a timed explosive, Kylah begins quietly and in a monotone. "I went down to the planet this morning--ship's time--with a friend. Colleague. Ensign Velir Rangin. I had brought my bag with me, this bag, because I wished to repair my musical instrument. It was an heirloom and I had found a music shop while researching up on the ship. I... I had forgotten that the bag contained some other objects from a trip I had taken before I arrived on the Yorktown. Some clothes. And a bag of jewelry."

She avoids Graham, and most especially T'Var, as she recites the lies that will help explain her behavior on the planet. The thought of the jewelry pains her, and she bows her head to look at the bag before lifting her gaze to the space between Lunnd and Graham. She describes finding the music shop closed and then her and Velir's coming across the bar, and carefully--not wanting to get the bartender involved or lie too much depending on what he has already said--explains:

"The man seemed knowledgeable and I asked him if he could help me. He knew someone. I would need cash, not credits, and I did not know how to exchange them. He thought he could guide me, and later, when Vel... Mr. Rangin left for the restroom, a man came in and the bartender indicated that this person would be a good contact. So I followed him down to the basement. There was an office there," she adds quickly, realizing how squalid it all sounds.

"He was... businesslike. It all seemed very simple and straightforward. I would give him credits and pay a small surcharge, and he would give me cash--Andorian crowns. But I needed to wait, since he did not have the cash on him. It all made sense. I did not think there was anything wrong, and I... I am good at sensing others' motives. Or I thought I was." Kylah flushes and glances at the detective. "I have been wrong a lot lately," she murmurs.

She continues, explaining how she was told to come back in an hour, her request for more time being granted by Lt. Thalen, and her discovery that Velir had disappeared. It is harder for her to maintain her composure, and her words begin to falter. "I did not know where he was. It was my fault, I should not have taken so long. But I contacted him and we agreed to meet up. I went to buy a gift, a small token, just to make up for being rude, and then..."

Kylah frowns now and looks down at her bag again, puzzled. Where did the gift bag go? She is distracted for a few seconds, shakes her head, then tries to continue.

"And then I met up with him. He was--he was angry, because I had kept him waiting, and I understand that. It was my fault," she repeats, and the memories of Velir's ugly barrage of words comes rushing forward to assault her again. Kylah stops speaking. There is no reason to bring up something this personal and shameful. She clutches her bag more tightly. "A-anyway, he decided to go back up to the ship without me. It was understandable, I had permission to stay, but he did not, so... so I left as he was about to beam back." Her eyes burn with unshed tears but she does not let them conquer her.

She goes on without too much alteration. She does mention that she noticed there were many in the bar who looked distrustfully at her uniform, and so she changed out of it into one of the dresses she had brought along, just to avoid the stares. The entire money exchange is easy to describe, it was so quick and terse.

"I went back up and out of the bar, and now had to go find the place I had been told of. I do not even remember the name. My memory is foggy..." She touches her fingertips to her still sore temple and shakes her head weakly, her apologetic and embarrassed gaze meeting Lunnd's before she drops it again.

"I suppose I was not paying enough attention except to the street names. It was foolish, I now had this heavy, expensive briefcase with me, plus my heavy bag, and I must have seemed ignorant of my surroundings. Anyone could have followed me. People had seen me in the bar, they could have seen me in the streets, and I... I do not know. It was getting late and I just wanted to do what I needed to, and leave. I stopped to look at a map, and then...something started to happen to me. I felt... something was pulling at me. Tingling. I--I do not remember exactly. I might be misremembering, because I believe I was transported, and so I imagine I must have felt something. I think I did, but I... I just do not know..."

Kylah, getting more distressed, notices a buzz of nervousness throughout her body. Her muscles are as tense as if, now that she is closer to discussing the actual attack, her body must prepare to defend herself again, to feel the pain again. She clutches her trembling hands--they seem ice-cold--and turns to T'Var and Graham in turn. "I am sorry," she croaks. "May I... may I have some water, please?" She turns to the policeman, again bashful. "Excuse me," she says, her voice hollow. "It is difficult. If you need to ask me anything in the meantime..."
    Last edited by choie; 30 Jun 2015 at 01:18 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pendleton comes on the line with Collins. "What's up, Lieutenant?"

Det. Lunnd pours Kylah a cup of cold water from a nearby carafe and hands it to her. He is careful to maintain a neutral expression, but Kylah thinks he already seems skeptical. He scratches an ear and says, "Go on when you're ready, please, Ensign."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I wanted to give you an update," Collins tells Pendleton, "although by now I'm sure you've heard. Thoth has three suspects in custody, one of them linked to the DNA sample. Detective Lunnd is on the ship now, interviewing our Ensign Kylah, the victim. I would like to request two things: One, that you try to match the dust from the smashed zither crystals to the clothes and shoes of the suspects. The material from which it was constructed is very rare, and should be easily identifiable; and two, as our Ensign Rangin had requested, once your people are done with analyzing and cataloging them, to please return the remaining pieces of the zither. It was very precious to Ensign Kylah. We're sure she'd like to have whatever is left of it back."
    Last edited by anyrose; 30 Jun 2015 at 01:55 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah does not understand the man's skepticism--none of her own motives should matter--but she is still unnerved even further. She drinks the water, her chattering teeth clinking against the cup, and sets it down before hugging her bag again.

"Thank you," she murmurs, then takes a steadying breath. "The next thing I remember is... one moment I was on the street, the next in this--this blackness. It was so dark. But soon I saw others around me. They were... I think they were three men. At least those are all I noticed. I--I did not know who they were, what they wanted, but I saw--" They seem, horrifyingly, decapitated. Until at last they coalesce out of the shadows and her eyes can trace the shapes of their ink-black heads. "I saw they were wearing masks. Black. Silk, perhaps, some kind of material, I do not... It was covering their faces, everything, even their mouths. They were only voids."

She shuts her eyes against the rising terror. "Two of them were carrying something. Sticks or clubs. The other--he seemed to be the leader--he was armed too." Her eyes open again, but the sickbay might as well have disappeared. All she can see is the weapon facing her. "A phaser or... a disruptor? I do not know. I do not know."

Swallowing, she shakes her head. "I am sorry. I... this is harder to remember. It is flashes. I think he demanded the briefcase. I must have refused, I do not know what I was thinking. Stupid. Stupid. I was surrounded, what did I think--" She breaks off and has to wipe her angry tears from her face. "The other two men came toward me and I dropped the briefcase. Then he said..."

Kylah stops to think. Her head hurts again, more than before, and she feels dizzy. Her own emotions are doing this. Or are they Graham's? She cannot tell. Anger and fear and disgust all whirl within her, nauseating her. "No, it was not he. One of the men with the clubs then wanted to know what was in my own bag. I--I could not let him have this.

"I know it was just as foolish but I could not. It was my zither, my jewelry. It was mine. But the leader ordered the man to take it from me. He--" Her eyes open wider. "He used a name. It was short. Del? Lez? Les?" She squeezes her fingers against her throbbing head. "I think it was Les. Something like that.

"After that I still fought. I think I took out my knife, I--" Flushing, Kylah stares through her blurry vision to the detective. "Elasian women carry knives. Here." She rests her hand against her thigh beneath the blankets. Only now does she realize that it feels bare and naked--of course, the medical team must have removed the leather hilt. Or she hopes it was the team. "I do not remember much now. Except they began to hit me. One of them struck my hand." She looks at her left wrist. "They crowded around me. Then--then--"

She shuts her eyes again, shaking her head. "I do not know," she whispers. "The next thing I remember is waking up into that same darkness. But alone. And everything hurt. Everything. I thought I was sweating, dripping all over me, but I... I think it was actually blood. When I could see I knew they were gone and... I saw my communicator, smashed to pieces. I had forgotten all about it. I should have called for help before, I did not even remember... I think because I had changed from my uniform, and so I put it--"

Her hand reaches to her chest, and she stares down. "How did they find it? If they found it, they must have... put their hands on me. While I was unconscious." She feels sick, and she cannot seem to get enough air. Breathing shallow and fast, she tries to continue, but almost nothing else is returning to her. "I--I do not know much else. I must have found my way out because I was suddenly in this--this big space. Outdoors. All gray and... hard. With buildings in the distance." Kylah looks at her bag. "This was with me. They had not taken it. But my knife was gone. My jewelry--my mother's jewelry--gone. My uniform..." She is at a loss, it seems unfathomable. "Why would they take that? And why would they do what they did to my zither?

"They destroyed it. It was worth thousands, more than the gold crowns they stole, but instead of stealing it they--they pulverized it. Why? I would rather that they have taken it, sold it, at least it would be whole and would not be--be desecrated. But no. They broke it and left both of us there like--like garbage. Trash."

Her tears spill out and she does not bother to stem them. "That is all I remember. Being in that empty space, wanting to get to the buildings, realizing everything that mattered was gone. And then I was here." She turns slightly in T'Var's direction. "With Dr. T'Var. And... I think... Lt. Collins. So I knew I was on the ship. I do not know how I got here." At last she makes a half-hearted attempt to wipe her eyes. "It is probably nothing that helps you, detective. I am sorry. I wish I could have been useful. Just once," she whispers, and the tears fall again.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pendleton says, "That shouldn't be a problem. I'll get in touch with the Thoth detective bureau and see about that testing."

"No, that is helpful, thank you," Lunnd says kindly to Kylah. He gives her a handkerchief for her tears. "That's a good start. Would you like to take a break? Are you up to some questions?" He looks at T'Var as if to say, Is she going to be able to get through this?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Accepting the handkerchief with a soft thank you, Kylah blots her tears carefully. "Yes," she says, folding and unfolding the material with methodical abstraction as she looks at the detective. "I mean--no, I do not need a break. I want to get this over with. I do not know if you have caught everyone yet, but if not, I would not want to waste time."

She catches his look toward T'Var and shakes her head worriedly--regretting the quick movement but hiding the resulting ache and dizziness. "I am fine. I promise. Please, sir, ask whatever you need to."
    Last edited by choie; 30 Jun 2015 at 08:59 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham had taken his position facing the door, rather than Kylah, as a matter of sensible Security protocol...but he's all the more grateful he's not looking directly at her as he listens to her recollection of events.

At several points his jaw clenches: to be sure, she's not disclosing the full breadth of what she told him, but she's not on trial.

His anger that Rangin left her alone is only mitigated by the fact that he's sure at this point any influence he might have over Kylah is something akin to a snake that needs to be crushed or an infection that needs to be eradicated.

Lunnd at least seems to be no bullshit and Graham is grateful--and profesionally respectful--of that.

But the hardest part is when Kylah describes trying to fight, Alone, surrounded.

Oh Jane, did you try to fight...alone, surrounded...

Graham fixes his eyes in a hundred-yard stare, hands clasped behind his back in parade rest, feeling as if an arc of electricity connects that time ten years ago with what Kylah went through a short time ago.

And where were you, Booker? You have to be there. You have to be there.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Terrific," Collins tells Pendleton, "Thank you so much. Collins out." She puts her communicator away and goes back into Kylah's room. She sees Graham standing sentry, but his face tells her his mind is lightyears away. "You okay, Book?" she asks, keeping her voice quiet so as not to disturb the interview.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Det. Lunnd clears his throat and says, "I do have some questions, then. You may have to repeat yourself at times." He asks the following, listening carefully and waiting for each answer before asking the next question:

"What sort of repair did your zither need?"
    "Why didn't you repair it yourself?"
    "Why not wait for repair by an Elasian specialist?"
    "What was the value of the zither?"
    "Why could you not pay for repairs with Federation credits?"
    "How much money did you want to get exchanged?"
    "Why not go to a bank or travelers aid office in Thoth to exchange currency?"
    "Why did you pick that particular bar?"
    "Who else did you speak to at the bar?"
    "Pardon me for asking, but are you and Ens. Rangin romantically involved?"
    "Do you think he is responsible in any way for what happened to you?"
    "Think carefully, please. What else can you recall about the people who attacked you?"
    "Did you injure any of them when you resisted?"
    "How many of them spoke, and what did they say?"
    "Were their accents revealing in any way?"
    "Would you recognize their voice or voices if you heard them again?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Jul 2015 at 10:36 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's startled by Collins' question, and as he snaps back to the moment for an instant his haunted expression looks as if to say no, I'm not, I'll never be.

But then he pushes that aside blinks and takes a gulp of air. "Yeah, fine," he whispers back, nodding slightly. "Thanks," he adds with a slight smile that probably looks obviously fake but is at least intended to be sincere.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"What sort of repair did your zither need?"

Kylah is, to put it mildly, shocked that the detectives first question puts her in the spotlight. She swallows and replies, "Its strings... there were four that were broken."

"Why didn't you repair it yourself?"

"My zither's strings are finely spun crystal, they are... were..." She chokes and looks at the bag, then hurriedly refocuses on the detective. "They are unique and I do not have the skill to fix such things. It takes a proper artisan to fix such an instrument. Clearly you have never seen an Elasian zither," she concludes, a trace of hauteur entering her tone despite herself.

"Why not wait for repair by an Elasian specialist?"

The tenor of his questions is unnerving her. Why is he focusing on this? "My people are not spread throughout the quadrant as humans have, Detective, and I have no idea when I will return to Elas. I use my zither for practice, it is my Guardian's wish that I keep up my studies. I did not want to wait months and months. This is the first planet on which we have had shore leave, so..." She shrugs helplessly. "I--I do not understand why it matters..."

"What was the value of the zither?"

This, at least, makes sense. Although the was still stings. "In federation credits? I cannot imagine it selling for less than 40,000. Most likely 50,000 for anyone who knows antiques, and higher for musicians or collectors."

"Why could you not pay for repairs with Federation credits?"

"I do not know. It is what I was told."

"How much money did you want to get exchanged?"

"6,000 credits." Kylah hesitates. "But the man's exchange fee would have been 1,500 on top of that, so... a total of 7,500 credits."

"Why not go to a bank or travelers aid office in Thoth to exchange currency?"

Her face is beginning to turn red, both in alarm and growing anger. "I do not... I did not think of that. I am not usually involved in financial matters, my Guardian has a royal advisor take care of such things." This much is the truth. Her mind searches for further explanation.

Of course: the bartender. He is likely involved, and his story will not be believed. She hurries on. "When I asked the bartender to assist me with finding someone who could perform repairs, he mentioned the need for cash and said he could help me with the exchange. It only seemed convenient to..." She falters. She knows she is making herself sound even more naïve and out of touch than she already is. But it cannot be helped.

"Why did you pick that particular bar?"

"I do not remember. We were walking and I wanted to find a local establishment, nothing for tourists. At the time I did not have the thought of seeking additional help for my zither, but the man seemed knowledgeable and..."

"Who else did you speak to at the bar?"

"There was... there was a group of locals. They were staring at us, Velir and me. Ensign Rangin," she corrects in growing frustration. "They did not seem to appreciate having members of Starfleet near them. But later I was in the restroom and saw one woman being violently ill. Afterward I stopped to ask if she was one of their party, because she sounded--" Kylah's face contorts slightly in disgust. "She sounded very bad. I thought it would be best to call for medical help but one of the women just told me she would take care of it."

"Pardon me for asking, but are you and Ens. Rangin romantically involved?"

The question stops her short. She stares at Graham, feeling betrayed. Why would this man ask such a thing? Her cheeks must be as red as Graham's uniform. "No. No, we are not. We were--it is true our friendship was moving in that direction, and I hoped--" Her throat is tight and she struggles to get the words out. "I hoped for more. I thought he did. But we have never really... And we argued, badly, and nothing will happen now," she finishes miserably. Then her indignation flares again, much more dully. "I--I do not understand why you would ask about my personal life. What possible relevance could it have?"

"Do you think he is responsible in any way for what happened to you?"

Again Kylah's instinct is to turn to Graham, but she quickly forces herself to keep staring at the detective. "No. He is not a violent man, not at all--even if he were, there would be no reason, it is impossible. He was not even on the planet. He would have had to... to plan all this. When could he have done so? No, he cannot be responsible." She hesitates and her gaze wanders downward. If he had not said those things, if he had stayed, I would not have kept the appointment. But that is not his responsibility. It was my fault. Without speaking further, she just shakes her head.

"Think carefully, please. What else can you recall about the people who attacked you?"

Her heart is pounding so hard from the other questions that Kylah is now surprised to hear the detective returning to the actual crime. She closes her eyes and thinks, trying simultaneously to calm down and to conjure up their images. Then her shoulders slump and she shakes her head again. "There is nothing. They were all just... men. With masks. I could not even tell you their clothes--"

Kylah cuts off and turns to the right, a spark of memory igniting within her damaged memories. "No. Wait. The leader... he wore an overcoat. And I think... it was unlike the others... it seemed to be over a suit."

"Did you injure any of them when you resisted?"

Kylah tries and tries but cannot remember. "I do not know. I might have. I tried to, as I said, with my knife. But I do not recall if I struck true before they clubbed me." She unconsciously lifts her left hand, which still feels weak. "If it had been my right hand, I would say almost certainly. But my left has been less agile since a slime devil attack earlier this month. During a mission," she adds, probably unnecessarily.

"How many of them spoke, and what did they say?"

"It was mostly the leader. Only one of the others said anything--at least, that I can recall. I am sorry, so much of what happened in that room is just a blur." She concentrates again. "The leader... I call him that but only because he seemed to do little himself... he just told the others what to do. He told me to give him the briefcase. No--no, he said to drop the briefcase. When I did not, he said... something about he would not ask twice, and then ordered the others to take it from me."

The more she thinks, the more some words turn solid, less fragmented, in her brain. "I remember... I thought at the time it was likely that he was the man who had exchanged my money. He would be the person who knew best what I was carrying in the briefcase. I think I accused him of this. I think..." She rubs her weary eyes, wishing she could push the memories back into her mind. "One of the others, the one who did not take the briefcase--he was the one to ask me what was in my bag. I think I told him to leave me be. And because I now believed the leader to be the money exchange person, I told him that he had my credits and my cash, that should be enough."

The words strike her as ridiculous. As if thieves have some honor system. "I cannot believe what a fool I was. Did I think they would stop? I was all alone, they were armed, there was nothing I could do if they wanted to take everything, to kill me, to--to do anything they wanted." Kylah's stomach twists and how much worse, even worse than a concussion, this could have ended. "Naturally the man knew exactly that. He even said--" Her mouth stays open for an instant longer as a little memory nudges its way forward. "He admitted it," she whispers in wonder. "I think he admitted it. He said that no, the cash and credits were not enough. Or something like that. Why would he say that if it were not the same man? Or connected to him," she admits, but is not convinced. "Of all of them, his voice was the only one that seemed a bit familiar. Except it was muffled. I cannot be sure. Anyway, that is when he told one of them--this Les or Lez person--to take the bag. And after that... I do not remember. I truly do not. I am sorry."

"Were their accents revealing in any way?"

She shakes her head. "The other man who spoke said so little... I am good with accents, it is part of my job, but there was nothing noticeable. And the leader--well, it was not his accent, but his words--if he was the man I had met earlier--he spoke in a fairly refined way when we were doing the exchange. It was the same in the--the room, the dark room where they brought me. He sounded like every businessman I have met. Not that I have met many..." Kylah flushes, thinking of Jan, and she moistens her dry lips. "I just mean, he did not sound rough. Except for what he was saying and ordering the others to do."

"Would you recognize their voice or voices if you heard them again?"

Kylah looks blankly at the detective. "I do not know. Possibly the ringleader. The other one, who said for me to give him the bag... I am not sure. It was so brief, and I was so scared... I do not know," she repeats, defeated.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah realizes that Det. Lunnd's questions were roughly chronological, even if some of them were upsetting. Now he nods, apparently satisfied. "Thank you, Ensign. Is there anything else you'd like to tell me? Anything else that might be useful for my investigation, or that any of my questions brought to mind?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Jul 2015 at 03:23 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

What his questions brought to mind? Frankly, after she briefly considers the chronological excuse for Lunnd's intrusive questions, Kylah is now even more upset that she finds herself apologizing for the detective's absurd questions. After all, she is not on trial. Chronological indeed! There is no reason the man needs to know anything about my zither other than its value. Is he a detective or a defense attorney?

She restrains herself and refocuses on his emotions. He seems to be convinced--or at least, he accepts her responses.

"I cannot think of anything. Then again... I do not know if this is important, but earlier I thought it possible that I was recognized, and targeted because of that. Recently I have been... in some news reports, and gossip... due to a murder investigation on our last mission. There were some things said about me, lies, but the reports might have mentioned my relationship to Elasian royalty."

Kylah purses her lips in thought, then shakes her head. "It is probably unconnected. I suppose the man who exchanged my money could have recognized my name when I was transferring the credits, or if I am wrong and these were just thieves who saw me with the briefcase, they could possibly have recognized me from my picture--I do not know if any ran with the reports. I hope not."

She sighs. "This was all just speculation. Searching for a reason for what seems... so unnecessarily violent. And for the kidnapping. Could they not have just grabbed the briefcase while I was walking alone in the twilight? I could have offered no resistance. They did not have to transport me, to isolate me like that."

She falls into a few haunted moments of silence. Part of her wants to express how very personal it seems. Spiteful. "What I truly do not understand is why they took my knife and uniform... they were not of value, except to me. And what they did to my zither. That felt especially cruel."

Her eyes brim again, and she uses the handkerchief before she embarrasses herself again. "But I suppose everyone feels that way after a crime. All they cared about was the cash and jewels. Hurting me was just what people do." Hearing her words, she hurriedly adds: "I mean--what the criminals did. I wish I could help more, Detective. Do you think... will I have to do a voice identification? Are any of the ones in custody... could they possibly be the criminals?"
    Last edited by choie; 01 Jul 2015 at 04:29 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins hears the last several questions, and Kylah's increasingly uneasy answers. "Detective? I think that may be enough for today." she tells the detective. "Ensign Kylah needs her rest. I promise to call you if she remembers anything else." As she speaks, Jeremi moves to stand between Kylah and Lunnd.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Det. Lunnd doesn't answer Kylah's last two questions, but looks at Collins in surprise. He frowns and says to the Security officer, a little sardonically, "Oh, are we done now? I had understood I would have your, and the witness's, full cooperation. She has not asked to end the interview."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Of course you have it" Collins states, "But she seems to be overly stressed, and that's counter-productive to her recovery and your interview." She moves closer to whisper to the detective "What if she were your sister, or daughter? Would you have her go through this?" Jeremi is hoping to appeal to Lunnd's compassionate side. She steps back again. "Couldn't we continue this later?"
    Last edited by anyrose; 02 Jul 2015 at 08:56 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's not sure why Kylah looks toward him when Rangin's name comes up. He tries to keep his expression neutral and his feelings calm--not necessarily easy when, subsequently, Ky;ah emphasizes that Rangin is not a violent person. After having seen Rangin in action in this same room earlier, he wonders how much of his putative aversion to physical violence is a smokescreen to cover his predilection for psychological abuse and manipulation.

Why he chose Kylah to be the focus of his attention seems all the more clear as she goes on: she's confused, vulnerable...although Graham's not sure how much of that is chicken versus egg. He's convinced their "fight" must have been something Rangin carefully orchestrated to make her that much more vulnerable... What a piece of sh...

He forces himself to stop thinking about that for the time being. Lunnd's questions are clearly upsetting Kylah...as he expects they would, given how concerned she is about her intention to go AWOL being discovered. He can't blame the guy--if it was someone I didn't know I'd ask questions about what seems to be pretty weird behavior...

But there's no crime in being confused and making poor choices - he reminds himself to tell that to her, and perhaps to talk to Lunnd afterward as well. We're talking about a very young officer coming off a difficult mission...

Collins' intervention comes at an opportune time.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks appreciatively toward Collins after the security officer comes to her defense, but is worried about increasing Lunnd's suspicions. "No, please," she says, lifting her weak hand toward Collins. "I am grateful, and yes, I am upset, but I do not wish to put this off. I will control myself better. It is a weakness of mine, I know, being irrational and overemotional. I will do better, I promise."

She feels as if she is begging a parent for forgiveness, but she is desperate to regain the detective's favor. "Please, sir, I will do my best to answer anything, if we can get this over with. What can I do? I will look at photos or--or even go to hear them speak--if it will help."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var steps closer to Kylah. "Would you like a mood stabilizer, Ensign?" she asks. "You are obviously upset and this would help if you truly wish to continue with the interview."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Turning slowly to T'Var, Kylah tries to measure the older woman's words. 'If you truly wish to continue with the interview.' Does she mean she will not let Kylah continue without the stabilizer?

Ever since their discussion prior to the OCIII mission--even before that, during the Sakathian battle--Kylah has been all too aware and afraid of the vulnerability she has revealed to T'Var. By confessing the truth about her empathic abilities to the doctor, not to mention how at risk she is of being affected by it, Kylah effectively ceded to T'Var the same sort of control over her that Aldaan has.

Not that the doctor would wield it in the same way: Kylah is sure that T'Var could not be so manipulative or opportunistic. But control is control, and Kylah despairs of having to fear the repercussions of yet another person knowing her secrets.

"Yes," Kylah says slowly, meeting T'Var's eyes as best she can. "If you think that is best, doctor. I wish to continue. Please help me do so."
    Last edited by choie; 02 Jul 2015 at 08:46 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var administers the medication. "I am certain you will be of more assistance to the detective when you remain calm," she says. "The more information you can provide, the sooner your assailants will be brought to justice."

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Thank you," Kylah murmurs, and touches T'Var's arm as if simply expressing her gratitude. But she directs her thoughts to the Vulcan telepathically.

I will control this, T'Var, I promise. I have tried, I truly have. I will try harder.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's not sure what to do when Kylah doesn't take the "out" offered by Collins--but he's saved from wondering whether he should intervene by T'Var.

And now I feel all the more shitty for disobeying her order earlier. Not that I didn't think I needed to--but why did it have to be her...

Not that T'Var probably pines away at night waiting for either my compliments or apologies, but he reminds himself to revisit both. Although maybe I should also ask for some "mood stabilizers" myself, he wonders...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lunnd looks evenly at Collins and says, "Then I'll proceed." He asks Kylah:

"Had you been to Anubis before? If so, did anything like this happen to you then?"
    "What else did you intend to do on shore leave other than get your zither repaired?"
    "Did you speak to anyone from any particular ship in the bar?"
    "Do remember the names of anyone you spoke to in the bar or elsewhere?"
    "Were you under Starfleet orders to do anything in particular while on the surface?"
    "Are you willing to undergo hypnosis or mind meld if the Thoth Constabulary determines it to be necessary in this case?"
    "Are you willing to return, in due course, to testify in any subsequent trial in this case?"
    "Is there anything else I haven't asked you, Ensign, but which you think it important for me to know?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah feels the mood stabilizer start to work, but it does not get past her sense that Collins has, somehow, made Lunnd more... hostile. Or impatient. Something has changed. A frisson of anxiety runs through her despite T'Var's medication.

"Had you been to Anubis before? If so, did anything like this happen to you then?"

Her eyes widen. "No. I have been to very few planets in my life, Detective. My own--Elas--and then Troyius, Earth and Anubis." She frowns, knowing she has missed one. Then she flushes. "And--and Omicron Ceti III. But no, I have never been on Anubis before."

"What else did you intend to do on shore leave other than get your zither repaired?"

Ice seems to run through her veins. He knows. He must know. Why... why does it matter? None of it matters. Why is he treating me like this? It takes all of Kylah's will not to turn to Graham for help, or to react in any physical way. She just swallows and says carefully, "I was with Velir to get something to eat, although we... I admit we just had some drinks in the pub. And I went shopping. Shore leave was very brief, there was not time for much else."

There. Strictly the truth. If she had escaped it would have been after her leave was through. "I am not sure what my intentions matter. Is it not what I actually did that matters? And I have already told you my movements. I wish I could be certain where I was transported from, but--but perhaps a transporter trace could be found?" She looks from Collins to Graham, at last able to face Graham with a hopeful expression. But Lunnd's questions continue.

"Did you speak to anyone from any particular ship in the bar?"

Kylah pauses and frowns. Did I? Yes, I did... "I believe I did. I am sorry, it is difficult... There was a woman and a... I do not know what race her companion was--insectoid? I have never seen this particular race before. And I do not remember the name of the ship. I do know I asked for directions to..." A burst of inspiration strikes her, and it allows her again to tell the truth. "To the Starport."

Her elaboration as she continues is, of course, false. "That was where the man--the one who exchanged my credits--told me to go. The musical instrument artisan would meet me there. Oh...I suppose..." She lets her shoulders fall again. Now flush at least fits her needs, and she can return to the truth. "I am so foolish. There was never an artisan at all, was there? It was all a ruse. A horrible ruse. I suppose it did not matter where they told me to go, I would still have been transported away."

"Do remember the names of anyone you spoke to in the bar or elsewhere?"

She shakes her head. "No. No, I am sorry. The--the woman who was ill, I do think her companion used her name, perhaps? But I do not know. The bartender might remember."

"Were you under Starfleet orders to do anything in particular while on the surface?"

Kylah scowls, genuinely confused. "Starfleet orders? I do not understand. Do you mean... did I have some kind of duty or task to perform? If so, then no. We were given shore leave. That was all."

"Are you willing to undergo hypnosis or mind meld if the Thoth Constabulary determines it to be necessary in this case?"

She cannot contain herself. "No," she blurts, and actually pulls herself backward away from Lunnd as if he is about to grab her forehead and perform the meld himself. "No. I will not, I do not wish to. Please--" Kylah turns to T'Var, unable to hide her desperation. "It would not be good for me, would it? The injury... I was concussed, surely...surely it would not be good for me?"

Uncertain if T'Var's logical mind will be of any help, Kylah takes a deep breath. The mood stabilizers seem to steady her somewhat, though it is hardly enough to calm her pounding heart. She looks next to Graham, then Collins. "I am afraid," she whispers. "I do not wish to. Such things are not done in my culture."

"Are you willing to return, in due course, to testify in any subsequent trial in this case?"

Kylah slowly returns to Lunnd. She nods. "I would rather not face them again but... yes. If I were not on a mission, of course, and too far away to make such a trial."

"Is there anything else I haven't asked you, Ensign, but which you think it important for me to know?"

Kylah bows her head in thought, staring at her hands as they clutch her bag. They are blurry again through her glazed eyes; exhaustion and fear and guilt are mingling to create a misery that the medication cannot defeat.

"If you truly want the answer to that," she says softly, "then I wish you to know that you have made me feel like a criminal. As if you think I somehow made up this crime. You have asked me more about my own actions before the attack than anything that happened during. Do you think I faked this? Or that I caused this? I suppose I did--cause it, that is. By being naïve and idiotic and trusting and ignorant and reckless.

"I should not have been alone. I should not have trusted strangers. I should not have upset Velir and made him leave me. Perhaps I should not even be a Starfleet officer, with such flaws." She raises her head, blinking and crushing his handkerchief in her fist. "I thought my punishment was severe enough. I did not realize that on Anubis, it is tradition to both create a wound and salt it."

Kylah turns away from Lunnd and, looking for tissues, finds some and wraps the handkerchief in them. "I am sorry, but I have tainted this, and will have to throw it out. Elasian tears are not to be handled by men. That is the only way I have any power, apparently. I wish I had cried on those men, especially the leader, perhaps then..."

With a little gasp, she suddenly lifts her face to the detective. "There it is. That is the question you have not asked. It is so obvious. The ringleader as much as admitted that he was the man who exchanged my money. And so I did see him, the only one of the attackers I saw without a mask--before the attack, when I was in the basement of the bar. Why did you not ask about him?

"I admit he was not terribly striking in any way," she says quietly. "But I do remember a little. He was a human, with dark hair. It was turning gray, but he was not old. Honestly, I could not guess his age. Perhaps similar to Mr. Graham's?"

Kylah hopes she is not insulting Graham. "Except the stranger was not particularly attractive. He was average, for a human. Taller than I..." She shrugs, knowing that is not helpful. "As I said before, he was businesslike. He carried datapads and a payment device, I do not know the details. This is clearly what he does, quite a lot. Perhaps he has performed such acts before, then, on other tourists."

She leans back. Her body seems to have lost all its strength at once, and she shakes her head wearily. "More than that, I cannot tell you. I hope I did not waste your time. And I hope... I hope you believe me. I did not do this to myself. I did not." Hugging her bag, she rests against the pillow and just stares at the dirty canvas.
    Last edited by choie; 03 Jul 2015 at 02:59 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins can feel her own emotions having their own roller coaster ride. Keep it together, girl. Why is this affecting you? Concentrate. This will be over soon.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Back in the science lab, Rangin relaxes away with a fresh coffee. He wonders if Collins was being frank and honest with her thanks for finding Ensign Kylah, but it really didn't matter any more. She was right on one thing though, if he hadn't been there, Kylah would still probably be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

On a whim, he reconstructs the sensor sweep he had done to find the zither and watches as the computer simulates the resonance of the crystals and he wonders just what it would sound like. Rangin will probably never find out.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Det. Lunnd says, not unkindly, "Thank you for your time, Ensign, and please forgive me for upsetting you. There's no need to be so hard on yourself. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. In any event, these are typical questions, under the circumstances. We rarely have Starfleet visitors get into trouble and I want to be thorough. You're, uh, welcome to keep the handkerchief." He stands and pockets his datapad. "I hope you feel better every day. Thanks again." He turns to Collins. "May I have a word with you outside, please, Lieutenant?"

Rangin can simulate the resonance of the crystals but not how they'd sound in a zither, given the number of variables involved. He knows that there are probably recordings of Elasian zithers in the Library Computer's musical-performance banks.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Of course," Collins replies to Lunnd. She turns to the others, "Excuse me a moment." She follow Lunnd out the door.

Registered
    Mar 2012

A muttered "thank you" is all Kylah can give to the detective as he and Collins leave. He had better not take her to task. He has no right. She was thinking of me... The fact that Collins spoke up for her and Graham did not is disconcerting, to say the least.

Of course, Graham is the only one who knows she was evading some of the questions. Is he judging her? For lying to one of "his kind"? The realization that the two people who each know tiny portions of the truth are both in the room--and neither seems particularly inclined to sympathy--fills her with despair. It seems the more anyone knows her, the less they like her. Just as with Velir.

She turns her head against the pillow, burying herself as deeply as possible, and squeezes her eyes shut. Her right hand crushing the handkerchief to her cheek. "I appreciate the medication, Dr. T'Var," she says hoarsely. "But I do not know how much it helped. All those strange questions, and the talk of a mind meld... they were too much."

Kylah hesitates, then lifts her face slightly toward Graham. She desperately wants to know what Graham told this man. If he revealed her plans to flee, if he shared his outrageous theory about Velir, would Graham admit it now? How can she ask him, without insulting him? Or without revealing too much in front of T'Var? Of course, she thinks in growing discomfort, her own responses to Lunnd revealed much about her personal feelings for Velir. Far more than she wanted Collins or T'Var to know. Or Graham, for that matter, but that ship has sailed.

"Mr. Graham, I thought suspects had been found. Have they already been released? Is that why Detective Lunnd seemed to treat me like a possible criminal? I felt he was goading me, as if he knew--" She swallows, remembering T'Var's presence. "As if he knew this was all some sham," she finishes quietly.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham has to hold back an audible sigh when Lunnd and Collins exit.

He's not sure why the interview was so traumatic--no, I know there are a lot of reasons why Kylah is or could be upset, he concedes.

But Lunnd was being a typical detective--a bit paranoid and prone to probing anything that seemed weird, but not at all being an asshole.

Still thank god this is over...although Kylah has a question for him before he can think of what to say..

He clears his throat and relaxes his parade rest position. "Look, ah..." he keeps his tone reassuring. "Don't worry, no one is blaming you," he replies to Kylah, looking briefly to T'Var for support. He shrugs slightly. "Detectives like Lunnd--they get paid to be paranoid. About everything."

He smiles slightly. "I've known many, in my...long, practically eternal years of experience."

He pauses, awkwardly, then shakes his head and adds with certainty. "Believe me, nobody thinks this was a sham. This was a crime, period. Remember, these guys probably did this before on his home turf, this kind of thing can be personal to us, uh, him. Police and Security."

He doesn't add: he might be worried you won't hold up on the stand, but figures Kyah does not need to hear that at the moment.
    Last edited by general_urko; 03 Jul 2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah closes her eyes again. "I know you feel a kinship with him," she says quietly. "You are on the side of the law, and I--I am just someone who continually causes you trouble. But I wish you would answer me, even if he could not." She stares at him again. "Are these suspects the likely criminals or not? Please, Mr. Graham. I know I could not remember everything, and there were... gaps... but I told him everything I could." The emphasis must get through to him. "Everything that mattered. Do you think it will help?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

In the Sickbay antechamber, Lunnd exhales heavily and says to Collins, "I'd like to talk to Mr. Rangin, now, if I may?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins nods. "Of course, I'll ask him to meet us in that same conference room." She pulls out her communicator. "Collins to Rangin, Detective Lunnd would like to speak with you. Can you meet us in Conference Room 5 in five minutes? Thank you. Collins out." She taps the communicator pad a few times. "Bridge, this is Lieutenant JG Collins. Detective Lunnd has spoken with Ensign Kylah and we're now heading to Conference Room Five to meet with Ensign Rangin. Collins out."

Closed thread