Closed thread
Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #4: "Codex Aelyrr"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Head injuries are complicated in nature, Kylah," T'Var begins. "These injuries can have a lasting impact on someone -- mentally and physically."

The doctor pauses a moment. She checks the monitors once again. "Whether what you are experiencing is temporary or perhaps permanent may not be known for some time."

T'Var gives Kylah a reassuring smile. "When you are released from Sickbay, we could try certain meditations. These may help us better understand what is happening with your telepathy."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah nods, although there is little to be reassured by the possibility of this discomfort lasting forever. "Thank you, I would appreciate the meditation. I know we were going to do that before, but the last mission... interrupted us." She goes on hurriedly. "How soon may I leave Sickbay? I feel stronger, except for the dizziness I mentioned." Her stomach twists with an impatient reminder of its emptiness. "Might I also please have something to eat? I have had nothing since breakfast," she says apologetically.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I will check with Dr. Villa as to when you may leave Sickbay," T'Var replies. "I have something here for you from Mr. Johnson. You are welcome to partake of it."

Registered
    Mar 2012

A few seconds of startled silence is Kylah's immediate response. "From Mr. Johnson," she repeats, looking blankly at T'Var. She feels a little swell of affection and warmth for the ship's cook, and it is so sudden that she cannot be certain whether it is her own or T'Var's. But she dismisses the latter as unlikely; why would the Vulcan have such a reaction?

When T'Var hands over the dish, Kylah balances it carefully on her lap before taking a closer examination. Tissue-thin layers of pastry cover small squares of solid white confection, all of which is glazed by a caramel-colored, sticky coating. Kylah inhales and the sweetness is instantly familiar. She is immediately taken back to her childhood, when her nurse would only be able to coax her out from her hiding places with this special treat.

"Bellaque," Kylah whispers in wonder. "It is... It is an Elasian dessert. How did he..." Her eyes widen and now there is no doubt that the flush painting her cheeks in warmth is definitely her own. Of course. During their first meeting, she told Johnson it was her favorite dish. Before he became even more objectionable--admittedly, a response to her own stiff, unfriendly demeanor.

"Oh... this was very kind of him," she says, touched. "To create something from my home... It could not have been easy, there would be no way for him to know what it is supposed to taste like." Daintily she pulls a brick of the confection apart, although there is no way to avoid getting one's fingers coated with the syrup--relishing the remaining sweetness by licking it from your hands is part of enjoying the dish.

From the first bite of the familiar crunchy, chewy, melting-on-her-tongue candy, Kylah closes her eyes, transformed to a child again. The dish is the very definition of comfort food. "It is ambrosia," she says after swallowing, and making no apologies for sucking the glaze that sticks to her fingers. "Dr. T'Var, please have some, if you wish. I could eat it all by myself, but I must not. Besides, I would like to save some for Vel--"

The smile disappears from her face. No. Of course not. He would not join her in this taste of Elasian fare, although she would dearly love to share it with him. Even if Velir were somehow inclined to partake, he would likely refuse once he knew Mr. Johnson provided it, considering his reaction to seeing the cook outside her room last night.

Saddened, Kylah takes another piece of the candy and looks down at it. "I would like to thank Mr. Johnson," she murmurs absently. "If it is not too much trouble, could you send him a message for me? I do not have a communicator anymore. It was broken." "I do fear that just like her zither, she's broken." Velir's metal-hard voice echoes in her ears and she tries not to cry. "Please--please tell him it is perfect. He is thoughtful and has made me very happy. Will you tell him that, please?"
    Last edited by choie; 14 Jun 2015 at 01:37 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vargas says, "I was just informed by Ens. Graham that there was an incident between you two in Sickbay. Please come to my office immediately to discuss it."

"Immediately, yes, sir. On my way," Rangin replies as calmly as he can. Flicking the terminal off, he stands up and closes his eyes for a moment to gain some inner strength. Opening them, he feels more in control and purposefully heads through the door of his quarters. The sooner the business about Graham is cleared up, the sooner he can work on the prototype sensor module. He heads directly to Cmdr. Vargas's office, not wasting any time. Once outside, he presses the door button to let Vargas know he is there.

"Come in," the First Officer says. Rangin does, and Vargas says, "Please sit down." He plays back Graham's report for Rangin and then says carefully, as if following a script, "This meeting is being recorded. Ens. Graham has reported his use of force against you, as he required to do under Starfleet regs. I must advise you that it may form the basis for disciplinary action. Do you have any response you would now like to make? You don't have to, and it would not be held against you in any subsequent proceedings."

Rangin listens to Graham's brief report in shock and horror. Graham had assaulted him because he believed Rangin was a threat to Kylah? His jaw drops slightly while his mouth tries to form words, but nothing escapes. His eyes widen as he hears Graham's justifications and he slowly turns his head from the speaker to look directly at Cmdr. Vargas.

"I don't know what to say," Rangin quietly responds. "Mr. Graham had made it clear that he considered me... negligent, even responsible, for not being with Kylah when she was attacked. I did not know I was considered an actual suspect in the attack. I was also not aware that I was under investigation for more than one crime." Rangin's face darkens at the comment about "...in this case." "Perhaps I should be speaking to Lt. Cmdr. Roble instead? Sir."

"Of course, if you wish. He is your department chief, after all, and that would not be inappropriate." The First Officer pauses. "I must say, Mr. Graham's suspicions are his own, and not mine. A diligent Security officer will gather information through any lawful means, but that's not to say that you are 'under investigation,' as such. Indeed, until Mr. Graham's call to me, I had no reason to suspect you of any wrongdoing, Ensign, and I'm still not convinced, as yet, that there's any reason why I should."

Rangin pauses, wondering what he should say next. If Cmdr. Vargas digs deeply then he will ultimately find out about Kylah, her lies and whatever reason she decided to tell them. On the other hand, Graham had been nothing but trouble the entire day and had been actively stopping him trying to gather evidence.

No, no, he can't. Rangin refuses to sink to that level; he's not going to be as bad as Graham just because he could be. He holds so little left dear to him, after the last few minutes, that it would be easy to just give in to his base impulses and try to make Graham look as bad as possible. He chooses his words carefully: "All I know, as I told Mr. Graham, is that when I returned from shore leave, leaving Ens. Kylah behind, she was unharmed. I don't know what happened after that, but I know that I found her, found the site where she was assaulted and successfully obtained a DNA scan of one of her attackers. My only concern at this time is the hope that information can help find and bring them all to justice. I cannot say what Mr. Graham is thinking or why, as my interactions with him today have been all too brief. I don't know where he got the idea, but I'm sure he had good reason for why he acted the way he did."

Rangin almost bites his tongue, thinking, Graham's reason is likely to just be his hatred of me, but he will not stoop to Graham's level. He will stick to just what he knows.

Vargas nods. "Understood, and thank you. If there's nothing else...?"

"No sir, nothing else."

"Very well. Thank you for your time. Dismissed."

Rangin rises from the chair, accepts the dismissal and leaves for the Science labs. No longer to just work on the sensor, but to inform Lt. Cmdr. Roble of just what has occurred.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Jun 2015 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Rangin's dialogue by CIAS; Vargas's by EH.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Det. Lunnd nods. "That would be fine, thanks. No other questions? All right, keep an open channel, everyone. Phasers on stun. Let's go."

He leads his officers and the Starfleet contingent through a side door of the garage and out into the street. There is little traffic and few people; those you see get out of the way hurriedly at the sight of the armed and armored officers out in front. A cold drizzle is falling. The apartment building is just a block away. It is about 30 stories tall, blocky, unattractive, and could do with a good cleaning. Lunnd points out the two doors for the Yorktown officers to cover, and leads his officers inside.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins nods to the other Yorktown Security officers, and runs to a spot with good cover and a good view of the front of the apartment building. Her adrenaline is pumping full force as she draws her weapon, sets it to heavy stun, and readies herself to fire at a nanosecond's notice.
    Last edited by anyrose; 15 Jun 2015 at 05:35 PM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham takes position and checks the charge and setting on his phaser.

After the events earlier in the day, backup duty for a tactical team is almost an odd let-down, a time for reflection...

An image of Bennett reading in the Arboretum comes to mind. One into which Graham lumbers, in full body armor... He shakes his head slightly. That's pretty much an accurate picture of me intruding into her world, he thinks. It's almost as absurd as...

He sees a heavily gloved, mechanically-assisted armored hand holding a tiny snow globe and giving it a dainty shake. Ah, the freaking snow globe... He sighs. Well, Nia seemed like she has a good sense of humor, at least.

He forces his attention back to the mission at hand. Eyes sharp, Booker, a real bad actor inside. he thinks. Wouldn't that be priceless: "Merry Christmas, Mr. Rangin, Graham got wasted by some local goon."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin heads slowly across the Science labs, his mind still ticking over from his meeting with Cmdr. Vargas, wondering what charges will be laid against him. It wasn't as if Security didn't look after their own. No, they would make sure that another scapegoat is around. Lt. now Ens. Delaney was a good example of their practice.

He had been the last to see Kylah, that would be enough for some of them. Disciplinary action for following orders, where as Graham spent his life ignoring them if he felt like it, with no comeback. A real travesty of justice.

As he makes it, Rangin looks around for Lt. Cmdr. Roble hoping he is around somewhere.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var does take a small taste of the pastry. "Yes, this is quite delicious," she says. The Vulcan licks her fingers as Kylah did. "Quite delicious."

The doctor considers having another piece, but decides against it. "Why don't you thank Mr. Johnson yourself, Kylah. I am certain he would appreciate speaking with you directly."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins, Graham and the others take up their positions as a drizzling rain falls from the dark sky. Collins realizes that she doesn't know what their suspect looks like.

Rangin finds Roble in the Yorktown's Botany lab, talking to Lt. JG Faith Ngaka, a diminutive botanist - from Botswana, as he recalls. The Science Officer smiles. "Ah, Mr. Rangin. You've been briefed on the sensor module prototype, I understand. Have you reviewed the documentation yet?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 16 Jun 2015 at 02:02 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

To Kylah's dismay, when T'Var makes her suggestion of contacting Mr. Johnson, the first thing she thinks is: Velir would not like it. After the way he reacted to seeing Johnson yesterday...

But she catches herself. Velir's reactions have become more and more unpredictable. Even unreasonable. Most important, considering how emphatically clear he has made it that Kylah is not worthy of him--not worthy of anyone--Velir Rangin's approval is no longer something Kylah can attain.

Besides, she thinks, her jaw tightening with attempted bravado. I am an Elasian woman. No one other than my Guardian or the Council may tell me whom I may see.

"You are right, that is only proper. I suppose he will be busy until after dinner..." The thought of food inspires Kylah to take another piece of the bellaque. "Thank you, Dr. T'Var. I... I fear I have great need of your help, Dr. T'Var. Since joining the ship I have experienced a great deal. I am afraid to have it weighing on me for much longer."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I am more than willing to help you in any way that I can, Kylah," T'Var says. "As a physician and as a friend."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins takes out her communicator "Collins to Lunnd. What does the suspect look like?" She feels foolish asking something she should have asked at the start of the op, but better to seem like a ditz than to stun the wrong person.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. T'Var leaves Kylah, and some time passes.

The young officer awakens as the door to her Sickbay recovery room whisks open. Capt. Singh enters and sits down next to her. She says, "Hello, Mr. Kylah. I'm sorry it's taken me this long to come by, but there were some other matters to which I had to attend. How are you feeling?"

Startled by the Captain's presence, Kylah puts all her effort into sitting up, not quite making it the first time. "Captain, excuse me," she says, finally succeeding to sit in a more dignified position by pulling at her pillow behind her. "I was not expecting you, I know you are very busy. In truth I do not even know how long it has been, I have been sleeping so much." She hesitates before she answers Singh's question, but decides on the simplest answer. "I am feeling better, thank you very much. It is thoughtful of you to visit me."

"Not at all. I'm sorry that a brief shore leave went so badly awry for you. I know that Cmdr. Vargas and others will want to talk to you in more detail about what happened, when you're feeling up to it."

"Of course, I understand." Kylah feels a squeeze of dread in her heart. "I... do not remember much that will be useful. They wore masks, I cannot answer anything about who they were. Besides, it was nothing more than a standard street crime. I did not lose much...." The words are strangled in her throat as she thinks of her mother's jewelry, and of course the zither. "And I will recover. It was my fault for being in a bad neighborhood, really." She clasps her hands tightly together beneath the blanket. "Please, Captain, if there is somewhere else the ship must go... do not delay it on my account."

Singh frowns. "Don't blame yourself, please - there's no call for that. We do have a new mission, but it's not especially time-sensitive. It's more important for now that we help local police and bring those responsible to justice, if possible. Are you comfortable here? May I do anything for you?"

'Bring those responsible to justice.' Kylah's guilt gnaws at her. She herself is responsible. "No, there is nothing, I am comfortable enough, thank you," she says weakly. "But... I hope I will be allowed back on duty soon, since I am so much better. Or at least to return to my quarters. And our Security officers... they must not be put in danger because of me. I am sure the local police will find them. I do not want to cause such trouble or waste resources when it is partially my fault."

"You've caused no trouble, and we're wasting no resources. Criminals should know they cannot prey on Starfleet personnel with impunity. Until I'm satisfied there's nothing more we can do to help the Thoth authorities, here we stay."

"Yes, of course," Kylah says meekly. "Thank you." She does not dare bring up the subject again, afraid that the older woman will begin to question why Kylah is so adamantly against solving the crime. "If... if there is anything I can do to help, I will," she offers, hoping she sounds sincere. Her eyes dart to the plate by her bedside and, on impulse, she lifts it toward Singh. "Captain, would you--would you like to try this? It is an Elasian confection called bellaque. Mr. Johnson knew I liked it and was extraordinarily generous enough to research the recipe. It is very rich and sweet. From my time back at the Academy, I noticed some similarity to Terran desserts such as Turkish Delight or Halva." But bellaque is far better, she thinks but does not add.

"Mmm, thank you," the Captain says. "I haven't had it before." She takes a piece and pops it into her mouth, chews a bit and smiles. "Very good. Thank you."

They talk for a few minutes about Elasian sweets and other inconsequential things, until finally, after her third piece of bellaque, the Captain says, "Well, I didn't come here to eat all your candy. Do you need anything else, Ensign?"

"You have done so much, ma'am. I do not..." Kylah hesitates, then glances down at her bag on the floor. "If it is not too much trouble, ma'am, there is one thing. I am afraid the--the thieves destroyed my communicator. I suppose so I could not call for help, or be beamed out... I do not understand why, I believe I was already unconscious when they did it. Unless they planned to return..." The thought makes her shudder and she pulls the blanket closer. "At any rate, might it be possible to have another one sent to me, please? If I am to stay here overnight, I would feel less... isolated... if I had a way to contact someone." She blinks away the glassiness from her eyes. She would have said a friend, but she has none left on the ship. Just colleagues.

"Of course, I'll have one brought to you. You can also use the comm function on the Library Computer reader here." Kylah had not noticed the small display unit on its boom before. The Captain rises and pulls it within arm's reach.

"Thank you, ma'am."

"Certainly," the older woman says, and pats her hand. "Take care, Ensign, and get well. We need you back on duty as soon as the doctors say you can, and as soon as you feel up to it."

After murmuring her gratitude, Kylah watches the door whoosh shut behind the Captain, and then turns her focus back down to the blanket. The very brief burning sensation after Singh touched her as well as the tightness behind her eyes have decreased now that Kylah is alone again, no longer affected by the Captain's mild but still present emotions. She begins twisting and untwisting the thin cover's material in her hands, unable to stop ruminating on her lies and the danger in which she has placed others, all because of her own cowardice. Her eyes close and she prays this will all be over soon.

A typical Sickbay bedside reader: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...space_seed.jpg
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 16 Jun 2015 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Usual dialogue credits.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Det. Lunnd says, "Sorry. Should've offered you that before." He transfers to each of the four Starfleet Security officers' communicators a criminal record file for Lez Trovon, including identifiers and vital stats. In appearance he is a white Human male, brown-eyed, short and well-built, clean-shaven with greasy black hair. He has an old scar on his left forearm. "Stand by. We're about to make entry into his apartment."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Hardly started sir, there's plenty of it to go through and it should keep me occupied for quite a while." Rangin's voice remains calm and even despite his thoughts churning and wondering what Cmdr. Vargas is going to charge him with.

"Sir, when you have a moment, would it be possible to have a word in private?" Rangin knows he is going to have to tell Lt. Cmdr. Roble about the incident in SickBay, especially as Ens. Graham has already started mobilising Security on his behalf.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Got it. Thank you. Collins out." Jeremi puts away her communicator and resumes her alert stance.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Roble raises an eyebrow. "Of course." He says to Ngaka, "Let me see your preliminary report on this by 1000 tomorrow, please."

"Yes, sir," she says, turning back to her worktable.

The Science Officer leads Rangin to an empty conference room and sits down. "What's on your mind, Ensign?"

Collins and Rawlings see three women come out of the apartment building's front entrance. The civilians are a little startled to see the two Starfleet officers there in the rain, phasers in hand, and quickly walk off into the night.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Jun 2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Correction as to who's with Collins.

Registered
    Mar 2012

After several long moments of thought and gathering her courage, Kylah uses the hospital's library reader, pulling its swing arm even closer to her than the captain did. She stares at the screen before tapping it to bring it to life.

"Ensign Kylah sending a message to Ship's Cook Johnson," she says haltingly. She does not wish to hail him to speak to him live; given the time of day, she assumes he must be on duty. "Mr. Johnson, I... I just wanted to thank you, so very much, for the bellaque you sent me. It was delicious and a complete surprise. I wish I could thank you in person, face to face, but I know you must be busy and I am currently in sickbay due to--oh. Of course, you know that," she murmurs, flushing at expressing such a needless reminder. She quickly finishes the message with more awkward gratitude, then signs off.

She stares at the blank screen some more, wishing she had the courage to send another message to a very different recipient. But for the life of her she cannot fathom what she can say. At last Kylah angrily pushes the monitor's swing arm away from her and, grabbing the plate on the table beside her, uses the sweet food to provide the ephemeral comfort she cannot find elsewhere.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looking down at the floor, and shuffling his feet slightly, Rangin takes a deep breath before raising his head to look at the Chief Scientist.

"In brief sir, there was an altercation between myself and Ens. Graham in Sickbay. I was visiting Ens. Kylah to find out how she was, when he grabbed me from behind in a chokehold. He was promptly ordered by both Dr. T'Var and Lt. JG. Collins to release me. Apparently he considered me a threat to Ens. Kylah, and a possible cause of her injuries at that time, though I don't know the reasons why. Ens. Graham informed Cmdr. Vargas of what occurred and I have spoken to him separately over this matter."

Rangin worries begin to show on his face, "Sir, I thought it best to talk to you as it appears there may be cause for charges over this."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Roble is plainly surprised. "Charges against him, or you? Thank you for telling me, Ensign. I'll talk to Mr. Vargas about this."

Graham and Jones see two men run out the door. The doorway is poorly lit and they can't tell, in the dark and the rain, if either is the suspect.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I don't know sir," Rangin confides, "but from Mr Graham's report, he seems to think that he has some other kind of case against me at the same time. I know that coming from Coridan means that some people automatically distrust anything I say or do, but I am at a loss as to what he could be referring to. Thank you for listening sir, I'll get back to work on the new sensor prototype."

Rangin waits to be dismissed and then heads back to his area to look over all the details on the sensor and how it effects other bio-sensors.

Registered
    May 2013

"Starfleet Security!" Graham yells as loudly and commandingly at the two men as he was trained to do. "Stop and show us your hands!"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Roble nods. "All right, thank you. Keep your chin up. We'll get through this. Carry on, Mr. Rangin."

Rangin accesses the Starfleet research reports on the sensor prototype. They are voluminous; he has a lot of reading ahead of him.

The captain of the Scamp and the communications officer of the Wistful Penelope report back to Lt. Onn within minutes of each other. No one on the Scamp acknowledges having seen Kylah below; two engineers from the Wistful Penelope think they may have seen her in civvies in a rec center in the city of Osiris, more than 200 km east of Thoth, during the time in question.

The two men hesitate only for a moment at Graham's order before making a run for it in different directions.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 18 Jun 2015 at 01:23 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham points toward the one nearest Jones and then begins moving to follow the other one, at the same time pulling out his communicator with his free hand. "Det. Lunnd, status?" he asks quickly on a channel open to the group.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lunnd doesn't answer immediately.

Graham finds it difficult to run fast and also use his communicator. Both men are running very fast, although Jones begins to catch up to his.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin gets himself a large coffee and settles in for several hours skim reading to get up to speed before he spends tomorrow with Ens. Zweller going over the finer points of the sensor array.

Registered
    May 2013

Where's St. Croix when I need her? Graham thinks, remembering how quickly she moved on OCIII. Also, freckles...

At least we're not swimming...

Graham says quickly into his communicator "Graham and Jones in pursuit" and then focuses on speed rather than the communicator.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin gets started. It looks like the Starfleet researchers on Gagarin VII were very thorough.

Graham begins gaining on the man he's chasing. Jones's runs off into the night, with Jones close behind. Graham soon loses sight of them.

Collins and Rawlings see a man emerge from the rainy night, approaching the apartment building's front door.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If he matches the perpetrator's description:

"Halt! Federation Security!" Collins shouts aiming her phaser at the stranger.

If the stranger does not match the description:

"Just a minute," Collins calls to the stranger, running towards him, "You shouldn't go in just now. Come back over here." She will try to grab his arm and pull him out of the line of fire.
    Last edited by anyrose; 19 Jun 2015 at 02:18 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var checks in with Dr. Villa.

"When do you think Kylah will be able to leave Sickbay?" she asks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Through the dark and the rain Collins sees the man is bearded, unlike the picture she has of Lez Trovon, but is roughly his height, build and hair color. He stops when she calls to him.

Dr. Villa says, "She's making a good recovery. There's no reason we couldn't discharge her tomorrow, if you agree."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I am certain this will be welcome news to Ensign Kylah," T'Var says. "However, I believe we should order limited duty for a brief period of time. I do not want her to have a relapse."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I agree," Dr. Villa replies. "And I'm going to keep a biomonitor on her for at least a few days."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins starts moving towards the bearded man. "Come away from there, please." As she moves, she still keeps one eye on the front door of the building, and she is ready to shoot her phaser if need be.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"What's going on?" the man asks. He sounds suspicious. "What do you want?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"There's an ongoing investigation," Collins decides it's probably a good idea not to divulge too much information, "It's best we stay clear." She studies the man's body language and is fully prepared to stun him if he tries to run.
    Last edited by anyrose; 21 Jun 2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Punctuation-it's what's for dinner.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Coffee. Check.
    Mounds of paperwork. Check
    Long night ahead. Double check.

Rangin makes sure he has everything before turning some music on, picking the first of the journals and shutting out the world. The last thing he does is set an alarm for midnight, just in case he does overread.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I need to go in there," the man says, unimpressed. "I won't get in the way of any investigation." He resumes walking towards the door. Collins still can't be sure, by appearance, if it's Trovon.

As he plows through the voluminous reports, Rangin sees that the testing of Dr. Brold's prototype on Gagarin VII revealed a recurring and inexplicable spillover effect from its radio astronomy scanning functions on the biosensors of nearby sensor modules. There are pages upon pages of numbers as well as text. The lab simulations were not only for typical Constitution-class starships like the Yorktown, but other, smaller Starfleet vessels as well, including science and research ships. He learns that the interference generated by the prototype ranged from mild static and fuzzing to near-complete blanking of biosensor functions, at ranges from 100 km to six AUs. There was always at least some impact, but when the prototype was turned off, the interference ceased. Rangin knows his way around a starship biosensor quite well, and finds it puzzling.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Jun 2015 at 10:12 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins runs to intercept the stranger. "May I have your name please?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia, tapping her chair's arms, thinks impatiently that it's been ages since she's had any kind of situation report from the planet, much less any info on whether the security team has reacted to whatever that Lunnd guy had to say. Of course as far as she's concerned, all the officers are still on the ship. She swivels to Thalen and asks him to open a channel to Lunnd to ask him if the Yorktown can assist him in any way. Then she flips the switch on her own chair-based communicator.

"Lt. Onn to Collins and Graham. Situation please? Did Lunnd tell you anything, does he need any bodies down on the planet?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The stranger says "Bob Bobbins" and tries to step past Collins.

Det. Lunnd does not respond to Thalen's hail.

Collins's and Graham's communicators both beep.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia feels a tightening of the knot in her stomach. She's not a huge believer of instinct--she doesn't believe much you can't see, hear, smell, feel or taste--but she's not stupid. Either Lunnd's busy or... Yeah. Not gonna work on the assumption that everything's copacetic.

"Thalen," she says, turning back to the Communications officer. "Get in touch with the Thoth Major Crimes Unit and let them know their man's gone silent on us. Lunnd may be down and in need of backup."

Still waiting for her own fellow officers to return her hail, she flips the switch again. "Onn to Vargas. Commander, can I get in the loop on what role we're currently playing in the Kylah investigation? The lead officer down on Thoth--who was about to advance on a suspect--has gone dark on us after I asked for an update, and I'm getting bad vibes. I've sent word to the Thoth Constabulary to let them know their guy might need backup, but for all I know you've got twenty officers with him. Do we have any boots on the ground?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 22 Jun 2015 at 03:50 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Rawlings! Get over here!" Collins calls to her crewmate. She still stands in "Bob"'s way. When Rawlings is close enough, she tells him to call the ship with a sit-rep. "Tell them I am occupied at the moment."

"Mr. Bobbins," he could've picked a better fake name. "You are not to enter at this time. Tell me sir, where were you this afternoon, up until a half an hour ago?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Jun 2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Name correction at anyrose's request.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's either slightly alarmed or slightly annoyed Lunnd has not responded--on the one hand, somebody could have forgotten to switch his communicator on. On the other, they could all be dead...

But he's definitely annoyed at having to chase after some dude who for all he knows is some random shit head afraid he's just gotten busted for shoplifting last week and not their target.

Fuck this. This jerkoff may have running shoes but I've got a goddamned starship...

Graham realizes jockeying with his communicator may slow him down, but accepts the trade off--and tries to mitigate with the resources they have rather than pulling a hamstring. He's not really sure who was hailing him but simply responds forcefully.

"Graham. In pursuit. Three Teams of two beam down 100 yards ahead of my position given direction of movement, vector 30 degrees each, ditto for Jones."
    Last edited by general_urko; 22 Jun 2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thalen says, "Thoth police say Det. Lunnd's doing a forced entry of a suspect's apartment. Other officers confirm he's all right but currently too busy to respond."

Vargas passes Onn along to Ens. Mary Three Crows, the duty Security officer, who fully briefs Onn as to Collins's landing party's mission on the surface. Three Crows says, "Last we heard, they were staking out an apartment building outside and local police were going in after the suspect."

"Get out of my way," the man tells Collins angrily. "I don't have to answer your questions. This isn't your damn city." He tries to walk around her and the hulking Rawlings, who takes out his communicator.

The Yorktown's Transporter Room responds to Graham, "Uh... acknowledged, sir. Stand by." He keeps running after the man for what seems forever. He is getting just a little winded when he hears the telltale hum of transporter beams ahead of him, through the rain and gloom. "Halt!" someone calls ahead. The man slows and Graham makes up lost ground.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Jun 2015 at 08:04 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia thanks Thalen and Three Crows, respectively, and sits back to grind her teeth. She is relieved about Lunnd, of course, but dismayed to learn that there are four Yorktown officers in pursuit of criminals--or staking them out--and she's been blithely unaware of it. A little tug of concern gnaws at her when she hears the strain in Graham's voice, but she's glad he's asked for backup and isn't out there alone.

Not for the first time, she wishes there were some way to display and track the positions of all the ship's crew, like a map with toy soldiers. It's damn frustrating to know her crewmates are running around on the planet in possible danger, while she sits up here utterly ignorant, doing nothing but keeping the Captain's chair warm.

Well, at least she can act on her--or rather, Thalen's--idea. Might not be official yet, but she can ask for compliance. She flips the switch for what feels like the umpteenth time.

"Lt. Onn to all transporter personnel. As you probably know, we've got an investigation into an assault of one of our officers down on the planet. And that means several crew members have been beamed on and off the ship over the past couple of hours."

She swivels and gives Thalen a sideways smile of appreciation as she continues. "While I'm BCDO, I like to know where our people are, especially in a hazardous situation." Call me crazy, I like at least the illusion of control. "So, until otherwise notified, please update me whenever you transport anyone on or off the planet? To clarify," she adds hastily, "I'm not saying my permission is needed beforehand. Not at all. I'd just like to be informed after-the-fact. Agreed, officers?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 22 Jun 2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added line about Graham.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"It may not be my city," Collins matches Bobbins' vocal tone, "But as Starfleet Security on a Federation member world, I can detain you until the local authorities arrive. So consider yourself detained." She points her phaser at him, making sure to have a firm grip on it so it cannot be knocked from her hand.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Jun 2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Corrected reference to Anubis's status.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Officers in the four primary Transporter Rooms acknowledge Onn's order, and will comply. Three Crows earlier made clear that only four Yorktown personnel are currently offship.

Bobbins stops, and his eyes widen. He raises his hands and stands there.

Closed thread