Closed thread
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #4: "Codex Aelyrr"

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham clears his throat again. "Uh..." Graham weighs the fact that bailing out on Collins if indeed she's stood up is probably not the best way to help her overcome her addiction. "Uh, yeah, sure, I need to eat too." He stands and cocks his head toward the replicator. "Say, speaking of OC3...when you and Ens. Kylah were talking...she didn't mention anything, ah...anything that might have upset her...that she may not have put in her AMR, did she?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Villa says, with a glance at her colleague, "Dr. T'Var has had a full battery of psi tests since returning from OC3, but not a mind meld. We found nothing out of the ordinary... no sign of any residual effects from Mr. Palver's, uh, intrusion on her mind. As I said, Ensign, a mind meld with you might not be necessary. But if it is, and you'd rather not have Dr. T'Var be the one to conduct it, I'm sure we could find a trustworthy Vulcan on Anubis to do so. Anyway, why don't we just cross that bridge when we come to it?"

Graham notices Singh and Cheverez get drinks and food, and sit at a table for two. They greet several crewmembers in passing.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins stands and heads, with Graham, towards the replicator. While they walk, she says "No, I mean I could see she was agitated about something, but no, she didn't say anything specific. And after that first evening, well, we had a bit of a heated disagreement in the shops, she and I barely spoke."
    From the replicator, Collins chooses a Cobb Salad with warm bacon dressing, some fruit salad, and a coffee. Tray in hand, she faces Graham, "Why? Did something happen to her?"
    Last edited by anyrose; 10 Apr 2015 at 01:23 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Why yes, Graham thinks, For one, I assualted her, and I suspect something happened at that hotel, which is why I should have disobeyed your damned orders...

Graham immediately rules out replying with what first pops into his head, and has to think--perhaps a bit too long--about what to say.

"Uhhhh....um, no, I, ah, well I just haven't been great at communicating with her either, is all." He shrugs and turns intently toward the replicator. "I'm sure it's nothing," he says toward the machine.

Graham orders steak and potatoes.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I understand your concern, Mr. Rangin," T'Var says. "However, I am an expert in the melding of minds. Of course, a mind meld may not be necessary -- or even possible."

T'Var checks the datapad. "And, if at any time during these tests, you feel uncomfortable in any way, we do not have to continue." The doctor gives Rangin a reassuring smile.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin cranes his necks upwards to look at the two doctors from the bed, mentally tut-tutting at Dr. Villa's poor choice of words. "Dr Villa, Dr T'Var has more than earned my trust and if there was to be a mind-meld, I would prefer her above all others whether we find it necessary now or not. But it is good to hear that nothing untoward has been found."

Rangin leans back again facing the ceiling. "Dr. T'Var, I'm sure I will be comfortable in your more than capable hands, shall we begin?"

As he is fairly certain the two Doctor's have done to him in the name of patient stress, so Rangin has done onto them. He thinks across to a bed not far from here, with Lt Fujishiro lying in it and Dr T'Var refusing to act until she could get to a Sick Bay. Capable hands, just so long as it wasn't anything unusual, perhaps like a psychic Rhaandarite. Despite the outward serene smile on Rangin's face, inside Rangin a little voice of nervousness begins to wonder what will happen next and what they will find. Dr Villa, seemed to think she is going to find something and that possibility worries Rangin all the more.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As Collins and Graham walk back to the table, she says "Well, something is bothering her. She seems very closed off, and reluctant to share what it is. I hope she relaxes soon and realizes she has friends, well, supportive people here." Collins knows she and Kylah are not friends, not yet anyway, and wonders if that will ever change.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Villa administers the standard tests for aperception and Duke-Heidelburg quotients. While running a continuous brain scan, she shows him dozens of images - a mountain, a Carcillor lion, a storm-tossed ocean, a flower, among many others - on a display screen and asks for his reaction to them. She holds up a hundred small blue cards, one after another, and asks him to say what symbols are shown on the backs of them. She reads to herself silently from a data pad and asks him, every ten seconds, to say what she is thinking. Dr. T'Var takes notes as the tests proceed.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11 Apr 2015 at 10:03 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham gives Rawlings a wave and a nod as he and Collins walk back to the table. He more-or-less grunts as Collins finishes speaking, still distracted.

Then he re-focuses. "Say, speaking of 'supportive people,' do you know where Rangin's been hiding? I've hardly seen him."

Except at Kyah's...maybe he knows the real story. I'm sure he'd welcome answering questions from me as much as I look forward to asking him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin patiently works through the tests keeping as calm and as clear headed as possible.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"No," replies Collins, "I haven't seen Rangin all day."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"You are doing well, Mr. Rangin," T'Var says as she continues to monitor and record everything. "Learning more about your abilities should decrease any concerns or worries you may have."

The doctor places her hand on Rangin's shoulder. "Knowledge is always better than ignorance."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham exhales a deep breath. "Well, I hope the little guy's OK. He and Kylah seemed pretty worked up about some after-effect of that Sakathian mission--" he pauses and looks at Collins apologetically. "Uh, I guess there was some bad shit on that mission...sorry I brought it up, L-T."

He pokes at his food. "Speaking of a rough time--seen Delaney, either? I had the impression Vargas was a hard ass, but after the demotions, well...case closed." He shrugs. "We live to fight another day, I guess."

It strikes him that after the last mission, whether they would be fighting each other or some other adversary remains an open question...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins recalls the chaos of the Sakathian mission, and her own ineptitude therein, and stiffens noticeably. "Yeah, really messed up. And Fujishiro is paying the price." She pushes her salad around with her fork distractedly. "I saw Delaney last night, he seemed preoccupied with I don't know what. I guess he's been spending the day dealing with whatever it was." She finally moves a forkful of food to her mouth and chews, staring past Graham, focusing on nothing in particular.

Registered
    May 2013

"You don't know?" Graham asks, regretting bringing up the Sakathian mission. Not the way to keep Collins in a good headspace.

"Delaney blurted out incriminating information about Hardin over the comm while Kylah and I were still with him. Got us stunned but good." He frowns. "Old bastard totally had the drop on us as a result." He sighs. "I shouldn't have answered the hail till we were clear--we had a lot of non-Security people down there who may not have had a lot of tactical training."

He says a small prayer to any and all divine beings worshipped anywhere and everywhere in the galaxy that Ben arrives soon. "Look, don't beat yourself up. If Vargas thought you ought to be an ensign, or for that matter, third mate on a garbage scow on the far rim, I have no doubt he would have made it so already."

He points at her dish. "And hey, with all you've been through, make sure you get enough protein. You could throw a couple eggs on there, 'sis,'" he says, forcing a smile. "It'd definitely help you out if we ever spar."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Finally the tests are done, and Dr. Villa says, "Thank you, Ensign. That should do for now. Dr. Villa and I will look over the results for a few minutes and then come back. Just relax here. Help yourself to something from the replicator, or use the computer if you like." They go into an adjoining office. The CMO says to T'Var, "I'm going to work up a TL adjusted psionic profile. I'd like you to cross-correlate the readings so far with the Rhaandarite and Coridanite psionic-potential databases. See if you can find any points of commonality."

Ben Cooper enters the mess hall, sees Collins and Graham, and comes over. "Hi. Sorry I'm late."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin nods at the two Doctors and hops down from the bed stretching a few muscles from being still for so long. His brain, however, feels like ti ran a marathon even though, they aren't going to find anything. Then again, it was a slightly more interesting way to spend some time, even though the outcome was going to be futile. The only psychic correlation between the two species was that it just didn't occur. Fellim Palver, himself, was probably closer to a freak of nature than anything and was more likely to have Vulcan or Romulan genetic history, those were the odds indeed.

While watching the two Doctors head into the office, Rangin walks to the replicator and gets a large coffee. Sitting at the desk with the computer, he breathes in the heady aroma before logging in and continuing to read some of his correspondence. Relaxing and slowly clearing his thoughts of the tests just done, he decides after a few sips to also get a plate of cake, to accompany the hot, soothing drink. Rangin carefully places it down and takes a forkful, well aware that Dr. Villa would not approve of getting sticky fingers and crumbs across the desktop.

Registered
    Mar 2012

In the quiet of her quarters, Kylah looks over the finished message on her terminal, now in her SENT ITEMS folder. It is gone, off to its destination back on Elas. She can imagine so very clearly the look on Aldaan's face when he listens and decodes the song.

He will be in his study, in her late father's old ebony chair, and his head will nod, leaning slightly to the left. He will run one finger across his lips in that contemplative, habitual way he has. Slowly, slowly, he will begin to smile.

Kylah knows that smile well... so tiny, so satisfied. It wrinkles only slightly his otherwise unlined cheeks. And his wide, magnetic gray eyes: they will gleam like burnished silver.

It is an expression that has the curious and somewhat sickening power to fill her with relief and pleasure. Even now, even as an adult ostensibly far from his reach, Kylah is compelled to seek approval from this man whom she loves and loathes, admires and fears.

With a ragged sigh, exhausted now that she has at last sent this composition off, Kylah leans back in her chair and runs a hand across her tired eyes. Suddenly her thoughts switch from the man who rules her life to the one who is beginning to reign over her heart.

How long will Velir's tests take? How will he react? She cannot help remembering the dozens of invasive mental and physical tests she endured as a child, but surely the Starfleet crew will not be as ill-equipped to handle measuring psi powers as her family's private doctor.

And just as surely--even if whatever happened to Velir is deemed harmful--Velir will not be forced to undergo the almost medieval methods to eliminate whatever powers they find. At least, Kylah prays this is true. Starfleet medicine must be, must be far more advanced and sensitive. Velir will likely be in little pain.

Even the thought of Velir enduring a little pain is too much for Kylah to stomach. She winces and pulls out her communicator. She has already written much today, but one more message is mandatory:
    VELIR - I am thinking of you. By the time you read this, the tests will probably be through, or perhaps you will have a break. Will you let me know how you are doing, as soon as you feel well enough? Perhaps we may see each other if you are up to it. I know the tests may be tiring, so please rest first. I can wait... although I do not wish to. -- KYLAH
    Once she sends the message, she goes back to her bed, lies down, and, with closed eyes, absently brushes her fingertips across the zither's strings.
    Last edited by choie; 13 Apr 2015 at 03:27 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins smiles, digs out a piece of hard boiled egg and a bit of bacon, and waves it at Graham. "It's in here, already, you dope. That's why I got a Cobb Salad." She eats what's on her fork, then adds, "I did read the report, and I'm glad you and Kylah were not seriously injured by that, or by Palver. I doubt my being there would have made much difference, though. I'm pretty sure I won't be demoted, but I am just as sure I will be stuck at JG for a long time." That's when Cooper arrives. She looks up, smiles warmly, and extends her hand to him. "Hi. You're not late. Graham and I were just talking shop, and we got hungry. Go grab some grub and come back."
    Last edited by anyrose; 13 Apr 2015 at 05:14 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

*ping*

Rangin hears the soft tone while writing yet another missive to his sister finding out how she is doing. Instead of using his communicator he calls up the message on the computer wondering who it might be. As he recognises the sender's name, a warm flush slowly creeps over him as he puts aside one message for this latest one. In some ways he is glad she had not contacted him earlier, before the tests. Otherwise he could have spent the entire time trying to answer questions while thinking of her. Who knows what those results would have shown.

As he reads the message, he smiles at the thought of her, but wonders what kind of tests she thinks he is undergoing. Tedious, rather than tiring would be more apt description. Looking at the office door, the two Doctors are still well-ensconced within their domain and are showing no signs of returning any time soon. Now Rangin could wait until they return, get the results, have a rest and then contact Kylah, but if she can't wait, why should he. Leaving the current message aside, he sends her a brief note in response.
    KYLAH - First set of tests over, just waiting for results to see if anything further is required. Everything is fine here, not expecting anything of note to be found. Will let you know the outcome, when I do. Currently fortified on coffee and cake to keep me going, through would prefer sharing them with good company. Happy to meet up afterwards and promise not to answer everything with Square, Circle, Wavy Lines, Star... - VELIR
    Rangin sends the message on its way and sits back in the chair, thinking happy thoughts while taking another sup of the coffee. He suddenly blushes at how deeply he is thinking of her, when it occurs to him, that T'Var might want to do a mind-meld depending on the results. Rangin squirms uncomfortably in his chair wondering if she could sense such things. Turning back quickly to his correspondence, Rangin hopes to find something dull and boring to at least allay the effect Kylah was having on him.

Because Kylah is anything but.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham makes a big deal of squinting at the pieces of egg. "More egg."

He nods to Ben when he arrives, then when he leaves to get food he leans in a little toward Collins and lowers his voice. "Did you know Kjaerstad? Between you and me, I found his attitude too...casual...about the fuck ups we had on the surface." He frowns slightly. "For what it's worth, I don't know if you've worked with him, but he earned his way onto my list of folks to keep an eye on."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins shakes her head 'no' because she is chewing. When she finishes, says "No, I don't think so. I probably have met him, but it takes me a while to match names to faces, unless I work directly with the person, Ensign... what was it? Graham Cracker?" She laughs.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cooper says, "OK, will do." He goes to the replicator and shortly returns with a grilled-cheese sandwich, potato chips and a pickle. A small bowl of fruit cocktail and a tall glass of ice water round out his meal. "So... did you both have a good day?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I gotta say," Collins answers "After the last two missions, I'm glad to have a routine-nothing-much-happens day." She smiles and finishes off her salad, and starts on her fruit.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham smiles slightly, rolling his eyes at Collins' (lame) joke - which he accepts with equanimity since he's not good at telling jokes either.

"Same here," Graham says about his day. "No drama, no hassles..." He pauses and gestures toward Cooper's plate. "But jeez, doesn't anybody eat meat on this ship? I mean, I think the replicated stuff somehow isn't the same as something right off the bone, but still," he ays shaking his head. "Anyway, I should go so you two can make goo-goo eyes and nauseatingly cute small talk." He taps the datapad. "I was intending to write a letter to my daughter this evening."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Have a good one," Collins says to Graham as he leaves, then turns to Ben, tilts her head a bit smiles and bats her eyelashes at him. "Cute cute cutecutecute cutie cute" she says in a sugary voice. Then allows her face to return to normal, still smiling.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah, now sitting upright on her bed, exhales in relief as she reads Velir's message. It is like him to make light of the tests, and hopefully he is being truthful that they were not invasive. She even recognizes the reference to shapes at the end of the note--although of course, her own mental tests used different patterns.

Her fingers quickly tap out a response offering to eat a proper meal with him once he is through. Then Kylah holds a hand over her growling stomach. It occurs to her that she has eaten very little over the last few days, usually by choice. This is not like her.

And yet it feels oddly challenging, in a good way. Being able to withstand the hunger feels like a strength. Unlike her mind that is so often under the barrage of others' emotions, unlike the multiple recent incidents where her body was stunned, grabbed, invaded, or utterly paralyzed by someone else... at least this is under her control.

Her thoughts return to Velir, concern for the results tickling her brain. What if he does have mental powers after all? Will he recognize her own? The possibility is alarming, but she calms her anxiety by reminding herself that since the Palver incident, Velir has not shown any inkling that he possesses new information about her--not her thoughts, feelings or empathic abilities.

Well... he has displayed insights and sensitivity toward her feelings, but no more than usual. Although these are qualities that appear to be sadly rare in Kylah's experience, fortunately some people do possess enough compassion to care about others' feelings. The memory of having woken up covered in a blanket placed around her by Velir, makes her eyes almost dreamy with affection.

I wish I could surprise him, she thinks, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed and letting them dangle. Like a picnic, choosing the foods for him just as he did on the planet. Should I get something from the replicator? It is so impersonal...

Kylah's eyes suddenly open wider. She knows someone who might be able to help her. They have not spoken since the first day she boarded the ship--and, in truth, the encounter was not particularly pleasant. But she has changed since that day, not even a full month ago. In retrospect she was terribly... well... uptight. Priggish, even. Kylah knows she is hardly carefree now, but she is not sure she would react to a similar situation in the same way. At least, she hopes not.

Given the time, he might be too busy to reach by a hail. She decides to write a note instead, so that he can respond at his leisure.
    JOHNSON, ANDERW:

This is Ensign Kylah, whom you may remember from our brief meeting a few weeks ago. I suppose my contacting you must seem unusual, considering the circumstances, but at the time you did suggest you might be willing to assist me, should I need it. If the offer was sincere, I wonder if you might help me this evening? I would like to surprise a friend currently in Sickbay with a special meal. I hope it is not improper to ask. I can explain further if you have any time available--of course I know the dinner hours are likely busy for you.
    Kylah hesitates, then with a tiny smile, adds:
    If it is convenient for you, I can meet you at your quarters. I remember where they are.

With gratitude and, I hope, an offer of rapprochement: -- KYLAH (ENS.)
    Last edited by choie; 13 Apr 2015 at 04:41 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham finds an empty table - in a corner if he can - and starts writing.

Dear Lizzy,

We just completed a mission. I burned down a historic building, got stunned, and was in command of the whole team, including a young woman who reminds me of you sometimes--especially when she is really mad at me, as she was after I forcibly picked her up and pushed her against a wall.

He sighs and erases what he'd written.

What adds insult to injury is that I write like a ten-year old.

Graham desperately wants a drink, but notes that slamming down whiskey in view of Collins given her...situation...would probably not be living up to his pseudo-brother status.

Dear Lizzy,

You may have read about my last mission in the news--search for "Omicron Ceti III arrests," that was us. I'm back on the ship and

He pauses.

I wanted to let you know that I am all right. And that I miss you.

And your mother, he thinks but does not write.

I hope your studies are going well.

I love you, Daddy, he thinks, but does not write.

What the hell is wrong with you, Booker? he thinks. Answer: the last time you felt like you deserved to be her father she was still young enough to call you "daddy."

He runs a hand through his hair and sends his message with no conclusion.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cooper grins, leans in, widens his eyes and rubs noses with Collins. He says, "Cutesy wootsie ootsie tootsie you!" Then he pinches her cheek, not hard, laughs and digs into his dinner. "There, that should scare him away for at least a week."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var follows Dr. Villa's instructions. She carefully looks over the databases for anything of note.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is glad for Cooper's company, as they finish dinner, but finds herself feeling a little nervous. Based on Cooper's admittedly very normal behavior when they woke up that morning, Collins knows the subject of intimacy will come up at some point this evening, and she feels oddly uncomfortable about it. She hopes she doesn't convey her inner turmoil to her companion as they talk about their day and plan activities for their next day off together.
    Last edited by anyrose; 14 Apr 2015 at 10:07 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The trouble with waking up for night shifts is always the number of messages you got in a day. Ships Cook Johnson scans down the list, ignoring most of them, but surprised by one only recently sent.

Ensign Kylah. It rang a bell from somewhere but he was still half asleep. He'd probably remember after a shower...shower oh yeah. Her. Johnson grinned at the thought hoping she was a little less uptight this time around.

He shrugs, he has time this morning, err, afternoon, oh whatever. Wondering if T'Var is around following the stopover at OCIII, he drops her a note to see if she would fancy a game of chess later on. Vulcan Pastries on him. He hopes she doesn't take that the wrong way, but with T'Var, you never knew.

One brief shower later and having changed into a set of whites, he decides to locate where that Elasian Ensign is and wanders across to see what she wants.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah steps out of the bathroom. This last-minute decision to hop into the shower was made earlier when she found herself nodding off to sleep right after sending her various messages. That wouldn't do; she did not want to nap and miss a hail from Velir or, better yet--if he is feeling up to it after the examinations--a visit.

So now her hair is spiraling down her back in wet tendrils, and she has wrapped her body in a lavender satin bathrobe. Pulling a fresh towel from the shelf, she takes it along with her to the bed. Kylah takes a few moments to towel-dry her hair, then opens her night table drawer to fetch the vial of creamy-smooth body lotion (a gift from her old nanny and a private family recipe that Reena had promised would 'keep that precious skin of yours as soft as an Aleria flower petal--but only if you use it every night, my girl!').

Kylah smiles at the fond memory of her family's old friend and servant. She has not seen Reena for ages, nor heard from her. And that is why she has not used the skin lotion as often as Reena would have liked. It is one of a kind: Kylah may never have an opportunity to replace it, if the worst happens and she never sees Reena again. So she has been as sparing as possible with the beloved, handmade concoction.

It is only the prospect of seeing Velir tonight, and perhaps helping to comfort him if for some reason the examination results prove disturbing, that makes Kylah take extra care to smooth a couple of dollops of the light, fresh-scented lotion across her legs, along her arms, up toward her face, and finally rubbing the remnants into her fingers. It is sensual but soothing, familiar. Reena would do this for her each night when she was a little girl. Her parents rarely touched her once they learned her powers were stronger upon physical contact. Her nanny's hands, though work-hardened, were a blessed luxury Kylah always cherished.

Finished, Kylah glances at her communicator. No message from Velir yet. Or from Johnson, either, but Kylah is not concerned about him. With a sigh, she rummages through her drawer again and begins the somewhat arduous process of combing out the tangles from her long, still-damp hair. And tries to imagine what Velir might be experiencing right now.

Registered
    Sep 2009

In Sickbay, Dr. Villa is still working on a TL adjusted psionic profile for Rangin. Dr. T'Var does not see any direct links or points of commonality with the Rhaandarite psionic-potential database, but sees at once that Rangin's psi rating has jumped several points from when he joined Starfleet just a few years ago. He has gone from the lower 20% of Coridanites for psi potential to the upper 5%, a remarkable - perhaps unprecedented - change which she can't explain.

Cooper is talking about Anubis, which he's visited once before. "I hope we'll have some shore leave together, if you're up to it. It's quite a place, and there are a million things to do."

Much as she enjoys his company, Collins of course remembers Dr. Villa's orders as to sexual intimacy just now.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham sighs. At least, having sent the letter, he feels a sort of relief--what's done is done.

He's somewhat at a loss as to what to do: it occurs to him he'd like to relax and hear some music, but that he'd never yet checked out the ship's activities calendar. He decides to go do that. As he stands he notices the Captain and Lt. Cmdr. Edgardo Cheverez. Although he does not want to intrude, he remembers career advice from many, many years ago: you won't get anywhere in Starfleet being invisible.

Not that it's really relevant any more, he thinks. But it's still good practice to stay top of mind.

On his way out he passes by their table - just close enough to be to offer a cordial greeting without intruding, and still moving to enable the senior officers to acknowledge with a nod and carry on their business.

"Captain, Commander," Graham says with a polite, very slight smile and a nod. "Good evening."
    Last edited by general_urko; 15 Apr 2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: clarified he's going to go check the calendar

Registered
    Feb 2009

"That sounds great, Ben" Jeremi says. "I'd love to go hiking, or climbing, or both." While they talk, Collins realizes it's probably in both their best interests to each sleep in their own beds tonight, but she's not sure how to bring it up.
    Last edited by anyrose; 15 Apr 2015 at 03:51 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Good evening, Mr. Graham," the Captain says. "Getting settled back into shipboard life after your adventures on OC3?" The Chief Engineer nods at Graham but says nothing.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham stops and stands up straighter. "Yes ma'am," he says, briefly returning the Chief Engineer's nod before turning back to the Captain. "Less shooting, less mind control--at least, I think there's less mind control. If I might ask, Captain," he adds after a very brief pause, "are there any clubs or activities that you would personally recommend that a newcomer to Yorktown's crew should explore?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var shares her findings with Dr. Villa. "Mr. Rangin's abilities have grown stronger for no apparent reason. This is quite interesting."

She checks the datapad once more. "How high can his psi rating go? And how quickly?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain smiles. "The Lyceum has a number of books clubs, arts and social groups; you may wish to have a word with Lt. Thalen or Lt. Bennett about that. There are also several sports teams organized through the gym. I play in the soccer league - we use the Shuttlebay - and am in the Gardening Society. I have a plot in the Arboretum to grow things."

Cheverez asks, "Do you have any particular interests outside of work, Ensign?"

Dr. Villa looks over the findings. She says to T'Var, "Interesting, hell, it's extraordinary. His adjusted psi rating has gone from 2 to 8. I've never seen anything like it. What's going on inside his head, and why now? There must be a link to what happened to him on the Sakathian research station, and now his contact with Palver." She thinks for a moment. "I want to run this data by Starfleet Medical. Why don't we let him go for tonight, but I want you to consider what approach you'd like to take if we proceed with a mind meld. All right?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"How about we go for a walk in the Arboretum?" Jeremi smiles at Ben and make out a little while we're there. "Or we could see what movie is playing in the theater."

Registered
    May 2013

"I'm afraid I don't have much of a green thumb myself," Graham replies, "but I'm always game to try a new sport...being in Starfleet can certainly expose you to some interesting ones that are played on different worlds." He adds in reply to Cheverez "I'm partial to history, a bit, sir." He pauses briefly. "And, ah, it's hard to keep up with collecting while on deep space assignment, but I do have a few vintage whiskies from Earth...if either if you were ever of a mind to learn more about my ancestors' greatest contribution to humanity." He smiles slightly. "Well, I didn't mean to interrupt--I'm sure you have important matters to discuss."

He takes a half-step back, prepared to be dismissed.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Of course, Doctor," T'Var replies. "I will give this a great deal of thought and meditation."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ben returns Collins's smile. "Sounds good. Let's go."

Cheverez says, "There are a couple of book clubs aboard; the nonfiction one often reads history, I think." He grins. "I haven't heard of a whiskey club, but there's a Gourmet Club that dabbles in food and spirits. I've been to a meeting or three myself."

Dr. Villa nods. She goes back to Rangin and says, "Thank you for your time, Ensign. We're done with our testing for now. I'm going to share our results with some associates at Starfleet Medical and we'll see if further testing, or a mind meld, is necessary. Any questions? If not, you're free to go."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham returns Cheverez' grin. "ThatGourmet Club sounds like it's worth investigating. Ah, if I might ask, is there anything--other than indulging in some fine food--we ought to be doing to prepare for the ship's next mission?" he adds, addressing both the engineer and the Captain.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As Collins and Cooper walk by Graham, Singh, and Cheverez, she acknowledges her superiors with a "Good evening, Ma'am, good evening, Sir", and whispers "Later, Poogy-woo" for Graham's benefit as she passes. She laughs a bit as she and Ben exit the Mess.
    Last edited by anyrose; 18 Apr 2015 at 12:00 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cheverez glances at Singh, who says, "Nothing at the moment, Ensign, but you'll certainly find out when the time is right."

They respond in kind to Collins and Cooper as the pair goes by. (They miss her whisper to Graham, of course). The Arboretum is empty but for an older man in civilian clothes working on a flower bed; neither of you recognize him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins holds Cooper's hand as they walk. "It's nice to have all this Nature on a star ship, isn't it?" She asks, not really expecting an answer. Jeremi just cherishes this calm time before the next mission, and spending time with Ben.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Definitely," he says, pulling her closer. "I like having a little bit of home right here with us, no matter where we go."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham gives Collins a roll of the eyes in response. He nods to the Captain and Chief Engineer. "Thank you ma'am, sir, enjoy your evening."

He sighs as he leaves the mess. I could go find Lt. Bennett and tell her the Captain suggested I ask her about social activities...that's lame even for you, Booker.

He feels pretty sure Ben's clean...so I don't need to worry about Collins while they're off making goo-goo eyes at each other, he thinks, chuckling slightly.

Then he frowns. Which means her roommate Kylah will be on her own unless she has other plans--which might be fine, or which might be bad, given the way she left earlier.

Graham has a brief internal debate: it seems like something I did earlier upset her. But will trying to find out what make things better, or worse?

He shakes his head slightly as he changes course to swing by Kylah and Collins' quarters. Probably worse, but since when has that ever stopped you from trying? Well, if she's out, then that's that, if not...once more into the breach....

If he arrives without incident he takes a deep breath and rings the chime.
    Last edited by general_urko; 18 Apr 2015 at 08:34 PM. Reason: edited last lines

Closed thread