+ Reply to thread

Thread: A 1,000 year old antibiotic

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default A 1,000 year old antibiotic

It's amazing what you can find in old books these days. While looking through an old medical manuscript describing the method of getting rid of a stye, researchers decided to see what happened if they tried it out.

Well, it appears that when you mix wine, garlic and cow's bile, you do get an antibiotic that can treat styes.

You also get an antibiotic that is capable of killing 95% of all MRSA bacteria.

More on the story here

I knew garlic had some antibiotic properties, but its amusing to think that such an old recipe is capable of dealing with a modern day problem.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

That is pretty unexpected. Help me out, is the MRSA the so called flesh eating version of Staph?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Well, it appears that when you mix wine, garlic and cow's bile, you do get an antibiotic that can treat styes.
    You are what you eat! I used to be a pepperoni pizza, but this sounds a bit more accurate vis-a-vis my current lifestyle.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I was a plate of apple strudel once, but that was a couple of incarnations ago.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    That is pretty unexpected. Help me out, is the MRSA the so called flesh eating version of Staph?
    MRSA is the antibiotic resistant version of Staph, which is becoming more and more common. Treating it involves finding the antibiotic it hasn't developed immunity to and hoping.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    MRSA is the antibiotic resistant version of Staph, which is becoming more and more common. Treating it involves finding the antibiotic it hasn't developed immunity to and hoping.
    OK, I double check, we are talking about the same thing. It made a lot of news maybe 7-10 years ago sensationalized as the "Flesh Eating virus". Which considering it is bacterial is even more sad.

It would be wonderful if they found a useful treatment for it.

+ Reply to thread