+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Clothing advice thread for non-tools

Registered
    Jul 2013

I have a for-tools-only question:

I've never ordered any "fitted" clothes like a suit online -- I found a cheap navy suit, which turned out to be either mislabelled or just plain the wrong size.

The last suit I bought was in a store, and they just took my measurements and did stuff to the suit and I came back in a few days and it was great.

But what's the deal with the typical unfinished slacks of a suit? I know all about the hems and in a pinch could tack them up myself for a cheap thrill.

But the waist? I don't think I've seen advertised online the waist size of the pants.

I know a tailor can do all that, fix the waist, but that's far beyond my abilities, except insofar as I have trust in my belt.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I've decided I don't need a cheap suit -- I'm not going to work as a loan officer at a bank. The costs in tailoring alone make going with suit separates (by the same company, same style -- trust me, it's a thing) better.

It pisses me off that Jos A. Bank wants like $600 for the same blazer I got for like $80 and had to return because they sent the wrong size.

Fucking assholes.

Hell, I already have plenty of sportcoats -- just not one in navy. They just need some needle-and-thread.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, so I have a black camelhair blazer, a nice silk houndstooth sportcoat, a tweed that just needs me to sew on elbow patches, and another houndstooth in a black-and-white.

The black blazer is a little biggish on me these days, but I think with a light grey V-neck sweater, shirt, tie, and either dockers or grey wool pants, and black shoes, that could pass for interviewing to pick up some office temp job for a month or two.

Or, since it's summer, houndstooth.

Or use the tweed with a tie and slacks -- it looks good and professorial.

Registered
    Jul 2013

http://imgur.com/FQRLF2V

Sunhat. You don't know how many years I've secretly coveted a sunhat, but never got around to finding one.

Costco. On *sale* at Costco -- you know how rare sales are there. It isn't like Uncle's Day at a whorehouse, let me tell you.

Plus, it keeps the sun off my face.

Plus, I think Serpico wore something like this on an undercover operation in the movie.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 13 Aug 2015 at 05:29 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Last edited by Jizzelbin; 13 Aug 2015 at 07:17 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

try http://imgur.com/WhDtfGV try http://imgur.com/YRm2H1q try http://imgur.com/95nPgWG

So to go from looking like "a beekeeper or a very odd-looking old woman" (quote from FB) how does a cowcockie do up his hat? Also I cannot figure out how cameras work.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Check it bitches!

I'm stoked to have been picking up new glasses this morning. My first prescription pair of plastic-framed shades -- I've always used aviator-style frames, but thought it was time for a change.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, so the clasp to the flava flav watch broke I'm no mechanically inlined, so https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Also, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00. Yeh, I figure 42L is close enough -- better err on the side of caution. No worries. I can always wear a sweater underneath.

Damned right, though --https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HN22GLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, and a big-ass umbrella: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And some boring computer cables and stuff.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ACTUALLY good old low-cut Chucks are not too bad for walking the concrete warehouse floors.

It's been a dog's age since I've worn these (they've just been sitting in my pile of shoes for years), but with thin nylon or composite socks, they're pretty OK.

I think instead of going for the many pairs of boot-cut trail-runners or running shoes I have lying around, I'll just stick with these.

Also WareGirl wears flat-soled shoes last I noticed, so maybe I can trick her into thinking she doesn't need to clear her birth-canal of unwanted matter when she's around me.

ETA Unless she wants to. I hope she doesn't want to.

EETA But the problem is: "That goddamned jackass is copying my footwear! I should have one of my coven cut his dick off!" Well, AFAIK, she doesn't wear Chucks, and even if she did, so do lots of people. And I can fight off a pack of angry witches, pretty sure. Also pretty sure there aren't any of those around now, if ever.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Aug 2018 at 05:29 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

some goofball doing a short Youtube review of a watch I just bought.

Casio MTP4500 — slide-rule bezel, chronograph, stainless steel.

Extremely basic, but I felt it was time for an upgrade.

I do miss the dual analog+digital readouts for different time zones and for ease of chronograph use, but it's OK.

I think I'm going to pay a jeweler to remove one of the links from the wrist band — sorry, that's just getting ridiculous, like watching a bear ride a tricycle, me trying to hammer out one of the retaining pins, and I think it would be much worse me trying to hammer it back in place.

I think this will be a bit sturdier for around the warehouse, since my new kick is trying to measure and compute the efficiency of various managerial decisions, compared to the correct way, using combinations of tractable algorithms and data structures

Plus, what I can't do in my head, I can just use the slide rule to get a rough approximation.

I'd call it a good purchase, although it seems of a size more suited to Presidential tiny-hands than mine. But that's fine.

Registered
    Jul 2013

What the fuck is the deal with crotch holes developing in every pair of jeans I've ever had?

Admittedly, this last pair was from Costco, with the Levi brand, but while my balls are big, they aren't hanging low like the old guys at the YMCA.

Do I need crotch-reinforced Chuck Norris jeans? Or perhaps I should find where "specially manufactured for <Costco, or whatever>" Levis aren't sold...I don't know where you'd buy some Levis that aren't specially "enhanced" for specific stores. AFAIK there isn't a Levi-Strauss store in my town, except maybe some outlet store way the hell out.

Well, you can't see the crotch hole (OK, I admit I just like saying that phrase) in normal use, but it still bothers me.

And not owning a serging machine, nor much knowledge of anything sewing machine, except needle and thread for routine repairs, it can't be fixed.

I like the fit, I like the bit of lycra for active work, I like the color, I like that nobody expects jeans to be immaculately clean (cf. ZZ Top, "Blue Jean Blues"), but crotch-rot after a few months is ridiculous.

Let's say I measure them like shoes — for hiking shoes, I expect about 800 miles. These jeans only got me about maybe 200 miles of walking. Ridiculous.

And a man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous!

//////////

ETA And also, riddle me this. What's so fucking hard about changing a watch battery on a quartz analog watch? People make a big deal out of it. I think in principle these sorts of watches can all have their guts exposed. What am I missing here?
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 16 Oct 2018 at 05:26 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    (i) I'm liking these Doc Marten (sp?) slip-on leather casual shoes. I've been more than a few miles in them and seems fine. But the fucking SOLES! They're so thick and spongy, I think after a few hundred miles of walking on pavement they're just going to be eaten away. I don't like it.
    Oh, since this is obviously important, I should update (before I knew "Doc Marten" was a straight-up Nazi). After a few years, the outer soles and stiiching has held up.

And the yellow "signature" stiching has faded away. Which is good for me -- I don't care for that "detail."

And they could use some new insoles.

But maybe.......I don't know a few hundred miles on pavement....their longevity is pretty good.

I don't know, people still drive Nazi cars, so, while I'm not happy about the provenance, I don't think I'm going to get rousted as a closet Nazi.

BUT the outer soles are more resembling leather-soled shoes.

And I haven't bothered to use a brush and apply some treatment to get rid of the inevitable scuffs on the uppers.

Hmmm.

I really regret to say this, but they were a darned good loafer, and still are.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Damn right.

I don't do Amazon Prime, but of course I used the "Free One Month Trial" to get shipping savings. Note to anyone watching: if you don't use AMZ prime, immediately cancel after use so your card doesn't get charged.

I do have a small 10% discount, but that's not much.

Carharrt Men's Rugged Relaxed Fit Cargo Pants

Merrill Moab something trail shoes

And, a new ballcap made for bulbous heads, with an extra-long bill

And a rechargeable marine air horn.

Supposedly should be here by Sunday when I get home from work.

But judging by the clouds of reefer smoke coming from the van drivers' vehicles and their general idiocy, I wouldn't bet on it.

//ETA Oh, and, yes, it is true that Carharrt's waist sizes are pretty "true to size" — I'm embarrassed to say that I have trouble sucking in my gut to get into their waist==36.

Well, that's what belts are for, I guess. That and the handy top button WHICH IS OPTiONAL!!!!!

But, something to work towards, and I think AMZ sells real Carharrt's, not "specially made for Walmart" or whatever.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 19 Oct 2018 at 02:31 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

The Big head ball cap is the best I've used that accomodates a large crown as well as the trivial circumference size.

It has some stupid logo on the front, but whatever. Also, supposedly UPF 50. The bill is not as long as I'd have liked, but is adequate.

////

The Carharrt cargo pants seem fine. Not heavy fabric, but not wimpy fabric. Probably good for light duty.

///

The Merrill Moab whatever shoes fit well, seem sturdy, but are just overpriced sneakers to me at this point. I don't think they substitute for work boots, but lateral stability seems fine. They're pretty ugly — they look like K-Mart blue-light specials, but who cares.

I bet 600 miles on these, at most, before the somewhat aggressive tread is sanded off and the toe part of the sole starts to separate.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Goddamned fucking A, I feel like a chump for buying this razor.

Yeah, I was at the grocery picking up some "supplies" (i.e., tobacco and alcohol) and after two or so days, I wanted a fresh disposable razor to cut through the stubble.

WTF is this, "Bromley's Classic Razor" bullshit?

I can't believe I fell for some impulse buy — OK, so now I have the razor "base" and one cartridge.

Well, it was the same price as one pack of a dozen single-blade disposables which, IME, take forever to get rid of the incipient beard.

Oh well. Apparently I'm a "Bromley's" man from now on. The cartridge/blades didn't seem outrageously expensive, so, I guess that's what's what.

In my defense, it's pouring down rain, I look like an unshaved hobo, and I'm half-drunk and really wanted some tobacco. In addition to wanting to restore my "wine cellar."

Probably not the best frame of mind to be shopping for things.

//ETA And this is not in line with my desire to accumulate only things which allow me to travel freely at any moment. It appears one can purchase straight razors with many blades cheaply.

No matter.

Oh well. Even if the million-bladed wonder that is the Bromley's only lasts one or two shaves, I suppose it's worth the expense.

AND, I do like a closer shave than I can get with the disposable razors. I think it looks and feels better.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 27 Oct 2018 at 08:14 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, I need a little advice.

I found a $500 navy blazer in my nominal size (42 XextraLong) on a clearance sale for about $70.

It arrived today. The shoulders fit perfectly, the length of the body and sleeves are perfect.

However, there's a slight problem with, you know, buttoning the jacket. It could be done with a Robert Mitchum-style "suck in the gut" or maybe an elaborate system of trusses and compression undergarments.

It's possible that I could just sneak the top button over towards the center a bit, with a few minutes of needle+thread work.

HOWEVER, it's fine unbuttoned, and I plan to lose twenty pounds by the end of Lent.

And the material is a very nice super-fine (I think is the term) wool, and getting trim is a good thing to aspire to. The cut of the blazer is clearly designed to be for a very trim person about the midriff.

Just HOW important do you all think it is to button a blazer, even if worn with a tie and some nice pants, etc? For something more formal, I'd wear my one charcoal grey suit with some subtle pinstripes. But I'd hoped to be able to use the blazer as a substitute for all affairs not requiring actual business attire.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And, no, I don't believe it's my modest gut that is the problem. As I believe is correct, the size of the jacket refers to the breadth of the chest, primarily.

So, there's nothing I can do about it. I can't reduce the size of my shoulders and the pectoral muscles. No, I don't have bitch-tits, just a sort of broad upper body.

So, in conclusion, they're making jackets for sunken-chested twinks.

Apparently.

However, if the shoulders fit correctly and the length of sleeve and torso are correct, I don't think there's anything to be done except to have a bespoke jacket made, which seems ridiculous for a simple blazer.

For more active wear, I've still got the larger-sized camelhair black blazer and the tweed.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I wonder if any of the regularly-shaving-type-people have had luck with using the traditional "butterfly-opening" safety razors that take the older-style disposable double-edged razors.

Not really a clothing advice topic, but it's close, and it has to do with my goal of having an extremely compact, versatile set of clothing and grooming materials, should I need to flee to the streets and yet avoid looking like your average hobo.

Plus, it's supposedly possible to get a very close shave with these, and is more compact than trying to shove dozens and dozens of disposable razors in my "bug-out" bag.

And, no, I don't have any intention of becoming homeless any time soon, but I still like to be somewhat prepared.

In theory.

Registered
    Jul 2013

eh, so for...I don't know, since I decided I should wear at minimum a ball-cap style hat to keep sun out of my eyes and when I have the moonroof open, stop from looking like a beach volleyball player past his prime, I've been experimenting with ball keeps that can do 7¾ inch head.

I found an OK one from a group called FlexFit, just plain black ball cap, but it fits weird.

So I ordered another one in the sort of fatigue military style, just arrived today.

Fits in circumference tolerably well, and doesn't have a lot of extra fabric up top like a trucker cap.

I'm keeping it, but while I admire those in the military infinitely more than some civilian peace officers, I'd not want to pretend to be a part of their crew or disrespect their traditions.

It's just a style of hat and it fits, to me.

What do you think? Fits good, has a brim for some additional shade, is basic black, not various camo or anything, and it's the only kind I can find with a non-adjustable circumference band that reliable doesn't look ridiculous when I push it up off my brow for extra visibility.

+ Reply to thread