+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Scottish Choice

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default The Scottish Choice

Well, the time is finally here, tomorrow Scotland gets to choose its future. Does it stay with the Union, as it has been for the last 300 years or so and head towards something akin to Home Rule or does it take the step of independence splitting the Union and becoming its own nation state.

And the thing is, its just too close to call, all the polls are within the margin of error that it could go either way. They are expecting a huge turnout of voters though, another reason why no-one knows what is going to happen.

The antagonism on both sides has been incredible, the plans laid out by both sides have been pretty pie in the sky and you wonder how it ever came to this point seeing as the "Yes" vote was never supposed to be close to winning. Admittedly the group behind "Better Together" have been atrocious and have done none of the running and several people need to be taken out and given a very stern talking to.

I guess by Friday lunchtime we will know whether Great Britain is the same or just that little bit smaller on the world stage. But the sun will still rise and we will get on with it, I'm sure.

And then in 25 - 50 years time, we can see how all those promises held out.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sigh...the British Empire falling apart, that's one thing.

Britain?

Registered
    Sep 2009

As an ardent Anglophile and someone who thinks the United Kingdom is much greater than the sum of its parts, I've followed the process pretty closely, and really hope there's a strong majority for NO.

As a political junkie and lawyer, however, I wouldn't half-mind a YES vote, just to see how things shake out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, the polls are all too close to call, slightly giving it to the No Vote perhaps. I'll be staying up for the results anyway, or snoozing through them as they come in overnight.

I think things will be calm for a little while after the result, regardless of what it is. But I'm expecting a real backlash against Scotland for either walking away from the Union or for getting an effective devo-max solution and getting more money at everyone else's expense.

Democracy in action.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

I hope the ayes have it. It will still be Britain, but it would be like how we think of Scandinavia, a contenental-type union of nations. As opposed to a soviet-style system ruled from London.
    Last edited by Trojan Man; 18 Sep 2014 at 06:05 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't know the internal politics, not at all, nor do I know any Scots personally, but as someone who doesn't have much of an opinion, it's nice to see something in international political news that isn't a complete bummer (or at least, extremely fraught, as, for example, an Arab Spring exciting time).

Hey, so non UK-ers, and non-EUers, where do you come down, and why?

The only people I talk to IRL just chit-chatting are like, "Yeah, well a few hundred years too late, not like the Irish, stood for something," "Yeah, well, they've still got hold of that chunk in North," basically vicariously trying to vindicate their own family history, however many generations in US.

It is not clear to me that the Scottish province's decision to declare (which is not the same as to be) independence (mut mut independent) will have much effect on the EU, in Belgium or wherever they put it.

I mean, fucking A, split Belgium in half too.

Not trying to stir up shit unduly, I want to know.

Therefore, tell me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The big fear from the rest of Europe was that if the UK gave independence to Scotland, then lots of other states would want exactly the same thing, seeing as the UK was the world's greatest exporter of democracy, so if they can do, so can everyone else.

Spain has Catalonia who wants to be independent, the Basque region in Spain/France. Italy has several smaller states that would like it. Crimea would use it as a reason to rejoin Russia etc. etc.

But, the door has now closed and a lot of politicians will be gratefully relieved that Scotland has voted no.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Well, the door is closed, sure. But the result was 55%/44%. Hardly a landslide. And bound to maintain friction. I doubt the independence issue and issues surrounding it will simply vanish.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Just a different PM might ease the the push though too.

I am glad the vote went 'No' as I think the world is better off with a stronger UK than one without Scotland. But I also understood the desire for many Scots to be free of England.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    The big fear from the rest of Europe was that if the UK gave independence to Scotland, then lots of other states would want exactly the same thing, seeing as the UK was the world's greatest exporter of democracy, so if they can do, so can everyone else.

Spain has Catalonia who wants to be independent, the Basque region in Spain/France. Italy has several smaller states that would like it. Crimea would use it as a reason to rejoin Russia etc. etc.

But, the door has now closed and a lot of politicians will be gratefully relieved that Scotland has voted no.
    I meant to thank you when you wrote this, but now that the dust has settled, I shall do my thanking now.

You know, as lamentable is the "profession" of journalism, less worthy of attention is the "job" of commentator, which explains my lack of attention to the various boobs.

Your pre'cis just about summed it all up, so, thanks for that.

Yeah, I'm just an American, so I don't really care, but thanks for your good work, here.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I was quite disappointed that Scotland voted No but I suppose a few more years down the line it won't matter either way. It makes me think though that any referendum on Irish unity would have a similar result.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The hard part now is trying to get the two sides abck to working with each other, given all the bitterness that has sprung up over this.

Will be curious to see if Scotland winds up like Quebec in that its no longer an issue at all, or whether we go round this loop again in 20 years time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah demographics suggests somewhat that it might recur as an issue but it is hard to see how the 45% campaign will do much other than fizzle out, especially if more powers are devolved to the Scottish Parliament. As with everything, time will tell.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by spitz View post
    Well, the door is closed, sure. But the result was 55%/44%. Hardly a landslide....
    A landslide is usually considered anything over an 8% margin. This was definitely a landslide.

I was actually surprised the margin was that big. Now Alex Salmond has resigned as both First Minister and as head of the SNP; with additional devolved powers from Westminster, I think the concept of Scottish independence is probably dead for a generation or more.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Strange really, a week or so later and its all but forgotten in the 24 hour media, On to the next story and so on.

Registered
    Mar 2009

There's always new bones to pick over.

Registered
    Sep 2009

David Cameron always obligingly purrs, I mean, puts his foot in it: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...y-queen-purred

Registered
    Mar 2009

And you wonder why some Scots wanted to leave?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, I don't wonder in the least. I just think it was a very bad idea.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Think of it this way, if they had left, they would be being ruled by Wee Eck himself.

Apparently that would have been enough for the Sheltand and Orkney Isles to ask for a referendum to rejoin the UK or possibly Norway.

+ Reply to thread