+ Reply to thread

Thread: Religion and the Arts -- Herbie Hancock speaks on Buddhism and Creativity

Registered
    Jul 2013

Default Religion and the Arts -- Herbie Hancock speaks on Buddhism and Creativity

One of Herbie's recent lectures, titled "Buddhism and Creativity" is worth looking at. Reddit's "jazz" subreddit is actually a pretty interesting forum, for being so large.

I am still miffed some chippie at school like ten years ago never returned my printed copy of Cage's Norton lectures (and I think she gave a friend of mine crabs or herpes), but never mind.

I will also be posting to this thread some additional comments on Herbie's lecture, as well as several interesting pieces of information about Kerouac's application of Catholicism and Buddhism to his own practice.

Registered
    Feb 2009

thanks, sounds interesting

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I don't have great deal to add, but at about 17:30 or so Herbie says the same thing.

Everybody knows everything, already, and essentially, the only answers are the ones one has already asked.

I have, despite appearances, done my time in meditation, and I think and believe the only thing is nothing new. There is nothing new in Herbie.

That's the only thing he says, so skip the video, unless you want some fashion tips.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, at about 27:30 Herbie starts agreeing with me, and this is why I like talking about things like music and movies: there is something everyone has that one can appreciate, or one has not learned to appreciate. So, I don't like x's movies. Well, my view is that I don't understand how x's movies work. I cross the street and somebody almost kills me with a car or whatever? Well, I have choices, "take a picture" "wield a weapon" or "don't give a shit" or "all of the above." It's all the same thing. The world is yours, so treat it accordingly.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"stress. Although an important motivator, it can often do more harm than good."

Thoughts?

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Stress is very good and useful. Too much stress, or too constant, is toxic.

Registered
    Jul 2013

57:55 -- Herbie's anecdote about feeling liberated just because, "hey, I can do what I want, improvise, and make other people feel good."

To me that's freedom, and that's why I feel at home behind the piano or organ -- feeling at home, and making other people feel happy. That's why I can't get behind all this technology and iPads and stuff -- make it real. That's it.

+ Reply to thread