i couldn't really fit (i dont think) this in chate with spitz's good, smart (????? durrr yer mom's smrt) comments about jazz and stuff.

well i feel u about jazz dumbasses just being straight-up morons. for me, the comment better applies to guitar people, particularly rock people. "erm derm just play E and than C"! that used to really be hard for me to follow. but every musical clique/subgroup has their own linguistic tricks to describe what they're doing. maybe it's just that jazz people can be self-righteous pricks who are sure that their nomenclature is teh rulez because they heard some of their idols say it like that in some book or interview. musicians are basically all idiots, iow. also, jazz people wear stupid hats and are basically junkie assholes. or drunks, or whatever. millenials, iow.

fwiw my main guitar guy collaborator keeps the self-righteousness to a minimum and, even though when I've pressed him for the changes to one of his odd-meter things to write on a napkin for some tune he mentioned he wanted to do is often, well, not the way I'd describe the changes, but pretty close. i did at one point just go to his records and actually transcribe his originals and it was fucking hard and took a long time. because, I guess prog rock roots die hard, apparently. eh. whatever, it's still good music. anyway, he probably just feels superior because he can just look at my LH and play whatever tune I'm doing. I can't be that accurate looking at the guitar fretboard, so I just have to fake it, or at least try to not sound too shitty. Then again, nobody in an audience knows or cares as long as you don't fuck up and start playing in two completely different keys -- you can always make it sound good enough. To be fair, I never tell him what tune I['m playing, nor does he me, nor do we rehearse or anything, so it's not a lot of talking. I still don't remember what his wife's name is, nor what his day job is, nor even really know where he lives. We're not exactly buddies -- well, I mean, good enough that we can shoot the shit about personal stuff just passing the time, meet each other's friends, borrow equipment, have some beers, eat together, that kind of thing -- just kind of know how to show up, be reasonably professional (don't be late, don't have broken gear that you can't fix on the fly or troubleshoot quickly, don't be all drunk and shit [well, let's not go overboard, have seven or eight microbrews, sure, but save it for the break after you got your ass planted on the bench and some good ideas of what to do for the next few, but not be like pissing your pants loaded, you know!], make it look fun, load in, load out quickly, don't anger the locals), have some fun, oh the main thing for me is not have open containers on stage at least where it's visible I personally think that looks as bad as having charts up on a music stand when just improvising some sets] play something pretty, and have some fun improvising just to keep things fresh.

oh and by keep things fresh -- for me that's important, because how else are you going to keep the energy level up, and also give the appearance of looking like what u do is important, fun, vital? makes it sound like a con game, but i guess it kind of is. play it pretty, make it look good, and be relaxed, but also bring it! probably some kid wrote a dissertation about this shit, but unfortunately i don't have the energy to do any research about .... anything, really.