+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The funny RL observations and anecdotes thread RPG omnibus

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

I just void the bladder/bowel as required. To be honest I haven't put any thought into it...

I didn't say you mangled the chords! It just sounds completely different when, y'know, you changed them. And not only the chords, but also the tempo, rhythm, and general flow of my progression. I'm not saying it's bad at all, just very surprised to hear my bouncy, ragtimey prog transformed into a cabaret piece. Viva la difference!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, to you, you have the whole song figured out. I just have some chords I jotted down on a piece of scrap paper. Anyway, maybe I should try recording something for real. I'm kind of liking making up a new rock-and-roll type boogie on those changes -- it reminds me of the Stones' "Rip This Joint" (off *Exile*) going right to the V after the first bar.

But that's not anything -- that's just playing the changes and doing whatever in the right hand. I do like hanging on that Eb at the end for maybe two bars -- it's such a nice sound and a nice way to get back to the G, that's the way I'll play it.

And the A7 at the end reminds me of Richard Manuel's piano playing on some of The Band's tunes, like "Sweet Jemima" and stuff, so that's staying in for sure.

Not sure what I can do with the e minor -- probably just keep it there for a few bars, to kind of let the ear linger on it, then about a few beats before the A7 "convert" it to an E7 (or Bb7).

Hey, man, you can't copyright chord progressions! Nyah nyah! I can do whatever I want with it!

Registered
    Mar 2010

Haha... I'd like to hear 2 versions from you then: the straight, rock/gospel version, and your ''getting carried away'' version. The difference in how we read a chord prog is astounding to me.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, now that you have the version with the rhythm up, I can for sure find lots to do on that. At first I was like "rock"? But hearing it in that way, OK, I get it.

Well, that's not at all different from what I was thinking -- the chords really shouldn't be altered at all (although they could be, I guess). It's different when you just have a scrap of paper in front of you.

Registered
    Sep 2009

spitz, if you don't mind my asking, why is your sig still "Happy New Year!"?

Registered
    Mar 2010

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    OK, now that you have the version with the rhythm up, I can for sure find lots to do on that. At first I was like "rock"? But hearing it in that way, OK, I get it.

Well, that's not at all different from what I was thinking -- the chords really shouldn't be altered at all (although they could be, I guess). It's different when you just have a scrap of paper in front of you.
    Of course it's different going by some chords scribbled down, not remembering the music you heard. I reckon it'll sound grouse on piano

Registered
    Mar 2010

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    spitz, if you don't mind my asking, why is your sig still "Happy New Year!"?
    It's always a new year somewhere, according to someone. I'm trying to be inclusive.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by spitz View post
    Of course it's different going by some chords scribbled down, not remembering the music you heard. I reckon it'll sound grouse on piano
    Baloney. I like my chords to stink like my manure.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I can imagine you mucking about with atonal "music"

Registered
    Jul 2013

Snob. What are you, the man of the one true people?

Atonal music can be beautiful or crap. I imagine most people approach 20th century through-composed music the way some blueblood in a Three stooges short sneers at the plumbers and janitors of the world.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Atonal music can be beautiful the same way those bald little dogs with the bulging eyes can be beautiful - to pop princesses with large handbags and no taste in dog breeds...
    Last edited by Trojan Man; 08 Apr 2015 at 12:32 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2010

To be fair, I appreciate atonal music as a concept. Beyond that - no.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Shallow, insignificant bleatings from a man who knows bovines well.

I was lying, I only listen to John Philip Sousa and instrumental versions of "The Wearing of the Green" and the "Marseillaise." And cowboy music from Bakersfield.

I don't really know what purely atonal music sounds like. There are the pre-serial Schoenberg records, which are kind of pretty, some of them, but the organizational, precompositional rigor of various strands of serialism is the beginning AND end of classical music's "fuck you" to the man, and paean to the triumphs of the human spirit.

Racist.

Registered
    Mar 2010

You speak of degrees of atonality? I was taught in music college that music either has a tonal centre, or it doesn't. The concept might work if the composer weren't fatalistic about it. The stuff I heard had no tonality at all, no rhythm, no consonance, no agreeable qualities whatsoever. It sounded like a young child had swallowed a piano, then was bashed repeatedly into a bigger piano. Bad medicine.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I don't disagree with you. I doubt the organizing tendencies of the ear can truly perceive something as atonal -- everything kind of has some latent structure, even if it's superimposed by the ear, maybe. Maybe purely aleatory music.

Serial (12-tone) music might be atonal (Berg's work in general, however, is not, despite a certain adherence to principles), but the organization, precision, and all of the various moods possible are exciting to me, and, historically, the movement away from tonal pattern-ism (i suppose maybe Chopin had some influence, but I don't care for Chopin too much and I don't wish to discuss him) was bound to a certain period of time, the collapse of all Europe, and so forth.

I don't know, I'm not a musicologist, I just enjoy listening to Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, Messiaen, Boulez. The others can go fuck themselves, with their helicopter noises and bullshit.

Registered
    Mar 2010

It's true, it has to have structure on some level. But ultimately, a concept is only as good as what you bring to it. And Chopin was the first art rocker. He'd write pieces about spinning wheels, but they also contained a kind of narrative. His music gets on my nerves in large doses, but the dude was good at his craft.

Registered
    Jul 2013

His music gets on my nerves in large doses, but the dude was good at his craft.
    He was a ponce. Old crazy cat ladies listen to his music.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Shit, back on target, I think I did a bad thing.

I'm waiting for a class on a park bench reconfiguring Octave/Matlab on my computer, and some guy -- regular dressed, I knew immediately from his leather little zipper-folder and the brochures he was a man of God. Yep, "Hi, I'm from the Campus Ministry, blah blah blah, would you be interested in having a talk?"

I said, "No, thank you, though, but" (point to this lady sitting twenty five feet away from me on an opposite bench), "you might talk to her. I think she seems depressed."

--"OK. I might take you up on that."

But he got ninja'd by two ladies from his office as he was walking over.

Yeah, that was kind of a bad thing. I'm usually very nice to them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A comedian once said that the best way to make sure you kept an empty seat next to you on a plane or in an auditorium was to say, if asked by someone if the seat was available, "No, no one's sitting there... no one but the Lord."

Registered
    Jul 2013

That's a good one.

I'm kind of offended when they approach me -- so I have kind of a permanent sourpuss, what do they think I'm on the edge of taking the high dive or something?

Bastards. With their joy and agape and shit.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I guess Chopin is too vivid for you. Or too subtle, maybe. Ah well.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, he's just so dainty and twee. He reminds me of hipsters. Also, I can't play his more difficult stuff. Also, I just don't like a lot of his melodies -- I outgrew them when I was about twelve.

Fun fact, though, two days ago I did try to play from memory the C# minor waltz. I have no idea why. Ear training exercise, I guess.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Those grapes a bit sour, eh?

Registered
    Jul 2013

What? I'm not "sour" about Chopin, I just could go the rest of my life without hearing his music again.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I suppose you know how Salieri felt about Mozart.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I saw the movie. It had that guy from *Animal House* in it who was all up in Karen Allen's snapper.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I got one. So in "Non-classical Logic PHL 474/574", the Prof grumbled about how crappy his lower-case "tau" looked, and some mook was like "'tau' is all fancy!"

That actually made me laugh out loud.

No shit, the same guy said to his desk-mate, "I got a big laugh from over there!"

I think people in general among my cohort think I'm some stony-faced robot. e

I don't know where that comes from -- just, in public, I don't smile, and just keep my head down.

One-on-one, it's fine. The other day I asked a woman on the train to give me a Cracker-Jack (jokingly, because she was eating some), and she gave me an entire box. Didn't want it, but I think she, as a black woman, was surprised that some white dude treated her like any other person (Portland, OR is an extremely white town -- most white people here don't really deal with people of color, mainly because it's a small-town where people stay in their cars). Well, my middle nephew got a gift two days ago of the Cracker Jack prize (it was some sticker of a Detroit team -- I think the Lions, but maybe the Tigers).

Eh, whatever, they can think i'm a sourpuss b/c I don't smile like an asshole, don't walk into traffic without checking five or more times, but I'll be damned if I'm going to (i) not smile if it's funny (ii) not make a joke if it's funny or (iii) not stay my course unless someone is going to have a problem.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Are you really a white dude?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Basically half French, half Irish. So, about as white as it gets. There's some (spitz German) and (spitz English fuckass) in there, but yeah. Probably some jew blood.

Fuck it, I'm white and I'm proud.

But the colored folks love to hear me preach.

Registered
    Mar 2010

For the last fucking time, punk, I'm not a Pom! Grrr!!!! I kept getting lumped in with ''other English people'' when I was in France. I'm not even of convict stock!

Dammit I got so used to thinking you were black, now I just can't see you as a white boy...

Registered
    Jul 2013

I didn't call you a pommie in years, but I will now.

Go lick a queen, you subject.

Why would you think I'm a blackFellow? Because I didn't say i wasn't? Because I have good taste in music? Because I have a big dick?

Racist pom

Registered
    Mar 2010

Big dick compared to what? A cashew???

I think you said something at the start of your time at this board, or maybe the Geeb, that seemed to imply to me that you were black. Also, the piano thing and how your jazz youtube links are all black people. I can't remeber the actual thing now, but something you said made me think that.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, American music and culture is at least a bunch percent black.

People who, in the US, get out and about and talk to people, are likely to get to know American culture.

Yeah, sure, I'm an American, and I like music, and I like to travel in the regular way (trains, planes, streets), so, sure, being a friendly guy, I meet people of all sorts.

I don't know what conclusions can be drawn from that.
    Yeah, I'm pretty fucking white -- in fact, I wear sunglasses all the time, because my eyes are blue, and I cover my face with an "extra-long" ballcap because I don't want to b a wrinkled prune before I'm forty years old.

But America is black. John Ph. Sousa is black. The USMC is black. It's also all white. It doesn't matter.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Well I didn't know Souza was black either, so there you go. No gaydar, no sense of race... Westborough won't be giving me an invite haha.

Registered
    Jul 2013

WTFRU talking about?

I guess I have raceDar, whatever that is. Black, yellow, red, pale, whatever. Fuck you.
    And gayDa: flamboyant: fuck you. non-flamboyant=regular: fuck you.

Simple rules.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Have you been drinking the turpentine again?

Registered
    Jul 2013

I still have seven oz. of a fifth of whiskey left so what's your problem you ozzie lightweight. creampuff. and it's not even midnight.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Whiskey... What sort is it?

Registered
    Jul 2013

It's a brand called "Broker's" -- blended, distilled in my home state in the USA. It's also the cheapest. But, in my defense, it is the best of the bottom-shelf whiskeys.

As for how I take it?

Highball glass, neat.

Hey why don't you stop being such a bitch and comment on my posts in the omnibus movie Q&A thread?

FWIW, I think your c# thing was kind of cool -- that's a whole 3 minute tune right there.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I drink good whiskey neat, but I have the cheap stuff on rocks. Takes a bit of the nasty off it.

Well,I'm thinking of fleshing that C#m thing out to 4 minutes of furious strumming and yelling. Might be a bit ambitious. All good punk songs were short and punchy. I'll record it better when i can... the D change is especially hard to hear on that recording i sent. Might upload another one soon too... do you did any electronic music?

Registered
    Jul 2013

"good whiskey" eh, I wouldn't know. maybe add a splash if it's not oirish.

Wha't's wrong with the way it is? Like you said, if it's more than three minutes, what's the point?

No, I have an Ensoniq SQ80 poly, and I know the basics of using envelopes and LFOs and flters, but I only do pianos (acoustic, rhodes, Wurlitzer) and organ (Hammond). Low-tech. Yeah, I can use effects on any of those, including ring mod., and do some stuff with "in the box" like compression and whatever, but basically, I'm a live player, with some tehnical ability for recording and inboard/outboard processing.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Stupid fucking phone. I wanted to ask do you diG any electronic music...

Yes you have convinced me about the 3 minutes. Pack it all in tight hahaha!

Registered
    Jul 2013

oh. well, yeah, i guess some "electronic muisc" is interesting.

but, no, i'm a dinosaur -- i like things I can play with my two hands and feet, so that's what I conecentrate on

hey, we only got one life, so for me, I like to do what i can do.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    What? I'm not "sour" about Chopin, I just could go the rest of my life without hearing his music again.
    OK I lied. Two or three days ago I noticed on my music stand on my "list" of tunes to get into my repertoire, . AFAIK there isn't a published transcription, but it's easy to play UNTIL Booker does it super straight and fast.

But, hey, at least it's in Db, which kind of is easy to do, from geometry of the piano. (not doing a tenth from Db-F in the LH, but maybe octave Db and grabbing an inversion of a Db triad).

Well, so I lied, I guess I still have that one on the chopping block. As to whether I bother getting it down, that's another question. I'm still trying the Precipitato from Prokofiev, the 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody of Liszt, and still struggling with the Gigue from Schoenberg's Op. 25. Honestly, I'm just too lazy and there's too much music I actually *can* play to worry about doing note-perfect renditions.

Sometimes, "close enough" is just plain good enough.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hey. Kind of a good thing. This kind of Georges Perec look-a-like in two of my classes took a long time after I pestered him after non-normal modal logic class (it's a thing, so don't worry about it), to look at some code I'd written for the other low-level assembly class we're both taking.

(i) good news, he agrees with me that my code should have worked, (which it didn't).

(ii) i guess I made a new friend. (he doesn't speak very good english, but his math and logic is very strong, and he is probably about late twenties-mid-thirties, so more in my age range of people I want to talk to.)

Registered
    Mar 2010

I saw a big flock of corellas this morning. They were very noisy and disappeared in a cloud over my head, after mangling a tree.

Registered
    Jul 2013

What the fuck is a corella? Sounds like corvids to me, but knowing you, it's probably some weird Australian bird.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I saw some lady tell the grocery-store guy manning some kind of barbecue thing out front "Hey that man in a blue shirt took one of your ribs!"

Some old fart who happened to be going in the same direction as me -- I'm (a) glad she specified blue shirt, because (b) I was kind of shaky and just trying to get to the liquor store, so wasn't in the best of shape to be confused with a bandit.

Fucking burbs. These people are paranoid! He skulked into some laundromat after putting down the rack of ribs on a trash-can lid. "Sir! Sir! Those aren't for taking!" I did get to do a sympathetic shoulder-shrug at the guy from the shop.

Geez, like a city shop-clerk would have just chased the guy with a broom yelling stuff in a foreign tongue.

And what's the deal with the lady? Does she own the company? Very doubtful. Chill out, lady! Glad she didn't finger me, but at least I shaved today.

Still, pedestrians are unusual out here, so everyone's a suspect, I guess. Morons.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And/or maybe he thought you were trying to alpha him with a bit of one-upmanship. I'm sure you've met dickwad musos who do that.
    That's an excellent observation -- I think that's probably right. He thought I was some punk who was trying to steal some of his thunder. I didn't consider that before.

I will say (my usual commuting route goes right by his condo) that he was NOT pleased that I missed his concert with the guitarist. I see him all the time, coming home or leaving in the morning (he's retired so he's often out on his porch or doing laundry or something). Jeez, man, next time if you want to people to come to your "gig" don't charge 10$ at the door, advertise at least a little, and don't be such a bitch. Play in the street if you want!

Music IS a business, so you got to be a little bit savvy about it!

+ Reply to thread