+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The ominbus when-the-frak-does-it-start-again TV thread

Registered
    Jul 2013

Anyone watching that new one, *The Leftovers*? I might start. Saw a derp thread about that guy who did that *Lost* thing -- I thought that show was pretty cool, and while I thought the whole "it was just a dream" ending was pretty lame, I didn't really care.

Also, *Robot Chicken* is finally back to snuff, after a rocky start in the first ten or dozen episodes this season.

Also, meh, *Californication*, whatever, surprised it lasted as long as it did, but they should have told me it was the last season and then I could have gotten like upset or something or whatever. Eh, both McElhone (MacElhone?) and Duchovny were looking pretty ragged by the end, physically, as was Runks and Pam Adlon.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Just watched the second season of *Drunk History* (forget they made a TV show about it but I did see last season I guess whenever that was).

That host, Derek Wsomething, seems like kind of a dickhole. He's like all serious and mean and shit. And I read an interview just now (since I was curious about how they pick some of the narrators) and they don't even get that drunk and they're constantly sticking the narrator with bullshit like blood alcohol tests.

That said, most of them are pretty funny, still, even though it sounds like it would be a really unfun, clinical thing to be the narrator. I am satisfied with the explanation that, since the narrators are really basically just acting drunk, a few of them are kind of annoying, like the girl who claimed she "drank all the whiskey" and yet was lucid, coherent, boring, ugly, and stupid.

And Jen Kirkman was back -- I probably watched the youtube where she drank some wine and was talking about something history and was (a) funny and (b) fucking hawt as balls. Yes, I watched that one a lot.

In other news, *The League* seems to be back. Unfortunately, one must wait until January until *It's Always Sunny/Philly* returns, but *The League* is OK.

However, the first episode was stupid. Every part of it. That Katie Aselton and the Frankenstein dude didn't even mention their daughter, the Andre dance was stupid, the guy with the hair cut his hair, which exposed more of his dumbass character to the camera, the plot was stupid, but at least they didn't have that Indian freak and that fat dude Rogan, who are horrible and should be cut.

*The Leftovers* is getting kind of stupid, but there is a lot more of Carrie Coon, who I think is very attractive for an old broad, in addition to having an awesome name and a good character on the show. Chris Eccleston is kind of being wasted. And I thought that Justin Theroux was the guy who played the movie producer in *Mulholland Drive* -- that will always confuse me until I look it up right after this. But he's OK, even though the tatoos make his character weird. Scott Glen. Always a nice surprise. And the woman who plays the cops daughter is very good. She really sells that whole teenage whatever thing.

*Robot Chicken* season is over. That was a stupid season. I think they might have got canceled or whatever. Don't know.

ETA HOLY FUCKING SHIT! That IS the same guy in *Mulholland Drive*. Well, that solves that mystery for me. That must have been fun pouring the paint on the jewels and shit. Didn't think it was the same guy, but with a very similar name. Weird.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Sep 2014 at 08:26 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Anyone watching that new one, *The Leftovers*? I might start. Saw a derp thread about that guy who did that *Lost* thing -- I thought that show was pretty cool, and while I thought the whole "it was just a dream" ending was pretty lame, I didn't really care....
    Here's a thread about it over on That Other Board. I watched the first episode and it didn't hook me. Fan feedback on later eps has not exactly been glowing, but it has been renewed for a second season: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=725456

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Here's a thread about it over on That Other Board.
    On reddit, the general interest discussion board? I suppose that's not surprising that there is some nurd chatter somewhere.

Meh, it's a cute little show to kill a few minutes here and there and look at some eye candy. And fans of blockbuster heist movie *Heat*'s [s]Michel Lonsdale[/s] Amy Brenneman. Apparently that Theroux guy is "ripped" -- characters on the show mention it like every other second and he takes his shirt off every ten minutes. Meh, he's not fat, but he's no Jesse Ventura (and his character smokes, has tatoos, and doesn't shave) so "ladies" can have eye candy too.

And Carrie Coon totally has what is the longest nudiest TV boning scene that is also kind of boring. But her character is awesome and she is allowed to have short hair. And the name "Coon" is hilarious.

And *Lost* was funny.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I did finally read this on reddit and it seems to indicate *Leftovers* that was the season finale until season 2.

Didn't know that. Whatever.

Tried to read your link, EH, but it seemed like some children mumbling, instead of the many coherent threads at reddit. I'm sure they have some interesting threads over there, though -- not trying to denigrate.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 12 Sep 2014 at 02:09 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Archer now up to third episode. I thought that show was cancelled! Good to see some more. Haven't seen the third episode yet, but I actually thought the first two were spot-on. And yes, I still will never understand why so-called animators need live models of characters and costumes and stuff. But Cheryl's real-life "model" is a jock-strap-dropper, actually. Good for her!

Also, Always Sunny/Philadelphia back on. Meh. Still killing it, obviously, but given how few things I watch on TV, beats a sharp stick on the eye.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*It's always sunny/philly* is well into the current season. They've really been firing on all cylinders, for my tastes. I know you guys aren't fans, but I really get off on seeing people more moronic than me doing a bunch of crazy shit, and Danny DeVito (sp?) is legitimately hilarious. Kind of depressing seeing the core cast getting older and more wizened, but afaic still funny.

*Archer* is shaping up to be a great season -- lots of in-jokes. I really wish I didn't look at the RL models on that website.

Seriously, why would an animator NEED models? Are the animators incapable of drawing, in the classic style? Are they just doing the equivalent of tracing using their touch-screens? WTF!!!! I find it offensive and an insult to the great tradition of Chuck Jones, Tex Avery, and the rest. Really is offensive to me to enjoy watching a show I am now 100% sure is staffed by idiots incapable of even the basics of their supposed craft.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Wow I bothered to stay up to watch SNL and apparently it's a repeat from a long time ago.

Carlin is doing his classic baseball vs US football thing. Everyone knows that one, but it's good to hear the original, just for fun.

And apparently Billy fucking Preston (one of my keyboard/songwriting heroes) is on here too.

Past my bedtime, but am kind of glad I stayed awake.

Registered
    Jul 2013

holy shit that is some stone cold preston..i love that tune and play it all the time just off the record. stone groove. i never played the solo exactly off the record, but just did my approximatiion as solo/duo/trio and made it sound good.

holy shit Andy Kaufmann too! nice!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, "Nothing from Nothing" is one of the tunes he did that I was talking about. For some reason, his original piano parts just feel really good to play -- and, for a "deep thoughts"-type tune, I like the message.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wow I bothered to stay up to watch SNL and apparently it's a repeat from a long time ago....
    SNL has a big 40th anniversary special on NBC tonight. Check it out.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Thanks but TBH, I'm kind of done with TV. No offense intended, just kind of not my thing anymore.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, I broke down -- I like that Jimmy Fallon kid (he's a pretty good mimic). So apparently I'm going to watch TV again. Wow! Some great musician, sitting around watching TV! Oh well, sometimes life happens!

Registered
    Jul 2013

I got a huge kick out of that last night -- and it was Sunday so I didn't have to feel too ashamed to not be playing a job!

Man, they had about all the classics on there. That was a trip.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks. Haven't watched it yet, but I will.

Registered
    Jul 2013

it's probably stuff you seen before, as have I, but it was a good trip down memory lane

Registered
    Jul 2013

Is *Better Call Saul* worth watching?

I like Odenkirk, from Mr Show and BB and that movie with Bruce Dern, but I have enough shit to waste time on, including random TV shows.

So is it funny as shit or some "serious" drama like *BB*? I got into *BB* and followed it to the end -- mind you, I don't get invested in dramas like a lot of people, just along for the ride for grins and giggles. But I was amused.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Also, did anyone actually WATCH the Oscars? I heard the Birdman won for some stuff, but don't know anything else.

How was Doogie Howser as the host?

Registered
    Sep 2009

I didn't watch more than a few minutes of the Oscars. I thought Doogie did fine, from what little I saw. I guess the ratings were down from last year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

the ratings were down from last year.
    Well, the vig starts.

Shit, I had money on that.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK I saw the first episode of Better Call Saul --

it seems like they don't know if it's a sitcom a la *On The Air* or some deep dramatic shit with a bunch of characters and gangster shit.

Anyone want to bet bitcoin if it lasts more than a season? (i'd bet the first season is already in the can and they're going to run their episodes no matter what).

Also, shit, Odenkirk looks OLD. Fuck if I know if that's makeup or whatever, but that's kind of depressing, given that yesterday I noticed in the mirror un front ride' (wrinkled forehead).

In other news, I should start playing Bob Wills's "time changes everything" more often, when I get a chance to be at my place near my keyboards. With Tommy....forgot his last name...anyway, the one who sang that.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 27 Feb 2015 at 06:16 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I was psyched when *Archer* started back up, but two things:

(i) this stupid baby bullshit isn't funny. no one wants to watch Lana with her gorilla-hands be a central-casting "protective mother"
    (ii) I was very disappointed to learn that the crew of *Archer* doesn't know how to draw, and instead uses pictures of RL models.

OTOH there are some very nice callbacks to earlier lines.

ALSO AM PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSED off that (i)robot chicken (ii) bates motel (iii) the league aren't back in play. I will roundhouse kick them in the face.

OTOH meh, *It's Always/Philly* is, meh, whatever. More Devito time, which is good. And *Better Call Saul*'s lady lawyer, whatever her name is, gives me a boner, so happy about that. Wexler, something....Kim....yeah, that's probably it. Whatever, the blonde lady lawyer.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Was that JPolito who was the "some fat guy" in *Better Call Saul*?

That sequence was one of the more amusing things I've seen on TV in a long time.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Louis CK on SNL. Sort of amusing -- I had to stop watching his show because family-friendly comedy starts to be annoying. Are people actually upset by his extremely tame monologue on some late-night show? Weird. Yeah, he's a funny enough guy, I guess.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right, get your heads straight, you mongos.

It has come to my attention that there's a new-ish show co-starring Melanie Lynskey called *Togetherness*, on American cable.

My boner is about a lot at attention, and I'm frustrated I didn't hear about it as soon as the show aired.

I'm really, really pissed off now -- you guys are fucking half-wit mongoloids for not having told me about this.

Fuck all of you.

Fine, here's the backstory -- I am in love with Melanie Lynskey, she's my age, and she seems awesome. Pretty sure the feeling is not reciprocated, but whatever. Also I wear earplugs regularly and have terrible hearing, so she's exactly good for me. I also think she's adorable, although with extremely questionable taste in men. I never have crushes on celebrities, so this is awesome to have my first. I will watch her show!
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 25 May 2015 at 08:47 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

With Tommy....forgot his last name...anyway, the one who sang that.
    Tommy Duncan. Just remembered that.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Also I wear earplugs regularly and have terrible hearing, so she's exactly good for me. I also think she's adorable, although with extremely questionable taste in men.
    That didn't come off exactly as I intended. Regrettable. However, the idea is preserved.

I don't think I'll be able to see *Togtherness* until when it comes out on disc.

What's worse is that I don't have my copies of *Drive* -- I think they only aired a few episodes, but I used to have on disc about ten episodes. That was a fun show, with an ensemble cast and a cool little idea.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 May 2015 at 02:06 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

So, I'm slowly starting to piece together how TV works. I guess Fall/Autumn/whatever is when a lot of TV shows start up. And then some others after the new year.

OK, I lied, I really don't understand how they do TV.

But I do know that I'm liking *Rick and Morty* as a stop-gap -- yesterday's episode about made me jizz all over myself. New title sequence (or whatever the technical term is) and a buttfucking hilarious episode. Exact moment of jizzitude: when Sarah Chalked first appeared as the
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    xenomorph
    . Well, the first half was total jizzitude, then it kind of petered out when they started tying together all the loose ends. Fucking Jerry has new meaning. Adjective, verb, it doesn't matter.

So, what's up now anyway? I forgot about *Togetherness*, supra -- have to check that out. I want more *Robot Chicken* and more *Bates Motel* and more *The Leftovers*.

I still can't get over that .....Justin (?) Theroux is the same guy as in *Mulholland Drive*.

I'm done with *Mad Men* and I think that's finished anyway. *Californication* is long over.

Meh, even though that...Lucy Liu...is in it, I guess I should catch up on multiple seasons of *Elementary*. It sucks, but Jonny Miiller is funny.

What else is new that isn't a reality show, and isn't lame, and isn't some sci-fi/fantasy/werewolf/zombie "drama"?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, the recent Rick and Morty alien marriage-counseling episode was hilarious.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, the recent Rick and Morty alien marriage-counseling episode was hilarious.
    Yeah, well don't break your hand jerking yourself off about it.

Season One callback, bitches!

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, for future reference for future me:

Robot Chicken Season 8 25-oct-2015
    The Leftovers 11-oct-2015
    Bates Motel "early 2016" or something

Is *American Dad* still going? For some reason, I stopped watching *Family Guy* -- I can't stand Seth Macdickintheface. But *AD* is pretty funny -- they got off to a slow start, but Roger the alien has some pretty funny lines.

Stopped bothering about *Bob's Burgers* -- I'm just sick of all the cute family crap.

I want it hard and fast. Like a chicken likes its stuffing.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Tonight 9-15: Neil Patrick Harris has a new live variety show, I will give it a shot.
    9-19: Doctor Who is back
    9-22-2015: The Muppets premier.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Doogie Howser is pretty funny -- sounds like fun.

To all concerned, *Togetherness* is dire. It has that douchebag from *The League* in it, and it opens with extreme closeups of Melanie Lynskey's literal T&A.

Couldn't make it through the first episode. Something about that dude mugging while staring directly at the camera is extremely off-putting to me. Maybe it induced a flashback to the movie *Creep*, or something.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well the NPH show was crappy. Won't be giving it a second try I suspect.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Season 7 of *The League* started....a long time ago, it looks like. Forgot to put that on my list for future self.

For future self: *It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia* starts January 2016.

In the meantime, the web-comic "Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal" is my Halloween satan-worshipping gift to you. It's like xkcd, for non-idiots who can read.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Muppets is not very good sad to say.

Thanks for the Web Comic: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php I am ripping through it.

My daughter suggested The Flash & iZombie. I like the Flash and don't really like iZombie. So the Flash is recording on DVR.

Librarians are back tomorrow. I liked this show season, hope it holds up for season 2.

Registered
    Jul 2013

The new season of *The Leftovers* -- at least the first episode -- was dismal, dark, unpleasant, and full of a bunch of people I had no idea who they were.

HOWEVER, *The League* is awesome this season! Even if you never liked the show before, they dug deep for at least the first few episodes.

First new *Robot Chicken* -- eh, it was OK. I hope they keep Seth MacFarlane occupied oiling up in a gas station bathroom -- lack of his annoying "voices" was about the only memorable thing about this one. It's not his show, dammit! Keep his degenerate filthy mitts off it. And his fat-ass sister, too. The singing parts suck balls.

ETA oh yeah, that's fine about the SMBC -- I guess it isn't as funny as Fireman Comics!, but it's still better than anything that flaming, nerd-revenge-fantasy-having, neutered, low-T, sackless piece of crap Randall can hack out at XKCD.

Thanks for the Flash and iZombie tips -- I don't think either of those are for me, but I like to know what's going on.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 31 Oct 2015 at 04:33 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Keep his degenerate filthy mitts off it. And his fat-ass sister, too. The singing parts suck balls.
    I'd like to take that back. It's a shame Rachael M. is tainted by having a stain for a brother, but IRL she seems pretty cool, and *American Dad* can be amusing.

Sorry, Rachael. And you're not that fat -- it's just that the rich tapestry of life passes me by.

Oh.

So, yeah, *Librarians* -- keep an eye out for ye olde Portland's Washington Park amphitheater. It was part of my daily walk through where they were shooting I think in August. Bunch of Hollywood asswipe fuckers, took the whole tourist season part over, and had some stupid sign up by the archery range saying "Ex Libris Crew Parking" with an arrow on it, which is stupid and not clever, and I didn't get to see Jon Lithgow and impress him with my "monkey boy" impersonation. ETA oh, apparently Lithgow wasn't a part of the cast -- I could have sworn I saw his name on one of those fancy canvas chairs with the names on them. Well, somebody else then.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 31 Oct 2015 at 11:41 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

John Larroquette most likely. Famous for Night Court and Stripes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Don't forget later episodes of Boston Legal! I don't know how to heckle Larroquette -- maybe say "nice hair, buddy!"

Registered
    Jul 2013

*Togetherness* isn't that bad. Melanie Lynskey sure did age hard, though. And that guy with the combover is extremely irritating to look at. But the rest of the cast is OK. I never had that problem with *Californication* -- you didn't see Duchovny mugging at the camera and he had a proper haircut. MacElhone aged better. And the supporting cast was better, but commensurable.

Gave up halfway through episode 1 of season 2 of *The Leftovers*. I won't be coming back to that one.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I gave Better off Ted another shot, I ended up watching all 26 episodes in the last 2 weeks off Netflix. It is not great but it is non-standard, quirky and entertaining at least. They probably made the right choice though in not giving it more time on the air.

I am waiting for The Man in High Castle to release on Netflix. I read the Philip K Dick book ages ago when I was 18 or 19 and recall liking it. It is one of the earliest Alt History book I know of and one of the better ones as I recall.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 06 Nov 2015 at 05:59 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, the trailer for The Man in the High Castle looks pretty good. I'm a sucker for alt-hist of all varieties.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I gave Better off Ted another shot, I ended up watching all 26 episodes in the last 2 weeks off Netflix. It is not great but it is non-standard, quirky and entertaining at least. They probably made the right choice though in not giving it more time on the air.
    Had to do a double-take. Apparently you ARE talking about that show from a few years ago -- I really liked the blonde lady in that. Well, I thought it was a fun show, with some nice, thick, blonde women in it. That was a long time ago, I lived in a different place, and didn't throw my TV in the dumpster then.

*The Man in High Castle* sounds good -- well, it sounds like plumage and swords and stuff, so that's close enough. Highlander returns!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Has anyone stuck it out with *Man in High Castle*? I've watched a bit of the first two episodes, and might watch the series, but, TBH, it seemed kind of .... I don't know, gimmicky to me, like I've seen it before.

Could be good, though.

*Robot Chicken* -- either the second or third episode was great. Whichever was the one with the sketch where the father did this elaborate scheme to humiliate his wife and daughter by hiring the manager of one of those "buy a doll that looks like me" stores to bring out a dead whale and say, "just stuff it full of Lunchables and it'll be perfect." Can I describe it better? Sure, but that would take more effort, and anyway, you had to be there.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I watched the first 3 episodes of The Man in the High Castle and I love it so far. Best show I've seen in a long time. I don't feel like I've seen but I have read it before as I read the book in 1991.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends* is one of the most upsetting TV shows I've seen.

Your brain will melt if you sit down and try to watch them, one after the other.

ETA to put this in perspective -- recent things I did Saturday. Reread some of Freud's case history "the rat man," before going to sleep, after promising in person to loan it to my mother on Tuesday. Watched some *Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends* (the first several episodes) Sunday.

Jay Ward's work was much more unsettling -- I remember the Rat Man, and he was cool and all, but I had no idea just how far Rocky and Bullwinkle went. They and their friends were capable of anything -- from the most vile, desspicable thoughts to the kindest actions.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 Dec 2015 at 10:29 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I didn't know *South Park* was still on the air. This current season upset me very much. They stole everything from me. Hating Japanese politics and culture, weenies, anti-cyber-bullying, technology, Whole Foods.

Right down to fucking people in the ass to death, which I stole from Johnny Depp in the first place.

Those hillbilly assholes. Fucking pricks. Screw them, and screw their dumb ass fucking cartoon. ETA Here you go, you fucking turds from Colorado. They had me at kill all the Batman people, but lost me at "meh, mewl, pule, we don't like Yik Yak!"
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 18 Dec 2015 at 07:18 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Apparently *The Blacklist* is a show. I don't know if it gets better after the first seven episodes, but I hope it does -- everyone likes Jimmy Spader.

The "keystone cops" routine is really pretty irritating, even by Hollywood standards, and it was a great disappointment that "profiler" star who somehow packs heat and is first on every crime scene giving orders didn't shoot her lactating millenial hipster douche little man in the face, or have someone else do it.

Could make a good drinking game -- drink every time some FBI/whatever person says or does something not reasonable, and don't drink every time James Spader gets to say something cool.

Registered
    Jul 2013

NEW SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA!!!!!!!!!!!! CHARDEE MACDENNIS II!!!!!!!! VIOLENT RAGE EXPLODES!!!!!!

==============

Yeah, I figured out *The Blacklist* -- it's just that the first dozen or so episodes suck, is all. It gets better. I still don't know why they didn't have a native English-speaker proofread the dialogue.

But the whole thing is also a satire of the New Millenials' ethos. You know, feelings, anti-bigotry, inclusive, smarmy, puling, lactating all over the place. In addition to being a Jimmy Spader vehicle, which is good as well.

Still not sure if anyone wins if they try my drinking game version.

+ Reply to thread