+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: The ominbus when-the-frak-does-it-start-again TV thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

You channel the famous French, er, Belgian detective quite well, O Jizz!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, monsieur, that is correct and I am thanking you for the correction. I have pretended on some time to be a Swiss, and yet it was a ruse. Of course Poirot is not a Frenchman, no more than he is a Chinese.

Poirot does not make himself involved with the intrigues of politics, it is that Poirot only requires that the size of the houses of governments in subject be of the correct size, and disposition, for the peoples which they govern.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 21 Dec 2017 at 01:09 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

But of course.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Those interested might be interested in Rifftrax's commentary track to Westworld (TV show, not movie), first episode.

It's actually better to watch now that you know what happens: instead of some stupid mystery crap, you can just look at the little people trying to pretend to act, as though they were little humans. Ed Harris and that fat English fancy-lad excepted, of course, they're actual adult actors.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Marvel: Daredevil" I was skeptical, but seeing the first episode, I think it's kind of cute.

However, after having given "Star Trek: New Voyages" a second chance. Sorry, bub. That is just...no.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, everyone knows Archer started back up -- I only found out by glimpsing a promo at my after-work one-MAYBE-two beer and a rack of 14.1 pool against myself place on TV and asking the other people "Is it on again???!!!"

Not much to add, although I think WareGirl might be impressed that I have the exact shirt Archer is wearing in the premiere and will be wearing it. I don't know, just a blue LL Bean long sleeve cotton shirt with buttons to hold up the sleeves, in medium-blue color. Pretty damned close.

I'm liking Krieger being demoted to Macaw -- he was my least favorite character.

And Ray as Louis Renault (sp?) parody is very amusing.

OMG WHY CAN IT TALK????????????????

Both whatserface and whatsisface do extremely good French accents, and the French sounds impeccable too -- I wonder if they practiced like mofos or that was just one of their skills.

I approve.

Episode on a whole? Meh, sure, it'll be a slow burn, but I'm not bothering with a lot of TV, so it's worth it to me.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OBSERVATION ARCHERO

Geez, on episode 04.

So, they do earlier ze French extremely well,both in accent and in language.

However, merely having German as third language.

That is the fucking worst German I have ever heard.

And I hate the Germans!

That is terrible/

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, Better Call Saul is in full power ahead for a few weeks.

Yeah, that's one of those you really need to watch from the beginning to get the whole deal.

Well, I'm amused anyway. Like a monkey using a tire swing at the zoo.

That's all the TV I feel I want to watch these days.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I saw the first, and then the last two, episodes of Archer's most recent season (Danger Island). My DVR missed the other episodes, unfortunately. What I saw was OK but not great.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I think I saw all the current Archer, except the last one or maybe two (kind of forgot about it toward the end of the season).

It's getting kind of tiresome for each season to be some new gimmick.

Not that there aren't good opportunities for the voice actors to do some fun stuff in every season I've seen.

Like, how many Bond movies have there been, right? Just straight spy stuff seems to have worked out for Cubby Broccoli and Eon entertainment, or whatever.

Well, whatever, as long as they're having fun and keeping the lights on, I wish them well.

Maybe they're just hungry for Hummels.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, the third episode of Better Call Saul had some very revelatory dialogue between Mr. Manager (Gus Fring) and über-dork Gail (Gael?).

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but that scene reminded me of just how much I loathe (i) nerds and (ii) Tom Lehrer (rhythmically inept prosody, and also nerd stuff). He's no Victor Borge. Well, Gail (Gäel? — I played in a band with somebody named Gael, but he was French, and not a total geek, although a shitty guitar player) at least is an inoffensive, neutral kind of nerd.

Therefore, I shall allow his character to live.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sorry, Archer, I guess Burt Reynolds isn't going to be coming around no more.

Goddamned freak with more hair on his chest than me and a bigger dick.

I mean, sorry you're gone! I'll do...think about...rosary....something.

Goddamned macho....

Love you! Bye!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Can't say I was much of a Burt Reynolds fan, but he did some good work, including Deliverance, Sharky's Machine and, yes, his Archer appearance.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right, I have to be the first one to remind myself of NEW ARCHER IN SPACE!!!!

Yeah, I finished in my pants before three minutes.

Again.

Yes, Mother. I have the clothespin ready. Yes, Mother. The side with the splintered rough-shod finish is facing inward this time.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, did anyone but me notice that Charlene or whatever's cameltoe was drenched in fluid as the space-abomination was set free in the ship, first episode?

Shit.

Literally.

Sploosh.

You go, girl.

ETA and, no, you fucking Krauts, she didn't shit her pants, that was totally moisture from the front crotch. srsly.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Jun 2019 at 02:16 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I didn't notice that! I did see several homages to Alien, Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars, though. And having Babou the Ocelot's face on the crew patch is sheer genius. LOL.

Registered
    Jul 2013

It is all true.

I never got the Battlestar Galactica thing — pretty sure that's what they're going for in the title sequence. You know, with the Faceman from the A-Team. And then that remake with the sexy lady robots that everyone creamed themselves about.

But, yes, in the second episode it became clear that it was not only a spoof on the first two Alien movies, but I'm guessing Carol's (apparently that's her name in this season, for now) haircut is supposed to be Wynona Ryder's from one of the later Alien movies.

A couple of good Predator references.

The horror that is Buzz Beak or whatever that is called was defused by its infestation by Mother's "presence."

And, now thanks to this show I may never wear earlugs again, thanks to SOMEONE pointing out that green fucking slime mold of an alien has the shape of not only an earplug but also a buttplug.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just not something I considered before. And, yes, I am very displeased at having that thought be implanted into my brain.

Yeah, I'd say they're bring their A-game on this season.

Indeed, I wouldn't have noticed the ocelot on the "space badge," but that sure looks like a jungle cat, and there can be only one.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's Babou! And he thinks he's people!

Registered
    Jul 2013

It's true.

But he's always getting sick and the vet visits are tiresome.

I'm pretty sure Sterling has jungle(cat)-fever though.

And I'm not sure that Pam and her raging, but malodorous, she-boners isn't in part to blame for facilitating the darkest aspect of cross-species gratification.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hmm.

Apparently this has been on for years.

Black Mirror.

I've only seen the first episode yet, but even though the photography and lighting and acting was horrid, I found it somewhat amusing.

Who doesn't like fucking pigs?

Limey prudes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hmm.

Black Mirror.

I've only seen the first episode yet, but even though the photography and lighting and acting was horrid, I found it somewhat amusing.

Limey prudes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hmm.

Black Mirror.

Limey prudes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You can say that again. And then again.

Never saw Black Mirror, although I've been told it's pretty good.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Eh, I've seen a few at this point. It's kind of a low-rent Twilight Zone...maybe like Night Gallery or something.

I would just skip it, unless you happen to be super-bored.

Oh, speaking of TV, before work I was chatting with a couple coworkers and saying how "You know, I should really not drunk-text my romantic interest." They were each appalled, as though their consciences are lily-white.

My excuse was, "hey, I don't have a TV, sitting around drinking whiskey, what the hell else am I going to do?"

Unanimous advice: "John, go out and get a fucking TV, you ass."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Gets my vote!

Registered
    Jul 2013

I was watching that David Suchet Poirot episode again, something like *The Mystery of the Blue Train" I think it's called.

Anyway, Elliot (Eliot?) Gould's (adult!) daughter in the episode was played by a woman who appealed to my prurience, so I looked her up on wikipedia or imdb or one of those and found that she played this character in that TV show *Dexter*.

I was like, "Oh, yeah, I used to like that show, let me try to find season two and see if she's spankworthy."

Haven't got to her entry in the season, but man is the overdubbed internal monologue and dialogue extremely precious. It's really not that watchable, as a TV show, although I liked it well enough when it was current to watch it through to the end of the series.

HOWEVER, yes, I did find a TV, by luck, that my sister was going to toss. Has a built-in DVD player, so that's probably my one use for it.

But, really. Can I be expected to find a place to put it, a spare outlet (yes, you'd rightly imagine that I have some very cobbled-together bunches of circuit extenders at every accessible outlet (ETA, and, no, I'm not daisy-chaining multiple consumer-grade circuit breakers, unless I unplug each with a distance of more than one after each use). The pianos and keyboards alone take up every available outlet in that section of the front room, and the stereo is similarly encumbered. (No, I don't use rack equipment with power conditioners or anything, even for music performing — although, that would be a good piece of equipment, just like a Furman all-in-one power conditioner or just a really big prosumer circuit breaker/portable outlet extenders....yes, the internal wiring's a mess in the walls, I'm guessing, but IME, I can count on the actual circuit breakers in the panel to activate when overloaded).

I assume the TV has a built in DTV receiver. Otherwise, forget it, it's not worth fiddling with yet another mass of cables for something I don't even want to watch.

Although, I did find out there's some normal DTV broadcast station called "Grit" that specializes in showing B&W, mainly, episodes of old westerns from the 1950s and 1960s.

No. I can't be watching TV commercials and just sitting around like a lump: that's what I have the computer for. And there's no way I'd pay for cable service: that seems ridiculous to me when I already have a phone.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 Sep 2019 at 01:42 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Can someone please explain to me what in the motherfucking shit is? The video is a SFW low-fi animation of Rick Sanchez and Morty Whatisface dropping a flask of "acid" on the floor.

It was a cute little very brief bit of animation.

No idea if it came from the booze-addled brains of the creators of Rick & Morty, but I will say it wins...................well, I don't know. Something, I guess.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ah, fucking Christ shit.

Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Yeah, they're still going into year fourteen, but this week they do some stupid pastiche of a Spillane thing.

Yeah, I mean, fine, whatever. Makes we want to turn it off and watch Kiss Me Deadly or The Big Sleep or many others.

Shit Christ, fuck, I shit you not, I have tried to watch this twenty minute show for the third time now, this episode, and I still can't last it.

Very tedious.

I don't want any plot with this stupid TV shit! I still watch Archer, after all, but the main feature is watching morons do stupid shit.

What are you fucking industrial arthouse magicians with the slight of hand?

It's a fucking dumbass TV show, you nitwits.

So less with the character, none with the plot, more with the funny.

Assholes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's my final verdict on Black Mirror, having seen by now a few episodes rather than a mere few episodes.

No.

It's like listening attentively by some obligation to the idiot ideas your stoned college-freshman nephew came up with.

I'm not having any of it, and I can't really understand people who do.

But, that's fine. "White Bear," really? I mean, come on.

Instead of a slick, brightly lit rom-com with very adequate actors, this kind of thing, the whole show, should have had the feeling of coming out of some person's basement apartment, where he or she cut the film shot on sixteen-millimeter. Not this glossy, "Oh, well, let the games begin, shall we? You will marvel out how adept our little show seems!"

Too much budget spent on visuals. If it was some aggro punk kind of go-back to a time, it would have come off better, even for telling more condensed tales, and more of them.

Thumbs down.

////////////////

Rick and Morty. Of course.

Yeah, they're getting the hang of this TV show thing.

I love how the one continuity of this story seems to be "Jessica," like a permanent imago seared into the souls of millions of Mortys. I mean, you can count on Summer to be mostly a bitchy teen, and Beth to be a depressive mom-cow, and so forth.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hmmm.

I don't think this counts as a SPOILER ALERT, but let's just say that jumping on the circumferential rim of a trash can might sever an enemies head.

Actually, that sounds improbable.

But, it's a good idea, anyway.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ah, TVLand is pretty good.

I've almost watched the first three seasons of The High Chaparral (srsly, WTF happened to Cameron Mitchell? He was fantastic as Buck Cannon! I guess he had bills to pay afterwards). And I'll look forward to the fourth season, although not quite as many episodes as season two and three.

Archer's back, and badder than ever. AFAIK they're not just dumping an entire season out at once, so it gives me something to look forward to on Wednesdays.

Football's back, although I still don't know much about the game and it's just the tip (of the season), but it will amuse me that others I talk to will get all riled up. Go Saints!

Registered
    Jul 2013

I feel very proud that not only did I understand the reference to Bolzano in the most recent episode of Archer, but somehow oddly ashamed that not two days before watching the episode I was dredging the recesses of my memory to remember his first name. I think I settled on "Franz," thinking it was a coincidence that it was also the prename of Brentano, so I just thought of him as Fritz Bolzano, as a nickname.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I'm sure those interested know that Rick and Morty has started back up.

I'll spoiler my very few thoughts on the episode.

Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    I'm getting slightly tired of little Morty getting cock-blocked all the time with his would-be gal, Jessica.

This was the farthest I think I've seen them take it, and even I was getting blue balls.

On the other hand, as Morty points out, since he hasn't had a full week of school for over a year, he "doesn't know shit," so it's not surprising that in this case, at least, his own ineptness is the cause of not at the minimum getting up in those sweater puppets of Jessica's. Can't really blame Rick for that one.

Summer had a pretty funny line, when she suits up to go grab Nimbus's conch shell or whatever. "It's time to go lick some pussy!" is I think what it was, with "pussy" being bleeped but (to me anyway), pretty obvious. And the rest of the family's reaction to her.

I don't know what was going on with the Beth and ...whatsisnames ... threesome with the Ziggy Stardust-styled Mr. Nimbus. Kind of tiresome, but whatever.

+ Reply to thread