+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The ominbus when-the-frak-does-it-start-again TV thread

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not watching much right now other than The Big Bang Theory, PBS documentaries and the new season of Downton Abbey.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I think I've seen something I truly am surprised is on TV. A little sketch from the last Robot Chicken (episode 10 of season 8).

A google of "robot chicken youtube vagina game show" yields no clip yet, but, man, that was almost surprising. The water slide. Knowing it was formed from clay, in lifelike detail. The button. The water slide.

That's some fucked up shit.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sorry to say (to myself, er, I mean "future self," yeah that's the ticket) that it appears *It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia* has jumped the shark. Tame, tepid, weak bullshit. I'll let some nerd speculate about whatever reasons or whatever.

HOWEVER, in my compulsive frenzy to stay on top of things, I did find out that *Schitt's Creek* is really fucking funny. I've only seen season 2 (the current one, not yet through), but that was a good get. Eugene Levy does an excellent Eugene Levy impersonation, Catherine O'Hara is hilarious, the son is hilarious, Chris Eliot is subdued and funny, and the DAUGHTER, character name "Alexis" is hysterical, and yet she has no wikipedia page. I don't know where they found her, but she's very funny.

I've heard great things about the Apocalypse one, but after looking up and retrieving the episodes, after about twenty seconds of playing the first episode while shaving this morning, it doesn't look like it's for me. The bit about Rob Lowe being a sleazy guy seems like a really adventurous bit of casting, though. I'm sure it's great.

NEED NEWS WHEN BATES MOTEL RICK AND MORTY AGAIN

Registered
    Jul 2013

Second episode of Bates Motel aired this past week. They are really getting into it now. It's turning out to be better than most of the sequels to *Psycho*.

I'm thinking it might have been the last season of *It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia* -- that last season was just a pile of lame dogshit, though. Kind of lame to go out like that. Even *Californication* went out on a high note, sort of, by television standards.

Episode ten of the current season of Schitt's Creek killed it. Can't remember what exactly what in particular, but they've really hit their stride. I still haven't seen the first season, but from the first few episodes of season 1, it's still funny, just finding its legs. Season Two, however, they've got it.

NEED MORE ARCHER AND RICK AND MORTY!!!!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Archer resumes March 31!: http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/archer/episodes

No word yet on when Rick and Morty will be back for sure with new episodes, but probably late this year: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/rick-an...pisodes-516455

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Word for Donald Byrd!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, to great acclaim -- at least on FB -- *Archer* started again last week sometime.

I'm not sure what to think -- on the one hand, the
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    PI
    angle is good. OTOH, they were kind of laying it on kind of thick with the references. OTOOH, I hope they do more "inside" stuff with the refeences. It was pretty tame.

I didn't laugh very much, but then again, I don't think of it is a "laugh riot" to begin with. It's more like a sitcom, I guess. Of the sort where people tune in every week, to see what happens to "the gang."

I did not know Cyril
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    was a doctor of law
    . Shrugs. Meh, that rings a bell, sort of, I just didn't remember.

California is dicks!

Lance Strongarm!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Archer Season 7 Episode 3: kind of funny. Valerie Archer is a bitch because she has a vagina, and Cyril has transvestite nerd revenge fantasies.

Elementary Season 3: OK, I remember this show. It's like that guy Parsons from the Big Bang show, but doing stuff. Lucy Liu is horrible. Her favorite expression is: "Excuse me?" She is a total bitch, but she gets points for being almost geriatric and still doing low-grade detective exploitation stuff on TV.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Lucy Liu used to be really pretty, she has never been able to act, but she could do stunts at least so she had that going for her too. Actually I find Elementary to be a terrible show especially with the BBC Sherlock around at the same time for direct comparison.

Can't seem to get into Archer at all, not sure why.

I've been Binge watching Fringe. It is pretty good, especially for a show I was even aware was on and around.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is back for season 2. It is funny but awkward show. Carol Kane shines in it but the addition of Amy Sedaris is not a positive. Ellie Kemper is solid in the lead role.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is back for season 2. It is funny but awkward show. Carol Kane shines in it but the addition of Amy Sedaris is not a positive. Ellie Kemper is solid in the lead role.
    Holy shit. Carol Kane from *The Last Detail*, must be. That could be good to check out. What is she, like eighty?

I'm pretty sure the main guy from *Fringe* is Sherlock's father, Morlock or whatever.

Meh, *Archer* is a sitcom at this point. Must be watched from beginning for it to make sense.

Yes, *Elementary* isn't Masterpiece Theater, but I think is (a) > *Sherlock* and (b) anyway, Sherlock is just a ripoff of Poe's Auguste Dupin anyway, and it's all pretty stupid anyway.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Surprisingly Carol Kane is only 63. She has been around forever but I guess she started young.

The Father from Fringe is Denethor from the Lord of the Rings movies. But yes John Noble is also from Elementary and apparently Sleepy Hollow.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I saw a season or whatever of *Fringe* back in the TV days -- remembering back, it was a pretty cute show. I think it was Fox TV, or something. Whatever it was, I don't remember hating the dialogue.

And, yet, I'm still watching *Bates Motel*. Some kind of twisted desire to see how low programming can get, I guess. Awful, and despicable. Even the kid, that Highmore kid, has turned into a horrible actor. Whatever.

I'm sure some hipsters have figured out a funny drinking game based on that show, but I'm pretty sure it's not very clever.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Lucy Liu used to be really pretty, she has never been able to act, but she could do stunts at least so she had that going for her too.
    No, but yeah, but who cares. In that order.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right I need some advice on TV matters. Speaking of BBC.

I've recently (as in an hour ago) acquired a copy of the BBC telenovela of *Daniel Deronda*. As faithful listeners will know, it's pretty rare for me to like something, much less a novel, and still more a novel by an English"man," and even still less by a protohipsterneovictoriansteampuke...never mind. Well, whatever it is, I think the novel *Daniel Deronda* is one of the very few good novels.

So should I watch this, or is it going to precipitate me going apeshit on an inanimate object?

FWIW one of the other good novels, *Nostromo*, had a pretty good BBC miniseries.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sherlock S0302. "That was laughing? Sounded like someone torturing an owl. --she was laughing. --Could have been both."

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Love it. With laser-like concentration, one could imagine that Milana Vayntrub, Melanie Lynskey, and some shorts from the Rubbermaid hamper had a baby named Ellie Kemper, multiple times, on ..... everywhere. But, that said, my true love is the black man whose appearance you shouldn't summon in vain.

And that is why, boys and girls, and whatevers, you should not watch 13 episodes of one show at once. Because of the smell. Smells. Am I spelling that right?

Funny in spite of Tina Fey's best efforts to be preachy and idiotic. I'm pretty sure Tina Fey has never written a funny line in her life, but her ideas are pretty good, I guess. If only her fugly ass wasn't plastered all over everything, I'd be all for it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Surprisingly Carol Kane is only 63. She has been around forever but I guess she started young.
    I know you love Randy Quaid but what am I infinity.

ETA and, yes, I got about thirty seconds into the BBC *Deronda*. Q: who is this made for? George Costanza? I don't have to see more: it makes me want to puke, and that was only after the opening credits.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 28 Apr 2016 at 11:00 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*Archer* is not off to a great start, sorry to see.

*Bates Motel* somehow rallied a little bit.

Someone told me there's some show............re.............Trucker..........Tr ailer Park Boys that's funny, but I don't know if that's the best use of my time. I mean, I have nerd revenge fantasies and vile insults to create. Serious business.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've only seen the first two episodes of this season's Archer, but liked 'em. I have at least three others waiting for me on our DVR.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Finished this season of Archer - where they're all working for the Figgis private investigations firm in Hollywood - and was underwhelmed. Some laughs but not nearly as many as in the show's early years.

On the other hand, HBO's Westworld series is great. Excellent cast, a slow-burn plot, high production values, and some very interesting things to say about AI, humanity, morality and depravity.

Registered
    Jul 2013

On the other hand, HBO's Westworld series is great. Excellent cast, a slow-burn plot, high production values, and some very interesting things to say about AI, humanity, morality and depravity.
    I'm guessing that's what you'd call a "good tip"? Heard about it, but your word counts for something, so I'll check it out.

I'm with you about the last *Archer* -- meh, I feel that way about the last *Always Sunny in Philadelphia* and *Robot Chicken*.

Am looking forward to seeing *The Guild* (it was a one-off web-series) and *The Guns of Will Sonnett*, for some reason. I'm sure there's some seasons of *Ironside* I haven't seen, too.

The season opener of *Elementary* had WAY too much of that.......insert expletive............Lucy Liu in it. Gawd. Ugly and can't act. Great idea for a show. Aidan Quinn is ugly and can't act either, but at least I don't have to look at him very much. Johnny Lee Miller isn't what I'd call a "pretty" boy, but at least he's got a good character.

Speaking of retard cartoons, *South Park* is stupid. Don't bother.

I'm just waiting on good old Rick and Morty.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, *Rick and Morty* and *Archer* are on. No comment on the *Rick and Morty* yet -- they'll get there, I'm sure. *Archer* -- yeah, pretty fun little idea. I am personally most pleased with the Tunt's development -- her character was a little played out for me, so she gets another .... what do they call it, like a remake or whatever, plus some of the funnier lines. Well, that's what I said.

I'm liking Malory staying behind the curtains a little bit -- she's been a little overexposed, like seeing Donald Pleasance in full daylight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Default TV omnibus

Aftr second time there was a mistake about something that doesn't concern me, for already existing TV thread here. Not my battle.

I reproduce

Sorry to report back negatively on the new MST3K. What a strange idea, to dump all of the episodes at once on Netflix, but it's not the first -- just reminds me it's an odd phenomenon.

I've only seen one episode, #5. Unlikely to watch more -- I'm a big fan of the original series, especially after the Josh left in the first nationwide season. I'd rather just watch for the umpteenth time one of the older episodes. I don't care for the new host -- just sort of a bland fashion-oriented without personality I can see except he likes fancy glasses and haircuts. It's remarkable how much presence and poise Felicia Day seems to have developed. Good for her -- I enjoyed *The Guild*, and maybe she's become a real actress. Her autobiographical book is somewhat amusing as well, I suppose -- sort of an interesting young life, I guess. She's apparently a competent violin picker with an interest in the 20th C concert violin repertoire, and she's pretty cute, so I admit I'd like to screw her like a rented mule and then get her to explain some points about the string repertoire. She supposedly has training in mathematics, but doesn't appear to have much of a research interest there -- could be interesting to hear her opinions on various topics. And then screw some more, just like a Chinaman.

I'm indifferent to Patton Oswalt, and am still not sure if he's supposed to be a comedian or just a third-tier character actor in real life. I don't find him funny, but maybe he's not supposed to be. At any rate, it doesn't matter to me, so good for him.

Oh, Servo and Crow aren't amusing -- I don't find any personalities. Together with the host just a steady, bland commentary notably unfunny,

Also the movies are all in color, seems. Strange choice -- those are invariably my least favorite riffed movies. Too distracting to keep the inferior color photography in the brain, in general, but there were some exceptions in the One True Series (under Joel and Mike both -- Mike got better movies, in general, but I'm sure that's just the way it worked out under the thumb of Jim Mallon, who by some accounts seems like a difficult, unpleasant feeb).

And the riff jokes themselves aren't recognizable as jokes -- just a running commentary, absent anything resembling humor. Yep, I didn't hear a single joke in the commentary -- I feel like I'd enjoy watching some shitty color movie more by repeatedly hitting myself about the face and neck with a hammer and saying random words from a small dictionary.

Absolutely not worth the small effort. If I wanted to imagine a metrosexual idiot saying random things, I'd just ride a city bus and observe some non-traditional person trapped in deviant contemporary culture that has replaced traditional mainstream Western culture in the United States. Eh, deplorable, whatever, it doesn't matter. None of the host segments were remotely amusing. Like I said, Felicia Day is nice to watch, but humor is not apparently something the mads do, either. Seens like they're trying, though, unlike the chunky guy with the glasses and the hair and the neckbeard and the robots.
    Oh, *Westworld* was sort of cute. I don't have anything to say about it, except it was kind of a cute little thing to look at. Jimmi Simpson can go to hell, as far as I'm concerned, but he's small potatoes, in the show, in my opinion, so doesn't matter. Distant memory for me. Maybe could be convinced to watch a second season if it comes on the air, but not too concerned. I can't get too invested in the lives of technicians, their middle-management idiotic bosses, who probably smell perpetual like tampons that could use a change (the fat one), although the kind of cute little technician who looks ethnic with black hair seems to have a nice rack and after a few drinks could be amusing, provided she didn't insist on talking about anything related to her pedestrian work, and some boring morons on vacation. And some robots, meh. They probably got Ed Harris and the guy from *The ELephant Man* for a day each and gave them some scraps of dialogue while miming the universal sign for "stretch" from behind the camera.
    In other news, *Archer* keeps on keeping on. Maybe not knee-slapping hilarity, but I've been amused so far. I'm glad they found a funny role for Ray -- he's always been a funny character but maybe not taken advantage for laughs in the past few seasons, if I'm remembering right. Brings a true equal-opportunity flavor to not only make fun of blacks, but also the gays, and everything else. Him shrieking out "marijuana cigarette" with the band is pretty funny. For that matter, the fellows in the band are pretty funny as well -- don't recognize any names reading the lines in the credits, but that's definitely a welcome addition. Takes some of the attention away from Figgis, who isn't that funny except when being made fun of as a womanly feeb.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Patres omnipotentite,
    genitus non factus,

Moderator would you please merge this thread with the pre-existing thread about TV -- it was called something like "TV omnibus frak" blah blah. Clearly I'd intended this brief commentary to be a part of that thread, but after some problems with networking, I sort of decided it would be best to just give up and start a new thread.

It is, to me, of little importance, but perhaps for the sake of convenience, if happen to have a spare section of time, it's a better to have it all in one place.

And I personally thank you for your service.

Confiteor unum baptisma in remissionem peccatorum et exspecto resurrectionem the One True Thread.

Mille grazie.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Person of Interest" season 5. Amy Acker is one tasty older bitch. I think it was after noticing her in *Cabin in the Woods* that I found out about this show, and remembered her having been a fine young woman in *Angel*.

Actually, the show is kind of bitching -- I haven't watched one of those type of shows in a dog's age, but this is good. I only have seen/am seeing season 5, and probably won't see the others, except maybe season 4 if I need some more sugar from lady sugar tits. Actually, to be honest, she's had some hard miles on her, but she has character in her face, and she doesn't look dried out yet, so she'll do. Oh wait, gross. She's like my age. Gross. Oh well, I still like her, but unfortunately she is unsuitable in real life for admiration. She'd make a good sex doll model, though, younger version.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty stupid, but I like the eye candy, the hot lesbian action, a good 65% of the dialogue sounds like an adult wrote it, which is extremely good for television and movies, and I enjoy seeing a show set primarily in Manhattan where not every character sounds like straight out of central casting, and the sets are regular, not just hack photographs.

Although it is a mash-up of *The Blacklist*, *Quantum Leap*, and *The Net* (the good TV show with Brooke Langton, not the B-movie with that old broad). And that fake-John Hurt British cunt is really annoying -- somebody should cut his tongue out in the show, because his voice makes me want to puke. Oh, I just remembered, the little lover of Amy Acker reminds me of an old lady friend, except taller and smarter. Huh. Wow, I don't like memory road. Oh, and Jim Caviezel or whatever his name is has about the stage charisma of a doormat. Yeah, OK, to keep with the Buffy parallel, he's kind of like that guy from that, the Boreanaz. That's an odd coincidence -- two strange names, with improbable access to hot, wet bitches despite being wet noodles.

Oh yeah, Twin Peaks is back, I guess nerds everywhere know. Yeah, I've seen the original episodes probably three times, and the movie a few times more than that, I guess I'm a fan as much as any casual media consumer. I guess I recommend the new ones. I don't know, just have to see where things take me, but I'm not really finding many ideas here. So far my favorite bits have been Gordon Cole -- some funny bits there. I don't know, just along for the ride.

As delighted I am to see Robert Forster as a new Sheriff Truman, I thought the real core of the show was a buddy-cop show between Cooper and Harry Truman. Nobody I've ever heard of actually cares about the black lodge and all that shit, that was just an amusing little vision.

Also, the tasty ethnic-looking broad from *Westworld* turned out to have been the bitch I was really enthusiastic about from that show *The Riches* -- I watched it for a few seasons then lost track of it, but I remember her as the daughter being fetching. Still is, and she seems to have filled out nicely.

And, just to be clear, "bitch" is not an insult -- it's a term of endearment, even a compliment. Or the complement of a dog (NB: those are two different words, compliment, and complement, with different meanings) -- nobody likes dogs, but every loves bitches.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 07 Jun 2017 at 05:19 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Pretty harsh on MST3K TNG -- let's just say I had an erotic dream that convinced me to "like the show." I guess that's a euphemism for something disgusting. That bitch be controlling my mind. Still, among the many, many, many, many ways it sucks, they really do seem to be trying, and it seems mean to kick the midget slow kid.

Although.........kind of the point of the show.........but, still, I'll allow it. The producers really do seem to have put a lot of effort into their idiot show, so I say they may live.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not liking that they're turning Morty into a sanctimonious little uppity turd. Very unpleasant. Also, the show needs an ineffectual half-wit to dump on, namely, Jerry. I fulfill that role here, and I do a damned good job, but apparently Parnell or whatever his name is is too good to be an animated Jizzelbin for vast sums of Hollywood scratch. What a lame.

Also, it appears that the scrumptious little girl on *Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt* has aged herself out of her "cute" phase. Also, Titus, while hilarious in previous seasons, is kind of getting tiresome. They should replace him with that Keenan Ivory what's his name from SNL a while ago.

Also, Twin Peaks season 3 is just too much, too quickly, and with too much plot and not enough cool dialogue. I guess it can be watched, barely, but it's not what I would call "must see TV." More like "maybe must see when I get around to it and am trying to recover from a stroke while eating soup ineptly."
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 23 Aug 2017 at 12:48 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm enjoying Rick and Morty this season very much. The one with Pickle Rick was insanely funny.

Although I was a fan of Twin Peaks back in the day (well, the first season, anyway), I haven't checked out the new season. Someday on DVD, probably.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Tick just came back to Netflix. But I need to wait for my daughter to come home as she wants to watch it with me.

Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt definitely failed this year for me too. Now the characters and stories are no longer working for me.

I have about 80 Barney Millers recorded off, that and Yankee Baseball should cover a lot of my TV time in the next 2 months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nicely done w/ the Barney Miller -- a few years ago I watched a few seasons. Knew the theme song prior to that, but not much else. Bunch of characters. I don't know how to judge acting, but AFAIC great cast. And............the little guy.....from Mel Brooks.............whatever. The guy from *High Anxiety*, with the "I got it, I got it.....I don't got it." Not Bruno Kirby, but the other little guy. And Hal Linden's wife is hot, and it's too bad she wasn't more part of the show. ETA Ron Carey for the win! Weird, didn't look it up, but apparently the brain has more flaps than a double-pussied hooker.

This just in: message from Rick and Morty episode 6. Don't ever improve yourself, because it's weird. I say it's an amusing episode from this season. Pickle Rick was good, especially with the spot-on therapist (I'm not a partaker myself, but I've been obliged to have read some neuropsychology textbooks). Maybe there's some kind of theme in this season, especially with Jerry getting short-shrifted, which I don't like. Something, something, maybe the fat guy who made the show feels bad about being a drunk dink. That's stupid. But the darkest moment so far, good Rick putting a gun in bad Morty's mouth and pulling the trigger. I find it amusing. "You can't keep the drones: they turn into a little Voltron [can't remember next word]." Yeah, pretty funny, I'd say, in a weird way. "My terry flaps in your mouth. Suck my terry flaps."

Still a funny season. Will report back when I finish the Twin Peaks season, but don't expect any great thoughts from me -- it is what it is, I guess.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Sep 2017 at 03:17 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Twin Peaks, ep 17, I think: nice callback to IMHO one of the great scenes in movies pays off. Right up there with *Gone in 60 Seconds.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've set up the DVR to record "The Orville", the new Seth McFarlane Sci-fi show on Fox. Other than that I'm waiting for shows like Dirk Gently to restart.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I've set up the DVR to record "The Orville", the new Seth McFarlane Sci-fi show on Fox.
    Well, power to you. I'm find that looking at RL Seth MacFarlane makes me want to puke, and that he should make more *American Dad*.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Huh. Somehow I felt braindead so I put on Orv #2.

Well, Jeffrey Tambour is funny -- he's a real actor, and good at comedy. I kind of like that ex-wife on the ship, but she seems like a moron.

This would be a good comedy cartoon.

I will not be sad if MacFarlane's black boyfriend gives him AIDS. Srsly, *American Dad* and *Family Guy* have funny jokes. Leave it at that.

Damned uppity employees of some company I don't own or manage.

Also, if this airs more episodes than the classic cancelled comedy/action/drama *Drive*, then I will cut someone. With my dick. And a spitball. Inside a loogey.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Those who haven't scanned through this little interview with two of the *Rick and Morty* guys should probably do so.

For once I'm glad I read one of those fanzine-type things. Those guys are a couple of nuts, but then again, who isn't?

Still have yet to see the last *R_Mort*, but I'm sure it's fine. Kind of a strange, abridged season, but giving Summer and Sarah Chalke more cool stuff to do almost makes up almost zero Jerry.

Although if I was Chalke or the Summer girl, I'd be kind of pissed that the animators gave me such saggy tits. But, I guess they're professionals, and not petty and vain like some people I know.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It was a good Rick and Morty season; I think Pickle Rick is still my favorite. The Orville is a little hit-or-miss but so far I'm enjoying it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Huh. The last episode of *Rick and Morty* (or however it's spelled) was kind of a return to the "classic" form of R&M.

If I still had a Robitussin avatar, I'd probably have some stuff to say about how the big dialogue between Sarah Chalke and Rick Sanchez is kind of like peaking on a pretty deep little trip, and probably something about the season or whatever.

But that would be ridiculous.

Wow, though, those guys kind of reeled it all back into making everybody sort of zen with waiting until, like, whenever, for the next whatever.

Meh, now I don't have anything to watch. Sorry, I just can't do anymore Orville. Maybe that new Star Trek, but I only know TOS and TNG, so I kind of don't want to get involved in yet another spin-off. Tired of *Schitt's Ck*, can't stand watching SNL, that president show with Kevin Spacey sucks without Kate Mara.

I think a better idea is to buy more large white posterboards at the dollar store and start making up my own shit. Fucking asshole TV shit people, making me make my own shit, fuckers.

Yeah, I'll call it "John Nash, Ted Kaczynski, the psychotic retard, and Althusser's turkey neck." It'll take a while.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I bring you glad tidings from TV land.

Citizens, I have changed my mind about *The Orville* on seeing some of the fourth episode.

It is growing more tolerable the less screen time that jackass "captain" is on screen.

I find that I will probably watch this show, albeit with strong reservations.

But, shit, it's only TV, and it's better than whupping the computer's silicon ass at Gin Rummy.

That is all. Go in peace.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I finally found *Person of Interest*, season 4. Previously, I'd seen season 5.

I suppose I should be kind of ashamed, but I think it's kind of fun, provided you're able to laugh a little bit at yourself while watching it.

That little Lost hobbit guy is pretty good, I guess, as an actor. I'm pretty sure the people in charge of doing the womens' makeup has some kind of issues -- very moist look, for the main cop lady and also Amy Acker. Not bad, just kind of a peculiar visual choice.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Person of Interest has been a show I hope to get around to sometime; it sounds interesting. The Orville has been uneven - still trying the find the right balance between the jokes of Galaxy Quest and the serious drama of ST:TNG - but all in all I'm enjoying it, and will stick with it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I had to test out my new cellular data carrier, so I ended up watching, like episode 9 or something of the new Star Trek (Discovery? something like that).

Makes The Orville look like Masterpiece Theatre. Unwatchable.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I made some effort to track down The Avengers, and while I think I've seen most of the Emma Peel ones, I really do think Honor Blackman (pretty sure that's her name) does an incredible job.

Also, I'm looking forward to checking out Night Gallery.

And, I was surprised to know that David Suchet did a LOT of *Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot*. I only have a few seasons, but I'll take Poirot over Sherlock any day of the week as far as detectives go. Sure, he's Belgian, but nobody's perfect! No, I haven't read any of the books, and I'm unlikely to, but the TV show is satisfying, usually.

So, apparently that's going to take me a long, long time to watch these occasionally -- I can't do the "binge watching" thing without really becoming disgusted with myself in the morning.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Emma Peel was Diana Rigg. Honor is probably best known as Pussy Galore in Goldfinger.

OK, IMDB indicates Honor was the first female partner in The Avengers but Emma was the one that is best known in the US at least.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Emma Peel was Diana Rigg. Honor is probably best known as Pussy Galore in Goldfinger.

OK, IMDB indicates Honor was the first female partner in The Avengers but Emma was the one that is best known in the US at least.
    But...but...Honor Blackman is good too! Besides, Diana Rigg was spoiled in my memory by shagging that putz of a Bond in *Her Majesty's*.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sorry to say, I had kind of high hopes for Night Gallery, and maybe some day I'll give it another go. The episode I started with was from Season 2, with Clint Howard (I didn't know he was so much younger than Ronnie -- kind of an annoying little shit, but that was the character. Sure he's a nice guy).

And, yes, I do have to admit, Diana Rigg truly should not have been disrespected. The earlier episodes, as well, while not bad at all, John Steed was kind of chump, sort of. Sort of a straight-of-central-casting "stiff upper lip, wot, don't you know, English my dear boy!" Of course, he got better as well.

What else. Yes indeed, those Hercule Poirot (David Suchet) movie/TV episodes confirm my intuition that POIROT is pretty much the man. Definitely my hero. They're pretty intense little episodes, so I can only watch one every few days, really.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A very young Steven Spielberg's first TV directing gig was an episode of Night Gallery, IIRC. Never saw the show myself.

Suchet is quite good indeed as Poirot, although I've always had a soft spot for Albert Finney in the role in the Seventies big-screen version of Murder on the Orient Express.

Registered
    Feb 2009

A very young Steven Spielberg's first TV directing gig was an episode of Night Gallery, IIRC. Never saw the show myself.
    That was the one with Joan Crawford I believe. I've seen it but it was nothing special. Night Gallery never really came up to the level of the Twilight Zone. Outer Limits was better also.

Registered
    Dec 2017

Suchet is quite good indeed as Poirot, although I've always had a soft spot for Albert Finney in the role in the Seventies big-screen version of Murder on the Orient Express.
    I never knew that piece of trivia about Spielberg. I've also never heard about that show which is weird as I really like shows like that. I'll check it out if I can find it anywhere.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Boy, these first two seasons of*Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot* sure do not compare favorably to the more recent episodes. I mean, Suchet -- I don't think he ever really changed his character, except of course being a bit younger. Probably something to do with his "method acting" -- he must have had it locked down from the beginning.

I guess just not as high budgets -- either on video or just substandard lighting. And Captain Hastings is not a very welcome sidekick.

Poirot? Poirot does not require an assistance!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hastings was Watson to Poirot's Holmes - the Everyman who can ooh and ah at the master's deductions, stand in for the reader to ask needed questions, and provide either comic relief, an apt acerbic comment, or a bit of muscle, as needed.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I can see that. But the actor who plays him -- I really have only place in my TV-MOVIE mind for one sort of weak-chinned, weasel-faced British actor, and that's the great David Thewlis.

And anyway, Poirot, he is not to need a helper, because when Poirot is to see the mystery, it is to have been said correct, and there is no doubt to have been made! I much should think that when Poirot desires to command a company, it should be a sorry day, for is it not that military endeavors come to ends without wit?
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 20 Dec 2017 at 05:05 PM.

+ Reply to thread