+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Omnibus movies Q&A thread including trivia

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but F*ck Lucas, SW:ANH is just Star Wars. That was what it was called and it is what I will always call it. I will accept Star Wars the first movie as a clarification, but having to call it a New Hope is just dumbshit.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm with you, for the following reasons: even if Lucas was the "creator" of his little movie (which is false, given that movies at that level are collaborative), he has no special authority over the object, which exists independently of him, now.

But be serious, outside of the web and maybe a comic book store convention, do people really insist on the whole New Hope thing? I think "the first Star Wars" is good enough.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The "New Hope thing" has been around for decades. But as long as you're understood, it's all good.

Recently seen:

Bad Day at Black Rock
    A 1955 crime drama, with Spencer Tracy as a crusty, disabled World War II vet arriving in an isolated, boss-controlled desert town for reasons that are only gradually revealed. Very atmospheric but didn't grab me, all in all.

Spectre
    The latest James Bond movie. Daniel Craig is excellent as always as 007, and there's a great opening sequence set during Mexico City's Day of the Dead festivities, but also some amazingly implausible action scenes (even for a Bond film!) and a so-so plot. Overall just not as good as it might have been.

Back to the Future
    Saw this 1985 sf comedy classic on the big screen again for the first time in many years, with the score played live - and very well - by the Cleveland Orchestra. Just as funny, upbeat and clever as I remembered.

A Little Princess
    A pretty good 1995 adaptation of the Frances Hodgson Burnett children's classic. Beautiful cinematography and a farfetched but heartwarming story.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    A highly derivative plot (the Rebels must destroy yet another superweapon), true, but lots of shoutouts to earlier SW movies, a welcome return of the original cast, and two charismatic, appealing new stars - a conscience-stricken former stormtrooper and a beautiful, plucky young woman who is strong in the Force. Despite some nitpicks, I really enjoyed it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

If anyone wants to see the reason people hate French movies, by all means watch *Two Men in Manhattan*.

OTOH *Le doulos* more than holds up to repeated viewings.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*Star Wars* (the new one) -- best recent action flick I've seen in a long, long time. Like the young blood among the actors, got lost/wasn't paying attention to a lot of the plot, but MOST IMPORTANTLY FOR ME, the sound mixing was EXCELLENT. For once, there's a recent movie that doesn't have giant crashing machinery noises and blasting music and tiny quiet dialogue. It was perfect. I liked the nods to Rodney Brooks's project of creating robotics which mimic human affects, in the little droid on the Dyson vacuum ball.

*Hateful Eight*. For once, somebody avoided the trend, nascent in the 1970s, culminating in *Unforgiven*, for revisionist Westerns. This was something Budd Boetticher could have watched and not spit on. Great movie, and, more importantly, a great Western in the classic, abstract way that Westerns were made in the 1950s on shoestring budgets.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Everyone's going to be interested to know that the English title of *Le doulos* is, apparently, *The Finger Man.*

If that isn't the funniest fucking thing you've ever heard, as a movie title, then I'll go down on you personally.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh yeah, speaking of baseball, I did finally run down a copy of *The Pride of St. Louis* a few weeks ago. Yeah, nothing really to write home about, and of all the crazy shit Dizzy Dean supposedly said/did over his life, they sure didn't make much of it. I mean, there's a reason every moron on the street knows about Dizzy and Daffy Dean, at least by name and a few colorful anecdotes, and it isn't just because everybody in America was born with a glove in their hand.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, too late for edit, but, like EH I saw *Sense and Sensibility* recently -- in my case it was about a week ago. Pretty sure I've seen it before, but, regardless, it was indeed a charming picture. And, ad EH, would you....ahem...agree with me ad *Bad Day Black Rock* that it sucks? I guess that's a little harsh -- you've got to admit, it really got the all-stars in one room. I just think it's a disappointment, and not a very interesting picture. ETA kind of makes me wonder why I've seen it like a handful of times, though. I guess I thought it would get different every time. Oh well.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 01 Jan 2016 at 11:30 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Bad Day at Black Rock was less than the sum of its parts. I wouldn't say it sucks, but it was a disappointment, I'm sorry to say.

My eldest son is home from university and on a Star Wars kick, so together we've recently seen:

SW Ep. III: Revenge of the Sith
    The best of the prequels (which isn't saying much), with some great action sequences as Palpatine seizes power and smites the Jedi.

SW Ep. IV: A New Hope
    Still my favorite of them all. Other than Han and Luke's Seventies haircuts, it still holds up very well, with a near-perfect mix of action, adventure, combat, humor, mysticism and romance.

SW Ep. V: The Empire Strikes Back
    The battle on wintry Hoth, the escape through the asteroid field and Luke's training with Yoda are the best parts of this movie, but its cliffhanger ending keeps it out of contention for the top prize.

SW Ep. VI: Return of the Jedi
    Bad: another Death Star and those damn Ewoks. Good: Luke confronts the Emperor and Vader achieves some form of redemption before his death. A better movie than I remembered, I have to admit.

SW Ep. VII: The Force Awakens
    Saw it a second time and, despite the overfamiliar final act, enjoyed it all over again. I appreciated the music more, as well as the character Rey and the mystery of Luke Skywalker.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*The Mechanic*, the movie from the early 1970s with Charles Bronson, isn't as "good" as I remember. In fact, it doesn't really hold up that well compared to the crime movies Melville was making at the same time.

I revise what I said about *Highlander* being so bad it's hilarious. It just gets worse and worse once you're in on the joke. Like what I imagine to be witnessing many executions. Grim. Dire. Duty.

ETA Oh yeah, so this is kind of weird. Prior to seeing *Hateful Eight*, my desire to execute someone to death by hanging was renewed by seeing one of the Randolph Scott Westerns from the 1950s -- can't think of the title right now. Then saw *Hateful Eight*, and was like, "woah, that's sick, dude!" THEN, a few days after, I saw one I hadn't seen before, also with Randolph Scott, called *Hangman's Knot*.

fucking A, you heard it here first -- I cracked that little QT's code. You'll never read the parallels anywhere else on the internet. That's balls-out trippy, man.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 09 Jan 2016 at 04:22 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You might also like Pierrepoint: The Last Hangman, which I haven't seen, but it got good reviews at the time: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462477/

Registered
    Jul 2013

Son of a bitch's bastard son of a bitch cocksucker assholes, some QT jerkoffs apparently mention *Hangman's Knot* here. Fucking cram an arriflex up their motherfucking assholes and break it off, bitch cunt whore fucker.

Don't ask why I found that steaming turd of a shit fucker link. I will kill all of them.

Looking forward to the movie about the hangman, EH -- that sounds like a good way to spend an hour or two.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Jan 2016 at 12:05 AM. Reason: size rant

Registered
    Sep 2009

Here's more on the guy - was quite a macabre celebrity in his day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Pierrepoint

Registered
    Jul 2013

*The Set-Up* -- Robert Wise directed it, Bob Ryan was the big star in it (a young Robert Ryan -- I guess I didn't know he was ever younger than an athletic 45 years old). Wow. I guess it's a rule that all movies about boxing have to be really bleak and have no point. I remember *Night and the City* with Dick Widmark as being fun, as well as the remake with De Niro, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

True trivia factoid: apparently Jean-Paul Belmondo was some kind of prize fighter for a little while before "making it" as an actor.

True trivia question: I've wondered this for a while, but was Ray Wise (actor -- played Leland Palmer in *Twin Peaks* TV & movie and the devil in that TV show....Reaper from a while back) related to Robert Wise?

*Blast of Silence* -- strange, strange movie, with a second-person voice over, with odd lines. "He had a face that made you want to punch it. You drove faster.*

*Classe Tous Risques* -- absolutely a great gangster movie, and one of the few for which I was able to easily find the original novel it was based on. The movie is better, and the author of the novel was some kind of collaborationist who was sentenced to death for his crimes, but got off with only prison. ETA the movie is not just "absolutely a great blah blah" -- it captures pretty much everything classic and good about the genre. It's like *Touchez pas au grisbi*, except with a good plot and real action. In other words, style AND balls.

*The Verdict*, with Paul Newman, just sucked balls. What was Mr. salad dressing drunk or something for real all through the movie? It just stank, and reminded me that Paul Newman really wasn't all that great, except in *Color of Money*
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 17 Jan 2016 at 02:45 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

The *Lord of the Rings.* So that wasn't the *Screwtape Letters* guy, and it wasn'y Anthony Burgess, so it was Tolkien among the classical scholars.

WTF, dude? I tolerate SF/fantasy tales pretty well, and I not only liked Bruce Jackson's *Heavenly Creatures* a whole lot, but I also love New Zealand, because a family friend was from there, and he was cool, and Zoe Bell and Melanie Lynskey are from there, and I like lamb and creamed honey. Never been, but much like parts of Australia, it's someplace I'd like to go someday.

Dude, it's three hours long, and Gandalf's pipe is ridiculous -- what did people do in the theaters? Smoke weed in the theaters, NYC style, while talking over the movie, and have flashbacks featuring Jimmy Page as a spirit guide?

The music was boring, but it the audio was mixed very well, to me.

*Anna Karenina* with Knightley and Jude Law. Silly movie, with a bunch of stupid MTV camera tricks. Sorry to say, Knightley kind of looked ugly and talked stupid. I didn't know Jude Law was a real actor, though -- I guess he might be English or something. Maybe it got a nomination for a Teen Choice award -- I had no idea it existed. It gets a solid Bowfinger/thumb dangling.

*Asphalt Jungle* and *The Killing* -- inspired by a recent seeing of most of Melville's movies (some for the first time). I am convinced, even though Sterling Hayden was some kind of rat for the HUAC, he is about the most menacing guy ever. I knew it before, but he stands up to repeated viewings -- kind of a taller Dick Widmark, just one of those people you never get tired of watching. I used to make fun of *Asphalt Jungle* because of Marilyn Monroe and Huston's using the dissolve cuts, but I was wrong. Nice movie. *The Killing*'s Coleen Gray (from *Nightmare Alley*) -- I remember she was in it, but forgot she was very effective.

*Fort Apache* -- I have no memory of seeing this, but it rules.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I thought the Lord of the Rings movies were pretty damn well done. Now the Hobbit movies were bad, terrible and a candidate for one of the worst movies ever in that order.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, sure, once you get Topher Grace into the picture, and Sir Alec Guinness shooting lightning bolts, of course it's going to be well done.

Registered
    Jul 2013

From last year, a so-called romantic comedy called *Results*. Kind of cute, I guess. I liked it when the moron got punched by the kid and had his phone stolen.

Both *The Omen* and *Rosemary's Baby* hold up very well. Yeah, I know "people" like to whine about Polanski and "the world is so unfair," but he made a good movie. Also, I don't particularly like kids, or Mia Farrow, so both these movies were right up my alley. Although Farrow was surprisingly effective in her role, as was Cassavetes -- he made a good satanist.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looking forward to Hail Caesar! Planning to see it when it comes out. I think it opens Friday.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm a Coen Bros. fan (The Big Lebowski is my all-time favorite, with Fargo, A Serious Man, Raising Arizona and No Country for Old Men not far behind) and will definitely see it.

Recently seen:

Spotlight
    Pretty good drama about the Boston Globe reporters who broke the story of the decades-long coverup by the Roman Catholic Church of priestly sex abuse. Reminded me a lot of another good scrappy-journalists-taking-on-the-powerful movie, All the President's Men.

The Assassin
    A Chinese historical drama, about a conflicted female assassin assigned to kill a childhood friend. Beautiful cinematography but a very puzzling plot.

Galaxy Quest
    Saw this again in honor of the late Alan Rickman, who of course is great in it. One of my favorite sf comedies, with a very funny ensemble cast and lots of Star Trek in-jokes.

North by Northwest
    Finally saw this Hitchcock classic all the way through. It drags a little at times but more often than not is an engaging Fifties thriller.

Hitchcock/Truffaut
    A recent documentary about the famous 1962 interviews of the older British by the worshipful younger French director. Of Hitchcock's masterpieces, Psycho and Vertigo get the most attention. A highlight of the film is the commentary by other current directors, including Martin Scorsese, Paul Schrader, Wes Anderson and David Fincher, about the lifelong impact Hitchcock's films have had on them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I watched Galaxy Quest for the umteenth time the night I heard Alan Hans Gruber, Snape, Give him a hand he's British Rickman died.

I watched the Man that Fell to Earth after Bowie passed. It was even less interesting this second time I saw it. I should have re-watched Labyrinth instead.

My favorite Coen Brothers movies are The Hudsucker Proxy & O' Brother Where Art Thou. One is a classic screwball comedy that hearkens back the classic age of the screwball and the other is the Odyssey retold.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Maps to the Stars

In some ways just another Cronenberg movie, which is good if you like the whole double-identity, terror idea, like I do. With two twists: Julianne Moore gives the only good performance in a good movie I've ever seen her do, and it's set in Hollywood. And some good dialogue: "Benji, why don't you drop it?" --"'Drop it?' I have a better idea: why don't you show me your cunt? I know you have one, jew faggot."

L'aine des Ferchaux

I knew there was something to like in earlier Melville movies, I just forgot about it.

Man Behind the Gun
    Kind of a Western version of the Chinatown plot, water rights in southern California.

The Small Back Room
    I thought this one was more of an anti-liquor screed, like *The Lost Weekend* but with good actors and made for an adult audience. No. It's pro-liquor, pro-Brits, pro-banging-Deborah-Kerr. In other words, on two out of three essential points, it wins.

HIGHLY recommend: A Touch of Genius (a documentary about the musician Nicolas Slonimsky). Terrific slice of life, from someone who emigrated from the Bolshevik Revolution and became, in the US, one of the first to perform modern music, by Americans like Charles Ives and John Cage, and Edgar Varese.

I didn't know anything about him, except for his infamous *Slonismky's Thesaurus of Scales*, which supposedly Coltrane used to practice out of. I've looked at it, and it's pretty weird and not very interesting -- sort of like Eddie Harris's *The Intervallic Method*.

Apparently he was the man. "So, this is what happened to the original Baker, who actually existed, but he shouldn't have existed, because he mixed up many things, but anyway, the Dictionary, *Baker's Biographical Dictionary*, remained, and that's how I became the editor."

"So, I had my wife, who died, twenty-five years ago, but I have a daughter, and and a ... grandson....and....a granddaughter. So, this is enough."

Framed by documentary footage of a very elderly but hilarious and cogent Slonimsky returning to Russia -- not for the first time since 1918 or whenever he left, but the first time to St. Petersburg in free Russia, I believe.

"Now I have reached the age of absurdity. To exorcise the ghostly digits of my age, I have now adopted a personal countdown, modulo 100....In 1994, I will be zero. On this hopeful note, I conclude." --Slonimsky, *Perfect Pitch* (memoir)

The Misfits. Very different than my memory of it. Eli Wallach is kind of doing the same role as he did in *The Good the Bad the Ugly*, which is amusing.

Guido -- "She sure moves though, don't she?"
    Gay -- "Mmmm. She's real prime."

Wow. I forgot a lot of the first bit of *The Misfits*. At the first little party, with Thelma, Gay, Eli, and Marilyn. Wow, Marilyn's character is the definition of that one person in the Cheech-and-Chong-circle who is an absolutely downer.

Gone in 60 Seconds. Just killing some time the other day, ended up watching most of it again. Sweet duster in the scene with overdubbed "You just want me to be fat like all the other pollocks"

Never noticed how little of the dialogue is just randomly dubbed in, at least at the beginning. The one time I noticed it synched with people, the actor Toby Halicki flubbed the line, "You just be there to drive us to the airport or pick us up at the airport."

Chisum (1970) longest shitty title sequence. Directed by................someone with a name...................well, famous last name. Probably related.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ETA looked it up out of...curiosity. Andrew V. McLagen -- sure enough, son of Victor McLagen. Also, I didn't recognize Ben Johnson as "Pepper" -- then again, I only had the movie on while shaving and brushing my teeth, but long enough to say for sure that Ben Johnson didn't help any.

EETA from the Wikipedia page on *Chisum* (c'mon, you know I HAD to see the movie eventually!): "During filming, John Mitchum, brother of Robert, introduced John Wayne to his patriotic poetry. Seeing that Wayne was greatly moved by the word, Forrest Tucker suggested that the two collaborate to record some of the poetry, which resulted in a Grammy-nominated spoken-word album, America: Why I Love Her."

For those who have heard John Wayne's album, and, like any reasonable person of taste, wishes he or she hadn't, I guess it's the fault of this movie. And Bob Mitchum's EEETAretarded differently-abled Billy Carter/Roger Clinton sibling.

EEEETA shit son of a bitch. Kathleen Byron, not Deborah Kerr. I get them confused, not because they look especially alike, but because of the movies they were in. I'm pretty sure Micky Powell was boning on KB pretty good. I don't remember, though. Take-away message? Don't rely on my memory too good, even if you are me in this world.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 06 Feb 2016 at 03:49 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I forgot I saw Heist from last year. Made me ill. It wasn't that there was too much violence, just that it was gratuitous, and every character in the movie made me sick. Disgusting trash. Hope you enjoy it, you milennial fuckwits, that's your generation's *Taxi Driver*. Instead of anything good, you make shit, and now you get to eat it. Which is fine, because it's food for children.

I just love the toddler-oriented culture your generation spawns. Don't like my pipe tobacco? Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that was an AIDS baby. No, you look like a fetal alcohol syndrome kind of gal.

By all means go to the movies. After you!

ETA I forgot I saw last night the Rifftrax of *Phantom Menace*, and the first bit of *War of --- Attack of the Clones*.

You know what? Those movies are just fine. They're kids movies, and they seem to be more fun than kids' movies when I was coming up -- what, like *ET* and the Disney cartoons.

I was an adult when these movies came out, but I was not paying attention to nerds online, what with being an adult and everything, so I missed any furor bellicosa or whatever, but I think they're just fine.

I don't especially want to see them again, though.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 06 Feb 2016 at 05:49 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    My favorite Coen Brothers movies are The Hudsucker Proxy & O' Brother Where Art Thou. One is a classic screwball comedy that hearkens back the classic age of the screwball and the other is the Odyssey retold.
    I saw *Hudsucker* just because of your mention of it, probably quite a while ago. I wouldn't have pegged it as a Coen Bros. movie, and, in fact, while I was amused by it and remember it fondly, still think it's noteworthy because one forgets (or might) that it is a "Coen Bros." movie. They play it a little bit straight, and for me, that makes it noteworthy. I confess I end up watching......Jeff Bridges..............Julianne Moore.....the *Big Lebowski* still, just because it has so many great little moments in it. "Goldbricking asshole disturbing my beach community!" (or whatever it is).

I had no idea there's a new one they're doing out now/soon -- so, thanks in advance for that, I guess. I liked the preface to the...I think Faber and Faber thing of some of their screenplays. Don't need to see them all, but if it looks good and starts soon, at least it's something.

Registered
    Feb 2009

OK, Hail, Caesar! was pretty damn good and pretty damn funny. I would give it a solid 8 or maybe a 9. Josh Brolin was absolutely brilliant in the main role and Clooney was excellent in a role well suited to Clooney. The cast of character actors that added to this film was pretty wonderful.

Deadpool is probably next for me, my son wants to see it and we're both off tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2009

By weird happenstance I watched the 3 best boat pictures today. This morning was African Queen, then Jaws was on Encore and shortly after BBCA had The Hunt for Red October. They are all great and in different ways. The pinnacle of all three movies though has to be the quiet scene in Jaws when Quint related the fate of the crew of the USS Indianapolis.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Deadpool, best Ryan Reynolds film ever.

Of course this bar is very low, he has never actually made a good film before.

Deadpool was entertaining but nothing special. Anyone else see it yet?

One weird note, I took my son to see it but he is a teen, at the end of the movie I saw a father walk out with what I guess were his 10 and 8 year old sons.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Don't you mean Deadpool one of the best Marvel Superhero movies ever.

It's no Citizen Kane but it certainly hits every geek spot and it's great to see a film actually stay a lot truer to the source material than most.

They gave the fans the movie they wanted and the fans have responded in droves.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*The Big Short* saw last night. I (a) didn't know it existed until recently and (b) if I had, I wouldn't have bothered, because I don't like boring stuff. In both cases I wouold have been wrong. Wildly entertaining and creative, almost floridly so, movie.

A week or maybe two weeks ago I saw *The Black Narcissus* again -- you know, I don't think I ever saw it to the end. There should be a separate category of movies I never finished. "Sausages! They will eat sausages. All Europeans eat sausages wherever they go. They will eat sausages until they tell me what else they like to eat." Yeah, the big crowd-pleasing pay-off is towards the end, much like *The Red Desert*, and it's one of the few movies I feel an urge to see on the real screen.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Don't you mean Deadpool one of the best Marvel Superhero movies ever.

It's no Citizen Kane but it certainly hits every geek spot and it's great to see a film actually stay a lot truer to the source material than most.

They gave the fans the movie they wanted and the fans have responded in droves.
    Can't agree, not as good as Avengers or as fun as Guardians of the Galaxy but then I don't know or care about the source material. But hey, way better than Thor, Hulk or the Iron Man trilogy. Actually better than any Xmen movie for me too.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Despite an annoying similarity to a Dirty Harry movie's title, *Deadpool* gave me a nice sense of cohesion with what I imagine to be the millenials' relation to (or composition of) the Zeitgeist. Mainly, the jokes seemed about what I observe the kids laughing at, and the action was quick, but tame. Cute movie. Among recent action flicks, it's no *Man from U.N.C.L.E.*, but it was cute.

I think this was a DC character, but the next superhero movie is going to be about Banjo Man, right?

I think I stumbled on where they got Madeleine Kahn's ridiculous accent in *Blazing Saddles*: straight out of *Rancho Notorious*, Marlene Dietrich. Fritz Lang, between that one and *Western Union*...I hope he got paid well, at least, because those two movies stink on ice. Oddly enough, I had no idea they were "Lang pictures" until after seeing them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Madeleine Kahn was absolutely doing a parody/tribute to many old Marlene Dietrich characters.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I did not know that. I don't think I'd seen a single Dietrich Western until just now -- and that accent didn't really click until the two settings (Blazing Saddles and the other one) were united. ETA forgot to mention that the title song to.........scrolling up...Rancho Notorious is the worst I've heard yet. Something like "a tale of murder, hatred, and reveeeeennnge." The singer's name was hidden in pretty small print in the opening credits, so maybe he was paid well, too.

But I was seriously just this second coming in to post the biggest spoiler for *The Revenant*:
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    boring Apocalypse Now
    . And the stunt acting is tiresome -- nobody wants to see David Blaine crap himself in a plexiglass cage suspended from a hang-glider. But that's just like my opinion, man.

Oh yeah, but QUESTION: why exactly was Blondie supposed to be "the good" in the movie? That was irony or something, right? "I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, he's blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig."
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Mar 2016 at 07:03 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Blondie being the good is relative to the others and also if I recall correctly a little bit of a translation thing. The title is really "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo" and I think though I could be wrong that in this case buono referred more to good looking than good in heart (or alignment if you will).

ETA: I went digging, Buono can absolutely mean Fair or Lovely
    Last edited by What Exit?; 04 Mar 2016 at 07:19 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Blondie being the good is relative to the others and also if I recall correctly a little bit of a translation thing. The title is really "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo" and I think though I could be wrong that in this case buono referred more to good looking than good in heart (or alignment if you will).

ETA: I went digging, Buono can absolutely mean Fair or Lovely
    Nicely done. So it's like leering at somebody and saying "elle est bonnnnnnne" but in Italian and talking about Clint Eastwood.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Recently seen:

Chimes at Midnight
    Orson Welles directed and starred in this 1966 B&W Shakespearian mashup focusing on Falstaff and Prince Hal. Had its moments but disappointing overall.

Mad Max: Fury Road
    Good but not great. Surprised by all the Oscar love it got.

The Maltese Falcon
    Saw this noir classic in a 75th anniversary remastered print. Still holds up well.

Deadpool
    Lots of fun, I agree - a tongue-in-cheek, fourth-wall-breaking, raunchy, ultra-violent superhero yarn, with a very well-calibrated mix of action and jokes.

Groundhog Day
    It has it all: laughs, tragedy, romance, a moral core, and a deeply philosophical resonance that really appeals to me. Great premise, fine cast and just one great line after another.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Nicely done. So it's like leering at somebody and saying "elle est bonnnnnnne" but in Italian and talking about Clint Eastwood.
    You know those short bits between TCM movies with either the host talking or some modern actor waxing poetic about an older one, I think that is what I remembering for the "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo" and combined with years of Latin in school many decades ago I was pretty sure the good was not quite what it sounded like in the English title.

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Recently seen:

Chimes at Midnight
    Orson Welles directed and starred in this 1966 B&W Shakespearian mashup focusing on Falstaff and Prince Hal. Had its moments but disappointing overall.

Mad Max: Fury Road
    Good but not great. Surprised by all the Oscar love it got.

The Maltese Falcon
    Saw this noir classic in a 75th anniversary remastered print. Still holds up well.

Deadpool
    Lots of fun, I agree - a tongue-in-cheek, fourth-wall-breaking, raunchy, ultra-violent superhero yarn, with a very well-calibrated mix of action and jokes.

Groundhog Day
    It has it all: laughs, tragedy, romance, a moral core, and a deeply philosophical resonance that really appeals to me. Great premise, fine cast and just one great line after another.
    Chimes sounds interesting but many of Welles projects were interesting but not terribly entertaining.

I will see Mad Max eventually I guess, but the love for it surprised me to no end.

The Maltese Falcon I watch recently, still compelling and still great. Humphrey suffers a little from being a one character, actor but this can be awesome in the case of Jack Nicholson or Samuel L. "I'm about to kick your ass" Jackson or mostly dreadful with Keanu Reeves and Stallone. In Bogart's case it is awesome.

I also love any appearance from Peter Lorre, he always adds to any movie he is in.

Deadpool we appear to agree on overall. So cool. CIAS's enjoyment seemed more elevated then ours.

Groundhog Day is one of my favorite movies, a perfect 10 for me and better yet one of maybe a dozen films that suck me into watching it time and again if it is on while I'm channel flipping. Murray was probably at his best and that is saying something for me. I love so much of his work. I've never been a fan of Andie MacDowell but even she is nearly perfect in this.

Was this a rewatch for you or were you lucky enough to be seeing it for the first time?

Registered
    Sep 2009

This was either the third or fourth time I've seen it. I don't like to watch it every year - that would be too much, and it would become routine - but every three years or so seems to suit me.

Registered
    Jul 2013

The Maltese Falcon I watch recently, still compelling and still great. Humphrey suffers a little from being a one character, actor but this can be awesome in the case of Jack Nicholson or Samuel L. "I'm about to kick your ass" Jackson or mostly dreadful with Keanu Reeves and Stallone. In Bogart's case it is awesome.
    Johnny Utah's character went to law school on a football scholarship. That is all. Brain damage explains Keanu. Not sure about Stallone -- maybe his brother got all the brain power.

Sad to report that, after seeing *The Right Stuff* maybe eighteen tima es, it's starting to show a little bit around the edges -- the formulaism, the stock characters, the lumpy humor.

Cannot confirm but after seeing the first half-hour or so of *The Untouchables* a few hours ago, it might not have aged all that well. I don't know. Maybe Sean Connery is the Bogey of his time -- redoutable, hard to take seriously, but delivers the goods.

The on-the-air broadcast of Bob Duvall and Hot Lips in the movie M*A*S*H is the first time I've laughed out loud in a while. I'm hungry for you, Margaret (from before). Kiss my lips, my hot lips.

In the spirit of movie Q: what's the deal with people licking the marijuana joint in the "movie" way? See *Blazing Saddles*, and (IIRC) the scene in *Serpico* when Pacino and Albert Brooks are "exposed" to weed as part of their training as narcos? I've never seen that done IRL, ever -- for sure, wetting around if it starts to "canoe" from a very loose roll, and I'm not an expert, and don't go out of my way to smoke, since I'm not a fourteen year old hippie with girly hair.

That seems like a good question. Not talking about pleasure-boating, talking about sharking.

Registered
    Jul 2013

It appears Alicia Vikander is 5'5" -- she seems much shorter in *The Man From UNCLE* and *The Danish Girl*. I should wait to comment on *TDG* until I've finished it, but the first half is light-hearted, charming, and a nice character study. I mean, it looked like that when I looked over the shoulder of someone on mass transit who let me listen as well.

In other news, *Machete Kills* isn't a very good movie at all. I'm pretty sure I've seen it, but maybe not, or I have no memory of it, or maybe I do but I can't remember. "Michelle Rodriguqez: You fuck her? [sniffs] Yeah, you did. Danny Trejo: You got a problem? Rodriguez: Yeah, I got a problem. When you smell like pussy, it means you're pussy-whipped. And when you're pussy-whipped, your judgment's cloudy." That's about it, as far as snappy dialogue goes. Carlos Estevez is funny, though, and the nurses from the original made an encore performance.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*The Great Escape* yet another one that failed me. This one I've probably only seen a handful of times. Mind-crushingly boring is the best I can say. I couldn't sit through it again. I sound like a millenial, but that movie is one big cliche'. OTOH, look how young everybody looks. I just realized how that sounds, but seriously, that was probably a big star-maker for those kids like Jimmy Coburn and even ... The Mechanic ... fucking A I'm old I can't remember his name ... the BRONSON!

ETA I edited my post to revise "star-fucker-maker" to "star-maker." I require that this board should have visible edit traces, like Facebook. You guys already have the best spoiler-box out there, but I love the idea of making all edits publicly available. Keep the time-limit, I guess -- I can imagine some different-abled person going nuts and going crazy, but I have my rules for myself, namely, spew spontaneously and mark edits, and so it's the way I want things, but am lazy, so someone else do that.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 12 Mar 2016 at 03:52 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*The Danish Girl* is one of the best biopics I've ever seen. Q -- do people actually get spontaneous nosebleeds? If so, that's pretty cool trick for a party. Slight danger about an hour through of getting all weepy and heavy drama queenish (on the part of everyone), but it rallied remarkably, and put me in a good mood for a while afterwards. Remarkable -- something in it for everyone. Boy, Alicia Vikander is really good at crying.

*Ex Machina* -- Maybe I'm not the intended audience, but I thought it was goofy, but not at the level of "cute." OTOH, the main inventor-guy really did make a great villain -- put everything despicable into one person, and that's him all over. It's like *Bladerunner*, except not (a) good (b) thought-provoking (c) sexy (d) in case I didn't stress good enough, good.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sadly yes, people do get spontaneous nosebleeds, my son is one that does.

I love the Great Escape but I also like Hogan's Heroes so my judgement may be in question by many anyway.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sadly yes, people do get spontaneous nosebleeds
    Sorry about that. Ignorance fought! But with slightly less funny answer than I wanted.

I mean, who doesn't love *The Great Escape*? The first four or five times. I'm starting to realize there's an upper bound to how many times one can see a movie and still get something out of it, even if that something is a tepid, "comforts of home" type thing.

In "honor" of Jacques Rivette's death not too long ago I tried to watch the recent *Va Savoir*. It hit a little too close to home, and made me uncomfortable, so I disapprove.

However, I finally got around to watching *Inland Empire* (the David Lynch picture). Wow. Laura Dern is a pretty good actress -- didn't really know that. Well, I don't know how to judge acting, so let's just say she fooled me at faking being a good actress.

ETA I did actually watch *Bladerunner* again to get the taste of *Ex Machina* out of my head. The super-duper director's cut extra or whatever it's called. Truly a great movie. The first few times I saw it, it was like "Rutger Hauer's awesome!" But, no it's a great movie. *Ex Machina* OTOH is three hours of watching a douchebag, a lacky, and some computers. It is a piece of shit movie.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 20 Mar 2016 at 12:16 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*The Westerner* is pretty stupid. I'm sorry I wasted time seeing it again.

Yeah, whatever, we've all seen it.

Put his teeth in, and he's Roy fucking Bean.

Whatever. Another one I wish I was glad to not have seen yet again.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*The Invisible Man* is a twisted, wild movie. I don't think I've ever seen it before. The real one -- I bet it's been remade, but the James Whale one with Claude Rains.

Speaking of Jimmy Whale, I saw *The Bride of Frankenstein* the other day -- it's been a long time since I saw it. That Mel Brooks stole everything from that movie! That schemer! IIRC he got some of the original props, but I feel so cheated I refuse to believe it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Our international film festival is now in full swing; lots of good flicks. I've recently seen:

Brother
    A 2015 Belgian dark comedy/drama about a schlub who impersonates his much-more-suave, but now dead, near-twin brother to get at the late brother's ex-girlfriend's fortune after she contacts him, 20 years later, to say she never stopped loving him (the by-then-late brother, that is). I guessed both the twist and the ending, but it's still worth a look.

Snowtime!
    A Canadian animated film about kids in a wintry northern town building, and then fighting over, an elaborate snow fort. A good anti-war message, but as a film it never quite took off.

Right Footed
    Documentary about an American woman born with no arms. She learns to care for herself and eventually earns both her driver's and her small-aircraft pilot's licenses, and becomes an advocate for the disabled and amputees. Interesting and inspiring.

April and the Extraordinary World
    French animated film about an alternative timeline in which major scientists (Einstein, Bohr, Curie, etc.) disappear right on the cusp of fame and neither world war is ever fought. A smart, plucky Paris girl, April, tries to figure out what's going on, aided by her talking cat, her genius grandfather and a young admirer who is not what he seems. Interesting premise, good animation but overlong, I thought.

Every Face Has A Name
    A Swedish documentary filmmaker went through 1945 footage of WWII refugees arriving in his country, reviewed passenger lists and, in the present day, tracked down and interviewed as many survivors as he could. We see several as they watch the footage, spotting themselves, friends and family members from long ago, and describing (sometimes in tears) their wartime experiences and what has happened to them since. Well-made and very moving, and draws a direct link to the current European refugee crisis.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Pretty jealous: my friend who tipped me off on *Winter Sleep* and *Cycling with Moliere* among other things has been dry lately on good artsy movies, so I'll look forward to checking some of those from the festival out, if/when I can.

*Strategic Air Command* is one of the most terrible movies that could have been awesome. Anthony Mann directing. Jimmy Stewart as a sort-of analog of him IRL (WWII pilot, returned to do stuff for the Air Force). Some nice pictures of the B36. It was just awful. June Alyson's character as the screeching wife was unbearable. And supposedly the guy who was supposed to be Curtis LeMay just was kind of wimpy from what (VERY) little I know about LeMay IRL. The color was high-keyed, awful, though I'm sure they spared no expense. And Stewart's character was not a compelling hero-type. Not a wimp, but just a confused, sad man in some ways -- not that I'm an authority on psychology.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*Hail Caesar!* or however it's spelled was pretty cute. Did not care for Clooney's performance, nor his ridiculous costume. Did not like the sailor-dance sequence: it was completely off, and in no way resembled any real thing. Did not like the Jew writer = pinko commie....stale. Was puzzled by Marcuse's appearance among the pinkos. Yes, I know all about Marcuse, I just thought it was weird. Liked: Tilda Swinton for once not resembling a ghoul and getting praised for it. ETA did not like the Busby Berkeley water-dance spoof either: it was corny, and stupid, and the original was also stupid and only perseveres because of Mel Brooks's spoof.

Yeah, it was kind of just a lush "eh, screw it, let's do a movie and invite our friends to be in it," so, that's what I liked about it. Also, not dark like *The Player,* which was shit. It could be a nice bookend piece to the other recent tribute/fun one -- the one that got some awards, black and white silent movie, something something, blah blah.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Apr 2016 at 01:09 PM.

+ Reply to thread