+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Omnibus movies Q&A thread including trivia

Registered
    Sep 2009

The reviews of Fantastic Four have been... underwhelming. Not sure I'll ever see it.

I've recently seen:

A Lego Brickumentary
    A light-hearted, entertaining documentary about Lego building blocks, from their earliest days to the present, with interesting discussion of the company's ups and downs, testimonials from both young fans and old, and some truly amazing Lego creations, including a huge recreation of Rivendell done entirely in Lego.

Return of the Pink Panther
    Hadn't seen this 1975 comedy in years. Peter Sellers is quite good as the bumbling Insp. Clouseau but the movie just wasn't as funny as I remember.

Megamind
    Watched this superhero spoof again and enjoyed it. Great voice cast, lots of superhero in-jokes (especially about Superman) and impressive visuals.

Time Bandits
    A deserved classic, about dwarves who steal a map of the universe from the Supreme Being ("You mean God?" "Well, we don't know him that well") in order to steal from such personages as Napoleon, Robin Hood and Agamemnon. The child star is great - I see from IMDB that this is practically his only role. The movie's downbeat ending is still a bummer.

The Third Man
    Just saw a remastered print of this British masterpiece and loved it all over again - an atmospheric B&W Cold War thriller set in still-devastated postwar Vienna. Orson Welles shamelessly steals every scene he's in. Poking around on Wiki last night, I learned that there was a radio prequel series, also starring Welles!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    The Third Man
    Just saw a remastered print of this British masterpiece and loved it all over again - an atmospheric B&W Cold War thriller set in still-devastated postwar Vienna. Orson Welles shamelessly steals every scene he's in. Poking around on Wiki last night, I learned that there was a radio prequel series, also starring Welles!
    I forgot about those -- I think some of them are as extras on the Criterion DVD. It was like "The Harry Lime Adventures," or maybe just called "The Third Man." I tried and failed to learn the zither theme music for piano off the record -- it still would be a good little one to do as a "theme" signalling time for a break.

right, *The Return of PP* -- I get them confused. A quick glance at wiki tells this is the one that ended with Herbert Lom in the bughouse. So I guess that means the next one is the one where Clouseau meets Lom in the sanitarium yard and the whole "In every way, on every day, I'm feeling better and better."

FYI, *Rocky III* is not a good movie, at all.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

So I watched Arsenic and Old Lace again for the nth time. I still laughed despite knowing what was coming at almost every moment. The King of the Screwball Comedies was at his best in this one and a great supporting cast of top character actors and Broadway actors rounded out this awesome 1944 comedy. Cary Grant really had no equal when it came to screwball comedies.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, Cary Grant did not have any equals in the genre. Haven't seen *Arsenic and Old Lace* since I was twelve or so. Probably time to rewatch.

Antonioni's *Il Grido* -- for some reason I've avoided this movie, although I've had a copy for fifteen years. It's pretty good, I guess. After the first 90 minutes, it gets good. Reminds me of the movie *Detour*, I guess. Resaw *The Eclipse* -- it's been a while. Largely spurred on by this image (from a different movie, natch):

Registered
    Jul 2013

Was bored waiting for a jazz "concert," so stuck on *Jackie Brown* while I was pounding off and shaving and stuff. About the million trillionth time I seen that fucking movie. Know all the lines, everything, all the movies it cribbed off, whatever.

Fucking great. I'm looking forward to tonight just now seeing *Ronin* for like the millionth time. Still a fucking amusing movie.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Jackie Brown is great. Did you realize that Michael Keaton plays the same DEA agent, Ray Nicolette, in both that and Out of Sight? Unrelated movies (other than both are inspired by Elmore Leonard books) and different directors, screenwriters, etc. They could easily have recast the role, but I like that Keaton played him in both.

My favorite lines from Jackie Brown:

"Is she dead? Is she dead?"
    "Pretty much, yeah."

Registered
    Jul 2013

Jackie Brown is great. Did you realize that Michael Keaton plays the same DEA agent, Ray Nicolette, in both that and Out of Sight? Unrelated movies (other than both are inspired by Elmore Leonard books) and different directors, screenwriters, etc. They could easily have recast the role, but I like that Keaton played him in both.

My favorite lines from Jackie Brown:

"Is she dead? Is she dead?"
    "Pretty much, yeah."
    I haven't seen *Out of Sight* -- that sounds familiar, Ray Nicolette being in another movie as a character. Maybe he was in a third movie I did see -- or else just heard about it somewhere. Good catch!

So hard to pick out great lines out of that movie -- that might have been De Niro's last real role. It looks he had fun with it, even if it was not a "serious" performance. Chris Tucker was also great. "Man, I'm home, I'm high, I just got out of jail." "And *why* are you of jail?"

"Got it right here in my Raptor bag!" Still never found out what in the hell that is, aside from a gym bag with a picture of a bird on it.

Never noticed that same little Datsun/Toyota/whatever from *Pulp Fiction* in it -- I think it's Jackie's car. I'm sure that car's had plenty of appearances in those "early" QT movies, maybe in *Reservoir Dogs."

=========================

What in the hell is Dario Argento's problem, anyway? Just saw *Suspiria* and the one about the bird in the title, and just followed it up with *Phenomena* (the best of the three by far). That is some twisted, perverse stuff. I just felt sad for humanity watching those movies -- I couldn't remember anything about the bird movie, although I know I've seen it before. The other two were new to me. I think I saw Aldi Valida's name in that movie *Il Grido* and looked her up and had it in my shelf.

Those movies should not be seen. *Phenomena* was pretty good, but really, just horribly disturbing films. No, I won't spoil the plots -- they're kind of whodunit murderous mystery thrillers.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    ...So hard to pick out great lines out of that movie [Jackie Brown]-- that might have been De Niro's last real role....
    I must beg to differ. He's quite good in very different roles in Limitless and Silver Linings Playbook, much more recently, too.

Registered
    Jul 2013

...So hard to pick out great lines out of that movie [Jackie Brown]-- that might have been De Niro's last real role....
    I must beg to differ. He's quite good in very different roles in Limitless and Silver Linings Playbook, much more recently, too.
    I defer to your judgment -- haven't seen either of those. He was funny in *Analyze This* -- that could have been after *JB*. And *Bronx Tale* and *Mad Dog and Glory* and the *Night and the City* -- no, those were before, when I was in high school. Same rough time period, though. I forgot *Jackie Brown* has been around for a while -- it has a kind of timeless quality about it.

I forgot to note *Phenomena* had a killer Donald Pleasance performance in it. It appears he died about a decade ago. I didn't know he was so old. Or that he was British, really. He's one hell of a fun guy to watch. And Jennifer Connelly was the "girl" -- I know she's pretty famous. She did a good job in what was probably an excruciating film to shoot, especially as a kid.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Mystery solved: "When Ordell Robbie first goes to Max Cherry's office and is asked if he has the cash for the bond, he responds "I got it right here in my brand new raptor bag." Although the logo is partially obscured, it is clearly that of the Toronto Raptors. Actor Samuel L. Jackson was frequently courtside at Toronto Raptor games the season before filming Jackie Brown." From http://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php...e_Brown_trivia.

See what you made me do? I feel like I need a shower after going to a site like that.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*On The Beach*. Very moving movie. Exactly the right thing to lift my mood two days ago.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sorry to say, Mel Brooks's *Silent Movie* hasn't held up for me. I used to think it was hilarious -- like knee-slapping, gutbusting. And it is, especially the way the various actors the trio mouth the exact words in the intertitles. That might be one of those where once or twice is enough.

OTOH, *Eight and a Half* is much more compelling to me, as a statement, at this stage in my life, nel mezzo del cammin. How did Sergio Leone get Claudia Cardinale to rough herself up in *Once Upon a Time in the West,* anyway? She must have owed him a favor.

Registered
    Feb 2009

*On The Beach*. Very moving movie. Exactly the right thing to lift my mood two days ago.
    Great movie, though I haven't seen it in over a decade now. I was amazed when I first saw, sometimes I fall into the fallacy that really good dramas started with the Godfather.
    Sorry to say, Mel Brooks's *Silent Movie* hasn't held up for me. I used to think it was hilarious -- like knee-slapping, gutbusting. And it is, especially the way the various actors the trio mouth the exact words in the intertitles. That might be one of those where once or twice is enough.
    Saw it recently, it has moments but only moments. Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and Space Balls are timeless classics, Silent Movie & High Anxiety not as much.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Fair enough. But I rate *High Anxiety* way up there before *Spaceballs* or *Robin Hood*. The title song alone is worth it! Plus Madeleine Kahn! And a young Barry Levinson!

*La Strada* is kind of a pathetic, horrible movie. I don't like it. *Satyricon* is still just way too long and pointless -- and I like Petronius! ETA *Ronin* kind of lost its luster for me. I used to love that movie, but let's be real, the plot is ridiculous when you already know like all the lines to the movie. It's also bugging me I can't remember the driver's name -- it's something like Chipp something, with a funny spelling. I think he died in some kind of mysterious circumstances. Maybe just a heart attack.

Still, can't beat Jean Reno (Re'no?) and Bobby D and all that opening set-up stuff. "I need some new clothes. Vincent will sortcha out!" "That is what I understood."

Oh, and *La Dolce Vita* -- I don't think I've ever actually seen it all the way through. Much better than my hazy recollections. Still, *Eight and a Half* is the one.

*Reservoir Dogs* still got it, though. I was doing a FB thing with Maria Sharapova picture with, I swear to christ, Alfred Hitchcock and Lawrence Tierney doubles lurking in the background. She puts some weird pictures up on her "timeline." Yeah, so I had to get my Lawrence Tierney fix in.

ETA got it via google! Skipp Sudduth, for those playing along at home. He's kind of an average-joe looking character actor. I know he's been in other stuff. See ya Skipp! Wouldn't want to be ya! EETA oh, he's still alive. Sorry, Skipp -- yes, I wouldn't mind being you. I thought you were dead, for some reason. Carry on! He's not that old, either.

EEETA here's the Sharapova picture: https://www.facebook.com/sharapova/p...247680/?type=1
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 28 Aug 2015 at 08:17 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*Mon Oncle* (*My Uncle*) is a hilarious movie -- don't know why I never saw the Jacques Tati movies. It's oddly disturbing that I happen to resemble IRL M. Hulot, being a childish man who wears a tan raincoat, smokes a pipe, carries an umbrella, and is an uncle. Question: is it supposed to be social commentary that, other than the gang of little bratty kids, the only people who really get along with Hulot in the movie are the assembly-line plant workers in the scenes with the linked-sausage-stuff coming out of the ... whatever machine that has some "polymerization" thing dealy?

Also, apparently there is a dubbed version in English -- but the "ladies who lunch"'s voices alone are hilarious, like something out of a three stooges short.

Also, saw *Dillinger* again -- I think the reason I saw it in the first place might have been because of Lawrence Tierney's infamous antics, as was the reason this time. I'd forgotten everything about it until this time, when it all started to come back to me. Tierney was magnificent, full of the same sangfroid as Dillinger as the US Marines who thwarted that dude in France the other week.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 01 Sep 2015 at 11:59 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Jizz, I can't urge you strongly enough to see Limitless. Probably my favorite film of the new century - smart, funny, exciting and unpredictable:

Recently seen:

Leon: The Professional
    Saw the uncut international version. It was pretty good - a hitman shoot-'em-up with a heart. Both Jean Reno and a young Natalie Portman are excellent in their roles; Gary Oldman was a bit too over-the-top as the villainous DEA agent, though.

Timecop
    Watched this Jean-Claude Van Damme time-travel action/adventure again after many years. Lots of plot holes, but a good B-movie.

Dark Star: H.R. Giger's World
    A recent documentary about the late sf/horror visionary Swiss artist. Filmed mostly in his last years, when he was overweight and quite slow (both mentallyand physically), with interviews of many people who knew and worked with him. Giger was a pack-rat and his house was stuffed with all kinds of cool stuff from his long career. I'd like to have seen more about his production design for the Alien movies.

The Pink Panther Strikes Again
    Sellers is as hilarious as ever. Several times I started laughing during the setup to the gags - didn't even need to see them before being amused. Favorite bit: "Does your dog bite...?"

The Music Man
    I had seen bits and pieces of this big-time 1962 musical but never the whole movie in one go. Overlong but a lot of fun, with great songs. Robert Preston absolutely dominates the screen as "Prof." Harold Hill, and Shirley Jones is pretty good as Marian the librarian.

Registered
    Jul 2013

The Pink Panther Strikes Again
    Sellers is as hilarious as ever. Several times I started laughing during the setup to the gags - didn't even need to see them before being amused. Favorite bit: "Does your dog bite...?"
    Oh, man, "that is not my dog!" That's the one in the Alps w Anita Eckberg or whoever she was and Sellers wearing the guitar around his jock.

It's too easy to get all those movies confused -- they're one long gag, as far as I'm concerned (except for that last one after Sellers died and they used clips -- I think michael Caine was in that one).

ETA Giger docu sounds fun. Yeah, I don't know where he got the xenomorph idea, but I bet he has cool stuff from the ELP album. I have the vinyl for many years, but don't think I've heard it more than once.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right, so *limitless* inspired me to clean my place where I live. So, it's good.

OTOH it's just another movie about I guy who does coke and is like "Yeah! Rawr!"

OTOH, the references to *Sunset Blvd* were kind of amusing.

So, I don't know what kind of movie it was -- nev er did enough C to be part of that world, but enough to know what was going on.

Good movie Cross between sunsteVBlvd and the Jya MacInerney little novel.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That was not meant to be dismissive particularly about *Limitless* -- just my first half-drunken thoughts about it.

Saw a few days ago on a cold, rainy, and windy weekend Hitchcock's *Mr. and Mrs. Smith* -- Carole Lombard, Bob Montgomery. I don't think I've seen that before. It's a really cute movie, and makes me suspect Hitchcock had a pretty good sense of humor about lawyers. Kind of an amusing send-up of partners-in-the-boardroom, and the other kind of partnership.

That and, also this weekend last, rewatching *The Lady Vanishes* (I forgot what happened to the "lady," so I was kind of paying attention also) made me go out and get a copy of Truffaut's *Hitchcock* book of interviews. "You went out that morning and bought yourself a book? --Well, let's just say I have [it]." That's pretty engrossing to read. TRIVIA -- it probably says somewhere (I have the English translation), but I can't find out if the Hitchcock responses were translated TO French, then BACK to English, in a kind of Becketian linguistic thing, or if they recorded Hitchcock and just put down his replies verbatim. Must have been recorded -- pretty in-depth Q&A's, with a good bit of technical language. Now I also wonder if they had one or two interpreters in the room. I'm 100% positive neither Truffaut nor Hitchcock were sufficiently bilingual to talk directly to one another in whatever language. The only question is, one or two interpreters? And, of course, the earlier question about what was translated and how for the books.

ETA oh yeah, and *The Lady Vanishes* is hilarious. I think I remember that much about it, but sometimes a good chuckle is best lived in the present.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I highly recommend giving John Alton (cinematographer)'s *Painting with Light* a read or scan. Looks like I'll have to watch a bunch of movies again, and look at the screen this time instead of listening to the dialogue, mostly.

For example, *The Big Combo* is the most visually impressive film I've seen in a long, long time. And that's after having seen *The Third Man* again a week or so ago. Not just the impressive final scene with the cop's spotlight. Every trick/technique Alton talks about for lighting, particularly faces and human figures, but also streets, neon lights, all the classic noir-isms is in there. Lighting from a high angle to cast a face in an odd way.

I put in *Shadow of a Doubt* to compare this morning a movie in black and white I haven't seen in a while. I don't have anything to say about "standard Hollywood photography," but I'll have to be rewatching a lot of movies. That is a much more memorable movie than I recall, though. especially when you pay attention to the images. Very funny dialogue between the father and his little buddy talking about ways to kill each other. Extremely menacing Jo Cotten, and very wicked dialogue and even subtext between his niece and Uncle Charlie.

It's going to be difficult to watch a color movie with anywhere near the comprehension (dumb but meaningful, to me) of b&w techniques that Alton's simple primer gives out.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Son of a bitch. Alton *did* do *Reign of Terror* the only movie I've seen recently that hooked me visually. For some reason this isn't listed in the book's filmography. Not going to watch that again, soon, though. I know what happens at the end.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Came home last night dead tired, flipped on the TV and Goodfellas was on. Might come as a shock but did you know this movie is great, great I tell you. The third best Mafia movie ever made. Can't believe it is 25 years old already.

Also watched the ending of Close Encounters, it has held up pretty well itself.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Came home last night dead tired, flipped on the TV and Goodfellas was on. Might come as a shock but did you know this movie is great, great I tell you. The third best Mafia movie ever made. Can't believe it is 25 years old already.
    Never heard of it I always used to discount it as a great movie but too recent to be "great" -- it's probably time to untie the gates of canon-guardianship.

What *is* great -- easily one of the lightest and funniest of movies. *The Trouble with Harry*. Never bothered to watch it before. That is fucking funny.

Contrast to Lombard and JStewart in *Made For Each Other* -- nominally a screwball comedy, but the darkest, most unpleasant "comedy." I've ever seen.

However, another first timer for me, finally dug up on youtube *He Walked by Night.* Good little noir.

It's bizarre how much just shifting the visual focus to how things are lit in pictures really opened up my experience of movies. Now I can't hardly take my eyes off the screen, instead of basically just listening.

Oh yeah, the remake of *Poltergeist* probably had the dialogue written by a non-native speaker of English. That said, it's an OK little movie -- I could see spending a dollar on a hot day to kill time watching it in an AC-ed discount movieplex.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Trouble with Harry I remember being fun but I barely remember the movie. I feel like there was a terrible remake in the80s but I am not sure if I recall correctly.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That's one remake I would not pay money to say. I just learned today they did a remake of *It Happened One Night* quite a while ago -- it had........somebody in it. Gearing up for the Halloween season with the afore-mentioned Poltergeist remake, and last night *The Exorcist*. You know, still a great movie (even though they had to butch Ellen Burstyn up, which made it not so sexy-time for me). Not as scary when you've seen it a few times already, though.

I can't remember which one of the prequels I liked better -- I think I liked both of them, but one had a woman sidekick who reminded me of....what's her name, the really good actress who was in *The Mummy* and the recent one where she cuckolds her army-vet husband, the title was a riff off the old "between the devil and the deep blue sea." The other one was

Rachel Weisz. Yeah, my memory is still good! Just slow.

kind of more African-peasant-y and dull.

Maybe the other way around.

SUGGESTIONS REQUIRED for 1970s (maybe 1980s) horror flicks I haven't seen. I've got all your standard ones covered, pretty sure. *Chopping Mall*, *The Omen*, *Amityville*, *Poltergeist*, *Exorcist II* yadda yadda, but, just as with 1970s disaster flicks, there are a lot of blockbusters I'm sure I never got around to seeing.

ETA Oh yeah, yesterday also I resaw Episodes "1" and "2" (with Rifftrax) of the Star Wars things. First time I saw them I didn't really know Star Wars, despite having seen them when I was a kid (except for # "6"), except Jabba the Hut and Ewoks and the robots and the drunken lady actress and stuff.

Recently I saw the trilogy again with rifftrax so I knew who Palpatine and stuff and all that. It kind of makes a difference. I spent the whole movies trying to figure out who the guy with the "Jethro Tull" haircut (yes, I stole that from a rifftrax guy) was, and it didn't really fit together. Too much effort.

I really thought the pod race was cool, though. That was kind of my speed -- sit back, watch some shit blow up, because who cares.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 Sep 2015 at 06:04 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh @whatexit -- u have to see *Trouble w Harry* again. It's hysterical. There isn't really much of a plot to spoil, but for a key to one level of the humor, just keep OK, I have to spoiler-box, can't think of a way to circumlocute.

Anyway, this is just my observation, but I think the way it's supposed to wind up in psycho-sexual ideas:
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    at the end, we have three virgins and a sea (OK, tugboat) captain mated up. "She's remarkably well-preserved." ahem "And preserves are meant to be opened" -- not a witty line, but it's all in the delivery.

Well, it's hard to sum up in lines, and that's only one aspect of the humor, the sexual innuendos and finding out why Shirley was so circumspect about her marriage, and what the .... ahem .... "artistic" fellow whispered in Shirley's ear.

So, it's the delivery, and the fact that every humorous aspect is said in incongruous terms and circumstances.

No real way to sum that up, except that it's about the funniest fucking thing I've ever seen.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*You Can't Run Away From it* is the remake with Jack Lemmon and June Allyson. Damn, my mother even remember the principals' names. Still, can't see Jack Lemmon doing the scruffy, punked scrub like Gable did it. And youtube doesn't have the full movie, so I'll have to wait a while to see how it works.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist* is pretty good, in a really cheesy kind of way. I suppose that makes me a bad man, but I'm not that into Paul Schrader except as a hack screenwriter. Even though his book on....Ozu, Dreyer, and somebody else was...not very thoughtful, even though he squirted it out at a young age.

HOWEVER

*Death Race 2000* belongs right up there with *The Magnificent Ambersons* as a fine movie with a serious political message. Mind you, it's a terrible movie -- it just has a good message, is all.

Registered
    Feb 2009

SUGGESTIONS REQUIRED for 1970s (maybe 1980s) horror flicks I haven't seen. I've got all your standard ones covered, pretty sure. *Chopping Mall*, *The Omen*, *Amityville*, *Poltergeist*, *Exorcist II* yadda yadda, but, just as with 1970s disaster flicks, there are a lot of blockbusters I'm sure I never got around to seeing.
    Try The Legend of Hell House (1973) and Suspiria (1977)

Registered
    Jul 2013

Excellent. Thank you. Hell House looks good and it starts soon. I've already filed *Suspiria* under "what in the hell is Dario Argento's problem," but also a good suggestion.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Suspiria was weird but I like it and it worked. Helps the main star (Jessica Harper ) was hyper-cute in it. Her other big roll was in one of my favorite movies, "My Favorite Year".

Registered
    Jul 2013

No doubt. *Suspiria* was a great movie -- it's just that I think Dario Argento is one fucked-up dude, coming up with all that.

Update: it's *Exorcist: The Beginning* that is the crappier of the prequels.

And it is *Revenge of the Sith* that is the crappier of the prequels.

And it is *Exorcist II: The Heretic* that is the shittiest sequel. I must have buried that one in my subconscious somewhere, but thanks for reminding me of its existence.

Just saw *Criss Cross* (the film noir with Lily Munster in it) again -- I couldn't remember one thing about it, except that I'd seen it. Cute little noir. I think Siodmak (R, not brother curt or however it's spelled) had his own thing. Well, it reminded me of the origina *The Killers* anyway, despite very different Burt Lancaster performances. EEETA something with the photography. Shit, now I have one more thing to obsessively pursue. Watching movies is getting to be more "hobby"ish than I'd like, so I'm going back to my earlier stance -- fuck it, I'm just going to primarily listen to the dialogue.

ETA thanks again *what exit* for reminding me of Argento -- I only know those three movies I posted about earlier, but he'd be a perfect guy to indulge for Halloween movies.

Of course, my Halloween ritual is always to watch *Plan 9* and *Ed Wood* back-to-back, and I see no reason to change that. But this is for the pre-game.

I think I want to go as Howdy Doody/Charley McCarthy or whatever in honor of "Captain Howdy," but that sounds like a lot of effort. EETA two separate dummies! So, just Howdy Doody. Never mind what I thought. I suppose I'd have to have a fist up my ass or something to make it funny, but I'm not going to do that, so just the puppet.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 18 Sep 2015 at 01:08 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

In case anyone is thinking about plunking down some cash for a DVD of *Jurassic Prey* -- just....don't.

I guess if you smoke a lot of "medicinal" marijuana and travel regularly in a short bus, it's great.

*Birdemic* it is not.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*The Legend of Hell House* is fucking ridiculous.

That's the kind of movie that makes its own gravy.

Ridiculous.

Registered
    Feb 2009

*The Legend of Hell House* is fucking ridiculous.

That's the kind of movie that makes its own gravy.

Ridiculous.
    Is that good or bad?

Just saw The Theory of Everything I hate to say, it was pretty darn boring.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't know -- it's just such a horrible movie that it doesn't take a genius to rifftrax it up in one's own head.

Therefore, it makes its own gravy..

Registered
    Jul 2013

I got all wasted yesterday and watched *The Theory of Everything* -- so, thanks for that.

That's a fucking great movie -- I know I've read that guy's pop-sci book, but I didn't know anything about "him" beyond what everybody knows. I'll make a wild guess and say it probably wasn't a documentary, but I was extremely amused.

ETA here's a retarded
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 21 Sep 2015 at 10:20 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I enjoy those rap battles actually.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I enjoy those rap battles actually.
    Who doesn't! Comedy is comedy, in whatever form.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Welcome to reality, *Goodfellas* and Stephen fucking Hawinkgson fans.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right -- saw a bit of *Birdman* again this AM. Yeah, damned right that is one great soundtrack -- a lot of good things about the movie I didn't notice the first few times I've seen it.

Naomi Watts or whatever her name is -- great actress, great sound, great Batman. Great Norton. Great NYC.

Registered
    Jul 2013

*Swing Low, Swing High* -- a comedy with Carole Lombard and Fred MacMurray. Great. McMurray is a two-bit trumpet player, Lombard is a singer. Cute movie.

*Nothing Sacred* -- technicolor screwball comedy with Carole Lombard. First half was cute, but fell asleep.

Also saw *It Happened One Night* yesterday -- no reason why, just wanted to see it again. Gable is the king! I suppose for guys of an earlier generation who didn't have Bieber or Steve McQueen to look up to, Gable kind of helped provide a role model.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Also saw *It Happened One Night* yesterday -- no reason why, just wanted to see it again. Gable is the king! I suppose for guys of an earlier generation who didn't have Bieber or Steve McQueen to look up to, Gable kind of helped provide a role model.
    He seriously hurt the undershirt industry according to legend when he appeared on screen without one. (Of course this may be a legend only)

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I heard that one, but for some reason I thought it was due to some scene in *GWTW* -- he actually did the whole no-undershirt thing in *IHON*, whereas I haven't seen *GWTW*, and probably never will.

Surprisingly kind of a risque' movie, *IHON*.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, I heard that one, but for some reason I thought it was due to some scene in *GWTW* -- he actually did the whole no-undershirt thing in *IHON*, whereas I haven't seen *GWTW*, and probably never will.

Surprisingly kind of a risque' movie, *IHON*.
    IHON was pretty close to the first screwball comedy but far from the best. GWTW I have seen and I do not love it. It is very soapish. I read the damn book too, not a fan at all.

Registered
    Sep 2009

dupl post

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nice contribution, EH. You're just pissed that I thought *Limitless* was an entertaining movie, and not the greatest of the century.

I have to know, whatexit -- what do YOU think is the best screwball? IHON is not my favorite, either -- it's certainly good support for Capra's auteur-hood, and it's amusing. I'd go with *Bringing Up Baby*, *Philadelphia Story* (well, some people call it a screwball comedy, but that's not really how I think of it -- too many characters). TBH, I can't stand listening to Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, whichever Hepburn's voice. I couldn't see myself seeing those again.

I'm going with my main lady, Carole Lombard, in *20th C* with the drunkener of the Barrymores. That may well have been the first, but I'm not much of a film historian -- I just know what I like.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Bringing Up Baby" or "Arsenic and Old Lace" are the best of the Screwball comedies. (IMHO). I agree Philadelphia Story is not really a screwball but it is an awesome movie. Audrey I could listen too or look at, at any time, she is my all time favorite. In fact "How to steal a million" was a pretty awesome Screwball comedy. I can't think of another screwball she did. Many great RomComs but not screwballs.

The great Kate is probably the best actress of all time and Bringing up Baby was as funny as movies gets. African Queen was a great as movies get and Lion in the Winter vs Peter O'Toole and a young Anthony Hopkins was the greatest hamfest of all time.

I have never seen Twentieth Century, though I do think she is pretty damn good in My Man Godfrey.

I love many of the Marx Brother's movies but they all lose points for the song numbers that did not involve the brothers.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well you and I are just going to disagree! (BTW the "Katharaine, Audrey, whichever Hepburn" was a reference to the cartoon *Archer* -- which you would probably enjoy. EH turned me on it, and I've been jizzing every since.)

This makes me a bad man, but I, despite having had a copy of *Lion in Winter* for almost two decades, and despite loving *Becket*, have never got around to watching it....just...too much Kate.

The best Kate Hepburn is in *The Aviator* (who was that, Kate Beckinsale? yeah, I think....no, shit, it was that Cate Blanchett).

HEY! *Arsenic and Old Lace* is not a screwball comedy -- it's an old hilarious stage play that happens to be a comedy.

IIRC, Richard(?) Blake, SJ (which means he's a Jesuit priest -- society of jesus) wrote a good book called something like *Screening America* -- he works through four genres (screwball comedy, gangster, film noir, horror -- something like that). I don't remember exactly, but he had a good introductory portion about the history of politics (Catholic League of Decency was responsibe for a lot of the "Hayes/Breen" code) and how many of these early archetypal genres were codified, in theory and practice.

I gotta know: *Bringing Up Baby* or the Bogdanovich remake *What's Up Doc?*?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, you're probably right, though: *Bringing Up Baby* is the best screwball comedy. Something about Cary Grant just makes it good, never mind plot structure and all that nerd crap.

Somebody might say *His Girl Friday* with Rosyln Russell or however it's spelled -- I don't know, it was never my favorite. Seemed too Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks to me.

*Twentieth Century* is the one that, AFAIK, started it all, though, and it's been too many years since I've seen it. Still got it on VHS!

+ Reply to thread