+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Omnibus movies Q&A thread including trivia

Registered
    Sep 2009

My latest five:

Alien 3
    Ripley gets marooned on a prison planet. Pretty damn bleak, and not nearly as good as the first two movies in the series. Charles Dance (Tywin on Game of Thrones) has a nice role as the prison doctor, though.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
    Terrific naval adventure set during the Napoleonic Wars. Quite an immersive experience - you often actually feel as if you're aboard HMS Surprise. Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany are great as the Royal Navy captain and his best friend, the ship's surgeon and amateur naturalist.

Thor: Ragnarok
    Action, adventure, more humor than usual for these movies, and lots of fun. Favorite line: "I know him! He's a friend from work!"

The Sting
    Finally saw this Depression-era con-artist film from start to finish. A clever plot and fine cast. Robert Redford and Paul Newman are, of course, great together. Robert Shaw plays the scary mobster they try to fleece.

Sense and Sensibility
    Having just seen a so-so stage version of the Jane Austen novel, thought I'd go back and rewatch the 1995 adaptation which Emma Thompson both wrote and costarred in. Just as good as ever - a classic romance with a well-earned happy ending.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Doyle lonerhman, Doyle honnerman.

Lonnegan, sonny, the name's Lonnegan, and don't you forget it, boy.

Tried to watch a bit of that Star Wars VII again with the rifftrax. Had to turn it off. I didn't notice it before, but that movie is really a giant bummer. What's with all the heavy seriousness? Not fun at all.

However Amadeus director's cut (three hours) continues to amuse. I was mainly having it on for the soundtrack -- sort of like listening to the radio, except there's some plot or something and people talking in between. Although, come on, I don't think Mozart really was much like Tom Hulce's portrayal, from what little I know.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've read Hulce's portrayal in Amadeus was relatively accurate; Mozart definitely had his gross, buffoonish side. And yes, it's a great movie.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Watched a bit of Star Trek Generations again. Not a terrible movie, not like the one with the mountain climbing and the jet boots. Also, it's under two hours, which is refreshing to me.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I Am Legend is not a very good movie, and Will Smith is someone I feel I've seen enough of to last a long time.

However, it is 1h40m long, which is a fine length for any action or sci-fi movie to aspire to. It feels like a much, much longer movie, however. At least he got to bestio-murder his dog, though; that was sort of amusing.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Star Trek Generations is a sub-par ST movie, I'd say, although it has one of my favorite funny ST scenes evah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keOU2iF626k

I liked I Am Legend; it had an emotional punch that stayed with me. Its depiction of a ruined NYC, and its score, were both first-rate IMHO.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I just watched Frost/Nixon (2008) last night. Ron Howard directed. Despite Frank Langella looking completely wrong for the role, it was a very good movie. I was surprised, I was expecting less I guess. Sam Rockwell, Kevin Bacon & Oliver Platt were excellent in support.

I liked I Am Legend but not a great movie. Wil Smith is no Vincent Price but much better than Charlton Heston at least.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, Langella looked as little like Nixon as Helen Mirren did Her Majesty in The Queen, but both nailed their roles just the same.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Recently yet-again-couldn't-stand-more-than-first-third-or-half:

Silent Running. Don't know how many times I've tried to make it through this. The music. Bruce Dern. The "In The Year 2000!" style of future. Some bullshit about plants, or whatever.

Under the Tuscan Sun. Yet again, no. Not worth it. I have grave doubts if Diane Lane is ever shown movie-fucking in this one, and if I'm ever curious about it again, I'll just look on youtube. Not worth it.

Ćon Flux. No. Never again.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I thought you meant Run Silent Run Deep (1958) at first. That is a pretty good movie. I don't think I've heard of Silent Running.

Ćon Flux is a terrible movie. Better off finding the weird MTV cartoon instead. I use to like that one, The Maxx, Celebrity Death Match & Daria.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm unsure if any of Brando's voice in The Island of Dr Moreau was not recorded in an ADR studio by an impersonator. Yeah, I heard about some of the stories on the set and whatever, and I've seen it before. It just never fails to be shocking. An awesome spectacle of waste, whose expense probably could have paid for the legal defense for a month of some of Texas and other states' police victims.

I've also started a grisly game with myself, noticing the odd or oddly young deaths of such actresses as Allison HAYES (lead poisoning, age 47), Helga FRANCK (fell out a window, age 30), Margaret TRIGG (laxative, amphetamine abuse, age 43), Marisa MELL (cancer, age 53), Joi LANSING (cancer, age 37-43, unclear).

Well, not really a game, I was just watching one of my favorite "bad" movies, Horrors of Spider Island, which I don't think is ever going to get a good restoration. Helga Franck is pretty foxy in it, actually. I bet some scat-fetish Nazi German asshole pushed her out of the window.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, sorry to say, I've tried twice, but I can't make it past two minutes of (I think it's George Stevens dir.) GIANT. It just looks appallingly boring.

However, I'm happily trying to wade through Run Silent, Run Deep. Kind of sick of looking at "The King"'s mug, but I like war movies, so we'll see.

I'm about crawling out of my skin waiting to see The Disaster Artist. Greg Sestero's book is one of the most amusing pop-culture-throwaway books I've seen in recent years, and, of course, I know The Room so well that I know by instinct when to just shuffle the video player to the side of the screen when one of TOO MANY of the nasty "sex" scenes comes up.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I thought you meant Run Silent Run Deep (1958) at first. That is a pretty good movie. I don't think I've heard of Silent Running....
    A not bad, not great ecology-themed sf movie from the Seventies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-OBV49gvmk
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Running

Registered
    Jul 2013

Thanks, EH, for taking one for the team and giving a thumbnail sketch of....that....movie.

I'll give an update, and say that, while I don't actually understand a whole lot of what's happening in Run Silent, Run Deep, it's directed by one of the great craftsmen, Robert Wise, and is BEAUTIFULLY photographed. You could just about swim in that gorgeous images, every frame seems that it could be put in a gallery somewhere. And one of those all-star casts that doesn't disappoint. Still not a huge Clark Gable fan, nor Burt Lancaster, but I respect their work, and they really do bring some old-school, classic team-work professionalism that you don't see too much.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Forgot to add, What Exit will appreciate the U.S. Navy angle to the filming of Silent Running: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Va..._film_location

+ Reply to thread