+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Omnibus movies Q&A thread including trivia

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2013

Finally a positive. Remember whatever stoner jackass found out Dark Side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz sort of worked out?

Well here's mine. Play sound off Une femme est une femme, and also, within picture, play The Exorcist. It is trippy as hell weird.
    "Now, how about the retardation? How can we demonstrate that the signal is retarded?" -- The Feynman Lectures on Physics 28-6.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Take the Pink Floyd/Oz connection with a pound or two of salt: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...izard-of-oz-em

My latest five movies:

The Abyss
    Enjoyed this 1989 James Cameron sf first-contact adventure all over again. Great cast, interesting story and remarkable undersea scenes.

The Age of Adaline
    A charming sf romance about a woman who doesn't age for decades after being zapped by lightning. Harrison Ford plays a former lover of hers (and the guy who plays a young Harrison Ford is uncannily on the mark).

Deconstructing the Beatles: Rubber Soul
    Another well-done Scott Freiman album documentary, although some of the songs get short shrift.

Obit
    Very interesting documentary on the NYT obituary staff, striving to write worthy profiles of their recently-deceased subjects on tight deadlines (ahem).

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Pretty good Harry Potter prequel, set in NYC in the Roaring Twenties, as British magical-animal wrangler and protector Newt Scamander tracks down several escaped critters and finds his true love along the way.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2013

Baloney sausage on that DSotM -- it really is super trippy. I don't care if it's a coincidence or suggestion of semantic ordering. I think, but do not know, that you have to be under the influence of OTC cold and flu medication to really appreciate it, though.

*The Abyss*. Well, it had Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in it, and Ed Harris. They were good. Always are, in fact.

I think I fell asleep/passed out first time I watched *House of Wax* -- it is a fun little movie. Not anywhere near as good as the Poe/Corman "cycle" with Vincent Price, but it's a start. I liked it better than *Avatar*, speaking of 3D movies, and more than *Jaws 3D* as well.

+ Reply to thread