+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20

Thread: Omnibus movies Q&A thread including trivia

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right, here's the Q part of the thread.

Should one watch Dr. Giggles or Paradox (2017) first?

Yes, this officially a first-world problem, but it is indeed a question of most importance.

ETA that's good about the Wizard of Oz! How about a little fire, scarecrow! Poppies will make them sleep! Even if one doesn't like the movie, it's still such a profound influence on norteamericano culture.

Plus, it's not even a joke: the Pink Floyd thing totally works.

I wouldn't do it to anybody who wasn't already a little bit 'experienced,' but it is kind of a little trip in itself, just for fun.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Aug 2020 at 03:46 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Pink Floyd thing kinda sorta works, but there are far more ways the movie and the album don't synch up than they do. You might find points of commonality with Birth of a Nation and Star Wars if you watched them as you played the album, too. For more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    The Pink Floyd thing kinda sorta works, but there are far more ways the movie and the album don't synch up than they do
    Clearly you didn't start the 180g vinyl pressing at 0.05 s after the the third lion roar of the MGM logo.

Yeah, people mess it up and they just don't get it, man.

It's very precise.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No.

Under no circumstances watch the "movie" called Dr. Giggles.

Just, trust me. Don't even try.

I don't which precise formulation of drugs one has to take to find it amusing. Giggle soup, strong acid, bad weed, uppers, downers, I don't know what, but it would have to be a lot of them, all at once, to find this "movie" amusing.

That is one bad movie.

Don't do it.

And don't let your kids do it.

And don't even think about it.

That should be erased from planetary memory.

So, it's a pretty bad movie, is what the point is.

Just don't.

Don't even look at it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Also, don't bother with Paradox (2017) with fight choreography by the great Sammo Hung.

It's like the others in that series: vast, tedious stretches of sentimental melodrama punctuated by some good fights.

It's like a soap opera except instead of having somebody's twin brother with an eyepatch screwing his brother's wife, it's just...well, it's like that. With fighting.

Registered
    Sep 2009

My five most recent movies:

Logan's Run
    Cheesy Seventies dystopic sf. Looks like it was filmed inside a mall... because it was. I'd just read the book, which is a lot different, and much better.

13th
    Documentary about the 13th Amendment, structural racism, mass incarceration and criminal justice reform. Pretty good, but unavoidably grim.

The Matrix
    Introduced my teenage son to this sf action thriller, and enjoyed it all over again. Great action sequences, a good cast, a nifty if preposterous premise and style out the wazoo.

An American Pickle
    Disappointing comedy, with Seth Rogen playing both an Eastern European immigrant accidentally preserved in pickle brine for a century, and his struggling slacker great-grandson. A few laughs but it could've been a lot better.

Air Force One
    Rewatched one of my favorite action thrillers. Harrison Ford is a heroic and badass POTUS, fighting to take back his hijacked plane from murderous Russian ultranationalists led by Gary Oldman (who's surprisingly nuanced in the role).

Registered
    Jul 2013

The NIght of the Hunter. It's, each time I see it, a little bit more grim and even profound as a social commentary. Rightfully so, most people probably remember Bob Mitchum's performance, but there's quite a bit to the movie. Although I'm not adept enough to describe such Sachverhalte.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really a movie. Not a movie at all.

However, by the middle of the second season, the TV show The High Chaparral seemed to devolve into what some other shows of that rough period did (give or take a few years), like Then Came Bronson or Alias Smith and Jones. Namely a disjointed set of adventures with some kind of weak moral point.

But Leif Erickson, Linda Crystal, the guy who played Ma˝uelito, and even the guy who played Blue Boy were pretty capable.

Cameron Mitchell was the surprise: I didn't know he did anything but bottom-of-the-barrel late-1970s, earl-1980s Z-grade movies. "Buck Cannon" was a super character, and I'm sure was the object of admiration for young kids at the time who thought he was a super-bad, hard-drinking, hard-fighting rogue. Which he definitely was.

In the season 2 episode "No Irish Need Apply," I don't think they even credited John Vernon, although he was the main guest star, and I don't think he was just a rank beginner at acting by that point. Maybe they did and I missed it. Definitely not in the final credits, and I don't think in the opening credits. That was odd. It was definitely him, though.

I do not think I'll be watching the third or fourth seasons, after I acquire the rest of season two.

And, no, don't even ask why I've bothered to seek out the particular TV shows I've mentioned, because I have no idea myself. At various times it seemed like a good diversion at various times.

ETA Oh, and Ma˝uelito turned into just comic relief, and Blue Boy needed a good ass-kicking for remaining such a na´ve puss, especially after all his previous adventures.

////////////////////////////

Oh, after innumerable times, rewatching the Charles Bronson vehicle directed by Don Siegel, Telefon, about Donald Pleasance being a mad KGB operative or something goes around waking up "sleeper agents" in the US by, you guessed it, telephone.

That was one time too many. Nothing against Lee Remick, but her performance was just not credible. Or barely credible. Bronson was OK, though. Pretty understated performance, I suppose like his others.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 15 Sep 2020 at 06:34 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Telefon has been a movie I've wanted to see for a long time but have just never gotten around to.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sorry about the spoilers, then. Actually I don't think I gave anything away that isn't in the first ten or twenty minutes: it's the whole premise of the movie, and the rest is really about the chase. Other than the premise that 1970s-model Lee Remick isn't a very good actress IMHO. And the "chase" likely had more tension in 1970s Soviet-US Cold War, and I won't say anything about how it ends.

It's certainly worth seeing, though: some very cool episodes in the movie, and like 1970s-model Don Siegel pictures, it has at least a few themes and snippets that have persisted in film culture to this day.

It's especially worth it if you fancy seeing middle-aged Sherri North in a hip-hugging housecoat. No spoilers there: Don Siegel in at least one other picture took advantage of the camera to feature her (clothed) backside. She's a super nice lady, and one of the best actresses who ever lived....perhaps only in some aspects, but still.

Most everyone in the cast was excellent. Of course, Harry Dean Stanton, and Pleasance, and a bunch whose names I can't remember. It's just a neat movie.

It's no Charley Varrick, but it's right beside it for 1970s-Siegel movies.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 16 Sep 2020 at 11:18 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh. Update, they did credit John Vernon and several others in the opening credits.

Like I always say to myself, "fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life." But I wasn't and am not drunk, at least!

+ Reply to thread