+ Reply to thread

Thread: US Government Shutdown

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default US Government Shutdown

Well, it looks as though both parties have taken each other over the fiscal cliff and not signed through any spending plans for the US Government forcing it to send all non-essential personnel on unpaid leave.

Yet again, the sticking point was Obamacare as the tea-party rump in Congress have decided that if they can't wreck the bill, then they will make sure nothing happens.

From over here, it has hit the news, but I think most people are waiting to see how quickly they can get together to sort it out. Until then, its business as usual.

Overseas views from here:
    The Guardian
    The Telegraph

So, is anyone affected by it, anyone any ideas how long it will last and who do you think will blink first: Obama or COngress?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Obama won't blink for the simple reason that most people will blame congress for this and thus the Republicans and specifically the Tea Party. This was not caused by Obama and the Dems, this is a Tea Party ploy that is irresponsible and stupid. The Budget Deficit is the fault of both parties but this is not a good way to handle it. The economy was finally looking pretty good and this can do nothing but harm it. Worse it can shake the faith in US T-bills. It is a terrible and dangerous move and not fiscally responsible at all.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I have a friend who works for the DVA who is deemed "essential" and thus not affected, and another who works for the CIA - haven't heard from him yet.

I'm as patriotic as they come, but I'm embarrassed, frankly, when my country's government proves itself incapable of exercising even the most basic functions.

I'm firmly in the President's camp, but even if I weren't, I'd think Congressional Republicans will blink first, as they did in the Clinton v. Gingrich confrontation. Congress's public approval ratings are already very low. Their constituents are going to begin to grumble and then complain when the shutdown affects them personally, and Congress will - perhaps surprisingly quickly - do what it ought to have done all along.

I hope that'll happen well before the deadline for raising the debt ceiling; failure to do so could have seriously bad consequences for U.S. credit and the domestic and world economy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Isn't part of the problem that the people holding up the bills are quite happy to do so, because it plays directly to the people who voted them in.

If so, what reason would they have for blinking first. The Republican party may take a hit, but those people will still have their place in Congress?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Isn't part of the problem that the people holding up the bills are quite happy to do so, because it plays directly to the people who voted them in.

If so, what reason would they have for blinking first. The Republican party may take a hit, but those people will still have their place in Congress?
    If they let the economy falter or an actual default occur, it would probably get most of the Tea Party out in the next election cycle and replaced by more moderate Republicans. Worse yet (in their eyes) in some cases the Tea Party would be replaced by Democrats. They can lose a lot of power in the play. That would be a good thing (IMHO) but not at the cost of killing the recovery.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

America is making Ireland and Britain's politicians seem like professionals. It is such a disgrace and with such bad implications I'm surprised there's not rioting in the street.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It takes an awful lot to get Americans to riot, and even then, only in some places and among some people.

I've asked around among all my Federal employee friends:

Federal prosecutor - on the job
    CIA photoanalyst - nonessential; at home and catching up on his reading
    Coast Guard JAG officer - on the job
    NLRB caseworker - nonessential; at home and doing laundry
    Natl. Park Service guide - nonessential; at home and being Mr. Mom
    Dept. of Veterans Affairs psychologist - on the job

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's weird as most people always look to the USA as a political bastion of democracry and are beginning to wonder who it could tie itself in such a knot.

The only interesting thing will also be that the debt ceiling is due for renewal again in less than a month. I would guess it will all be over by then really.

Registered
    Feb 2009

In most Commonwealth democracies, a situation like this would be resolved by dissolving the Legislature and having new elections. The American system of absolutely fixed elections leads to some interesting results.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well its gone on for a few days now, and some people are beginning to worry. The Stock markets are getting nervy, but it seems that Boehner has already said he wouldn't let it go as far as a default, so I can't this going on for too much longer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This quote from a House Republican seems to give a pretty good idea of the mindset:

“We’re not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

Registered
    Feb 2009

It is a sad state of affairs. I can only hope the electorate wakes up and starts bouncing these Tea Party boneheads out of office, but I know that that is not likely to happen. Also it won't help us in the short term.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It is making America look like a mickey mouse country.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    It is making America look like a mickey mouse country.
    Hey,

We resemble that remark.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Registered
    Apr 2009

Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myglaren View post
    I love it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'd click YES.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks like its getting kinda nervy on Capitol Hill. Only a couple of days left.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow - looks like it al might be over with the Democrats walking away with the prize and the Republicans get nothing.

I somehow doubt they will ever be able to try and hold the debt ceiling to ransom again. They've folded both times now.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Wow - looks like it al might be over with the Democrats walking away with the prize and the Republicans get nothing.

I somehow doubt they will ever be able to try and hold the debt ceiling to ransom again. They've folded both times now.
    You never know, but come February, if they do, the Republicans will lose the house in November 2014. Public opinion is very against them on this one including the business and finance communities. That is the bread and butter of the Republicans and they can't keep screwing with the economy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Even their Koch brother overlords bailed on this, claiming, in the teeth of the evidence, that it wasn't their idea. The amount of rage over the contempt for the basic principles of democracy was quite noticeable, even from a distance.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Even their Koch brother overlords bailed on this, claiming, in the teeth of the evidence, that it wasn't their idea. The amount of rage over the contempt for the basic principles of democracy was quite noticeable, even from a distance.
    I heard that about the Koch brothers and was quite surprised. They seem to be the #1 support for the Tea Party.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A confrontation is averted - or at least kicked down the road - and Uncle Sam is back to work: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/17/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

I sure hope Congress can find common ground and move forward. This kind of artificial "crisis" is stupid, avoidable and self-defeating.

+ Reply to thread