Closed thread
Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32 72 78 79 80 81 82
Results 4,051 to 4,096 of 4096

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins slips into a deep and dreamless sleep, nestled beside Cooper.

Graham finds Mahmoud in their quarters, reading in bed from a datapad. He waves. "Hey, Booker. Welcome back." Graham can see the datapad is displaying the San Francisco Chronicle, well-known for its coverage of Federation politics and Starfleet.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Is everything all right, Velir has asked. "I do not know," Kylah says huskily, then shakes her head and sits back down beside Velir. "I mean... yes. Everything is fine. I am sorry to have taken so long, that was very rude of me. It was just--Mr. Graham needed to speak to me. He... there were some issues with the AMRs regarding how I ended up alone outside the transporter room while Mrs. Hsu was attempting to escape. When I ordered Garcia to back me up, and then Kjaerstad reassigned him to watch videos instead, without telling me."

She picks up one of the poker chips, fingernail scraping along the its circumference. "Apparently no one will be blamed because everything was confusing. That was the gist of it. Graham apologized and took some nebulous responsibility but I do not think... I do not think anything will happen. It will be brushed aside. He means well, I suppose, but..." Kylah finds her vision blurring and she keeps her head low, hair covering her eyes to hide the reaction. "He also... He makes me uncomfortable. He is always... touching me. I am sure he does not intend to make me feel..."

Kylah shakes her head again and gathers her chips into piles. "That is what I meant before," she says, forcing her hoarse voice to lighten. "It is likely my fault. It cannot be a coincidence that such things happen to me. I just have to... change something. It does not matter. Anyway. I have dealt you five cards. The first thing to know about Poker is that there are different sorts of winning combinations of cards, or 'hands.' The person with the best hand wins the pot of chips--these things."

She lifts a pile of chips and lets them clink to the bed one by one. Then she returns to look up at Velir, eyes blinking so that she is no longer tearing up. "I...I am sorry, I just realized I do not know how much or little you know about the game."
    Last edited by choie; 17 Mar 2015 at 12:28 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin closes the hand and places it face down on the bed wondering how he can comfort Kylah without touching her, it seems to be the last thing she wants.

"Ok, poker can wait, let's talk about you for a moment. You said earlier this evening that you bought a dress to try and show me you were a woman, not just a girl." Rangin sighs knowing the next bit is likely to hurt Kylah's feelings but needs to be said. "You didn't need to, I have always thought of you as adult. A peer, a colleague, a friend, someone capable of standing on her own feet, although perhaps not recognising when to accept help." Rangin thinks back to Kylah's sprained ankle and looks down briefly at the leg sticking out from the dress.

Rangin frowns slightly, "I don't know why Ens. Graham keeps putting his hands on, in fact he shouldn't, he has no reason to, and I doubt he would do it to any other member of the crew. You will have to tell him, to ask him to stop, otherwise he is likely to continue doing it. If he doesn't intend it, or doesn't realise what he is doing, then he should be open to being told. I'm also surprised there was a problem with the AMR's, the onus is to be honest in them, to put down what you believed happened. I don't believe he is going to be too happy with me, I pointed out the bullying he did of Mr Wilson, but like you I expect nothing to come of it."

Rangin moves a little further down the bed away from Kylah to allow himself a better view of her. "I'm sorry, you probably don't want this pointed out," he says as he gestures up and down her figure, "but you are a beautiful woman whether you like it or not. You say that there are many who look like you in Starfleet, well I would have to point out that may only be correct referring to your gender. Elas must be a very bright place with so much beauty and dilithium on it," Rangin adds wryly.

Running a hand through his hair, Rangin shifts uneasily on the side of the bed, before sitting up straight and looking Kylah square in the eyes. "Your beauty is not what attracts me to you, " he rushes, hoping he can get the words out before his brain decides he is making a fool of himself and stops him speaking. " It's your vitality, your stubborness, your willingness to stand firm for what you think is right, your prickly personality, you. I could be lost in your eyes and that smile of yours for days, but its the way you act, the way you care that makes me want to be with you, to want to get to know you further."

Rangin takes a deep breath and wonders if he went too far again. "If I have said too much, or hurt your feelings, I am sorry and I will leave if you wish. I would much rather prefer to play poker with you though, if you would still consent to teach me?"
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham is tired, but his mood is buoyed by having wrapped up loose ends from the mission--and particularly how well, all things considered, the conversation with Ens. Kylah went.

"Any news," Graham asks Mahmoud, "or are you still working through the fashion section?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

The way Velir describes her fills Kylah with wonder. She feels warm, and grows warmer still the longer he talks. It is not the usual heat of embarrassment, however; this sensation begins and spreads from deep inside, radiating comfort, relaxation, affection, and... a kind of strange yearning. No, not entirely strange--she remembers something similar with Jan, unfortunately--but that was induced by spores, the wine, and her own vulnerable receptivity toward Jan's own feelings.

But this longing... this is her own.

She is acutely aware that they are on a bed together, and Velir is close enough to touch. Of course she dares not make a move. She is uncertain how he would react--and more, she has no idea how she would react if he actually responded. As much as she wants to be in his arms right now, the possibility of being closer, in a bed, held by him, feeling his weight on her... it is terrifying. Too soon. Too familiar. Too stifling.

Obliterating these dangerous thoughts, Kylah just absorbs Velir's kind and far too generous words. Finally she nods. "Of course I wish to teach you," she murmurs. "And I thank you for all you have just said. I cannot believe you see all this in me, but you would not lie. I... hope you know I feel as you do. Everything good you mention of me, I see in you. Not that I would call you prickly," she adds with a slight, tilting smile. "Very much the opposite. If I am prickly, you are the...the balm that soothes me. I feel peaceful with you. Being with you is like coming home. A better home than I have ever known before."

She immediately regrets that admission--though it is true, it is traitorous, extremely disloyal to Elas and her House--and hastens to add, "At least not since I left for the Academy. As for Mr. Graham and the AMRs and Kjaerstad and all that... I will worry about them tomorrow." Along with the news reports and whatever rumors will be flying around the ship, she thinks uneasily before shaking her head to dismiss them. "Tonight I will devote to teaching you this game. It is best played with more than two people, but for now, I am glad it is just you and I."

Kylah smiles meaningfully at Velir, hoping he understands how very much she means this. "Now," she goes on, more firmly. "We were talking about hands. The best hand you can achieve, with a regular deck and depending on the sort of poker you are playing, is a straight flush. That is five cards in a row, of the same suit, and the higher the better, with the best being the sequence of ace, king, queen, jack and ten. That is called a Royal Flush. It is very rare but to get one is worth the waiting." She hesitates at her words, blushing a bit herself, and quickly turns back to reciting the rest of the poker hands.

Hopefully Velir will not mind waiting for her.
    Last edited by choie; 17 Mar 2015 at 10:52 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mahmoud says, deadpan, "You are such a hilarious guy, Booker. I'm just not sure my heart can take such unrestrained frivolity." He passes the pad to Graham, who sees it features a Chronicle story about a Federation grand jury handing down indictments against Palver, Hardin and the Hsus on multiple felony charges including murder, conspiracy and theft. Palver's company has filed a habeas corpus petition demanding that Starfleet make Palver available to meet with his lawyers; the judge has not yet ruled upon it. Mahmoud goes to brush his teeth and get ready for bed, so Graham next tabs to a Solar Post story (not really noticing that the reporter's name is Clive Walcott) discussing the Starfleet investigation to date. The Yorktown is mentioned, but no individual crewmembers by name.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As Kylah starts to speak again, Rangin begins to relax as he sees that she is not unhappy with his words. He waits to see if she will move closer or respond physically, but is in some ways glad to see that all it has done is bring a smile to her face and colour to her cheeks.

Rangin wants to be closer but knows that it would probably not be the best idea; why further complicate the evening when they are supposed to be just relaxing and unwinding.

Then she begins to describe how to play poker, and Rangin lets her continue. He knows how to play he just wasn't very good at it, but is quite content to let Kylah lead from the start. Of course, he cannot help but openly smile when she mentions a Royal Flush, and he sees blush before continuing on not realising Rangin is looking right at her.

He just hopes she is a Royal Flush worth waiting for, and not a Busted Flush it would be better to fold on immediately. But that was something for another night, as for now all he wanted to do was enjoy this moment.

Registered
    Mar 2012

After as brief an explanation as Kylah can make of the game, she and Velir begin to play. One round turns to two, then four, and she loses count. Kylah purposely avoids active engagement of her empathic powers, but she cannot help but win most of the early rounds; she is getting more familiar with the tiny expressions passing over Velir's face, and the fact that the two them are so close--not just physically but emotionally--helps greatly in determining his bluffs and identifying a 'tell' or two.

Her original plan was been to lose a few rounds, because no man--even one as egalitarian as Velir--wants to lose every single game. However, she discovers that she does not need to try. She may have more chips than he does now, but more than once he has taken a substantial portion of hers. Velir is either brilliant at picking up the game, or...

"Velir Rangin, you have played this before," Kylah accuses him with mock indignation in her tired but playful voice, watching him grin as he scoops up his latest winnings after revealing a mere pair of threes. She is now lying on her side, her head resting on her right hand, which in turn is supported by her elbow. Opposite her, Velir mirrors her pose. "Now why did you let me go through all that when you are no mere beginner?"

"Now I never said that I didn't know how to play, just that I didn't know how to play well." Rangin responds with an amused smile. "My biggest problem was that no-one wanted to practice, they just wanted to remove what money I had in a game, so I decided it wasn't really worth playing that much."

He looks back across the bed feeling quite contented. "Thank you though, your teaching and expertise will no doubt stand me in better stead should I wind up playing with others." He idly plays with the chips in front of him, letting them rattle and fall through his fingers. "And thank you for tonight, I feel much better than I did earlier on."

Sighing contentedly, he looks across at the figure who suddenly blinks her eyes open and flutters them a little more. Rangin smiles, he can see that she has relaxed as well, and the wear of the day is no longer written across her face. However, the last couple of hands have gone his way, not because he was a great player, but because she also looks exhausted.

Instead of dealing out a new hand, Rangin decides to idly chat "You know, I think the last time I played poker was on the Lexington, strangely enough with a group of security guys, exceedingly dissimilar to the ones on the Yorktown, who were happy that I had assisted in some small matter. They were a nice crew, but when it came to cards, they were all business, more so on occasion than guarding the ship. However, they were nice enough to not completely clear me out, when they found out how bad I was. Spent the rest of the evening swapping stories and drinking certain frowned-upon beverages"

Kylah smiles at Velir's tales and lets her hand fall back on the bed as her head sinks down, pillowed by her hair and the flesh of her upper arm. She pays attention to his gentle, lulling voice even though waves of sleep are threatening to overtake her. "So you do break rules sometimes," she murmurs, her lips curling into a wry smile. "Mr. Graham would be surprised. You are not afraid I will reveal your nefarious past? Of course I would not. I am glad you trust me, Velir. I hope some day I can... I wish I could tell you..."

She forgets what she was saying for a moment--in fact, she forgets to continue speaking entirely as another wave of exhaustion hits her and turns her words to an inarticulate mumble.

This day has been nothing but anxiety and anger, and her body--with its muscles tense all day-- seems to have given up at last. She feels loose and liquid. And blissfully safe.

"Tell me about the Lexington," she murmurs, her eyes opening again, having to shift to find Velir again. He is so near, with every familiar curve and plane of his face endearing and pleasing to her. "You were with Lt. Pourtash there, is that so? I want to hear more about you. Do you mind if I just... listen?"

She shifts slightly, one knee bending and accidentally knocking some of her chips beneath her. She waits for him to begin, a tiny sigh escaping her smiling lips, not quite realizing that at some point she has closed her eyes.

Rangin leans back slightly, thinking on old times before he starts, "Of course you can listen, Kylah. So, the Lexington, a wonderful ship served on until the incident at Alpha Carinae. Let's see what stories can I tell." He moves back to look across at Kylah, but her eyes are shut and all he can hear in the silence of the cabin is the steady, gentle breathing of someone asleep in front of him.

The words he is about to say catch in his throat as he does not want to wake her. She looks so peaceful for once, at odds with the rest of the day, that to wake her with be an injustice. Far better to let her sleep. He looks across for several seconds, lost in the sight of her gentle repose, wondering if she knows just how much of a beauty she is.

'I wish I could tell you...' Rangin finds her half-mumbled words teasing his brain--and not in a good way. They had something to do with trusting him, that much is obvious. What did she mean? What is she holding back? Her face is so serene. But her mind is obviously troubled. What with? Should he, can he find out?

Rangin shakes his head, temporarily putting those questions on hold, and considers what he should do next. He stares down at her and a few less-than-noble options cross his mind, especially as he stares at the soft bared flesh of her arm, or even the thigh where her dress has bunched up to reveal more than she would probably prefer. He discards these thoughts as beneath him. He's supposed to be a Starfleet officer and a gentleman now, and this is a veritable princess lying asleep in front of him. Of course, fairy tales would suggest that True Love's Kiss would wake her...

He sighs. No, it's not only inappropriate, but inconsiderate. She may not mind, but Rangin prefers his ladies to be fully awake and receptive in those situations.

Easing himself gently off the bed, Rangin picks up the playing chips and quietly places them back in the bag before gathering up the cards, selecting one face up on top and placing the pack neatly to one side. Finally, he eases out a blanket that was earlier pushed to one side and lays it over the top of Kylah. He sees her instinctively grasp the fabric and pull it in tight around her, all the while remaining in slumber. She mutters a few words under her breath, but Rangin cannot quite pick them out.

Standing up, he turns off the lights and heads for the exit. As he reaches it, he looks back. "Sleep well, sweet princess," he whispers to the form now hidden in shadow, wondering if she'll find the card upturned on the deck of cards, and if she'll understand its meaning, before exiting the quarters and heading back for his own.

Throughout the corridors, Rangin's thoughts again turn to Kylah's almost-confession of something unknown. I wish I could tell you... Then there is those mysterious reports about the resort investigation he still hasn't read. And the fact that he knows so little about her, just as he pondered earlier tonight. He begins to walk more quickly.

Time to find out more about those news stories.

Kylah sighs and turns in her empty room. Her hand moves forward and, eyes barely open, she sees the card in front of her. Smiling dreamily, she whispers Velir's name and falls back into sleep even as her fingertips caress the card: the Queen of Hearts.
    Last edited by choie; 18 Mar 2015 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Credits: Velir by CIAS, Kylah by choie, natch.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shakes his head after reading the paper. What a mess, he thinks about the events on OC3 and the cast of characters indicted. But he's pleased that the stories about the Yorktown and specifically Ens. Kylah seem to have come to nothing.

Once he's in bed, for a change his dreams are not about dark memories from his own past. Instead, Bennett and St. Croix, in full pirate regalia, are dueling in flamboyant swashbuckling style back and forth across the deck of an 18th Century ship.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 19 Mar 2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Edited at g-u's request.

Registered
    Feb 2009

When Rangin gets back to his quarters, he nods to Ens. Gordon and settles down for the night. After checking what his rota is tomorrow, some new experiments in the morning followed by Dr Villa's psychic examination later on, he pulls down the latest news reports to see just what has been written about them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ens. Charles Gordon, a black American, deuterium fuel specialist and Rangin's bunkmate, brightens when Rangin comes in. "Hey, Velir - how are you? I heard a little about your mission. Pretty big news. Everything OK now?"

Rangin sees he is due to stand a watch from 0800 to 1600 tomorrow in Xenobiology Lab 2. His psi testing in Sickbay is scheduled for 1615. He finds the best coverage on FedNewsNow, learning much the same as Graham had earlier. Another development: former Federation Councillor Rafael Quinones of Juarez VIII has, according to a "highly-placed source at Starfleet Command," been preliminarily identified by Le Figaro as the "Q" from Wilson's files who was the recipient of payoffs. Before his retirement earlier this year, Quinones was a key member of the Starfleet Affairs Committee. Quinones, in a written statement, denied any wrongdoing and was reported to be meeting with his lawyers.

Like Graham, Rangin sees several references to the Yorktown in coverage of the high-profile investigation, but no mention of any of his crewmates by name.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin nods back across to the stocky fellow. "Yes, it's very big news indeed, we wound up stumbling into. It's going to be months before they work out everything that happened, we only touched the tip of that particular iceberg. I can confirm that the resort and the planet are excellent though. Everything fine, there may be a few repercussions outstanding, but it should settle down now. At least I hope it does."

As he reads the news, he lets out a low whistle at the possible revelation of who the mysterious "Q" figure may be. They had been lucky to find out about Hardin, but they would have had no chance of finding some retired Councillor in a far corner of the galaxy.

After browsing through them, Rangin settles down to sleep, deep and dreamless.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Shipboard "night" passes uneventfully as the Yorktown sweeps along in standard orbit.

You wake to find a shipwide announcement from the Captain in your comm accounts, along with more minor news items and orders of the day:

DISCIPLINARY REPORT
    Based upon a close review of the After-Mission Reports of all personnel assigned to the landing parties on Omicron Ceti III since our arrival, and after due consideration, the following demotions and reassignment are hereby ordered:

DELANEY, James, Engineering. Officially reprimanded and demoted from Lt. JG to Ensign, due to errors in judgment which placed a shipmate in potentially mortal danger. Also reassigned from Asst. Chief Engineer to Engineering Specialist.

KJAERSTAD, Haakon, Security. Officially reprimanded and demoted from Lt. JG to Ensign, due to errors in judgment and disobedience to orders which placed a shipmate in potentially mortal danger. Reprimand and demotion appealed to Starfleet Command, but both duly confirmed by ZEISER, Thomas M., Vice Adm., Starfleet Office of Personnel. No reassignment.

This is a fine ship with a fine crew, and we have much to be proud of in the successful conclusion of our role in the Wilson and Hardin cases. However, as ever, serious errors have serious consequences. Starfleet, and the people of the Federation, expect no less from us. I am confident that we will all learn from this, and do better in the future.

Carry on.

SINGH, S.P., USS
    Yorktown, commanding
    Stardate 6011.7
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 19 Mar 2015 at 11:28 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Having spent the night in the first decent night's sleep since before the Sakathian mission, Kylah showers and dresses before taking a look at her comm account. When she sees the announcements, her emotions war with one another.

The news of Delaney's punishment saddens her: she would have expected a reprimand for his carelessness, but not such a significant demotion. She gnaws at a thumbnail, feeling a measure of guilt. Should she have been less harsh regarding the incident in her report? It cannot just be my word, she tells herself hopefully. Graham must have said something as well. Although... it just says that he endangered 'a shipmate.' Both Graham and I were in the same position... She does not know what if anything to say to Delaney when she sees him.

Kjaerstad, on the other hand... This result shocks her. Her immediate reaction is a swell of vindication and relief. The more Kylah mulls this over, however, the more uneasy she feels. She does not object at all to the punishments; both seem just. She is not comfortable with not having learned why Kjaerstad behaved as he did. She would have expected a meeting, even a hearing, where she could learn what the lieutenant--now the ensign--had been thinking. With Graham certainly not having backed her up in his AMR, Kylah wonders why her word was taken over Kjaerstad's. Perhaps Garcia said something, she guesses, reaching to tap her keypad and close out of her account.

Still, Kylah cannot help her fierce curiosity regarding why Kjaerstad behaved as he did. Why did he place her in such a dangerous position? There must have been a reason. But now she dares not confront the man. To do so might look as if she is gloating. He is likely angry enough; the fact that he appealed the decision makes it clear he feels no remorse.

She purposely does not look up any news items about the investigation. If anything new occurs she will learn of it soon enough. Besides, the truth is, she is starving. Having skipped dinner last night, Kylah needs to get a decent breakfast. And perhaps see Velir again, she thinks. Before she leaves her quarters, she takes the Queen of Hearts card from her night table and hides it in her belt. The memories from last night keep her smiling all the way to the mess hall.
    Last edited by choie; 20 Mar 2015 at 12:20 AM.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins has been awake for about a half hour, watching Ben sleep. It's still a few minutes before she has to get up, but she wants to enjoy this comfort as long as she can.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin looks at the morning report in surprise. He had mentioned to Gordon last night there might be repercussions, but this is not was he had expected.

He had found out about Lt., well Ens. now, Delaney's actions after the event but hadn't really expected more than a stern warning given everything else he did on the mission. Kjarestad, well that was a different matter, though Rangin does suspect he is being used as a scapegoat as Security, in general, had not been at its best and brightest on the planet. He wonders if Coringu and Garcia gave differing reports as they had been covering the same thing when Kylah had been heading into danger.

On the other hand it looked like everything the rest of the team had done was all in a day's work, despite the situation, so no cookies on offer to them.

Didn't matter now, the mission was more or less over and he had other things to do, experiments to run, things to find out, secrets to uncover.

Rangin thinks back to last night with Kylah and smiles, now there is a mystery worth solving.

With first shift at 8am, he's out of the quarters early for a hearty breakfast to see what the new day brings and heads straight for the mess hall.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is sitting at a table alone, doing a good job of devouring a massive plate of scrambled eggs, fruit salad, a thickly buttered muffin, water and her beloved hot chocolate. Thanks to her hunger, she knows the food will not be wasted--the primary problem is keeping herself from eating too fast.

After popping the last morsel of the muffin into her mouth and licking her fingers, she looks up while chewing and sees Velir enter the mess.

At once Kylah grabs a napkin and wipes her hands and lips before trying to meet his gaze. He probably has friends to eat with, and she does not wish to crowd him by becoming too omnipresent, but she certainly owes him gratitude for last night.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cooper wakes up and sees Collins looking at him. He smiles and pulls her closer for a kiss. His hand moves from there to her hip, which he gently strokes.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham whistles softly when he reads the disciplinary report. He's a bit surprised by the harshness of the penalties: in both cases, he would have expected remedial training (and he chides himself a bit for not recommending that).

Although in Kjaerstad's case, he thinks, if he failed to apologize to Ens. Kylah I would indeed have concluded he either doesn't 'get it' or has the wrong attitude to be a good officer.

He wonders if there was some disciplinary history with either or both of them. He's not sure if he should have checked into that--if I had would it have changed my report? I guess I didn't expect to be in command so I hadn't asked about the protocol...

He makes a mental note to ask Collins or Vargas when he has a chance.

Then he wonders about why his own name isn't in the report. I can't imagine Rangin had anything good to say in his AMR, he thinks.

He checks to see if he has any immediate assignment. If he's at liberty, he gets in a workout before breakfast--he decides on the good old heavy bag--and then swings by the main mess to eat afterward.
    Last edited by general_urko; 20 Mar 2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin looks round as he enters the mess. Given the Captain's notes that came out this morning, he doesn't really feel like sitting next to anyone in Security, but fortunately, he can see Kylah looking in his direction. It occurs to him that he ought to explain what happened last night after she fell asleep, that is nothing, but also what her thoughts were on the Disciplinary Report.

He nods to her, noting the empty chairs and heads off to find a large cooked breakfast and associated mug of coffee before heading across to her.

"Would you mind if I joined you?" Rangin asks Kylah when he arrives.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Please do," Kylah says, trying not to show too much affection in her gaze--but it is difficult to hide the fondness engendered by Velir's typically polite request. How could he think she would mind?

She waits for him to be seated, then adds softly, "I think I owe you an apology--and my gratitude. I cannot remember exactly what happened but I believe I fell asleep while you were talking. It was not due to the company, I assure you. I was just so tired. I did not mean to be rude."

Lifting her fork again, she idly moves her eggs around the plate, pretending to pay close attention to them instead of Velir. "And thank you for... well, everything. The game, the conversation, the... the blanket." Her gaze lifts to hold steady on his. "For the first time in weeks I did not dream of the Sakathian creatures. I slept well because I dreamt of you."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jeremi returns Ben's kiss. She puts her hand on top of his hand on her hip, to caress it and to guide it away from where it might wander. "We have watch in 30 minutes and I need coffee." She kisses him again, then slides out of bed, grabs her satchel and clothes and goes into the head.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cooper frowns good-naturedly but doesn't insist. "Coffee it is, then," he says, grabbing his things. "I'll meet you in the Mess Hall in a few minutes."

Graham doesn't go on watch for another hour.

Over Rangin's shoulder, Kylah sees Delaney enter the Mess Hall. He sees her, looks away and goes to the replicator slot to get his meal.

You hear a bosun's whistle, and then Singh's voice sounds throughout the ship. "All hands, this is the Captain. We have new orders from Starfleet and will be breaking orbit in two hours. All departments, prepare for deep space. Thank you. That is all."

Moments later, each of you get a message on your communicators and shipboard comm accounts, asking you to meet the First Officer in Conference Room 1 in 15 minutes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Once dressed, Collins double-times it to her cabin, tosses her satchel on her bunk, then to the mess hall to meet Cooper. She stops at the replicator for a protein bar and coffee in a travel mug. By the time she spots Ben, it's time to head to the Conference room. She hurries up to him, kisses him on the cheek, "Captain's orders, new mission meeting. Dinner?" and makes a dash for it as soon as he responds.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham unties the wraps from his hands. Heavy bag will have to wait. It crosses his mind that Vargas might want to see him because of the last mission.

He chuckles out loud softly, wondering what might have been in Rangin's AMR. Vargas is a tough old bastard, he thinks. Maybe Rangin's AMR will earn me an atta boy: 'Ens. Graham used a security camera to check in on a member of the landing party. Ens. Graham was mean to a murder suspect. I am also fairly certain Ens. Graham may have hurt a fly.'

He pulls his hair into a pony tail and puts on his uniform. On his way he stops to grab a quick coffee and...a donut. Breakfast of safety officers for hundreds of years, he muses.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cooper says, "Of course," and returns the kiss, with interest.

Graham is surprised to find that the shipboard donuts are quite good - the whole-wheat glazed and blueberry ones, especially.

Cmdr. Vargas and the chief investigator, Cmdr. Jadwiga Kalinowski, meet you one by one in the conference room. At Kalinowski's request, each of you swears a short, recorded affidavit specifically as to your personal knowledge of admissions by - and the evidence against - Palver, Hardin and the Hsus. "Before this case goes to trial, these affidavits will be useful to show to defense counsel," she says. "They might even lead to plea agreements."

Graham knows - but does not say aloud - that the affidavits might also be admitted at trial if anything happens to him and his shipmates in the meantime, such that they were unable or unavailable to testify. The Yorktown has been known to go in harm's way, after all.

Kalinowski then shakes each of you by the hand and thanks you for your work on the case; Vargas murmurs something similar. If you have any questions for either, now seems an opportune time to ask.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Mar 2015 at 10:55 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

n/m - ninjaed by the GM

In Kylah's affidavit, in addition to all her other statements, she includes her beliefs about the Trimalchio crew--despite allegedly having been cleared of responsibility--may have been responsible for the subspace attack on the resort security. She also suggests the possibility that Lt. Palver, from the research lab, might have been responsible, not to mention he could have also been the source of the epinephrine that may have been used to eradicate the spore effects from the other suspects--given that there might be some distant matrimonial link between him and Fellim Palver.

She adds that there is still no explanation for the fact that according to Lt.--now Ensign--Kjaerstad and Lt. Ferguson, the transporter signals in Fastolfe's house were dated at least a full day before Hardin arrived--and as many as three days before their arrival--which belies the so-called evidence that Hardin was responsible for the transports. Of the currently known conspirators, only Fellim Palver and the Hsus were on hand to have used the transporter to send anything to Fastolfe's house.

Finally, she asks to speak to Vargas alone, if he has a chance.
    Last edited by choie; 20 Mar 2015 at 11:10 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham decides it's not the best time to make a joke about the fact that in Security affidavits for ongoing cases before you shipped out on your next mission were often called "Kirk-a-davits" as word got out that any redshirt assigned to Capt. James T. Kirk's Enterprise ought not to leave any loose ends behind.

Speaking of loose ends... Graham realizes there are still a lot of outstanding questions, but he's comfortable leaving it to Kalinowski and her team. He'd had a partner once--smart little guy, kind of like a more practical version of Rangin--who'd told him "I get your M-O, Booker, you're a 'get 'em off the street' type of guy, not an 'Hercule Poirot' sleuth-type. It suits me fine," hed said. "You draw the bad guys' fire and keep 'em out of my way while guys like me sift through the details."

Graham's sure the forensic accountants, specialist interrogators and prosecutors will puzzle out all the details.

He's certainly not going to air any Yorktown dirty laundry in front of Kalinowski, so he saves any questions he had in mind for Vargas for another time. He politely acknowledges the senior officers' thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is proud of Graham, Rangin, Kylah, and T'Var for what they each contributed to the investigation, but is not convinced that her limited involvement helped at all. She nonetheless smiles at the right times and nods when appropriate.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin signs his affidavit and acknowledges the thanks from the senior officers.

Once done, and while the group is still there, he heads across to the former LT JG. and now Ens. Delaney to how he is doing.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The group is not still there; each of you met one at a time with Vargas and Kalinowski. Delaney has left by the time Rangin emerges from the conference room.

Vargas agrees to meet half an hour later with Kylah in his office. "Yes, Ensign?" he asks after she takes a seat.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah sits and clasps her clammy hands tightly together to keep from fidgeting. "First, sir, I want to apologize for my errors and inadequacy during this mission. I want to assure you--and I will assure Lt. Thalen as well--that I will work hard to improve my skills and avoid the mistakes I made during the investigation. In particular, I regret the questioning of the witnesses and suspects, where I believe my failure to obtain whatever information they might have provided me was due to my being too emotional, impulsive and inexperienced. I fear I seemed to engender hostility and truculence where I wished to inspire confidence and trust. It was ineffective and I regret that my interrogations were not more fruitful."

"The same problems..." She hesitates, then forces herself to go on. "The same problems hindered me at the end of the mission, when Mr. Palver held us captive. I believe my behavior was unworthy of... not just a Starfleet officer, but of an Elasian woman. I was of no use to my comrades, short of trying to draw Mr. Palver's attention to me--and in the end I do not know if that worked or not, since I was, to my shame, unconscious." Her ability to hold Vargas's gaze falters, and it takes a few seconds for her to face him again. "The circumstances triggered... something of which I am not proud. I was overwhelmed by fear and powerlessness.

"Those are not excuses, sir, but reasons. If you can recommend any training that will help me conquer such reactions, I would be very grateful. If not--and I understand it is not your role to tutor a callow officer in such things--I will nevertheless work on being better prepared. On being stronger-willed. I do not want to lose control ever again." She emphasizes the words both for Vargas and herself. "There is more, sir, if you will allow me the time."
    Last edited by choie; 22 Mar 2015 at 12:51 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The First Officer nods. "I commend you, Ensign, on your willingness to acknowledge your own shortcomings, as well as your courage in being willing to either praise or criticize your shipmates, as appropriate. That reflects well on you, and on your uniform. I've always believed we learn more from our mistakes than from what we get right. Misplaced loyalty can also blind us to necessary change. Your handling of the situation in the resort's transporter room, and your capture of Mrs. Hsu, are much to your credit. Although it's clear that you also had some problems and made some mistakes on this mission, I suspect you've learned from them, and that you'll be even more effective in the future. What else would you like to tell me?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Mar 2015 at 02:17 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var looks forward to putting this mission behind her and beginning a new one.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins starts her watch. The happiness she felt last night has dissipated and it's now just another day aboard the Yorktown. She wonders what the next mission will be about, and if she'll be included in the core group.
    Last edited by anyrose; 22 Mar 2015 at 03:03 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is encouraged by Vargas's words, and she gathers her thoughts before continuing. "Thank you, sir. Regarding my criticisms of others, I hope you do not mind my saying so, but I want to thank you for taking my report about some of the lapses in command into consideration. I must admit I did not believe there would be any reprimands, and I only hope... I hope the lapses were not my fault. To some degree I feel the failures were my responsibility. I regret not having risen to the challenge and opportunity granted to me by Ensign Graham, when he put me in temporary charge of operations at the resort. I--" Her mouth is dry and she tries to clear her throat. "I think I would have been shown more respect if I had earned it. I did try, but clearly I fell short. I know it is unlikely that I will be in a similar position in the near future, but regardless, I will strive to be ready, next time, for whatever requirements are placed upon me."

She wants very much to wipe the perspiration from her hands but does not move other than to lift her chin slightly. "Finally, sir, while I did not rise to the occasion as I wish I had, I believe others did. First, I would like to stress that Mr. Graham was enormously helpful when I was alone in the transporter room area. If he had not taught me how to properly enter and sweep a room, and guided me through that process before I had to blast the door open, I would have found it very difficult to continue.

"I do not know if you have plans to... to make any recommendations for promotion, or add any commendations for noteworthy achievements, but... if it will help at all... I would again like to stress the fine work done by Ensign Velir Rangin during the mission. During the investigation, I believe he was more effective at maintaining focus and unit cohesion--as much as anyone could--than anyone else, including the two mission leaders, with all due respect to their greater experience.

"Before Lt. Collins became indisposed, she was already showing what I now believe were signs of her--her medical condition. When her illness distracted and hindered her decision-making abilities, Ensign Rangin was the one who stepped forward to advise her, to re-convene meetings that had been ended abruptly before all members of the landing party had reported. He discreetly guided her and helped us all keep on track to follow our original assignment, which at the time was simply determining the eligibility of WR&R for contract renewal.

"And once our objective changed to a criminal investigation, Mr. Rangin continued to display extraordinary qualities of leadership, within the parameters of the proper hierarchy. His methodical persistence was responsible for obtaining some of the most important evidence; his display of calm strength and loyalty gave me much-needed support when I felt out of my depth when I was in control of operations at the resort. And above all, his bravery and what I can only imagine was extraordinary mental control allowed him to escape Mr. Palver's clutches and singlehandedly take him into custody, saving both me and Mr. Graham from... at the very least... brainwashing. All in all, I wish I could have displayed such qualities, including grace under pressure, which I believe make him worthy of a higher rank than he possesses."

Kylah looks down, again wishing she had been more useful in the mission. "Perhaps all these things are to be expected from a Starfleet officer, and do not merit any special recognition. In my limited experience I found them extraordinary, but I am aware it is certainly not my place to say whether Mr. Rangin should receive notice or not. I just... I think it would be inspiring to me, and to others, to see such qualities recognized in some way. Forgive me for being so forward, sir. That is all."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin looks around sadly for Delaney wondering how bad the guy must feel after that demotion, probably really cut up given the circumstance.

Not seeing him, Rangin heads off for his next shift in Xenobiology and drops him a message asking how he's doing, all the while wondering if Palver might have had more effect on the group than expected. After all, Rangin had suspected Delaney at one point of being involved. What if that suspicion had come from Palver? What if Delaney's hastiness was provoked by Palver.

Rangin shook his head, there were so many things you could guess and double guess about what happened, the best thing to do was accept that it had happened and live with the consequences. Rangin wonders if she ask Dr Villa that afternoon, if they had any way they could detect Fellim Palver's influence? But then what if everyone had been affected, how would they know what thoughts and actions had been theirs and what had been controlled.

What if Palver had made him act like an idiot in the nightclub. Rangin crushes the thought down hard, not just because it was embarrassing, but because it was looking for an excuse, for something he had done. No, what had happened, had happened and he had to live with the consequences regardless.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vargas makes some notes on a data tablet and says, "Thank you, Ensign. I don't expect any promotions or commendations to come from this mission, but I'll keep your views in mind in speaking with the Captain. Carry on."

Collins is assigned to the Bridge's Security station, but there is little to do at the moment. The Yorktown remains in orbit of Omicron Ceti III.

Delaney responds to Rangin's message about an hour later: Thanks. Not a good time for me, obviously, but I appreciate your thoughts. DELANEY.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Vargas and leaves, not entirely satisfied but glad she did her part to help Velir's talent get some recognition, even if it appears only Security officers are entitled to plaudits on the Yorktown as long as Vargas is First Officer. At least I am unlikely to be placed on another mission any time soon, she thinks with relief. She needs to keep her head down as best as she can.

That said, Kylah has every intention of finding out exactly what Kjaerstad's rationale was for placing her in harm's way. And I must also see how Delaney is doing, she knows, unsure which goal is more uncomfortable. She hopes Delaney will not blame her. Her final task to close out this mission must be to report to her uncle. If Aldaan has heard any of the reports yet, he will be livid if Kylah does not send him her version of events as soon as possible. The prospect is daunting. If the last mission's report required her to compose only a song to transmit her code, this one may need an entire symphony.

Sighing, she checks her comm account to view her day's schedule and to see if she has any watch duty. Then she will go wherever Thalen has assigned her.
    Last edited by choie; 23 Mar 2015 at 01:11 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah is due to stand a watch in the Communications Center on Deck 6 at 1400.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Seeing that she has a little time before her watch begins,* Kylah hurries to her quarters to begin composing her coded message to Aldaan. With the requisite bowl of water by her side, Kylah dips her fingertips to moisten them and prepares to strum the delicate crystal strings of her zither. She does not start the message right away, however; instead, troubled, she lets herself play an old, soothing Elasian melody. Her head must be clear before she can decide what exactly to include.

Her Guardian will likely have heard the news of the corruption allegations in Starfleet by the time her message gets to him, so she does not want to waste much time repeating what he already knows. Confirming what she knows will take up little of her song.

After some thought, she remembers something that might not make the news reports: the link between Hardin and the non-Federation Hwuen. Kylah does not recall having been asked about that little nugget of information at all. The very fact that the Hwuen are not members of the Federation makes them potential Klingon allies--and if they have inside information of Hardin or others highly placed in the Federation, they could be quite valuable ones at that.

But even as her fingers automatically move into the right positions to encode this information into a melodic line, Kylah finds herself reluctant to play. The Hwuen frighten her. She understands the Klingons; she understands her own people. The Hwuen... There is something unsavory about them. She cannot forget the chaos that had overtaken her when she 'accidentally' touched Prolun Jaxo. Not to mention the implications about how disturbing their own recreational practices are. If Aldaan truly does convince the Council of Nobles to switch allegiance to the Klingons, are the Hwuen a civilization Kylah would want to have as allies?

She can almost hear Aldaan's answer to such a question: Better allies than enemies.

Her duty is clear: she has no choice but to include them in her message, especially if the news does get out. Aldaan will assuredly wonder why she failed to mention something of such obvious importance.

Kylah closes her eyes and, sighing, begins to play the first notes, the sound ringing sweet and pure and utterly unlike the words they secretly contain.

* I presume
    Last edited by choie; 24 Mar 2015 at 01:23 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As Rangin arrives in Xenobiology he nods at the others already working in the science offices and heads across to the area to find out what Lt. Cmdr. Roble has in store for him.

Looking around the office, Rangin thanks his lucky stars that he's back in one piece again unlike last time, unlike Lt. JG. Fujishiro. He briefly glances at each of those working and wonders which one of them is likely to take her place as Assistant Science Officer instead. Each of them likely to be a far more worthy candidate than he would be, but he is saddened on how little he knows them as well as he wants to. Then again, it has only been a few weeks since he arrived and, if anything, he is the outsider amongst the group. That would have to change.

Of course, they aren't the only things he wants to find out. Thoughts of Kylah send a shiver of pleasure across his shoulders tempered by the fact that he doesn't know that much about her either. She is definitely more secretive and she was scared about mentioning something. Rangin sighs wondering what it could be she was so close to telling him.

So just like revealing the results of the experiments he is about to undertake, he is going to do the same with Kylah and find out who she really is. He hopes it's easier than it might be if someone tries to find out about him. More importantly, he hopes he isn't going to be repeating history. This time he is going to learn from it, not repeat it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah does have some time before her watch begins. She may discuss the Hwuen in a supplemental AMR, if she didn't do so in her original submission.

Rangin's Science colleagues nod or say hello as he enters. Roble, he sees, has asked him to review the last three months of the major Federation xenobiological journals to see if there is anything that might be of use.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Mar 2015 at 04:41 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's content--in point of fact, relieved--to report for whatever his duty assignment is onboard for the day.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As his watch begins, Graham is asked to take inventory of the secondary hull's four arms lockers' contents, a relatively mindless task that goes without incident. No phasers are missing, fortunately.

The Yorktown breaks orbit on schedule, bound for the heavily-populated Federation world of Anubis. Details of the next mission have not yet been announced. Collins is on the Bridge to see Omicron Ceti III fall behind and dwindle on the viewscreen as the starship heads out of the system and into deep space.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mission #4 has begun: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...ex-Aelyrr-quot

Please consider this thread closed.

Closed thread