Closed thread
Page 61 of 82 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,050 of 4096

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin makes his way to the CP, keeping to covered areas as best he can but getting a little wet when he has to cross an open plaza. The rain begins falling more heavily, and thunder rolls across the sky again.

Just as Graham and Kylah are heading for the door, Graham's communicator beeps. He flips it open; it is Delaney, who says excitedly, "We cracked those two encrypted files, Mr. Graham. This is huge. Both are collections of correspondence and financial records going back years. 'Co Bd' is about the WR&R corporate Board of Directors; it appears to show bribes paid by Wilson to key board members; looks like he hoped to join the board himself. The other is even better. It turns out 'H S misc' refers to 'Hardin Starfleet miscellaneous.' Wilson was bribing the Comptroller General, first to secure the franchise here and then to get it renewed. Looks like they had a falling-out, though."

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

"Secure those files, Mr. Delaney," Graham says, at the same time he's drawing his phaser and turning around to face the Admiral. "Please keep your hands in the open and refrain from any sudden moves, sir."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hardin's hands are already in the pockets of his battered old cardigan. He smiles a little ruefully, and...

...the world goes black for Graham and Kylah.

Eventually both regain consciousness, sprawled on the floor where they stood. Hardin is not there.

Registered
    May 2013

"FUCK," Graham says with conviction, reaching to find his communicator before wasting time standing up.

"Graham to Yorktown and personnel on OC3, Admiral Hardin is dirty, armed and dangerous, and a flight risk. Stand by for details."

"Landing party sound off with status and location," he says, switching channels.

While he waits for a response he turns to look for Kylah, starts to get up and asks "Are you OK?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin holds slightly by the entrance as he gets in, looking back at the rain and shaking himself off, not wanting to traipse water across the floor.

He looks outside ruefully, thinking that any chance to get some final readings from the murder site are probably gone now.

As his communicator goes, Rangin can hear the urgency in Graham's voice and he answers it quickly. "Rangin here; Status fine; Location, I'm at the entrance to the resort across the plaza from the transporter."
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Yes," Kylah says, and stands up.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods, relieved--and also feeling awkward about not being in a position to help her up.

"Secure that transporter room, Mr. Rangin," Graham snaps. "It sounds like you're closest." He pauses. He acknowledges that he doesn't know Rangin well, but he feels at least some cause to be concerned about giving him this order and putting him in an untenable situation.

He slows his voice down and softens his tone. "Look, I don't know if you have any compunctions about using your weapon, Mr. Rangin--Hardin hit us with some sort of stun field out of the blue. Light stun shouldn't do any permanent harm to him--just, ah, err on the side of caution, OK? I'll send Security to relieve you as soon as I can."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham checks the suite's living room chrono and sees that he and Kylah have been unconscious for almost ten minutes.

Capt. Singh calls down from the ship, and asks, "What's happening, Mr. Graham?"

The other Yorktown personnel on the surface check in. Delaney and Lt. Garcia are still in Wilson's office. The two guards are still outside the door to Hardin's suite; two others are still with Lt. Cmdr. Ebling. Dobson and three others are in various places around the resort, trying to keep out of the rain.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah stands there and waits. "Why not just have the Yorktown transport security to the resort transporter? Or have them lock on Hardin and beam him up to the ship?"
    Last edited by choie; 01 Oct 2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Edited to add dialogue if only because Kylah gives a crap about Rangin's safety.

Registered
    May 2013

"Son of a bitch," Graham swears, clenching a fist in frustration and forgetting to close the channel to the Captain when he hears two guards are still outside. He realizes he's still on the line. "Uhhh--standby please Captain, one moment..."

He shakes his head in frustration and glances at Kylah. "He's got control of a transporter we don't have a handle on..."

Quickly to the four Security personnel, he directs two the station Security office and two to the transporter.

To those with Ebling: "The Lieutenant Commander may be somewhere between in danger as a potential witness to a potential suspect. Get someplace secure. And..." He grimaces, remembering what just happened with Hardin. "Keep it polite but scan for weapons. I take full responsibility."

He sighs and is about to get back to the Captain when frowns. "Dr. T'Var, report please," he says on what should be a direct line.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin is still for a moment, closes his eyes to refocus and then responds. "On my way."

Putting the communicator away, he swears under his breath as he stands in the doorway facing the rain. "Oh crap," muttered more out of disgust than anything. Taking a deep breath, he runs across the plaza, grimacing at the pounding rain now soaking him to the skin.

Once under cover again, Rangin pulls out his tricorder and sets it to scan for the Vice Admiral. There are only so many humans of that age running around. All the while, Rangin continues to move quickly to the transporter room.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The four Security guards acknowledge Graham's orders and are on the move.

"Standing by," the Captain says calmly. "Report when you're able."

Security Ens. Josiah F. Russell, one of the two guarding Ebling, also acknowledges. "I've confirmed she's unarmed, sir, and we're moving her to a secure location. Probably best I not say where, in case... the suspect is listening in."

Dr. T'Var checks in. "Please forgive my tardy response, Mr. Graham. I was speaking with Dr. Villa."

Rangin's tricorder does not immediately locate the Vice Admiral, or anyone else beyond a dozen meters or so. There is severe electromagnetic interference in the atmosphere from what appears to be a combination of the storm and the Berthold rays.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah stares in horror at Graham. He has sent Velir off alone in a storm, literally and figuratively, and ignored her suggestions that might protect their fellow teammate. Does Graham value no lives but humans?

In her mind's eye she can see Velir under attack by a slime devil; she can see a flash of him in between a vicious swarm of altered Sakathians, his face contorted in pain as they tear ravenously into his flesh; she can see his feverish, unconscious form lying nearby in the tiny shuttle. Somehow, she also sees her parents' corpses, clad in exquisite royal garments that cannot hide the scars and melted flesh from the accident that killed them.

No.

While Graham is listening to Russell and T'Var, Kylah rushes from the Vice Admiral's room and simultaneously whips out her communicator. "Kylah to Lt. JG Ferguson," she snaps, remembering he is on duty and beyond caring about his inexplicable hatred of her. "Beam me directly to either the resort's transporter room or to Ensign Rangin's position, whichever you can locate faster!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Having made it across, Rangin stands in the transporter room, sodden and generally pissed off. It appeared that someone high up in the Federation was corrupt, so what was unusual about that, it happened everywhere. Running a hand across his forehead and back through his hair, Rangin flicks off several droplets of water that had been threatening to run into his eyes.

Moves quickly across to the main console, Rangin leaves the tricorder quietly beeping away on top, showing no-one in the area. Rubbing his hands together, trying to warm them up slightly and not shake when he holds the phaser, Rangin wonders how long it would be before anyone turns up, and who that person would be.

After checking the phaser is set to a low level stun, Rangin begins to access the transporter console to make sure it hasn't been used recently and wonders what is the best way to disable it, short of destroying it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin unfortunately finds that the transporter room is locked; he can't get in. Seconds later, Security Crewmen Alexandra Harper and Ari Friedman round the corner of the corridor at a run, phaser-1s in hand. They are in plainclothes and dryer than Rangin, whom they recognize as they screech to a halt. Harper, slightly out of breath, asks, "Are you all right, sir? What's going on?"

"Acknowledged, Mr. Kylah," comes Ferguson's reply from the Yorktown to Kylah's call. "There is considerable atmospheric interference, but I think... yes. All right. Stand by for transport."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin had just come from this very room. The only reason to no longer have access was someone wanted it for themselves. Given the security breaches, no one would be opening the door normally.

He steps back from the door hearing the two crewmen running up as he scans beyond the door with his tricorder for a lifesign.

"Vice Admiral Hardin has gone rogue and that door is locked."

Rangin gestures with his phaser. "Open it."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham sets his tricorder to scan for any hidden exits from the room while he turns his attention back to the captain.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Captain. We discovered..." As soon as he says this, he looks around and sees that Kylah's left the room.

Damn, he thinks. Now that I've honed in on trying to build her confidence and self-esteem and given that she did as much--or more--than anyone to puzzle things out, this would have been a perfect time to give her the chance to jointly brief the captain. He frowns and debates calling her back but decides the captain has waited long enough--besides, at least I don't have anything to worry about, there are two guards outside, she's probably just diving back into the computer to trace some lead...

"Ah, we discovered that Wilson had been embezzling funds for quite some time, and sending kickbacks to the WR&R board. More to the point at the moment, he's been bribing Hardin for the past several years too. Unfortunately we got the news within his earshot, and he was ready with some sort of local-area stun device."

He draws a breath and looks around the room again, searching for any clues and also wondering where the hell Kylah did in fact go.

"I haven't been fully briefed yet, but apparently Hardin and Wilson had a falling out. And unless I find a trap door in this room, he apparently has access to a transporter, that's consistent with the multiple signatures we found from the night of the murder. We don't know Ebling's role, if any yet, but two officers have her secured. For the moment, I've sent people to secure the resort's security office and transporter room."
    Last edited by general_urko; 02 Oct 2014 at 11:48 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Standing by," Kylah says more weakly than intended.

Her eyes close briefly. Concern for Velir, fear of what she might find wherever she materializes, unease at putting her life in Ferguson's hands, bitterness at Delaney's stupidity in broadcasting such a message, anger at Graham for not listening, and contempt for the corruption apparently reaching near the height of the hierarchy of the much-idealized Starfleet... All flood within her to create a tide of nausea that rises and swells within her.

In preparation she reaches to grab a weapon--but her trembling fingers grasp hold of her knife, rather than her phaser. She knows she is far less skilled with the latter than the former.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin detects no lifesigns within the transporter room.

Crewman Harper crisply says, "Aye, sir," and quickly opens the door controls' maintenance port.

The Captain says to Graham, "Thank you, Mr. Graham. Carry on. Let me know if you need additional personnel, or anything else. I've ordered an Intruder Alert, just in case the Vice Admiral has somehow gotten back on board, and have posted guards in all transporter rooms. We'll also try to use the ship's sensors to locate him down there, although... it looks like it might be difficult. Singh out."

Graham, who is beginning to feel a strong headache come on, realizes that Hardin's suite has a similar configuration to Wilson's. He goes down the short hall and finds a service-access door in the second bedroom, just as Wilson's suite had. Although the door is shut and locked, tricorder readings indicate it has been very recently opened.

His communicator beeps again, and now it is Mr. Hsu. His voice is a little higher than usual. He says, "Dr. T'Var told me what happened. I've locked down all sensitive areas of the resort and passed the word for the staff to keep an eye out for Hardin. Is there anything else we can do for you?"

The two plainclothes guards in the corridor outside Hardin's suite's main entry barely have a chance to say anything before Kylah feels the transporter effect take her. Her vision clears after beaming is complete to show Rangin and two other people - she presumes additional Yorktown Security officers, although she doesn't know them - in the corridor outside the resort's transporter room. She, too, is uncomfortably aware of a growing pressure behind her eyes.

A long, steady rumble of thunder sounds throughout the resort.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 Oct 2014 at 02:57 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin fidgets nervously as Crewman Harper starts to open the doors. "Take your time, get it right, there's no-one inside there yet. Friedman, keep watch that way." Rangin gestures down the hall and he turns to half cover the other direction.

As the transport beam kicks in, Rangin swivels round covering it with his phaser until the outline of Ensign Kylah materialises. Highly relieved, he breathes a small sign of relief and greets her with a nod and a wry smile. "Good to see you and please excuse this..." he gestures to the sopping clothes, "...it's a little damp outside."

Rangin relaxes slightly, as he remembers that from past experience, if there was a fight, he knew could count on Kylah to stand with him.

"Any news from the others?", he asks when she is ready.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham lets loose a string of curses worthy of any old-Earth ocean-going sailor.

The fact that pursuits been delayed by as much as fifteen minutes, that he's been unceremoniously abandoned by his partner, and the impending headache are all icing on the cake: what's really torquing me off is the fact we didn't search for and secure this earlier, he thinks. I've had guards standing around like assholes out front while half the frigging Orion Syndicate could have waltzed in here while the Admiral was sleeping.

He briefly considers calling in the guards out front to join him, then decides against it. He transmits to the Yorktown personnel on planet and includes the ship on the channel as well: "Looks like Hardin left this location on foot - sometime between 10 and 15 minutes ago. I'll pursue from here." He directs the Security officers out front and those in the security office to follow a suitable physical or camera-based search pattern.

Then he asks the Yorktown to brief the Federation research station on the situation if that hasn't been done already.

He replies to Hsu with the location information and asks his people to cooperate. "And you can tell--what's with this weather? Typical? Anything we should be worried about besides getting wet?"

Once Hsu has answered, he uses whatever level of force is necessary to open the door (preferably bashing the hell out of it, he thinks as he tests its solidity, WR&R's board can send me a freaking bill), and transmits to Kylah: "What is your location, Mr. Kylah?"
    Last edited by general_urko; 02 Oct 2014 at 04:54 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah totters forward to Velir, so relieved to see him she wants to cry. She whispers his name and barely refrains from grabbing him when her consciousness reminds her of the presence of others. Not that propriety matters in the end; if there were no other consideration she would do as she pleased. But there is still the matter of danger involved. Someone who attacked them with... something... is on the loose. And her head hurts. A result of being knocked out? She cannot tell. It does not seem like a phaser stun.

Her communicator reminds her that Graham exists. She flips it open. "I am outside the transporter room, which is locked. I had myself beamed over. I was afraid for Ensign Rangin, I thought he might be alone and in danger...but he is safe." Those words are spoken to Velir more than Graham, her eyes staring at him in an echo of the anxiety she felt before.

She raises a hand to her temple and massages it. "I will do whatever you wish me. Mr. Graham, do you feel..." Her hand moves to her eyes, because she realizes that is where the problem really is. "Do you feel all right?"

Registered
    May 2013

"You WHAT?" Graham replies, what would otherwise simply be anger (a lot of it)--the response he'd have to anyone going lone wolf during a tactical operation mixed with heavy doses of worry about Kylah's safety specifically (and relief that she's OK) combined with his sense of culpability that he's failed to do his job to help her along (...and keep her safe...) as a commanding offer.

"You--" Shouting has made the pain in his head all the worse. He lowers the volume of his voice, and the tone of her own registers--she sounds like I feel, he thinks. "Ah...no," he says, quite softly now. "Headache--do you have one as well?" He clears his throat. "I'm glad everybody's safe. If Security has reached the transporter room, rendezvous with Dr. T'Var, have her check you out, I think she's still at the resort med facility." He rubs his eyes. "Mr. Rangin can escort you."
    Last edited by general_urko; 02 Oct 2014 at 06:01 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah winces at the shout and pulls the device away from her ear. When he speaks again she tentatively returns to listening. "Yes, there is a great deal of pressure behind my eyes... in my eyes..."

She is distraught when Graham suggests she and Rangin trot over to the infirmary and play no role in helping to find Hardin. She skips over his order and focuses on trying to say something, anything, useful. "Mr. Graham, it occurs t me that there is nowhere he can go unless he can beam himself out. Should you have the Yorktown contact the Chariot to warn them? And... was there not another yacht in orbit too? The Tri... Trimalchio, or something?

"And also..." Kylah does her best to concentrate, which is difficult to do with her mind swimming and the heightened alertness of the others, radiating toward her. "There is also the research lab. They have a transporter too. Should they be notified?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham takes a deep breath. He says as softly and supportively as he can manage under the circumstances. "Station notified, I'll make sure Yorktown attends to the other ships." He pauses. "Your attention to detail is commendable, Mr. Kylah."

He makes sure his communicator is transmitting to Rangin and T'Var as well. "Mr. Rangin, please see to it that Ens. Kylah sees Dr. T'Var promptly and safely."
    Last edited by general_urko; 02 Oct 2014 at 06:33 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Yes, Mr. Graham," Kylah says tightly. "I assume you will be joining us as well, since you have the same problem? There are numerous security people in your area. You are likely not fit for duty yourself." She broadcasts to Dr. T'Var. "Doctor. Ensign Graham and I have both been knocked unconscious for ten minutes. I recommend you consider ordering Graham in to be tested. You outrank him, and regardless of his status as mission commander, as a doctor you have the power to do so."

Two can play at this game, she thinks as she snaps her communicator shut.
    Last edited by choie; 02 Oct 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah realizes she did not respond to Velir's question about what happened. "I am sorry, I... Mr. Graham and I were talking to Hardin. He seemed to have lied about not having seen Mr. Wilson the night he died, but before we could confirm this, Del--Lt. Delaney contacted Graham and blurted out that Lt. Garcia had opened the files and discovered Hardin had been taking bribes from WR&R. In front of Hardin." She would roll her eyes if they did not hurt so much. "The next thing I knew, Graham pulled a weapon on Hardin, and without even lifting a finger, Hardin suddenly..."

She shakes her head. Yes, that hurts too. A bad idea. "I do not know what he did, but when I opened my eyes, Graham and I were on the floor and ten minutes had passed. And of course Hardin was gone. The plainclothes guards were still in front of the room, and Graham assumed Hardin had beamed away somehow, and ordered you out alone."

Kylah puts a hand out to Rangin and lowers her voice so only he can hear her. "I suggested that he have security beam over instead, it would be faster, but he did not listen. He put you in direct danger. So... I went instead. I am sorry he has now forced you into escort duty. He puts you in danger one minute and treats me like a porcelain doll. It is not right."
    Last edited by choie; 02 Oct 2014 at 07:22 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. T'Var says via communicator on the general frequency, "I am on my way to the transporter room now. I will examine Ensigns Kylah and Rangin when I arrive." She then says on a closed channel to Kylah, "I will bear your recommendation as to Mr. Graham in mind, Mr. Kylah, thank you."

Hsu says, "We'll check the surveillance tapes and interview anyone outside or their rooms as to who might've seen Hardin. I have my entire security staff out in the resort, looking now."

Capt. Singh answers, "I've advised the captains of both Fastolfe's Chariot and the Trimalchio what has happened, without too many details, and encouraged them to shut down their transporters. I have also ordered them not to leave orbit without permission."

Lt. Christopher Palver, commander of the Starfleet research station, says, "Our doors are locked, our transporter room is secured, and our Security people are on the lookout. No sign of Vice Adm. Hardin here."

Graham feels the onset of just about the worst migraine he's ever had, and Kylah feels only a little better than he does.

Thunder and lightning continue outside, and the rain keeps pouring down.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's teeth clench. "Thank you. I know you think I am merely being obstreperous, doctor. But we were both stunned or... or maybe even poisoned, gassed, I do not know... until we lost consciousness. We might even have concuss--" She breaks off when a vise of pain clamps down on her temples with enough force to make her drop the communicator.

The hand still on Rangin's wrist tightens, needing to support herself, as she shuts her eyes with a tiny moan. Kylah is used to headaches, especially when she was younger and utterly unable to avoid the bombardment of other people's emotions, but this... this is not usual.

A deep breath in, then a long exhale through her mouth: it has always worked before to relax her. She feels a little better but does not dare bend down to pick up the communicator. "I do not understand," she says softly in a near whimper. "He had no phaser, he did not move, how could he do this to us?"
    Last edited by choie; 03 Oct 2014 at 12:56 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

While the conversations are going on, Rangin decides to put his training to good use. It's amazing the number of people who forget that xenobiology actually includes biology. He may not be as good as Dr T'Var or be able to describe all the solutions to every day ills but he can certainly tell if something is medically wrong. He gets his tricorder out and starts to scan Kylah, it won't give the full diagnostic a medical tricorder would, but at least he can check vital signs and give T'Var a rundown when she gets here, or if it is too bad, suggest she find Graham first and that they drag the pair of them to the infirmary.

Rangin's thoughts on Lt Garcia and Lt Delaney are not pleasant. Just think if they had contacted Rangin first, as he had requested, none of this would have happened and Hardin would probably be in a cell by now. But no, they obviously knew better. Idiots was the kindest thing he could think to call them.

As Kylah drops her communicator, Rangin stops it skittering away with his foot and continues to support her. "Kylah, apologise when this is all over and not before. I've no idea what Hardin has done to you, but we will find out. You were there for me once, so I'm not going anywhere."

Registered
    May 2013

Ow, Graham thinks, grudgingly conceding Kylah may have a point as he can barely keep his eyes open and focused against the pain.

Well T'Var will figure out if there's anything she can do for us--besides a quick stun from a phaser, which is starting to seem positively appealing--by checking out Kylah.

A little unsteadily, Graham tries to stay focused and scan for any signs of the admiral's trail beyond the service door, noting which houses or other buildings are nearby.

After a few steps he pauses to perform breathing techniques he's been trained on designed to ward off shock after a physical wound. Oh good, pain's enough I should start puking any minute now...

Registered
    May 2013

Look on the bright side, Booker, Graham thinks. Maybe all this pain is a clue.

He closes his eyes for a moment and holds his communicator against his mouth so he can whisper. It's still a laborious and trying process to get the words out. "Graham to Yorktown. Please search Federation Security and Intelligence records for a match on a local area incapacitation weapon, hand-held or at least hand activated, instantaneous, duration around ten minutes, no visual cues, after effect extreme headache. Reported incidents, tech, association with any particular species..."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin's tricorder scan of Kylah shows that her hypothalamus is unusually stimulated, her brainwaves indicate major but not debilitating pain, and her pulse and respiration rates are higher than normal for an Elasian of her age and gender. She does not, however, appear to be in any danger of death.

Graham's breathing exercises help a little. Science Officer Roble says, "Checking - stand by." After a few moments, he says, "Hmm. There are several neural paralyzer weapons or tools that fit that description, some of which are available commercially. They are controlled under Federation law, and sales are banned on many worlds. Starfleet Intelligence uses a gadget like that in some covert operations." He adds, "You don't sound well, Mr. Graham. Do you need medical assistance?"

Dr. T'Var arrives outside of the transporter room just as Crewman Harper opens the door.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06 Oct 2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: changed classified > covert

Registered
    Feb 2009

Checking the results of the scan, Rangin wonders if this could be something that could remove the effects of the spores from someone. He would have to confirm with T'Var when she turned up, but a device of some kind that could do this would be more likely than someone using ephrinephrine which was not missing from anywhere.

Rangin lets herself hold steady on his arm "Ok, Kylah. Your head is going to be sore for a while but it will pass. Dr T'var may have something that can stop the pain when she arrives."

With Kylah balanced carefully, Rangin drops the tricorder back on its strap before unholstering the phaser again and preparing himself for whatever may come next.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah doesn't want to nod but she does give a fleeting, wan smile of thanks to Velir for his reassurance. She focuses on the door and has a sudden fear that--even without any lifesigns--there might still be someone in there. He wouldn't escape just to commit suicide, would he? Or another murder? Even thinking hurts her. She suddenly tries to exercise her empathic sense on the room, just to see if she still has the capability. As much as it has caused problems for her, being without it is a frightening prospect.

Noticing Velir's efforts to get his weapon, Kylah loosens her grip on his wrist, not wanting to hinder him in any way. With difficulty she pulls out her knife. In her state, a phaser would be useless. She's a bad enough shot as it is.

With T'Var's arrival Kylah is both grateful and more concerned. All of us here. Almost. Where is Delaney? Is anyone with Graham at all?

Registered
    May 2013

"Nothing a fifth of single malt couldn't cure," Graham rasps. I hope, he adds mentally. "Please transmit what you've found to Dr. T'Var."

He tries to sound appreciative rather than pissed off, no mean feat at this point. Ironically, at least Kylah's unauthorized transport has given him one less thing to worry about: at the end of the day Rangin was both smart and cautious, and Kylah seemed to listen to T'Var more so than others.

"And...what can you science guys tell us about this storm, are we going to get zapped by Bethold ray lightning or anything, running around like idiots in the middle of this thing?"

He checks his tricorder for any signs of Hardin's trail. If this trail is cold maybe I should rendezvous with the others anyway, to regroup, he concedes grudgingly.
    Last edited by general_urko; 04 Oct 2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. T'Var scans Kylah and asks if she'd like to sit down. She takes a hypospray from her medikit and gives the Communications officer a dose of painkiller that almost immediately gives her some relief. She is not all better, but it's definitely an improvement.

Crewmen Harper and Friedman look into the transporter room, phaser-1s in hand. Friedman also scans it with his tricorder. "There's no one in here, sir," he says to Rangin as he steps inside.

Roble tells Graham, "It looks like quite a storm from up here. There is a risk of electrocution on open or high ground in case of lightning strike, the same as on Earth. Probably no better, but no worse."

Graham's scan does not reveal any sign of Hardin. He realizes, through his migraine, that someone is ringing the suite's door chime. Then his communicator beeps. It is Security Ens. Jeanne St. Croix, one of the two guards still outside. "Are you all right, sir? Can you open the door?" she asks.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham momentarily debates blasting out the side wall of the house with his phaser on overload, simply out of frustration, but then, rubbing his head, turns to go open the door. "I'm OK," he whispers into the communicator in reply.

When he opens the door he makes a point of saying--well, whispering--"good work, St. Croix."

He returns to his communicator, vision blurry, stomach churning. "Yorktown, are we clear to transport despite the storm? If so, I'd like the landing party to rendezvous in the CP."

Registered
    Mar 2012

The sudden relief from the worst of the pressure and pain is almost dizzying, and Kylah takes another deep breath before she lifts a hand. "Thank you, Dr. T'Var. That is much better." She makes sure to keep her tone light and adds a small smile, although her head still hurts and she feels as weak as water. The last thing she wants is for T'Var to force her off-duty. If Velir is on this planet facing danger, she must remain. Her helpless fear for his welfare in those few seconds before transporting... She cannot feel that again.

When the transporter room proves empty, she blinks in confusion. Her thoughts continue to be hazy as she murmurs, "I do not understand. He could not have left from the door to the hallway. Was there another part of the suite we did not see? Perhaps with its own door to the corridor? I do not remember if the suites are interconnected..." She falters to a stop. The only room in this hotel she knows was Jan's, and she was hardly paying attention to the architecture at the time.

Her bleary mind remembers the mission commander. They must report to him--but it would be best for Velir to do it. At this point she is uncertain if Graham wants to hear anything from her but "yes sir, I will return to the ship and play with dolls."

Turning to Velir, Kylah hesitates. He is the most sensible person on the team--T'Var included, Vulcan logic be damned to Elas's Southern continent--but she cannot help herself from making a suggestion. "I am sure you know this," she says in as soft a voice as possible, "but when you contact Graham, please do not mention Hardin's name. He might not have done all this if not for Del--if greater discretion had been used," she amends quickly.
    Last edited by choie; 05 Oct 2014 at 07:01 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As the door is opened and the room shown to be empty, Rangin orders Crewmen Harper and Friedman to go forward and check the console carefully, see if it has been used in the last fifteen to twenty minutes since Rangin himself was last here.

To Dr T'Var, once she has finished treating Kylah, "Ma'am, you might want to look at these readings," Rangin tells her as he hands across the tricorder, "whatever it was that was used, stimulated the hypothalamus, and I would be highly surprised if it didn't kick off wave of natural adrenaline and ephinephrine. I think we just found our spore-remover, if it was used on a less painful setting so to speak."

Turning back to Kylah, while noticing she still has not let go of the arm for balance. "Understood, I'll be discreet."

With no sign of anyone in the transporter room, Rangin re-attaches the phaser to his belt, and opens his communicator knowing that Graham is likely to be feeling just as bad as Kylah was a few moments ago. It would be amusing to bellow down the channel, hear Graham wince at the far end, but with Hardin on the loose, this was no time for games.

"Rangin to Graham," he says in a quiet, but audible voice, "Transporter room has been secured. Currently here with Dr T'Var and Ensign Kylah. Will confirm state of transporter and respond with current state. Awaiting other orders if required. Rangin out." Rangin decides not to mention the two other Crewman from Security. If Hardin was listening in, Rangin wanted a little backup as a surprise.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ferguson, in the Yorktown's Transporter Room 1, says, "I think we probably ought to keep our transporter use through this storm to a minimum, Mr. Graham, but yes, I can beam you anywhere you wish on the surface."

St. Croix comes in with Spec/2 Geilil, a Canopian, each with phasers in hand. St. Croix looks at Graham with concern. "Sir, I think you should probably sit down. If I may say, you don't look too good."

Mr. Hsu calls Graham next. "Surveillance cams show Hardin leaving from the service entrance behind his suite, going downstairs, going down corridors H4 and N4, and then heading out into the storm, towards the Sandoval Colony's buildings. He has not reentered the resort, as far as we can tell, since we locked all doors connecting to the outdoors."

Harper and Friedman check the transporter console; it has not been used all day.

Dr. T'Var says, "Thank you, Mr. Rangin. That is an interesting theory; I will have to look into it further."

Canopian: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nara

Registered
    May 2013

Graham can't believe it's Rangin's voice coming over the wire. In a haze of pain and near-delirium, he expects his every-so-civilized and rational voice to explain: "Mr. Graham, I've decided this is the right time for the crew to bond around a drum circle, and the Captain concurs." Graham can hear drums of every shape and size tapping out some sort of Coridanite jig...

Oh, that's my pulse, Graham realizes.

"Hell, I haven't looked good in a decade," Graham says, trying to smile and pointing at the scar down his face--except that one eye is screwed shut and the other is open a tiny slit, and even that is agonizing, and his grin, he realizes, probably looks like a death rictus. "But I'll take a hand," he rasps, gesturing for the two security officers to flank him and hold him up.

Leaning--correction, sagging--against St. Croix he answers Hsu: "Appreciated, stand by."

His head feels like it is wobbling and about fall off. He wishes it would. "Rangin, we'll come to you," he responds,, then switches channels and says "Ferguson, put us with the folks at the station transporter room."

There's usually a moment of blackness during transport: this time it gets blacker when he actually materializes. At the mercy of his two Security compatriots for support, he dry heaves on arrival and says , "See, Doc, Mr. Kylah's concerns were totally overblown, I'm right as rain..."

Reaching for something on which to support himself he adds, "Actually if you could give me something for this, that would be pretty goddamn great...Doc..."

The room spins.
    Last edited by general_urko; 05 Oct 2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah hears someone beaming in and has one last instant of calm before a violent sensation of pain echoes throughout her whole being. With a sob at having to feel this agony again--only worse, so much worse--she staggers until she falls against Velir's body, blessedly solid and near enough to grab onto. Almost blinded, she turns and wonders if Hardin has attacked them again. And then she sees Graham and understands.

"Oh--oh, you must help him," she begs T'Var, trying as best she can to protect her mind against the onslaught of Graham's horrible suffering, but it is too much and she is already too weak. She cannot help herself and buries her head against Velir's chest, her fingers clutching at his uniform as she groans the muffled entreaty: "Please help him!"
    Last edited by choie; 06 Oct 2014 at 04:47 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

The sob almost makes him jump.

Damn, I forgot to shut the door, he thinks. He’s just finished shaving and hasn’t pulled his shirt on yet. Lizzy is standing in the doorway—in her “starship” pyjamas, with feet, her favorites—staring wide-eyed as the ugly, barely healed gash running across his ribcage. Tears are starting to run down her cheeks,

“Someone hurt daddy?” she says. It’s partly a question partly an exclamation. He and Jane figured that by the time she was five or six, they would have to have a talk about his job sometimes being dangerous. But we weren’t planning on that yet…

He rushes over to her. “Sh, sh, it’s OK, Daddy’s ok,” he says, rushing over to her and crouching down so their eyes are level. He touches his injury. “Big bo-boo, huh?”

Lizzy nods, wide-eyed but not crying now. “Big boo boo,” she almost whispers.

“You can touch it if you want to, it's OK” Graham says, trying to read her expression. She appears to think about it, then shakes her head.

He tousles her hair playfully. “OK, just remember it’s getting better. Daddy can still do this…!” He picks her up, swinging her out and away so her feet fly up in the air behind her, playing “starship liftoff.”

Holy Christ, Graham thinks as searing pain shoots across his ribcage. This wasn’t such a great idea. But he hides every trace of discomfort as he swooshes her again and she starts to smile. It's worth every ounce of pain a thousand times over.

Only…

Wait, it’s not my ribs hurting, it’s my head…

And…where is she, I hear her.

Where is she…

My little girl...

My baby...
    Last edited by general_urko; 06 Oct 2014 at 12:28 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Graham's coming across shortly," says Rangin to the rest as he closes the communicator, "sounds like he needs a painkiller shot, Ma'am." After making sure Kylah is holding up, Rangin acknowledges the two Crewman diligently working through in the transporter room.

On hearing the sound of the transporter, Rangin also looks round to see Graham appearing this time being supported. But as Graham fully materialises he can feel Kylah's grasp slipping loosely from his arm and Rangin wonders if she is still ok, turning to see if she is ok, only to see her stagger towards him and grabs onto the collar of his uniform.

"Kylah," he voice raised slightly in concern, as he hear the sound of Graham's reaction to being transported. "Oh grief, here you go Kylah," he moves to support her as Kylah first turns to see Graham and then buries her face in his uniform. He can feel her shaking from something as he wraps an arm around her shoulders to hold her still and give some comfort.

"Ma'am." he urgently nods in Graham's direction to Dr T'Var gesturing that she should deal with him first. "Hold on tight, Kylah, we'll get you seen to."

Registered
    Sep 2009

St. Croix and Geilil, Graham's two supporters, gently lay him down on the transporter room floor. Dr. T'Var rushes over to Graham, scans him, adjusts her hypospray, and gives him a shot, too. He feels better within a minute or so, but still has a headache and is a little weak.

Registered
    Mar 2012

It seems to take longer for the pain to go away this time--Graham's relief has to radiate to Kylah, which creates a lag in the ever-incomprehensible, inchoate link that exists whenever her mind and body are suddenly affixed to someone else's. When she at last feels the wave of relaxation in her muscles and churning thoughts, she exhales raggedly and gets control of herself.

At once she realizes what she is doing--whom she is clinging to like a desperate lifeline--and every inch of exposed skin from her face to her chest flushes in embarrassment. She releases Velir and stumbles backward, her gaze mutely apologizing for being so needy and above all, indiscreet. Velir does not seem the demonstrative type even in private, she cannot image how absurd and possibly even distasteful her behavior must appear.

"I--thank you," she says shakily. "I did not mean to... it just came over me..." She looks down, still dizzy. For the life of her she cannot think of a plausible explanation for what happened. T'Var will understand, of course, but what can she say?

All Kylah does is hug herself and back away again further from Velir and especially Graham. She considers the security officer with some dread. Why was his pain so much worse than her own? He is so strong and she a physical weakling, why would the... whatever kind of weapon or generated field was used... have a greater effect on him?
    Last edited by choie; 07 Oct 2014 at 03:31 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin can feel Kylah slowly begin to release her grip from the front of the uniform and can hear her breathing slowly calm to a more measured state. As she stumbles backwards, Rangin carefully releases his grip and guides her backwards keeping her steady. He can see the slow flush across her face and he wonders what must be running through her mind. Surely, Kylah had not thought she had done something wrong.

Rangin can still feel the impression of Kylah where she had been close, through his sodden uniform where her body had warmed it. He could see the damp that had now stuck to Kylah, though she was paying no attention and stammering out an excuse and it looked like Kylah had been crying. Rangin hopes its not the case, but he still wants to reach out to comfort her, even though she is slowly backing away.

"No, its fine, don't worry about it, I'm sorry for getting you damp at the same time," Rangin tries to reassure Kylah, "I'm guessing that whatever caused it has affected you perhaps more than we expected. Possibly a secondary impact due to biological makeup or type of weapon. Dr T'Var can take another look and make sure that nothing further is wrong."
    Last edited by CatInASuit; 07 Oct 2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added some more colour text

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Mr. Kylah, sit down, please," Dr. T'Var says sternly, after scanning her again. "You and Mr. Graham must both rest at least a little."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's back is up against the wall--literally and figuratively--and, listening to T'Var, she slowly slides down to sit, knees up against her chest and arms wrapped around them. She feels cold now and realizes the front of her uniform is slightly wet from having been up against Velir. Her face is damp too and she automatically wipes the tears away.

Then she gasps in alarm. Did she--did she cry while so close to Velir? Did she get any of her tears on him? He did not touch her face, she is certain of that, but his uniform... did she weep against his neck? She hates bringing this up in front of so many strangers but has no choice. "Velir," she says in a voice weak with self-recrimination. "Do not touch your clothes. I might have... my tears might be on it..." she finishes inarticulately.

Kylah feels like some toxic poison. Just as she cannot seem to protect herself from others, she cannot even protect Velir from herself.

Closed thread