Closed thread
Page 51 of 82 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,550 of 4096

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Hello Kylah. No, don't worry about forgetting, now is fine. We are just waiting for some of the guests to turn up for a medical check about the spores. Ok. I'm listening."
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Velir and quickly mentions that she told Halsey about Hardin losing his reaction to the spores, and asked the doctor why such a thing might happen. "Other than calling it 'strange,' he displayed no curiosity regarding the cause of this issue, nor did he seem intent on discovering it. Even though his job depends on the spores' effectiveness."

She takes a deep breath and reveals Halsey's harsh reaction to the idea that someone thought he seemed happy despite Wilson's death, and that he had recently argued with the man. "All Halsey would say was that Dr. Wilson did not show enough respect for his department. When I asked him tactfully--and I was tactful, for me," Kylah emphasizes, a bit embarrassed, "--why anyone might have had the impression he was happy, Halsey ordered me out and threatened to call security. He never even asked who had told me such things! He only seemed afraid of me, and rather desperate to have me gone. His reaction was completely out of proportion to my behavior."

After a pause, she adds quietly, "I know I have shown a certain... propensity... for inciting others to threaten me with expulsion or punishment. But I promise you, I did not rate such a heated and sullen response. This time," she admits.
    Last edited by choie; 19 Jun 2014 at 04:30 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin smiles at the last statement, aware of how forceful Kylah can be.

"Thanks for that Kylah, I'll keep it in mind and if anything happens here I'll let you know. Good luck with Lord Fastolfe. Rangin out."

He puts the communitor away and heads back in.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ebling is a lieutenant commander, not a lieutenant.

Dr. Halsey says with a shrug, "I don't know why Ebling was on my mind. Because she's the vice admiral's aide, I guess I just sort of think of them together." Rangin notices that the physician seems nervous and is sweating slightly, although the Infirmary is cool.

The door to Lord Fastolfe's guest house remains closed. Graham can just barely hear voices within.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah smiles inwardly, glad simply to have been in touch with Velir. Then, sober once more, she returns her communicator to her belt and goes back to the others. "Forgive me, I needed to report my conversation with Dr. Halsey to Ensign Rangin..." she explains in an undertone, although even as she speaks her attention is drawn to the closed door. Still no response? Will Graham ring the chime again? After casting a quizzical glance at the Security officer, Kylah cocks her head toward the door and closes her eyes, wondering if she can hear or sense anything.
    Last edited by choie; 19 Jun 2014 at 11:47 PM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham glances at T'Var and Kylah. "'His lordship...' He said it with a straight face." He shakes his head. "I don't think I could manage it."

He taps a finger on his lips. "Plan A is the dude in the suit lets us talk to Fastolfe. Plan B...I think we have enough to get a warrant to enter the premises. I was going to try to be diplomatic and offer the 'carrot' of not having to officially declare Fastolfe a suspect and keep this all low key...rather than the 'stick' of forced entry and detaining all these assh--uh, people--while we search the place." He shrugs. "But I'm not inclined to let these clowns waste our time...any thoughts, team?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah watches the door as if she can force it to open by sheer will. "I would ring again, at the very least, to let them know of the urgency. If this person says we may not enter, I think we might suggest that we have reason to believe Lord Fastolfe is in danger and we must speak with him; he is at the minimum an important witness. After all, the planet is under our jurisdiction and we have enough just cause to require him to answer our questions. The danger is no lie; he is in danger of being framed or being locked up as a murderer."

She purses her lips in thought, then shrugs. "I hope he will see reason. If not, there is nothing more to do than demand an interview with this material witness."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham can't help but chuckle. "Heh - we ll I suppose he's in danger of being framed and then locked up as a murderer by us. Can't say I'd shed many tears about that, but even a Constitution-class jerk doesn't deserve a false homicide conviction..."

Graham hits the chime again.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The man returns to the door after about a minute, and opens it. He doesn't look happy. Without a word, he gestures for you to enter, and leads you through a grand entryway with a gleaming, black-and-white tiled floor into a wood-paneled study. Everything you see in the house is opulent and luxurious. A striking young black woman with a large afro is in the study. She sets aside a data pad, stands and says softly, "I am Melanie Adjetey, Lord Fastolfe's manager. May I help you?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oops, consider it amended. I thought Lt. was a little too low for the aide

"Really Doctor. I would have thought your mind would have been on the conundrum of the missing spores and the affected guests that you are aware of in particular."

Rangin decides to ask a few quick questions of Dr Halsey and see what reaction he has.

What's your main theory on the effect being lost?
    Have you met any of the group today?
    Are you going to reintroduce them one at a time or all together?
    As for Lt. Cmdr. Ebling, have you heard from her at all?
    Have you heard from Lord Fastolfe?
    Have you heard anything further about the incident last night?
    Have Mr or Mrs Hsu been in touch at all?
    Is there anything els ewe can do to help here?

Rangin especially wants to see how he reacts to the questions about Ebling and Fastolfe.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah nods politely at the other woman, then decides to take matters into her own hands before Graham bullyrags the woman and sets up a confrontational atmosphere.

"Good afternoon, Ms. Adjetey. We are from the Federation ship Yorktown. I am Ensign Kylah, and this is Dr. T'Var. This gentleman here is our Mission Commander, Booker Graham, who has come to speak with Lord Fastolfe personally." Her respectful tone when using Graham's name--but not his rank--is purposeful; she hopes the manager will presume him to have greater stature among the Starfleet hierarchy. "As we told your associate, the resort's administrator has been murdered. As the Federation's Starfleet representatives we are investigating this crime, and since Mr. Wilson's body was discovered in the courtyard nearby, we must speak with all the guests residing in this area."

Kylah lowers her voice slightly. "I am afraid Lord Fastolfe is of particular importance to the investigation for a variety of reasons that we can only reveal to him in person. There are aspects of the crime that indicate a potential threat--" She cuts herself off as if regretting saying too much. "No, I apologize, this really must be discussed with Lord Fastolfe himself. Please tell him we must see him, as this is a highly urgent matter that must not be delayed further."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shuts his mouth before a fly wanders in--or it becomes obvious that he's completely flat-footed by Kylah jumping in and taking the lead in his place.

His inclination to be annoyed passes quickly, however. If your intention was to take a diplomatic approach, he thinks, then in point of fact you probably should have asked your comms officer to take the lead...

Plus she's making me out to sound like I command half the fleet in the sector, he muses. That's both entertaining and bittwersweet: you know what it means to be a senior officer, Booker. That includes looking the part as well as acting the part, representing what Starfleet leadership means to others and your team.

He controls his breathing and assumes the posture and demeanor he so diligently observed--and practiced--when he was on his way up to Lt. Commander.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Dobson has only one question for the doctor. "I'm curious, Sir, why you're so agitated?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey responds to Rangin's questions.

What's your main theory on the effect being lost? - "Uh, too soon to say. It is unusual, quite unusual, as I mentioned earlier."
    Have you met any of the group today? - "No."
    Are you going to reintroduce them one at a time or all together? - "Well, for the moment, none of them, as I was asked to halt all spore introductions while your investigation is underway."
    As for Lt. Cmdr. Ebling, have you heard from her at all? - "No, I don't think so."
    Have you heard from Lord Fastolfe? - "No."
    Have you heard anything further about the incident last night? - "The incident? You mean Mr. Wilson's murder? No."
    Have Mr. or Mrs. Hsu been in touch at all? - "Yes, we've spoken a bit during the day, and they've kept me updated by comm messages."
    Is there anything else we can do to help here? - "No, thank you. Just let me get on with my work."

His demeanor and tone of voice in responding to questions about Ebling and Fastolfe are not noticeably different from any other.

To Dobson's question he snaps, "I've never been involved in something like this before, and the tone of your questions has me on edge, quite frankly."

Melanie Adjetey, Lord Fastolfe's manager, thinks for a moment and says to Kylah, "All right, I'll suggest that he see you. Wait here a moment, please." She leaves, and the door silently slides shut behind her.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Jun 2014 at 10:57 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah exhales silently in relief, then says softly to Graham--careful not to be too candid, just in case others are listening--"I am sorry for speaking out of turn, sir. I thought, diplomatically speaking, it would not be appropriate for a mission commander such as yourself to speak with anyone but Lord Fastolfe. Your time should not be wasted by going through not one, but two gatekeepers, however much this man warrants it." An amount that is too small to measure. She barely manages to keep her face from showing her disdain.

As she speaks, she shifts her gaze around the room, if nothing else but to learn more about the sort of belongings someone like Fastolfe would take on a vacation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Doctor, given what has happened over the last few hours, I would be amazed if you weren't on edge. What with the resort up for renewal, the murder of your superior and a medical effect that just shouldn't happen. Well, these just aren't everyday occurrences. I would probably be frantic if I were you, seeing as the consequences could be the loss of the resort." says Rangin conversationally.

"Don't worry, I'm sure that once we catch the murderer, everything will turn out fine." Rangin smiles broadly at the Doctor, "Of course, until then, everyone is a suspect." Rangin stops as if considering something. "You have given a statement haven't you Doctor? I can't remember if we have one on file, though I'm sure any alibi you have will be fine." He nods as if agreeing with his own statement, that the Doctor is blameless.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah sees nothing in the room that suggests it was brought there by the aristocratic rock star/celebrity/bad boy or his entourage; the furniture, thick carpet and exquisite objets d'art on the shelves all look like they go with the place.

Dr. Halsey crossly says, "No, I've already been questioned several times. I haven't given any written statement."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"That's fine Doctor, I'm sure it won't be a problem", Rangin encourages him. "So, when is Mrs Calvin arriving then?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey is literally just opening his mouth to answer when the elderly author walks in. Her eyes widen a little at the sight of two Starfleet personnel in the Infirmary. "I can come back, if you like, Doctor...?" she begins to say.

"No, no, that's all right, Mrs. Calvin," he replies. "Please have a seat. If there's nothing further, Ens. Rangin...?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham looks around with something of an imperious demeanor, as if he's a flag officer. He nods acknowledgment of Kylah's comments--only slightly, as if there were a great difference in their ranks--but he can't resist a little smile. He clasps his hands behind his back in parade rest and waits to see what kind of entrance Fastolfe will make.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Mrs Calvin, so good to see you again. How are you?" Rangin begins conversationally as she walks through the door. "We were just discussing the tests, the spores being one of the reasons I'm here in the first place, and I'm certainly interested to see how they go and I'm looking forward to Dr Halsey's report on it when he has finished, purely from a scientific interest point of view."

Rangin turns back to the Doctor. "Thank you once again, Doctor", he gestures with an agreeable nod, "I'll leave you to it. Crewman Dobson, we should leave the good Doctor to his work."

Rangin heads for the door.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Dobson nods to the doctor and the author, saying "Sir. Ma'am" respectively, then as she follow Rangin out, says to him "On your six, sir."
    Last edited by anyrose; 23 Jun 2014 at 04:34 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As Rangin and Dobson leave the Infirmary, a young man in WR&R overalls walks in. He nods to them.

After a long wait, Miss Adjetey returns. "Thank you for waiting. His Lordship will see you now." She ushers Graham, Kylah and Dr. T'Var up a grand staircase to a sitting room that is, if anything, even more opulent than the room on the first floor that you were just in. She knocks quietly on a closed door to an adjoining room, and then takes a seat. The door opens after a few seconds and Lord Fastfolfe enters, fastening a richly brocaded dressing gown around himself as he does. He is otherwise nude, and Graham inadvertently gets a glimpse that confirms a popular rumor about the rock star. Kylah sees, just before the door closes behind him, that the adjoining room includes a bed, and that the bed has a beautiful Human woman and a lanky Caldonian male in it.

Fastolfe eases into a chair, leans back and sighs tiredly. He says, "You had some questions for me...?"

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Caldonian

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Excuse me," Dobson says to the staffer, "May we see your ID?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is more than a little embarrassed at the evidence of Fastolfe's sexual activities (most likely very recent sexual activities) but tries not to show it. She does wonder if he arrived with this pair of... bedmates... or if they are fellow guests.

Then she switches her attention to Fastolfe himself. After a hesitation, Kylah pushes forward a bit with her mind, tentatively--fearfully, if she is being honest--to see if Fastolfe is still exhibiting the effects of the spores. She has somehow managed not to be this close to any spore-affected guest all day; after last night, she is reluctant to experience the sensation again. But she tries anyway because the truth is too important to rely on Fastolfe's own word.

As she does she absently gives Fastolfe much the same greeting and introductions she gave to his manager, including the reminder of why they are there. This time she concludes with, "...And we thank you for taking time away from your--from your vacation to speak with us. But the reason we are here, Lord Fastolfe, is not simply that your house is near the place where the body was found. I am afraid the circumstances surrounding Mr. Wilson's death appear to imply some connection to you." Kylah turns toward Graham and addresses him respectfully. "Sir, perhaps you wish to continue?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods. "Ah, yes, thank you..." He turns to Fastolfe. "You...lordship," he begins, choking down his gag reflex. "How are the spores treating you?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The WR&R staffer stares at Dobson, laughs once, says "No," and continues into the Infirmary.

Lord Fastolfe yawns elaborately. "It's the damnedest thing. When I woke up this morning, the spore effect was gone. I think I'm going to need another dose." Kylah confirms from her psionic probe that he does not appear to be under the influence of the spores any more.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah feels herself relax, glad not to have encountered the spores again. Still, his reaction... "That is a shame. I am surprised you did not complain to the staff at once to let everyone know of this failure. The spores are the main reason for your coming to WR&R, are they not? It is laudable that you are taking this in your stride, but I would have thought you would be outraged to find the influence gone after only a day. Especially after you were so riled simply because the resort could not accommodate your housing request yesterday. Unless you can account for a reason why the spores might have failed. Did you have any emotional upheaval or distress that could have caused their effects to wear off?"

She hesitates. "You have been told that Mr. Wilson, the administrator with whom you argued yesterday, was murdered. His body was found just outside in the courtyard. May I ask if that upsets you at all, sir? I know you had your disagreement, but still..." Kylah keeps her focus on his emotions carefully. Does he ever get shaken from this façade of disinterest?

"Meanwhile, we have been asking everyone residing here whether they heard or saw anything late last night through early this morning--say, after 23:00--and to let us know of their activities during those times. This will help us track down everyone's movements. May I ask, what were your plans last night, early this morning? Were you ever alone, or were you with--" Kylah glances at the bedroom door, feeling her cheeks turn warm, then gets a hold of herself and sends her gaze back to Fastolfe. "That is, does your--your entourage follow you at all times?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 25 Jun 2014 at 12:07 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I've been rather busy so far today, and haven't had the chance to arrange for another spore exposure," he says, "but I will. I don't know why they might have failed; I'm not a doctor, my dear. Wilson's death is... unfortunate, I suppose, but I can't say I'm very upset. He struck me as a petty corporate functionary who was not especially interested in seeing that I got what I wanted. What I was entitled to. As to my schedule, I was at the nightclub until late, and then came back here with some friends. I saw and heard nothing amiss." He smiles slyly. "Was I ever alone? Yes, I suppose I was, now and then. Even I need my rest. I don't have an 'entourage,' as you put it, but I do like to have friends about."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham rubs his chin. "Yes, well, your lordship," he says, getting used to using the word because the concept that this joker is some sort of royalty is becoming positively entertaining, "about your, ah, relationship with Wilson. I can't say I'm surprised you aren't shedding a tear, but the awkward thing is that you threatened Wilson with a knife at the spore introduction session." He shrugs. "Carrying a concealed weapon, drawing it in anger over a room assignment..." He spreads his hands. "Some might say that would point to you as a suspect...especially if there was other evidence linking you to the crime scene."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah returns Fastolfe's smile with her own. If she can obey her uncle's orders to 'amuse' someone like Herennius, a vile, oily young upstart in Romulan politics with the same politically powerful friends as his late father Decius, Kylah can certainly pretend to be charmed by Fastolfe. And the truth is, she now better understands the superstar's charismatic hold on his fans. Despite his indolent manner he seems neither dull nor ignorant, and there is little denying his physical attractiveness.

Graham takes over and quickly changes the tone of the questions. Alert to Fastolfe's possible reaction, Kylah aims a seemingly worried frown at Graham. "But with respect, sir, there could be some explanations for all of these things. There is no law against concealed weapons on the planet." She turns back to Fastolfe. "The mission commander is of course correct, however, regarding some troubling evidence found near Mr. Wilson's body. I hope you will understand why we must clear matters up.

"Can you tell us about all of your contacts with Mr. Wilson yesterday? Was the matter of the house and the--the knife incident--the first time you had reacted violently with him? You see, his leg had been injured just before that argument, and given how easily Mr. Wilson could have been physically overwhelmed by your obvious... strength and power, and willingness to use them in...various ways..." Kylah glances shyly and furtively at Fastolfe's shoulders, arms and legs, "I thought perhaps you might have had an earlier conflict, as well."

She hesitates and adds, as if distracted by her own internal musings about Fastolfe's power, "Could you also tell us, please, if you have noticed any belongings missing since you arrived?"
    Last edited by choie; 25 Jun 2014 at 04:32 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin looks at Dobson with amusement. "You know Dobson, if you're that interested to find out who he is, we have the full staff list of WR&R available. We needed it for all the fingerprint analysis. We should be able to see if he is legitimate just be looking him up. Here, let me find him..."

Rangin opens his tricorder and starts looking through the list of staff to find the person who just went passed.

"Once we have done that, we may need to pay a little visit to Lt. Cmdr Ebling as she seems to be the only person not affected pending, of course, the result of our colleagues chat with Lord Fastolfe." Rangin muses while he searches.
    Last edited by CatInASuit; 25 Jun 2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Ebling gender error

Registered
    May 2013

Speaking of gag reflex... Graham thinks as Kylah gets flirty and flattering toward Fastolfe...

In point of fact he's pleased as she slips smoothly into good-cop-bad-cop, although he has to correct his initial assumption that her wiles would naturally be more effective than his as he notices that there's also a dude in Fastolfe's bed. However, he notes, that doesn't change the fact that communications is both her specialty and from he's observed her natural element.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fastolfe looks at his manager, then back to Graham. He says firmly, "I didn't kill Wilson, if that's what you're driving at, and I don't know who did. I didn't have any earlier conflict or altercation with Wilson, other than the one you saw. Our dealings before that time had only been through Miss Adjetey. I don't know how he might have injured his leg. I've noticed none of my belongings missing."

Rangin runs a facial-recognition program on the WR&R personnel roster and finds that the man who just went into the Infirmary is Victor White, a medtech.

See post 2523. Kylah saw that Fastolfe had company in his bed, not Graham.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks at Fastolfe keenly, not surprised by the speed with which he has shed his languid, effete façade. She then kneels down slightly to be closer to his seated height--not too difficult considering her own short stature. "Lord Fastolfe," she says quietly, her wide, black eyes focused squarely on his. "I cannot speak for Mr. Graham, nor Dr. T'Var, nor anyone else but myself. Yet I tell you, with all sincerity, that at this time I personally do not believe you killed Mr. Wilson--and not because I am a besotted fan, for in truth, I had not heard of you before we arrived here. That is no insult to your fame, of course; merely a reflection of my own sheltered existence as part of the Elasian royal family."

She hesitates before continuing. "Nevertheless, there are valid reasons why we ask you these questions, and it is not just your attack on Mr. Wilson yesterday. Your knife--the one we confiscated? Can you please tell me where you purchased it, and if you own others like it? It is my understanding such knives are sold in sets. If yours is one of a set, do you know where its partners are, who else might have access to them--and if possible, could you please confirm that they are where you believe them to be?"

"Also," Kylah says, still as gentle yet intense as she knows how to be, "Do you know anything about any of the other guests who are your neighbors here--for example, Fellim Palver, Rosemary Calvin, Admiral Hardin, Lt. Commander Ebling, or Sylvia Audrey? I understand it is unlikely that someone like you would have much direct connection with the staff, but--forgive me, I do not recall how often you have been to the resort before--have you had any dealings with Mrs. Hsu, who was Mr. Wilson's assistant director? Or Mr. Hsu, the Security Chief? Dr. Halsey?" Kylah twists her head briefly to include his manager in her questions. "I ask you the same things, Miss Adjetey."
    Last edited by choie; 25 Jun 2014 at 11:27 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fastolfe looks surprised. "Yes, the knife is part of a set of five which I bought on Pelden VII. I have the rest of them in a box in the other room; anyone who'd been in there might've had access to it - would you get them for me, please, Melanie?" He thinks a moment. "I know none of the other guests other than having met them yesterday when I was introduced to the spores. This is my first time visiting the planet. I've had no dealings with either the Hsus or Dr. Halsey."

Adjetey stands and says as she heads for the door, "I don't know any of the other guests, either. I spoke to Mrs. Hsu several times in arranging for Lord Fastfolfe's visit, but not the others."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 26 Jun 2014 at 01:39 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"See, he's a medtech, his job is in there." states Rangin holding up the tricorder for Dobson to see. "Nothing that strange about it, really."

He taps the back of the tricorder a couple of times. "You know, the one thing I haven't done is ask an expert," Rangin grins at Dobson, "not Dr Halsey, but a proper set of experts from the research station. I need to get the readings I took verified. Not just the ones from this morning, but those from yesterday as well. Other than that, if you have any good ideas about what to do next, let' s hear them. Otherwise it's talk to the research station and then track down Lt. Cmdr Ebling again."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham makes a mental note to add an "attaboy" for Kylah in his mission log if she keeps up this excellent questioning of Fastolfe. Given that they now seem to have his attention, he decides it's best to keep him engaged on multiple angles--victim as well as suspect.

"Your lordship," Graham asks as if thinking deeply on the matter, "is there anyone who might wish you harm...or who might, for example, benefit from framing you for a murder?"
    Last edited by general_urko; 26 Jun 2014 at 04:17 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I'm sorry, Sir," Dobson says almost sheepishly, "I don't have any ideas at this time. But I will gladly take on any task you see fit to assign me."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Despite the seriousness of this interview, Kylah nearly smiles in amusement when she hears Fastolfe's request to his manager. So the obnoxious, supercilious narcissist says 'please' to an employee, she thinks, satisfied. I knew it was an act. Would his fans be delighted or disappointed to learn he has manners after all? I shall have to ask Delaney.

She is about to ask another question--why did he bring those knives down to the planet in the first place?--but Graham speaks up and takes charge as he should. His tone is pleasingly non-confrontational, and Graham sounds almost genuine when he speaks of the possibility that Fastolfe is being framed. Kylah has felt alone in believing this to be the case all along, but perhaps the others are coming around at last. Although Kylah isn't certain that the answer will be fruitful. A frame-up need not require anyone to have wished Fastolfe specific harm. Fastolfe's actions prior to the spore introduction might have simply provided the killer with an ideal opportunity to frame a seemingly unlikeable, violent man.

Kylah examines Fastolfe's face. He undoubtedly reaps the rewards of his glamorous, larger-than-life persona--the two people in his bed are proof enough of that. But she finds it a shame he must cloak his true self, whatever that may be. Speaking of the pair in the bedroom... if he knows no other guests, did those two arrive here with him? If so, why did they not get the spore treatment? She sets the thought aside until Fastolfe responds and the knives are--or, as is very likely, are not--accounted for.
    Last edited by choie; 27 Jun 2014 at 02:56 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Ok Dobson, we'll go with those two ideas and see what happens next."Rangin thinks Of course, the other thing we haven't looked for is anything that might kill the spores other than our assumed emotional reaction. Perhaps an anti-Berthold Ray device, or maybe even the spores given had been treated to have a very short lifespan."

Rangin gets out his comminucator and contacts the research station for assistance. He wants to get his readings from the plants that morning as well as the readings he took the day before of the plants and the spores taking effect analysed to make sure that nothing is wrong with them and the are genuine.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Lucy Anderson, the chief scientist at the Starfleet research station, responds to Rangin's call. She agrees to look over the data he's gathered, and will be back in touch once she's had the chance to do so. It might take a little while.

Fastolfe shrugs. "I have bitter musical and acting rivals. I have obsessed, psychotic fans. I have former bandmates, business associates, clingers and lovers who'd love to see me framed for murder, or dead. I get lots of hate mail. So yeah, there are many, many people who might try to set me up or kill me."

Adjetey returns from the other room in moments with a beautiful box of handcrafted, pearl-inlaid dark wood. She hands the box to Fastolfe, who unlatches it - it is otherwise unlocked - to reveal a purple-velvet-lined interior with one long knife - apparently identical to those you've already seen at the murder scene and in the resort vault - and four empty spaces.

"What the fuck...?" the rock star says.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Staring at the empty slots, Kylah straightens up slowly. She--and almost certainly her crewmates--expected two knives to be missing: the confiscated blade and the murder weapon. But four? A ripple of unease snakes down her spine, and she has to prevent herself from visibly shuddering. "Lord Fastolfe," she says quietly. "When did you last open this box? Why did you bring such weapons to the planet in the first place?" After a quick look at Graham, she returns to focus on the rock star. "And we will need to know the names of everyone, including those who work for you and those with whom you spent the night, who had an opportunity to open--or even merely handle--this case."

Her voice is steady but her mind races even while trying to discern if Fastolfe is genuinely surprised. Two more knives. Two more, out there somewhere. Where are they? Why so many? What is this killer planning?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fastolfe does, she perceives, seem genuinely surprised.

"I last opened the box yesterday," he said, "after we came here to this house. And I brought them here because I'm almost always armed - as I said, I have a lot of enemies." He thinks a moment. "Everyone in this house might have had access to the box, at one time or another. I haven't kept the door to that bedroom locked."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin thanks Dr Anderson for taking the time to look over his results. He expects all the results to be completely valid, but it is always worth getting an expert to check.

"Ok, Crewman Dobson, let's go see if we can locate Lt. Cmdr Ebling. We don't need to necessarily greet her, just get within view." Rangin makes a few adjustments to his tricorder to detect all the spores in an area and he wonders if the spores the aide said she still had will still appear on it...only one way to find out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Aye, Sir" Dobson says dutifully.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin and Dobson go to Ebling's guest quarters, but no one, including her two-person Security detail from the Yorktown, is there.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah nods. "Of course," she says in response to Fastolfe mentioning his enemies. Act like a Targ with a pair of infected tusks and one is unlikely to make friends. She realizes that this could apply to herself as well, and moves quickly past this unfortunate truth. "Am I correct in presuming that all the other knives were in place when you removed the one you used during yesterday's..." She flips a hand over and lets herself smile briefly. "...Display of temper, shall we call it, with Mr. Wilson? Can you or Ms. Adjetey tell us exactly when this house been vacant since that time, if any? There seem to be several others who accompanied you to the planet, or at least are currently visiting--" After a slight hesitation, she frowns. "Indeed, when we rang your door chime earlier and received no immediate response, we scanned and found seven life forms. You and Ms. Adjetey are two; then there is that large man who opened the door for us--who seems such a natural bodyguard that I am surprised you must worry about arming yourself--is another, and I believe I saw two others in the bedroom."

She feels her face flush, which annoys her to no end. Embarrassed? After what you yourself did? "Speaking of whom, did you meet them here on the planet, or are they traveling companions? At any rate, that makes five. May I ask, who else is in the house? And could you or Ms. Adjetey please tell us all their names? We need to know when this house was vacant and thus possibly vulnerable to a break-in."

She looks from Adjetey to Fastolfe and tilts her head. "Are you not curious why we are asking you to account for your weapons, Lord Fastolfe? Perhaps you have already gleaned this from our questions. Regardless, I shall tell you: A knife matching yours was found beside Mr. Wilson's body." Kylah lets a heartbeat pass before she adds softly: "With Mr. Wilson's blood... and your fingerprints."
    Last edited by choie; 28 Jun 2014 at 03:28 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Hmm, not here, time to go and look around the resort to see if we can find her. Perhaps ask at reception if they know where the good Lt. Cmdr may have gone."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"On it, Sir" Dobson rushes off to the reception desk. Once there, she will ask whoever is on duty if they know the whereabouts of, or can help locate, Lt. Cmdr. Ebling.

Closed thread