Closed thread
Page 22 of 82 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 4096

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Feb 2009

An interesting situation thinks Rangin with plenty of possibilities and he decides that the best thing to do in this situation is for Collins to earn her pay as the person in charge. After all, she is the leader, its her role to take charge and she should be able to do it. It's doing her a favour in making her take responsibility, especially if Vargas is resigning in the near future.

"Sir", says Rangin looking directly at Collins, "What would you like us to do?"
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"We'll do shifts. Rangin and Graham, you take the first shift. Delaney and I will relieve you at 0400. Then T'Var and Kylah will take over at 1200 tomorrow."
    So, yay, you made a decision. Big whoop.
    "During your shift, you'll stay here at the spa, keep your eyes open, and try to make contact with either the Admiral or his aide, or both, at least once." She turns to T'Var and Delaney "Ensign Kylah has already made dinner arrangements. Where do you two want to eat?"
    Then to Rangin and Graham "We'll see you at shift change."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah glances at the others, then returns to Collins in disbelief. Can the woman not even tell time?

"I beg your pardon, sir, but it is only nearly six now. Perhaps I miscounted, but I believe you have put Ensign Rangin and Ensign Graham on a ten-hour night shift without any preparation, including the opportunity to have their meal as planned. Might you not begin this schedule after dinner, at least? Surely waiting two more hours, if you ascertain that the Admiral is well--and perhaps Mr. Graham might arrange coverage for this gap with resort security--will not cause a problem.

"Further, what will those of us not 'on shifts' be doing? And may I suggest that we meet at breakfast to organize and report as necessary? By working as a group we might be able to fill in what others might have missed, rather than relying on... without leaving gaps in our intelligence."

She does her best not to sound icy, but she has lost what little patience she has left. This arrogant human is trying to tell her she has issues? The woman is playing dress-up as an officer.
    Last edited by choie; 30 Dec 2013 at 02:14 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Ensign Kylah, I have been forgiving of you blurting out the obvious for the whole of this mission. But enough is enough." Collins wants to shout at Kylah and beat the living daylights out of her, but keeps her voice steady and her posture firm. "Of course the first shift will start after dinner. I didn't think that needed to be stated since we'd already agreed to have dinner. But I assumed that Rangin and Graham would want to eat light and confer without mundane dinner conversations distracting them."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah breathes deeply, infuriated. An incompetent and a liar. She cannot believe the others will not see this. "Without my 'blurting the obvious,' you--you would--" Realizing she is perilously near losing control, she has to clamp her lips shut for a second before continuing in a low, dry voice. "I retract that. My apologies, sir. I was very wrong to have suggested you did not account for every eventuality. Clearly my inexperience has been manifest throughout this mission. I appreciate your forebearance."

She turns to the others. "Enjoy your meals," she says shakily, aiming the words more at the general vicinity of her crewmates rather than anyone in particular, and begins to walk off.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin blinks at the completely unexpected response to his question. Not asking for options, but immediately swinging into a defensive frame of mind and thinking only of protection. "Sir, if the situation is as serious as you believe it to be, requiring us to maintain a 24 hour presence in the resort, would it not be worth asking both the Yorktown and the research station for assistance."

He turns to Graham. "Mr Graham what, in your long experience, should we be looking out for in the resort. Finding the Admiral should be easy, we merely tour the restaurants to find the one he is dining in and make contact that way. But I am unsure what signs would be noticeable when I am not even sure what I am supposed to be looking for."

Rangin maintains his outwardly calm composure in addressing his colleagues.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham's a bit taken aback by the heated discussion, but first things first. "Hey, hold on a second, Ensign--" he says to Kylah, holding up hand to show Rangin he heard him but needs a minute. "If we, um, want to all discuss options," he continues, glancing toward Collins and hoping she doesn't feel he's out of line, "before we break up, I think there are a few things that need to be done over the next few hours." He clears his throat.

"The bottom line is we'll all feel really bad in more ways than one if anything bad were to happen to Admiral Hardin--maybe this sounds callous, but I'll call it like it is, I'll feel worse if anything were to happen to him than some of the other guests." Like Fastolfe, he thinks, but for Delaney's sake doesn't mention anyone by name. "But any connection between the intrusion attempt and the old guy is still just a pretty thin theory. So it'd be great if somebody could do some background digging on him. And for a couple of us to talk to him...even if we don't pry, we should find out where he's staying. If we can talk to Lionel Hsu maybe he can set us up with some kind of solid remote surveillance." He shrugs. "I'm as up for an all nighter as the next person if we need to pull 'em, but those of us with, ah, 'vast experience,'" he says glancing at Rangin. "Are getting a little old to do it unnecessarily."

He pauses for a moment to collect his thoughts: he's surprised some kind of routine for check-ins by Kylah hasn't already been worked out--but then it looks like she and Collins are at odds about something. "Um, lieutenant," he says to Collins, "since you suggested Rangin and I take first shift we can look for Hardin and Hsu. And, ah..." He looks at Kylah. "We should have a set schedule for check-ins via communicator..." He points at himself and then Science Guy. "Periodically with me and Rangin while we're out and about should do the trick." He pauses and then looks back at Collins, shrugging and trying to put a light-hearted touch on something that's seems essential to him if a team member is working solo undercover. He says a bit jokingly, "It really wouldn't do now for us to all go our separate ways and find out tomorrow morning that Ensign Kylah's missing in action."
    Last edited by general_urko; 30 Dec 2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: tweaked last line

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Right. New plan. Hourly check-ins. And Delaney, you do the background check on Hardin and his aide. I'll do first shift with Rangin, T'Var, you work with Delaney, and Graham - just be available if someone," Collins looks towards Kylah, "needs help"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah whips her head around to look at Rangin, whose calming demeanor should, usually, assist her--but now she is just too embarrassed at being upbraided yet again for making suggestions that the Lieutenant should have thought of herself.

Then Graham's words arrest her further. He is, not surprisingly, far more prepared and detailed at issuing orders. She doubts Collins will have a problem with all that Graham has 'blurted' despite his having completely overridden the Lieutenant's orders far more than Kylah's simple suggestions did.

She listens patiently; none of it sounds wrong. Until his remark about her going missing in the morning. Just what is he expecting? And of course, Collins switches direction and listens patiently to every word from Graham's lips.

"Your cautions are noted," she says tightly. "However. I must remind you I am going to dinner with a known, repeat guest who has been here for many months, at a public restaurant located in this very building. He will then take me on a tour of the resort's amenities, which are hardly unpopulated or remote. What precisely do you think will happen?"

She abruptly lifts her hand. "No. Do not answer that, please. I wish to be able to keep my dinner down. I shall ask this instead. How do you expect me to learn how guests see this resort, to make this man at ease, if I am to check in every hour like a child leaving home for the first time?"

Kylah raises her chin defiantly. "Tell me, Mr. Graham. Would you ask a male officer to communicate every hour and risk losing the confidence of an interview subject? For that is all he is. Perhaps you forget that my purpose in this dinner is in learning how addictive these spores are, how much autonomy guests actually have under their treatment, and to identify how the resort treats guests when they are not in Starfleet uniform." She looks at T'Var and Delaney with some hope of their understanding her point of view, then back at Graham. "This man is not some sort of suspect, he is a potential victim--if the spores are indeed being misused to drain his bank account. I simply cannot gain his trust by calling in every sixty minutes as if I believe him an escaped criminal--or as if you believe me to be one." She folds her arms across her chest. "A far more reasonable request would be that I communicate when we have left the restaurant, and then when I am to return to the station."

She walks slowly up to Graham until she is inches away, her chest up against his, looking up at him with as cool a gaze as possible. After a pause, her hand suddenly dips into one of the bare areas of her dress and in a flash her knife now presses itself against Graham's belly. "What do you think, Mr. Graham?" she whispers, keeping the knife between their stomachs so only he can feel it, much less see it. "Do you think I can handle myself?"
    Last edited by choie; 30 Dec 2013 at 07:27 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As I've written repeatedly before, Starfleet parlance is "watches," not "shifts." Thanks.

Delaney says, a little crossly, "Could everyone just calm down, please?" He says to Graham and Kylah, in particular, "Is there some problem here, Ensigns?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah secretly returns her knife to its hilt with a swift, smooth gesture of her hand and looks steadily at Graham with a raised eyebrow. By the time she turns around again her hands are clasped in front of her. "No, Lieutenant Delaney. There is not," she says in a cool voice.

Registered
    May 2013

Well this is unexpected, Graham thinks as Kylah gets in his face. Her intensity and the fire in her eyes as she looks up at him reminds him of arguments with Elizabeth. Of course, there are also differences: there had been many, many such confrontations, but during none of them had his daughter ever been practically naked and pressing her breasts against his chest. She had also never been carrying a shiv (at least to his knowledge)—Graham’s impressed, and also a little entertained, by Kylah’s hidden knife. Assuming she knows how to use it—which he does—he gives her credit for packing a little something extra. But that’s about the only thing he feels good about.

So maybe this is what’s going on, he thinks: she feels like she needs to prove something. That’s a damn dangerous state of mind--he suspects this is related to the conflict between her and Collins. But regardless, he also keys in on one more difference between arguing with Lizzie and the present moment: he didn’t know much about being a good father, but he does know a lot about security.

When Kylah steps back and Delaney gets pissed, Graham glances at the engineer and shakes his head just slightly.

He turn back to Kylah and holds her eyes—wanting to prove something is a bad head space to be in, but if she’s gotten there because she has been or at least feels she has been treated with insufficient respect he can start to turn that around right now. He lays even odds she craps all over what he has to say, but he resolves to tell her the unedited straight-up truth about where he’s coming from—what he would say to his daughter. What he would say to a son. What he would say to a security officer assigned to him as a mentee.

“I did my first undercover assignment when I was about your age,” he says, slowly, quietly, and evenly. “I wanted to prove myself, make my bones as the old saying goes—I volunteered for all the most dangerous work—smugglers, slavers, real bad news.” He nods a little. “Like you, I questioned how you could keep things natural and still make time for status checks. So…” he spreads his hands a little—staying well below the level of her cleavage. “I didn’t make it a priority. One night I missed three consecutive windows for checking in.” He frowns a little. “So the CO pulled the plug—broadcast ‘officer needs assistance’ and the cavalry came transporting and door-kicking into the compound we were in from every direction.” He shakes his head. “Blew our case. I was so damn mad—I confronted him, said I was about to get inside the inner circle, that I wasn’t afraid to take the risk, to do what it took…that I could handle it—or die trying.”

He blows out a long breath. “He said to me: I’m sure you’re very brave, and very capable. But do you know why the good guys win and the bad guys lose—not on each given day, not necessarily in the short run, but in the long run? Because the people we hunt are animals. They’ll as soon kill you as look at you, but they’ll also abandon or turn on their own in a second if it’s in their interest, Life is cheap to them.” He steeples his hands in front of his mouth for a moment. “And then he said: It’s not cheap to us. We take care of each other. We don’t play fast and loose, no matter how convenient it may be or how safe it may seem.”

Graham nods. “Now, sure, it’s damn unlikely this guy is an animal or a criminal. Sure we can be sensible about how we handle status checks. But we don’t know a thing for certain. And I am sure you can handle yourself very, very well—you deserve a lot of credit for setting this up.” He pauses for a moment. “But I’ve beamed more than enough very capable young officers—male and female--back to a ship in a bag for one lifetime. At times and places where we never thought it could happen.”

He leans in very close to Kylah. “If you want to show me how well you use your…ah, special equipment, name the time and I’ll meet you in the Yorktown gym,” he says very quietly and with genuine respect, then he draws back a little and raises his voice a bit and speaks very slowly. “But out here we are all on the same team—the only competition that matters is how mission by mission, a good team prevents good people from getting hurt.”

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks up at this man, so obviously experienced, so used to the situations he can comprehend: bad criminals; good officers. His quiet tone only exacerbates her vulnerbility brought on by the cruel words spoken to her. She cannot be angry with him, but her frustration makes her tremble and she fights to control it.

"Mr. Graham," she says very quietly. "Yours will be the voice listened to at the end of this. Mine will not. No matter how much reason I speak, it is not heard. So I ask you to be my voice, and for that to happen, I must beg you to hear me.

"There are two arguments against your words. First, you speak of smugglers and slavers. Do you not see the difference? I am meeting a man who is not only not even a suspect of such things, but he is being treated with spores that very specifically are proven to induce passivity and bliss. They are antithetical to violence. How can you believe I would be in danger from such a person?"

She lowers her tone further until the world seems to consist of only Booker Graham and Kylah, and stares up at him as intently as she knows how.

"And second... we are not a team. We are people randomly assigned to a ship. People who can do just as much harm as any outsider, no matter what Starfleet might wish us to believe." Kylah finds her voice quavering and she must try her best to prevent the wounds of the last two days from stabbing her all over again. "You saw just how little being on the same 'team' mattered in the rec room the other day. And whether you believe it or not, I have had more proof of it here, on this mission, less than an hour ago. Maybe it is my fault," she admits, looking down for a moment. "I believe it very well may be. I do not seem equipped to inspire collegiality in others. I am treated as a mere ornament and my best advice is dismissed."

Kylah blinks, hoping she can stave off tears. "No, I do not have faith in my teammates, and they certainly do not have faith in me. And I believe I will not have a third mission if I cannot complete a simple interview on my own. Perhaps even if I can." She shakes her head and whispers: "Please, Mr. Graham. Recommend a reasonable check-in schedule such as I have requested. She will listen to you. Please."

Registered
    May 2013

Holy freaking crap, Graham thinks, what the hell is going on here? Part of him wants to pull the plug on the whole thing--not because Kylah's arguments are wrong. He concedes they are valid. But unit cohesion is in the toilet...

He realizes he needs to make a call: she's almost certainly right, there's a one in a million chance something goes south. And when you make the call wrong, he thinks with a pang, you know what it feels like, don't you Booker? But should this young officer's pride suffer for your doubts and your guilt?

Very slowly, deliberately, and clearly he says "I trust your judgment and your analysis of this particular meeting, Ensign Kylah." He glances at Collins and then Delaney. "If it's my call, check in at any change of location...give me destination and route if you can before heading to the next one. I'm sure you'll find a way." He pauses and lowers his voice. "And, if anything feels weird you hit the panic button. I don't have the rank anymore to order you to do it. I'm asking you to do it--as...as a friend."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah wants to grab Graham's hand in appreciation for his support, but knows she cannot be so demonstrative--she will look like a girl clutching onto her father, or a woman flirting with a lover. Either one is hardly the impression she wishes to give. Instead she just looks up at Graham with heartfelt relief that someone is finally taking her seriously--and even calling her a friend--and murmurs: "Thank you, Mr. Rangin. I--I believe that is sensible."

As she turns to face Collins again, still upset, shaken and defiant but at least now feeling her reason has provided her with some ally, she catches Rangin's eye. What are his thoughts? She wishes she could take him aside and explain why this matters so much to her.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin is not precisely sure what has happened between Kylah, Collins and Graham during this visit, and he's not sure he wants to know. Graham, at least, is showing his experience and has already got Collins to change her mind, as if she had managed to make it up in the first place. Old dog, old tricks, really.

And now, Collins wanted to carry out the first watch with him. He was a Biologist, not a security officer. Did she really think he would as capable as some of the crew from the Yorktown if there was such an emergency. The other matter that appeared to have vanished from everyone's minds is the report they were supposed to be doing on the resort. Although everyone else seemed certain that WR&R were pulling a fast one, even Kylah seemed sure on that point and was going to dinner to prove it. As for Collins, perhaps he could find out what was on her mind. She had been fidgety during the chess match only last night, then fine this morning and now something appeared to be bugging her.

Besides, he wondered if anyone had considered that the attempt might have been made by the Yorktown just to test out what is going on. Nah, leave it to the experts, Rangin thought.

Shame really, with all this going on, he wasn't going to be going hiking tomorrow with T'Var and the Gunarssons. He'd been looking forward to that.

As Kylah finishes talking to Graham, Rangin sees her turn and smile at him. It's not a happy smile, more one from someone who needs reassurance or acceptance. He smiles a warm smile back at her and gives her a nod, that she will hopefully recognise as being on her side.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is so surprised by Rangin's warm smile that she nearly returns it. But just as swiftly as the instinct flashes within her, she realizes that if Collins sees her connecting with the men in such a way, the Lieutenant will take it as more proof that she's trying to curry favor in an inappropriate manner. She can only let her eyes speak her feelings for her.

She then looks forward at Collins. "It is your decision," she says shakily. "I hope you will consider your security colleague's advice on the matter. I must leave soon, for my appointment is almost past its time."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Graham's suggestions are valid," Collins feels defeated and alone. She wants another dose. She wants to be in her own room, in her own bed, where her mind can travel unencumbered. I am not ready for command. Why did I think I was. What the hell does the Captain see in me that the other rightfully don't? "Ensign Kylah, you are dismissed to enjoy your dinner interview. The rest of us will figure out a workable schedule over dinner, and update you when we have it. Do stay in touch, though, and don't be too proud to call for help if it's needed." She looks at her team one at a time, finally resting her eyes on Graham. With her eyes, she thanks him for his defense of her, and for being the voice of reason.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Collins, says goodnight to the others, and hurries away from the lobby without further ado. As soon as she turns a corner she has to stop and lean a hand on the wall for support. Despite having prevailed she feels little pleasure in it--as she suspected, it was only Graham's words that Collins listened to, not her own. Kylah's gratitude toward Graham cannot make her feel better about this; yet again, an older man holds the reins over her activities.

She closes her eyes, trying to get her spriits in a better place for her engagement this evening. But everything has been such a struggle, it always has been, and her whole body feels like one big knot of sore muscle. She simply cannot erase the memory of her confrontations with Collins.

Kylah runs a weary hand over her eyes. The irony of her pushing to be allowed to attend the dinner unencumbered by onerous requirements is that she does not even wish to attend it at all. She would far rather be in a quiet restaurant with Velir Rangin and listen to his good sense and calming voice than anything right now. And to feel his hand covering hers in warmth and friendship, and possibly more...

But that will likely not happen. He does not see her this way. He likely sees her as Graham does, a child who must be placated and at best treated with sympathy. All her hopes earlier were only a silly fantasy.

Kylah swallows back the embarrassment of false hopes and, girdng herself, walks to Giuseppe's.
    Last edited by choie; 31 Dec 2013 at 11:11 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Once Kylah has left, Rangin turns to Collins. "Well Sir, if we are going to be on first watch, food sounds like a great idea." His face becomes thoughtful as he poses his next question. "I'll be honest, security detail like this is not something I have really ever done before, though allnighters are common enough in a lab waiting for some experiment to finish, so I'm looking forward to learning something new."

Registered
    May 2013

As Kylah walks away, it occurs to Graham to say, "Just remember, act like you don't know me when I show up as your waiter...breadsticks anyone?" That would have been a joke--but under the circumstances he decides she probably wouldn't find it funny, so he remains silent.

When Collins looks toward him he gives her a nod and a little encouraging fist pump. Everybody has a bad day, he thinks--the key is holding it together nonetheless.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah, exhausted and uncertain how she'll survive this dinner after what she's been through today, enters Giuseppe's. The restaurant is very old-fashioned, with red-and-white-checked tablecloths, candles stuck atop wicker-wrapped wine bottles, and what appears to be a low white tin ceiling. Only three other tables are occupied at the moment. White-aproned waiters stand attentively by.

Jan Švehla, dressed elegantly but casually, is already seated in a cozy booth for two. He stands as Kylah approaches. "So good to see you again! I'm glad you could meet me for dinner. May I call you Kylah? Please, call me Jan."

Kylah raises her hand to shake his. "Of course, thank you for inviting me, Jan," she says with as pleasant an air as she can fake. "Although I fear I may have dressed inappropriately for the venue." And she had been so proud about the dress. Now she cannot help but doubt everything about herself, the dress included.

She sits and examines the attractive man near her. He seems in an even better mood than before, and despite everything, it is infectious. Kylah remembers her reaction to the guests' spore-enhanced emotions during the introduction phase and wonders if Jan, too, is affecting her. Perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing to allow it--just to ease her own still-fractious emotions so she can get through tonight. She manages to smile.

"It is a pleasure to be off-duty at last," she says, although she's really still working. "The resort offers so much, but during our duty hours we cannot experience it as a guest does, neither the spore induction nor any of the recreational activities. I hope you will consider showing me whatever you like best."

"Certainly," he says, grinning, as a waiter approaches. "You could probably go places behind the scenes that I couldn't, but whatever I can show you would be my pleasure. And please, don't apologize for your dress! You look delightful. It suits you better than red, if I may say."

"Good evening, madame, and sir," the waiter says. "Something to drink? An appetizer?"

Švehla says to Kylah, "The calamari is quite good. Would you like to try it?" He turns and says to the waiter, "I'll have a glass of the house red, please."

The compliment about the dress doesn't remove her worries that Collins purposely misguided her. When he makes his behind-the-scenes comment, she reassures him. "That is precisely what I do not wish to see. We have been taken on 'official' tours all day. I hoped you might show me a more personal view--so we might know something of a guest's true experience. I will likely never have an opportunity to visit here as you do." Or wish to. If it weren't for these dinner plans, she would be happy to escape this planet at once.

The waiter's arrival makes her hesitate and listen to Jan's suggestion. Kylah has never heard of calamari; probably one of the boiled wheat dishes common in this Earth region's fare. "I shall follow your lead," she says with a nod to the waiter. "And may I have a glass of white wine, please?" White seems to have less of an effect on her.

The waiter gives a friendly nod and leaves.

A thought occurs to Kylah that she did not hear brought up by the medical staff. "Forgive me, Jan, I know so little about this treatment... does alcohol cause any problems with people under the influence of the spores? Does it enhance the effects in any way?"

He thinks a moment. "I don't think the spores change your reaction to alcohol at all. At least, it doesn't for me. I can't say I've read any medical studies or anything - but then again, I haven't gone out of my way to get drunk here, either. Two or three glasses of wine is usually my limit." He smiles and leans closer. "If you don't my asking... you're Elasian, right? I've never met one before. How do you like Starfleet? I thought about signing up when I was a lot younger. Why did you join?"

Once he draws nearer, Kylah's eyes widen slightly. A sudden flow of happiness, of calmness, has radiated toward her. She's still making no attempt to use her empathic abilities, but his emotions are pushing toward her nevertheless. The result is not as intensely intoxicating as when she was studying the group of inductees back in the introduction room, but it's very potent.

This afternoon, T'Var had helped her remove herself from the situation so as to shake off the effects. Right now, the feelings washing over her are so needed, such a relief after her horrible day, she cannot produce the will to push them away. Against her better judgment, she does not.

His mention of her race reaches through her slight mental haze. She is taken aback. "Yes, I am from Elas. I--I have never known anyone to identify my background correctly," she murmurs in wonder. And there's some pleasure at the thought that for once, her background is unquestioned. She smiles. The emotions flowing from him to her are like a gift of a warm blanket to a frozen stranger. She doesn't think to ask him how he knows she's from Elas. She's too busy trying to come up with a good response to his question about her career choice. She certainly cannot answer honestly.

She says, "I suppose I saw Starfleet as a great challenge. There are so many different people, and rules, and ways of thinking, it took a while for me to get used to it all. I am not certain I have adjusted even yet. I am not... I do not fully fit in." The words come out automatically and yet they are not bitter, as they would have been if spoken immediately after her confrontation with Collins. She doesn't even regret them. Do spores make it difficult to lie? Or rather, do they make one want to be honest? I did not think I would be this affected by him, she thinks in somewhat dazed curiosity, glancing down at her hand resting on the table and noticing that it's not very far from his. Not far at all. In fact... but no. She has to concentrate in order to pull it slightly backward. I...I must be careful.

"But I am very glad I joined, as there are people I would never have met without it." Kylah thinks of Velir Rangin and her voice softens, because now when she looks at Jan she imagines Velir. "Perhaps... perhaps that is why I joined. To find new people. And have experiences I have never had before." She glances down shyly for a moment before continuing. "Why did you not join, Jan? You are a man of leisure, I believe you said? Or do you have a vocation?"

The waiter brings their wines, and he raises his in a toast to her. They clink their glasses together and drink, and then he says, "There just never seemed to be a good time to join. You know? There was always something else that, right at that moment, I was more interested in doing." He smiles wryly. "I'm also not all that good at following the rules, and friends of mine in Starfleet tell me that's kind of a big thing. As for what I do now, I'm an investment banker - mostly colonial bonds, communications and timber. Pretty boring stuff, actually, but I do all right."

Kylah has to nod--not at his calling his job boring, although she always has found financial matters overwhelming--but at his pronouncement of how many rules Starfleet has. "Yes, Starfleet is not a place for one who cannot follow the rules. Or who cannot lead, for that matter," she adds with a hint of mischievous honesty that again takes her by surprise. It is not like her to speak so out of turn to a stranger, even if she is upset at Collins. Or was. Right now the argument feels very distant. She slowly finishes her glass of wine and sets it down, and this time her fingers do accidentally touch Jan's. The sensation shocks her and she breathes in quickly, savoring it. If only he were Velir, this evening would be so perfect... She cannot even close her eyes and pretend. She remembers very well how Velir's hand felt when she held onto him back on shore leave, when she squeezed his fingers at the Captain's dinner. Jan does not feel the same. His hands are larger but his skin is cooler. Velir is very warm...

She pulls her hand back and shakes her head to clear it and waits for the appetizers to arrive. When the calamari proves to be a kind of marine animal, Kylah is greatly pleased, and does not even think before picking the ring up in her fingers the Elasian way and tasting it with a careful bite. "This is delicious," she says after swallowing. Everything smells and tastes very vivid. The wine, the light batter on the ringed flesh, the hint of the sea on her tongue. She licks the salty taste from her fingers, closing her eyes in pleasure, but then suddenly remembers herself. With a rueful smile, she reaches for the napkin on her lap.

"Do you meet many people at the resort?" she asks Jan, unable to tell if he was offended by her Elasian table manners. In truth, she's feeling, at long last, too good to be embarrassed. "I forget if this is your first visit. Are there social events where single guests may meet someone to... well, to have dinner with? Or dance? Is there even dancing here?" The thought of dancing while "on" spores piques her curiosity. If tastes and scents are so powerful, not to mention the mere brush of her fingers against his, being in someone's embrace must be almost... sinful. Kylah flushes and looks at her empty glass. She doesn't even remember drinking it.

"More wine?" he asks, noticing her empty glass but tactfully not saying anything about how quickly she drained it. "And yes, I've met some people here. There are some social events intended for singles, including dances, and I've been to a couple, but nobody's really caught my eye. I tend to keep to myself unless I feel particularly drawn to someone... like tonight." He looks her right in the eye and smiles.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 31 Dec 2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Kylah's dialogue by choie; Švehla's by Elendil's Heir.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"There may be much going on beneath the surface that we are not allowed to see," T'Var says with a sigh. "Mr. Delaney is correct. This is no coincidence."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"If you would not mind me asking sir", Rangin turns to Dr T'Var, "What exactly are you expecting to find out about this place? What will convince you either way whether this place is as genuine as it appears to be or whether there is something wrong?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Let's all discuss it over dinner. How does the OC3 Bistro sound to you guys?" Collins tries to sound upbeat.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham briefly considers strenuously objecting--which would also be a joke. But as with Kylah he concludes Collins probably isn't in the mood right now for that sort of humor and just nods.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney says, "That'd be fine with me."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Sounds good to me," answers Rangin, "that way I believe." he points down the hallway towards the restaurants.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Yorktown's landing party, minus Kylah, is soon comfortably seated at the OC3 Bistro. You order your food, which is soon prepared and placed before you. Everything is just right, although Delaney finds his Pacifican shad is a little undercooked, and sends it back. The waiter is quite apologetic.

The restaurant is somewhat crowded, but you can't help but notice a group of four turtle-like Rigellians seated at a nearby table. They seem to be enjoying their food.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Rigellian

Registered
    Feb 2009

"So? What's your assessment so far?" Collins asks her tablemates

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"We have been shown what the resort wants us to see," T'Var begins. "This, of course, is logical."

The doctor takes a bite of the turkey club she ordered. It is quite good, though perhaps in need of a bit more bacon and mayo. The rye bread is much too dry for the Vulcan's taste. She takes a sip of her water.

"We have witnessed several incidents which lead me to believe there are problems here. We must endeavor to dig deeper if we can."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin is highly surprised by Collins question. It's probably the first sensible thing she has done since arriving on the planet. He's also surprised by T'Var tucking into a club sandwich as he thought all Vulcans were vegetarian. Oh well, live and learn.

"I don't believe this resort is anything more than a resort for the rich and famous to relax and enjoy themselves. It's a high price,so they can afford all the extras like the spore therapy. Agreed, we have been shown what the report more or less wants, but they have answered all our questions fully I believe. Will they go out of their way to make this as seamless as possible, of course, but they have admitted to issues which they, at least, appear to have resolved."

Rangin twirls an onion ring round one finger. "The only issue I have seen so far which could and should be of concern are both incidents with knives being brandish, the first of which does not reflect well on the resort, and the second does not reflect well on us. My opinion of course," he says fixing Collins and Graham with his gaze.

He takes a bite before continuing. "Other than that, I'm not sure what we are going to be looking for. Might be worth following up with the records to confirm that what they said happened actually happened. Although if they were any kind of outfit, those logs will match. So, as I asked earlier, what are we expecting to find or not?"

Rangin polishes off the rest of the onion ring.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham notices the hairy eyeball he gets from Rangin and swallows a bite of his tasty burger. His feels neither defensive, nor argumentative--on the one hand, Rangin expressed his point of view respectfully and in the right context, on the other Graham feels no need to apologize. He shrugs and replies amiably enough. "My take was Wilson's intention was to politely jerk us around while we're here and just as politely dismiss anything we had to say--counting on the fat that a low-level team of Starfleet dweebes--no disrespect, Lieutenants--would be unwilling to go actually go so far as to call renewing the contract into question. I felt we ought to plant a little doubt in his mind about that game plan." He glances at Collins briefly--then pauses for a moment and then gets a bit more serious.

"But see here's the thing--a place like this, they never want anything to tarnish their perfect image. At least from a security perspective, there's two ways you can do that--have things buttoned up tight and manage the fact that some rich jerks will get pissy when you scan their luggage or whatever, or let things slide on the front end and hope nothing bad will happen--like some ass packing a weapon going off on somebody--or cover it up when it happens. I'm feeling like either that's Wilson's MO, or maybe top management's and the guy's not so bad but just stuck dealing with it. So maybe this outfit is up to something fishy, maybe not--but the knife things worries me they're not as up to dealing with external threats as they should be, at the least." He rubs his jaw. "I guess you could argue it's not entirely our business--except we just dropped off an Admiral. Hell imagine what Orions or Klingons could make of this if they figured out to watch for times when flag officers or their families were soft targets for any mole or hired gun."
    Last edited by general_urko; 02 Jan 2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: slight edit for clarity

Registered
    Mar 2012

Jan's compliment seems to ring in the air while Kylah absorbs it. "You are very kind, but I cannot believe that you spend much time alone…" Her voice fades as she meets Jan’s shining blue gaze, which seems only inches away now. Has he moved nearer, or has she?

She doesn't feel like herself, certainly not the Kylah who walked in here, so frightened, sad, and weighed down by doubt. Now she's light as gossamer, her dark thoughts receding the closer she draws to Jan and his golden hair gleaming in the candlelight.

Her mind is lucid enough to know that it's his very proximity that's influencing her. Even without invoking her empathic powers, she cannot prevent herself from being affected by the spores she's mistrusted so much.

But how can anyone mistrust what feels so right? The warmth they provide reaches from Jan to surround her like a milky-smooth bath caressing her bare flesh. A miasma of pleasure and peace. What did he ask before? ‘More wine?’ Of what use would alcohol be now? Why would anyone need more than this?

And yet, as her fingertips try to cover the top of her glass to refuse more wine and land where his are already resting, a jolt goes through her--and suddenly she does need something more. Something her mind fights against, but her physical being… her body… is beginning to crave.

Kylah cannot help herself; she absently strokes his hand beneath hers. Her breathing quickens. Despite the delicious torpor taking over, warning bells are going off. Intellectually she knows something is wrong. It is the Sakathian onslaught all over again: her weak empathic control is dissolving the boundary between his feelings and hers.

She struggles to maintain focus on the mission. “Do you… do you feel no reason to return to Earth? Since you have a business, can you really stay away so long? I would be worried that the spores are… are not making me think rationally.”

Even as the words reflect her own concerns, her traitorous fingers roam across Jan’s skin as if they have a will of their own; she is in awe of how every normally subtle sensation has magnified. Without thought she entwines her fingers with his, needing to be surrounded by his strength.

Stop, stop this, it is inappropriate. Fighting her physical impulses, Kylah whispers, “Forgive me,” and tries to draw her hand away.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I still don't think the resort's at much risk of attack from foreign powers," Delaney says thoughtfully, taking another bite of his now-well-cooked fish, returned with the murmured apologies of the waiter, "given how far inside the Federation it is, but I can definitely see the danger of a criminal gang or kidnappers striking here, given the clientele. And it's only smart to consider worst-case scenarios."

"You have nothing to apologize for," Švehla tells Kylah. His voice is quiet. He freely lets her pull her hand back, but leaves his atop the table. "My business is such that I can be away for awhile - not months and months, not forever, but longer than I had, perhaps, planned in the first place. I feel as rational as ever, and as far as I can tell I think just as clearly as ever; I'm just much happier and more relaxed than I usually am. It's funny, I know it's the spores that are making me this way - I know it intellectually, you see, but it doesn't bother me in the least, and it feels no less genuine or real. Does that make any sense at all?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's mind is somewhat clearer without the physical bond, and she inhales deeply. "It makes some sense," she says slowly. "Perhaps it is--it would be--my nature to question what is real, and what the spores were telling me is real. But even if it were some sort of spell, I do not know if I would want to leave it."

She looks tenderly at him. She is grateful that she can experience the spores through him. As long as she can control herself, as she just did, there can be no harm.

"What I do not understand is... why should someone like you need them for happiness? I apologize, this may be too personal, but... you are successful, wealthy, healthy, and... and handsome. If it were me I would understand, the spores and the spa are an escape, as are the guests..." She shakes her head. "But what or whom do you seek?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

He looks down and shrugs. "I don't know, or I'm not sure, that I'm seeking anything, really, Kylah. I have a good life, and I know that." He looks up, and into her eyes again. "I'm happy, most days, and more fortunate than most, even in a free and prosperous society like the Federation. But... part of what my wealth gives me is the opportunity to try new things, to go places I've never been. A business associate had been here and told me all about it. She made me want to try it, too, and now that I have, I'm glad that I did."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Plant a little doubt in his mind.", repeats Rangin dropping his voice slightly, "It's been a while since I heard threats of violence and intimidation called that. Coridan, a few street thugs setting up a protection racket. Do what we say and everything will be fine, Don't and who knows what mishaps might happen. It's bullying, pure and simple."

Rangin looks straight back at Graham, "Strange you know. the reason I joined Starfleet was to get away from people like that, that the Federation was better than that. Was I mistaken?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"No. No, you weren't" Collins reassures Rangin "I'm sure what Graham meant was that we let Wilson know that the resort is under scrutiny; that the Federation is not going to blindly renew the contract. Not that the contract won't be renewed. It's like a physical. We're just here to make sure nothing has gone awry." She finishes her cola, and looks over at Graham. "Right?"

Registered
    May 2013

"Yeah," Graham replies dryly and a little absently to Collins. "Like a physical."

He tenses a little and lays both his hands flat on the table, dropping his eyes to look at them as he starts to talk. "'Do what we say or who knows what mishaps might happen...' Yeah, I know the type real well," he continues, looking up at Rangin. Graham shakes his head a little. "Wilson, Fastolfe, a 16 year-old wannabe Yakuza in New Tokyo, a trader salivating over how much he can pocket if he just ignores the fact that the cargo some Orion calling himself "Mr. Smith" wants him to move is people, not 'industrial parts' like it says on the manifest, whoever--they don't need to do what we say, and they don't need to wonder about 'mishaps.' They need know without question that when doing the wrong gets someone hurt, they are going to held accountable for it."

He looks back down at his hands and shrugs. Almost in a whisper he says "And that's the job right there."

And, he thinks, there's a very specific part of that job you haven't finished yet, isn't there, Booker?
    Last edited by general_urko; 03 Jan 2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: addes last line

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin fixes his gaze back across the table at Graham.

"It's not holding them accountable, its threatening to punish them, to hurt them, that's your idea of the job right there, because waving a knife under someone's nose isn't about making them aware of consequences of the law. You know what, you remind me of home. Making sure people were aware of what would happen if they didn't do the right thing. Right, being whatever some local politician decided was best for them. " Rangin keeps his voice level, low and firm, "and don't give me that, I've got loads of experience, you're just young and don't know anything, I grew up with it. Coridan is such a fun place."

Rangin taps on the table a few times, fingers drumming as he ponders his next words and then leans forward.

"You'll probably say that you did nothing wrong," Rangin turns to Collins at the side, "with respect, I'm saying its wrong," before turning back to Graham, "the question is, what do you want to do about it. We may not all be friends round the table, but we are all in the Federation and supposed to support each other, so think about it."

Rangin leans back and downs the rest of his coffee. "If you will excuse me, nature calls.", he addresses to the table and stands up, "I'm also going to do a quick check of the other restaurants to see if I can spot the Vice-Admiral or his Aide. I'll check in if I see him. Shouldn't take long, Back in 10 minutes or so." and he heads off towards the restrooms.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah watches Jan intently--indeed, try though she might, she's hard-pressed to look away from him. She cannot tell if her empathic abilities are creating a bond between them or if the spores themselves are, or if it is simply that she feels friendship toward this stranger. She is losing her will to care.

"You have no idea how I envy you," she murmurs. "I have always been wealthy but it has not bought me any freedom. My family has power yet I have none. Of course I know I am far better off than so many people, it is churlish to complain when there are those suffering far more than I. Yet even so..." She lets her fingers brush the stem of the wine glass. "I thought joining Starfleet would show me a new path, one where I could be independent, but there are only more chains. There are so many ties on me now--my family, my government, Starfleet--I wish I could find some relief from them. Being with you, now, does help," Kylah adds hastily, "It helps tremendously. I do not fully understand how, although..."

She stops herself. She cannot mention the spores, because technically speaking she should not be able to experience them. She would have to reveal how she is being affected by them, and that she cannot do.

"Although it does not matter how," she finishes, shaking her head. "I just greatly appreciate the opportunity to be with you. But I know it will be fleeting. Dinner will end, and I will... I will not know this feeling again."

Registered
    May 2013

"I thought we were friends," Graham says a bit glumly, partly to Rangin's back as he walks away, partly to everyone around the table, partly to no one at all. He finds that last comment more biting than anything a xenobiologist has to say about his security practices, and his shoulders slump a little as he picks up the last of his tasty burger to finish before it gets cold.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var finishes her sandwich as she watches Rangin leave.

"Have we found out anything about former employees of the resort?" she asks Collins. "Do we have information about former guests who were not completely satisfied by their experience here?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"None the last time I checked," Collins opens her communicator as she answers, "but it's been a few hours since I checked." Into her communicator, she says "Collins to Yorktown. Have Mahmoud and Terezis heard back anything yet?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin does not see the admiral or his aide, but he does see Kylah and a good-looking somewhat older man through the large window of Giuseppe's. They are sitting very close together. The man seems very interested in her; Kylah is looking somewhat pensive at the moment.

Thalen reports from the ship, "Yes, we've had five former guests respond. I'll download the correspondence to Mr. Graham's tricorder." Collins and Graham see that four of the five are Human, and the other is Altairian. All are from star systems not far from OC3. Each had a great time; two hope to return to someday.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"What about former employees?" Collins asks Thalen via communicator "Any disguntling?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin checks at the front desk to see if there are any evening activities going on. It's a good way to socially interact with a large amount of people as well as get up close and personal in an agreed manner. Not to mention observe a large number of people while on watch

After that he heads back to the restaurant and sees the others still sitting there. He wanders across and sits nonchalantly back down at his chair. "Sir, any decisions?", he addresses to Collins, then continuing before she can say anything. "For my part, no sign of the Vice Admiral or his Aide eating in the establishments. Spotted Kylah having dinner, he looks happy, she is doing her job. Might want to ask Security here if they are locatable, just for safeties sake."

He leans back in his chair and looks at Collins and Graham, "Have you been shown their security office yet? You know, as part of the checking." Rangin keeps his face sincere, but knows that the chances of it happening were really small. Good at the physical parts and not so good at the box checking, these two.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Now's as good a time as any. Let's pay our tab and get out of here." Collins says, resisting the urge to comment on exactly what Kylah's job is. "Graham, you and Rangin check out the security office. Delaney and T'Var and I will track down the Admiral."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin doesn't move from his seat but just casually looks across at Collins. "Sorry Sir, I believe I missed you saying how you were going to find the Admiral. You do have a plan, sir?"

Rangin hopes that just for once, Collins will stop and think about what she is planning to do, instead of just reacting to everything. It might be a bit beyond her to realise she should change this, but its a start.

Closed thread