Closed thread
Page 20 of 82 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 4096

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Švehla says cheerfully, "They have five restaurants here, and I've tried them all. Hmm. Do you like pizza or Italian food? Giuseppe's is very good. I could meet you there in an hour, if you like."

Dr. Halsey shakes his head. "No, I don't know of any withdrawal problems. Never heard of anyone having them, other than brief, minor experiences of disorientation or depression; nothing major."

Capt. Singh replies from the starship high above, "Thank you, Mr. Collins. That would be fine. Carry on. Yorktown out."

Registered
    Sep 2009

nm
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Dec 2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: double post

Registered
    Mar 2012

An hour? Kylah blinks, surprised at the early invitation, but then remembers she did ask for a tour. Perhaps he means to spend the evening that way. It does not leave her much time to find a dress and prepare herself, but she will manage. However, she is a bit disappointed at the choice in restaurant--pizza was commonly served at the Academy and she grew weary of it. "Certainly, one hour, then," Kylah says agreeably.

When the call is over, and once Collins is done with her talk with the Captain, Kylah reports back. "We arranged to meet in an hour, Lieutenant. He seems very open and friendly," she adds with a reassuring look at Mr. Graham, then returns to Collins. "If we may go to Mazime's first, sir, that will help me get something quickly."

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Then let's hit it." Collins tells her roommate. "Fellas, we'll meet up in the lobby in an hour? Graham, please call T'Var and Rangin and let them know."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Thank you for your time Dr Halsey," Rangin says to him before Dr T'Var. "Shall we leave and see what we can find. I'm sure the resort will be lovely this time in the afternoon and there should be plenty of individuals around to check on."
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ens. Graham reaches Rangin and T'Var by communicator and passes the word. He, Collins, Delaney, Kylah and Mrs. Hsu then walk over the hill and back to the resort. Mrs. Hsu asks, "Where would you like to go next?"

Dr. Halsey says, "Nice to meet you both, and thanks for stopping by. You're welcome here anytime."

Kylah makes her way to Mazime's, which is multiroom store of clothes, shoes and accessories, much but not all of it pricey. A dressed-to-the-nines but friendly sales associate, Tina, shows her around. A sleek black dress soon catches the Communications officer's eye.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks back to see if Collins is anywhere nearby. They do not seem to agree on much, but another woman's taste would be helpful. Her gaze is soon drawn back to the gown. It is beautiful, and could almost be of Elasian design: like standard women's clothing on her planet, there are openings on the sides and a deep slit up the leg. Of course, on Elas, the sides would be completely open with slits on both sides--though the effect is rather skin-baring, the truth is, the reason for the openings is largely to ensure easy access to their hidden knives. Ancient law decrees women must not openly display weapons; foolish tradition, but one that even the previous Dohlman herself obeyed.

Hesitating, she removes the dress and takes it to a full-length mirror. Like a child, she lets the long, silken material swish back and forth, enjoying the luxuriousness. The color is unusual; Kylah is used to either brighter or lighter tones. But black is suitable for any occasion. And it will make me look older, she thinks, thinking of Rangin.

One problem is that, not surprisingly, it is currently too long for her. Kylah looks back at Tina. "This is lovely. It should be an easy matter to adjust the length, should it not?" She turns to the mirror. "I would like to try this on, please. Do you have cosmetics and earrrings I may purchase as well?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins looks around the shop. Nothing really interests her. Then she sees Kylah admiring an evening gown and overhears her comment to the sales clerk. "Or you could by a pair of 4" heels" Collins comments blandly as she walks over to get a better look at the slinky thing her roommate picked out.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is surprised to hear Collins and turns back to face her. She almost smiles at the comment. "I suppose those would serve the purpose as well, but I fear I have never been adept at walking in such high heels. To be honest... even the Starfleet boots I wear took quite a while to get used to. They seem..." She hesitates, wondering if Collins will take this as some sort of anti-Starfleet complaint. "At times they seem somewhat impractical, if I may say so. For someone of my stature it is a problem, since I must either force my feet into unnatural shapes, or be satisfied with staring up at everyone's chin for the rest of my life."

Looking back down at the gown, Kylah is sure that it will fit. Only the length is a problem. She says shyly, "I know we do not speak of personal things, Lieutenant, but... before you seek out other shoppers to speak with, may I ask for your opinion? Of course it is formal and, like all styles on my home planet, it reveals almost as much as it conceals. But it seems perfect to me. I do not especially care what this guest thinks of my appearance; he is only a stranger and our time together is part of the mission--he is just someone whose perspective on the resort will be useful. However, I think the dress is ideal for...for another reason."

Frustrated, she meets Collins's gaze again. "The truth is, I may in the future wish to wear it for someone else. Someone who I believe thinks of me as nothing more than a barely graduated cadet, a mere colleague." After a deep inhale, she explains hopefully: "I would like to be seen as a woman. The way... the way you appear to Ensign Cooper. Do you understand?"
    Last edited by choie; 20 Dec 2013 at 11:35 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins resists the urge to laugh aloud and says in as friendly a voice as she can manage, "May I ask who this someone is? And black may not be your color. Length aside, go try it on. Let's see if the dress is seductive enough to spy and to seduce."
    Last edited by anyrose; 21 Dec 2013 at 07:21 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Collins's last word makes Kylah's face burn, and she tries to think of a response without sounding prudish or affronted. "That is not what I intend... I mean, I have never... That is, he would never consider such a thing, not with me. I just wish to make him see me as a possible..." She changes direction quickly: "Of course, this must all seem so absurd, I know you and Mr. Cooper are very intimate, that is obvious enough considering--" The words are blurted before she can prevent them, and immediately Kylah darts her gaze away from Collins back to the mirror.

"As to who he is," she says hurriedly, "I am a very private person, and he even more so, I think. He is very circumspect, very careful in what he reveals to others. I trust you, naturally, sir..." A necessary fib. "But I do not feel comfortable in saying too much. I suppose I will just say..." She licks her lips nervously. "He is on this mission. But please do not think anything inappropriate would occur, or that my feelings would affect my behavior. As I said we are friends, just friends, and I suspect I mean almost nothing to him."

The thought saddens her and Kylah slowly opens the door to a nearby dressing room, closing it but continuing to speak as she undresses. "So I beg you to say nothing, even if you suspect whom I mean. I know you will not, I just need to ask." She slips the dress over her head and feels the silk ripple down her body, skimming her flesh and fitting as close to ideally as she might have hoped--except for the length. The open sides reveal just enough curving waist, the neckline is low but not vulgar, and the single slit hints at her bare leg without showing its entire length. It is practically modest by Elasian standards.

She looks at her hair. No Elasian style is possible with so little time, and so on a whim Kylah just yanks off her headband and lets her nearly-black hair fall around her shoulders. The sight of herself in the mirror astonishes her. She appears... almost exactly as she would wish to. Once the length is altered it will be perfect.

She runs her hands down her breasts, waist and hips to smooth the material, looking at her image wistfully. "Although it is a shame. The planet and resort are so beautiful. Under different circumstances, even without taking the spore therapy--I would never do so--but if he truly felt something for me..."

Now flushing and desperate to depart the subject of Rangin, Kylah pushes the door back open to present herself to Collins, saying as she does: "Do you not agree? About the resort, I mean. If there were shore leave and we were granted the ability to stay, might you and Mr. Cooper enjoy a visit here?"
    Last edited by choie; 21 Dec 2013 at 08:44 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The hairs on the back of Collins' neck bristle. "Things between Cooper and me are ... complicated, to say the least. Yeah, he'd probably love this place, but I don't know if I'm up for this level of luxury." She looks at Kylah carefully, trying not to see the stuck up little princess she first met a few weeks ago. "The dress is something else. That's for sure. Your date tonight will probably tell you his bank account number if you asked. And as for the object of your affection, I don't think you'll encounter any resistance if you greeted him wearing that." Collins is just a little envious of the ensign's petite frame. And suddenly she finds herself wanting to try on something similar. No, you're still on duty, idiot. What you have on is just fine. She shakes off her inner voice and smiles, just a little, at Kylah.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Genuinely surprised by the lieutenant's compliments, Kylah feels her skin tingle with pleasure, and she turns back to the mirror in hopes that her own initial impression remains accurate, and that everything Collins just said will be reflected back at her.

"That is extremely kind of you to say," she murmurs, brushing some hair away from her face shyly before facing Collins again. Not wanting to focus only on herself, she tries to offer Collins similar support. "I would imagine things are complex in your relationship with Mr. Cooper, especially now, but... Well, I do not know him at all, and neither you nor I have shared much until today. Yet I have seen you together. Perhaps when you are feeling better..."

Kylah can't prevent a quick glance at Collins's abdomen. The older woman shows nothing of her pregnancy. It must be very early, despite the morning sickness she experienced during their Sakathian mission. But there was that strange vision Kylah had experienced the night before they left for this planet, when she got too close to Collins's sleeping form. What else could that have been but the flood of hormones?

Kylah realizes how little she knows, not just of romance but of Collins, of human biology. And nothing of Collins's emotions. She could reach out to sense what the lieutenant is feeling, but that would feel intolerably intrusive. Only when absolutely necessary, Kylah has promised herself.

"No, I cannot pretend to know how you must feel," Kylah says, the irony of her words--coming from a secret empath--not escaping her. "I should not pry, and I apologize. I just hope you will be content with however things end up."

She flashes her own brief smile, not used to offering one to Collins, and then excuses herself to talk to the clerk to buy the dress--extremely expensive, but not even a blip on her own credit allowance--and ask for the alterations. Her own strapped sandals are actually perfect for the dress, the flash of bronze adding a dash of glitter amid all the black material, and she decides to add a single matching bracelet as her sole item of jewelry. The dress is an ornament itself and needs nothing elaborate.

Kylah finds herself humming. She now understands why shopping for oneself is often considered such a delightful experience. It is like playing with her dolls when she was a child. Nothing at all like being measured, fitted, and hand-sewn into one of the elaborate outfits by her royal tailors.

"If you wish anything, Lieutenant, I would be happy to purchase it for you," she says carelessly over her shoulder, not even considering how it might sound--just so excited by the new experience and wanting to share it. It seems only right to offer Collins a gift from such an expensive shop; royal patronage is typical on Elas. "With your hair, those diamond and emerald earrings would suit you very well."
    Last edited by choie; 21 Dec 2013 at 09:16 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins stares briefly at Kylah, stunned by her offer, then picks up the earrings to examine and admire them. "Yeah, I've always been fond of emeralds. Never been able to afford them for myself. Always made due with crystal fakes." She fondles the earrings and considers the offer. We're roommates and colleagues; and likely going to be working together a lot. I suppose she's okay. and I've never had a sister. She laughs inwardly Hey Mom, hey Dad. Guess what I got on my latest mission? A brother AND a sister!
    After a brief pause, "Thank you, Ensign. That's very generous." Collins walks over to a mirror and puts the earrings on. Her face brightens measurably when she sees how they look next to her skin. "Maybe when the mission is over, you and I could have some girly time."
    Last edited by anyrose; 21 Dec 2013 at 10:02 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah watches Tina shorten the gown and then focuses on Collins as she auditions the earrings. "They look very becoming on you, Lieutenant. It is my pleasure. And... and perhaps you may call me Kylah? I know we are technically on duty, but we are also roommates, after all..."

She glances down and sees that Tina is done. "Thank you very much for your quick work. It is perfect. Please add the bangle and earrings to my purchase? Have the earrings wrapped in that velvet box, if you would." Then, bending down, she adds in a whisper to the clerk, "And the matching emerald bracelet as well. It is a surprise--please do not let her see it until she opens the box later."

In a regular voice, she finishes: "May I please have a garment bag? I have no time to change before dinner and will wear this out of the store, but I need a place for my own clothes." And for her final purchase, she picks out a small, shining bronze purse. Her communicator will fit, but the phaser is barely able to be stuffed inside. Not as easy to access as Graham recommended, but Kylah is not concerned; not only will there be no need for such things, but her knife on her upper thigh is more than easily accessible thanks to the slit that just skims the bottom of its leather holder.

Kylah steps down from the little stool where she's been waiting for the dress to be altered and slips the bronze-gold bangle over her arm, then walks up to Collins. "Of course crystals are pretty enough--you know Dilithium Crystlas were used as baubles on my world--but true gems are something entirely different. Even the mere weight of them makes them much more substantive. Perhaps you may wear them if you go to the French restaurant tonight? It seems the most formal of the restaurants here."

She tells Collins that she'll be back soon, then returns to the dressing room to retrieve her casual wear and tricorder and place them in the bag. She takes a final look at herself, fluffs up her hair, adds a dash of lipstick and shadow to her face, and smiles at her reflection.

Finally she returns to the main area of the store and holds the bag up to Collins hesitantly. "This contains the dress I was wearing earlier, along with my tricorder. I don't suppose... would you be able to hold on to this for me, please? Or--no, you are not my maidservant, I should not ask this of you. Perhaps it would be proper to have it beamed to the research station quarters directly?"

She feels wonderful and happier than she's been in a long time. "We are meeting the others before dinner, are we not? So I may see--so I may say goodnight? I would like that," she finishes quietly.
    Last edited by choie; 21 Dec 2013 at 10:38 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins raises an eyebrow. Maidservant? I. Don't. Think. So. she thinks. "Have it beamed to the research station. That's what I'm going to do with the earrings. I promised the captain we'd take easy on the budget for dinner, so the French place is not an option." Collins tells Kylah as they exit the store. "Yes, we'll all meet in the lobby, then you can have your rondézvous, and the rest of us can have pizza or burgers." She smiles, then opens her communicator to request the beaming of their packages.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

When Hsu asks where they'd like to go next "a bar" immediately comes to Graham's mind. "Well, we had been intending to eyeball the spa, if you don't mind." He drops back to Delaney's elbow. "How's it going, Delany? Say--" he asks quietly. "Do you happen to know a Lieutenant named Ferguson?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Yes, thank you for your time, Dr. Halsey," T'Var says.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is a bit distracted with thoughts of seeing Rangin--or, to be honest, with thoughts of Rangin seeing her--but belatedly hears what Collins just said about the restaurant. "Oh, I did not mention--Mr. Švehla suggested eating at the Italian restaurant. I do not know if it is best for the crew to eat there as well. If he sees Mr. Delaney--whom he saw me with earlier--he might suspect some sort of collusion rather than a private engagement. Not that this is really any sort of spy mission, of course, but the intent was for me to encourage him to show me around, not as a Starfleet officier, but as any other guest. Does that make sense?"

She shakes her head. It is somewhat confusing. Twisting the bangle on her wrist, she looks down at the shining metal and adds, "I must thank you..." Kylah hesitates. She never did respond to whether she would call me Kylah; I certainly cannot call her by her first name without permission. "...Lieutenant Collins," she finishes. "I have not had such an excursion before. It is strange, I suppose, but buying such things is new to me. Clothes, I mean. And considering what we talked about regarding my hopes for the dress... I really did appreciate your patience and support."

Embarrassed, Kylah glances around the nearby shops. "I know we were supposed to find guests to speak with as well, but I admit I was preoccupied. If there is time before we meet the others, and you think it best, perhaps we should see if anyone else is about?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"We could check out the lounge area, see if anyone is there who is willing to talk," Collins looks at Kylah in the dress, "Who'm I kidding? Any men around will fight to talk to you. Let's go fishing."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah nods, a little uncomfortable by the idea of being thought of as bait. As they walk, she looks down at her dress. Perhaps it is too much. Or more accurately, not enough. She has not enjoyed the attention she's received from men in the past--such as the vulgar cadets back at the Academy, or her Guardian. But such attention was always due to unique reasons: the reputation of Elasian women on the one hand, and her place in the royal family on the other.

Perhaps she has actually been fortunate enough to look younger than her years. True, she told Collins that she now wishes to be thought of as a woman, but... But only by one man. Surely the other woman is not seriously suggesting Kylah is some sort of magnet just because she is wearing a formal dress. No, it is absurd, do not be so full of hubris. I am just a regular female guest. It is silly to take her kind flattery so seriously.

Then again, Kylah notes with a quick sidelong look at the mission leader, is it really kindness? Collins has ignored almost every polite overture Kylah has made, aside from accepting the earrings. Ignoring the request to call her by her given name, not acknowledging Kylah's gratitutde... Perhaps Collins does not truly feel any less animus toward her. She might even be mocking the outfit, secretly thinking it's a poor choice. Would she allow me to look foolish? Kylah worries, now instinctively making certain the dress's slit is held closed. I am still under her command... Her responsibility.

Well, there is certainly nothing she can do now if the dress is some embarrassing wardrobe gaffe. She takes a calming breath and speaks evenly despite her concerns, returning the flattery. "I appreciate the thought, Lieutenant. But as the more experienced officer you will surely be just as adept at communicating with others. You would not be so favored by the Captain as a mission leader if this were not so."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins stops walking and turns to face Kylah. "Look. I know that you and the others think I messed up on the Sakathian mission, Ensign Kylah." There is no malice in her voice. She is just stating facts. "To be honest, I also know there are things I could have done differently, but those different actions may have resulted in more deaths. Or maybe they wouldn't have. We'll never know. But the Captain had a reason for giving me a second command. Maybe it's to redeem myself, or maybe it's because she thought I did well." Collins sighs "Or maybe this is just an easy fact finding mission and I've been reduced to the head of the file clerks."
    Something tells Collins that a genuine compliment would go a long way with this girl. "You do look very nice in the dress. I'm sure there are plenty of men, and women, would find you attractive no matter what you wear. But when it comes to investigation, some of us are honey," she opens her hands towards Kylah, "and some of us are just cops." she puts her hands on her sternum. "Both strategies work, but when we're not in uniform, honey is more appealing, Kylah."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Freezing in place, Kylah stares at Collins. She's at turns embarrassed, guilty for having upset the other woman, and frustrated by the continued lack of accepting full responsibility for what Kylah still sees as egregious errors throughout both the Sakathian mission and this one. The first mission was shameful enough, but continuing to make elementary mistakes in this so-called second chance, this apparently easy mission where Collins thinks she's just guiding file clerks? That is what is so appalling.

But what truly staggers her is how Collins then describes Kylah herself. Honey. That is all she thinks I am? Something lacking substance, only existing to placate, to sweetly amuse while this--this genius investigator does the real work?

Kylah has to put her hands behind her back so she can clench them into fists. She has consistently smoothed over Collins's distracted forgetfulness--or lack of caring, perhaps, if she merely considers this a file clerk job rather than some glamorous strategic coup. All this from the youngest and least experienced member of the team. Yet despite Kylah's accomplishments, the leader of the mission is relegating her to the role of... Kylah doesn't even want to consider what she's being labeled.

And now, now, Collins chooses to call her by her name? After having dismissed Kylah's place on this mission so completely, the address comes across as condescension, a power play, not affability.

With her words, Collins has slammed Kylah back to the role forced on her by her uncle. A toy to be dangled before others, an asset only of worth when her superior deems her so. She can abide it no longer.

Kylah takes an unsteady breath. "This is unworthy, Lieutenant Collins," she says, trembling. "Regardless of what I thought--no, what I know were some horrific mistakes in judgment during that disastrous mission, mistakes that should have sent you to a disciplinary hearing for mistreatment of prisoners and sloppy leadership during the escape--I reported not a word of it to the Captain. I have regretted that omission ever since, but I too thought, or hoped, that you had learned something from that experience, from having one of your crew lie near death. A crewperson to whom you have likely given little thought since returning from that station."

She shakes her head. "But I am not your superior and I remained silent, thinking this time would be better. I was wrong, although I thank the stars around us that there are no lives at stake as a result. Despite my low position, I have done all I can to make up for this crew's deficiencies under your leadership, even though I know very well it is hardly my place to do so. But someone had to, and I would not let the Yorktown down.

"I have cleaned up after multiple gaffes and omissions, awkward situations both of your own making starting with your very first words after beaming down and that of your swaggering junior security officer. I have asked dozens of pertinent questions to investigate this resort and even the research lab that neither the allegedly expert "cops" nor even the genuinely respected medical doctor even considered.

"I have done more investigation, have gone further in making contact with the other guests, than anyone else on this team! Yet you appear to think I am good for only one thing."

Kylah's voice breaks and she struggles not to cry. "I cannot fathom why you have such a low opinion of me. Unless it is because I am an Elasian female? Are you so like your fellow humans, then? You believe us all to be wanton seductresses? For I can see no reason you should think I am naturally more--more accommodating than you are." Her eyes narrow. "Indeed, if our behaviors are to be compared, I should think you are clearly more likely to excel in that area, as your soon-to-be-swollen belly will attest!"

She starts to turn around, but then whips her head back to face Collins, dropping her words to a near-whisper. "Since you seem to think I deserve to be insulted in such a manner, Lieutenant, I am astonished that you missed a perfect opportunity to degrade me further. Why did you not purchase some green makeup back at the store? You could have slathered it on my body, asked the clerk to slash up my garment, and then ordered me to play the role of an Orion Slave Girl! Then your destruction of my morale and self-worth would truly have been complete."

And now she is weeping and Kylah will be damned if she shows this to Collins. There is no doubt she'll be reported for this insubordination but she is beyond caring. She stalks down the corridor away from the Lieutenant and toward the lounge. To play the obedient, fatuous role of a hunter's lure.
    Last edited by choie; 22 Dec 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Wow!" is all Collins can say at first. "When the hell did I say any of that? Jeez, you are a piece of work! All I did was tell you what I know to be true. Attractiveness is an asset. You have it. I don't. As to withholding your comments from the Captain? Who asked you to do that?" Collins starts to walk away, then turns back "I don't know what your problems are, nor do I care to. But don't you dare take them out on me. Our ranks aside, you have no idea what's going on in my head. You've been walking on eggs around everyone. Waiting for someone to insult you. Expecting someone to degrade you. You know what? Go run to your mommy substitute. That is why you cling to T'Var, isn't it? Were you taken from your own mother too soon? Were you not ready to be weaned? Stop blaming others for your insecurities." Collins' voice is angry but in truth she's more amused than anything else. She makes a shooing motion with her hands. "Go on your date. I'll do my own investigating." With that, Collins walks away with the intent of looking for Graham and Delaney.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"So Doctor T'Var, where shall we go and find some of the guests to have a look over", says Rangin as he holds open the door for her, "perhaps the sports area, or maybe we should wander the grounds on such a fine day and see what we can find."

Registered
    Feb 2009

When she's certain that she's beyond Kylah's line of site, Collins looks for a quiet, out of the way corner. The boys are fine. I've still got some time before we all meet up. I just need to be alone for a bit. She spies a small table with two chairs by a window, reasonably away from any of the guests. She turns one of the chairs to face out the window and sits. As she stares at the twilight scenery, she becomes aware of tears running down her face. She'd love nothing more than to break into sobs, but she fights the urge, even though she's not certain she'll be successful.
    Last edited by anyrose; 22 Dec 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

All Kylah can do is just stand still, not turning around, letting her back bear the brunt of whatever wild malicious insults Collins has been flinging at her. She feels helpless. She cannot cry, she cannot turn and fight, she cannot even take a step.

She never expected Collins to admit her mistakes. The woman is clearly incapable of that. Nor is she capable of apologizing sincerely for offending someone even accidentally--if it was accidental, or acknowledging the accomplishments of others, or being grateful for Kylah's forebearance in reporting her to the Captain, or really anything but showing just how very hard, how very inflexible and even pathologically self-absorbed she is.

And how cruel.

Kylah didn't think anyone would hurt her again like this; not so soon after Ferguson lashed out at her only yesterday. But the instant Collins called T'Var her 'mommy substitute,' Kylah's shoulders must have slumped, they must have somehow revealed just how painful that cut had been. Because then it was followed up with an even nastier swipe of the knife, as if Collins scented blood in the air. Were you taken from your own mother too soon?

At that, Kylah had closed her eyes and fought with every ounce of strength she possessed not to crumple, not to allow someone else to destroy her a second and third time in the space of less than 48 hours. She had spoken nothing but the truth to Collins, harsh as it might have been, and this was how the Lieutenant--the mission leader--responded to her most junior ensign. Not with any even partial acknowledgment of what Kylah had said, not even with a professional warning or upbraiding. But with vicious, personal, haphazard arrows that by sheer luck had hit their targets.

The truth is she does want advice from T'Var--except the Vulcan will likely blame her instability. She wants to reveal everything to Rangin and feel his arms around her--except he might just pity her, and she cannot abide that. She wants to beam back to the ship and give up her commission and escape somewhere far from the Fergusons and Collinses and Aldaans of the universe. But of course there is no such escape.

Only when Collins finishes her blast and leaves does Kylah put a hand to her mouth. Elasian women are taught once puberty strikes how to control their tears, and Kylah--yes, even motherless Kylah--was given lessons as well.

After a long silent moment with closed eyes and covered mouth, Kylah lets her hand drop to her side. And slowly, wearily, she wanders down the corridor, wondering what terrible thing she's done, what terrible thing she is, that makes her prove so easy a target for monsters.
    Last edited by choie; 22 Dec 2013 at 04:40 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. T'Var and Ens. Rangin are now walking down the hallway, away from the hospital. Lt. JG Delaney and Ens. Graham are in the main lobby with Mrs. Hsu. Ens. Kylah is in a corridor not far from Mazime's door, getting but not noticing admiring glances from several men as they pass by, and Lt. JG Collins is seated just off the main lobby.

Delaney says to Graham, "I know Ferguson a little bit; he's in Engineering, too. Why do you ask?"

A short but well-built Asian man in a severely-cut suit with a WR&R pin approaches Mrs. Hsu. She beams, gives him a peck on the cheek and says, "Hi, honey. These are two of the Yorktown contingent. Mr. Delaney, Mr. Graham, I'd like to introduce my husband, Lionel Hsu. He's the resort's chief of security."

He nods hello to the two Starfleet men and hands his wife a data pad. "You'll want to see this."

She looks at it, does a double-take and frowns. "When did this happen?"

"Less than 20 minutes ago," he says.

Kylah remembers Tina having mentioned that there are storage lockers available in an alcove near the check-in desk, if she'd like to leave her bags there.

A WR&R staffer, an older Andorian woman, notices Collins's expression and comes over. She asks quietly, "Are you all right, ma'am? Is there anything I can do to help?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Dec 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is only tangentially aware that someone is nearby and has spoken. Reflexively she relies, "No, I'm fine, thank you." What the hell is wrong with me? I've never had a bad trip before. And as much as I don't like the kid, she didn't deserve as much venom as I spewed. But she provoked me. Somehow she knew exactly which buttons to push. Collins sadness has given way to anger. How dare she? Who does that spoiled brat think she is? I should speak to the captain before she does.
    Last edited by anyrose; 22 Dec 2013 at 04:51 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

As she walks, Kylah looks down and belatedly realizes she never gave her bag to beam up. She doesn't think Collins did either, but right now she doesn't wish to think about the Lieutenant. She decides to store her clothing in the lockers.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham tilts his head slightly to one side and spreads his hands a little in response to Delaney's question. "Nothing big...I just got a weird vibe from him one time...been on the ship awhile? Anything unusual about him?" Graham pauses for a moment. "Ah...does he have a girlfriend?"*

Graham nods to Mr. Hsu. Observing the interchange between the Hsu's, he looks at Lionel. "Based on our time here so far, your wife probably thinks I'm a total jerk. " He turns his gaze toward Mattie and shrugs. "And she's probably right. But being in Starfleet security, with an admiral among your guests right now..." he makes sure to catch Mattie Hsu's eye. "Anything untoward happening would be more than a little professionally embarrassing, at the least. May I ask what just happened?" he says, not really asking.

*I am assuming this could fit in before the Hsu x Hsu interaction part of the scene...would ask him later if not.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Perhaps a stroll outside would be a good idea," T'Var answers Rangin. "We can explore a bit more and see if there are any guests enjoying the find day as well."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Andorian woman says to Collins, "Very well, ma'am. Please let me know if you change your mind." She moves away.

Kylah finds an available locker, stows her bag and secures it with a thumbprint.

Mrs. Hsu chuckles and says lightheartedly, "Well, really, I don't think you're a total jerk, Mr. Graham." She and her husband exchange glances, and she nods ever so slightly. He then looks directly at Graham and says in a level voice, "Someone just tried to remotely access the resort's security systems. Whoever it was used an encrypted subspace transceiver, and since there was no broadcast-to-receipt delay it could've been done from anywhere within a few light years."

T'Var and Rangin find the shadows just starting to lengthen outside. There are several guests out on the grounds.

Better for any single character to carry on just one conversation at a time, general.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Dec 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Hmm, plenty of guests relaxing. Lets see how the feel about the place. I guess most will be heading soon for dinner, but we should have some time to get a rough idea of how they are acting."

Rangin heads off down the path to the grounds to talk to them. He's looking to see how calm and rational they are, given the effects of the spores.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin can see the same Nordic-looking couple from before in the village, a black couple, a trio of elderly white women, and a young Latina, all apparently enjoying the resort's well-manicured gardens and grounds.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Ok, let's see what we can find out. If we start with the elderly ladies we could be here for hours if they get to talking, so much life experience", Rangin mutters as an aside to T'Var with a smile," so lets try that couple we saw earlier, then the other couple, then I'll tackle the elderly ladies and you can speak to that young lady by herself. I believe you are well practiced at that"

He looks how they are positioned, "Twenty minutes each, lets see what we can find. Shall we?" he asks of the silent presence next to him.

Registered
    May 2013

“Has this happened before?” Graham starts to ask sharply. Then he pauses and takes and exhales a deep breath.

“Look, before I ask you twenty questions,” he says, looking in turn at Mrs. Hsu and her husband, “there was a time when I thought corporate security wasn’t serious work. I’ve learned I was wrong about that. And I get it--if security was set up the way my instincts are telling me, with all these VIPs here, this place would close in a week because it’d feel like a prison or a fortress, not a resort. But if there are some bad actors poking around who are more than just figments of my paranoid imagination—let’s cooperate to harden the target.”

He scratches his head and glances at Delaney. “It may be possible for the Yorktown’s systems to help with monitoring your systems and tracking intrusion attempts…if it is I can ask my lieutenant if we can set that up…with your permission.”

He turns toward Lionel Hsu. “And if we can find some time off the clock maybe you can walk me through how guests are vetted and screened—over a drink.” He shrugs. “If you don’t drink, don’t worry about it, I’ll have one for both of us.”

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah enters the lounge and looks around for any guests, or really anyone, who might be able to tell her anything useful. She needs quite desperately to feel useful.

She also realizes she doesn't know if she's still supposed to meet with the others at the lobby before dinner. Collins certainly implied that she had no wish to see her again, and the feeling is more than mutual. But unlike the so-called leader, Kylah is aware that the team has a responsibiliity to reconvene at least once before they go off-duty. While Collins obviously thinks Kylah's contributions of no value, Kylah hopes the others do not agree.

Kylah runs a hand over her weary eyes. Right now her self-esteem is so low she is quite capable of believing she has no worth whatsoever in the eyes of her colleagues.

Taking a deep breath, she again searches the room. Once she finds someone who appears amenable to conversation, she will approach him or her. And also ask the time, so she knows how long she has before she must leave.
    Last edited by choie; 23 Dec 2013 at 01:40 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. T'Var says, "Certainly, Mr. Rangin. Let us proceed." They walk towards the Nordic-looking couple, who introduce themselves as Mr. and Mrs. Runar Gunnarsson, from Iceland, and who seem delighted to meet the Vulcan and Coridanite. This is the Gunnarssons' third trip to OC3 and they're having a wonderful time, as they always do. "Are you enjoying your vacation, too?" the lady asks.

Security Chief Hsu tells Graham, "No, this is a first. We have an excellent security system and nobody's ever tried to hack it before."

"That you know of, you mean," Delaney replies.

Hsu tenses, then shrugs. "Yes, I suppose so. Any help you can give us, or anything you'd like to discuss about our security procedures, would be welcome."

Kylah notices a stout, flat-faced, middle-aged man in the lounge, sipping a tall glass of something dark and foamy. He meets her eye and smiles. When she approaches, he rises and introduces himself as Gustave Deschamps, a civil servant from New Paris. He asks, "Would you like a seat? May I order you a drink?"

There is a wall chrono, and she sees it is now 1700, so she has 45 minutes before her date.

Starfleet communicators and tricorders also have a clock function, or one could always call the ship.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Dec 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin responds in the affirmative, noting how pleasant it is here, that it is their first time to the planet and are enjoying it. He asks a few questions of them asking what they would recommend in the resort and noting how they interact with each other. Given what he read from the Sandoval colony, and as humans, he's expecting them to be mellow, and gazing happily at all around. No real impact on their thoughts other than a need to make other people happy.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Gunnarssons say they like walking the grounds, going on hiking trips farther afield ("Room service will pack you a box lunch, and they're delicious!" the gentleman says), and playing badminton. They do seem very mellow and happy.

Rangin wonders, since the Captain ordered that they reveal they are with Starfleet when asked, if it's a lie to agree that they're on vacation.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var smiles at the couple they are speaking with. "It certainly seems as if the resort handles the needs of their guests quite well," the doctor says. "I enjoy hiking myself."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Yes, we love it here!" Mrs. Gunnarsson says, as her husband nods. "Perhaps we might take a hike together sometime. Do you have any plans for tomorrow? Are you staying in the hotel, or one of the houses?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah sits at a lounge chair only a few feet from the older gentleman. "Bon soir, M. Deschamps, et merci; je m'apelle Kylah," she says easily. French was one of the first Earth languages she learned. She turns down his offer of a drink, thanking him again. "This is a beautiful room," she begins, looking around with interest. "I have never been here before--this is my first visit to the resort, you see. I just thought I would spend my time here until my dinner engagement. And you, monsieur? Have you been to WR&R before?"
    Last edited by choie; 23 Dec 2013 at 03:38 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Enchante, Kylah," he says. "I've been to several other WR&R resorts, but this is only my second time here. It's a nice, relaxing place."

Registered
    Mar 2012

"It is interesting, I have noticed that most of the guests are from Earth, such as yourself," Kylah says. It is a point she noticed earlier, but it does seem especially striking the more people she sees. "WR&R must spend most of its promotion there. We are not nearly as familiar with their offerings on my own home planet. But it is clear that WR&R resorts must have many charms to earn such loyalty as yours."

She sits back in the leather chair, feeling somewhat more comfortable in the quiet, and in this man's amiable company. "May I ask what led you to this place? The novelty of the spore treatment? Forgive me if it is too personal a question," she says, and adds with careful honesty, "I will happily admit that the spores are the sole reason I am here."
    Last edited by choie; 23 Dec 2013 at 04:03 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"No, as I said, I'm from New Paris," the man tells Kylah. "I'm not from the Paris on Earth. The spore treatment was what brought me here in the first place, yes. I saw it mentioned in a WR&R promo and thought it'd be worth a try. And was it ever! How do you like the spores? Don't you feel great?"

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/New_Paris

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Oh, please excuse me," Kylah says, shaking her head. "I did not hear you correctly. That is entirely different. It is fortunate that you were spared the terrible plagues that ran through the colonies." Her mind works quickly to answer his questions without deceit. "As for myself... I have not gone through the induction. I am here to learn about the spore treatment, and the experience as a whole. None of my people have ever tried the spores before--I am Elasian, you see, and it is not known how we will react. So for now I must merely observe." Kylah glances down at her hands, folded in her lap. "I envy you. Right now I fear nothing may help what ails me."

She swallows and tries to shake off the mood. How can she go to dinner in such a frame of mind? That damnable Collins... "But it has been very gratifying to find such unanimity in how others react to the spores. Has anything surprised you about them? Do you... do you miss the treatment, once you have left and it wears off?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Well, you should try it, my dear," he says encouragingly. "You never know. Have you spoken to the medical staff? Perhaps other Elasians have tried it, or similar species have, and they could reassure you of its safety? It really is not to be missed. I can't say I had any surprises other than how good it feels, how relaxing. I was a little sad when I had to withdraw from it the last time I was here, but I knew the end of my vacation had arrived, and, well... that was that. As for the plague... I was offworld at the time, but when I returned things were not good." He gives a Gallic shrug. "I did what I could to help."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Dec 2013 at 05:57 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

"Graham to Collins," he says, tapping his communicator. "Are you in a location we can talk without guests overhearing, ma'am?" He nods toward Mrs. Hsu: "Yeah, not a total jerk" he says softly, cracking a slight smile.

Closed thread