Closed thread
Page 19 of 82 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 69 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham is pleased that the team is loosening up and exchanging a little banter. Granted it's not like being on the job with Faisal and some of their close compatriots back on the Invictus, but then Kylah doesn't seem like the type who'd ever appreciate having her clothes and towels disappear while she's in the gym shower. Collins, he ruminates, might stop short of transferring someone to security duty at a waste processing facility on the frontier if her were, say, replaced by traditional Tellarite dress clothes...eh, might, he concludes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Where would you like to go next?" Wilson asks Collins, after he's closed the drawer with the knife and ushered the Yorktown's landing party out of the vault.

Delaney says, "Well, I'd like to have a look at the Sandoval colony's buildings."

It is now mid-afternoon.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Dr Halsey, I can think of one part you haven't shown us, although I'm sure it would be useful.", says Rangin, "I haven't seen any transport and everyone seems happy to walk around, but if there is an accident away from the resort, how do you get there to tend to an emergency? Or are the spores so efficacious that its not necessary?"
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins considers the ghost town they passed on the way in. No harm, I guess, as long as we don't get trapped there or anything, she thinks knowing full well that was a self-fulfilling prophecy. "That's an idea, Delaney," she says, "as long as we stick together."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey says, "The resort has several aircars and a transporter. The garage is at the back of the resort, and the transporter is just down the hall from here. We haven't had to use them for a medical emergency since I got here, though."

Wilson says, "Mrs. Hsu, would you mind taking them to see the village? I have some things I ought to do here. I suspect my desk is piled high by now."

"Of course, sir," she says. "This way, please."

"Until later, then," Wilson says, nodding to Collins.

Mrs. Hsu leads the Yorktown landing party back out into the lobby and through the main doors. The Sandoval colony, as you saw in walking from the Starfleet research station earlier today, is not far away, over a small hill and out of sight from the resort. The twenty or so wooden frame buildings are furnished and seem to be in good repair. "It was a condition of our franchise that we maintain it as a historic site," Hsu says. "Some of our guests also like to try out the rustic life."

The village is empty but for an older Nordic-looking couple in pricey leisure wear, who are apparently playing tourist. They nod in a friendly way when they see you.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 12 Dec 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham adopts a pleasant expression--no sense disturbing the guests unnecessarily if they are having a good time, he thinks. He gestures with one hand at the buildings and across the grounds. "So is everybody out here--except resort staff--all spored up?" he asks Hsu quietly. "Is access controlled or can new guests or Starfleet research personnel mix with the ones who've already gone through the intake process?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Whatever you would consider of importance regarding our reason for exploring this facility," T'Var says.

The doctor turns toward Rangin. "Or perhaps there is something specific you would like to explore?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hsu says to Graham, "Yes, everybody out here other than our staff would be 'spored up,' as you say, or is soon going to be. Access is not controlled, but our staff does regular inspections and scans. An intruder or uninvited guest would be quickly found, but it's never happened that I know of."

Dr. Halsey looks bemused. "Well, WR&R wants to renew its franchise, obviously, and I understand you're here to see if it should be allowed to. This is a fine hospital for its size, I believe, and more than adequate to care for guests and staff. If anything, it's probably more than we need. We can walk through it again, if you like, or if you have any other questions in particular that you'd like to ask...?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah particularly enjoys the rustic houses. They are quite unlike anything she's experienced, except for one or two visits to historic areas of San Francisco during her time at the Academy.

Hsu's comments about scans piques her interest. "Do you mean geographical scans of the area, or do you mean scans of the people themselves, looking for spore influence? Is every guest required to take the spore treatment?" She shakes her head slightly. "That is to say.. of course, I understand that the treatment is likely the prime reason people visit this resort and spa, certainly if they are willing to travel here and pay such prices. But I would imagine that some guests, such as part of a couple, might simply be there as companions and do not wish to be 'on' the spores. Is that allowed?"
    Last edited by choie; 12 Dec 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mrs. Hsu says, "The scans are geographical, that is, of the grounds. We just want to make sure the resort is secure and that there are no uninvited visitors. Every guest isn't required to have spore introduction, but the great majority do. You're right, there are some companions and others who don't use the spores."

Registered
    May 2013

When Kylah asks about "couples" Graham briefly thinks of Bennett. He unconsciously gives his head a little shake: get a grip, Booker, he thinks. You have about as much chance of taking a stroll around the grounds at a place like this with Bennett as you have of being appointed Klingon High Chancellor.

But this is a good question--Kylah might make a good security officer. Although he thinks of the incident with Fastolfe's knife: but to do that she'd have to stop placing too much faith in people and being nicer to them than they deserve, he thinks. That idea--nicer than I deserve--calls his daughter to mind for a moment. Yeah, well, but "old hands should set a better example," he thinks, re-focusing his attention.

At a moment when he can catch Kylah's eye he mouths "good question" and gives her a little thumbs-up and nod acknowledging the good work.
    Last edited by general_urko; 13 Dec 2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Hsu for the response, after which she catches Graham's look and the mouthed compliment. Then the thumb gesture that humans use to indicate approval. It is fortunate that she has had a great deal of experience with humans over the past few years, since on Elas this gesture is actually used for a particularly lewd request. She still flushes, because her first instinct is to take it for the meaning she knows best.

At the Academy she made the mistake of icily informing one of her fellow cadets why she was offended when he'd made the gesture to her, and since she was about as popular there as she is on the Yorktown, she subsequently found a group of male classmates taking advantage of this additional way to harrass her. Even in the middle of classes, when she answered a question correctly, six or seven young men would pretend to echo the instructor's "well stated, Cadet" with meaningful thumbs-up. She knew what they meant, even if the instructor merely thought they were encouraging her. Licentious boors, she would think while doing her best to ignore their revolting smiles.

Now she is better at taking such things in stride. (Of course, as she is the first to admit, better does not mean good.) In any event, she knows Graham means only to indicate his approval. And so despite her flush she nods at him with a quick look of appreciation for the compliment.
    Last edited by choie; 13 Dec 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"It's good to hear that you haven't had a emergency to deal with, I guess that leaves more time for reading up on current medical practices. Actually, when was the last time you did a practice run and what did you simulate?" asks Rangin

Rangin is beginning to relax again. His earlier thoughts that things were wrong are beginning to recede and that it may have been nervousness on the part of WR&R that caused his initial concern.

He wonders what the others are up to and what they are looking at now. Its probably more interesting than the hospital.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey looks up at the ceiling. "Our last emergency drill was, hmm, I dunno, maybe three or four months ago? We simulated a dozen staff being sprayed by spores within just a few minutes of each other, and wanting to bring even more spores into the resort. It took about 20 minutes to get things under control. Interesting situation, but relatively unlikely to occur, and easy enough to contain."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Have you found anything the spores cannot cure, or are they really that much of a panacea?", asks Rangin, wondering if he can shift the conversation around towards hope for Fujishiro. "Does it matter what condition the person is in when they take them, or do the spores affect everyone equally?"

He thinks back to Fastolfe, "Also, do you know if any of the guests you have had have been using it as a drug rehabilitation therapy? A chance to kick the habit so to speak?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The spores cannot cure or seem to have no effect on certain chronic or longterm diseases," Dr. Halsey says. "Some species aren't affected at all by them, as you know, or can find them uncomfortable or painful. The condition of the person being introduced to the spores does sometimes make a difference." He thinks a moment. "I don't know of anyone using them for drug rehabilitation or to break a dependency. That would probably be worth studying."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"What other research as to the medical uses of the spores would you like to conduct if possible?" T'Var asks. "I would think the spores could have other positive benefits -- not only for pleasure and relaxation."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah examines the rustic buildings and the spacious greenery surrounding them. In looking at the colony's past, she finds herself wondering about the resort's future. Just how ambitious is WR&R?

"May I ask, how popular the resort is, Ms. Hsu? Bearing in mind that Lord Fastolfe's favorite house was already booked, and Mr. Wilson was unable to accommodate him despite your resort's clearly valuing Fastolfe highly as a customer--as I assume you must, considering how his egregious behavior was willingly overlooked in order to keep him happy--I imagine that you would only inconvenience such a guest if you were extraordinarily busy. I remember Mr. Wilson said you were only at three-quarters capacity, but even so... How far in advance must your guests book a stay? Do you ever turn people away?" She lifts a hand at the grounds before her. "You see, I was just thinking... it is a large planet and as far as I am aware, this is currently the only inhabited area. If WR&R is granted a new contract, do you have any thoughts of expansion?"

Since Kylah did all that research the night before the mission, she presumably knows how big the planet is (a look at the planet shows several land masses) and how much of it could be inhabited by spores, and that's why she didn't ask that. However, if Hsu could subtly include this info in her answer so that those of us who didn't have the benefit of that research could be similarly edified, that would be helpful.
    Last edited by choie; 15 Dec 2013 at 07:51 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Well, I'm not a researcher myself, as such," Dr. Halsey says, "but the sky's the limit for these spores, I think. They really do have an impressive range of physiological effects."

Mrs. Hsu smiles and says, "The resort really has been quite popular. Lord Fastolfe wanted a particular guest house that was already booked, and as you saw, there's only so much we can do to keep our guests happy, although we certainly do our best. We are rarely below three-quarters capacity, and very often we're fully booked. We recommend guests book a stay at least three months in advance, and the planet is isolated enough that we have very few 'drop-ins.' We haven't yet had to turn anyone away that I know of. There has been some very preliminary discussion of expansion but nothing definite yet. I haven't seen anything in writing."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I don't think I have any questions left", says Rangin, before turning to Doctor T'Var. "Anything else Doctor?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Would it be possible to speak with someone on the research end of things?" T'Var asks. "I am intrigued by the medical implications for the spores."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah absently runs her hand along one of the plain wooden clapboards of the old buildings. "Speaking of Lord Fastolfe's favorite house... what exactly is so special about it? Does he just prefer what is familiar--or is it simply a matter of a man of privilege who must have things his way? How often is he a guest here?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"And speaking of those houses, are there any vacant ones we could have a look at?" Collins finally chimes in.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey says to Dr. T'Var with a wry smile, "You'd want to talk to the folks at the Starfleet research station again. That's where they do... you know, research."

"The house Lord Fastolfe had in mind," Mrs. Hsu says, "is one of the larger and more lavish guest houses here. It was reserved by someone else before he even arrived. The person who reserved it declined to make way for Lord Fastolfe, even when offered a, um, generous financial inducement by WR&R. We won't force out a guest who doesn't want to move. This is the first visit to Omicron Ceti III for both individuals, I believe."

She checks her data pad. "Most the houses are vacant at the moment. Let's see... yes, over here. This way." She leads the landing party to the nearest rough-hewn wooden frame house and opens the door.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Perhaps it might be helpful to have a small research area here," T'Var replies.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Maybe," Dr. Halsey says, "but that's not my training, and so far WR&R doesn't seem interested in funding it."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah enters the house, taking a moment to suck her sore left ring finger, which seems to have a splinter--rather silly of her to be so careless. The pain is minimal and she looks around with great interest at the old building. As she does, she remembers some questions she forgot to ask the medical staff. Perhaps Hsu will know, although some of her answers have disagreed with Wilson's and perhaps she's not the most knowledgable staffer on the team...

"I think Mr. Wilson said some people are turned away*," Kylah says absently, examining the interior and its archaic design. "Although he did include health reasons as well as scheduling. Which reminds me of something I meant to ask back at the hospital. Are there any limits as to who is allowed to take treatment? Vulcans, for example... it was mentioned they have bad reactions. Are they barred from taking the treatment, or do they have to sign some sort of legal release? Any other medical reasons that might prevent one from partaking in the spores?" Kylah suddenly realizes a bit difference between this and other resorts she's seen: no children. "And are there age limitations? May people bring children here, even if they are not permitted spore treatment?"

* See this post
    Last edited by choie; 17 Dec 2013 at 12:19 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"It would not hurt to mention the possibility of it in our report," T'Var says. "If the spores could have a positive medical impact, that aspect of their use should be fully researched."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham looks to see if the door to the house has a lock, and if there is any sign that modern sensors have been built into the old building.

"Are these old cottages wired up at all with modern sensors - entry / egress records, that sort of thing?" he asks Hsu.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The house is plain and simple, a few dozen meters on a side, with wooden furniture and a pair of old-fashioned frame beds in one corner. The beds are covered in thick red-plaid wool blankets. A kitchen with a wood-burning stove is in one corner. Everything appears clean and well-maintained.

Mrs. Hsu says, "Well, I'm not a doctor. Vulcans are strongly discouraged from spore introduction for the reasons you mention, and I know of none who've been exposed other than for research. We've never had any Vulcan guests that I can recall. Species restrictions aside, the health reasons for a typical humanoid not to use the spores would, I suppose, include breathing difficulties, strong allergies and so on. But again, I'm not really involved in those issues. We do have children here now and then - you'll remember it was a child who was responsible for one of the accidental spore exposures in the resort. WR&R's policy bars children under age six, but I think that's more to avoid annoyance to the other guests than for any medical reasons. In any event, it's not unusual for whole families - parents and children - to undergo spore introduction."

She listens to Graham's questions. "Only a few of the buildings have locks. The Sandoval colonists were... a very trusting sort, and didn't have much that anyone would come to steal anyway. There are no modern sensors on individual buildings, I don't think, although there are the area sensors I mentioned earlier."

In the hospital, Dr. Halsey frowns. "You say if the spores have a positive medical impact, Doctor - but they really do, as has been proven time and again, dating back to the original Sandoval Colony! That's a big reason why people come here, and an even bigger reason why Starfleet has its research station."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Actually, if I may ask", interrupts Rangin, "How much interaction is there between yourselves and research centre. Do you swap notes and records, all anonymised of course?"

Rangin wonders where Dr T'Var is going with her questioning. Something seems to be on her mind, but he is not sure what.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey tells Rangin, "There's a pretty regular and ongoing exchange of medical data between us. They do research; I just try to keep our guests and staff healthy."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 19 Dec 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah listens to Hsu's comments about entire families undergoing the spore treatment, and feels... saddened. Children shouldn't need enforced bliss. And once the spores wear off, would a child fully understand why he or she is no longer happy? If Kylah herself had undergone such a treatment when she was nine or older--the time when her life was turned upside down and she was desperately unhappy--the resulting aftereffect, suddenly feeling all the unhappiness, awkwardness, and confusion of real life returning in a rush? That would have been devastating. Cruel.

She says nothing about this because there's nothing to be said that will matter to Ms. Hsu. But Kylah will absolutely recommend to Starfleet that no child, no one, who is unable to give informed consent on his or her own, should ever be allowed to partake in such a treatment.

Her mood suddenly very low, Kylah moves to Collins. "Lieutenant," she says quietly, "unless you feel otherwise, I believe the official tour has reached its limit of value for us. Perhaps we might undertake our separate explorations as planned?"
    Last edited by choie; 18 Dec 2013 at 12:11 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yes," Collins replies. "Kylah, you're with me, Delaney with Graham." She'd much rather roam around with Graham, but she concedes the point that the two security officers should split up to ensure the safety of the others. She looks at Kylah and sighs inwardly. "Where would you like to start, Ensign?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Blinking, Kylah flashes a quick look at Delaney and Graham--have they noticed that Collins has completely switched her original orders?--before returning to Collins. Of course she's tempted to point out the mission leader's latest bizarre behavior, but she knows it's not worth it. She's only marginally less awkward around Graham than she is with Collins anyway. The Ferguson situation may have switched that, but only if Graham didn't report it to Collins.

Kylah also suspects that being paired with either of them will be about as successful an undercover operation as walking around with the fleet admiral in full regalia, considering they lack the subtlety of one of those saber bears her uncle's friends used to boast about hunting.

"After asking Mrs. Hsu's permission," she says quietly, "perhaps we might ask her where the most guests are likely to be at this time of day. Lieutenant Delaney and I have already visited the pool area while still in our uniforms, so I recommend we avoid that if we wish to remain inconspicuous."
    Last edited by choie; 18 Dec 2013 at 02:14 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mrs. Hsu is standing right there. She says, "It's late afternoon, local time, so you'll find people all over. Some might be going back to their rooms about now to change for dinner."

Registered
    Mar 2012

The thought of changing for dinner reminds Kylah of the evening ahead. ...Which she needs to confirm with Mr. Švehla. "Lieutenant, I should get in contact with the guest who kindly offered to give me a tour of the resort. I was to call him to arrange our plans." She looks at Hsu. "You mentioned that there are no modern sensors in these buildings. Does this mean there are no comm panels nearby either? If not, where is the nearest place I may try to reach one of your guests?" She hesitates, a bit shyly. "You might also help me in another way... can you please recommend any particular gift shop where I might purchase an appropriate dress for evening? Knowing this particular gentleman's background, I suspect formal wear will be most suitable."

Registered
    May 2013

Well, Graham thinks, Delaney's probably not the one who's going to help me figure out what little something to get for Bennet. But maybe he knows Ferguson and I can get some useful intel out of him while we're palling around.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"There are no comm panels in these buildings, but you may use my data pad, if you like, Ensign," Mrs. Hsu says. "As for a gift shop... Mazime's might be to your liking. It's just off the main lobby, ahead and to your right after you enter by the main doors."

Delaney adds, "Your communicator can link directly into the resort's commnet, Kylah. I'll show you, if you like."

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Oh yes, please do, Lieutenant Delaney. I should have thought of that possibility myself," Kylah says. "Mrs. Hsu, thank for the offer, but if it is allowed, I think it will be useful to have a direct connection as Lieutenant Delaney has suggested. And I will certainly try this Mazime's," she says, almost smiling to herself. The prospect of shopping lifts her spirits somewhat. Back home her wardrobe was always hand-made for her by the royal tailors, and of course at the Academy and as a Starfleet officer her uniforms have been supplied as well, except for some items she brought with her from Elas. Picking out something on her own will be a fairly new experience. She nearly asks Hsu if Maxime's is the finest store they have, since credits are no object--but fights the impulse. Her circumstances are better left unspoken.

She looks somewhat hopefully at Collins. "With your permission, Lieutenant, may I take a moment to contact the guest? And the resort's shopping area seems as good a place as any to find guests to engage in conversation--as long as we do not bother them," she adds for Hsu's benefit.
    Last edited by choie; 19 Dec 2013 at 01:55 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Hear that, Graham?" Collins teases "I guess you'll be hitting Mazime's first." To Kylah, she says "Why not?" Her heart really isn't in this mission. What's the big deal? So I'm getting a bad vibe from the place? I get a bad vibe almost everywhere new I go. I kind of wish Fastolfe had put up more resistance. At least then something interesting would have happened.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin waits to see if Dr T'Var has anything else to ask. He is still waiting to see what else might be around, but for the moment, the public side of the resort is pretty much as any WR&R resort would be.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah waits for Delaney to show her how to connect her communicator with the resort's network, thanks him, and then--suddenly feeling awkward--walks slowly to the far corner of the room to find a bit more privacy. She then contacts the front desk to ask for Mr. Švehla in Room 237.
    Last edited by choie; 19 Dec 2013 at 01:10 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney shows Kylah how to contact the resort, and she leaves a message in Mr. Švehla's comm account; he is apparently away from his room.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"The history of the spores is a mixed one," T'Var says with a slight sigh. "I only hope they are being used properly and to their fullest potential -- in a positive way, of course."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We're certainly doing our best here," says Dr. Halsey, sounding slightly put out. "I don't think you need to hope for that."

Švehla calls Kylah back within a few minutes. "Ensign Kylah! How nice to hear from you. Do you have any dinner plans?"

Collins's communicator also beeps. "Singh to Collins. Report, please."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks the man for returning her call so soon, and walks away to the window for privacy, looking out at the large, bucolic grounds. "No, Mr. Švehla, I have no such plans. Once my duties are done I will be available for the entire evening," she says unthinkingly. "I admit I was fully hoping to see the resort from your perspective, if you were open to it. Do you have a favored dining experience?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin can see the conversation degrading into long pauses, miscommunication and so on.

To Dr Halsey, "Although probably beyond your remit, would you be aware of any withdrawal problems from the spores your guests may have suffered after a set amount of time. I don't believe the Sandoval colonists have suffered any apart from perhaps a sense of longing, but I wonder if there have been any cases at all you might be aware of."

Turning to Dr T'Var, "Perhaps we should go and see the spores in action on the various guests who are staying here and find out how they are handling it. If the affect of the spores is a problem, it may be visible through observation, perhaps judging from the reactions of the guests. "

"Besides we are here to ensure this place is well run and the well being of the guests is certainly a priority for this medical facility, seeing how they guests are reacting would be the next logical step.", he reminds the Vulcan.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Collins here, Ma'am" Collins responds "So far everything seems on the up and up. There was a minor incident with one of the guests, but it didn't escalate." Unfortunately. "Ensign Kylah has accepted a dinner invitation from one of the guests. Delaney, Graham, and I will meet up with Rangin and T'Var for dinner at the spa. We'll pick a less expensive venue this time." this said with a smile and a wink in Collins' voice. "Then we'll return to the research station, if all that is acceptable, Ma'am."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var frowns, then gives Rangin a nod. "Most logical," she replies.

Closed thread