Closed thread
Page 18 of 82 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah takes a deep breath and nods. "Of course, sir, if you wish us to go as a group. I just... I was just contemplating a question I wished to ask Mr. Wilson. But I'm sure I can ask it of the medical staff as well." She moves a few steps nearer the others. "I am interested to hear Mr. Wilson's reply to Mr. Rangin's question, however."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wilson says, "Sandoval and his colonists were under the influence of the spores for years. The Enterprise's chief surgeon, and subsequent researchers, could find nothing physically wrong with them; quite the contrary. They all seemed to benefit from their prolonged exposure."

He leads the Yorktown landing party to the hospital, and introduces you to Dr. Robert "Bob" Halsey, a man in his mid-fifties with sad eyes and a slight paunch. His lab coat bears the stylized WR&R logo. He greets you politely, saying, "Welcome to the hospital. I guess you're getting the full tour, eh? Let me show you around." It is a bright, clean space with a nurse's station, waiting room, examination room, operating room, recovery ward and a small lab. A nurse, a Caitian female, is making notes on a data pad as you go by. She gives you a toothy smile.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Caitian
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Dec 2013 at 12:35 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

While entering the hospital, Kylah plans to defer to those who know biology best--T'Var and Rangin--and isn't particularly interested in the surroundings, which she expects will appear just like every other one she's seen. She does find it odd that they have an actual hospital rather than just a medical center. Are there that many situations that require emergency care? Then again, with so many long-staying visitors, it is only prudent to have a medical staff on call just in case.

Sure enough, her first look around proves the facility standard enough. It's only when her gaze falls upon the Caitian nurse that Kylah is caught off-guard, and she unconsciously takes a sharp inward breath. Her mind is immediately transported to her only previous mission: the Sakathian lab station, and in particular, that first meal she'd spent talking with that Caitian engineer--what was his name, Greb? Grev? Of course he is probably dead now--unless he was fast enough to escape after the explosion and chaos that followed.

It is only a coincidence, she thinks, but she takes a step back and has to look away regardless. Kylah is not superstitious, and yet, finding another Caitian on another mission makes her extremely uncomfortable. She keeps her gaze far away from the nurse.
    Last edited by choie; 03 Dec 2013 at 11:32 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

As they start walking to the hospital, Rangin follows up with Wilson. "A couple of things Mr Wilson. Firstly Sandoval and the colonists were all human, where as your guests are most decidedly not all human. Second, I asked what was the longest this spa had had a guest under the influence of spores, not what was the longest known."

To Dr Halsey, as they are being shown round, Rangin asks, "I suppose this is the quietest area of the spa given the effect of the spores and that most of this is purely precautionary? When was the last time you needed to perform a medical procedure?"

As they pass the Caitian nurse, Rangin acknowledges her with a nod and a cheery, "Afternoon."
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

From what T'Var has seen so far, the hospital is adequate to meet any medical need a guest or staff member would need. Rangin's questions are good ones and T'Var looks forward to hearing the answers.

"Without breaking any doctor/patient confidences," T'Var says, "what are the most common reasons for a guest to require a visit to the hospital?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah nods to herself at hearing both Rangin and T'Var's questions. In particular, she has a great appreciation for Rangin's persistence in getting a direct response from Wilson. In her experience he's generally such a congenial man, which makes the few times he's shown assertiveness all the more noteworthy and, well, impressive. Such a dichotomy is far more interesting to her than someone who is quick to aggression, always on the attack.

Perhaps she's known too many Elasians and Klingons. And humans, for that matter.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wilson says to Rangin, "Sorry, I misunderstood your question. The longest any of our guests has remained under the spores' influence is, I think, 14 months. She was human, too, and had no health problems as a result of that relatively prolonged exposure. Other than the species such as Vulcans which we know don't react well to the spores, I know of none which had a bad reaction to exposure."

Dr. Halsey nods. "I'd agree with all that. We have the hospital because Starfleet required it of WR&R as a condition for our franchise and yes, it's mostly just to be on the safe side. We do have more than a few elderly or ill guests, after all, and sometimes they require treatment. One guest had a heart attack a month ago or so, and I treated him and stabilized his condition until he could take the next ship out. That was my most recent major procedure. We also have occasional accidents or minor injuries among the staff - cuts, falls, abrasions and the like - as well as some with chronic health conditions, and it's convenient to treat them here."

He replies to Dr. T'Var, "Always good to meet another doctor! Welcome to OC3. The most common reason for a guest to visit is for the administration of prescribed medication and general wellness or health monitoring. I've been here for seven months, and I've never had to treat anyone for any malady that I could say was a direct result of the spores."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Dec 2013 at 04:39 PM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

"How about stabbings?" Graham asks the doctor. Before he has a chance to answer, he turns to Wilson and pulls the knife from his waistband. "Maybe the doctor here can tell me otherwise, but I'm going to guess that guests who are blissed out on spores aren't in any condition to defend themselves. Do you have procedures in place to prevent guests who might have a...an attitude problem, like your 'friend' earlier--or let's call it 'an agenda other than relaxing'--from bringing deadly weapons down here?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wilson shakes his head. "No. Weapons are prohibited, and our guests agree to that in registering at check-in, but we respect their privacy and don't search their baggage or personal effects."

Registered
    May 2013

"So I hear where you're coming from, Mr. Wilson," Graham says slowly, examining the sharpness and balance of the knife as he speaks. "And I know you've had a hard day." He replaces the knife in his waistband.

"But if what you're saying is that the only thing standing between any of the most likely millions of people with a grudge against the richest people in the galaxy...or a terrorist organization eager to wipe out half the big shots in the quadrant--plus a Starfleet admiral--at a stroke is paying the entry fee and being willing to lie about the fact that their luggage is full of phaser II's...well, maybe we should have a longer discussion about security during our time here."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah barely manages to avoid raising an eyebrow at Graham's comments, but she does flick a glance at Collins, almost hoping the woman will be just as annoyed at the junior officer as she was when she upbraided Kylah for overstepping boundaries on her first mission.

She then darts her gaze over various medical instruments, keeping her face as blank as possible to hide her feelings. But inside she grumbles: "We" should have a longer discussion about security? Correct he may be, that is all well and good, but to presume to say "we"?! The effrontery! Her irritation isn't just that Graham is an Ensign, but a man, who's taking it upon himself to play this role when it is Lt. Collins as mission leader who should initiate such cautionary remarks.

But then, that is typical of males, is it not? Very likely he thinks the warning will not be taken seriously coming from a woman, or he fears Collins will not rise to the occasion, or that he must protect her in some way from appearing in an unflattering light to the director. As if such a thing matters! Despite her own misgivings about Collins's leadership, Kylah herself would not be so presumptuous.

Even taking the knife out as he did... Pure manhood display, no different from a befeathered peacock on Earth. A sudden thought makes her flush, and she has to clamp her lips together to keep from smirking: I am surprised he did not dare Wilson to compare measurements to see who possesses the longer weapon.
    Last edited by choie; 05 Dec 2013 at 02:11 AM.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yes, well, while Ensign Graham has a point, Mr Wilson, I'm sure you do have other precautions in place?" Collins asks. She couldn't have phrased it better than Graham, but this way she gets to look like the nice one.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The mission leader's words make it through Kylah's ears, but she can hardly believe them. Her mouth parts as if to speak, but she quickly shuts it and continues to stare with extreme interest at a beaker of bandages. It is fortunate she hasn't taken hold of anything, for if she had, it might very well be crushed by the fists she's clenching tightly to her sides.

Now this woman wishes to play the diplomat? She charged in here like a Klingon drunk on bloodwine, demanding Wilson's records before they'd exchanged two sentences; now, when Graham supercedes her authority, taking on not just a superior Security Officer role but that of a Mission Leader as well, suddenly Collins is all mealy-mouthed politeness?

No doubt if I had taken charge like this, she would have told me to sit down and not say another word, Kylah thinks in disgust, still remembering how Collins had embarrassed her on the last mission. Yet a big strong junior male officer on her staff takes over what should be her role? Oh no, that is quite all right. Does she not see how this undermines her authority? Do all human women defer to men in commanding respect, or is it just this one?

Kylah then remembers Captain Singh and purses her lips. Ah yes. I was too precipitate. It is indeed probably just Collins.

She closes her eyes and takes deep breaths. If only she'd had time to learn more from T'Var about relaxation...

"Dr. Halsey," she says suddenly through a tight jaw, hoping to get her mind off this perceived inequity. "I am curious. Do your long-term guests ever need an additional exposure to the spores? Or does a single exposure last indefinitely, without any change in potency?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Please do not show me that knife again, Mr. Graham," Wilson says stonily. "Perhaps it would be better if you took it to the Starfleet research station, or beamed it up to your ship?"

Mrs. Hsu says, with a glance at her boss, "I'm sure we can discuss our security procedures later. We're always willing to make improvements."

Dr. Halsey also seems eager to change the subject. He replies to Kylah, "Uh, no, a single exposure suffices indefinitely. Additional exposures make no difference, neither hurting the individual or enhancing the potency or effect of the spores."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shrugs amiably. "Permission to beam the knife to the Yorktown for safe keeping, Lieutenant?" Graham asks Collins. "Before I inadvertently disturb Mr. Wilson or a guest again. Or," he adds in a lower voice, leaning toward Collins, "I stab myself in the ahem."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Well, we wouldn't want your ... ahem ... bleeding all over the place," Collins replies to Graham in a likewise lowered voice, then in her regular voice, "Yes, Ensign, send it up to the ship."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham casually moves toward toward T'Var and says in a low voice, "Sorry to interrupt, Doc. It seemed like a good time to..." He pauses for a second. "To make a point, I guess you could say..." He gestures and rolls his eyes slightly, acknowledging the joke isn't funny. "'Ha-ha'. But I apologize for barging in while you were talking medicine."

Registered
    Feb 2009

There's a chill that runs down Rangin's spine. He'd seen plenty of small-minded, petty, bullying, arseholes on Coridan and one of the reasons for joining Starfleet was to avoid them and make Coridan a better place. He wasn't expecting to find a pair of them on the same starship let alone in the same group as him. It was like watching a thug with a slime devil on a leash saying I'm doing you a favour keeping him on a leash, otherwise he would be really nasty to you. Collins and Graham were both acting as though they knew there was nothing Wilson could do and frankly it was contemptible.

Rangin decided to stay calm, let it play out and report it those above. It was their job to handle it. He just makes a couple more obscure notes into his tricorder to remind him later.

Of course, if they pulled that trick with one of the guests, it would likely remove the effect of the spores and then...Rangin didn't want to think what the consequences of such an action would be.

Kylah who seems just as annoyed as he is at least try to move the subject to something more appropriate before Collins and Graham decide to act like a pair of schoolchildren. Who knows what T'Var was thinking, it was probably just washing over her, but the WR&R people did not look happy about the scene. Rangin decides to try and move the subject on again.

He moves across to Dr Halsey to ask, "A quick question doctor and more out of curiousity then anything. Given the effect of the spores what have been the most beneficial effects you have seen on your clients here. Do you keep records here to be passed back to the usual health providers so they can understand where the change has come from or is it considered a WR&R secret for the clients to divulge if they see fit?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks at Wilson with a modicum of sympathy, and she even thinks of Falstofe's rights as a citizen as well. Yes, he is a violent, posing popinjay, but he did not seem to have genuinely intended harm on Wilson--at least, Wilson doesn't seem to be acting as if the man is a continual threat. Yet his knife has been confiscated, apparently permanently. On Elas, one's personal knives are extraordinarily valued; she herself has felt half-dressed since losing one of her two knives back on the station.

She glances at Collins. "If I may comment, sir, before you contact the ship? The knife is someone else's property, and as much as I abhor the threat to Mr. Wilson--real or perceived, I do not know for certain whether Lord Falstofe really meant him injury--I wonder if it is legal to deny him permanent access to it, especially as there are no criminal procedings in the offing. Not that I disagree with removing the knife from his person temporarily..."

Turning to Wilson, she asks: "Many hotels and resorts have storage areas where items may be kept for safekeeping during one's stay. Is there somewhere in the resort where you might securely lock up Lord Fastolfe's knife and then return it to him upon departure? I take it you value you him as a repeat guest, and he might be somewhat grateful for the return of his property--as much as one such as he would ever show gratitude," Kylah adds, this time allowing herself to raise an eyebrow.

And now Rangin has asked yet another interesting question, and Kylah is curious to hear the answer. He has also reminded her of the unique healing capabilities of the spores, and this makes her wonder how many people come here specifically to be cured of something previously considered incurable. And how far could one extend this? Would someone wounded by phaser fire be helped? Could a deadly poison be counteracted? Indeed, if Fastolfe had injured Wilson, would Wilson have been easily healed?

She makes a mental note to ask this of either Hasley or Anderson, but does not wish to interrupt T'Var or Rangin's own line of questioning.
    Last edited by choie; 06 Dec 2013 at 09:19 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var nods at Graham. "Your point was well taken," she whispers to Graham. "No apology necessary."

The doctor smiles at Halsey with her most friendly smile -- for a Vulcan, of course. "Yes, it is always a pleasure meeting with a fellow physician," T'Var replies. "I am quite interested in your facility here and the details of its function."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey tells Rangin, "It's our practice, with the consent of individual guests, to send arrival and departure medscan results to their physicians, and if necessary, sometimes a brief report. We also, with personal identifiers removed, provide medical data on an ongoing basis to the Starfleet research station here." He looks around. "Any other questions?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah glances at Dr. T'Var, who has seemed pensive rather than questioning during her time here. Deciding she might as well take the risk of being presumptuous--presumption certainly does not seem to have caused a problem for another ensign newer than myself!--she speaks up. "Yes, I have, if I may. Dr. Halsey, have there been any conditions that the spores do not help? Will they cure a fresh phaser wound? Regrow a lost limb? Would they negate the effects of a poison? I suppose I am asking if there are limits to these seemingly miraculous entities." A thought occurs to her. "Might--might they restore someone who is comatose?"
    Last edited by choie; 07 Dec 2013 at 01:44 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey says, "We haven't tested the spores on energy-weapon wounds, but given the delayed reaction for healing - typically two to three weeks after exposure, at a minimum - I suspect it wouldn't be worth the wait. Likewise, of course, as to poison. A lost limb could, I believe, be regrown in time, given what we've already seen of regrown appendixes, tonsils, internal organs and so on. As to comatose patients... as it happens, Dr. Villa of your ship has already been in touch with me about one of her patients." He scratches his ear. "There's a possibility that the spores might do some good, but I can't say for sure. We haven't tried it before."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Dec 2013 at 01:10 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

First good news in a while thinks Collins guiltily, realizing she's barely given Fujishiro a second thought since the Zombie Apocalypse. But if Villa is on it, then it's good news indeed.
    Last edited by anyrose; 07 Dec 2013 at 02:17 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah listens, enrapt--and when the doctor mentions that Dr. Villa has already been in touch regarding Fujishiro, her heart gives a leap of hope. "How wonderful to hear," she blurts, looking at Rangin to share the moment before returning to Halsey. "If anything can be done to assist our colleague... that would lift a tremendous burden from our minds, Doctor, and most importantly it would a blessing for her family. Like Ensign Rangin I too am concerned about the longterm effects of the spores, but I was just thinking that for such cases as these, where very lives are at stake, thinking of consequences down the line becomes less of a priority. Although, of course, it would depend on the gravity of any such effects."

She shakes her head, realizing she's far too unknowledgable to discuss medical questions like these. "I beg your pardon, I know very little about the fields of medicine or biology," Kylah adds with a murmur. "I just find myself as excited by the possibilities as I am concerned about the risks."

With a glance at the room, another thought occurs to her. "I did wish to ask... After the introduction, I was impressed by how thoroughly your staffers ensured there were no extra spores remaining in the room or attached to the guests. I still feel compelled to ask: have there ever been any accidents where spores did get loose? And what becomes of those spores once they are 'used'? How are they disposed of--or are they sent over to the research lab or recycled in any other way?"
    Last edited by choie; 08 Dec 2013 at 01:01 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey looks at Wilson, who nods. The doctor says, a little hesitantly, "We have twice had spores brought into the main part of the resort. Once, a few months ago, it was some loose spores carried in the pockets of a child who was a guest and who had been out on the grounds, where she picked them up. A resort staffer noticed almost immediately, and the spores were removed. No one inhaled them, and no one was brought under their influence. Another time, just over a year ago, a guest - an adult guest - carried in an entire plant. The plant sprayed another staffer, a waitress from one of the restaurants who was off-duty at the time, before other staffpeople wearing breathing masks could remove it. The waitress was immediately removed from the spores' influence without incident. Used spores are usually incinerated in a secure process. There's no need to save them, as there are always more growing. They're quite hardy, as you know."

Registered
    Mar 2012

"I see," Kylah says, taking in the information without much surprise while keeping her voice neutral. Rather than commenting on the incidents--twice in just a year, how sloppy for such a perfectly-run establishment--she picks up another point she only just considered.

"I did not think you needed to save them, actually. It occurs to me that considering their potency, rarity, and the high prices charged to acquire access, the loose spores are ripe for use on a black market. Indeed I am surprised there has not been any attempt at theft. In my corner of the galaxy we well know anything unique and desirable is either stolen, exploited, sold illicitly or outright fought over--"

She suddenly notices how close to bitter she sounds. After a quick glance down at her clasped hands, Kylah softens her tone. "I--I just wonder that you have not sought out a greater security presence around the planet. Or within your resort--as Ensign Graham remarked, you do seem to rely on trust, which is laudable, but... I wonder if it is wise. I am sure all your employees are worthy people, but as I said, anyone might be tempted if the price for black market goods is right."

And just then she is reminded that no one, neither Collins, Graham, nor Wilson, has commented on her suggestion regarding Fastolfe's knife.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Graham, hang on" Collins stops him before he calls the ship, "Mr Wilson, do you have a secure storage for your guests? Perhaps Mr. Fastolfe's knife should be kept there until he's ready to leave."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey says, "The spores lose their potency soon after ejection from the plants, and the plants die soon after removal from OC3's atmosphere. I don't think smuggling is likely to be a problem."

Wilson says, "Yes, we have safe deposit boxes in our vault. We could keep it there."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham turns toward Collins. "I had been thinking he could pick it up from a Federation evidence locker." He pauses and adds contemplatively, "possibly on Deep Space K-7, due to a small...'clerical error.'" He switches back to a business-like tone. "But if you prefer the safe deposit box I'll see to it, Lieutenant."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"He didn't actually injure anyone. We can leave it here, safely locked up, for him." Collins tells Graham, and nods to Kylah by way of gratitude.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Wilson for his information, though she's still uncertain about the level of security on this planet and the resort in particular. It seems ripe for an invasion to her, especially by those who wouldn't fully understand the science--or, on the other hand, might have more knowledge, and thus a way of preserving the plants' effectiveness beyond OCIII's unique atmosphere. Since she knows so little herself, however, she drops the subject. She can't help believing that Rangin, who like her comes from a planet besieged by those who wish to exploit its resources, might be thinking along the same lines as she is.

When she hears the exchange between Collins and Graham, Kylah is pleased--and, though she hides it, completely astonished by Collins's nod of appreciation.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham swallows a scowl. He's not surprised that all the pieces are falling into place to spare Fastolfe the slightest bit of inconvenience. You put a bully together with a big pile of money, and you get a toxic combination of their own arrogance and every aspect of the world around them failing to deliver the slightest bit of pushback...or in point of fact rewarding them for going further and further, he thinks.

This gives him pause, and he turns to look at Kylah. He was impressed by her ability to talk through the situation earlier: whether it was how he would have played it or not, he recognizes communications skills that far exceed his own. But, he thinks, why was she so solicitous of a bully and a user given her...situation--whatever it exactly is?

His brow furrows and he wonders if it's something personal, or about Elasian culture...then he catches himself and looks away. He almost laughs, then: yeah, that would be just my luck, I piss off the Doc because she catches me staring at her girlfriend.
    Last edited by general_urko; 09 Dec 2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: minor edit

Registered
    Sep 2009

"If you have no other questions for Dr. Halsey, then," Wilson says, "I'll take you by the reception desk. The vault is in our administrative offices."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin is very pleased to hear that Dr Villa has taken enough of an interest in Fujishiro's condition that the question has been asked. He wonders if Dr T'Var knew of this in advance and that was why Rangin's question of her was so neutral. He responds to Kylah's brief glance with a nod thjat perhaps something is being done that they know about.

Rangin is glad to hear that the resort has had leaks and that they were dealt with quickly. If nothing had ever have happened, he probably would not have believed it.

As for security of the planet, its not the safest place to be, which is why he was wondering how they handle the word of the medical impact coming out. In some ways he pleased to see Graham leashed by Collins. It doesn't make their behaviour earlier any less palatable but at least Collins has seen sense. And its thanks to Kylah again and damn if she isn't the most impressive lady when she's in full flow.

When Wilson asks, Rangin responds "Just one question for Dr Halsey. Have you had any visitors come especially for the spore therapy as a cure rather than relaxation..." Rangin turns to Wilson, "...and perhaps you could answer later, how would you cope if Omicron Ceti 3 did become known as a modern day Lourdes?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Halsey says, "We do have some people come for a cure, of course, both here and to the Starfleet research station. It's a pretty steady stream of visitors, although Federation medicine is advanced enough that I think we're in no danger of being swamped."

"I'm not familiar with Lourdes," Wilson says, "but if I understand the reference, I agree with Dr. Halsey. We could always expand our operations if necessary." He smiles. "That is, if our contract with the Federation is renewed, of course."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Thank you, " as Rangin returns the smile with one of his own, "and yes it was a poor use of the reference. I don't think I have anything further."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is curious about what "Lourdes" could mean, and resolves to ask Rangin if they have a chance to talk later. From the context of Wilson's answer she gathers it was some famous medical facility, but where it was and why it was so renowned, elude her.

She wishes she could look at the chronometer on her tricorder without being too obvious, except that would mean having to look sideways at Graham's hip, which seems... less than inconspicuous. How much time is left before they will be given permission to go off-duty? Kylah knows she's supposed to be teamed up with Graham--although who knows how well such a partnership will work, considering the recent awkwardness regarding the knife--but frankly she is itching to go shopping for an evening gown that's suitable for tonight. And, she thinks with a sidelong glance at Rangin, suitable for impressing a xenobiologist as well.
    Last edited by choie; 10 Dec 2013 at 10:32 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I will probably have more questions once I've had a chance to explore the hospital and learn more about its daily function," T'Var tells Dr. Halsey.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"You're welcome to stay and explore, if you like," Dr. Halsey says. "It'd be nice to talk shop."

Rangin says, "I think I'll stay, too."

"All right, then," Wilson says. "Let's the rest of us go to the admin offices, shall we?" He leads everyone but Dr. T'Var back to the main lobby, past the concierge's stand and back behind the gleaming marble registration desk, into the resort's back offices. After several twists and turns in the corridors there, past several nice offices and a handful of startled-looking WR&R execs, he leads you to the resort's vault.

A large, heavy door slides aside after Wilson's voiceprint is confirmed. Several dozen polished-steel drawers of various sizes line the vault, a large cubical space about five meters on a side. "Many of our guests like to leave valuables with us," he explains. Each drawer has a small fingerprint or voiceprint sensor pad. Small lights glow on several occupied drawers; the others are all dark. Wilson selects a small drawer, big enough for the dagger, and encodes it: "Computer, note one dagger, left by Director Wilson for our guest Lord Fastolfe, retrievable by the guest," he says clearly. The drawer beeps and slides open.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11 Dec 2013 at 02:19 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham pulls out the knife and flips it over once in his hand. He then places it in the container. Before removing his hand he asks, with genuine curiosity, "Any overrides on these things? Head of security? Facility administrator? Planetary emergency?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I am at your service, Dr. Halsey," T'Var says. "Perhaps you could suggest a good place to begin my exploration?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Please note that, at CIAS's request, I've changed post 890 to have Rangin remain with Drs. Halsey and T'Var in the resort hospital.

Wilson says, "The Chief of Security and I each have an override code. We've never had to use them, though, which is just as well, because the paperwork afterwards would be huge."

"I don't have any ideas in particular, Doctor," Dr. Halsey says, gesturing with his hand. "You've already been through the hospital. What are you interested in, uh, exploring?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham smiles slightly and chuckles. "Well, I can sympathize with that. Just one second..." He glances at Kylah as he takes her tricorder in both hands, "if you don't mind my using this, Ensign..." He uses it to take pictures and scan the length of the blade and other relevant characteristics of the knife as if he were entering it into Starfleet evidence, then spreads his hands and steps back. "It's all yours."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins walks over to and leans in towards Graham and quietly asks "What, are you hoping to solve a cold case or something?" She then steps forward. "Lead on, Mr. Wilson."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah watches Graham's display--and to her, that is all this is, yet another attempt at asserting his authority and power. Honestly it seems little different from Lord Fastolfe's overweening sense of entitlement. Except to her, this is worse, since Graham is backed by the weight of his Starfleet position, with or without his uniform. He would claim himself acting for safety's sake, for the good of all.

She's seen on her own planet how much abuse of authority has been excused under the guise of security. Officers assigned to the Elasian Council Order Guardians answer only to the Council and the Dohlman, and they too strut around, making a great show of how very suspicious they are of everyone's motivations but their own, flinging accusations around... in short, they are bullies sanctioned by the government. Pulling such stunts simply because they can.

None of Graham's over-aggressive demeanor today should surprise her after that tale he'd told them at the dinner for the Admiral. Still, Kylah had hoped he was different, considering how solicitous he'd acted after the incident with Ferguson. Maybe that is all it was; an act. Trying to get me to trust him, trick me into revealing my ardent passion for that odious man.

She finds herself wondering whom Graham is trying to impress now: Collins, most likely? Wilson? Or perhaps just himself?

When Collins asks Wilson to lead them, Kylah's frustration mounts. Weren't they intended to have a chance to look around without Wilson playing nursemaid? What value is there in their having donned civilian clothes if the resort's administrator is leading them about, making them nearly as conspicuous as they were in their uniforms?

Trying to hide her irritation, she turns back to the junior security officer. "Of course you may use my tricorder, Mr. Graham, but I am glad you reminded me of it. I realized earlier that it was wrong to burden you with my own equipment simply for the sake of fashion. I thank you for your gallantry, but I should not have asked, as it is my responsibility to tend to my own equipment. May I have it back, please, when you are done with it?" She holds out her hand with as pleasant an expression as she can muster.
    Last edited by choie; 11 Dec 2013 at 05:18 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

"Of course," Graham replies to Kylah, handing her the tricorder. He shrugs and cracks a small smile. "'Gallantry's' way too kind, it really wasn't a big deal."

Then he frowns. "In fact it came in handy--resort or not, I should have come prepared for unexpected events by bringing a security tricorder."

"Old hands like me ought to set a better example," he says quietly, shaking his head and feeling both irritated with himself and embarrassed he hadn't been more on the ball.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah places the tricorder strap around her shoulder. Actually, she's pleased to discover that the billowy material of dress's split sleeves does make it relatively easy to keep the tricorder itself out of sight; the strap probably just seems like a purse or decorative element.

"There is no need to berate yourself. We none of us are perfect," she murmurs while adjusting the strap to fit her shorter frame, and then adds somewhat dryly: "Even in Starfleet."
    Last edited by choie; 11 Dec 2013 at 06:08 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I heard that, you little shit. thinks Collins, "True, we all have made mistakes." She says in the same dry tone as Kylah.

Registered
    May 2013

"Heh," Graham replies, cheering up a little. "Maybe Vargas is perfect, as long as he gets a pass on sense of humor."
    Last edited by general_urko; 11 Dec 2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: syncing with kylah+anyrose statements

Closed thread