Closed thread
Page 15 of 82 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Two's company and three's a crowd thinks Rangin, but strange how the three non-terrans are together and the others have wandered off to eat terran food on a resort planet offering a wide variety of interesting tastes. Home away from home. Oh well, Rangin is sure he will enjoy the company, the heavy mob are off eating steak and our silent engineer is off eating pizza. Well, if they wish to miss out on the company of a pair of intelligent ladies, more fool them.

"I'll have a Bolian Fish Medley please, side order of Vulcan salad with Redspice and ... and a coffee."
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2012

As Rangin orders, Kylah watches him with interest tinged with amusement. "I was just thinking that I should have asked you for recommendations for Coridanite dishes," she says, fingers toying with her water glass, "but I see you have not ordered any yourself. Do you not pine for your own homeworld's delicacies, or are there none on the menu you think are particularly worth ordering?"

She adds to T'Var, "If you do not order the Plomeek soup yourself, please feel free to try some of mine. I would be curious to know if you find it a faithful rendering."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"There are several dishes from Coridan worth ordering, but it's not often I get to try and a different set of delicacies from across the sector in one place. For instance, the Bolian fish Medley contains a few of the more unusual species in it than the standard fare. I wonder if it will taste as good as fish plucked fresh from the sea that afternoon, but I'm sure it will come in a more refined form. Besides if I want home cooking, I know a few places to get it."

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Boston Prime will be fine, thank you." Collins smiles. "Not since I got into the Academy." she tells Graham, "My parents took me for a celebratory dinner. I had the exact same meal back then. Well, that restaurant had Sam Adams." She smirks. "It makes me happy."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var wrinkles her nose at the thought of plomeek soup. "To be honest," she says, "I do not enjoy Vulcan cuisine all that much."

The doctor turns to Rangin. "Perhaps you could suggest a dish from your culture I might try?"
    Last edited by WES; 11 Nov 2013 at 11:27 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin looks down the list of dishes from Coridan eyeing them up.

"I would suggest the Shiroska Salad with the Kirikil dressing. A good selection of the more exotic plants of Coridan and the dressing adds a certain tart flavour to it. It's not bland by any means. And, if I may be so bold, for a dessert could I entice perhaps both of you to try the Chilled Dilmoss Fizz. Certain plants on Coridan, like the moss, live near the dilithium deposits and contain trace amounts. If prepared properly, it is removed, but the fizz as it is swallowed is quite the sensation. Its definitely a worthwhile treat."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's eyes blink in surprise--she somehow forgot that Coridan, like Elas, is rich with dilithium deposits, and the fact that their worlds have this in common makes Kylah appreciate Rangin's friendship even more. Of course, Coridan was also a prize for the Federation, one fought over even more violently.

"We have something similar on Elas!" she says, almost giddy with nostalgic affection--and something else, too, that she can't define. Strange that her home life should be so unhappy, and yet her loyalty toward her planet is still fervent. "It is an alcoholic beverage from berries grown near the deposits. The fruit is fermented and mixed with heated crystals, and then the filtered liquid is lit aflame before being drunk. It is... very strong. I was never allowed to have more than a sip except once..." Kylah feels her face burn and quickly diverts from the subject. "Of course the drink is now illegal, since dilithium is now known as such a valuable commodity. Even the jewelers who used to fashion the gems have had their wares confiscated, and those of us with the trinkets made from them have had to give them up as well."

She sits back and pulls her napkin onto her lap, newly shy at having become so enthusiastic over such a little thing. But she does murmur: "How odd that I never noticed the similarity of our planets' histories with the Federation."
    Last edited by choie; 11 Nov 2013 at 05:35 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I thank you for your suggestions, Mr. Rangin," T'Var says. "I will try them."

T'Var looks over the menu once again -- just to see what other dishes are available.

"And I hope to enjoy cuisine from Elas someday," the doctor tells Kylah. "New experiences are what makes life most interesting."
    Last edited by WES; 11 Nov 2013 at 07:04 PM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

"T-bone sounds good, thanks," Graham replies to the waiter. He turns to Collins. "Last time I was even in a place this nice was investigating a murder." He shrugs. "Didn't get to eat on account of the body and all." He pauses for a moment. "So, ah, you're close to your parents?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Ryerson & McCormack steakhouse waiter nods and leaves with Collins's and Graham's order.

The Otherworldly restaurant waitress notes Kylah's and Rangin's orders and says to T'Var, a little uncertainly, "So... what did you wish, ma'am?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yeah," Collins replies, "in a normal-amount-of-dysfunctionality kind of way." She smiles and picks apart a piece of bread from the basket on the table. "Dad's in IT, and Mom's a teacher. We live in Old Mansfield, south of Boston, where two tarmac interstates used to cross. The overpass is preserved and looks odd with no roads attached." She giggles inwardly remembering the view from her bedroom window.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin is a little non-plussed by T'var's acceptance of his suggestion followed by going back over the menu. But that's her choice.

Turning slightly to Kylah, "I imagine if you look hard you can find several similarities between our respective planets and several things that are completely different."

He decides to wait until T'var has ordered and the waitress has gone before saying any more.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I will have the shiroska salad with kirikil dressing," T'Var tells the waitress. "And a cup of Vulcan spice tea."

The doctor closes her menu. "Hopefully, we will all have room for the dessert Mr. Rangin has recommended as well."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The waitress takes the good doctor's order, smiles and leaves.

Each restaurant is about half-full; the customers appear relaxed and happy.

The waiter soon brings Collins's and Graham's drinks.

Registered
    May 2013

"Well, here's to a normal amount of dysfunctionality," Graham says, raising his glass. "Speaking of which--not that I'm an expert on what fancy spas are supposed to feel like--but something sure feels weird here. I wish we could put eyeballs on the Admiral, too."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Oh, there's definitely something wrong here." Collins agrees, "Unfortunately, nothing concrete. I just wish we could get some straight answers from someone in the know who's not afraid to talk. Maybe we should ask someone on the ship to track down former employees. Meanwhile, after lunch, we'll meet up with the others and see if they've noticed anything hinky."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Now that the waitress has left, Kylah agrees with Rangin's fairly inarguable comment that there are both differences and similarities between their planets. Of course, before she was privately hoping he'd be more interested in pursuing the similarities, but clearly her enthusiasm at having something in common with him is not shared. Now she feels rather stupid and childlike for having been so avid in her own response.

So instead of continuing that no-win conversation, she looks at T'Var and says pleasantly, "I am curious that you do not enjoy your own planet's fare. What do you end up eating when you are home?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I am home very rarely," T'Var says with a bit of disappointment in her tone. "When I do have the opportunity to visit with my family, I tend to eat whatever my mother prepares for me." T'Var smiles at the thought of home and her mother. "She is an excellent cook. Vulcan cuisine always tastes better when she does the cooking."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin asks Kylah with slightly wide eyes, "You had trinkets made of dilithium and had to give them up? Somehow that just seems wrong."

Looking back down at the table, Rangin's face falls, "On Coridan, dilithium means Vulcans against Andorians against Tellarites with Coridanites in the middle and watching out for the Orion syndicate running illegal mines on the side. Its a mess all over the planet really. It's better since we joined the Federation, but not totally."

He lifts his gaze back to the pair. "My apologies, it's why I sometimes prefer different planets. If you're wondering, I don't get my home cooking from home."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Yorktown shipmates chat at their respective tables, and soon the food is brought out. It's all tasty and just as ordered.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The Plomeek soup is smooth and hot but very mild to Kylah's taste, and she uses it mainly as a sort of gravy to enhance the tuber. Kylah can feel the unusual warmth emanating from T'Var when she speaks of her family. "I hope this is not too forward a question, but do you have siblings, doctor? Is your father still alive?"

When Rangin surprises her with his rare--at least in her experience--expression of discontent, she has a surge of compassion for him. "I am sorry, Vel--Mr. Rangin," she amends quickly, aware that she's in front of T'Var. "I understand what battles a planet's resources can cause. Even in the minor case of giving up the dilithium jewelry... It was not compulsory for my own family, but it was thought best to do so as an example for our people--who were required to hand in their crystals." She shakes her head at the unimportant minor sacrifice compared to what Rangin described on Coridan. "But more seriously, I would have hoped becoming a member of the Federation would stabilize and protect Coridan. I am saddened to hear that these squabbles continue." But it does not surprise me. Kylah understands how greed can corrupt all sorts of ties. "It sounds as if you do not return there often. Do you..." Kylah hesitates on how to phrase this without sounding too obvious. "Do you still have family on your homeworld? Your parents, siblings, children...?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I have a rather large extended family," T'Var replies. "My parents are alive and well, thank you for asking. My siblings consist of two brothers and one sister. And there are quite a few uncles, aunts and cousins as well."

T'Var sighs softly. "My paternal and maternal grandparents are no longer living, however. Their presence meant a great deal to me in my youth."

Registered
    May 2013

"By the way, " Graham says between mouthfuls. "I apologize for speaking out of turn back there with Wilson. If you're going to tear me a new one over that, I get it. I appreciate the fact that you waited to do it until we weren't in front of the others...and giving me time to enjoy this tasty steak." He leans back, unconsciously rubbing his stomach.

"Ah, while we're on the subject of command--I'm not second-guessing you, L-T--but does it make sense for both security officers to be on the same team?" He pauses, wondering exactly how to phase his concerns. "I guess--it probably doesn't matter here. But...Kylah seems to...attract trouble, you might say. And I'm sure Delaney's a great engineer and all, but if it came down to having to use his phaser..." Graham makes the shape of a gun with his right hand and points it at himself. "I'm not 100% confident he'd aim it the right way..."

Registered
    Mar 2012

"I am sorry for the deaths of your grandparents," Kylah says to T'Var--her words sincere, but her thoughts somewhat envious when she contemplates how many living and apparently closely connected relatives the older woman has.

In truth, a small and petty side of her almost resents that T'Var possesses such a loving family when Vulcans seem largely self-contained and remote, while Kylah--so oversensitive and starved for affection--has relatives who might as well be made of stone. No, worse than stone: stone is cold, impartial and unfeeling, not venal, manipulative and cruel.

She fights the unworthy jealousy and refocuses her interest in learning more about T'Var. "They must be proud of your status in Starfleet, and your role as a healer," she says, her voice a bit hoarse. "Is anyone else in your family in the medical profession?"
    Last edited by choie; 14 Nov 2013 at 05:35 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins considers Graham's concerns a bit, and washes down what she'd been chewing, before answering. "I'm not going to reprimand you. Between you, me, and the lamppost, I was as surprised as everyone else that the Captain gave me a command again so soon after the zombie party. I can take down a Gorn, a Klingon, and a Romulan, with one hand behind my back, but I'm still learning how to strategize." She pauses briefly. "Kylah and Delaney are Academy graduates. They wouldn't have been assigned to a Constitution-class ship if they hadn't demonstrated the skills. But yeah, I could have paired us all up differently. Just," she pauses again, "I trust you, like I'd trust my brother if I had one. I'm not a hundred percent sure the others would have my back the way you would."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Nov 2013 at 10:32 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin catches Kylah's switch of his name and he smiles a warm smile at her feeling grateful for the compassion unasked for. "It's getting better there, but it will take time. Family...another time perhaps."

He pauses, lost in consideration before asking Kylah, "You haven't mentioned your own family? Anything you would like to share?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I am the only physician in my family," T'Var answers. The doctor pauses a moment before continuing. "I have several relatives who serve in government, though."

Registered
    May 2013

"Aw shucks," Graham says, waving a hand and grinning. "You're giving me too much credit. I've got your back out of pure self-interest: just imagine how much grief I'd catch from Faisal and the rest of the Security team if I let the bad guys take out our mission commander...'Getting a little slow in your old age, Graham?' I'd never hear the end of it!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins smiles and raises her beverage to Graham.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is surprised to hear of T'Var's connections to her planet's leadership. "Then you must be proud of them as well," she says. "The Vulcan government is held in respect by other worlds, and is of great import and influence in the Federation. But of course, what matters most is the affection you have for one another."

She catches Rangin's smile and is uncertain what she did to earn it, but grateful nonetheless. However, his response about his family--or the lack of a response--deflates her. Kylah now fears she grew too personal and ventured near some painful subject; she's also more convinced he has a family of his own, or had one, and he doesn't wish to reveal it to her for whatever reason. Either way, it was a foolish question to ask. If he'd wanted to bring up his family, he would have likely done so.

Busy kicking herself, she almost misses his own question. She looks down at her bowl and absently stirs the remaining soup. "I have a younger sister Ditraa and brother Tel, who is His Glory and Serenity, the Dohlman. All three of us are wards of our uncle until Tel is of age. That is all. Except for those whom I call cousins, although they--" Kylah frowns slightly and sets her spoon down. It is pointless to go into this here. "They are very distant," she concludes, truthfully enough. To change the subject, she asks hurriedly, "What do you two think of the resort thus far?"
    Last edited by choie; 14 Nov 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham clinks Collins' glass. As he lowers his own, he's distracted for a moment: what would it be like, he wonders, if Lt. Bennett were sitting across from me? The other night, he thinks--she'd just gotten a promotion. I was in the right place at the right time. There's no way in hell she'd want to come to a place like this with someone like me if she had time to think about it in her right mind.

And maybe that's for the best, he thinks. A woman like her fell for me before and we know how that turned out.

He clenches his jaw and then collects his thoughts--Collins just told me she trusts me to have her back. Not compatible with sinking into depression.

"Well," he says, a little heavily, then forces a lighter tone. "I guess we should get back to it, see what the others have dug up. Maybe we'll get a chance to take out some Klingons and Romulans after all. All things considered--'sis'--I gotta say I'd prefer to avoid going mano-a-mano with a Gorn, though." After a moment he adds, "Unless the big lizards challenge us to basketball. Height advantage or not, I think you've got that covered."
    Last edited by general_urko; 14 Nov 2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added brilliant basketball reference!

Registered
    Feb 2009

"And don't you forget it!" Collins laughs. She calls the server over so she can sign the tab.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin catches on Kylah's on kind of reluctance to speak of her own family. Maybe they have more in common than he thought. He quickly follows up on her question, relieved for the change in subject.

"The resort appears as a 5 star resort would do. Fabulously exquisite and catering to every need the guests could possibly require. The only thing that is bugging me is the reluctance of the staff to say anything about the resort. Not even say how wonderful it is, but insisting we talk to Mr Wilson. But then, its an expensive resort and a certain amount of silence should be expected. Staying here would probably be great for a week and would probably drive me nuts."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"There are simpler, less expensive ways to relax your body and mind," T'Var replies to Kylah's question. "I fine this resort a bit too grand -- and perhaps a bit too suspicious -- for my taste."

The doctor takes another bite of her salad. "This is quite good, Mr. Rangin. Thank you for recommending it."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah gathers from T'Var and Rangin's comments that they've seen and heard nothing specific that bothers them about the resort -- unless they were being circumspect, which Kylah doubts. She doesn't have anything to add and is no longer hungry... not for anything on this menu, at any rate; she almost wishes she had joined Graham and Collins at the steak house, where she could have indulged in the form of protein she loves best. As much as she disdains most Earth food, the meat she's had has always been delicious. Even if she does have to eat it in the least efficient way possible, using the dainty utensils of which Terrans are so fond.

But she doubts the meat would have been worth the price of discomfort she'd feel among the security officers' company.

When the others are also finished, Kylah looks at both of them. "I suppose we should meet the others back in the conference room. I hope we will have time to discuss what each of us learned during our... unguided tours."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Starfleet officers finish their lunches and put them on the ship's tab, and make their way back to the conference room. Mr. Khövsgöl, who had guided Delaney and Kylah there in the first place, is waiting. He says, "Mr. Wilson has been unavoidably delayed, and sends his apologies. Please have a seat. I expect him here shortly." He steps out into the hall.

Delaney arrives moments later. He sits down, pats his stomach contentedly and says, "Hope you all had a good lunch. I sure did! You've got to try the pizza here."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins motions to her crew to move to the far side of the room away from the door, and joins them. "Quickly, quietly, what have you all found out?"
    Last edited by anyrose; 15 Nov 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah glances at T'Var and Rangin, then focuses on Collins. "We were able to speak to three people--two guests and a staff member. My prime concern was the first guest, a human, who seems willing to stay here indefinitely. He claimed he has unlimited funds and no family, which may well be true, but considering how many people Mr. Wilson said have this inclination, I am worried that the spores are being used to maintain a permanent link to the guests' wallets. At least those who are suseptible. What I also found interesting was that the other guest, a Tellarite, was clearly affected by the spores but was able to keep her perspective. I was reminded of Dr. Anderson's behavior when Palver mentioned the Tellarites' reactions to the spores--she was definitely about to make a comment, but changed her mind. I would recommend comparing Admiral Hardin and his aide's demeanors, to see whether there are similar differences."

She hesitates, then adds: "Also, as I mentioned before lunch, I have been invited to tour the resort this evening with the first guest--the human from Earth who was highly affected by the spores. With your permission, Lieutenant, I would like to take advantage of this opportunity. I could not help noticing how concerned the guests were at seeing Starfleet officers walking around. Whereas, I believe i will have a much better chance of hearing honest, open responses if I were simply accompanying another guest and wearing civillian clothing; certainly I would attract less attention. May I accept the invitation, sir?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins considers Kylah's request. "Yes, good. Do it, but be careful and check in regularly."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"We were unable to learn much of anything," T'Var tells Collins. "The staffers we spoke with did not seem very willing to assist us."

The doctor frowns. "Perhaps the medical staff might be more forthcoming."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Right, but I think Kylah is on to something." Collins pulls out her communicator "Collins to Yorktown. I'd like to speak with the Captain."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Relieved that Collins has agreed to let her go on the tour, Kylah nods at the suggestion to be careful. She cannot imagine any danger in the situation, especially from anyone under influence of the spores, but one never knows.

Only when Collins communicates with the ship does Kylah remember something she intended to include in her report. In the seconds before Collins receives her reply, Kylah aims a meaningful look at T'Var. "The medical staff will be a vital resource, I agree. By the way, I should mention that I found the staffers we met, from Mr. Wilson to the pool attendants, to be sincere. It may simply be that we have not asked the right questions, but the answers we've received were straightforward, with no apparent effort to deceive." She hastens to add with a modest murmur, looking downward: "Of course it is just my opinion; however, I am adept at spotting lies."
    Last edited by choie; 16 Nov 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham fidgets a little. Maybe Collins was a little cavalier about sending a non-Security officer off on her own undercover, he thinks. But the again, maybe I'm being over-protective given what I've seen go on with Kylah. And also how super-rich scumbags can treat young women.

He steps closer to Kylah. who had just been speaking with T'Var. "I don't mean to interrupt...good, ah...good work, Ensign." He says, nodding. "I certainly haven't been able to get anyone to tell me squat." He pauses a moment. "If you're willing to listen to some advice from someone who's gone undercover before, wear something that let's you hide your phaser where you can have easy access. Once you're dressed, practice getting at it with either hand a couple dozen times." He shrugs. "Granted my assignments were usually on godforsaken hellholes, not fancy resorts, so I guess you probably won't need it." He pauses again. "And...ah...if something's going south don't hesitate to give the word." He shrugs. "That's what those of us who aren't as good at talking as you or Rangin are here for."
    Last edited by general_urko; 16 Nov 2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo; caught up with Kylah's post talking to T'Var

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney says, "The staff has seemed a bit evasive, or at least deferential to Wilson, but the guests all seem very happy and contented. We should definitely do some more digging, though."

Lt. Thalen answers aboard the Yorktown, and quickly puts Collins through to the Captain. "Singh here. Report, Mr. Collins."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is surprised by Graham's quiet approach and she looks up at him as he expresses the compliment and the advice--both of which are welcome. "Thank you," she says softly, pleased to have her success recognized. "I imagine I will need a purse to hide the weapon, as most women's eveningwear is not known for pockets. However, I..." She hesitates, then decides that if he knows anything about Elasians, as a man in security probably does, he's probably already aware of their customs, including the knife she's wearing on her thigh. "I am well-versed in accessing concealed weapons when necessary. I doubt there will be any need. The spores are famous for dulling any antagonism or aggression--and even if spores were not involved, I cannot see what inducement this stranger would have to ill-treat me."

Even as she says the words, she realizes that this is precisely what she would have said about Ferguson two days ago. Kylah shakes her head at the thought. Ferguson clearly does have a reason for hating her as he does; he is just hiding it. Jan Švehla is simply a man on a vacation interested in showing her the resort. There is no comparison here.

"I will heed your advice nonetheless, Mr. Graham," she finishes, still keeping her voice low so as not to disturb Collins's conversation. "I do appreciate it."
    Last edited by choie; 17 Nov 2013 at 12:20 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Captain, so far we have not found anything amiss or to give substance to the sense I've gotten that something is off." Collins tells the Captain. "Doctor T'Var will meet with the spa's medical staff, but I'd like permission for all of us to resume our investigation in civvies. Ensign Kylah pointed out that our uniforms might be discouraging guests and staff from speaking freely."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Permission granted," the Captain says, "but you must identify yourselves as Starfleet personnel if asked directly. Please tell Mr. Thalen what civilian clothes from your quarters you'd like to have beamed down. Anything else, Lieutenant?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Nov 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yes, I was thinking it might be beneficial to track down and speak to former employees and guests, away from the spores." Collins tells Singh "They'd probably feel freer to talk than anyone. Ensigns Mahmoud and Terezis would be good for that."

Once she and the Captain finish speaking, and Singh puts Thalen on the line, she'll pass her communicator around the room for everyone to give their choices. For herself, her blue yoga pants and a black tunic will do fine.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thalen is unaccustomed to taking clothing requests via subspace radio, but does so with good humor. In a few minutes the landing party's requested civilian clothing is beamed down to the conference room.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah knows she has nothing she'd want to wear for an evening's outing at a luxury resort, and plans to purchase a dress at one of the gift shops. However, just in case she'll need something for tomorrow as well, she requests her pale blue-green dress. With open shoulders but elbow-length sleeves and a skirt falling to her knees, it is as modest as Elasian day wear goes--and will be appropriate for walking in the hot sun, if necessary. She also requests the bronze sandals that can be found beneath it in her closet.

When the clothing is beamed down, Kylah looks at the dress critically and is satisfied with her choice. Privately, she muses how strange it was telling her superior about her outfit--and wonders who ended up having to go through her closet to pick the outfit, if indeed that's how the dress and shoes were gathered.

yes it's fugly but I was looking for something similar to the costumes from Elaan of Troyius. Heck for Elasians this is probably what a nun would wear!
    Last edited by choie; 17 Nov 2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: to reflect Thalen having beamed the stuff down already

Closed thread