Closed thread
Page 13 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The older lady tells Rangin, a little puzzledly, "I think it's back the way you came, then take a right...?" She turns and looks at the man.

"No, a left," the man says. "I'm pretty sure. Back that way, then two lefts, and then straight ahead. You can't miss it."

The housekeeper shrugs in response to Graham's question. "It's a job. I've had worse."

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Have you ever noticed anything unusual? Any of the guests complaining?" Collins inquires.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var's smile becomes a slight frown. "Thank you for your assistance," she tells the older couple. "I am sure we will find our way."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah gives the stranger one of her rare smiles. "There is no trouble at all! We are just here to visit and look at the many services the spa provides. Even Starfleet officers have vacations in-between missions, and it is possible this resort might be considered a beneficial place to offer a shore leave." She has no problem with the half-truth--after all, she isn't really lying; it's also possible that the resort is not being considered.

Stepping a little closer to the man, Kylah looks down the hall with pleasant curiosity and then back to him. "Would you mind telling me how your stay has been so far? Can you recommend any amenities in particular?" Kylah smiles again, glancing down shyly. "Other than the pool, which I will do my best to try thanks to your suggestion."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The housekeeper says, "No, nothing unusual, and everyone I've dealt with has been really happy. People love it here. You know, now and then they want another towel or their sonic shower isn't quite tuned right or things like that, but not really complaining, I'd say. For as much money as they're paying, people want everything to be perfect here, and that's what we try to provide."

The swimmer smiles and says, "I've had a great time, and I feel great, too! The pool, the spa, the food, the rooms, sports - everything. Just about whatever you want to do, miss, you'll be able to. I only wish I'd come here sooner."

Registered
    Mar 2012

After nodding to Delaney as if the swimmer has confirmed her greatest hopes, Kylah returns her attention to him again. "Thank you very much, sir, you have been most helpful. Oh! I almost forgot to ask. I have heard marvelous things about the spore therapy here. Have you had a chance to try it yourself?"

Throughout the conversation, Kylah takes a light measure of the man's emotions. She expects he is sincere and will likely be as cheerful on the inside as he seems to her, especially if he has taken advantage of the spores himself. Still, better safe than sorry...

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

"Anybody, you know, who may...not complain too much, if you know what I mean?" Graham asks. "These spores and all..." he gestures as if there were spores or pollen floating all around them. "Any folks who have been around a long time, or seem a little out of it?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Indeed, and many thanks." Rangin responds to the couple trying to work out if he recognises them at all. Then Rangin turns to Dr T'var and gestures in the direction they have been told to go. "Please, after you."
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var starts walking.

"I find it a bit disconcerting that everyone is so upbeat and happy." The doctor sighs. "Most disconcerting."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Really, why is it so hard to think that people would be happy and relaxed in a resort which is dedicated solely to making you happy and relaxed," says Rangin walking alongside.

"Excuse me for asking Sir, but are pleasure and happiness really that unknown to Vulcans, or just concepts that you prefer not to experience."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I am concerned that the happiness and pleasure found here is induced by these spores," T'Var replies. "I have nothing against a natural feeling of enjoyment, however."

T'Var continues walking. "I believe in balance, Mr. Rangin. Too much of anything may not always be good for us."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"So its purely the spores here that make you uncertain. What if the spores were just a placebo, and people were happy because they wanted to happy. What then?" inquires Rangin before continuing.

"I've never really believed in balance. A bumpy life is far more interesting than a smooth one." Rangin stops speaking for a moment as they keep walking, before asking again. "So what does make a Vulcan happy then?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var can't help but allow herself a slight grin. She likes Rangin and his unique way of looking at things.

"Balance, Mr. Rangin," T'Var says. "Balance makes us very happy."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin doesn't respond immediately to Dr T'Var as they walk along and is too busy staring ahead and failing badly to scrub the image now in his head. The image of Dr T'Var perched in a yoga like position on top of a tennis court post with a serene smile and indifferent to the game going on at the same time.

He smiles at the internal thought, before responding "Well, let's hope the rest of this mission remains balanced. "

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Oh, yeah, I got zapped by the spores," the swimmer says, grinning. "Why come out all this way if you're not going to, huh? OC3 isn't exactly right next door to anywhere. With the spores, you know, it was kind of weird at first, but then it leaves you feeling so relaxed and at peace. It's just... an amazing feeling. Have you tried it? You should. I've never felt better." The man seems entirely sincere to Kylah.

The housekeeper frowns at Graham's question. "No, nothing like that. Why?"

T'Var and Rangin keep walking and soon find themselves back in the spacious, welcoming main lobby.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"We have only just arrived here this morning," Kylah says to the swimmer, again glancing back briefly at Delaney to include him. "So I have not had a chance yet to experience this treatment. It does sound wonderful," she adds, somewhat wistfully. Again she finds the thought of being at peace tempting. Elasians weren't among the races described as being unable to react to the spores... but again, Kylah knows they are not here to ingest not-fully-researched substances.

"I admit I am a little nervous about the process. What do you mean that it was weird, at first? What exactly is it like, getting--zapped, as you say? Is one treatment enough to last your entire stay?" She tilts her head, examining the stranger. "How long is your stay, by the way?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Zapped, introduced, breathing them in, you know," he says. "All the same thing. One treatment will last you as long as it has to, I guess - I'm no expert. And I'm supposed to stay another month, but you know what? I just might extend it. I love this place."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shrugs good-naturedly. "Oh, maybe I'm too skeptical for my own good. It just seems like something that automatically makes you happy, with no side effects sounds too good to be true...you haven't seen anybody forgetful, or absent-minded or confused, or anything else like that?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

When Kylah hears the swimmer's casual comment about staying on at the resort "another month," her mind immediately snaps into sharper focus. And there we are, she thinks, a flicker of anger warming her as she remembers Wilson's dismissal of her concerns about addiction. What could be better than a resort with a treatment that basically creates permanent--and permanently paying--guests?

"Your vacations are months long? I envy you," she says, giving him a conspiratorial look. "Our leaves are rarely longer than two or three days. But that is the price one pays for wearing the uniform. And of course, I have family and friends I would miss greatly." The lies are bittersweet but she manages to make them sound sincere. "You must be less encumbered by such obligations than I. Unless, of course, you are here with family? Or...are you here alone?" Kylah lowers her voice playfully, and hopes this sounds simply like a woman flirting. Her real aim is to see whether reminding this man of others--if indeed he does have a family or responsibilities left behind--might make him question the desire to stay.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Tiburonian housekeeper says, "No, not that I remember. Most people just are really relaxed and easy-going... mellow, you know?"

The swimmer says with a smug smile, "Well, miss, without bragging, let me just say that money isn't a concern for me, and I don't have a family either here with me, or that I need to get back to. Say, when do you get off-duty, anyway? Maybe I could show you around."

Registered
    May 2013

"Maybe that's my problem," Graham says. "I'm just not a mellow guy by nature. Anybody we should talk to to find out more about how great this place is--maybe some folks who've been here the longest? Do you know of any 'long-timers?'"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah hesitates for a moment. "That is a very kind offer," she says, thinking quickly. They have no direct orders or strict agenda that she knows about. Perhaps going on a tour with a guest would be an entirely different experience from snooping around in Starfleet pairs. "I am not certain of my schedule, and I'll have to check in with my superior first. But I would be very interested. I think it might be a good idea," she says with a look at Delaney. "Do you not agree, sir? Perhaps I might see a whole new side of the resort, which could only be beneficial to our mission of seeing if this is a good destination spot for officers on leave."

She suddenly returns her gaze to the stranger. "How may I get in touch with you later once I've confirmed when I will have free time? I just realized I never introduced myself or my colleague--and I do not know your name either. This is Lieutenant JG Delaney, and I am Ensign Kylah--or just Kylah, to my friends." With another small smile she continues: "And I am very happy to meet you, Mr...?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The housekeeper says, "Sorry, but I can't talk to you about any guests in particular. We try to protect their privacy. But talk to any of them you like, if they're willing."

Delaney is bemused. "That sounds fine to me, Ensign, assuming Lt. JG Collins approves."

"I'm Jan Švehla," the swimmer says, shaking the Elasian officer's hand, "of Prague. My pleasure, Kylah." He shakes Delaney's hand, too, almost as an afterthought; the engineer doesn't seem to mind.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah promises to be in touch later today. She starts to have a bit of deja vu--after all, in the last couple of days she's hardly had the best luck in making appointments with strangers. Of course, there's no sense of hostility from Jan Švehla--this is a completely different situation.

Before she leaves with Delaney, she asks Švehla: "What is your room number? Or may I just ask for you at the front desk?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I'm in Room 237," Švehla says, "but you can reach me through any comm terminal." He smiles and walks away.

A WR&R staffer notices T'Var and Rangin in the lobby and walks over. "May I help you?" she asks.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is glad of the opportunity to stop playing her role. She drops the smile and turns to Delaney. "I hope I was not too forward, sir. I thought that going to the various amenities as his guest might be a chance to view the spa in an entirely different way. And he seemed willing to discuss his experience with the spores with me. As someone who's been here at least one month, he might also know about other guests as well."

She hesitates. "Of course it will depend on Lieutenant Collins's approval. What do you think she might say?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Certainly, " responds Rangin to the helpful staffer, "we were just checking on Vice Admiral Hardin. We came down with him and we just want to make sure everything is fine. I believe he is going through his induction at this moment in time. The good Doctor here", Rangin glances at Dr T'Var and then back to the assistant, "is interested in the practicalities of the process and the medical effects continuing thereof."

He pauses for a breath, "Could you provide us with the directions to the correct area, please?"

Rangin is not lying at all, everything said is quite sincere and he hopes that the staff will be used to being as helpful as possible to everyone.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Okay, well, thank you for your time. We won't keep you." Collins tells the housekeeper. To Graham, she says "Let's find one of the common areas and see if any of the guests will talk to us."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney laughs. "I have no idea what Collins will say - but you'll certainly get points for, um, assertiveness."

The staffer tells Rangin, "We call it 'introduction,' sir, if you're speaking about exposure to the spores.* I can't discuss individual guests, but if you'll have a seat, I'll see that you're taken to the introduction area shortly." She gestures to a nearby overstuffed couch under a leafy potted palm.

The housekeeper says, "Glad to help," and turns back to his sheets.

* See post 532.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Raising an eyebrow, Kylah murmurs dryly, "I fear those points may be deducted rather than added. Perhaps it will depend on whether anyone else has been able to contact any guests."

She mulls Delaney's words over. She hopes she was not too assertive.

"I suppose we should continue on to the gym or pool area. Although I fear we will continue to raise alarm by walking around while looking so obviously out of place." She hesitates. "Or perhaps we should return to the room where Mr. Wilson expects to find us. I am curious to know how he will react upon finding us all dispersed."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I wondered that myself," Delaney says. "But sure, let's take a look at the pool."

The two walk down the hallway, passing several smiling guests on the way, and finally end up in the pool area. The pool is Olympic-sized and appears clean and well-maintained. About two dozen people are swimming or relaxing around it; several serving staff move about, bearing drinks, snacks, towels and the like. The pool is roofed over but unwalled, so one can see out to the manicured grounds and the countryside farther beyond. A patio extends further outside, but no one is in any of the brightly-sunlit chairs or couches there at the moment.

A young Latino man in a swimsuit emblazoned with the WR&R logo walks over. "Hi!" he says. "Starfleet, right? I'm Pete Alvarez, one of the lifeguards. Can I help you folks?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Nov 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah hesitates before deciding that Delaney probably still wants her to take the lead. "Good afternoon, Mr. Alvarez. No, thank you. We are just admiring your resort. I must say this is a beautiful pool, especially the view. It seems a perfect day." She looks around at the guests and then back at Alvarez. "I am surprised no one is taking advantage of the weather by sitting outside. Do most people prefer to swim rather than sunbathe?"

Registered
    May 2013

"Sure thing, boss. Which way?" Graham says to Collins. "I wouldn't mind tracking down the Admiral at some point too. Um..." he hesitates. "And maybe finding a gift shop." Immediately he regrets saying this.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins looks at Graham with a raised eyebrow, then she smiles and says in a playfully pouty voice, "Sure, we can get you a souvenir. Would you like a key chain or a stuffed animal?" She starts walking back towards the conference room they started in. "Let's retrace our steps. I'll bet Wilson didn't even notice we slipped out."
    Last edited by anyrose; 01 Nov 2013 at 08:28 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's momentarily embarrassed, then a little pissed off...then he grunts and smiles. Collins seems all right, he thinks. "Heh. Maybe a stuffed dog. I like dogs," he says, following behind her.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The lifeguard says, "Oh, most people come here to swim, but you'll see folks out there pretty often. Don't know why they're not at the moment. Even after they get zapped by the spores, though, some of the guests just don't want to be out in direct sunlight much, if they can avoid it."

Collins and Graham have not gone far before they are found by another WR&R staffer in the hallway. He looks very serious. "Lt. Collins and Ens. ...Graham, is it? Mr. Wilson has been looking for you. Please follow me."

The staffer in the main lobby steps a short distance away from T'Var and Rangin and begins speaking into a small, slim, tubular comm unit. T'Var's keen Vulcan ears hear her saying, "There are two of them here in the main lobby, sir... No, I'm sorry, I didn't ask." She turns. "Uh, a Vulcan woman and a Coridanite male, both in blue shirts... Yes, sir... Yes... Of course, sir. Right away. Gordon out."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Nov 2013 at 11:43 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah smiles and gingerly touches her cheek. "Perhaps they're just worried about aging. I suppose it would be silly to go to a spa and do something potentially harmful to your complexion. I avoid sunlight much of the time too." She thanks the lifeguard and looks for an empty seat near a guest. When she finds one she'll sit and take the opportunity to start a conversation.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"We must be careful in what we say and do," T'Var whispers to Rangin. "Notice everything. Ask questions that will not be considered confrontational. The more we learn, the better."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah sits beside a swimsuited Tellarite female who is lying on a poolside chaise lounge, apparently very relaxed. Kylah has never seen a Tellarite female before other than Ebling, and never one who is relatively unclothed. The woman is short and quite hairy. She sees and nods at Kylah.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Good afternoon," Kylah says pleasantly, leaning back in a relaxing position and crossing her legs--something she has to do rather carefully to avoid revealing the knife strapped to her upper thigh. "My name is Kylah, I have just arrived." She turns and raises a hand, hoping to call over one of the attendants for a drink. If/when the attendant arrives, Kylah orders a spring water with some sort of fruit infusion. After a moment she turns back to the Tellarite with a somewhat yearning expression. "You look as content as I hope to feel by the end of my time here--or sooner, if at all possible. May I ask how long you have been here, and how long you are staying?"
    Last edited by choie; 02 Nov 2013 at 08:50 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham glances briefly at Collins. Not yet moving, he asks the staffer "Anything wrong, mister...?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"We were just stretching our legs a bit" Collins, also not moving, tells the staffer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Mr. Wilson asked me to bring you back to Conference Room 1," the staffer tells Collins and Graham. "I am Mr. D'Angelo. Will you follow me, please?"

The staffer in the main lobby comes back and says to T'Var and Rangin, "I've been asked to escort you both to Conference Room 1. Please follow me."

The Tellarite woman says with a surprisingly deep and raspy voice, "My name is Gren. I've just been here a week, and will be staying another two weeks. What is Starfleet doing here?"

A server walks over to Kylah and takes her order; Delaney declines to order. The server says, "A spring water with a fruit infusion. Very good, ma'am. Are you a guest of the resort, or how would you like to pay for your drink?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

"I'll pay with my credits, thank you," Kylah says easily, and makes the appropriate transfer*. She accepts the drink and turns back to Gren, toying with the drink's mixing straw. "We are evaluating the resort's many services; it is possible this resort might be considered a beneficial place to offer a shore leave." No sense in changing horses midstream when the lie worked so well before. "Considering the positive responses I've heard so far, Risa may have a tough competitor on its hands. It seems many people are so happy here they extend their stay--that certain speaks volumes about the resort's quality. Personally if I had shore leave right now I would be loath to leave..." She sighs and looks at the view of the expansive pool and beautiful grounds outside. "Would you consider staying here longer yourself?"

* However the heck one does that, I guess via tricorder or some other electronic transfer?

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Thank you," replies Rangin as he stands up and waits for Dr T'Var.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var stands as well. "Lead on," she tells the staffer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    ...However the heck one does that, I guess via tricorder or some other electronic transfer?
    See post 70 in this thread, and posts 961-962 in the setup thread.

The server presents a checkpad, which Kylah thumbs, deducting 6.3 Federation credits from her shipboard account. She takes a sip of her drink; it's quite tasty.

Gren nods and says, "I like it here very much. The spores have a particularly good effect on me; it's like some other side of paradise." Kylah remembers that Dr. Anderson started to say something about the spores' effects on Tellarites, but caught herself. Gren continues, "I wouldn't mind extending my stay, of course, but I can't afford it, and have to get back to work anyway."

Miss Gordon, the WR&R staffer, leads T'Var and Rangin down several well-appointed hallways. They pass several smiling guests on the way.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah gives an understanding nod to Gren even as her mind works quickly. She doesn't believe that this isn't an addition, no matter what Wilson tried to tell them, but Gren's ability to keep a sense of proportion intrigues her. Palver said Tellarites are particularly affected by the pleasure quotient, but Anderson was about to qualify that in some way. What might she have said? Are Tellarites able to avoid getting addicted? Or perhaps it takes longer?

"Yes, that is the bitter truth," she says with a joking air. "Responsibilities and financial realities beckon most of us home from vacations, even if it means parting from Paradise." Kylah's gaze meanders across the pool area to examine the other guests. "So many here seem able to ignore such restrictions. One wonders how they manage it. Or perhaps they lack them in the first place. Of course if Starfleet does indeed recommend this as a shore leave destination, that would not be a problem for our officers. Unless someone were so enamored of the resort that they gave up their commission!" She chuckles, ostensibly at the absurdity of the idea. "If you do not mind my asking, what have been your favorite things to do here?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Gren says, "Didn't the crew of the Enterprise all desert when they were exposed to the spores? Or was it everyone but a few? I heard something about that. I suppose it might be different if you didn't understand what was happening to you, if the spores' influence seemed open-ended and you lost all sense of responsibility. That's never been a problem for me." She thinks a moment. "I guess I like the mud baths the best - not unusual for my people, you know. But just being here by the pool is nice, too. And the staff is so helpful."

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Ah yes, the original incidents with the spores. Of course, with one or two exceptions, most of the colonists and Starfeet officers affected were humans." Kylah leans toward the Tellarite conspiratorially and lowers her voice as if she doesn't want Delaney to hear. "I believe they are more susceptible to the deleterious effects, what few there are," she murmurs . "And as you rightly say, it was very different then--so little was known about the spores at the time. No rules, no regulations on how the spores were introduced... The resort is entirely different, wouldn't you say? Far more responsible. You must have received plenty of instructions and information prior to visiting, I imagine? Our own tour guide told us about designating powers of attorney and legal requirements and who knows what else..." She shakes her head, indicating how overwhelmed she is by such things. "Did you really have to go through all that?"
    Last edited by choie; 05 Nov 2013 at 12:24 AM.

Closed thread