Closed thread
Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Freaking great, Graham thinks. A 50-50 shot and I'm such the lucky guy.

Graham stretches, loosens up, and goes right. Hey, I'm just out for a stroll, a casual observer...'golly gee, I'll say, quite the place,' I'll say if anyone wonders what I'm doing.... Or, if necessary, I'll stun them.
    Last edited by general_urko; 24 Oct 2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Added the word 'freaking.' Because that's what Graham would think,

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham goes right, rounds the corner and sees that the empty corridor goes straight about 50 meters before ending at another pair of doors. Three doors are also on each wall, right and left, going down the hallway. They are numbered but not labeled.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin bites down on his curiosity to see what else is in the hotel and seeing Graham leave the room wonders how he will fare.

"So shall we wait here, or see what else is around in the hotel?"
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Let's look around, see if any guests will talk to us." Collins decides. "Go in pairs. I'll back Graham up."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"What pairs would you like, ma'am?" Delaney asks.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"You go with Kylah," Collins tells Delaney. "Rangin with T'Var."

Registered
    Feb 2009

There's a brief glance from Rangin to Kylah just before Collins announces the pairs and he has a slight feeling of regret. There is nothing wrong with Dr T'Var but walking around a six star hotel with Kylah could have been fun. Then again, he would have expected to go with Delaney instead with Kylah and Dr T'var being the other pair.

Collins probably has her reasons and Rangin shrugs, considering that there will be probably be more opportunities anyway.

"Doctor, shall we?", Rangin politely asks the Vulcan.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is glad to have the opportunity to look around the resort without the supervision of their hosts, but wonders if disappearing behind Wilson's back is the best plan. Still, her interest is piqued when they are to search in pairs--and quickly dies down a bit when Delaney is chosen as her partner. T'Var would have been her second ideal choice; showing the doctor how hard she's trying to be a credit to the Yorktown instead of a liability--T'Var's word--would have been rewarding.

The irony is that a team-up with Delaney might have been her first preference when she joined the ship. Smart, attractive, extremely capable... He was the object of a very brief crush when Kylah met him. Of course now it's Rangin whom she'd rather have as a partner walking around the resort, even just as a work assignment. She's almost certain he does not return her warm feelings, but Kylah has not had so many friends that she disdains the idea of Rangin considering her one himself. Still, she's too proud to look at Rangin with any sense of disappointment. She imagines he's perfectly happy working with T'Var.

So Kylah just moves to Delaney's side and nods at him. He's still as attractive as ever and she tries not to stare at his face too long. All she says is, "Where should we go first, sir?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins nods to her team then sets off to join Graham.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shakes his head. I'll feel like a chump going back and admitting I lost him, he thinks but I'll be an even bigger chump if Wilson wanders back in to the room the team is in while I'm out wandering around. He turns and retraces his steps.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham finds his way back to the conference room without difficulty. The other five members of the Yorktown landing party are just coming out the door themselves. Which way will they go?

Registered
    Mar 2012

As the junior officer, Kylah waits for Delaney to make his decision about which way to go. She does suggest that they find out what room the Admiral has been assigned. It seems only natural for them as Starfleet officers to be told the location of their charge.

She privately hopes to try to find Wilson as well, if possible, and wonders if she might be able to sense any difference in emotions displayed within the rooms. If she senses someone who is distressed or upset--in other words, not in the peaceful spore-like state--this may well be the troublesome client.

Registered
    May 2013

"Sorry L-T," Graham says to Collins. "Wilson was out of sight when I left the room, no sign of which way he went." He takes note of the whole group and says with obviously exaggerated enthusiasm, "Does this mean the plan has changed and we're all going to go get Tellurian touch therapy?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Well I was going to suggest Dr T'Var and I find the medical wing and see what we can find", says Rangin, "after all. It's not like they have anything to hide."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Good," Collins nods, "You do that, while Delaney and Kylah try to find some folks to talk to." To Graham, she says, "Let's go snooping." and winks at him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins asks Graham "Which way did you look? We'll go the other way."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham gestures, and he and Collins then go left. After rounding the corner, the corridor opens up and the ceiling is higher. Valuable-looking spotlight-lit landscape paintings, perhaps from Earth, line the walls; it seems to be a gallery of sorts. There are no doors where they stand, but several dozen meters along there are four doors along the right wall, each about five meters apart. They are labeled "Conference Room 4" through "Conference Room 7."

Delaney and Kylah go right, as do Rangin and Dr. T'Var. After rounding the corner, they see the same long corridor Graham did before returning.

No one else is in either corridor.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"Well, Mr. Rangin," T'Var says, "shall we see if our hosts actually do have something to hide?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah walks slowly toward the doors on the left and then the right, touching her fingertips to the walls nearest the doors. Her empathic abilities are sometimes assisted by tactile methods, although it's certainly a long shot. Worse, she's trying to concentrate on any inhabitants' emotions without looking as if that's what she's doing. Not an easy task--and not, she expects, likely to be fruitful. But it's better than nothing.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Certainly, the only question being which way is the medical wing." replies Rangin.

He turns to Delaney and Kylah, "Good luck, hope you find something of interest."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah gets no empathic sense from behind any of the doors. Delaney, looking at her curiously, asks, "What are you doing?"

Rangin and Dr. T'Var go on to the end of the hall. Do they pass through the door there?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah shrugs. "I thought perhaps if the problem customer had resulted in raised voices, I might be able to hear it. My hearing is very acute." She turns to Delaney and changes the subject quickly. "Perhaps going to these private areas is not useful. There must be many public amenities in a spa. Should we try to find them and talk with guests there?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin doesn't even hesitate in reaching for the door handle as if he was supposed to be going through the door.

"Shall we," says Rangin as he holds the door open for Dr T'Var.

Registered
    Sep 2009

There's no door handle; the door slides open as Rangin and T'Var get closer, just as on the Yorktown. They find themselves in a long hallway, perpendicular to the one they just came from; it stretches to their right and left. There are signs indicating that the main lobby and check-in are to their right, while the gym, pool and fitness center are to their left. Doors are along both sides of the walls at regular intervals in either direction, numbered but not otherwise labeled.

Registered
    May 2013

"Conference rooms," Graham says quietly. "I remember investigating a protection racket once. Bastards called the rooms they took folks who hadn't paid up 'conference rooms,' except there was a lot more hitting than talking going on once the 'meeting' started." He shrugs. "Probably not like that here, but your call if you think we should pop our heads in a couple, L-T."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"We can always say 'oops wrong room'." Collins tells Graham. "Let's have a look." She opens the door nearest her.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Hmm," says Rangin looking around. "I would guess that each of the rooms would be private rooms for each of the guests. Shame it doesn't say where the medical area is, but its probably not going to be obvious."

Rangin looks back at Dr T'Var. "Well we could either go and ask at the front desk, you are a doctor after all, or we can just go and look at the guests working out. Chances are they will have some medical staff there we can talk to. Assuming that anyone is compos mentis enough to do anything other than be blissed out."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins opens the door to Conference Room 4. It is very similar to the room they just came from, but decorated with glowing Altairan light-sculptures instead. It is otherwise empty.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins closes the door and says to Graham "Your turn."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham pauses for a moment to listen at the next door. "And this''ll be the one where they are holding the annual convocation of Klingon warriors with pet killer Denebian Slime Devils," he says quietly.

If he hears nothing, he opens it.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah follows Rangin and T'Var through the door to the next corridor, peeking out as well. "If you do go to the front desk," she says to them, "you might request the Admiral's room number, or, if they will not release it to you, ask to have him contact us as soon as possible. I think it is essential that we know where he is, for security purposes."

Looking down the other end of the corridor, she spies the workout rooms and then turns back to Delaney. "Sir, the public areas are in this direction. Do you wish to speak to the guests who might be there?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham faintly hears someone talking inside Conference Room 5. He can't make out what's being said; it sounds like a male voice, and the cadence is that of Federation Standard or something similar to it.

Delaney says to Kylah, "Makes sense to me. Let's go."

The two have walked less than two minutes when they come upon a young human woman in WR&R staff uniform coming from the other direction. She holds a datapad in one hand and does a double take when she sees them, but immediately puts a smile on her face. She says, "Good morning. May I help you?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 29 Oct 2013 at 12:40 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah wonders why the woman seems so surprised. Were the staff members not told of the Starfleet's visit?

She hesitates, waiting for Delaney to respond. He seems very reticent for a more senior officer; she remembers him being far more talkative when they first met. Indeed, he almost tripped over his tongue in his enthusiasm. Perhaps the Sakathian mission has changed him, too.

Feeling some sympathy, she glances at him, tacitly asking if he wishes her to do the talking.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Well as Mr Delaney and Mr Kylah have gone that way, shall we head to the front desk then?" asks Rangin.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham tilts his head to suggest they move on. "Maybe we should find some public areas where we can talk to folks without barging in on a meeting?" he asks Collins.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Sure," Collins answers, "Let's go." She looks around to see which is the way to the common areas.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"The front desk would be the logical place to being our exploration," T'Var says. "Perhaps they have a map of some kind we could follow."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Front desk it is - besides they have already seen us walk in with the Director so they shouldn't have any problems helping us out." replies Rangin as he starts to walk in that direction.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney says, "No, thanks. We're just looking around." The young WR&R staffer seems a little puzzled, but nods and goes on her way.

As Rangin and Dr. T'Var walk down the hall, they see an older human couple approaching them. The couple are in athletic clothes and carrying tennis racquets.

Collins and Graham go further down the hall, which turns to the right. There are another six doors to both the right and left, all numbered. An emergency exit is at the end of the hall. A Tiburonian housekeeper is stacking sheets and blankets on an antigrav cart a few doors down. He looks surprised. "Oh... hello! May I help you?" he asks.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 29 Oct 2013 at 01:11 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah nods at Delaney's efficient dismissal of the employee, and walks with him to the gym. "To be honest, I do not know exactly what information we should be seeking from these guests," she says in a low voice. "I find the use of the spores troublesome and find it strange that the Federation is allowing an entity reap financial rewards from something even Starfleet does not seem to consider safe enough to use on the general public. But what can we learn from the guests themselves? I almost wish we had been sent in an undercover capacity. We would likely have learned more under the guise of a guest than as outsiders."

She shrugs. There's no point in wishing for something that can no longer be rectified. "Do you have any suggestions on what we might ask these people, sir?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"We're just having a look around." Collins tells the Tiburonian. "May I ask you a question or two?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Delaney smiles. "I'm just an engineer; you're the Communications officer. Whatever you think best. I'll let you take the lead." Kylah sees that a human in a wet swimsuit with a towel draped over his shoulders is now walking down the hall towards them; he appears to be in his mid-thirties and is in very good physical condition; Kylah thinks he's quite attractive.

The housekeeper shrugs and says to Collins, "Certainly. It'd be nice to take a break."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins pulls on all those mysteries and detective novels she's read. "Have you worked here long? What do you think of the place?

Registered
    May 2013

Graham smiles a little: good questions, although he's not really sure if Collins enjoys this aspect of the job as much as he does. "Getting out and talking to people" sure beats being cooped up in some lab solving physics problems, as far as I'm concerned, he thinks. Not that I would know how to solve physics problems. While Collins chats up the housekeeper, Graham listens while looking around and tries to look friendly, yet just slightly menacing.

A thought occurs to him: they msy they have a gift shop. I wonder if Cecilia would like some kind of...something. He wonders who he could ask for advice on what to buy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Greetings", acknowledges Rangin as they approach the couple. "lovely day isn't it."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah does her best to put on a friendly, not-entirely-innocent demeanor--she does so by channeling her young sister, who's never met a male she doesn't treat like a fascinating new toy to play with.

"Hello there," she says, bestowing a bright, attentive gaze on the stranger. "It seems you have found the pool. How was it?" Kylah looks with playful longing at the water dripping from his damp body. "I wish I had time to sample it myself. It would be delightful to get out of this uniform. Are you enjoying yourself?"
    Last edited by choie; 30 Oct 2013 at 06:19 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The housekeeper says, "I've been working here for four months... no, five now. It's all right, I guess."

The older couple with tennis racquets nods and smiles. The woman says, "Good morning." They keep walking as if to pass Rangin and Dr. T'Var.

The swimmer says in a vaguely Eastern European accent, "It's a good pool. The water's just right. If you get the chance to take a swim, I'd recommend it. I love this place!" He rubs one ear with his towel. "What's Starfleet doing here? Is there any trouble?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Terribly sorry to ask, but you could you please point us in the direction of the induction area?", Rangin asks politely with a smile, "we appear to have mislaid ourselves."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham tilts his head, expressing interest. "I suppose some folks might think this is like working in paradise...but you seem a little hesitant," he asks, sympathetically. "How come?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var smiles at the older couple while awaiting their reply.

Closed thread