Closed thread
Page 10 of 82 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin picks up his phaser and tricorder and wonders why he would need the weapon on what is supposedly a Federation planet, with a research station and spa. Then again, after last time, better safe than sorry. He catches the smile from Kylah, noting her change in demeanour from nervous to excited and responds with an equally cheerful smile.

When he beams down he looks round at the scenery drinking in the view. While they are being greeted, he will look for signs and listen around for any animals in the area. He wonders if any will be there, or if the planet will still be as devoid of animal life as it always was.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var looks about her slowly. The bright sun makes her feel right at home. As a Vulcan, she can truly appreciate the prospect of exploring an environment with grass, trees and a lake. T'Var is eager to explore and learn more about this place.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin knows that it's standard Starfleet operating procedure for landing party members to each carry communicators and phaser-1s, just in case, and for Science personnel to also carry tricorders, regardless of how safe or well-understood a planet is thought to be. The xenobiologist sees and hears no animal life of any kind.

Lt. Palver smiles, introduces himself to Lt. JG Collins, shakes hands and says, "Welcome to OC3. This is Anthony Wilson, director of the WR&R resort, and his deputy, Mattie Hsu. I invited him - them - to join us." Wilson is a short, sleek man of indeterminate age with a slightly bored-with-it-all air. Collins instantly dislikes him. Hsu is an older Asian woman with red hair cut very short; she carries a datapad. Both Wilson and Hsu wear stylized "W" silver-and-green pins on their dark civilian tunics.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 16 Oct 2013 at 11:10 AM.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Good to meet you," Collins shakes hand with Hsu first, then Wilson. She resists the urge to wipe her hand on her trousers afterward. "I would like to see your books for the last twelve months, plus any communcations you've received from your guests." Best way to see how they're doing is to hear from the customers.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The sun makes Kylah squint a bit, and she shades her eyes. What she can see of the planet looks lush and attractive. And such a blue sky! She has a childlike impulse to kick off her boots and run through the grass in her bare feet. A pity that the beauty is actually hiding a toxic atmosphere that would harm them if not for the anti-radiation boosters. So much that is beautiful is a mere illusion, she thinks.

Naturally she remains silent when the men and woman arrive and introduce themselves, just nodding a polite greeting in response to their own. When Collins's first words amount to "Hello-I-demand-you-show-me-your-books," Kylah has to force herself not to grind her teeth; her hands are clasped behind her back, however, and they clench and unclench in annoyance. Does this woman have no knowledge of tact and diplomacy?

Kylah is far from the most diplomatic person in Starfleet, but she winces at the thought of putting these strangers on the defensive--just as they had the Sakathians. Why in the name of all the Tellun System would she not at least ask them to assist her, rather than making it an order? Are the words 'May I' and 'please' not in her vocabulary?

The Wrigley people are not ensigns or menials to be ordered about in such a manner--and besides, didn't Collins herself say she planned to start with the research station first, then look into the spa? Perhaps she should have spent last night memorizing her strategies instead of taking a twelve-hour nap.

Sighing, Kylah runs through how she would have opened such an interaction. Starting with pleasantries, remarking on the planet, the architecture, the reputation of the spa... Thanking them for their time... anything to grease the wheels somewhat.

Kylah takes a quick look at Rangin and Delaney. Do they feel as she does, or is her own distrust of Collins coloring her opinion of this opening salvo? But that is the very problem, Kylah thinks stubbornly. It should not be a salvo. We seek information, that is all!

She suddenly has to restrain herself from smirking at her own thoughts. If her late mother could hear that Kylah was judging anyone's ability to be tactful, she wouldn't believe her ears.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wilson blanches for a moment at Collins's statement but quickly hides it; Dr. T'Var notices Vice Adm. Hardin and Lt. Cmdr. Ebling exchange a glance. Wilson says smoothly, "Our financial records are certainly open to you and to Starfleet, Lieutenant, but communications to and from our guests are confidential as a matter of Federation law. If you'd like to have a summary or digest of such messages with identifiers removed, or wish us to seek permission from particular guests or categories of guests for their correspondence to be shared with Starfleet, I suppose we could do that. My goal, of course, is to give you a complete picture of our operations here."

Lt. Palver coughs. "If it would suit you, Mr. Collins, I thought I'd show you around the research station first, since we're already here, and then you could go on to the resort with Mr. Wilson and Mrs. Hsu afterwards. It's only about a ten-minute walk."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Thank you, Lieutenant," Collins says "We'll start with the research station. Mr. Wilson, please forgive my bluntness. Of course we respect your guests' right to privacy; a summary would be fine, for now. And yes, I would like to, later on, speak with any of your guests who are willing."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Thirty seconds. Just thirty seconds and already Rangin is beginning to wonder if he really wants to be on this away mission.

The planet has no animals, and though the others may not realise it, it feels barren to Rangin, as if something important was missing no matter how pretty the scenery.

And then Collins decides to turn them into the equivalent of Tax Officers coming to check the books out for irregularities. Could she be any more insulting either to her crewmates or to the people we were here to visit. He looks blankly at the horizon hoping for a glimpse of something rather than cringe at the case of foot-in-mouth that Collins seems to have developed. From distracted to forceful to brain-dead in about 16 hours. Not bad going for someone trying to wreck her career, whether she intended it or not.

The only good thing was that Dr T'Var was a Lt, and technically outranked Collins. Not to mention that as the medical staff on the trip, perhaps she could certify Collins as not fit to lead the mission. But then perhaps that was the point of it all...

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham is a little surprised Collins immediately asks to see accounting records, although relieved she says "I" rather than "we," as he would have no idea what to make of accounting records. He is interested in speaking with guests: if anything untoward that is within his skill set to detect is going on, that's the most likely way to do it. To make himself feel useful if nothing else, he makes sure he's positioned just off and back of the Admirals's right elbow, where he'd be best positioned to draw his weapon and step in front of the man, should it become necessary.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah can't miss the reactions of the Wrigley staffers and even the Comptroller himself to Collins's words, and of course she's not surprised. But she is, if she's being honest with herself, a bit pleased. Perhaps word will get back to the Captain about the other woman's bulldozer approach to leadership.

She is surprised, however, that Collins seems to have quickly adjusted herself. The mission commander's response was far more deferential and polite, thank goodness. Good job, Lieutenant, she thinks, and isn't even being sarcastic. Well. Not entirely.

Little prickles of perspiration are beading beneath her thick head of hair, and she feels as if she's been placed in an oven. I hope we will be out of this sun soon. Even with the shot, it cannot be safe to be so exposed.

The longer she stands here, the more she starts to notice the lack of any usual noises one might expect to hear on such a verdant planet: no insects whirring or buzzing, no birds or other flying creatures singing to one another overhead. It makes her feel odd, almost desolate. The humanoids and their buildings seem even more out of place and... alone.

She frowns and lowers her hand, eyeing the massive, silo-like building in front of them. Utterly unnatural in such surroundings. Kylah wonders if setting up a station here, much less an entire spa, was really a good idea. If animals cannot live here, perhaps we should not either...
    Last edited by choie; 16 Oct 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin waits patiently for the group to proceed onwards to the buildings and the science station. At least once he starts looking at any advances they have made he can focus on that.

He glances round at his colleagues to see what thoughts are crossing their faces while the group stands out in the open.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wilson says, "Thank you, Lieutenant" to Collins and nods at Hsu, who writes something on her datapad.

"This way, please," Lt. Palver says, leading you inside. He explains that the botanical and medical research labs occupy most of the building, while living quarters for the 22 Starfleet and civilian researchers are on the upper level. Everything appears new, clean and well-organized. Palver, who is a botanist, says that there are sensors at all entrances to detect if any of the spores are brought inside without authorization, and an alarm is triggered if so. The station's environmental controls are set to provide air throughout at a slight overpressure, so that any stray spores on the wind are kept out. Palver sounds enthused about his work: "We're trying to figure out how the spores function, and how to replicate, if we can, their healing and tranquilizing effect. We're also researching their applicability in cases involving mental illness and some exotic diseases that have resisted other treatments."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 29 Sep 2014 at 10:05 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins looks around appreciatively. It was really beyond her scope, but it appeared to her that this place was leaps and bounds ahead of the Sakathian station.
    Last edited by anyrose; 17 Oct 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The station is impressive on the inside, and Kylah is grateful for the safety measures. When Palver mentions the spores and their healing qualities, she thinks--as she did last night, during her research--of her own strange mental condition and whether it would count as something that might be cured.

But when he also mentions exotic illnesses, her thoughts immediately turn to the last victim of the Sakathian mission. Might Fujishiro be improved by the spores in some way? Kylah glances at T'Var and Rangin, trying to discern their thoughts. Surely they would have already thought of this as well.

She hesitates, then asks Lt. Palver, "Sir, this is an exciting enterprise. I am not a doctor, so forgive me if my questions are inappropriate, but may I ask, have you experimented with actual patients yet? What illnesses have shown improvement as a result of your research? And are the effects permanent, or must one have continual exposure to the spores in order to maintain one's health?"
    Last edited by choie; 17 Oct 2013 at 11:24 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lt. Palver says, "Why don't I introduce you to the head of our medical research staff here? She's the one to ask about that side of our work."

He leads you into a large lab and there you meet Dr. Lucy Anderson, a tall, freckled blonde woman in a Starfleet Medical blue uniform. She appears to be of late middle age, with a strong Australian accent and a warm smile. Ens. Kylah repeats her questions, and Dr. Anderson says, "Yes, we've experimented with actual patients quite a bit, and still are. Some of them are from the staff or are guests of the resort, as well as patients from offworld whose doctors have run out of other options. We screen them and have brought several dozen here - all volunteers, of course. Let's see... depending on the species, missing internal organs regenerate after a month or so of exposure to the Contentiflora omicron Kalomi or COK spores. We still don't know why, although we have some good leads that we're pursuing. Once organs grow back, they remain intact and viable. Many but not all diseases are healed by exposure - some entirely, but others only while the person remains under the influence of the spores. One of the big questions we're tackling is why there should be that distinction. We've had especially good results with heart and lung diseases, and some maladies of the endocrine system."

My thanks to the Straight Dope's Gfactor for his suggestion on naming the spore plant.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Oct 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is intrigued by what Dr. Anderson has accomplished. She will wait until she can speak to her privately before asking if they've done any work with addictions.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah finds this intriguing, and remembers her question from the mission briefing. She feels awkward considering her lack of medical knowledge, but her curiosity supercedes her reticence. "That is extremely encouraging, Dr. Anderson. And how do you counteract the spores' more deleterious effects? In the past people seemed to become addicted to them and needed to be emotionally jolted from the artificial... what should I call it... torpor and passivity that the spores induced. Have you found an alternative antidote?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin listens to the questions being asked and considers what is being said with what. He's impressed, Kylah appears to be asking all the right questions he would have asked. The general effects of the spores, what it has an effect on, how long it lasts, what other antidotes do they have.

Rangin whispers to Dr T'Var, "Do you think this could help Fujishiro?"

then to Dr Anderson, "Did you provide an antidote to the spores for use in the spa and, if possible, would we be able to look over the results from your tests?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The doctor nods in response to Kylah's question. "Yes, it's the surge of adrenaline that kills the spores and releases their control over the patient's emotional state. There are drugs which can trigger that, of course, or we can simply administer epinephrine via hypospray." She chuckles. "Both we and the resort have similar waiver forms for those who are subjected to the spores' effects. Our patients agree, when the time comes, that we may provoke or insult them, or even use mild physical force on them. A slap or two across the back of the hands is cheaper than a shot."

Wilson smiles. "Our guests agree to that, too, but we ask them upon check-in to name a scene in a play or vid that they found very moving - then, when their stay is almost over, we show it to them. Nine out of ten times, that does the trick."

Dr. Anderson answers Rangin's question. "Other than adrenaline, there's no antidote that we've found. We're working on a method for pre-exposure inoculation for the spores, and have several drugs that we're now testing. One, in particular, seems very promising. Right now it's classified, so I'm afraid I can't show you our test results."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Oct 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If Collins could raise one eyebrow, she would. "If I may ask, Mr Wilson, what you do for the 10 percent who don't respond?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Then we insult 'em and smack 'em around," he says, waggling his eyebrows.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins smiles.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I am not sure," T'Var replies to Rangin's question. "However, it does seem promising."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham would have bet money he'd be bored in a situation like this, but there's enough going on to keep a little adrenaline--speaking of adrenaline--running through his system. He's given himself the mission of making sure nothing happens to the Admiral, just to ensure he stays frosty, although it's getting to be difficult since the level of potential threat started out "minuscule" and appears to be decreasing by the minute. But the background on the spores is interesting enough, and he notes Kylah's composure and assertiveness: is there something about being onboard the ship in general that's a problem for her? he wonders. At that, he feels a little pang: the last time he saw his daughter, he snuck into the lecture hall at Harvard where she was teaching a class and sat in the back. He couldn't bring himself to speak to her, or tell her he was there: but there's something about the young woman here, now that reminds him of watching Elizabeth then.

I wonder what Lt. Bennett is doing now pops into his mind. He feels himself blush a little: he feels an uncharacteristically...what? Warm? Romantic? feeling.

He mentally chastises himself: dammit Booker, stay on focused on the job.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lt. Palver and Dr. Anderson take you around the station and show you several different labs, introducing you to the rest of the staff. Just about everyone seems bright, focused and glad to talk. Finally Palver says, "Well, that's the nickel tour. Any other questions? Otherwise, I'll turn you over to Mr. Wilson and Mrs. Hsu, and you can go see the resort. You're welcome to stay here at the station, by the way, unless you intend to beam back to the ship at night."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 29 Sep 2014 at 10:07 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If there is an opportunity to stay the night, perhaps wander round the area, watch the sun go down and generally relax off the ship, then Rangin is all for it. But it would depend on what Collins has in mind, as she is leading the team.

During the tour, Rangin makes the point to Dr T'var that she has the perfect authority to look at the tests and the results and see if they would be applicable. But, he does concede that gaining permission to carry out anything would be difficult. He just requests that she look at the possibility and seeing as the landing party does not have much time, its an opportunity that is easily lost.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Before they go to inspect the spa, Collins approaches Dr. Anderson and gently turns her so her back is to the group. Quietly, she asks "Have you done any work with the treatment of addictions? My," she pauses, "my father is an alcoholic who's been in and out of rehab his whole life."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah notices Collins talking privately to Dr. Anderson, which makes her curious but doesn't distract her from the questions she wishes to ask--although she would have expected Collins, Delaney or T'Var to raise the points. So be it. If they think of me as being presumptuous, I will have to live with that. They should have learned from our experiences last time.

"Your precautions against being accidentally exposed to the spores are laudable, sir," Kylah says to Palver. "But of course, things can always go wrong. We have recently been witness to a catastrophe where things turned chaotic very quickly," she adds darkly. "Do your protective measures have a backup system, should the electricity fail? Do you have emergency drills in place? Suits to protect against the spores, filtered oxygen, and so on? And if the worst occurs and you are all exposed to the spores, is there any... any automated system that might induce some sort of emotional or artificial adrenaline rush?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham edges closer to Kylah as he's interested in Palver's response to her question. Given what the OC3 folks have said so far, it seems like common sense to have a team on stand-by in a secure room with environmental suits. Something happens, run around punching people, he thinks with some amusement. This would require investment, but given the high-price of the spa facility it wouldn't be unreasonable for Starfleet to require that it maintain such a system as a condition of its license.
    Last edited by general_urko; 18 Oct 2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typos/minor corrections

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Anderson says to Collins, "I'm sorry about your father. We haven't really studied addictions here yet; we've been primarily focused on life-threatening and serious chronic conditions. It's something we hope to look into, though."

Palver replies to Kylah, "The research station is powered by a triply-redundant fusion generator, so a power failure is very unlikely. We have quarterly emergency drills for contamination, fire, enemy attack, and so on, and we do have standard hazmat suits available, although really all that's needed is a breathing mask and standard filter. The spores only work if they're inhaled deep into the lungs, and that's not the kind of thing that happens accidentally. That said, most people exposed to the spores exhibit a mild-to-serious compulsion - which we still haven't figured out on a psychological basis, although it makes very good evolutionary sense for the spores - to share them with others. During each watch, we have at least two people in the station's control room, which is very secure and has its own separate life support system. They could seal off any affected sections or people if the spores got loose in here, and deal with any breach of environmental integrity; it's never happened yet, knock on wood. We also check in weekly with Starbase 27 via subspace radio, and if we failed to do so, they'd come check on us. What else did you ask? Oh, yes. There's no automated system to induce emotional responses." He smiles. "Although... hmmm. That's an interesting idea, Ensign. I may raise that with our project engineer."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 18 Oct 2013 at 11:42 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Thank you, sir," Kylah says. "Your system sounds very efficient and well-planned. I hope you do not mind my asking. As I mentioned, on a recent misssion we met with some difficulties during an emergency situation." She gives a quick, meaningful glance at Rangin, then returns to look at Palver. "Your thoroughness would have been a great help if they were universally followed by researchers everywhere."

She pauses for a moment to think of anything else that piques her curiosity, and when looking at the two spa representatives the thought occurs to her. "Lt. Palver, other than the occasional volunteers you mentioned from the spa, is there any other interaction between the research station and the spa, or are they entirely separate entities?" Lowering her voice a bit, she adds, "And considering the lab's experience and vast knowledge of them, do you feel confident that the spa's use of the spores is as safe and responsible?"

After a hesitation she shakes her head for forgetting to ask: "Oh, forgive me, I meant to ask you--how far is Starbase 27 from here? How long would it take for them to reach you?"
    Last edited by choie; 18 Oct 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham finds Palver's response reasonable. But he's more intrigued by Kylah's continued line of questioning: she could be a good investigator, he thinks. But what the hell is going on onboard the ship to make her so much...less...confident? Less...what...herself?

He's troubled by her obvious glance at Rangin: Science Guy has seemed OK to him. But maybe I'm wrong, Graham thinks. Maybe I need to have a chat with him as well.

He reminds himself of his self-appointed position of looking our for Hardin. "Admiral," he says, turning toward Hardin. "Just checking sir...is there anything you need?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

When Kylah mentions about the recent mission, he nods in agreement and absent-mindedly scratches at the injuries inflicted, the reminder of what happened and considering he wound up in a coma because of it. A coma Fujishiro is still in.

Rangin hopes that Dr T'Var is at least going to have a look at the options. Consent and agreement may be difficult, but to not explore the option would be a dereliction of duty.

He listens to Kylah asking her questions, sensible questions based off the last mission. He's actually quite proud she has learned and is following up on it. All the bits and pieces that caught us out last time, she's trying to make sure they have covered.

A smile quirks onto his face as she continues and he continues to listen.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Palver says to Kylah, "We're in regular touch with the resort - the spa is just one part of it, by the way - and we help each other out from time to time. You know, if they need to borrow a cup of sugar or something. I've seen nothing to make me think that they're using the spores unsafely or irresponsibly, Ensign, although obviously they have a very different agenda than we do." He looks at her curiously. "The Yorktown just came from Starbase 27, didn't it?"

Vice Adm. Hardin smiles, pats Graham on the arm and says, "No, thanks, son. I'm just enjoying the tour and learning something new."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is pleased to hear about the research station's emergency protocols. No zombies this time. She smiles inwardly, then opens her communicator. "Collins to Yorktown. Captain Singh, with your permission, the landing party will bunk at the research station." She waits for a response.

Registered
    Sep 2009

After a few moments the response comes back, "Very well, Mr. Collins. Permission granted. I take it everything's going all right?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yes, ma'am. So far, so good." Collins answers.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah widens her eyes at Palver's question and then does her best to recover. It feels like weeks since they were at the Starbase instead of just days. "Of course you are correct, sir--I apologize, I have always been better at names than numbers. Though even there I have some lapses," she adds with another look, this one more playful, at Rangin. "Thank you very much for your patience and candor with my questions, Lieutenant. Though I am not a doctor, merely a layperson, I know the work your team is performing is full of extraordinary possibilities for medical science. I hope the results of your tests will be fruitful and beneficial to many."

She turns to Dr. Anderson. "May I ask you--have you found any volunteers or perhaps even entire races who are immune to the spores' effects, or perhaps those who are either more or less affected by them? I am curious to know whether their potency is universal." Kylah then hesitates and shifts her gaze quickly to Dr. T'Var. "I do apologize, this is probably a better question coming from our Medical Officer. I just find the experiments fascinating."
    Last edited by choie; 19 Oct 2013 at 01:01 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin meets Kylah's look with a grin and utters the word 'Jeril' silently back at her, before getting out his tricorder and checking it is working correctly by doing a few scans, while other questions are being asked.

The news that the party would be spending the night here is a bonus.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"No need to apologize, Mr. Kylah," says Dr. Anderson. "I love talking about my work. Most humanoids respond the same or similarly to the spores, although there are some differences within species subgroups, and a few exceptions entirely. Rigellians seem to be completely immune, for instance. Most Denobulans are knocked unconscious, while Betazoids are barely affected. Vulcans have a sort of allergy that makes exposure for them anything from mildly unpleasant to very painful to actually life-threatening. For that reason we have no Vulcans on the staff here - sorry, Dr. T'Var."

Palver says, "Tellarites find exposure particularly pleasant, so I'd say you're in for a treat during your stay at the resort, Mr. Ebling."

Anderson seems about to say something more, but then catches herself and just smiles.

Rangin's tricorder seems to be working properly, and a preliminary scan shows nothing out of the ordinary. What, specifically, will he scan for?

Delaney, seeing what Rangin is doing, unlimbers his tricorder and also begins to scan.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has been greatly impressed and relieved by the responses she's received... but the reaction that Dr. Anderson just had to Lt. Palver's remark about Tallarites puts her on high alert. "Thank you for your answer, Doctor," she says while moving a bit closer, ostensibly to take another look at the surroundings.

As she does, she focuses her entire attention on Anderson's emotions. She's been trying her best not to overuse her abilities--aside from the Ferguson meeting--but this is an entirely different situation. Her experiences during the Sakathian mission and Dr. Waite's secretive behavior are too fresh in her mind to keep her sanguine about a doctor hiding anything from them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah's empathic senses tell her that you see is what you get with Dr. Anderson - she seems open, honest, and really enjoys her work.

Registered
    May 2013

"What about hostile or potentially hostile races," Graham asks Anderson. "Klingons? Romulans? Orions? Could these spores be adapted to military uses?"
    Last edited by general_urko; 19 Oct 2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: minor edit for clarity

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah exhales in relief. Waite has made me paranoid.

She's about to ask about practical uses and how long the research might take before the spores become available for everyday applications, but then she hears Graham's question. Kylah is taken aback yet again by the reminder of this man's darker side. Biological or chemical weapons? Is he mad? Surely Starfleet would not abide such things.

But she clamps her mouth shut, anxious to hear the doctor's reply. If this is something they would actually consider... Kylah will have a real quandary regarding what to report to her uncle.
    Last edited by choie; 19 Oct 2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Graham's question made mine obsolete.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"We did hear of recent Klingon involved disturbances on Anubis and Haran V," Collins piles on to Graham's question. "Have they ever come here?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Palver seems a bit taken aback at Graham's question and says, "The Federation doesn't develop or use bioweapons, both by law and by treaty. That's not part of our work, and never will be, if I have anything to do about it." Dr. Anderson nods firmly. Palver goes on, "The Klingons have never come here, and I doubt they ever will. It's too deep inside Federation territory."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shrugs. "I didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities. It seems like in a hostage situation or when there are lots of civilians in the mix, something that silently turns everybody into best friends could be handy." He smiles slightly and turns to Collins. "I don't really see Klingons fully appreciating the facilities here...pedicures? Eyebrow wax? Although those I've seen would probably benefit from both."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin will enquire politely from one of the technicians if he can get some scans of the pollen, just so he knows what to look out for.

He also enquires of the other staff if they have done any testing on animals and not just humanoid races?

He also asks with a smile what the mess hall in the research lab is like or if they are lucky enough to share those facilities with the resort?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah, wanting to smooth things over, adds: "It is admittedly a possibility that someone outside the Federation might wish to take control of a planet with a resource as valuable as this. But as the Lieutenant says, it is well within the Federation boundaries. Still, one hopes that some day we might be able to share such lifesaving substances as this, even with those who were once enemies."

Even as she says this, she realizes for the first time that her Guardian will undoubtedly be furious with her if she does not get a sample of the spores herself; offering such a gift to his Klingon companions would be of extraordinary value. Shaking the thought out of her head for now, Kylah returns to the question she was about to ask. "Doctor, do you have any thoughts on how long your research will continue before you are satisfied that the spores--or their underlying compounds--are safe and controllable enough to be made available for more widespread use?"
    Last edited by choie; 20 Oct 2013 at 12:48 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins chuckles quietly at Graham's comment on Klingon sartorial habits.

Closed thread