Closed thread
Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"No offense taken, Ens. Graham," Lt. Palver says. "I just want to make it quite clear what we're doing here - and what we're not doing."

Dr. Anderson takes Rangin over to a clear, sealed biosample box which holds several grams of the spores, and he is able to easily scan it. "We've done testing on both animals and sentient beings, of course," she explains. "And as to the food here, it's fine - no better and no worse than you'd find on your ship. Typical Starfleet replicator or fresh-cooked fare, and it's free, of course. The resort definitely has better food," she says, nodding at Wilson, "but you'd have to pay for it."

"WR&R would be happy to provide you all with a meal, at no charge," Wilson says, smiling. "Perhaps lunch, or dinner tonight?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Oct 2013 at 02:38 PM.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins knows what her crew mates want her to say. Truth be told, she'd love a gourmet meal herself. "Thank you, Mr. Wilson. Dinner would be welcome. After we've toured your facilities and spoken to those of your guests who are willing to be interviewed, of course."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin smiles back at the offer. "Dinner at a WR&R resort, that would be a fine thing. Of course, we are not supposed to sample the delights as a sole party in case it should bias any findings we may have. But it would be a great way to get to know everyone here perhaps more socially."

Rangin turns back to Dr Anderson, "Thank you for that," and he starts looking over the readings on his tricorder.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah bites her lip for a moment, then walks closer to Collins and says, under her breath: "With respect, ma'am? May I suggest that we thank Mr. Wilson for his offer, but insist on paying for our own. I believe Starfleet would frown on a complimentary meal due to the potential of conflict of interest--even if it is only the appearance of one."
    Last edited by choie; 20 Oct 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ens. Rangin's tricorder readings of the Contentiflora omicron Kalomi spores are much as he expected, given the Library Computer records he'd already consulted on the Yorktown, which date back to the spores' discovery and the first studies by Dr. Leila Kalomi, the Sandoval Colony's botanist. The spores have never been found on any other planet. Technically (or botanically) speaking, they are haploid, unicellular and are produced by meiosis in the sporangium of the Omicron pod plant, which, Rangin knows, has immobile roots, limited stalk mobility, the rudimentary and still inexplicable ability to sense sentient life nearby, and scatters its spores by high-velocity expulsion into the air around it. The plant is unusually hardy, thriving with little water even in rocky soil and, of course, under constant bombardment by Berthold rays.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Oct 2013 at 08:35 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins replies as quietly "Good point, Ensign. I will bring it up with him privately, so as not to embarrass him or us." or myself.

Registered
    Mar 2012

With a slight nod, Kylah moves away and stands nearer to Rangin, curious about his findings... and just finding herself drawn naturally to him. Then she realizes the doctor never answered her question. She turns back to Anderson. "I'm sorry, Doctor, I may not have heard your answer. Do you have any estimate on how soon your research will be complete--at least, the first phase of it? I assume part of the reason for researching the spores is to ensure that they are safe and controllable enough to be made available for more widespread use. I would imagine there could be a great benefit gained by using the spores' restorative capabilities in hospitals or medications."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We could be at this for many years, Ensign," Dr. Anderson says. "I wish I knew how long. The spores lose their efficacy soon after being removed from the planet's atmosphere, regardless of the storage method. For the foreseeable future, people will have to come here for treatment, rather than us taking the spores elsewhere."

Registered
    Mar 2012

The doctor's response lightens Kylah's mood considerably. Then they would be of no use to Aldaan, even if by some miracle I were able to steal some. The sense of obligation lifted, she thanks Dr. Anderson and turns back to Rangin.

"Do your scans show anything interesting...Jeril?" she murmurs in a very serious voice. "No sign of their being able to mutate and attack us?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var frowns slightly. "I will keep that in mind," she says. "Though I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to study your research in detail, Dr. Anderson."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Anderson picks up a datapad and makes a note. "I'll see that an unclassified medical summary is sent to your shipboard comm account, Doctor. If there's anything in particular that you want to then focus on, please let me know."

"So..." says Wilson. "If there's nothing else you'd like to do here, shall we go the resort now?"

"That gets my vote!" Delaney says enthusiastically. He looks at Collins, and clears his throat. "Uh... not that it's a democracy, ma'am."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Oct 2013 at 08:32 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin notices Kylah coming across to look at his scans of the spores. He smiles at the mention of the name, which is not his name, and turns the tricorder slightly to show her the readings.

"There are so many things you hear about, but its never quite the same seeing it on a screen as seeing it for yourself. It's pretty much the same as shown in the science records, in terms of structure and known effect. But just to see it is another matter."

Rangin straightens up slightly. "As for mutation, well the spores are one step off the Mycelium Brain Fungus, which eats into a person's neural functions," he says with a wink to Dr Anderson behind Kylah's head, "the usual first symptoms are forgetfulness." as he tries his best to keep a straight face.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Well, it isn't a dictatorship either, Lieutenant." Collins smiles. "Yes, onward." she waves her arm with a flourish in the direction of the resort. When they start off, she will catch up with Wilson so that she can speak to him quietly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Palver and Anderson show the Yorktown landing party out, and say their goodbyes until later.

Wilson leads the way on the path away from the Starfleet research station and up to the top of a nearby hill. There is a sweeping view of the surrounding countryside for many kilometers from there. He points out the wooden frame houses, barns and other outbuildings of the original Sandoval Colony - still maintained for guests at the resort who want to experience the rustic life - as well as, a few hundred meters away and over another rise, the long, low, modern buildings of the resort, built of gleaming duranium and glass.

Collins has a chance to talk to Wilson alone as everyone walks down the hill.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 21 Oct 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Mr Wilson," Collins says quietly, "While we are honored and very appreciative, we could not accept a free meal. Conflict of interest. So, we'd be happy to dine at the resort, but we will be paying for it."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wilson says, "If you like, although it's really no problem as far as I'm concerned. WR&R is happy to treat you."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"And your generous offer is appreciated," Collins replies. "Some other time, perhaps."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is amused by Rangin's light humor, relieved that her gaffes from their evening together can now be treated as a joke. When the group walks outside she is pleased to be among nature, although the absence of other living creatures besides plants still strikes her as a great loss. The difference between the shining new resort compound and the original colonists' old, wooden, barn-like buildings--which look hundreds of years old instead of only five--couldn't be more stark.

"If there were time," she says to Rangin, "I would be interested in looking at the colonists' homes. Abandoned buildings fascinate me. One never knows what relics one might find. I used to go exploring in the closed-off wings of our home, not just for the solitude and comfort, but for the mysteries I hoped to discover. Usually it was nothing but old furniture or clothing, even some jewelry or children's toys... but still, they belonged to people long past, and I enjoyed imagining their lives..."

She realizes she's speaking quite a lot about nothing very interesting, and quickly ends her ruminations. Raising her voice a little to include Dr. T'Var, she asks of both her and Rangin: "Do you know how long these ARB shots last? I wonder how long one could last in these Berthold rays before the anti-radiation shot wore off?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mrs. Hsu overhears Kylah's remarks and says, "You're welcome to have a look at the colony's buildings, if you wish. Many of our guests like to see them."

Dr. T'Var says, "The shots last ten days, under normal circumstances. It should not be a problem for us. Living animal tissues cannot last more than a week if unprotected from Berthold rays."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 21 Oct 2013 at 07:57 PM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

"If guests visit or stay in the colony's buildings, seems as if we ought to have a look," Graham interjects. He turns toward Collins and quickly adds, "that is, if we have time now, ma'am."
    Last edited by general_urko; 21 Oct 2013 at 09:19 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"The strange thing about those buildings would be the lack of life in them from any creatures that could have moved in. Its surprising just how quiet this place is, just the sounds of us moving and little else."

Rangin is still looking around the view and seeing nothing of the signs of life he is used to.

"I never used to go exploring our home, it was a bit too small for that. There were plenty of other places to go and explore instead." A wistful faraway look crosses Rangin's face.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins looks over at what could only be described as a ghost town. "No thanks, Graham, The research station's facilities will do just fine." Then she smiles at him.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Very well," says Wilson, leading you directly to the resort.

It's even more sleek and impressive as you approach the main entryway, which has a large, arched canopy emblazoned with a stylized "W." He explains as you enter, "We have space for 200 guests, and we're about three-quarters full at the moment. After check-in, all of our guests go through orientation, which covers much the same information as you already have, before their exposure to the spores. You'll see that shortly. Every guest has a private room, suite or stand-alone house, depending on what they wish to spend. Our guests stay for as little as a week and for as long as, typically, a month or two." He smiles. "Sometimes longer. We have some long-term guests who love it so much they haven't left since we opened."

The lobby, large and gracious, feels like a cool refuge after the glare of the sun outside. A half-dozen nicely-dressed people are walking through it or attending to business at the front desk. Wilson continues, "We have the usual range of five-star resort activities, including swimming, golf, hiking, tennis and other sports, and multimedia and live entertainment, meditation, discussion groups, arts and crafts, and so on. Of course the spa offers everything you might expect, including sauna, massage, aromatics, mud baths, Tellurian touch therapy, and the like. We have five restaurants, three bars, a variable-gravity gym, a hospital, library, conference facilities, gift shops and much more."

He seems quite proud of his domain. "Any questions so far?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Oct 2013 at 09:40 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var has no idea what a mud bath might be, though she would like to visit the library and learn more about the meditations available.

"Is there a particular type of meditation offered?" T'Var asks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wilson looks at Hsu, who says, "We offer guided or computer-assisted meditation in all of the major Earth methods, Doctor, as well as Vulcan, Arcadian, Jorlist, Neo-Jorlist, Mileri and Q'len."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah frowns while listening to the litany of features, having focused only on one comment she finds rather worrisome. "Yes, I have a question," she says to Wilson. "You mention that some guests stay indefinitely. In looking at the history of the original colonists, we know that those who were affected by the spores showed a strong preference for remaining under their control. How do you ensure that your guests are not acting under the influence of the spores by deciding to remain? It seems to me that such passivity and near-addiction would be a very real danger." Albeit a potentially profitable one for the resort, she thinks dryly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"If they have the money to pay," Wilson shrugs, "and had decided beforehand that they want to remain under the spores' influence indefinitely, who are we to kick them out? It's not an addiction, as such, or so the doctors tell me."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Would it be possible to show the mechanisms that you use to introduce the spores to clients and how you remove them afterwards?" asks Rangin, "And how do you prevent your guests from introducing the spores to other people?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Raising an eyebrow, Kylah glances at Dr. T'Var before returning her gaze to Wilson. "But you said that your guests 'love it so much that they decide to stay indefinitely.' That does not indicate an advance decision, but one made after one has been under the influence of the treatment. Did these guests indeed make informed decisions ahead of time? You see, Mr. Wilson, an unscrupulous person--not yourself, of course, I speak in hypotheticals--could very easily take advantage of people whose minds are not capable of releasing themselves from the spores' control."

She turns to T'Var and murmurs, "I should think maintaining the Starfleet contract would require a guarantee on the resort owners' part that these guests are making informed decisions without any undue influence of this potent chemical. Do you not agree, Doctor?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is glad there are those on her team who know what questions to ask. I'd rather have a phaser fight with a Romulan or punch a Klingon in the gut. Just because I read mystery novels doesn't mean I can solve them. Sheesh.

Registered
    May 2013

As he takes a last look at the old wooden buildings, Graham is lost in thought for a moment.

He had just made lieutenant, junior grade. They had gone away for a few days, just the two of them, staying in a little wooden house deep in the moors on the Isle of Skye off Scotland’s west coast. It has started to snow lightly while they were out walking.

They hadn’t dressed for it. Jane’s hands were freezing: thin, elegant hands he remembers watching many times as she examined some ancient little antiquity from god only knows where in the galaxy. He’d wrapped hers up in his—in his mind’s eye he notices his hands were unscarred then—and they ran that way, together, back to the cottage and a warm fire.

I want that day back,
    he thinks.

The conversation around him brings him back to the present: yes, right, once you’re under the influence of the spores, how the hell could you ever make a decision to come out from under it? It sounds like Kylah has raised this point…

Then his mind goes off in a different direction: I wonder what Cecilia’s doing? Is she on the bridge? Having a good or a bad day…did she think of me at all today? he wonders—and doubts it, with some disappointment.
    Last edited by general_urko; 22 Oct 2013 at 04:56 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wilson patiently answers all of the questions, even as he leads the party through the main lobby and down a long corridor lined with what look to be very old and valuable paintings:

"Yes, you're about to see the spores introduced to guests, as I mentioned earlier. I don't think we have anyone scheduled to be withdrawn - that's the term we use - from the spores' influence today...?" He looks at Hsu, who shakes her head. "Perhaps tomorrow, then. But there's not much to see, when it happens. So: Introduction and withdrawal. We prevent other guests from introducing the spores to others simply by keeping the plants out of the resort, except under controlled conditions for new arrivals. Our grounds crew also regularly checks the area to make sure the Omicron plants aren't growing anywhere nearby."

He continues, "We have trained counselors on staff who meet with our longterm guests on a regular basis to determine whether or not they wish to remain under the spores' influence. Guests must also designate a family member, lawyer or advisor, not anyone on WR&R's staff, and provide him or her with durable power of attorney to be consulted if there's any question about a guest not giving informed consent to remain affected. We've had only an occasional problem or two with that. As you can imagine, people who can afford to stay here indefinitely tend to be quite wealthy and more than capable of looking after their own interests."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Oct 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Saying nothing more than a mild 'thank you' to the employees, Kylah remains dubious. She looks with interest at first Graham, then Rangin. She wonders if the security officer is satisfied with what Wilson has just told them. He seems the cynical sort, to put it mildly. Is he content with Wilson's response? The notion that someone wealthy is able to look after his or her own interests strikes her as a nice sentiment but hardly universally accurate. How much incentive would a wealthy person's family have to keep them out of the way?

Rangin seems to represent the opposite end of the spectrum from Graham: a good-natured optimist. At least, he appears that way to her. Perhaps that's why she's drawn to him. She has met so few genuine optimists in her life, and fewer people of a kind, down-to-earth demeanor. Kylah is curious to know what he thinks of this escape from reality, which could so easily lead to a permanent withdrawal.

Collins and Delaney have been silent, she thinks, glancing over to the mission commander. And T'Var has said almost as little. Am I stepping above myself again? Yet, even as she muses about this, Kylah still thinks she'll take a look at the old colony buildings, if they do get any chance to explore on their own. Graham seemed interested in them as well. He might be willing to... well, not disobey, but not listen quite as strictly to Collins's orders. Besides, she didn't say not to visit the buildings, just that they wouldn't be staying in them. Kylah wonders if tonight, after hours, she might be able to take a look. Unlike back on the Sakathian research station, she very much doubts the crew will be kept under virtual lock and key.
    Last edited by choie; 22 Oct 2013 at 08:53 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham forces his attention back to matters at hand. "Three bars...plus 'Tellurian touch therapy.' I actually don't know what that is, but it sure sounds good," he says to Wilson.

He glances at Collins, and clenches and unclenches his fists at his sides. He suspects she feels the same way he does: if somebody would point out an obvious "bad guy," they could swing into traditional security work. But that's unlikely to happen. What Elizabeth would do, he thinks, is like what Kylah is doing. Keep asking questions. Good ones. He looks at Kylah and tries to look supportive and encouraging, nodding subtly to acknowledge that she's doing the right thing. "Still, you'll forgive me if a grizzled old security officer like me wonders if these spores aren't a way that a spouse or heir couldn't send somebody very rich out to pasture...I'm sure that doesn't happen, but it's a risk Starfleet ought to pay attention to. So we might have some further questions, and want to talk to folks." He spreads his hands wide and smiles as disarmingly as he can. "Maybe at or after dinner? I'd bet what you serve here is one hundred kinds of awesome..."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I don't think you'll be disappointed in the cuisine, Ensign," Wilson says. "As to anyone being 'put out to pasture' - we're aware of that risk, and do our best to ensure that those who are here want to be here. You're welcome to talk to anyone here you wish, but if someone declines to talk, I only ask that you please comply with their wishes, and respect their privacy. I would rather no one upset our guests." He pauses a moment, and turns to his assistant. "You know, Mrs. Hsu, I suppose the admiral and Mr. Ebling ought to go ahead and check in, and go through orientation. Will you take them to the main desk, please? We'll meet you soon in the Introduction Room."

"Of course, sir," says Hsu. "Admiral, Commander, would you come with me, please?" The three of them walk back down the hallway.

"That will take just a few minutes," Wilson says to the rest of the landing party. "Before we see spore introductions, is there anything in the resort you'd particularly like to see?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Oct 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin does wonder why Kylah is being a bit more negative here than at the research station. Maybe she doesn't like them or suspects as a business they are up to no good. As far as Rangin is concerned, they're a business, which means there is a good chance they will be corrupt, but in ways that mean that it would not hurt their chances of keeping this contract. No successful business is that stupid. If there was a problem, not only should the research station have noticed, but so would any starship coming to visit. They may be shipping samples off site, but keeping a few people here longer than they should, would all be above board and legal. Just in case someone did decide to investigate them. Something this rich and expensive, is not worth screwing up.

"Just out of curiousity, how do you and how would you prevent the staff from partaking of the spores", asks Rangin. "I take it we will be able to see the precautions to keep the spores secure, but do you have any measures should any spores be leaked into the atmosphere." Rangin pauses for a moment, "and I suppose I should also ask, have you ever been tempted?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var listens carefully to the questions asked and then the answers given.

"With all due respect," she says, "this certainly sounds like an addiction to me."

The doctor pauses a moment. "I would have a concern on ethical grounds -- even though you seem to have the proper guidelines in place for those who wish to stay indefinitely."

Registered
    Feb 2009

it takes a moment for the Vice Admiral and his aide to walk away with Mrs Hsu for Rangin to realise that something doesn't quite ring true. In the Mission briefing when he suggested and assumed that Mr Ebling would be staying on the planet, Captain Singh said that she didn't mention that Lt. Cmdr. Ebling would be accompanying the Vice Admiral down to the planet, or even if she would. And yet, there she went walking away down the corridor.

Rangin waits for a moment when he can approach Collins quietly. "My apologies for asking Sir, but didn't Captain Singh say in the briefing that though the Vice Admiral would be staying, there was no suggestion that Lt Cmdr Ebling would be doing likewise? Is it worth confirming that they are both supposed to be staying?"

Rangin pauses for a moment before adding "I apologise in advance, if I have assumed something incorrectly again."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins replies as quietly "That's what I thought, too. But there she was, this morning, in the transporter room." Collins shrugs.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"If you just wish to talk and not tour the resort for now," Wilson says, "why don't we have a seat?" He leads the landing party to a plushly-appointed conference room nearby, and everyone is soon comfortably seated. A waiter enters and Wilson says, "Refreshments, anyone?"

He orders a glass of Theban iced cider and answers Rangin. "A medscan will show the presence of the spores in your lungs at once, and all of our staff sign employment contracts prohibiting spore exposure without permission from a supervisor. We take precautions similar to those of the research station to keep spores out of the resort. As it happens, we permit our staff one free spore use per year, and many do so while on vacation. It costs the company nothing, really, and it's quite good for morale. I've done it myself twice, for a week each time. Clears your mind, and it's very relaxing."

He leans back and steeples his fingers. "I've always understood an 'addiction,' Doctor, to be the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences. But there are no adverse consequences to spore introduction - indeed, there are only positive consequences."

Delaney overhears Collins and Rangin. He whispers, "I thought the Captain was just saying she didn't know whether or not Mr. Ebling would be joining the admiral. I think Mr. Rangin assumed she would."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Oct 2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Corrected reference to Rangin.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah requests no refreshment. She can't explain it but she simply doesn't trust this resort. The idea of being peacful and in blithe ignorance of one's responsibilities does hold a temptation for her, but it's that very reason that she doesn't trust it. Nothing so ideal can possibly be true.

In a cool but non-confrontational voice, she backs up T'Var's point. "At the Academy I learned that one definition of addiction, at least on Earth, is something that one that one compulsively indulges in to the point where it affects either one's own life, or that of those around you. Someone who escapes to this spa and lives in a falsely-imposed state of bliss is certainly affecting his life, and quite possibly that of his or her family or friends. Certainly that was the reason the original colonists were removed from the planet; they had ceased to follow their own ambitions and challenges." Kylah turns a hand over, attempting to show a fairminded view. "On the other hand, if there are so many back-up plans such as the powers of attorney and so on, perhaps this is not a likely concern. Except for those few cases you alluded to earlier, of course," she concludes in a murmur.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wilson says easily, "With respect, I would disagree that the spores provide 'a falsely-imposed state of bliss,' Ensign. It's quite genuine; I've felt it myself. It's no less real than the relaxation you might get from meditation, or biofeedback, or a good night's rest, or the company of loved ones or friends. The colonists had big plans which they neglected due to the spores, it's true; but those who now come here, to be healed or simply to relax, know exactly what they're getting, and we're glad to provide it to them."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah shrugs, affecting a casual manner. "I suppose we shall simply have to disagree, Mr. Wilson. Personally, I cannot put much faith in an emotional state so ephemeral that it that lasts only as long as one is exposed to a specific chemical compound. But I am no expert in such matters. I am glad that you and your guests have found the experience to be beneficial." Particularly for your well-lined pockets.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"That's fine, I just wasn't sure", replies Rangin to Collins and Delaney.

When Mr Wilson has finished responding to Kylah and Dr T'Var, Rangin asks a couple more questions. "Out of curiosity, how do people hear about this resort and have you had to turn some away, it can't be that widely known about and how do you know if someone is able to be infected by the spores without ill effect? I'm just interested in what filtering you do to ensure the well-being of those becoming your clients."

Rangin listens to the comments from some of the colleagues and is left wondering if they have ever been pampered in a spa before. Certainly, the spores could be considered addictive, but then so is alcohol, or adrenaline for some people he had known, and also for a variety of other substances. People coming here for a week or two would definitely want to get away from it all and unwind and if it involved spending a lot of money and the use of certain controlled substances, then someone, somewhere would set it up. He could think of several people who would jump at the chance to relax for a while in a place like this. And, Rangin muses further, some of them would snap out of it after a while, given that their businesses are their life and the thought of staying away from it would almost be anathema.

Thinking on it further, the spores are not an illegal substance, at least not yet and only because not that much is known about them. So nothing here that Rangin has seen so far is outside the law.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I meant no offense," T'Var replies. "It merely seems as if what the spores offer is too good to be true -- that at some point, they may certainly become a negative rather than a positive."

The doctor frowns slightly. "Of course, once I have had a chance to study your research in depth, I will have a better understanding of everything."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wilson thanks and dismisses the waiter when no one else orders a drink.

He says to Rangin, "We haven't had to do much advertising. We're a long way from Earth and the other Federation core worlds, but so far, word of mouth has more than sufficed to keep guests coming. Some people have had to be turned away due to scheduling, health or other issues, and of course, you have to be able to pay. I should add, we also offer reduced rates, or waive our fees entirely, in at least ten charity cases each month. All guests must provide a doctor's certificate that they're suitable for spore introduction. Introduction is not a physically-taxing process, though, assuming the person is from a suitable species."

"And no offense taken, Doctor," he says to T'Var, with a friendly smile. "It does seem a bit too good to be true, at first glance, I suppose. Certainly Captain Kirk and Governor Sandoval decided it wasn't for them."

A small comm panel inset into the top of the conference panel quietly buzzes, and Wilson picks up an earpiece. "Wilson... Yes?... I see... No, I'll come have a word with him... No, it's all right. Thank you." He puts the earpiece back, stands and says briskly, "Will you excuse me for a moment, please? There's a new guest who's become... well, I need to talk to him. I'll be right back. Please make yourselves comfortable here."

He leaves, and the door whispers shut behind him.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Oct 2013 at 02:32 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Become what? Collins wonders, Overly pleasured? a nuisance to others? Aggressive due to an inadvertent overdose? She resists the urge to follow Wilson and spy on him. That's not what a mission leader does. She goes over to Graham and says quietly "Tail him, stealthily. Try to find out about this difficult guest."
    Last edited by anyrose; 24 Oct 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah watches Wilson leave and comments dryly, "It is quite coincidental for this idyllic retreat to have one of its supposedly rare problems with a guest on the very day we first arrive." In a more serious tone, she murmurs, "I hope this new guest to which Mr. Wilson referred is not either Admiral Hardin or his aide."

Registered
    May 2013

Right idea, Graham thinks. But I'm exactly not the stealthiest guy in the galaxy...

Graham nods to Collins. After a moment's pause goes to the door to follow Wilson.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The door slides open and Graham looks out. The thickly-carpeted hallway stretches a short distance to both his right and to his left before turning out of sight in each direction. It is empty. He does not hear anyone.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Oct 2013 at 11:18 PM.

Closed thread