Closed thread
Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #3: "Some Other Side of Paradise"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I'm sure it is not logical to question how the Doctor knew about dinner, but how does she do that? Probably why I still have difficulty beating her at chess." grins Rangin.

He looks at the departing Graham, "Good to meet you", he acknowledges him with a nod and then turns back to Kylah.

"Thank you the detail on the Comptroller, I didn't know what he did. I wouldn't worry about your roommate or our new security ensign. They are likely to spend the new week or so working out where the boundaries lie in terms of humour and good taste."

He drops his voice slightly. "As for something else. Well, I was a little curious about the gentleman you mentioned last night. The one who doesn't appear to like you at all. I don't know whether you did, but I took a look at his record to see if there was any reason. I'm sorry to say I couldn't find anything. All I can say is probably just steer clear of him as best you can." Rangin finishes off his coffee.

He raises his voice again. "That aside, and given that we are both at dinner tonight, are you doing anything tomorrow night? Poker?"
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Yes, poker," Kylah says automatically, so stunned by what Rangin has just told her that she finds herself staring at him like a fool until she corrals her thoughts. "But wait. You--you looked up his record?" She lowers her voice in wonder. "I had not even considered that."

Her heart races. She had forgotten all about Ferguson again. And now Rangin has brought it back, along with multiple questions. He took it upon himself to investigate? Why would he do this for her? She's torn between wounded pride--that he felt she could not handle her own problems--and being touched that he took her words seriously after all. Last night she had thought him dismissive of her fears, perhaps not surprisingly considering the alcohol's effect on her ability to communicate. Apparently she was wrong. Rangin had believed her, at least enough to look into the matter.

Curiosity forces her blurt, "What exactly did you look for? Was it not a risk to do so--I mean, surely he might learn who has been looking up his records. Can you get in trouble for this?" And finally, she must ask in a softer tone: "Why would you do such a thing?"
    Last edited by choie; 07 Sep 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin shrugs his shoulders and looks slightly non-plussed back at her. "You're a friend, aren't you? Why wouldn't I try to help out?"

He smiles again as he realises that Kylah thinks he might have been snooping in sealed records to get info.

"I only looked at open records, nothing further. I was just looking for any kind of link to give reason to what you said his actions were. I had some free time last night in the lab, after we came back. Everyone else was on shore leave, and I got to thinking. That's all."

"I don't think much will come of it.", Rangin shrugs again before looking slightly embarrassed at Kylah. "I hope you're not upset with me for looking are you?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

A friend. Why do the words both warm Kylah and disappoint her at the same time? Irritated with herself, she pushes the disappointment away. She has not had enough experience with friendship to discount it when offered.

"I am not upset," she says at last. "Surprised, yes. I do intend to learn what caused our strange interaction, although if there is nothing in his recorded history, I suppose there is no sense in pursuing it." Not down that avenue, at any rate, she thinks, her mind already tempted to run through other strategies. But she quickly focuses on the here and now--particularly, Rangin's kindness. "I just... I would not have expected someone else to consider helping me in such a way. It was thoughtful of you to do so, Velir." She smiles in gratitude. Then she gathers her tray and stands up. "My shift on the Bridge is starting soon. I suppose I will see you at dinner tonight? Have a good day--and thank you again."

She hurries off to deposit her bowl and utensils--which reminds her that she must replace her lost throwing knife; she should have used shore leave for that purpose, how forgetful of her. Then again, if she had, she might not have spent dinner with Rangin, and that would be regrettable. Kylah almost smiles to herself again, but returns to her usual impassive expression as she hastens to the Bridge.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pourtash and Delaney say goodbye and leave the Mess Hall - Pourtash to a meeting of Command staff, and Delaney, having pulled an all-nighter with the deuterium pump, to bed.

Collins checks in at the Security Office but sees that all's quiet. She next goes to the Bridge. Cmdr. Vargas is in the big chair and wishes her a good morning. Settling in at the Security console, she sees that Lt. Thalen has forwarded her a message from Starfleet Tactical about somewhat menacing Klingon visits to two border worlds not far away.

Graham has time to look in the Ship's Gymnasium before his orientation. The Gym is bright, clean and, he's a little stunned to see, at least four times as big as that of the Invictus. It includes open space for general exercise, a variable-G running track, weightlifting and rowing machines, a sauna, steam room, squash and handball courts, and several rooms that may be configured as needed for boxing and martial arts, fencing, yoga, gymnastics, dance, and so on. There are changing rooms, athletic gear available in lockers, neat piles of towels, and laundry chutes. A large swimming pool with a low diving board and two whirlpool baths adjoins the Gym complex. About three dozen people are in the general area.

In Sickbay, Dr. Villa has some lab results that she'd like T'Var to look at, and physical exams for the Vulcan to perform on three Yorktown crewmembers over the course of the morning. Fujishiro's condition is unchanged.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Sep 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham is gratified to see the exceptional fitness facilities, and only with effort succeeds at fighting off the urge to immerse himself physically and mentally right now in a long, intense, and all-consuming workout.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins taps the panel in front of her to get more information about the two border worlds mentioned in Thalen's message. She types the following queries:
    1. What are the names of the worlds involved
    2. How far are these worlds from our present position
    3. are they en route or are they a major detour
    She waits for answers before she brings this to Vargas' attention.
    Last edited by anyrose; 07 Sep 2013 at 09:36 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham successfully fights the temptations of the Gym and reports on time to the Security Office for his orientation. He and two Security ratings, Spec/1 Daniel Smith and Spec/3 Aidan Williams, have just come aboard the Yorktown and are briefed by Ens. Mary Three Crows, a tall, stately Amerindian female who wears her dark hair in braids. She explains the ship's standard operating procedures (most of which come as no surprise to Graham), and gives the three a tour of the small Security Office, the bigger and adjoining Brig, the Armory, the Phaser Control Room and the Photon Torpedo Bay.

Three Crows says in conclusion, "Cmdr. Vargas, as you know, is both our First Officer and Chief of Security. This might make you wonder if he can give his full attention to this department." She chuckles. "Let me assure you, he can. Mr. Vargas is quite capable of multitasking, and you just may live to regret the day you assume he's distracted or unaware of what goes on here. This is, to be blunt, the best department on one of the best ships in the Fleet, and he expects us all to keep it that way. Any questions?"

Collins may make her inquiry verbally or by typing. She learns that the Klingons, as permitted by the Organian Peace Treaty, claimed their rights to shore leave on Anubis and Haran V. The same Klingon battlecruiser, the Klothar, went to both worlds a few days apart. At Anubis, it ignored orders of the planet's space-traffic control center upon entering the system and forced a Rigellian freighter and an interplanetary shuttle to change course to avoid a collision. On Haran V there were several fights between Klingon personnel and the locals, apparently provoked by the Klingons, but fortunately no one was killed. A Klingon lieutenant made remarks to an officer of the Haranian police, who was investigating one of the disturbances, to the effect that "this planet will be ours soon enough."

At standard cruising speed the planets are four and five days away, respectively, from Omicron Ceti III. On her current course and given her current mission, they would be a major detour for the Yorktown.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins now asks the computer if there are any Federation ships closer to those two worlds who could investigate and mediate.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins checks the Fleet disposition database and sees no ships closer than the Yorktown. Sending a ship would be a decision of Starfleet Command, of course, she knows.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08 Sep 2013 at 12:54 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Before T'Var assumes her normal duties in Sickbay, she spends a moment sitting with Fujishiro. Though it would probably be best to let the young woman pass away in peace, the doctor finds it very difficult to accept this.

T'Var leans down and whispers in Fujishiro's ear, "Fight the enemy within. You have much to live for. Fight for your life."
    Last edited by WES; 08 Sep 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods. This is more like it: Three Crows seems solid, no B.S. here. “Understood. Is there anything that newbies should know about what pushes the old m—ah, the Commander’s or the Captain’s buttons, positively—or negatively? I’d like to avoid stepping on any landmines--” he gestures at Williams and Smith and smiles slightly. “If only so collateral damage doesn’t take out my partners here who may have bright careers ahead of them.” He pauses for a moment. “I suppose Collins too. No disrespect intended but she seems…a little young…as ACOS.”

Registered
    Sep 2009

Three Crows smiles. "Nothing in particular, Mr. Graham. Do your job, be well-prepared, know what's going on, and you should have no problems."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Commander," Collins addresses Vargas, "There have been some disturbances on Anubis and Haran V." She relays all the information she's found, including the fact that there are no other ships in the area."

Registered
    Mar 2012

This is only Kylah's second time on Bridge duty and she's already hyperalert, even though sitting at Communications during a several-day journey, as she's been told, usually means a lot of time patiently monitoring the vast emptiness of space, waiting for the off-chance of a passing vessel or occupied planet making contact.

Now she hears Collins's report, and the mere mention of Klingons makes Kylah swivel her head briefly toward her roommate. She then quickly yanks her attention away, focusing on her comm panel. Above all, she tries not to think of the consequences--and her own obligations--should the Yorktown act on this situation.
    Last edited by choie; 08 Sep 2013 at 03:05 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vargas says, "Thank you, Mr. Collins. I'd seen that report already. If Starfleet decides anyone should go, it'll probably be us. The Klingons have proved themselves to be less-than-ideal houseguests time and again, but it's rarely necessary for Starfleet to respond." He does not seem especially concerned.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins nods and turns her attention back to her panel.

Registered
    May 2013

No problems with them, at least, Graham thinks--but that still leaves a whole galaxy's worth of problems to have...

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I'll see you tonight at dinner then." Rangin smiles as he watches Kylah leave and then bids farewell to the others as they leave. Sat alone at the table, he wonders what he should do until his watch starts in a few hours.

He decides on a slow workout in the gym, get things ready for this evening and head for his watch. He could do with a quiet day.
    Last edited by CatInASuit; 09 Sep 2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: watch - not shift

Registered
    Sep 2009

The rest of Collins's and Kylah's watch on the Bridge is uneventful. Their relief arrives - Ens. De La Paz and Lt. Thalen, respectively.

Graham's orientation is complete; what would he like to do next?

Rangin goes to the Gym. What would he like to do there?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin goes swimming for a while, not at pace but just for relaxation. Get some rhythm and get all his muscles working again, easing out some of the soreness from the enforced bed rest.

He will probably do that for an hour or so.

Registered
    May 2013

"Be prepared and know what's going on," Graham thinks. May as well take that to heart. He looks for a data terminal in the Security offices. First he checks his own duty roster, as well as when Collins goes off duty--with the intention of following up on her offer to spar. After that, he reviews Security records for anything major he ought to know: all recent reports over the past week , and any major incident reports over the past 30 days. Assuming he's free to do so, he'll familiarize himself with the armory and then head over to check out Sick Bay.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins checks to see if she'll have enough time before the dinner to spar with the new guy. If so, she'll head right to the gym at end of shift. If not, she'll message Graham and apologize, then after shift, return to her cabin and get ready.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin has a good swim, and feels tired but good when he's done. Another five people are in the pool. Two are swimming laps, one is just floating around, and the other two are cuddling at the far end, obviously enjoying each other's company but not getting too far out of hand.

Graham easily finds a Library Computer terminal in the Security Office. He sees that he is to report to Lt. JG Ryan Jones, the Security duty officer, at 0800 the next day for an eight-hour watch, starting with foot patrol around the ship. He knows that about a third of the ships in Starfleet maintain this custom; others regard it as quaint, unnecessary or even a waste of resources. (Vargas, it seems, is a traditionalist). Security incident reports from the last month are routine, but for two: a silver hairbrush was stolen from a Science officer's cabin nine days ago, and there was a fistfight in the Aft Crew Lounge three weeks ago between two Engineering ratings. Both of the crewmen involved in the fight later went to Captain's Mast, declined courts-martial and were disciplined.

Although Graham had seen the Armory with Three Crows and the others, he now takes a closer look. There are two dozen racks of phaser-1s, phaser-2s, phaser rifles, communicators and Security tricorders. The latter are armored and have specialized functions, much as Medical and Engineering tricorders do.

He is greeted in Sickbay by Nurse Michelle Brown, a brisk, plain-faced woman in her thirties with a data tablet under one arm. "Welcome, Ensign. What can I do for you?"

Collins has more than enough time to spar with Graham before dinner.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Once he's finished, Rangin returns to his quarters, preps a few things for dinner that Night and then heads to the Science area to start his watch.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham is a little disappointed as he was hoping somewhat to run into the Vulcan doctor he'd met earlier in the mess, but remains focused on learning about the ship. "Being in Security sometimes our colleagues are being brought into Sick Bay--or, sometimes, we're landing people in here. This is a hell of a ship, so I suppose it's foolish to ask about any limitations to the facilities. But I'll ask anyway, he says. "More likely I guess you might have some capabilities that other ships don't. I just wanted to get a sense of anything unique about this ship's facilities and crew, as a new guy."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Her shift over, Kylah visits the Comm Center and, using one of the terminals, makes certain she's unobtrusive as she proceeds to type in questions about Ferguson.

Not surprisingly, as Rangin didn't give her many details about his precise research, Kylah ends up asking several of the same fruitless questions. The unhelpful responses makes her scowl. She does, however, add some specifics that Rangin couldn't have:

>>Cite any known connections between Lt. Mark Ferguson and the planet Elas or any of its people?

>>Cite any known connections between Lt. Mark Ferguson and the planet Troyius or any of its people?

After receiving her responses, she hesitates only a moment before typing:

>>Communications Protocol 7A. Password Kylah 903 Alpha. Locate Ferguson's communicator now.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 12 Sep 2013 at 10:33 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var is sitting in her office looking over several patient files when she notices Ensign Graham entering Sickbay. Curious as to why the newest member of the crew would be here, she decides to find out. The doctor leaves her office and joins Graham and Nurse Brown.

"May I be of assistance?" T'Var asks. "Are you ill or injured, Mr Graham?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins heads to the gym, changes into workout gear, and warms up while waiting for Graham.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shakes his head, then shrugs. "No, I'm not hurt, Doctor--not yet. As I was saying to Nurse Brown, it tends to be only a matter of time in Security before you're either being carried in to Sick Bay or carrying someone else in. I thought I'd get the lay of the land on the facility and medical personnel. I suspect it's more likely you can do things here above and beyond what I'd find on a typical ship." He smiles slightly. "For one I'd bet money our ACMO could take the average ship's doctor two-out-of-three falls, hands down."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin finds all is quiet in the Xenobiology Lab. There are journals to read, or experiments he could plan and submit for approval by the Science Officer, or whatever else he'd like to do to pass the time.

The Library Computer whirrs for a moment and then replies to Kylah, "No Lt. Mark Ferguson is listed as serving aboard USS Yorktown. Did you mean Lt. JG Mark Ferguson, Transporter Specialist, Engineering?" Pedantic damn computer. When Kylah indicates she does, the feminine but metallic voice goes on, "There are no known connections between between Lt. JG Mark Ferguson and the planet Elas or any of its people. There are no known connections between between Ferguson and the planet Troyius or any of its people." A longer pause, then: "Ferguson's communicator is currently in his quarters, 7B41."

Collins gets nicely warmed up. There are several dozen other people around in the Gym at this hour. Security Spec/2 Alex Nivens comes over with a pair of Antarean rattan swords; he is wearing padded armor and has a light helmet and facemask. "Care for some swordfighting, ma'am?" he asks.

Nurse Brown raises an eyebrow at Graham's comment, and looks at T'Var. "Do you know something about the doctor I don't, Mr. Graham?" she asks wryly.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 12 Sep 2013 at 10:37 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shakes his head. "No ma'am, it's fair to say I don't know any facts about the doctor at all beyond the obvious. But in my line of work I try to make educated guesses about people by looking at them. Of course, my hunches have been wrong before," he adds while tracing the line of the scar running down his face.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins looks around the room for Graham. "Why not, Nivens," she says when she sees the ensign hasn't shown yet, "Thank you," she adds as she takes one of the swords from the Specialist, and faces him on the mat.
    Last edited by anyrose; 11 Sep 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's jaw juts out in stubborn irritation. Ferguson might be in his quarters, or he might not, having left his communicator behind there. She wants to speak with him in person, and preferably off-guard if she's to gain any insight. Self-control be damned, she will use her abilities if need be.

She gets up and heads to her quarters, her mind occupied with contemplating her options. Delaney is Ferguson's superior; he might know his schedule. A frown wrinkles her brow slightly. But Delaney would surely ask why Kylah wishes to know such a thing, and what would she tell him? No. Delaney is not an option.

Could she just scout out all the transporter rooms? Certainly, if she wants to waste all her time from now until dinner exploring the whole ship. And the man might not even be on duty.

She sighs. A surprise visit is clearly not feasible. She will have to contact him through other channels first.

When she reaches the cabin, Kylah is actually a little disappointed that Collins is not here. It's barely possible that her roommate might be willing to help her with no questions asked; it's clear Collins knows how to keep her own secrets--or at least tries to. Someone in security should certainly have the ability to ascertain where a crew member is stationed.

With an even tighter clenching of her jaw, Kylah moves to her compuer terminal and for the second time today must write a message she would rather not compose. After some thought, she writes:

Lieutenant Ferguson: Please pardon my forwardness, as we have not been formally introduced. However I would be extremely grateful for an opportunity to talk to you. Please let me know if it is possible to meet, at the time and place most convenient for you. If you see this tonight, I am available from now until 19:00.

Thank you, sir, for your consideration.

The humble tone of the message makes Kylah a little ill, but she has to admit she's glad she seems to have learned something from the multitude of obsequious toadies she's known throughout her upbringing. Grimacing at the screen, she sends the message off.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 12 Sep 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin starts reading up on Omicron Ceti III and the biology of the planet as that is where they are heading.

As he reads about it, he starts to get an inkling of an idea.

Given the effect of certain of the plants on people, he wonders if it is possible to replicate the effect or it can be applied to those who are not on the planet, in terms of the beneficial biological effects that they had. Is it a long term exposure or a short period? Could it be done without a psychological dependence? Does it require Berthold rays?

The more he looks into it, the more one word sits at the front of his mind.

Fujishiro.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I think you will find our department more than capable of handling any medical emergency," T'Var replies. "And I am quite capable of handling myself in most emergencies as well."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shakes his head. "No doubts here, Doctor. But speaking of emergencies--I think I'm late to meet Lt. Collins in the gym...maybe we'll meet up there sometime as well." Graham nods to both T'Var and Nurse Brown and double-times it to the gym.

Registered
    Sep 2009

As mentioned in the setup thread, see my revisions to posts 177, 181 and 184, re: Kylah's attempt to locate Ferguson.

Nivens asks, "Antarean Classic rules, ma'am?" and Collins agrees at once. He waits while she gets and dons her padded armor, helmet and facemask from an equipment locker. The two bow to each other and begin fighting. Collins immediately proves herself faster and more dextrous, but Nivens is stronger and slightly more aggressive. Graham arrives after the two have been battling for about four minutes.

Rangin sees that there's a Starfleet medical research station on Omicron Ceti III that is exploring those and other questions. Very little of its work has been published, however.

Ferguson replies to Kylah a few minutes later: I could meet with you at 0930 tomorrow, if you wish, but not tonight. What did you wish to discuss, Ensign? FERGUSON.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Somewhat surprised by the swiftness of Ferguson's response, Kylah feels a ripple of nervousness down her spine, and she's not entirely sure why. Gnawing at her lower lip, she hesitates, then checks her duty schedule for tomorrow. As she does, she ponders about the fact that he did not mention where he wishes to meet. Honestly, she has half a mind to visit his quarters now, but considering he does outrank her, disregarding his wishes would be a poor choice... even for her.

Kylah inhales and responds:

Thank you for your swift response, Lieutenant. That time is clear for me as well. Shall we meet in one of the rec rooms, or is there a place more convenient for you? As far as what I wish to discuss:

She pauses. Her lip gets redder and somewhat sore as she continues to grind her teeth against it in thought.

As far as what I wish to discuss: this is my first posting following my graduation from the Academy, and I have little knowledge of the protocols of beaming crew members on and off a Starfleet ship. As I recall from the mission to the Sakathian research lab, your performance while transporting my group was especially noteworthy and I would greatly appreciate a better understanding of it. Thank you.

-- Ens. Kylah

She rereads the message, frets a bit about a word or two, but then sends it on its way. She's satisfied that her meaning is clear, yet also banal enough that he can hardly take offense.

Kylah hopes he'll choose a rec room or some other public place, but one where there will be some measure of privacy. She can't imagine she's at any risk--Ferguson can't be insane enough to harm someone he doesn't know--but neither can she forget the hostility and indefinable yet clear anger she sensed in that brief moment when their eyes met.

Yes, she definitely prefers a public setting, yet one quiet enough for her to get a good read on him and perhaps a straightforward answer.

Kylah stands up, then decides to take a quick shower prior to tonight's dinner. As she looks in the mirror, she suddenly shakes her head in wry amusement at her overthinking of this one incident. For all she knows, Ferguson's rationale for looking on her with such contempt might simply be that she reminds him of an ex-wife or girlfriend.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 13 Sep 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A half hour passes before Ferguson replies: Hmm. 0930 tomorrow in Rec Room 3, then. FERGUSON. Kylah is free at that time.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Oh look. Another remote scientific outpost with little published to its name. How ironic," thinks Rangin to himself before reading further on what they are up to.

Registered
    May 2013

Well that was more like what I expect from a Vulcan, Graham thinks. Maybe I was imagining the smile.

Arriving at the gym, he worries he's kept Collins waiting since she's already sparring when he arrives--nonetheless, he watches for a moment to assess the styles, strengths, and weaknesses of Collins and her opponent as much as he can before either they notice him or he says anything.

"Ah, sorry if I'm late, L-T" Graham says from the sidelines. "Don't let me stop you beating the hell out of each other, though. It's never a bad thing for your opponent to be as tired, bruised, and battered as possible. Of course I'll also take kind of hungry, a little sick or mentally preoccupied, anytime as well--little things that are the 'icing on the cake' that tilt the odds in one’s favor."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins sees Graham out the corner of her eye, but stays focused on the bout. In between thrusts and parries, and punctuated by the clang of metal, she says "You weren't here." "Nivens offered." "I'm just." "Blowing off steam." "Maybe." "Next time." "Big deal dinner." "Tonight". and with that she makes a definitive lunge towards her opponent, intending to end the bout.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah decides what to do before dinner, trying not to let her meeting tomorrow morning with Ferguson distract her too much.

Rangin sees that Starfleet is conducting research in gerontology, coronary heart disease, organ regeneration and radiation sickness at the Omicron Ceti III research station, which is on the planet's surface. Nothing especially flashy has come out of the research since the planet was colonized a second time.

Nivens dodges, but not fast enough, and Collins lands a solid hit on his abdomen. He grunts in pain. He drops his sword, the signal for surrender under Antarean rules, and says, "You got me, ma'am. That would've gutted me for sure. Good match." They doff their helmets and shake hands. Nivens asks Graham with a grin, "Want to take on the winner?"

Each of you sees, or will see when you next check your comm account, a reminder from the Captain's Yeoman that the senior officers' dinner requires dress uniform.

Registered
    May 2013

"I'm game," Graham says. He turns toward Collins. "That is unless the L-T wants to quit while she's ahead."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Smiling, Collins says "Rain check that, Ensign. I have to go get ready." That was one helluva work out, she thinks, a nice hot shower will be welcome before dinner. "Tomorrow after watch?" she turns back asks as she picks up her towel and heads to the changing room.

Registered
    May 2013

"You're the boss," Graham says, good-naturedly. He's relieved she doesn't seem irritated he was late. His mood sours when h's reminded of the dinner: more social B.S., he thinks. He'll be relieved when he can start his shift on foot patrol tomorrow. He gives Vargas credit for sticking with an old-school tradition; moreover, there have been Graham's walking foot patrol since his ancestors were beat cops in Boston in the 1900's. It's something he know, likes--and does well.

But in the meantime...he thinks... Graham checks the time: if he has enough time to squeeze it in before cleaning up and dressing for dinner, he'll do a quick, intense plyometric workout. He doubts he'll be doing any long-distance running while on the ship, but quick bursts of speed and power that surprise, disorient, and overwhelm always come in handy on the job.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Now wrapped in a towel, Kylah gets out her dress uniform--which she's never worn, of course--and holds it up to view it critically. It's very plain compared to even everyday outfits on Elas, but the glint of gold braid on the cuffs, neckline and hem pleases her eyes. She's rather surprised to realize how much she's missed some of the pomp and finery of her former existance.

There are still two hours left. Since not even the most elaborate Elasian formal hairstyle would require two hours of prep time--well, not any of the styles she's able or even wishes to create herself--Kylah decides to take a quick nap. Her insomnia over the past few weeks has left her constantly in need of more sleep, and she doesn't want to risk yawning through an important dinner with a Starfleet bigwig. She sets her alarm for one hour and, still dressed in her towel, slips beneath the covers. Trying to avoid any thoughts of Ferguson, Sakathians, slime devils or uncles, she closes her eyes and concentrates on the most pleasant experience she's had recently: her time on shore leave, walking with Velir Rangin in the starlight.
    Last edited by choie; 13 Sep 2013 at 10:32 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

At the end of his watch, Rangin files the notes for working on the following day, heads back to his quarters for a wash and then and to get ready for dinner.

It has been a while since he last wore dress uniform, but it still fits reasonable well. He wonders how everyone else will look, dressed in their finest.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You each appear in the Wardroom on Deck 2 for dinner at the appointed hour. Stewards are circulating with trays bearing appetizers, glasses of wine (Chateau Picard ‘50 and a more recent vintage of Dorwinion chablis, most notably) and other refreshments. Classical music plays over hidden speakers.

The other senior staff is already gathering.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 10 Jun 2018 at 12:50 PM.

Closed thread