+ Reply to thread

Thread: Royal Birth Watching

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Royal Birth Watching

Its gone baby crazy over here, wall-to-wall news coverage waiting for a special baby to be born. No, not baby Jesus MK II, but the likely to be ruler of Great Britain (in whatever form it is in in 50 years or so).

The updates on it are getting a little ridiculous on just about every stage that someone could go through before giving birth. There is a massive media scrum outside the hospital with media from all over the globe.

I feel really sorry for Kate knowing that a large chunk of the world is hanging on every contraction, groan and push. Twitter is probably going to blow up when it happens. Various buildings have already said that they will be turning pink or blue once the gender is known.

The republicans (anti-monarchists, not the USA political party) are hating it. They are really hoping it is not female as well, because a large part of law is going to be re-written and modernised.

Personally, I just wish her all the best and hope the baby is healthy.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I just was told it's a boy.

All the best to the happy parents, I'm sure.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, congrats to the Duke and Duchess. Glad the delivery seems to have gone smoothly. My bet: they'll name the boy Philip, after his recently-ailing great-grandfather.

NPR said today that The Gaurniad, sorry, The Guardian's website has a button (marked "Republican" for Brits, and "Non-Royalist" for Yanks) for those who want to opt out of all Royal baby news.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Grauniad - yes that bastion of republicanism in the UK, who still carried huge amounts of news on it and a live ticker, because they know the other 90% of the UK are monarchists at this time.

As for the republicans, they replaced the picture of Kate with a picture of Morrissey. Sad, really.

I'll be honest, it's gone a little ballistic over here with the amount of news. You can hardly move for someone mentioning it. Not to mention the amount of messages around the world about a single baby being born. I'm hoping it blows over in a couple of days, if only for the sake of the parents, even though they have to put up with it day in, day out.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

I haven't heard about Georgy boy for a few hours. Is he OK????

Registered
    Feb 2009

He's fine.

Although it seems the Scottish separatists independents don't want him as the future monarch of Scotland and want another referendum to make that point clear.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

OMG NOW THERE'S A GIRL ONE! The media are leeching off her, too.

Registered
    Sep 2009

But of course. If Americans know anything about the UK, it's (a) bad food, (b) they're our pals on most foreign policy issues and (c) they have a Royal Family.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yup, behold the spare, Princess Charlotte.

+ Reply to thread