+ Reply to thread

Thread: Monday Wut Wut: Misplaced Singers

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Monday Wut Wut: Misplaced Singers

It's gloriously hot over here. St Swithin's was sunny so we are set fair for the next 40 days. 30 degrees in the shade and everyone is going lobster. The skies are clear, the wind gentle and everyone has headed for the beach. Which is great if you are headed round the shops, because no-one else is. And it's in one of these shops, listening to the piped muzak, I heard the weirdest thing.

Now, I know what you're saying, its piped muzak and bears little to no resemblance to the original song just so they can get away with being minimal royalties for the song. But sometimes, bad warbling isn't the worst of it.

The song playing was " " by the Kinks, which is about a "romantic" encounter in Soho. It's a good song as well. But then I realised, the person singing it was female and hadn't changed any of the lyrics. Suddenly, from being a clever song, it made no sense.

Some songs you can get away with - see Tiffany and " .", which isn't that great, but likeable enough in a cheesy, infectious, 80's big hair pop, way.

But anyway, there is no reason a reverse gender Lola could have been just as good as the original. Nowadays, several of the roles have been reversed or could be filled in a slightly different way, so it's quite possible. But listening to it as it was, just left me feeling as if I had been in the sun for too long.

I think I'll stick to the original for now.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So it becomes about a girl who thinks she's dancing with another girl, but she's actually dancing with a man?

That's kind of subversive fun, actually.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Muzak has singing? I thought it was all instrumental.

I was sleepy but managed to stay awake for the Daily Show last night. John Oliver is the substitute host while Jon Stewart is off for 6 weeks working on a film. He is a solid fill-in but last night was fairly awesome when the power went down and John did the interview on hand cams, as a bonus the interviewee was Aaron Sorkin's who was promoting his HBO show about a news team. They had a lot of fun with the situation and John kept apologizing to Jon Stewart over breaking his show.

Aaron Sorkin's Arrival Breaks 'The Daily Show' Set (VIDEO)

Last night I ordered a pair of bows for the family. We're going to be doing some backyard target shooting. I was surprised by how cheap the recurve bows were and how pricey everything else associated with archery is. We had an old heavy duty safety net though left over from the trampoline Hurricane Sandy tried to destroyed that will make a good backdrop for the target. I will make the first target and stand and my daughter will make the first paper targets. The bows are a cheaper fiberglass model 10lb for less than $20 and a 22lb for around $40. (PSE Snake 60" Recurve Bow). Getting a dozen arrows brought the total to just under $100 with free shipping. Not too bad.

We were shooting while on vacation at a dude ranch and this Sunday past with a park system program. My son and I were having a lot of fun and I was shooting pretty well. My son is a fair shot already and has potential to be a good shot. I last did archery about 24 year ago.

I was original going to build a small straw bale wall but it seems they go for $10 each locally which is nuts. The arrow nets run about $400 and I was beginning to rethink the whole idea of backyard archery, then I remembered I had that old safety net. My son and I dragged it out and hosed it off last night. We seriously disturbed a large mouse colony.

Oh, I started a diet on Memorial Day, (May 27th). I've lost 18 pounds so far. It is all portion control (without calorie counting) and light exercise. At this rate it will take me til next Memorial Day to reach my big goal but at least it is working. Hopefully I have made the lifestyle change I need to. My knees are feeling better and my clothes are starting to get loose. I hoping to get all the way down to 170 but will settle for 190.

+ Reply to thread