+ Reply to thread

Thread: Google Glass Privacy?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Google Glass Privacy?

It seems that Google are determined to roll out their latest toy, if indeed a $1000 pair of glasses can be called such. Google Glass, with the camera lens, permanent internet connection and general all round spying capabilitiy is about to hit the street.

For starters, it seems that anyone who does buy a pair, is not allowed to pass them on to anyone else, let friends try them out and so on.

The other interesting question is where would you be allowed to wear them. Having someone around with a permanent camera attached to the side of their head may seem cool, but I can think of plenty of places they should not be allowed.

So, would anyone want a pair of them to wear and use, or is it a step to far on people's privacy and where would you expect these glasses to be removed?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Cybermen:
    Step 1: Blue Tooth
    Step 2: Google Glass?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I would have no interest in these. I had Lasik done to not have to wear glasses after 20+ years of wearing them. They don't really sound all that useful as if they catch on people in public will become even more obnoxious as they keep up a constant verbal annoyance giving commands to their Google device.

That said, they will probably become immensely popular to my disgust.

Registered
    Feb 2009

They probably will become highly desirable, although I can see a lot of bars and restaurants banning them.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Just remember to do the following things the first time you see someone wearing them:
    1.) Yell "Glass! Image search: diarrhea, safe search off!
    2.) Run.

One of MS researchers who spent years wearing a PC has said that people are going to screw their eyes up badly because they'll be looking up and to the right all the time.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    They probably will become highly desirable, although I can see a lot of bars and restaurants banning them.
    Courts and maybe government offices, too.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Only a matter of time before such a device is seamlessly integrated into either standard pair of glasses or contact lenses, then it's going to be all but impossible to preclude people using them. Then again, tiny pen cameras, spy cams etc. have been around for years and few people seem to use them nor do they seem to be of much concern beyond say secure areas in government/military establishments. Dash cams and helmet cams for bicyclists do seem to be steadily rising in popularity, albeit from a still low base. The Russian meteor a while back highlighted how ubiquitous dash cams have become in Russia for example, but that's due to a particular set of social circumstances that makes Russians feel they need to have them.

As for privacy, you can presume to have privacy outside your own home anyway. Especially in the UK, but Ireland and the US aren't all that far behind in that regard, CCTV is ubiquitous and people who have phones that can record video if something vaguely interesting occurs are all around you.

I know that when iPods (and other easily portable mass storage devices) became popular there was concern in some quarters about the ability of people to easily copy sensitive files from government computers. What precautions were taken I don't know but it's not a concern I've seen raised in a long time.

+ Reply to thread