+ Reply to thread

Thread: And off he goes...

Registered
    Feb 2013

Default And off he goes...

I'm watching the Pope leave Vatican City. Can't say I'll miss him...hope they do a better job picking the next guy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

But Sarah....didn't the Holy Spirit pick him?

Registered
    Feb 2013

Ha ha, got me there! I have no idea what the Holy Spirit was thinking, but then I am just a lowly layperson and am not meant to understand such Mysteries.

It's kind of cool seeing the helicopter fly over the Coliseum. Rome is really a fascinating place.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

What surprised me was that there were people under 40 there to wave him off. I'm not even being snarky here, it's just beyond my experience to know anyone my age that believes in much of anything.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wiki has an interesting article on what happens next: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_conclave

Although I'm not Catholic, I've always been interested in the history, politics and structure of the Vatican. I hope the next Pope is a good bit more liberal than this one... but considering the electorate, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Registered
    Mar 2009

You're not Catholic??? I broke bread (well pints) with you!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I saw a headline where he apparently said something about "I will be a pilgrim". I thought "So he's going to walk the earth like Caine in Kung Fu? That, actually, would be cool."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    You did, and we had a great time, didn't we?

I'm Episcopalian - the American offshoot of the Church of England. As the old joke goes when comparing us to Catholicism, "Gilt without the guilt": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episcop...United_States)
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Mar 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    You did, and we had a great time, didn't we?

I'm Episcopalian - the American offshoot of the Church of England. As the old joke goes when comparing us to Catholicism, "Gilt without the guilt": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episcop...United_States)
    Yeah it was a good laugh. Hopefully I'll make it to NEO again sometime soon.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Being Pope Was Great, But You Can’t Play Make-Believe Forever By Benedict XVI
    Hey, everyone has to grow up eventually—it’s just a part of life. And several weeks ago, I decided it was time for me to finally move on and put all this pretend, fantasy stuff behind me.

Don’t get me wrong, serving as pope was loads of fun. For starters, as pontiff you’re always treated very well, you get to live in a palace, and millions of adoring people gather to hear you tell all sorts of silly old stories about a super-powerful being and other made-up nonsense about everlasting life in paradise. It’s enjoyable, it’s not particularly difficult, and you can say whatever you want. It really is a fun gig. You basically get to come into work and act like a little kid playing pretend.
    Or, maybe it was the "lemon parties" that inspired him to quit.
    Benedict is resigning after being handed a secret red-covered dossier that included details about a network of gay priests who work inside the Vatican, but who play in secular Rome. The priests, it seems, are allegedly being blackmailed by a network of male prostitutes who worked at a sauna in Rome’s Quarto Miglio district, a health spa in the city center, and a private residence once entrusted to a prominent archbishop. The evidence reportedly includes compromising photos and videos of the prelates—sometimes caught on film in drag, and, in some cases, caught “in the act.”
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Feb 2009

If that story about the blackmail dossier is true, I can imagine him reading it, reading it again, and then just going: "Fuck. This. Shit."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Walked...or pushed. Given all the stories currently, its possible the cardinals had a quick chat with him about church, disrepute and his legacy.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Remember that he could remove any of the cardinals who had such a "quick chat" with him from their cushy posts and send them to be parish priests in some Third World hellhole. No, I really do think he left of his own free will. He saw the long decline of John Paul II first-hand, and decided that was not for him - and that a repeat would not be good for the Church, either.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    If that story about the blackmail dossier is true, I can imagine him reading it, reading it again, and then just going: "Fuck. This. Shit."
    Someone commenting about it today said, "Man, when even the Pope gives up on the Catholic Church, you know there's problems!"
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Feb 2009

So the new guy is an Argentinian. Huh. And he calls himself Francis I. Huh. And he's a Jesuit. Huh.

Registered
    Feb 2009

He also lives frugally and is 76 years old.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Prelim, looks like a much better choice then the Nazi-Youth Prior Pope.
    Hope he moves the church forward in a good way.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Kind of appropriate for the ex-Nazi to be followed by an Argentinian.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just after the white smoke appeared over the Sistine Chapel, I had NYTimes.com, CNN.com and Wikipedia.org all open on my browser, refreshing one after the other. Wiki had the new Pope's birthname and papal name before the other two. Amazing.

Just this morning I told a Catholic friend I had a hunch that it would be a Latin American. Woohoo!

So: Very conservative (anti-gay marriage, anti-gay adoption, anti-abortion), but concerned about the poor. NBC's Vatican correspondent said Francis is known as a champion of democracy and a good manager, both of which are encouraging. Wonder how an Argentine Pope will impact the continuing dispute over the Falklands/Malvinas?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Tuckerfan View post
    Kind of appropriate for the ex-Nazi to be followed by an Argentinian.
    Completely alas. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...military-junta

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, it looks a very interesting choice of Pope, with several firsts thrown into the bargain. I was watching all the pomp and ceremony last Night on the Beeb, it was quite intriguing thinking that this election is, in some ways, more important than the POTUS election.

As for the Falklands, its not good news on the British front, he looks to be highly sympathetic to Kirchner on that topic.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hopefully he'll recognize his global responsibilities and not stoop to favoring one nation over another in a territorial dispute - especially since IMHO his birth country is in the wrong.

Registered
    Feb 2009

On the plus side, he seems like a humble guy.
    You’d think after being declared Bishop of Rome and leader of the world’s 1.2 billion Roman Catholics that a little something like a hotel bill might escape notice.

But not for the former Argentinian Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who swung by a Church-run boardinghouse Thursday morning — the day after he was introduced as Pope Francis to cheering Vatican City crowd numbering in the tens of thousands — to pick up his tab, reports Reuters.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely an appealing characteristic.

On other issues, not so much: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2869221.html

+ Reply to thread