+ Reply to thread

Thread: RIP: Sir Patrick Moore

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default RIP: Sir Patrick Moore

Most of you may not have heard about him, but he was the world’s longest-running presenter of a single television show: the Sjy at Night, which give most people their first glimpse of astronomy. It first started in 1957 and he was still going until recently.

He was also known for being the "Gamesmaster", in the series of the same name, which for a lot of kids was the first fun show on TV for video games.

He will definitely be missed, xylophone playing and all.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I had just recently been reading something about him, too. He was used as an example of how an amateur scientist can influence, educate and bring about innovation.

Truly a man of many and varied talents. RIP
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm pretty sure one former mello claimed he was an ole racist but anyway I was a big fan of his when I was a kid, any passion I've had for the night skies has been helped along immensely by his books and shows.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, he apparently had some strong feelings about Germans.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

He may well have done, but he'd have hardly been the only one of his generation to feel that way. I'd rather judge the man by his books and his other work. Back in the mid 1990s I was working in Portsmouth for a spell, which was not far from Selsey where he lived, and I pondered once or twice dropping him a line and asking if he'd mind a visit from an admirer. Wish I'd been less shy about it now.
    Librarians rule, Oook

+ Reply to thread