+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Edenbridge Effigy

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default The Edenbridge Effigy

Edenbridge bonfire society have a great way to celebrate Guy Fawkes' Night by having a celebrity effigy burnt each year.

This year, its the turn of Lance Armstrong, after all the doping allegations, mixed up with a Jim'll Fix it Badge following all the Jimmy Saville controversy that has had the BBC in a tizzy over the last few weeks.

Should look good on a bonfire.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Man, I never heard of Jimmy Savile till all this broke. Now I'm

Apparently everybody who was anybody knew what he was up to, but because of his connections and the English libel laws, nobody did squat.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jimmy Saville was always a creepy guy and everyone thought so. There were lots of rumours and it seemed that peiople really did know what was happening, but due to the era and his stature, no-one was going to do anything.

It's not just the libel laws, it was his charity and media connections that helped. But now, everyone is denying they knew more than just the rumours.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's funny, you think "Ah, anymore, there's not that much difference between Britain, the United States and Canada." Then you find out about this guy, and you start to go "Buh, buh, buh...."

I've read that HM and the P of W are furious that Palace security didn't tip them off about the dangers of giving Saville pretty much free access to the Royals.

+ Reply to thread