+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hurricane Sandra

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Hurricane Sandra

For anyone on the board in its path, stay safe. It looks like is going to have a massive impact across the eastern seaboard.

I can see why this one is being called a "FrankenStorm" though, as so many things have combined to make it far more powerful than it should be.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

We're hunkered down. Schools closed and even my company is closed. My sister is retreating from the shore at about 2pm to here with her dogs. We have as much secured as possible and food, water, batteries ready. Phones are charged. I have 4 propane tanks to run our little generator to power our sump pump & Fridge.

We should be safe and can only hope for the best at this point. I do expect to have some flooding in the basement but nothing we can't handle. I also figure we will lose power at some point. I hope I'm wrong.

I even have the wood stove loaded and ready to light. Not much left to do.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well stay safe. I'm amazed at how big an area is being impacted by this storm.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Here in NE Ohio, we've had high winds since early this evening, but rain and cold since early Sat. No power interruption for us, although I saw some streetlights out on my drive home.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No power except for my small generator but we came through the hurricane OK. We ran up to Woodbridge Mall today for lunch and lighting.

We have some trees done but nothing vital was hit. The kids trampoline took a bad beating but that is fairly minor. I already repairs the damage to the Wood Stove pipe and where the water got in around the chimney.

Turned out that when the roofers repaired the roof after the tree fell on us last year, they forgot to caulk around the chimney. No problem until Sandy though.

My generator is propane and I did get two more tanks of propane today at least. I do need gas for my car but at least it is a Prius and I have 2 gallons of gas in the garage for the lawn mower I can take with me to work tomorrow and use in case I don't find gas. 2 gallons is almost 100 miles range.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Keep your chin up, What Exit! Hope you get power back soon.

Still cold and rainy here. The wind has died down and it just feels like a typical rainy fall night.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well we still have no power all this time later. The generator might be acting up that was keeping the heat up. A nor'easter is threatening to pound the area again tomorrow and Thursday. The level of suck of this event is epic.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow Jim, that sucks big time. I thought for sure you'd have power by now.

Hang in there.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Jeez, Jim, I'm sorry. Maybe time to go inland to a hotel? PM me if I can help.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That is bad. Here's hoping things pick up sooner rather than later.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Finally after 11 days and about 15 minutes, the lights came on. So far the only electrical losses appear to be a pair of craftsman 19.2V chargers. More large branches came down last night with the heavy wet snow but no damage to the house so far. It looks like we did OK and just have a big mess to clean up. Worst problem now is the boiler is acting up. I can try to change the nozzle and filter tomorrow.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Whew! Glad you've got the juice back. Hope things work out for you, and better days are ahead. We're all pulling for you.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Why did our forebears in these isles think that god-forsaken continent was worth it?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Finally after 11 days and about 15 minutes, the lights came on. So far the only electrical losses appear to be a pair of craftsman 19.2V chargers. More large branches came down last night with the heavy wet snow but no damage to the house so far. It looks like we did OK and just have a big mess to clean up. Worst problem now is the boiler is acting up. I can try to change the nozzle and filter tomorrow.
    Very glad to hear you have power now. I imagine the big mess to clean up is going to take a long, long time, but it'll be easier with one less thing to worry about!
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

New problem, lack of chain saw bar oil in the stores and I am very low. This though is a minor problem.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Want me to send you some? PM me with details, if so.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Want me to send you some? PM me with details, if so.
    Thank you so much, but I should be good by Saturday when I need it. I'm going to a Builder's General today at lunch and they apparently have some.

Registered
    Sep 2009

OK. Good luck.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    OK. Good luck.
    Got my chain oil. 2 new chains should arrive today and a set of compound loppers. Now just need reasonable weather this weekend and we can attack the trees in earnest.

Next trick is a good trick, finding a worthy local org to donate to as I can stand giving money to the Red Cross that eats so much of it in salaries and overhead. I'm leaning towards either the local food bank or one of the orgs that popped up following the storm that is actually out there helping people.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well after some research I decided to donate to the charity set up by NJ's First Lady to help the state.
    sandynjrelieffund.org/index.html
    Last edited by What Exit?; 14 Nov 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks like a worthwhile cause, nice one.

+ Reply to thread