+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Nobel Peace Prize: Trophy or Travesty?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default The Nobel Peace Prize: Trophy or Travesty?

This year, the Nobel prize committee went one better than most other years and awarded the Nobel Peace Prize to the EU. Not any particular part of the EU, not some people in it, but the entire conglomerate.

I wasn't aware that the EU had actually prevented any wars or troubles and had helped the cause of peace in any way. I may be mistaken.

I have seen plenty of riots in several countries caused by the locals disagreeing with the EU and its one-size-fits-all policies. Not exactly peaceful, really.

The breakup of Yugoslavia was a UN intervention not EU, and I can't think of anything else they might have done. Can anyone think of why they deserve it?

I wonder what next, the prize to GW Bush for leading the charge for peace against terrorism? Don't laugh

So who would be a better recipient, or is it time to retire this one until someone does something that actually warrants the prize?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, France and Germany arguing with each other instead of shelling each other probably is worth something.

Maybe the Committee just wanted to remind people of that.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I think the Committee was taking the long view; people too quickly forget the blood-drenched history of Europe. Certainly the EU has not been all that impressive lately.

The Peace Prize has often been controversial. Henry Kissinger got one, after all, and there are still plenty of people who think he shouldn't have. Barack Obama was awarded one not long after he moved into the White House, and as much as I like him, I think it would've been better had he respectfully declined. He hadn't done enough by then to earn one, and arguably he still hasn't.

+ Reply to thread