+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bill would ban parents from "curing" gay kids

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Bill would ban parents from "curing" gay kids

http://now.msn.com/bill-would-ban-pa...-cure-gay-kids

A new bill that’s the first of its kind has opinion hotly divided in California, this time over whether parents can be banned from trying to “cure” their gay children. Senate Bill 1172, which would prohibit all “sexual orientation change efforts” for minors, is through the legislature and slated to land on the governor's desk in September. Proponents argue the state law would protect civil rights, pointing to studies that show kids who undergo the reparative therapy are more likely than other kids to suffer from depression, drug abuse and suicide attempts. Opponents say the bill violates freedom of speech, as well as parents' rights to govern their own children.
    I am 100% for this bill, but it's facing opposition because no one likes being told what to do with their kids. However, I think this is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. We put laws in place to protect minors. You can't beat your kids for misbehaving. You can't force them to work dangerous, day-long jobs in the mills anymore. We're cracking down 'prayer healing' and things like that.

Where this sort of "reparative therapy" has been proven to be ineffective at best and harmful at worst, I think we're within our rights as a society to pass a law saying no, you can't force your kids to do this.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I would tend to favor this bill. But then I am not even overly fond of current homeschooling rules in many states. The lack of standards are appalling to me. So I'm probably one of those nannystate people the opponents of this bill hate.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I would support the bill, but I can certainly understand the opposition to it. Parents are rightfully jealous of their prerogatives.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hypothetically, let's just say there's a magic pill that makes people straight without any psychological damage.

Anyone who thinks it's fine for minors to take one is insane. Anyone who thinks parents should be able to force these pills on their kids needs to be isolated and studied by a crack team of psychologists.

Of course, no such pill could exist - just knowing that you weren't "good enough" for your parents the way you were would do anyone's head in. So yeah, basically if an impossibly sanitised version of something is still morally reprehensible, it should be banned. Not a difficult decision.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Since I think anti-gay reeducation camps and the like are pretty obviously child abuse, I'm only sad that a law is necessary to point that out.

+ Reply to thread