+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things you've learned from work that weren't work-related

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Things you've learned from work that weren't work-related

I was reminiscing about previous jobs when I started thinking about how one of them taught me an important skill for this one:

Even if you're a total introvert who hates mornings, fake a smile and say 'morning' or 'hi' to people. I got dinged at my annual review - that I never had again in my four years of working there - for 'bad attitude'. Everyone here is really friendly and it makes a nice workplace, so I fake it (and assume a bunch of them are as well).

One other one:

I will never again work at a place that doesn't have a time clock or some other set policy for tracking hours. The two places I did were unorganized, chaotic messes and the time clock was a big red flag for that (the one, the boss' wife was too lazy to figure out hours - and I don't know why they didn't just use a payroll company - so everyone was salary. The other, all the resources I needed for my job were just dumped in folders or cabinets, the two bosses yelled at each other all the time, they let their kids come in at night and play games - including installing stuff - on the company computers, etc...)

Y'all?
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That being crazy doesn't mean you can't have power.

That occasionally springing a few bucks for donuts will buy you an amazing amount of good will.

Registered
    Mar 2009

When your co-worker bails on the job halfway through training you, that is not a place you want to work. Run.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Even the big cheese might not wash his hands after he uses the bathroom.

Don't microwave any seafood for lunch. It can be stinky.

Always have a book or magazine with you in case you have unavoidable downtime.

Either "We've always done it that way" and "We've never done it that way before" can kill any good idea.

When in doubt, put it in writing.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

People can have a variety of advance degrees and still not be capable of figuring out a fax machine.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's astounding to me but there are people who really will steal someone else's lunch right out of the break room refrigerator.

Registered
    Mar 2009

There's no such thing as a difficult conversation if trust goes both ways.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Registered
    Mar 2009

If you cover enough shifts, your scheduling manager will eventually just give up and give you more hours. At least, if he's smart.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

People can be dicks but most people are sound once you have what they want.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just about any proposal you make that involves your supervisor doing less work will be approved.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Offered a paid trip to a conference? Say yes, always say yes.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That there are still openly, loud-mouthedly xenophobic people living in the most diverse part of the city.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That some men are oblivious to the difference between professional courtesy and sexual availability.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

People really will treat you like a subhuman troglodyte if you happen to be working behind a fast food counter, cash register, or customer service desk.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    People really will treat you like a subhuman troglodyte if you happen to be working behind a fast food counter, cash register, or customer service desk.
    That everybody on earth should have to work these types of jobs for at least a while in order for human kind to progress to proper civility.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Amen.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That some dads are great. A man was in with his son of about 10. His dad bought him a rake of kids' novels the kid picked out. The kid was absolutely delighted and very polite. They made my day. It's rare, in my shop at least, for a parent not to say "PUT IT BACK!!!!" when a kid picks up a book. Think the dad realised that reading is something that probably should be encouraged.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    That some dads are great. A man was in with his son of about 10. His dad bought him a rake of kids' novels the kid picked out. The kid was absolutely delighted and very polite. They made my day. It's rare, in my shop at least, for a parent not to say "PUT IT BACK!!!!" when a kid picks up a book. Think the dad realised that reading is something that probably should be encouraged.

Ah, that's great. There's a lot of things you can say no to your kid about, but if he wants a book, and you can afford it, I say go for it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post

Ah, that's great. There's a lot of things you can say no to your kid about, but if he wants a book, and you can afford it, I say go for it.

+ Reply to thread