+ Reply to thread

Thread: 'The Hobbit' now requires as many movies as the entirety of LOTR

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default 'The Hobbit' now requires as many movies as the entirety of LOTR

This is fucking ridiculous.

Making The Hobbit into 2 movies was already a stretch; this is just an insulting, transparent money-grab.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ain't it now? A breezy little children's book stretched out over three movies. Sheesh.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"The tale grew in the telling", my ass. Is there any chance this isn't going to end up being a bloated mess?

Registered
    Sep 2009

The early trailers and the making-of blogs look pretty good. I have a lot of confidence in PJ (despite quite a few nits to pick in LOTR) and know he'll give a trilogy his best shot. He wouldn't have asked for more work, I suspect (and hope), if he didn't have some good ideas that he wanted to see realized on screen.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's going to be LOTR all over again, with even more non-Hobbit related filler. Probably the driving of the Witch-King from Dol Goldur, Glorfindels prophecy to tie it in to the other movies and other such goodies thrown in.

The first film will be fantastic, pretty true to the story and end on a great cliffhanger, probably under the Misty Mountains. The second will be a mixture of the escape from the elves, backplot, exposition and the first encounter with Smaug. The third will will be a long drawn out mess containing at least hours worth of stuff that could be cut without hurting the main plot, the defeat of Smaug, the battle of the five armies and then probably more stuiff on the way home.

If he really wanted to do another movie, he should be doing the Scouring of the Shire instead.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    If he really wanted to do another movie, he should be doing the Scouring of the Shire instead.
    YES!!!!!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    The early trailers and the making-of blogs look pretty good. I have a lot of confidence in PJ (despite quite a few nits to pick in LOTR) and know he'll give a trilogy his best shot. He wouldn't have asked for more work, I suspect (and hope), if he didn't have some good ideas that he wanted to see realized on screen.
    I had confidence in him, even though I was dubious about the 2 movies plan. This new announcement has lessened that confidence. I feel like he wants to add as much stuff as he can, and there's no one around to tell him 'no'.

And I don't think for one second that Jackson would be this interested in expanding on The Hobbit if Christopher Tolkien didn't have the rest of the Middle Earth Legendarium under lock and key.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    ...And I don't think for one second that Jackson would be this interested in expanding on The Hobbit if Christopher Tolkien didn't have the rest of the Middle Earth Legendarium under lock and key.
    That may be, and it's a shame. The rise and fall of Numenor would make a kickass movie, I think.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The problem is I can see PJ adding his "interpretation" of events instead of following the story.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The problem is I can see PJ adding his "interpretation" of events instead of following the story.
    He will and that part won't be great. I am going to hope for the best though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've only seen bits and pieces of the movies. It seems like I always come in at some part where PJ has added some inspiration of his own, and it's always something that makes some stupid, high school cynical revision to Tolkien's story. The movies no doubt look great, but I can't watch them.

Registered
    Mar 2009

One can dream. That really would have been fantastic.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    One can dream. That really would have been fantastic.
    I just can't see Peter Jackson being able to make the kind of return that the books have for the hobbits. I'm wondering if that is why he missed it out.

It doesn't fit with the fairy tale that he made out of the rest of the book.

+ Reply to thread