+ Reply to thread

Thread: So, the kid's taking the subway by himself

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default So, the kid's taking the subway by himself

Summer vacation's started, his mother and I are both at work today, and he want to see his best friend.

Got left at home by himself, and was crossing the street and takin the subway by himself.

I hope everything's fine. He's been capable of doing this since he was three, in all honesty, but it's still a big moment.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

So how did it go? Any problems? How old is your son?

We grapple with the possibility of letting our son make the journey from Jakarta, Indonesia to Albany, NY by himself in the summer for his CTY class. (It's hugely expensive and time consuming for a parent to drop him off and pick him up.) It involves so many plane transfers and so many points where disaster could strike (a missed connection, the need to stay overnight in a strange city) that we are extremely reluctant to do it. But, next summer he will be 15 ... we'll see ...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Made it and back. No problems. He's 11.

Really, I know he's a tough little urbanite with an expert knowledge of public transportation, but it's hard not to worry a bit.
    Just a bit, though. There'd be more to worry about if we weren't letting him face life.

Wish you the best in your decision, Hat.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Hatshepsut View post
    So how did it go? Any problems? How old is your son?

We grapple with the possibility of letting our son make the journey from Jakarta, Indonesia to Albany, NY by himself in the summer for his CTY class. (It's hugely expensive and time consuming for a parent to drop him off and pick him up.) It involves so many plane transfers and so many points where disaster could strike (a missed connection, the need to stay overnight in a strange city) that we are extremely reluctant to do it. But, next summer he will be 15 ... we'll see ...
    At 14 (if I'm reading right) I suspect your kid would be fine with such an intinerary. You just gotta explain no fucking around or no allowance until end of time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post
    Made it and back. No problems. He's 11.

Really, I know he's a tough little urbanite with an expert knowledge of public transportation, but it's hard not to worry a bit.
    Just a bit, though. There'd be more to worry about if we weren't letting him face life.

Wish you the best in your decision, Hat.
    I don't think I went into the city at 11, but definitely at 12. I used to carry a pocket knife (unbeknownst to my folks) for protection but nothing much happened. I got mugged though when I was 14 for the princely sum of £20. The night it happened I was really upset but after that I was always at ease in the city, if that's the worst that can happen I can live with it. Anyway well done to your kid on another milestone to totalling dad's car or whatever it is that marks the actual passage to adulthood in North America.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

How exciting, Rube! The kiddos are all growing up...can't believe yours is old enough to take the subway by himself.

We're having Sassy's 8th birthday part today, and Happy Babby isn't a Babby anymore...he's starting kindergarten in the fall. Time flies.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's getting to be fairly routine, at least for him. I still worry a bit, although I try not to let on to him.

I think he has a pretty good time, getting around on his own, maybe getting a snack and a drink at the donut shop in the subway terminal.

I kinda envy him, really.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ah that's cool.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So yesterday he was home by himself, and decided that the refrigerator could use some stocking. He took some of his own money and went shopping.

Four packages of wieners, two cans of Spam and a Pepsi.

A for self-reliance, D for nutrition.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Man I'm coming around for dinner sometime.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

All you need is some Mac & Cheese, and you're all set.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Now that school's started, he's going back and forth every day by public transportation. He's already developed routines.

He tells me that every day, he watches the same guy in a Beemer honk at pedestrians.

I wonder if the guy in the Beemer even realizes he does that every day. If he does, I wonder if he realizes that he's a tool.

Registered
    Mar 2009

A circadian cock.

Registered
    Feb 2009

And last night, when he was home from school and my wife was stuck at work, he started supper.

OK, he had a lot of trouble with the electric can opener, and had only gotten as far as getting one can of tomato paste into a saucepan and boiling water, but he was trying.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

How considerate!

+ Reply to thread