+ Reply to thread

Thread: R.I.P Ray Bradbury

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default R.I.P Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury, one of the best sci-fi authors has sadly passed away aged 91.

May his works be forever unburnable.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I loved a lot of his work. It would be nice to believe that he's now out plucking the golden apples of the sun.

Too bad he turned into such an old crank about so much stuff, but I suppose old crankdom awaits us all, if we live long enough.

Registered
    Mar 2009

To old crankdom. :toast:

There's little science-fiction today that can't be said to have been influenced by him, one way or another. He was one of the greats.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

91? That's a pretty good run. And he did get to watch the "fuck me, Ray Bradbury" video before he died.

He was awesome - my 14-year-old is discovering that now.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not a surprise, given his age and poor health, but still a shame. A very, very talented writer and a giant of American - hell, world - science fiction. As a young Midwesterner reading his stories, I sometimes felt he was talking directly to me; The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man and The October Country are longtime favorites of mine.

His fierce resistance to censorship was well ahead of its time. Several years ago, I had the chance to listen in on a live phone conference with him, discussing Fahrenheit 451. He was smart, puckish and delightful, of course, just as I expected.

May he rest in peace.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Registered
    Aug 2012

I just finished reading Farenheit 451 the other day and I've been looking to read more of Bradbury's work. I'd appreciate it if you kindly let me know what books you quote from.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by gerwyn1986 View post
    I just finished reading Farenheit 451 the other day and I've been looking to read more of Bradbury's work. I'd appreciate it if you kindly let me know what books you quote from.
    I'd say you could never go wrong reading The Martian Chronicles. He's probably at the best in his short stories, and there are many collections. Have you read "A Sound of Thunder"? There's a reason why it's become a cliche.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by gerwyn1986 View post
    I named my favorites in post 5.

+ Reply to thread