+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Orual's Big Summer Movie Thread

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Orual's Big Summer Movie Thread

Because I want a place to ramble on about the movies I see.

I believe we all know the awesomeness of The Avengers, so instead I will start with ...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Snow White & the Huntsman

This movie was not as awesome as I wanted it to be, but it was still enjoyable. The main weakness was the script, which I think could have used both some trimming down AND some increased exposition in places.

In visuals and tone it called to mind Fantasy movies of the '80s, like Willow, Labryinth, and Legend, so it hit many of my nostalgia buttons, along with my swordfighting-, castle-, magic-, and fancy costume-buttons.

Also, I could watch Chris Hemsworth swinging melee weapons around all day, every day.

Registered
    Feb 2009

My kid and I saw Snow White, etc.

We liked it, but it did go on maybe a bit too long.

Also, my kid pointed out "The actress who played Snow White wasn't as good an actor as the others."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

:snerk:

I've never seen the Twilight series, so I have nothing to compare her performance to, but yeah. For most of the movie I could totally buy her as a confused girl who is emotionally stunted because she grew up alone in a prison tower - her big inspiring speech towards the end fell pretty flat though.

Charlize Theron was definitely having fun chewing on All The Scenery.

Also the movie gets 20 extra points for Snow White's practical armor and hair-styling choices (5 points taken away for lack-of-helmet).
    Last edited by Orual; 06 Jun 2012 at 01:21 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I kept getting this adaptation of Snow White and the comedic one mixed up in my head. Despite my dislike of Kristen Stewart as an actress, I do want to see Snow White and the Huntsman. I can't say the same for the other adaptation, though. The trailers for it just made me cringe.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

My sister ans I saw SWATH on Sunday, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I wasn't asdistracted by K-Stew as I've been in other movies. She was less...Bella, I suppose. Of course, Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth were fabulous and seemed to be having a blast. I'd heard it was supposed to be the first of a trilogy, though. Not sure how they'll squeeze another story out of this.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Zuul View post
    I can't say the same for the other adaptation, though. The trailers for it just made me cringe.
    Mirror, Mirror? I thought that looked awful. Of course, I'm prejudiced against Julia Roberts.

Quote Originally posted by Marsilia View post
    I'd heard it was supposed to be the first of a trilogy, though. Not sure how they'll squeeze another story out of this.
    I have no idea how that would even work.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, Mirror, Mirror was it. The previews don't in any way entice me and, no, Julia Roberts isn't helping much.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Kid and I long ago decided we weren't going to see Mirror, Mirror because the trailers were so horrible.

Interesting how far from alone we were.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I'm surprised that others had the same response to the trailers. I'll assume this means we all have excellent taste.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I want to see SWATH, definitely. And I don't mind Kristen Stewart's presence, really.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Men in Black 3 was actually quite good. If you like the franchise, this was nearly as good as the original and much better then 2. The kids really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it. Josh Brolin was dead-on as the young Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones). This could not have been better cast. Will Smith was as always good and entertaining. He doesn't really make bad movies, or at least even his bad movies are still watchable. (I'm looking at you Wild, Wild West).

Not sure why Rip Torn wasn't in this one but didn't actually matter.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Men in Black 3 was actually quite good. If you like the franchise, this was nearly as good as the original and much better then 2. The kids really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it. Josh Brolin was dead-on as the young Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones). This could not have been better cast. Will Smith was as always good and entertaining. He doesn't really make bad movies, or at least even his bad movies are still watchable. (I'm looking at you Wild, Wild West).
    Tell that to The Legend of Bagger Vance.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Not sure why Rip Torn wasn't in this one but didn't actually matter.
    "Nearly as good as the original and much better than 2" is exactly how I would describe this movie as well. And Jemaine Clement is totally awesome in it.

I'm taking the kids to see Madagascar 3 today. Not expecting much. I shall return and report.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Afro! Polka-dot! Afro! Polka-dot, polkadot, afro!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Meh-degascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.

A worthy follow-up to the first two Madagascar films...both of which I kind of disliked as well. They just seem to have an all-star cast of people I find annoying: Chris Rock, David Schwimmer, Sacha Baron Cohen, Martin Short, etc., with the added pain of the normally wonderful Frances McDormand working a paint-peelingly screechy French accent. (Exception: Bryan Cranston is great in this movie as the tiger.) Almost all of the laughs are Looney Tunes-style slapstick laughs, and there are plenty of repetitive gags and repetitive songs ("I like to move it move it," anyone?) to get stuck in your five year old's head for the next week.

All in all, a very Dreamworks film. Two and a half stars.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

(And for those who don't ken what I mean by "very Dreamworks," I offer up the following xkcd panel

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Man, I can't wait till Brave comes out. I am a total Pixar geek.
    Last edited by Orual; 09 Jun 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm with you, Orual. I'm so excited for Brave, I use the trailer to demo the YouTube quality on Nook Tablets, and I squeed a little when Castleville on Facebook started a Brave quest.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I keep waiting for them to do something that sucks, just so I can point the finger and say they're washed up/sold out/ruined by Disney/whatever. And they keep putting out fantastic product.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

I finally saw the Avengers tonight. No I generally don't seem to like comic book movies and I generally don't really like 3-D that much. With that caveat, Avengers was a really good and very enjoyable movie. I love many of the lines and just generally enjoyed the movie. "Puny God", "Legolas", etc.

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp View post
    I keep waiting for them to do something that sucks, just so I can point the finger and say they're washed up/sold out/ruined by Disney/whatever. And they keep putting out fantastic product.
    Well Cars 2 sucked and was just a quick try at a money grab to pay for more pics. Also Pixar basically gets the fall for the John Carter financial disaster. Also I strongly disliked even the first Cars. But overall their record is crazy good.
    Brave looks like it will be a great one and its Scottish! Woot!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well Cars 2 sucked and was just a quick try at a money grab to pay for more pics. Also Pixar basically gets the fall for the John Carter financial disaster. Also I strongly disliked even the first Cars. But overall their record is crazy good.
    I actually haven't seen either Cars movie. They're the only two I skipped.

And I'm excited for Brave, too!

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Also I strongly disliked even the first Cars.
    Just....just get out.

I have seen zero movies this summer. I really kinda suck at going to movies.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I No I generally don't seem to like comic book movies and I generally don't really like 3-D that much. With that caveat, Avengers was a really good and very enjoyable movie. I love many of the lines and just generally enjoyed the movie. "Puny God", "Legolas", etc.
    Such is the magic that is Avengers.

The preview mainly makes me want to go back to Scotland.

Well Cars 2 sucked and was just a quick try at a money grab to pay for more pics ... Also I strongly disliked even the first Cars ...
    I actually haven't seen either Cars movie. They're the only two I skipped.
    I saw the first one; it was more enjoyable than I expected it to be. No way I'm bothering with the 2nd one, though.

And tonight, I'm enjoying the incomparable cinematic experience known as: Jersey Shore Shark Attack. It's a truly beautiful life moment.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I finally saw the Avengers tonight. No I generally don't seem to like comic book movies and I generally don't really like 3-D that much. With that caveat, Avengers was a really good and very enjoyable movie. I love many of the lines and just generally enjoyed the movie. "Puny God", "Legolas", etc....
    Great! Didja spot me in it?: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...Avengers-extra

Registered
    Feb 2009

And tonight, I'm enjoying the incomparable cinematic experience known as: Jersey Shore Shark Attack. It's a truly beautiful life moment.
    One of the original shark attacks was on the Matawan Creek. The first apartment I had with my fiancee/wife was just above the Matawan Creek in the general area of the attack. Though the Apts we were in did not exist when the attack took place.
    Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    I did not but I was looking as I did remember your thread.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I pulled it up on IMDB fully expecting to be disappointed but, no, it's exactly what I hoped it would be. Also, it has Paul Sorvino in what I can only imagine is not his proudest moment.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

And Jemaine Clement is totally awesome in it.
    Well, shoot. He's on my list of my top five favorite actors of Māori descent. Now I have to see it.

(Yes, I have such a list. Why don't you?)

Registered
    Feb 2009

I keep seeing adverts everywhere for the Spiderman reboot.

Part of me thinks it is going to be a standard reboot and suck, or perhaps it might be better than the trailer suggests it is going to be.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That cartoon doesn't look like an XKCD one to me, unless the style of XKCD has changed drastically recently.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Original An Gadaí View post
    That cartoon doesn't look like an XKCD one to me, unless the style of XKCD has changed drastically recently.
    You're right, and I knew that. I don't know why I keep thinking it's an xkcd.

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    I keep seeing adverts everywhere for the Spiderman reboot.

Part of me thinks it is going to be a standard reboot and suck, or perhaps it might be better than the trailer suggests it is going to be.
    I was never a big fan of the Tobey Macguire/Kristen Dunst Spiderman movies, but I'm not really feeling this new version either. He's uncovering his parents' Dark, Secret Past? Spiderman doesn't have parents!*

*By which I mean that in no cartoon/comic book I ever saw, were Peter Parker's parents ever mentioned - just Aunt Mae and Tragic Dead Uncle.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I was never a big fan of the Tobey Macguire/Kristen Dunst Spiderman movies, but I'm not really feeling this new version either. He's uncovering his parents' Dark, Secret Past? Spiderman doesn't have parents!*

*By which I mean that in no cartoon/comic book I ever saw, were Peter Parker's parents ever mentioned - just Aunt Mae and Tragic Dead Uncle.
    This is Marvel Comics - of course his dead parents have a dark, secret past.

Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    International Secret Agents - what else?

Registered
    Mar 2009

I feel rather "eh" about the new Spider-Man, though I've always had a soft spot for the comics. The parent plot kind of annoys me, but mostly it's Andrew Garfield. He's just...not working for me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I'm a little leery of it too. But I'll see it.

MIB3 is better than its predecessor, but not as good as the original. Still worth seeing for the Sixties jokes and Josh Brolin's fantastic deadpan take on the young Agent K.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    MIB3 is better than its predecessor, but not as good as the original. Still worth seeing for the Sixties jokes and Josh Brolin's fantastic deadpan take on the young Agent K.
    Isn't it crazy how Josh Brolin is within six months of Will Smith's age, yet easily comes across fifteen years older, just by his delivery?

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wow, I hadn't done the math. Interesting.

Saw Madagascar 3 with my boys on Sunday, and liked it more than I thought I would. A highlight:
    There's a crash-'em-up Monte Carlo chase scene early in the movie that is really one of the best chases I've ever seen! Funny and exciting.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Kid and I will probably see "Brave", maybe tomorrow.

Reviews are a bit luke-warm though -- like it's a good Disney movie, but a mediocre Pixar movie.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

My desire to see Prometheus waned considerably after I saw the lukewarm reviews. (Also I hate von Daniken's 'Chariots of the Gods' bullshit with the fiery rage of 100,000 ancient engineers.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post

Reviews are a bit luke-warm though -- like it's a good Disney movie, but a mediocre Pixar movie.
    I'm looking forward to it. We'll probably see it late in the week though.
    My desire to see Prometheus waned considerably after I saw the lukewarm reviews. (Also I hate von Daniken's 'Chariots of the Gods' bullshit with the fiery rage of 100,000 ancient engineers.)
    It looks interesting but my interest has also waned.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday View post

I'm looking forward to it. We'll probably see it late in the week though.
    artifex, kids, and I are going to see it tomorrow afternoon. I shall return and report.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Sep 2009

Reviews be damned, I hope not to end this summer without seeing both Brave and Prometheus.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Prometheus is definitely worth seeing. I think it has something of a bad reputation because almost everyone's reaction seems to be "I enjoyed it, but ...". It certainly has its flaws, and I think those get emphasized more than the truly good stuff that's in it.

My description of it to a friend: "It does a good job balancing the curiosity of space exploration with the horror of finding something terrible out there."

Orual, the alien panspermia story is, like much else, not pushed too much (it starts out with more of it but, like many other ideas it raises, it's never fully explored). It seems that Ridley Scott has a cafeteria approach to meaning in his films - you can take or leave what you like about it.

I watched this and then Alien (director's cut) later that night. One thing I was surprised by was just how much better the Nostromo looks in space. I never though of CG being all that bad compared to miniatures, but the lighting and even just the ship design pales in comparison.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Haven't been to the movie theater this weekend, but tonight started The Hurt Locker on DVD with my son. It's pretty good.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Heh, I just watched that on Friday evening. Very good, if depressing.

(Almost had a chance to see Brave last night, but the timing was off. )

Registered
    Mar 2009

I wasn't expecting to see it so soon, but I got a chance to see Brave yesterday. It was ... good, but not as good as I had hoped.

The plot was very much not what I thought.
    I thought it was 'young girl wants to avoid being married off so runs off and has an adventure'. Instead it's '...married off so casts a carelessly vague spell that turns her mother into a bear.' Hijinks ensue forcing a mother-daughter bond to strengthen. And I do mean 'forced'; the plot motivations are weak.

The short that precedes it, La Luna (which was up for an Oscar this year but lost) is fantastic. The eight-year-old girl with me smiled and said, "Good movie" after the short ended. By the end of the feature I had to make sure she put away the flashy-light makeup thingy she had just got. That says a little bit of something.

In fairness, I think Brave is aimed at a slightly older audience. What with some intense bear scare scenes, it's certainly not for the really young ones.

There is a scene post-credits but nothing special about the credits themselves, which I found a little disappointing. The scene is okay, but probably not worth staying for when you've got a little girl saying, "Can we go now? "
    Last edited by parzival; 24 Jun 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

In 'what's Orual watching on DVD' news, I just saw Errol Flynn's Robin Hood. It was fun, but I kept wishing I was watching this guy:

Registered
    Feb 2009

Brave was pretty good. We saw it yesterday. The short was incredible. My kids both really liked it. We saw the 2d version for the record. I didn't think 3D would really matter for Brave.

In 'what's Orual watching on DVD' news, I just saw Errol Flynn's Robin Hood. It was fun, but I kept wishing I was watching this guy:

I would rather see him as the Dread Pirate Roberts though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The sword fight between Flynn and Rathbone is a classic.

Registered
    Feb 2009

That is a great movie of the dumb fun variety.

+ Reply to thread