+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Orual's Big Summer Movie Thread

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    The sword fight between Flynn and Rathbone is a classic.
    Indeed; I ended up watching a bunch of Rathbone swordfights on YouTube.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I definitely still want to see Brave, and the Lincoln vampire movie too (despite its poor reviews).

Just saw Ted today with my 15-year-old son, who was very eager to see it. An uneven movie, but overall good trashy fun. I'd give it a B. We had just been in Boston, and enjoyed seeing a lot of places in the movie that we'd just seen ourselves. Favorite scene and line:
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    * Wahlberg tries to guess the name of Ted's new white-trash girlfriend, finally striking gold when he adds the suffix "-lynn."
    * Ted saying, "I really don't think I sound all that much like Peter Griffin."

Registered
    Mar 2009

Did anyone ever actually see Battleship? I just realized one of my favorite actors has a small part as a watch officer in it, but the previews looked so awful I don't know if it'll ever be worth watching.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Didn't see Battleship, although I was mildly interested in doing so. The reviews were mixed; it, um, sank at the box office.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Didn't see Battleship, although I was mildly interested in doing so. The reviews were mixed; it, um, sank at the box office.
    ISWYDT, and I approve.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Brave

I finally went to see this this past weekend. The animation was beautiful - I really liked the setting (my favorite vacation ever was to Scotland). I liked the characters, and that the central relationship was a mother and daughter rather than a romantic couple. Also bears. I like bears.

On the down side, I thought the story was a little ... thin? Shallow? It didn't have the emotional resonance for me that some other Pixar movies (Wall-E) have had for me.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Merida's hair is like a character unto itself in that movie, isn't it? Pixar's animation has come so far from the Toy Story days, where they could barely render a human face that wasn't laughable.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Saw the Lincoln vampire movie. It was fun! Good shooting/effects, great action. I've gotten the impression there are people who expected the plot to be deeper or more serious, somehow. It's a movie in which an actual historical figure kills vampires. It's exactly as deep and serious as such a movie should be, IMHO.
    So, I'll whisper in the dark, hoping you'll hear me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Marsilia View post
    Saw the Lincoln vampire movie. It was fun! Good shooting/effects, great action. I've gotten the impression there are people who expected the plot to be deeper or more serious, somehow. It's a movie in which an actual historical figure kills vampires. It's exactly as deep and serious as such a movie should be, IMHO.
    Heh. I have a morbid curiosity about this movie, and will probably end up seeing it despite the poor reviews.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, I never pay attention to actual critical reviews. If I have friends with similar tastes to mine (I miss having guys at work), I'll take their opinions under advisement, but I generally just watch trailers and go from there.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh, I forgot to mention - the short in front of [i]Brave[i] was beautiful and adorable. I loved the little kid, and the glowy stars, and the fact that you could totally tell that they were Italians, even though they never spoke in words. It was just happy.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, it's called La Luna, and it was good. Just saw it today. My wife, sons and I also really enjoyed Brave - funny, great cinematography, and an uplifting story. The three impish little brothers of the main character were a hoot.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Saw Brave with the wife and kid on Saturday. We all liked it -- it is an amazing good-looking movie with incredible animation.

I will say I didn't think it was as inspired as, say Wall-E, but probably Pixar has spoiled us. The same movie a few years ago probably would have stunned people.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You're probably right.

Just saw Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter with some historically like-minded friends tonight. It was goofy, over-the-top, vampire-slaying, mostly-ahistorical fun, with some surprisingly good sfx and sets.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Well now I am back to wanting to go see it. I might take in Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter tonight.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think I will wait on Abe Lincoln until it stumbles into the three dollar theater here, but it looks like fun.

I also saw Brave and it was great. My friend pointed out it was very good to see a movie with a good mother/daughter story and how rare those seem to be in animated movies. La Luna was wonderful, too. I also saw a trailer for the limited release of Finding Nemo in 3D this September...and I am a sucker for some Finding Nemo.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    Well now I am back to wanting to go see it. I might take in Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter tonight.
    Of course it turns out that the movie is gone from all local theaters already.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Of course it turns out that the movie is gone from all local theaters already.
    Bummer! We had to go a bit far afield to find it ourselves. Don't worry, it's not so epic that it has to be seen on the big screen.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I have acquired my ticket for The Dark Knight Rises. It's good I checked today; the Saturday shows were almost sold out.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I just got back from TDKR. Just gonna throw it out there, but it made TDK look downright cheerful by comparison.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual View post
    I have acquired my ticket for The Dark Knight Rises. It's good I checked today; the Saturday shows were almost sold out.
    Horrific related story of mass shootings and panic at a show in Aurora, Colorado. 12 dead, 50 wounded.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Marsilia View post
    I just got back from TDKR. Just gonna throw it out there, but it made TDK look downright cheerful by comparison.
    I'm not surprised, that tracks with what I've heard. Honestly, I'm not expecting to LOVE this movie. Nolan is a talented director, but there are a few things about his movies that tend to annoy me.

Horrific related story of mass shootings and panic at a show in Aurora, Colorado. 12 dead, 50 wounded.
    That's horrifying.

Registered
    Mar 2009

...yeah. The movie itself became far less dark and scary to me when I heard that happened.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

(Maybe if folks want to discuss the shooting, there can be a new thread? It's an odd fit with my idle bitching-about-movies.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

(Maybe if folks want to discuss the shooting, there can be a new thread? It's an odd fit with my idle bitching-about-movies.)
    Sure. Here you go: http://www.mellophant.com/forums/sho...quot-screening

Registered
    Mar 2009

So, I just got home from Savages. It was probably one of those movies I should have a strong opinion about, but I really don't. It was good, but wasn't particularly engrossing.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, yeah, the drug crime thriller. I saw a trailer for the movie and was surprised to see Oliver Stone directed it. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 54%.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Exactly. I'd heard a bit about it back when I was watching Hunger Games casting news, because Jennifer Lawrence had apparently dropped that one to play Katniss, and people were questioning the smarts of that decision. I'd say she made the right choice.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

OK, so, a couple of weeks after seeing it, I'd have to say that The Dark Knight Rises was not a disappointment, but it hasn't really stuck with me the way some movies do. Anne Hathaway was great; her Selina Kyle was the highlight of the movie for me. Bane was physically impressive, but undercut by his garbled dialog. Tom Hardy is a good actor and I thought he was kind of wasted in the part.

Over all I think Nolan's trilogy is an impressive accomplishment. I want to watch all three movies together at some point, to see how the story hangs together.

But The Avengers is still my favorite movie of the summer, so far.

And the preview for the new Superman movie looked awful. I don't think that Christopher "Grim n' Gritty" Nolan and Zack "I'm a giant fucking creeper" Snyder were the right choices for that particular project.
    Last edited by Orual; 04 Aug 2012 at 02:23 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Saw Spiderman last night. Better than expected, did not suck, had some good parts and a lot of too slow parts. I had a hard time believing Emma Stone was a HS student and a tough time with believing Andrew Garfield who played Peter Parker was a teen. Sally Field and Aunt May was also off putting, I might not be a comic book fan but even I know Aunt May is suppose to look more grey haired and frail.

Basically a low expectation movie delivered well.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Saw The Dark Knight Rises a few days ago and liked it, mostly. Some nitpicks. Have to say, none of the Bale/Nolan Batman movies really clicked for me. I still prefer the first Michael Keaton one.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Saw The Dark Knight Rises a few days ago and liked it, mostly. Some nitpicks. Have to say, none of the Bale/Nolan Batman movies really clicked for me. I still prefer the first Michael Keaton one.
    Wow, someone besides me preferred the Keaton one. I like the second also.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I finally saw Hunger Games in the three dollar theater. Maybe not a summer movie, but it's summer and I saw it and it counts. And I really liked it. Thankfully it's out in DVD in a week and a half.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Me too. One thing that I felt like they "got" in that film that none of the others managed was that Batman was far more real and Bruce Wayne was far more of a mask. Not the cartoonish "absconding with the entire Russian ballet" Bruce Wayne of Bale/Nolan, but just a charming playboy cover. I like Bale's portrayal all right, but with Keaton it all felt much more natural, even if it wasn't a "gritty reboot."
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quite so. Glad to be in such excellent company, What Exit and Zuul!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

When all's said and done, this will always be the 'real' Batman for me:

Registered
    Mar 2009

I liked Batman Forever.

I'll go now.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Hey, I do to! It's not great, but I think it gets some not-entirely-deserved splashback from Batman & Robin.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Orual, is Batman (or something) invisible in your post 86? I see nothing there.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It was an embedded Youtube link to .

+ Reply to thread