+ Reply to thread
Page 37 of 190 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 87 137 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,850 of 9487

Thread: Let's play Botticelli!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Did you perform a hit song with Peter Gabriel about Eighties British unemployment? - I thought this was Laurie Anderson, but I see you're right, it's Kate Bush on "Don't Give Up":
    Were you married to your first husband at Malabar Farm, in Ohio? - Lauren Bacall and Bogie: http://vickielester.files.wordpress....ry-in-ohio.jpg
    Were you a fictional amphibian who lived in NYC? - Not Leonardo. I'll rephrase.

One DQ reserved.

IQs:

Were you a fictional amphibian, without brothers, who lived in NYC?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Sep 2014 at 02:50 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson, Enya, Bjork, they're all the same to me too! Meanwhile I will admit that is very cool about Bogie/Bacall marrying in Ohio. Would never have guessed that.

Another fictional amphibian in NYC? Is it a comic book thing? Yipe, I'm stumped here.

Note that I've decided to refine my answers to #11 ("Is he generally considered a good guy?") and #18 ("Comedy character?"). I think my own feelings about the character may have influenced my answer.

DQs

1. Not real
    2. Male
    3. American (well, naturalized)
    4. First name begins with L
    5. This is a toughie but I'd have to say no, would probably not be alive today... but it could go either way
    6. First main appearance in print
    7. Created since 1950
    8. Has appeared in more than one medium
    9. Is the main protagonist in at least one of his appearances
    10. Has appeared in a movie in or since 1994
    11. Not a good guy, especially early on; now, most of the audience would probably say 'yes, but...' while others would say 'no, but...'
    12. Sometimes appears in works considered somewhat action-oriented
    13. Not known to use a gun as far as I know
    14. Not particularly associated with New York City, though possibly lived there for a little while
    15. Not a detective/law enforcement
    16. Was a lead character in movie(s) in which he appeared since 1994
    17. Aged over 40
    18. Not a comedy character, although in one film the performance was pretty amusing. But no. Considered witty, however.
    19. Definitely not involved in military/secret agent government type work

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Were you a fictional amphibian, without brothers, who lived in NYC? - Lyle the Crocodile, featured in a series of charming kids' books: http://www.amazon.com/Lyle-Birthday-...lyle+crocodile

CIAS, what should our last DQ be, do you think? I'm still drawing a blank on this guy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Its the naturalised American in an action orientated medium who doesn't use a gun that gets me. I would have guessed someone like The Punisher for some of it apart from the lack of guns and so on...

It's the Vampire Lestat isn't it.

Try asking if the character is undead.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ooo, good idea. But I think I'll cast our net a little more broadly.

DQ:

Supernatural in some way?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Goddammit, CIAS!

DQs

1. Not real
    2. Male
    3. American (well, naturalized)
    4. First name begins with L
    5. This is a toughie but I'd have to say no, would probably not be alive today... but it could go either way
    6. First main appearance in print
    7. Created since 1950
    8. Has appeared in more than one medium
    9. Is the main protagonist in at least one of his appearances
    10. Has appeared in a movie in or since 1994
    11. Not a good guy, especially early on; now, most of the audience would probably say 'yes, but...' while others would say 'no, but...'
    12. Sometimes appears in works considered somewhat action-oriented
    13. Not known to use a gun as far as I know
    14. Not particularly associated with New York City, though possibly lived there for a little while
    15. Not a detective/law enforcement
    16. Was a lead character in movie(s) in which he appeared since 1994
    17. Aged over 40
    18. Not a comedy character, although in one film the performance was pretty amusing. But no. Considered witty, however.
    19. Definitely not involved in military/secret agent government type work
    20. Yes, supernatural

Grrrrrrrr! So close!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Goddammit, CIAS!
    How appropriate.

So...Are you the Vampire Lestat?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yes, yes, of course I bloody am Lestat de Lioncourt, the stupid sexy vampire that Anne Rice first made a villain and then, as with many romance writers, fell in love with him and turned him into a tortured good guy.

How the hell did you get there?! So close, soooooo close!

Registered
    Sep 2009

:: golf clap for CIAS ::

Registered
    Feb 2009

It was the trying to think of someone who was in an action film in america who didn't use a gun. The Punisher fitted but uses waaaaay to much arsenal, but he does live in a universe fighting creatures who don't use guns, like mutants, supernatural etc. From there I thought of Twilight because Ed Cullen is such a moody git and the supernatural stuff would have fitted as being in the action genre but no guns again seeing as cops and government had been ruled out.

Of course, he was such a goody two shoes, so no chance. but the undead thought stuck, and then it was the part about witty, but not comedic that suddenly made me think of Lestat, and looking over the clues, he just fitted. Not to mention its one of Tom Cruise's best performances.

You should have picked Louie, I never would have guessed that.

Oh well, time to think of someone knew.

Actually EH, you haven't had a go for a while - would you like to?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thanks, but no, you go ahead. I don't need your pity! ;-)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ok, here we go again.

Letter is C

Registered
    Sep 2009

IQs:

Will you be making an impromptu visit to Scotland soon?
    Are you another person soon making such a visit?
    Were you a prominent Black Panther leader?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    IQs:

Will you be making an impromptu visit to Scotland soon?
    Are you another person soon making such a visit?
    Were you a prominent Black Panther leader?
    1 and 2. That would be Messrs Cameron and Clegg as the independence referendum goes to the wire.
    2. The only one I know is Malcolm X - so Stumped.

Take a DQ.

Registered
    Mar 2012

LOL, when reading the above post, I immediately thought "wait, why does CIAS think Malcolm X is going to Scotland??? He knows he's dead, right?" And then I saw you'd just labeled the third answer incorrectly.

Speaking of certain names...

1. Are you (very not-so-secretly) the inspiration for the fictional character known for lines such as "Come the fuck in, or fuck the fuck off," "He's about as much use as a marzipan dildo," and "Don't you ever, ever call me a bully; I'm so much worse than that!"?

2. Are you smaller than your 14 siblings, not to mention the 86 other animals of your breed in a famous children's book and film?

3. Were three of your four Oscar nominations for Best Actor for playing a) a corrupt, blackmailing Nazi collaborator, b) a corrupt, murdering Nazi spy, and c) a sympathetic Jewish concentration camp survivor?
    Last edited by choie; 10 Sep 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Will you be making an impromptu visit to Scotland soon? - Yes, British PM David Cameron
    Are you another person soon making such a visit? - Yes, Deputy PM Nick Clegg
    Were you a prominent Black Panther leader? - This was Eldridge Cleaver

DQ:

Real?

IQs:

Were you a Civil War major general, postwar Governor of Ohio, and had a building named after you at Oberlin College?
    Were you an early, fire-and-brimstone President of Oberlin College, and his father-in-law?
    Were you the aristocratic Tory villain of Jeffrey Archer's (wait for it) First Among Equals?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 10 Sep 2014 at 11:01 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:

1. Real

1. Are you (very not-so-secretly) the inspiration for the fictional character known for lines such as "Come the fuck in, or fuck the fuck off," "He's about as much use as a marzipan dildo," and "Don't you ever, ever call me a bully; I'm so much worse than that!"?

2. Are you smaller than your 14 siblings, not to mention the 86 other animals of your breed in a famous children's book and film?

3. Were three of your four Oscar nominations for Best Actor for playing a) a corrupt, blackmailing Nazi collaborator, b) a corrupt, murdering Nazi spy, and c) a sympathetic Jewish concentration camp survivor?
    1. I believe its Alistair Campbell
    2. Drat, drat, drat, its 101 dalmatians and I cannot remember what the runt of the litter was called.
    3. Nope, stumped on that one.

Take 2 DQs.

IQs:

Were you a Civil War major general, postwar Governor of Ohio, and had a building named after you at Oberlin College?
    Were you an early, fire-and-brimstone President of Oberlin College, and his father-in-law?
    Were you the aristocratic Tory villain of Jeffrey Archer's (wait for it) First Among Equals?
    I can see I am going to have to research Ohio and environs thoroughly to ensure a lack of easy DQs for you good sir.
    And I'm stumped on Archer as well.

Take 3 DQs

Registered
    Mar 2012

Well picked up on Malcolm Tucker/Alistair Campbell, of course. The littlest Dalmatian is the Cadpig. And #3 is Claude Rains, who was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Casablanca (Nazi collaborator), Notorious (Nazi spy) and Mr. Skeffington (Jewish banker unfortunate enough to fall in love with Bette Davis's heartless egomaniac, and then even more unfortunate to end up in a concentration camp). His fourth nom was for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, another nuanced performance.

DQs:

- Female? (One of these days we'll get another woman...)
    - Alive?

IQs:

- Despite your many significant achievements as a talented actress and fashion icon before and since, is one of your most notorious/controversial claims to fame the fact that one of your starring roles required you to give a real blow job to your film's director/star?

- Putting it rather baldly, is your primary purpose in life seemingly waiting for your mom to die?

- When you first rocketed to fame forty years ago, were you known for reminding people each Saturday who you were--and also reminding them in turn that they weren't you?

----
    Speaking of Ohio and particularly Oberlin, can I just brag, EH, that my incredibly has just gone off to begin her college life there? She's doing a double degree both at the Conservatory of Music and the regular college. [/proud aunt]
    Last edited by choie; 11 Sep 2014 at 07:36 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Female. (your wish choie. etc. etc.)
    3. Alive

Well picked up on Malcolm Tucker/Alistair Campbell, of course. The littlest Dalmatian is the Cadpig. And #3 is Claude Rains, who was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Casablanca (Nazi collaborator), Notorious (Nazi spy) and Mr. Skeffington (Jewish banker unfortunate enough to fall in love with Bette Davis's heartless egomaniac, and then even more unfortunate to end up in a concentration camp). His fourth nom was for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, another nuanced performance.

IQs:

- Despite your many significant achievements as a talented actress and fashion icon before and since, is one of your most notorious/controversial claims to fame the fact that one of your starring roles required you to give a real blow job to your film's director/star?

- Putting it rather baldly, is your primary purpose in life seemingly waiting for your mom to die?

- When you first rocketed to fame forty years ago, were you known for reminding people each Saturday who you were--and also reminding them in turn that they weren't you?
    Cadpig, drat, I should have remembered.

IQs:
    1. I can remember the controversy, I believe the guy was also an ex- as well, but I can't remember the film or the actress in question.
    2. Prince Charles
    3. Sounds like something Jay Leno or someone like that would say, but stumped.

Take another 2 DQs.

Registered
    Sep 2009

...Speaking of Ohio and particularly Oberlin, can I just brag, EH, that my incredibly has just gone off to begin her college life there? She's doing a double degree both at the Conservatory of Music and the regular college. [/proud aunt]
    Hey, great! I loved my time at Oberlin. I teach a course there every fall. PM me for details if you like, or if you'd like me to say howdy to your niece next time I'm out there.

Previous IQs:

Were you a Civil War major general, postwar Governor of Ohio, and had a building named after you at Oberlin College? - Jacob Cox
    Were you an early, fire-and-brimstone President of Oberlin College, and his father-in-law? - Charles Grandison Finney
    Were you the aristocratic Tory villain of Jeffrey Archer's (wait for it) First Among Equals? - Charles Seymour

DQs:

Last name start with C?
    Best known for the creative arts, as broadly defined?
    American?

IQs:

Did you record "letters" home for your fictional sister?
    Did your mistress assuage a mob by identifying herself as "the Protestant whore"?
    Was your wife's pet name for you "Pig"?

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Female
    3. Alive
    4. Last name does not start with C
    5. Is Best known for the creative arts, as broadly defined
    6. American

IQs:

Did you record "letters" home for your fictional sister?
    Did your mistress assuage a mob by identifying herself as "the Protestant whore"?
    Was your wife's pet name for you "Pig"?
    1. Arrgh, this one has come up before and I cannot remember the answer.
    2. Nope, no idea, again
    3. Drat, all I can think of is John Peel, but that was his nickname for his wife.

Stuffed again, another 3 DQs to you.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Did you record "letters" home for your fictional sister? - Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester on M*A*S*H
    Did your mistress assuage a mob by identifying herself as "the Protestant whore"? - King Charles II of England
    Was your wife's pet name for you "Pig"? - Winston Churchill

DQs:

Best known as an actress?
    Has won a major award in her field?
    Born since 1970?

IQs:

Have people gossiped about your weight since you first became famous?
    Have you played a crazy person, a defense lawyer and the Vice President of the United States?
    Is your ratty old chair displayed in the Natl. Museum of American History?

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Female
    3. Alive
    6. American
    7. Tricky, but I would say no, not best known as an actress.
    8. Has won a major award in her field
    9. Not Born since 1970.

IQs:

Have people gossiped about your weight since you first became famous?
    Have you played a crazy person, a defense lawyer and the Vice President of the United States?
    Is your ratty old chair displayed in the Natl. Museum of American History?
    I really should have remembered the M.A.S.H one.

IQs.
    1. Waay too generic a question, that's happened to nearly every female in the public eye since the year dot. Some gossip mags are insatiable. I'll start with Coleen Rooney but please refine.
    2. Nope, I'll take stumped for 10, please Alex.
    3. Davy Crockett???? Seriously, no idea.

Take another 2 DQs. Yeah, its one of those days again.

Registered
    Mar 2012

1. Did you begin your career as an idealistic and secretly privileged intern, eventually becoming a seasoned doctor who at one point took over from his old mentor?

2. Were you a friend of the above who helped save his life via a kidney?

3. Are you an actor described in the opening song to a cult, campy film classic as being 'over a barrel'?

Registered
    Feb 2009

1. Did you begin your career as an idealistic and secretly privileged intern, eventually becoming a seasoned doctor who at one point took over from his old mentor?

2. Were you a friend of the above who helped save his life via a kidney?

3. Are you an actor described in the opening song to a cult, campy film classic as being 'over a barrel'?
    1. Nope, not one I can think of . Stumped
    2. If I can't get the first, I'm not getting this one either.
    3. That...that sounds so familiar, Drat its Rocky Horror Picture Show isn't it. Science fiction, Double Feature and I cannot remember the words..... *Hangs head in shame*

Take 3 DQs to add to the other two you have spare.

I may be a while I'm gonna go watch it again.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh goodness I didn't realize I had DQs left over. For some reason I thought I was all caught up!

Answers are John Carter (Noah Wylie) and Carol Hathaway (Juliana Margulies) from ER, and Leo G. Carroll ("...was over a barrel, when Tarantula took to the hills...")

DQs (I'll stick with three and bank the other ones):

- Known primarily as a musician?
    - Born since 1950?
    - First became famous after 1985?

IQs:

1. As someone who was replaced by a muuuch younger performer in the film version of your hit musical, were you a favorite of drag queen impersonators as well as a Whose Line Is It Anyway? contestant?

2. Did your longtime working partner believe he was the first person to use the word "fuck" during your eulogy?

3. If your father had kept his original surname, would your own last name have coincidentally been the subject of one of your most famous comedy routines?

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Female
    3. Alive
    6. American
    9. Not Born since 1970.
    10. Known primarily as a musician. For some its YMMV, but I think for the majority it music.
    11. Not born since 1950?
    12. Was definitely famous before 1985

Oh goodness I didn't realize I had DQs left over. For some reason I thought I was all caught up!

Answers are John Carter (Noah Wylie) and Carol Hathaway (Juliana Margulies) from ER, and Leo G. Carroll ("...was over a barrel, when Tarantula took to the hills...")

IQs:

1. As someone who was replaced by a muuuch younger performer in the film version of your hit musical, were you a favorite of drag queen impersonators as well as a Whose Line Is It Anyway? contestant?

2. Did your longtime working partner believe he was the first person to use the word "fuck" during your eulogy?

3. If your father had kept his original surname, would your own last name have coincidentally been the subject of one of your most famous comedy routines?
    I never did catch ER, so no chance on those. As for RHPM - should have known it. Ho Hum

1. Dare I ask what Ryan Styles was up to? I can think of plenty of musicals on screen but I'm stumped as to the stage performer.
    2. I believe that was John Cleese at Graham Chapman's eulogy.
    3. Nope, stumped. Curious, but stumped.

2 more DQs to you.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ahhhh methinks I know our heroine...

My first IQ answer was Carol Channing (the original Dolly Levi in Hello, Dolly); I'm assuming you're guessing Chapman and that's correct for #2; and #3 was actually John Cleese, whose father changed the last name from its original: Cheese. Middle names were "Venezuelan Beaver," interestingly enough.

DQs, including one of my saved ones:

- Born west of the Mississippi?
    - Were you ever married to someone famous?
    - Are you known by a single name?

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Female
    3. Alive
    6. American
    9. Not Born since 1970.
    10. Known primarily as a musician. For some its YMMV, but I think for the majority it music.
    11. Not born since 1950?
    12. Was definitely famous before 1985
    13. Born west of the Mississippi
    14. Has been married to someone famous
    15. Known by a single name

It's like you almost read my mind. I need to find a psychic smiley from somewhere.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Perhaps or ?

The approximate age and musician things were what gave it away, really... there aren't that many musician/actresses from prior to 1950 who've won major awards; also, I had to rule out Chita Rivera since you mentioned she's not best known as an actress, and I wouldn't really call being a dancer a 'musician.' I was tempted to think of Charo, but she's probably before your time, plus if she's won any awards for 'hoochie-coochie-ing" there's some mighty specific award presentations out there!

So... are you Cher?
    Last edited by choie; 13 Sep 2014 at 04:27 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll bet that's it.

Previous IQs:

Have people gossiped about your weight since you first became famous? - I'll rephrase, just in case.
    Have you played a crazy person, a defense lawyer and the Vice President of the United States? - Glenn Close, in Fatal Attraction, Jagged Edge and Air Force One.
    Is your ratty old chair displayed in the Natl. Museum of American History? - Carroll O'Connor, from his character Archie Bunker in All in the Family.

Two DQs reserved.

IQs:

Have people gossiped about your weight since you, best known as a singer, first became famous in the past 14 years?
    Are you the best-known person from Pin Point, Ga.?
    Did you and your ex-husband perform for Bill and Hillary Clinton while the Clintons were on vacation?

Registered
    Feb 2009

So... are you Cher?
    I like - consider it added to the pool.

Knew it wouldn't take too long.

Yes, The person in question is Cher

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yay! Hey, "Half-Breed" could be Kylah's theme song, too.

Okay, I totally have one. The letter is... E

Registered
    Sep 2009

All right, choie!

Previous IQs:

Have people gossiped about your weight since you, best known as a singer, first became famous in the past 14 years? - Kelly Clarkson
    Are you the best-known person from Pin Point, Ga.? - Clarence Thomas
    Did you and your ex-husband perform for Bill and Hillary Clinton while the Clintons were on vacation? - Carly Simon, with James Taylor

New IQs:

Did the troops in their tents cheer you in the movie Breaker Morant?
    Did you reign in 1936, and only in 1936?
    Did Vincent Price play your creator, who died too soon?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 15 Sep 2014 at 07:44 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

I would've guessed Christina Aguilera for the singer. Sadly it could be almost any female celebrity.

Did the troops in their tents cheer you in the movie Breaker Morant?
    Did you reign in 1936, and only in 1936?
    Did Vincent Price play your creator, who died too soon?
    - No, I am not Edward Woodward? (Total stab in the dark as I haven't seen the movie, but obviously I know he starred in it.)

- No, I am not Edward VIII, thankfully.

- No, I am not... Edward Scissorhands? Another film I haven't seen, but am less likely to than Breaker Morant, that's for sure. (Not a big Depp fan, especially when paired with Timmy-One-Note Burton.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well done choie,

1. Did you write of a young boy raised by animals?
    2. Are you supposed to be earliest known discoverer of Greenland?
    3. Did you play the only protagonist of the Eighth Doctor on screen?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thank you! She was a good choice.

1. No, I am not Edgar Rice Burroughs
    2. No, I am not Eric the Red
    3. Ermmm this was Paul McGann, no? Did you mean Antagonist? In which case, stumped like a beheaded Dalek since I've never seen the film and for some reason know little about it... but if there was only one baddie I really should know who played him/her. I should at least be able to take a wild guess considering my knowledge of UK character actors. So I'm embarrassed.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    Well done choie,

1. Did you write of a young boy raised by animals?
    2. Are you supposed to be earliest known discoverer of Greenland?
    3. Did you play the only protagonist of the Eighth Doctor on screen?
    Correct for the first two.
    3. I did mean antagonist, it was the Master, and it was the only US actor to play him: Eric Roberts.

DQ:
    Real

IQs:
    1. Was your painting responsible for a lot of modern day horror masks?
    2. Did you compose Land of Hope and Glory?
    3. Were you a British nurse executed during World War One?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Did the troops in their tents cheer you in the movie Breaker Morant? - Woodward was in the movie, and shoulda won an Oscar, but the troops cheered the British monarch of the day, Edward VII. Here's the movie (one of my all-time favorites!); the cheer is at 47:28: .
    Did you reign in 1936, and only in 1936? - Yes, King Edward VIII.
    Did Vincent Price play your creator, who died too soon? - Yes, Edward Scissorhands.

DQ:

Real?

IQs:

Were you a scrappy Californian legal research assistant?
    Did you play Wilma Deering on TV?
    Were you Lincoln's Attorney General?

Registered
    Mar 2012

DQ

1. Fictional

EH! No excuse for not noticing CIAS's identical DQ, you were hours and hours apart! Shame shame everyone knows your name.

Rats on Woodward being wrong, I should've known that was too easy.

1. No, not Edvard Munch? Probably butchered that spelling...

2. Okay well if you're going to insult me with such a question...! Besmirching my identity as a pathetic Anglophile who wouldn't know the composer of one of the most patriotic British anthems? Edward Elgar! (I went through this period last year where I'd listen to random classical stations and would hear a gorgeous piece and think, wow, why don't I know this and who is it by? And every time it was Elgar.)

3. And now I embarrass myself after that speech because I can't think of this woman's name. Stumped in shame.

Were you a scrappy Californian legal research assistant?
    Did you play Wilma Deering on TV?
    Were you Lincoln's Attorney General?
    Stumped thrice. Take three, darn it--well, four with your left over one from earlier. I wonder iif #1 is from Ally McBeal or Moonlighting or something like that... No idea who Wilma Deering is, and I've forgotten much that I learned from The Civil War marathon I did a few months back, so I'm all pink and vulnerable if you want to hit me with your usual "who was the 3rd red-headed lieutenant shot at Gettysburg?" type questions.

Registered
    Feb 2009

IQs:
    Correct in the first two;
    3. Edith Cavell

DQs:
    Female

IQs
    1. Were you the evil TV from Willow the Wisp?
    2. Was your name based off exactly what you offered to certain viewers?
    3. Are you an expert practitioner of headology?

You really, really should know who Wilma Deering is though. Cheesy though the series was.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Were you a scrappy Californian legal research assistant? - Erin Brockovich
    Did you play Wilma Deering on TV? - Erin Gray, on Buck Rogers in the Seventies
    Were you Lincoln's Attorney General? - Edward Bates

DQs:

Last name start with E?
    If real, would be alive today?
    American?
    Created since 1950?

IQs:

Were you Lincoln's SecWar?
    Did you play a woman who was a little too close to her brother in Mansfield Park?
    Are you the current Democratic nominee for Governor of Ohio?

Registered
    Mar 2012

LOL, stumped on 1 and 3, but #2 is the redoubtable Emma Peel. (I still refuse to believe that story about her name! Even if it's true I don't believe it. )

Oh dear. Buck Rogers. I do remember Erin Gray and that stupid beedeebeedeep robot, but this was not a show I paid much attention to.

Were you Lincoln's SecWar?
    Did you play a woman who was a little too close to her brother in Mansfield Park?
    Are you the current Democratic nominee for Governor of Ohio?
    Yeah I asked for that one, didn't I?

1. Stumped, obviously
    2. I can only think this refers to Mary Crawford, but I don't know the adaptations well enough to remember who played whom. So, embarrassingly, stumped on a Jane freakin' Austen question. Ugh, that's worse than if I'd missed the Elgar question!
    3. Stumped, not surprisingly

This round should be a quick one...

DQs

Fictional
    Male
    First name starts with E
    Probably would not be alive but it might depend on your POV
    Not American
    Not created since 1950

Registered
    Sep 2009

Here's Erin Gray; I had a bit of a nerd-crush on her back then: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23...387dc118ed.jpg

Previous IQs:

Were you Lincoln's SecWar? - Edwin Stanton
    Did you play a woman who was a little too close to her brother in Mansfield Park? - Embeth Davidtz
    Are you the current Democratic nominee for Governor of Ohio? - Ed FitzGerald

DQs:

European?
    Considered a "good guy"?
    Created since 1900?

IQs:

Was your ship the Queen Anne's Revenge?
    Did your ship become a star in Tolkien's tales?
    Did you die on the slopes of Mount Doom?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Sep 2014 at 09:22 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

IQs
    1. This was Evil Edna
    2. Was indeed Emma Peel
    3. Granny Esme Weatherwax from Discworld.

DQs:
    First seen in print?
    From the romance genre?

IQs:
    1. Did you betray your siblings for some Turkish Delight?
    2. Are you the miserable cousin of the character above?
    3. Are the the bespectacled one of a quartet of paranormal investigators?

Registered
    Mar 2012

I remember Gray quite well; she recently had an arc on The Guild webseries.

Was your ship the Queen Anne's Revenge?
    Did your ship become a star in Tolkien's tales?
    Did you die on the slopes of Mount Doom?
    - Damn, that's Blackbeard, but I don't know his real name. And that bugs me because there's a series about Blackbeard that I've been meaning to watch because it has an actor I like in it (Richard Coyle) and if I'd watched it, I'd know the answer! Rats!

- Oy. I dunno. No, I am not Elrond? Probably not, there are only 398374582 characters in Tolkien who begin with "E." But the Evenstar has to come from somewhere in Arwen's family, so...

- DUH, that's obviously Eagle #3, the rogue one who would've totally flown Frodo and Sam there if he'd survived! No, I have no idea.

Yeah you're just gonna go for military/maritime history, Tolkien ephemera, and Ohio trivia, right? I have no chance in hell.

Finally back to safe ground, almost.

1. No, I am not Edmund Pevensie
    2. No, I am not Eustace, um, Scrubb I think?
    3. Stumped. Only ones I can think of are Daphne from Scooby Doo and Giles from Buffy, assuming you only count him, Buffy, Xander and Willow. I would say it might be someone from Angel but Wesley was the bespectacled one there, no?

DQs:

1. Fictional
    2. Male
    3. First name starts with E
    4. Probably would not be alive but it might depend on your POV
    5. Not American
    6. Not created since 1950
    7. One presumes he is European
    8. Well... yes, considered a "good guy"
    9. Created since 1900
    10. First seen by the public in print
    11. No, not from the romance genre, although I have no doubt Rule 34 applies; the slash practically writes itself
    Last edited by choie; 18 Sep 2014 at 07:03 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Was your ship the Queen Anne's Revenge? - Yes, Blackbeard, FKA Edward Teach
    Did your ship become a star in Tolkien's tales? - Earendil the Mariner
    Did you die on the slopes of Mount Doom? - Elendil the Tall

DQs:

British?
    Has appeared in movie(s)?
    Detective/crimefighter?

IQs:

Were you Gil-Galad's herald?
    Were you an Olympian often laughed at?
    Did you write of Fortunato and Montresor?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh dear, I missed one about Elendil? That must sting. Sorry!

Were you Gil-Galad's herald?
    Were you an Olympian often laughed at?
    Did you write of Fortunato and Montresor?
    - Well now I can only think of Gil Gerard thanks to your Erin Gray reference, but I suspect this other person has no relationship. Stumped.

- Huh. The only "E" gods I can think of are Eros and Eris. Eros sounds wrong, so I guess I'll say no, I am not Eris? (But she doesn't seem funny or risible at all...)

- No, I am not Edgar Allan Poe. I had to read those stories in fifth grade--we actually did a production of "Hop-Frog." Talk about inappropriate. I had a psycho for a teacher.

DQs:

1. Fictional
    2. Male
    5. Not American
    9. Created since 1900
    11. Not from the romance genre
    12. One presumes he is British
    13. Has appeared in movie(s)
    14. Well... he would consider himself a successful detective, having sorta solved at least one mystery. But on the whole, most would say no, not a detective/crimefighter.

Registered
    Feb 2009

IQs:
    Correct as to Edmund Pevensie and Eustance Scrubb.
    3. How could you fail to remember Egon Spengler from Ghostbusters???

DQ:
    Character over 40?

IQ:
    1. Are you known for playing a bushy haired swot
    2. Were you a film director known for his atrocious B movies.
    3. Are you a child who found out the war games he was playing were actually for real.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ack! And Harold Ramis was my favorite out of the Ghostbusters, too! In my mild defense (and this is embarrassing) I always forget there were four of them. That makes me sound horribly racist. But when I see photos of them it's always focused on Murray, Ackroyd and Ramis. Poor Ernie Hudson doesn't get much respect.

1. Are you known for playing a bushy haired swot
    2. Were you a film director known for his atrocious B movies.
    3. Are you a child who found out the war games he was playing were actually for real.
    1. No, I am not the notably un-bushy-haired Emma Watson
    2. No, I am not Ed Wood?
    3. Oh dear, the only person I can think of is David Lightman from WarGames, but obviously not. Stumped!

DQs:

Wow, can I just say, I never expected the age question. I really have to mull over how best to answer that...

1. Fictional
    2. Male
    5. Not American
    9. Created since 1900
    11. Not from the romance genre
    12. One presumes he is British
    13. Has appeared in movie(s)
    14. Would consider himself a mystery-solver but no, he is not a detective/crimefighter.
    15. Almost certainly not over 40 when we first meet him

+ Reply to thread