+ Reply to thread
Page 32 of 190 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 9487

Thread: Let's play Botticelli!

Registered
    Mar 2012

EH IQs:

1. No, I am not Fatty Arbuckle.
    2. I dunno... no, I am not Adolf Hitler? If only because it would be awesome for someone to call him a "rascal."
    3. Jeez this could be anyone too. No, I am not... Claudio Abbado. And yes, I know he's not really a performer. (Or wasn't, I should say.) Bizarrely, he was just the first person to come to my mind!

DQs:

Real
    Male
    Last name begins with 'A'
    Not alive
    Died before 1900
    Died after 1800
    Last edited by choie; 10 Jun 2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Forgot the DQs

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    IQs.
    1. Did you find that your entire reality was a lie and your job was to save it
    2. Did you become the British Prime Minister after World War II
    3. After leading your country to victory were you killed by your wife and her new lover.
    1. Mr Anderson aka Neo from the Matrix, though Arthur Dent is an amusing answer and didn't stop the planet being blown up by Vogons until it wasn't.
    Correct on Attlee and Agamemnon.

DQ.
    1. Businessman?

IQ:
    1. Did you lead your tribes in rampage across Middle Ages Europe?
    2. Are you a Grand Prix driver currently racing for Ferrari
    3. Did you found modern day Turkey?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Crap on a bun! I was going to answer Neo but I couldn't remember his real name. I thought it was Mr. Thomas.

CIAS IQs:

1. No, I am not Attila the Hun?

2. Not a clue--the only drivers I know are Danika Patrick and A.J. Hoyt, and I'm pretty sure the latter isn't racing anymore, so... Stumped.

3. No, I am not.. Kamil Ataturk? I'm sure I butchered his name...

DQs:

Real
    Male
    Not alive
    Died before 1900
    Died after 1800
    Not a businessman

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Were you a plump early movie star caught up in scandal? - Yes, Fatty Arbuckle.
    Did a college president refer to you as "that rascal"? - Alexander Hamilton. Ron Chernow, in his wonderful bio, tells the story of when Hamilton was a young radical at King's College (now Columbia U.) in New York. Hamilton favored the patriot cause at the outbreak of the American Revolution, while the president of the college was a conservative Anglican minister. Hamilton learned that local patriots were going to tar and feather the guy, and met them on the steps of the president's house. He implored them to leave the minister alone, warning them that tarring and feathering him would only hurt the patriot cause. The president, hard of hearing, saw Hamilton when he looked out from an upstairs window, and shouted down, "Pay no attention to that rascal Hamilton!"
    Did you perform in Madrid in 2004, in a concert now on YouTube in its entirety? - Alan Parsons:

DQs:

Died after 1850?
    American?

IQs:

Was Pat Lucey your running mate?
    Did the DAR refuse to let you sing in Constitution Hall?
    Is your mom Gloria Vanderbilt?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ha, great anecdote about Hamilton, EH. I have a fondness for him despite disagreeing with some of his later views. I went to school in Albany during the 200th anniversary of the Constitution's writing, signing and ratification, and I remember a PBS special with the conceit that it was a newscast interviewing and covering the Congressinal Convention and debates at the time. The guy playing Hamilton was very persuasive (and, yeah, I'll admit it--very handsome; I was still a late teenager!).

IQs:

1) Hmm, could this be Adlai Stevenson? Or maybe whatsisname Anderson, the third party candidate from 1980... Okay, editing this because given the answers to the two other questions, I'm gonna say there's a theme. So no, I am not... crap, what was his first name? James? John? John Anderson?

2) No, I am not Marian Anderson. Didn't I use her as an IQ question myself a couple of rounds ago? No, wait, that was for Eleanor Roosevelt, during my "R" round.

3) No, I am not Anderson Cooper. Trivia: I've known he was gay since 1996 or so, because one of my colleagues dated him for a while, and my sister & I saw them together at the Star Trek: First Contact NY premiere. So, cute, gay, and a Star Trek fan. Not bad!

DQs:

Real
    Male
    Not alive
    Died before 1900
    Died after 1800
    Not a businessman
    Died after 1850
    Not American

Registered
    Sep 2009

Correct as to all three of my IQs. I'm a big admirer of Hamilton, although his personal life was rather messy and, as smart as he was, he didn't always make the best decisions. I highly recommend the Chernow bio - it's great. And I didn't know Anderson Cooper is a Star Trek fan - cool!

DQs:

Were you the fictitious leader of a lunar uprising?
    Was the male lead of Thornton Wilder's The Skin of Our Teeth very loosely based on you?
    You are fictional. Did your future husband tell you during a picnic that some kind of fascism might not be too bad?

Registered
    Feb 2009

2. Are you a Grand Prix driver currently racing for Ferrari
    2. Fernando Alonso

DQs:
    European

IQs:
    1. Did you have a wardrobe of the same suits so you could spend your brain power on more interesting topics?
    2. Were you known for promoting an early form of bodybuilding?
    3. Did you defend an innocent crippled man, who was found guilty based purely on the race of the accused and defendant?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Correct as to all three of my IQs. I'm a big admirer of Hamilton, although his personal life was rather messy and, as smart as he was, he didn't always make the best decisions.
    Choosing to duel was probably his biggest one.

EH IQs:

1. Stumped
    2. I just read this play for the first time two months ago, freaky. And what a weird thing it was. Not a fan, although perhaps it needs to be seen to be appreciated. Anyway, no, I am not Adam.
    3. Hmm. Is this the woman from The Manchurian Candidate? For some reason that's the first picnic that springs to mind. But even if it is her (and I doubt it) I don't know her name, so stumped again.

CIAS IQs:

1. Sounds vaguely familiar but stumped.
    2. No, I am not Charles Atlas.
    3. Very sadly, no, I am not my favorite fictional father and one of the best characters ever, Atticus Finch.

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Male
    3. Last name begins with 'A'
    4. Not alive
    5. Died before 1900
    6. Died after 1800
    7. Not a businessman
    8. Died after 1850
    9. Not American
    10. European

Registered
    Feb 2009

IQs:
    1. Did you have a wardrobe of the same suits so you could spend your brain power on more interesting topics?
    1. Albert Einstein
    Correct for the other two IQs.

DQ.
    1. Involved in politics

IQs
    1. Did you weep when you ran out of places to go?
    2. Were you responsible for popularising Christmas trees in Britain?
    3. Did you blow up New York with a giant psychic monstrosity causing the death of millions and bringing about world peace?

Registered
    Mar 2012

1. Albert Einstein
    Clearly he also saved time for deep thought by eliminating his hair-brushing routine, ha ha.

IQs
    3. Did you blow up New York with a giant psychic monstrosity causing the death of millions and bringing about world peace?
    1. Sounds like a childlike character from Dr. Seuss or Roald Dahl or someone like that. Oh hang on... Is this a reference to Alexander? Didn't he have a quote about looking upon his empire and being upset that he had no more places to conquer? Eh, might as well try it: No, I am not Alexander the Great?

2. Total WAG: No, I am not Prince Albert?

3. This could be the fantasy of any number of East Coast Liberal-hating right wingers. It reminds me of Watchmen but maybe I'm confusing the target with the baddie because his name was Dr. Manhattan. Yeah I've no clue. Stumped like one of those Christmas trees.

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Male
    4. Not alive
    5. Died before 1900
    6. Died after 1800
    7. Not a businessman
    8. Died after 1850
    9. Not American
    10. European
    11. Not involved in politics
    Last edited by choie; 15 Jun 2014 at 04:44 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

IQs
    Correct on the first two - For number #3 the villain was indeed from Watchmen, but is in fact Adrian Veidt.

DQ:
    Scientist/Inventor?

IQs:
    1. Did your most famous novel involve the destruction of two large guns?
    2. Did you play one of the main supporting cast in the film of the novel?
    3. Did you leads the British troops to chase Napoleon out of Spain?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh you've gotta be kidding me, I was a) right about Alexander and Prince Albert, and b) almost right about the NYC destruction thingy? Alex was another last-second guess a la Anakin Skywalker, and I totally pulled Prince Albert out of nowhere. Welll.... okay, maybe not nowhere--I was aware that Germans had a Christmas tree tradition (hence the Christmas carol O Tannenbaum), and that kinda led me to think of Albert, but still. Anyway, I'm impressed. Regarding the third question, wasn't there a character named Manhattan in the Watchmen book who started out good but turned evil? A giant blue dude? Or was he not the real villain? It's been a while since I read that.

Ooh, your first two are really interesting. So an author was also an actor? Or perhaps vice versa? Hmm. The two large guns thing makes me think of cannons (which would be a historical novel), a WWII flick, or sci-fi master weapons. Was the film The Guns of Navarone? I've never seen it and I don't know if the 'guns' in the title is a reference to the heroes or some baddie weapons. Not that it matters because I have no idea who wrote it, much less taking part in it. Yeah I'm gonna have to say stumped here for both 1 and 2.

3. I'm gonna go with my gut since I vaguely remember that his real name begins with an A, and also this is the only Napoleonic hero I know (thank you, Blackadder III!*)--and unlike certain others in this game, you don't tend to pick obscure low-ranked army/navy officers whom you'd only know by reading some historical military textbook : No, I am not Arthur, Duke of Wellington?

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Male
    4. Not alive
    5. Died before 1900
    6. Died after 1800
    7. Not a businessman
    8. Died after 1850
    9. Not American
    10. European
    12. Not a scientist/inventor

* Not that I wouldn't know the Duke of Wellington without Stephen Fry's hilarious interpretation, of course, but it does make him a lot more vivid in my mind.
    Last edited by choie; 16 Jun 2014 at 05:02 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous DQs:

Were you the fictitious leader of a lunar uprising? - Adam Selene, in Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
    Was the male lead of Thornton Wilder's The Skin of Our Teeth very loosely based on you? - Yes, Adam, the original dude.
    You are fictional. Did your future husband tell you during a picnic that some kind of fascism might not be too bad? - Padme Amidala, in one of the SW prequels.

DQs:

Best known for the creative arts?
    British?

IQs:

Were you a creepy woman in a Lovecraft story?
    Were you once the radio pitchman for Bonefish Grille?
    Were you a leader who had a son and a daughter whose names started with the same letter as yours?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Were you a creepy woman in a Lovecraft story?
    Were you once the radio pitchman for Bonefish Grille?
    Were you a leader who had a son and a daughter whose names started with the same letter as yours?
    No idea on the first two, but on #3 I'll grin and use my go-to reference: No, I am not Empress/Tsarina Alexandra Romanov (mom of several including Alexei and Anastasia).

DQs:
    1. Real
    2. Male
    4. Not alive
    5. Died before 1900
    6. Died after 1800
    7. Not a businessman
    8. Died after 1850
    9. Not American
    10. European
    13. Best known for the creative arts
    14. Not British

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Were you a creepy woman in a Lovecraft story? - Asenath Waite, in "The Thing on the Doorstep"
    Were you once the radio pitchman for Bonefish Grille? - Alec Baldwin
    Were you a leader who had a son and a daughter whose names started with the same letter as yours? - Yes, the Romanovs

DQs:

Born in or east of Vienna?
    Best known for the performing arts?

IQs:

Is your codename "Duchess"?
    Were you a famous Hollywood gossip columnist?
    Did you have a dog named after one of the Four Musketeers?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Jun 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yay, for once I choose Alexandra and she's the right guess.

Is your codename "Duchess"?
    Were you a famous Hollywood gossip columnist?
    Did you have a dog named after one of the Four Musketeers?
    1. Heh. No, I am not Sterling Archer.
    2. Not sure how well-known she is outside NY, but no, I am not Cindy Adams?
    3. Oh crap, this is from Enterprise, isn't it? There was a dog named Porthos. (Not enough roll-eye smilies in the world here...) Was the captain's dog? I know he starts with an A. I would've assumed it was the alien dude, or one of the comic relief characters, if only because it strikes me as weird that a captain would bring a dog along on a mission. But for now I'll guess no, I am not Captain Archer. And it should tell you how little I care about this series that I don't even know the lead character's first name but remember the stupid dog.

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Male
    4. Not alive
    5. Died before 1900
    6. Died after 1800
    7. Not a businessman
    8. Died after 1850
    9. Not American
    10. European
    14. Not British
    15. Not born in or east of Vienna
    16. Not best known for the performing arts

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Is your codename "Duchess"? - Yes, Sterling Archer from the raunchy, goofy, almost always funny FX spy spoof Archer.
    Were you a famous Hollywood gossip columnist? - I'll rephrase.
    Did you have a dog named after one of the Four Musketeers? - Yes, Capt. Jonathan Archer of the Enterprise NX-01.

IQs:

Were you a famous male gossip columnist who worked in and wrote about Hollywood?
    Were you Ike's White House chief of staff?
    Were you an artist who still has his or her own gallery in San Francisco?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hmm, interesting!

Were you a famous male gossip columnist who worked in and wrote about Hollywood?
    Were you Ike's White House chief of staff?
    Were you an artist who still has his or her own gallery in San Francisco?
    1. Huh, a famous male columnist. It was hard enough to think of anyone other than Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons. Men were relatively rare in that field until recently, and I can't think of any with "A" as a name. Earl Wilson, Walter Winchell... heck, even today I can only think of Perez Hilton. Stumped very badly.

2. For some reason the only person I can think of from roughly that era is Alger Hiss, and I know that's not right. So, stumped again.

3. Oy, the wording to this is confusing. No longer an artist but now a gallery owner who's still alive? A dead artist whose gallery is still around? It's academic since I can't think of many artists with "A" names. I dunno, no I'm not Ansel Adams? (My other choice is Andy Warhol but he seems like he'd have an NYC gallery. At least Adams is somewhere in the West.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

[QUOTE=CatInASuit;238357]
    Correct on the first two - For number #3 the villain was indeed from Watchmen, but is in fact Adrian Veidt.

IQs:
    Veidt was always the villain in the novel, Dr. Manhattan held himself above humanity after the accident, neither really good nor evil.

The book is indeed the Guns of Navarone and the author was Alaistair McLean, one of the finest thriller writers there was.
    The actor from the film was Anthony Quinn.

I'm going to ponder my DQs for now.

Registered
    Mar 2012

OMG, I have no idea how I misread your questions so badly. It doesn't even make sense, because in my pea-sized brain, the first question was asking about the author of the gun-related book, and the second question was asking if you, i.e. the author, also had a small part in that film. But that would make the first two questions have the same answer! What was I thinking?! If I'd realized my dumb mistake I probably might've guessed #2 correctly, since I do have the vague knowledge that Quinn is one of large cast of the film. Where's the slap-headed smiley when you need him?

Stupidest close-call ever. And I guess I was right w/Wellington? That's something, anyway. Well, I deserved to lose the other DQs, that's for sure.

Between you and EH you've got five DQs, so you've got good chances of figuring this guy out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

One slap headed smiley coming up :

Yes, you were right on Welliington.

I'll take one of those DQs.

DQs:
    1. Best known for his writing

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ah thank you for the smiley, I was too lazy to remember the code (or even to click "advanced" so I could access the icons directly).

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Male
    4. Not alive
    5. Died before 1900
    6. Died after 1800
    7. Not a businessman
    8. Died after 1850
    9. Not American
    10. European
    14. Not British
    17. Best known for his writing

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Were you a famous male gossip columnist who worked in and wrote about Hollywood? - Army Archerd, of Variety magazine, I believe.
    Were you Ike's White House chief of staff? - Sherman Adams
    Were you an artist who still has his or her own gallery in San Francisco? - Yes, Ansel Adams. I visited the gallery once and was disappointed - very small, and very little of his own work on display.

So... a dead non-British Western European male writer, last name starts with A, died 1850-1900. No one springs to mind. What should we ask with our remaining DQs, CIAS?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, we could try narrowing down by North or South, or perhaps what type of stuff the person wrote, novels, plays and so on.

What do you think?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure.

DQs:

Born north of Vienna?
    Writer of fiction?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Well chosen, gents.

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Male
    4. Not alive
    5. Died before 1900
    6. Died after 1800
    7. Not a businessman
    8. Died after 1850
    9. Not American
    10. European
    14. Not British
    18. Born north of Vienna
    19. Best known as a writer of fiction

Registered
    Sep 2009

Still drawing a blank. Hmmm....

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think I know who this might be - hopefully a certain Danish writer whose stories I adored.

DQ: Best known for fairy tales?

Registered
    Mar 2012

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Male
    4. Not alive
    5. Died before 1900
    6. Died after 1800
    7. Not a businessman
    8. Died after 1850
    9. Not American
    10. European
    14. Not British
    18. Born north of Vienna
    19. Best known as a writer of fiction
    20. Yes, once upon a time, best known for fairy tales.

Damn you're good!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh yeah.

Do you have a statue of one of your most famous works in Copenhagen harbour and did Disney decide recently to make a film based exceedingly loosely on another of your works.

Let it go, let it go, I dislike this parody...
    Let it go, let it go, another rip-off from Disney...
    Here I stand with the fairy tale.
    Let the film play on
    Show never bothered me anyway

Registered
    Mar 2012

But of course, I am Hans Christian Andersen.

I loved Frozen, but yeah, they kept nothing from The Snow Queen except "snow" and "freezes everything." One could just as easily say C.S. Lewis based the White Witch from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe on The Snow Queen. Definitely a better and more interesting tale with two sisters and a largely sympathetic icemaker instead of yet another bitchy villainess--which was very nearly the route Disney took. Smart move in changing it.

Anyway, congrats yet again, CIAS!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nailed it, CIAS! Well done. Should've thought of Andersen.

Registered
    Feb 2009

True, Frozen as a film is actually quite good, it just bears no resemblance to the tale.

This one will probably be quick and simple. Your letter is I

Registered
    Sep 2009

IQs:

Were you nicknamed after the family dog?
    Were you a Scandinavian playwright?
    Were you a fictional Duchess of Cornwall?

Registered
    Feb 2009

IQs:

Were you nicknamed after the family dog?
    Were you a Scandinavian playwright?
    Were you a fictional Duchess of Cornwall?
    1. Indiana Jones
    2. Ibsen
    3. Oh grief, not this question again, wait its that Arthurian one isn't it. Lady Igraine????

Registered
    Sep 2009

Correct on all three. The lady's name is sometimes spelled Ygraine, so it can be used for I or Y questions!

IQs:

Were you a bugeyed costar of Sid Caesar's?
    After your father died violently, did you make a biiiiiiiiiig mistake?
    Did you, when you were a wee lad, meet the famous man after whom you were named?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Correct on all three. The lady's name is sometimes spelled Ygraine, so it can be used for I or Y questions!

IQs:

Were you a bugeyed costar of Sid Caesar's?
    After your father died violently, did you make a biiiiiiiiiig mistake?
    Did you, when you were a wee lad, meet the famous man after whom you were named?
    That has to be a first getting all three of your questions right at once.

1. For someone reason the name Irma is springing to mind, but its probably wrong, so stumped.
    2. Nope, not a clue, probably a film reference from somewhere. Stumped.
    3. Sounds scottish, but no idea either. Stumped

3DQs to you, I believe.

Registered
    Mar 2012

IQs:

1. Were you a highly regarded dancer whose love for scarves ended up causing your death one cold night?

2.. As a musician, did you have a reputation for outrageous behavior on-stage and off, and yet were such a fan of Star Trek that you played a creepy enemy on one of the ST series?

3. You're an actress yourself, but was your much more famous acting mom cause a scandal when she had an affair with your father while they were both married to other people, leading her to be ostracized for some years until she played a role that won her an Oscar?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    IQs:

1. Were you a highly regarded dancer whose love for scarves ended up causing your death one cold night?

2.. As a musician, did you have a reputation for outrageous behavior on-stage and off, and yet were such a fan of Star Trek that you played a creepy enemy on one of the ST series?

3. You're an actress yourself, but was your much more famous acting mom cause a scandal when she had an affair with your father while they were both married to other people, leading her to be ostracized for some years until she played a role that won her an Oscar?
    1. Drat, drat, I know the story, car accident when the scarf wrapped round a tyre, but I cannot remember the woman in question. Stumped
    2. So not Liberace then. Nope Stumped again.
    3. Wow, that's one hell of a story. Ummk, WAG of Isabella Rosselini?

At least 2 DQs to you.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Were you a bugeyed costar of Sid Caesar's? - Imogene Coca
    After your father died violently, did you make a biiiiiiiiiig mistake? - Isildur, Elendil's heir, didn't throw the One Ring into the fires of Mount Doom when he had the chance. Oopsie.
    Did you, when you were a wee lad, meet the famous man after whom you were named? - Washington Irving, named after George Washington.

DQs:

real?
    male?
    last name start with I?

IQs:

Did Johnny Depp play you as someone with a different occupation than your character originally had?
    Did you design the Banqueting House in London?
    Were you a scientist who wanted to make use of an android's brain in a selfish way?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Right on Isabella Rosselini, daughter of Ingrid Bergman. The other two were 1) dancer Isadora Duncan and 2) Iggy Pop, who played a Vorta on ST: DS9 (LOL about Liberace).

New IQs:

1. Were you the child of a country's leader, the parent of another leader (of the same country), and yourself that country's leader in between--with all three of you dying in office?

2. Although generally peaceful, do you get kinda hawkish during the daytime, while your otherwise gentlemanly boyfriend is a bit of a wolf during the opposite schedule?

3. Did you win six Oscars as a producer (and someone who coincidentally was born in the country from question #1), in a lengthy (indeed, record-breaking) with a director and writer?

DQs:

Taking into account the open DQs from EH...

- If real, alive (or if fictional, would s/he still be alive today)?
    - European?
    Last edited by choie; 24 Jun 2014 at 06:44 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:
    1. Real
    2. Male
    3. Last name does not start with I.
    4. Not Alive
    5. European

IQs:
    Did Johnny Depp play you as someone with a different occupation than your character originally had?
    Did you design the Banqueting House in London?
    Were you a scientist who wanted to make use of an android's brain in a selfish way?
    1. Nope stumped on this one.
    2. Inigo Jones?
    3. and stumped on this one too.

2/3 DQs to you good sir.

New IQs:

1. Were you the child of a country's leader, the parent of another leader (of the same country), and yourself that country's leader in between--with all three of you dying in office?

2. Although generally peaceful, do you get kinda hawkish during the daytime, while your otherwise gentlemanly boyfriend is a bit of a wolf during the opposite schedule?

3. Did you win six Oscars as a producer (and someone who coincidentally was born in the country from question #1), in a lengthy (indeed, record-breaking) with a director and writer?
    1. Indira Ghandi? although I didn't think her son died in office, though I could be wrong.
    2. Isabeau from LadyHawke, At least I remember the first name as Isabeau, cannot remember the surname. Excellent film though.
    3. I don't know any Indian producers, so #1 is probably wrong as well.

Take a couple of DQs depending on the answers.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh crapples, you're right about Rashiv Gandhi. Sorry about that. He was in the middle of campaigning to get back into power. Well, at least you got it correct so I don't feel that bad for having a lousy memory. And yes, indeed, #2 was of course Isabeau! Love that film too. The '80s synthesizer soundtrack almost ruins things, but otherwise, it's an enjoyable and well-cast movie. Matthew Broderick was particularly adorable. Kinda surprised it hasn't been remade yet--with all the fans of werewolves and other changeling/shapeshifters these days, you'd think some crappy attempt at exploiting it would've appeared by now. Probably starring Tom Hardy and Keira Knightley--and, of course, the omnipresent Benedict bloody Cumberbatch in the John Wood role. And perhaps Daniel Radcliffe as Philippe.

Answer #3 was Ismail Merchant, of Merchant/Ivory (A Room with a View, Howard's End, Maurice, Shakespeare Wallah and so on).

New IQs:

1. Despite being named in the first sentence of a book, not to mention its narrator, were you actually a rather minor character in this classic novel's plot?

2. Were you the glowingly lovely object of two men's adoration, one of whom survived hell thanks to his love for you, the other who was sent into it (at least a personal version of hell) when you left him the first time--and then redeemed himself by forcing you to leave him a second time?

3. Did you write one of the most beloved 20th century Christmas songs, as well as one of the only popular Easter songs, despite yourself being Jewish?

DQs:

6. First appeared in a book?
    7. Created since 1900?

Registered
    Sep 2009

...you'd think some crappy attempt at exploiting it would've appeared by now. Probably starring Tom Hardy and Keira Knightley....
    Ahem. Any movie with Keira Knightley in it is, by definition, not "crappy."

Previous IQs:

Did Johnny Depp play you as someone with a different occupation than your character originally had? He played Ichabod Crane as a detective, not a schoolteacher, in Sleepy Hollow.
    Did you design the Banqueting House in London? - Yes, Inigo Jones. Beautiful building - I saw it in late 1985.*
    Were you a scientist who wanted to make use of an android's brain in a selfish way? - Ira Graves, who wanted to download his consciousness into Data, in an early episode of ST:TNG.

choie, you might want to reconsider your latest DQs. This is a real person.

DQs:

British?
    Died since 1900?

IQs:

Was Corazon Aquino no fan of yours?
    Were you a priest after whom a prominent university was named?
    Were you a top healthcare advisor to Hillary Clinton in her husband's first term?

* http://benwilliamsworld.files.wordpr...1/img_5946.jpg
    http://www.ampersandevents.co.uk/upl...enue-3-430.jpg
    http://www.partyingredients.co.uk/im...ng-House-1.jpg

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh holy crud, EH, how the heck did I miss that "Real" -- it's like my brain is on Opposite Day or something! How embarrassing. I was so psyched we were doing someone fictional again, too. Thank you for catching that.

Oookay, then just one new DQ, since I'd like to wait on the answers to EH's first.

8. Known primarily for being a scientist or inventor?

(As far as KK and whether any film can be crappy with her in it, I'll simply say three words: The Phantom Menace.)
    Last edited by choie; 25 Jun 2014 at 11:37 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

All the scenes with Keira were great; all the scenes with Natalie Portman sucked. There! That was easy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Keira Knightly was in Phantom Menace...hold on there was a film called Phantom Menace. Can't have been that memorable.

DQs:
    1. Real
    2. Male
    4. Not Alive
    5. European
    6. British
    7. Died before 1900
    8. Known primarily for being a scientist or inventor.

Registered
    Feb 2009

New IQs:

1. Despite being named in the first sentence of a book, not to mention its narrator, were you actually a rather minor character in this classic novel's plot?

2. Were you the glowingly lovely object of two men's adoration, one of whom survived hell thanks to his love for you, the other who was sent into it (at least a personal version of hell) when you left him the first time--and then redeemed himself by forcing you to leave him a second time?

3. Did you write one of the most beloved 20th century Christmas songs, as well as one of the only popular Easter songs, despite yourself being Jewish?
    1. This is Moby Dick isn't it.umm, wait it's Ishmael.
    2. This sounds like a horror movie or a greek myth. either way. Stumped.
    3. Irving Berlin?

Take at least 1 DQ.

IQs:

Was Corazon Aquino no fan of yours?
    Were you a priest after whom a prominent university was named?
    Were you a top healthcare advisor to Hillary Clinton in her husband's first term?
    1. Imelda Marcos
    2. No idea, Stumped
    3. Nope, definitely, no idea. Stumped

Take 2 DQs

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yes indeedy on #1 and #3; #2 is most definitely not a horror movie. Your white-linen-suit-wearing alter ego over in the RPG forum would give a mildly disappointed, almost Gallic shake of his head at your not knowing this one. It's Isla Lund, of Casablanca, with Laszlo surviving a Concentration Camp, and Rick desolate after she left but eventually redeemed when he pushed her away.

DQ:

9. Died before 1800?

IQs:

- Was your ukulele-accompanied cover of a song (one that Judy Garland made famous) beloved in its own right but (IMHO) was over-used incessantly for multiple emotional commercials and montages, particularly in the late 1990s/early 2000s?

- Did you support a guy who got a bit lost and couldn't find his way to his intended destination, but is still considered a great explorer (at least, by old-fashioned teachers) because of where he ended up instead?

- Although your impressive intelligence and creativity bore many figurative fruits, does historical legend credit a literal fruit for what is perhaps your most famous discovery?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes indeedy on #1 and #3; #2 is most definitely not a horror movie. Your white-linen-suit-wearing alter ego over in the RPG forum would give a mildly disappointed, almost Gallic shake of his head at your not knowing this one. It's Isla Lund, of Casablanca, with Laszlo surviving a Concentration Camp, and Rick desolate after she left but eventually redeemed when he pushed her away.

DQ:

9. Died before 1800?

IQs:

- Was your ukulele-accompanied cover of a song (one that Judy Garland made famous) beloved in its own right but (IMHO) was over-used incessantly for multiple emotional commercials and montages, particularly in the late 1990s/early 2000s?

- Did you support a guy who got a bit lost and couldn't find his way to his intended destination, but is still considered a great explorer (at least, by old-fashioned teachers) because of where he ended up instead?

- Although your impressive intelligence and creativity bore many figurative fruits, does historical legend credit a literal fruit for what is perhaps your most famous discovery?
    Humph, I think took your question a little more literally when it came to hell than perhaps you intended, hence the horror movie comment.

DQs:
    1. Real
    2. Male
    4. Not Alive
    5. European
    6. British
    7. Died before 1900
    8. Known primarily for being a scientist or inventor.
    9. Died before 1800?

IQs:
    1. I have no idea although I'm sure you will tell me I have heard this advert.
    2. Queen Isabella of Spain supporting Christopher Columbus
    3. He never discovered gravity, it was there all along, but yes I am Isaac Newton - one of the greatest minds to ever live on this planet

Congrats choie - you know me too well, although given the DQs perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

+ Reply to thread