+ Reply to thread
Page 27 of 190 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 9487

Thread: Let's play Botticelli!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Previous IQs:

Are you the most famous person from Dixon, Illinois? - So close. THIS was Ronald Reagan!
    Did you fake an assassination attempt on yourself? - The title character in the political satire Bob Roberts.
    Are you a Federal officeholder with the middle name "Glover"? - Yes, Chief Justice Roberts.
    Oh holy crud, the Reagan thing is hilarious. I was trying to think of musicians! Bob Roberts is yet another film I've missed, but I really should see it. I really like Tim Robbins and the cynical political tale seems right up my alley.

EH IQs:

1. What is this, "I Love the '80s"? No, I am not Donald Regan.

2. No, I am not Easy Rawlins, from the wonderful Walter Mosely series.

3. Oh geeze. Jazz musicians, "R." I should know this. My mother would be irked. But STUMPED.[/QUOTE]

CIAS IQs, and also thank you for the kudos!

1. Geeze. No, I am not Richard Harris? He left his cake out in the rain somewhere in MacArthur Park, I hear. No, that's not even a serious guess. STUMPED.

2. No, I am not... oh damn, this could be River Song or the Rani. Unless I'm mistaken, River wasn't involved in a regeneration... wasn't she only with 11? So I'll take a stab and say no, I am not the Rani.

3. HEE! No, I am not Ralph!

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Not male

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit View post
    IQs:
    1. Were you the only one capable of leading a once a year party due to the inclement weather?
    2. Did you mimic a companion to fool the Doctor after a regeneration to gain access to his intellect?
    3. Are you a puppet pianist?
    1. Rudolph the red nosed reindeer
    Correct on the Rani and its Rowlf, not Ralph but close enough.

DQ:
    Last name begins with R

IQ:
    1. Were you the arch enemy of Basil the great mouse detective?
    2. Were you the longest running contestant on Whose line is it anyway?
    3. Did you have a Welsh Hamster called Errol as your technician?
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Did you and the White House Chief of Staff swap jobs? - Yes, Donald Regan (and Jim Baker).
    Did Denzel Washington play you in a noir drama? - Yes, Easy Rawlins, in Devil in a Blue Dress.
    Are you a jazz musician who played Oberlin College in the Eighties? - Sonny Rollins.

DQ:

Last name start with R?

IQs:

Were you carried through a plane in basketball uniform?
    Did you have something in common with a politician's wife in a Heinlein novel?
    Did you play Veruca Salt's dad?

Registered
    Sep 2009

dp
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 25 Mar 2014 at 06:02 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Great Rudolph question, CIAS. Good one! Holy cow, the Rollins was a total stab in the dark. Literally the only jazz musician I could think of with an "R" name.

CIAS IQs:

1. No, I am not... Ratigan? I don't remember that film too well, but I feel like it was a play on "Rat" somehow.

2. No, I am not Ryan Stiles. LOVE that show!

3. Oh dear, this is going to be some obscure UK cartoon, right? Alas I am Stumped!

EH's IQs:

1. Is this an Airplane reference? Hmm. I know very little about that. And I might be wrong and it's not Airplane. Stumped!

2. Oh Heinlein can bite me. Stumped and I take pride in that fact!

3. Was this Leonard Rossiter? No, wait, I don't think so, I'm picturing someone with lighter hair and heavier. Damn! Stumped again!

DQs

1. Real
    2. Not male
    3. Last name begins with R

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Were you carried through a plane in basketball uniform? - Yes, copilot Roger Murdock (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) in Airplane! You must see this movie if you haven't already. A comedy classic.
    Did you have something in common with a politician's wife in a Heinlein novel? - Ahem. I will overlook your misplaced hostility towards one of the greatest sf writers of all time. Nancy Reagan consulted with an astrologer in guiding her husband's career, just as the wife of the North American leader did in Stranger in a Strange Land.
    Did you play Veruca Salt's dad? - Roy Kinnear (his son Rory is a prominent Shakespearean actor today; I saw him recently in a simulcast of Othello).

DQs:

Living?
    Born since 1900?
    American?

IQs:

Were you a trusted advisor to Walt Disney?
    Was your wife Cersei and your brother-in-law Jaime?
    Did you hang out in Rhosgobel?

Registered
    Feb 2009

IQ:
    1. Were you the arch enemy of Basil the great mouse detective?
    2. Were you the longest running contestant on Whose line is it anyway?
    3. Did you have a Welsh Hamster called Errol as your technician?

1. Professor Rattigan -close enough
    2. Yup to Ryan Styles
    3. Roland Rat - if you indeed have heard of him

DQ:
    Known for working in the arts ?

IQ:
    1. Are you known for draining the powers of other mutants you touch?
    2. Was your grave recently discovered under a car park in Leicester?
    3. Were you the star of a self titular comedy show about a suburban family?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Did you have something in common with a politician's wife in a Heinlein novel? - Ahem. I will overlook your misplaced hostility towards one of the greatest sf writers of all time. Nancy Reagan consulted with an astrologer in guiding her husband's career, just as the wife of the North American leader did in Stranger in a Strange Land.
    I liked (up to a point) Stranger, but when I got to Farnham's Freehold and his nauseatingly idealized (self-insert, IMHO) Farnham's apologia for getting to sex up his own daughter, and then Friday and the heroine's line "if you're going to be raped, might as well lie back and enjoy it," I hoped Heinlein managed to have such "enjoyments" himself, and gave up on the freak.

EH IQs:

1. No, I am not... Roy Disney?

2. Oh God, GoT. At least this one I think I know. No, I am not King Robert?

3. This is from LOTR, I know that. I can't remember the character because I still haven't read the damn books. ARE YOU HAPPY FOR SHAMING ME??? You're gonna keep doing it too, I know it. Sigh. Stumped like Sauron after his finger got cut off.

3. Roland Rat - if you indeed have heard of him
    Oh, that's not animated, it's like a puppet show, isn't it? You guys have more of those than we do. I think Barney is the only one that I can remember. Anyway, the answer is presumably Roland even if I haven't heard of him, right? Not your fault I'm ignorant.

CIAS IQs:

1. No, I am not... Rogue? The Anna Paquin chick? I only saw the first movie and never read the comics, and I don't even remember her powers. But she's the only mutant I can recall with an R name, so...

2. No, I am not Richard III, aka Crookback Dick. That's got to be one of the most awesome finds ever. Actually kinda funny you asked about him, because... well, no. Don't want to give anything away.

3. No, I am not Roseanne Barr? Although I'm not sure the Connors were really suburban... OTOH they weren't in the city, and they weren't farmers, so what else would they be? All right, let's go with that.

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Not male
    4. Not living
    5. Born since 1900
    6. Not American
    7. Not known for working in the arts

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Were you a trusted advisor to Walt Disney? - Yes, his brother Roy.
    Was your wife Cersei and your brother-in-law Jaime? - Yes, King Robert Baratheon, First of His Name.
    Did you hang out in Rhosgobel? - Radagast the Brown, a wizard.

DQ:

Political/military?

IQs:

Did you once command His Imperial Majesty's Battlecruiser MacArthur?
    Did you sign an interoffice memo (of sorts) with just your first name?
    Did your son write a much-praised biography of you?

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    ...I liked (up to a point) Stranger, but when I got to Farnham's Freehold and his nauseatingly idealized (self-insert, IMHO) Farnham's apologia for getting to sex up his own daughter, and then Friday and the heroine's line "if you're going to be raped, might as well lie back and enjoy it," I hoped Heinlein managed to have such "enjoyments" himself, and gave up on the freak....
    I will agree those aren't his best books. Try one of my favorites like Glory Road, The Moon is A Harsh Mistress, The Rolling Stones (all with strong female characters) or Starship Troopers, The Puppet Masters, Space Cadet, Have Space Suit - Will Travel, or his many excellent short stories, if you're willing to try again.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hmm, all right. Well, let me get through Tolkien before I move on to the science fiction genre.

Radagast! I know that name, yeah. Rats.

EH IQs:

1. This can't be a real-life ship, because it sounds like a Japanese ship and there's no way one is named MacArthur. But I don't know what fictional universe would have one, either. So Stumped.

2. Total stab in the dark: No, I'm not Theodore Roosevelt. (LOL, no, I'm sure it wasn't.) Stumped.

3. If this turns out to be Theodore Roosevelt I'm gonna be really pissed off. Actually, wait, I think FDR's son was a biographer. Okay, let's go with No, I am not Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Not male
    4. Not living
    5. Born since 1900
    6. Not American
    8. Not directly political/military, no. I'm not quite sure how to answer this one, to be honest.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Correct on all 3 - and I'm sure I'll find out in due course what's so amusing about me mentioning Richard III.

IQs:
    1. Did your brother stop you becoming a god when he found out what kind of god you would be?
    2. Were you punched out by an angry wife at the end of Die Hard?
    3. Did you play someone who was transparently there?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Correct on all 3 - and I'm sure I'll find out in due course what's so amusing about me mentioning Richard III.
    It's a tenuous connection but the amusement to your question will indeed be explained in due course.

1. I can't imagine how one would stop anyone from becoming a God. Is this a Hercules thing? Hmm. Stumped!

2. I have no recollection of this happening so it's probably a different actor/character, but No, I am not Alan Rickman?

3. No, I am not Claude Rains (who played The Invisible Man)? I will be super-impressed if this is the correct answer*, just because it's such an old film. But then again, you know Paul Henreid so why not another Casablanca cast member?

* That is to say, it is a correct answer so even if it's not the one you're thinking of, I'm gonna count this as answered. I'm just interested to know if it's your correct answer.
    Last edited by choie; 28 Mar 2014 at 11:13 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

IQs:
    1. Did your brother stop you becoming a god when he found out what kind of god you would be?
    2. Were you punched out by an angry wife at the end of Die Hard?
    3. Did you play someone who was transparently there?
    1. Raistlin Majere from the Dragonlance chronicles.
    2. Richard Thornburg was the reporter played by the excellent William Atherton.
    3. It was indeed Claude Rains - congrats indeed

It's a tenuous connection but the amusement to your question will indeed be explained in due course.
    I certainly hope so, I'm curious about unanswered questions like that.

I'll think on the DQs and post them shortly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Did you once command His Imperial Majesty's Battlecruiser MacArthur? - Roderick, Lord Blaine, in the Niven and Pournelle sf epic The Mote in God's Eye.
    Did you sign an interoffice memo (of sorts) with just your first name? - Rick Blaine approved a charge slip at his Casablanca bar and grille simply by writing "OK - Rick."
    Did your son write a much-praised biography of you? - Randolph Churchill, dad of Winston.

DQ:

Married to a famous man?
    Died since 1950?
    Famous for just a single incident or event?

IQs:

Were you Earl's brother and Joy's former brother-in-law?
    Were you a lizardlike creature who could turn invisible?
    Were you "the only law west of the Pecos"?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Previous IQs:

Did you once command His Imperial Majesty's Battlecruiser MacArthur? - Roderick, Lord Blaine, in the Niven and Pournelle sf epic The Mote in God's Eye.
    Did you sign an interoffice memo (of sorts) with just your first name? - Rick Blaine approved a charge slip at his Casablanca bar and grille simply by writing "OK - Rick."
    Did your son write a much-praised biography of you? - Randolph Churchill, dad of Winston.
    An interoffice memo "of sorts" was your clue? How oblique can you get?! Now if you'd added "is your first appearance in a movie a shot of you signing an interoffice memo of sorts..." then I might've had a chance in hell of getting it. Maybe!

I just looked up Elliot Roosevelt and I think I should get credit for that. He did write a much-heralded bio of his parents, as it turns out. (I believe he also wrote mysteries starring Eleanor as a detective.) But since one of your DQs isn't gonna be of much help, I suppose I might as well let you have all of them.

IQs:

1. No, I am not Randy from My Name Is Earl
    2. Oh now, see, if you hadn't coupled this with #1 I might not've thought of him, but: No, I am not Randall from Monsters Inc.
    3. No, I am not Judge Roy Bean, whom I know you asked me about before because I remember mentioning the Lillie Langtry connection.

YES! Take that, "interoffice memo" guy!

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Not male
    4. Not living
    5. Born since 1900
    6. Not American
    8. Not directly political/military, no.
    9. Not married to a famous man
    10. Did not die since 1950
    11. Mmm, no, not famous for just a single incident or event. I'd say there is an incident/event that she's most famous for, but that's not the sum total of her fame.
    Last edited by choie; 28 Mar 2014 at 11:43 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

You are correct as to all three of my IQs. Well done.

IQs:

Were you one of the first literary British vampires?
    Were you a noted British parliamentarian of the past 50 years who never became Prime Minister?
    Were you a great early baseball star who shares a last name with a noted American musician?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Fine. Now I'm curious because I like trivia and knowing stuff, even though I admit I'm not that good at either.

This game is confusing, and yes I read the first page of this thread.

So if you guys want someone who is awesome at some weird trivia and is under the age of seventy involved, could you please point me to like an animated diagram or whatever? Someone did a good thing for "Giant Steps," with like colored balls and stuff, so help me out, please? I'm not good at games, but at least I don't not play chess and bridge and gin so I don't not unlike games.

I'm confused.

ETA and also the guess word game is awesome. But I'm mad because I should be able to get these, just by working them out, but the words are hard. That's a good one, but it takes me a while to figure things out, and then I'm away from a computer, and then.....it's a good game. Botticelli if I could understand it could be good.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 Mar 2014 at 11:00 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:
    12. Alive?
    13. European?

IQs:
    1. Are you known for sorting out Kitchen Nightmares?
    2. Were you the object of Fire Chief's affection despite the size of his proboscis
    3. Are you an American beauty known for her fur bikini when she was younger?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Fine. Now I'm curious because I like trivia and knowing stuff, even though I admit I'm not that good at either.

This game is confusing, and yes I read the first page of this thread....
    If you've read the first page (including the original post, which has links to the Botticelli rules on Wiki as well as to a previous game), I guess I don't know what you don't understand. Why not just try playing, consistent with what you've seen so far, and we'll (politely, of course) let you know how you're doing?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 30 Mar 2014 at 10:13 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

================================================== =

Think of it as a simple 20 questions game, except the answer is always a person (rather than animal, vegetable or mineral).

1. One person is "it" -- I'm "it" now -- meaning that I've thought of a person with an initial. I tell the other players what the initial is. In this case, it's "R."

2. The players get a total of 20 yes/no questions to narrow down whom it could be. However, before you can ask me one of those yes/no questions (which are called "Direct Questions"), you have to "earn" them.

3. To earn a DQ, you as a player have to think of up to 3 people who share that initial (either first or last name, doesn't matter). Then you ask the "it" (me) specific questions (which are called "Indirect Questions") to see if I can guess whom you're asking about. If I can't, you've stumped me, and earned your DQ.

4. If I come up with someone who matches your question but isn't actually the person you were thinking of, I still "win" that round. For example, you could think of Franklin Roosevelt and ask, "Are you a member of a famous wealthy New York family who became president?" If I guess Theodore Roosevelt, that doesn't count as a wrong answer even though he's not whom you were thinking of, because TR does match the requirements of your question.

To show you the difference between a "Direct Question" and an "Indirect Question" --

Direct Question: "Are you alive?"
    Indirect Question: "Are you a president who was known for falling asleep and eating jellybeans?"

5. If you do stump me, you start asking yes/no questions (one for each "stumped" question) to narrow down the person I'm thinking of. As you see in my previous post, the list of answers to all the DQs I've been asked in this round so far are:

1. Real
    2. Not male
    4. Not living
    5. Born since 1900
    6. Not American
    11. No, not famous for just a single incident or event

So, as EH says, just start of by thinking of some people with "R" as an initial, then ask me a question to see if I can guess whom you're thinking of. Look at all the questions Elendil's Heir and CatInASuit have asked me so you don't ask any duplicates.

================================================

Okay, back to the questions.

EH IQs:

1. No, I am not Ruthven! Wow, good question.

2. I am extremely embarrassed to say I am stumped. I have no idea why I can't think of anyone... what kind of Anglophile am I? CIAS, forgive me! All I can think of is Jacob Rees-Mogg, and I doubt he'd be considered noteworthy enough. (I only know him because his father's mentioned in a sketch on A Bit of Fry and Laurie.)

3. No, I am not... Jackie Robinson? (Shares name w/Smokey Robinson?)

CIAS's IQs:

1. No, I am not Gordon Ramsay, you fucking pillock!

2. No, I am not Roxanne from Roxanne

3. No, I am not... Racquel Welch? Boy, any way I spell that it looks wrong.

(Hey you still get a DQ, because one of the ones you just asked was already answered. See #4)

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Not male
    4. Not living
    5. Born since 1900
    6. Not American
    11. Mmm, no, not famous for just a single incident or event
    12. European, by most standards
    Last edited by choie; 31 Mar 2014 at 10:00 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Correct on all 3 again. I also appear to have duplicated question 4, so its two DQs. Not that it will help much.

DQs:
    13. Scientist?
    14. Carried out what was considered a male role during her life?

IQs:
    1. Did you commit suicide when your teenage wife was apparently found dead?
    2. Are you a talking flying squirrel?
    3. Was it joked that you were not even the best at your instrument by your talented bandmates?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Correct on all 3 again. I also appear to have duplicated question 4, so its two DQs. Not that it will help much.
    Oh, that's the duplicate I was talking about--the "not living" question. Did you also have a DQ left over? Sorry, forgot about that!

IQs:

1. No, I am not Romeo? Took me a while.. I kept trying to think of rock/country singers!

2. No, I am not Rocky from Rocky & Bullwinkle

3. No, I am not Ringo Starr, and John was an asshat to say that (admittedly funny, but wrong: Paul's drumming was quite good as we can hear on "Back in the USSR"--and he supposedly also came up with the awesome rhythm Ringo played in "Ticket to Ride"--but Ringo was hella underrated; "Day in the Life" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" are proof of a great drummer right there)

Woohoo I'm on a roll, boys! You may need to pull out some more obscure UK children's shows, fantasy characters or comics trivia!

DQs:

1. Real
    2. Not male
    4. Not living
    5. Born since 1900
    6. Not American
    13. Not a scientist
    14. Did not carry out a so-called male role

Registered
    Feb 2009

Your wish is my command...I think.

IQs:
    1. Were you, until this season, Liverpool's top scorer in a single premiership season?
    2. Are you one of the few women with access to the Long Room?
    3. Do you have a part time panda for a father and a tomboy for a betrothed?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ha! Well, I deserved those. The only thing I even recognize is the Long Room reference--that's part of Lord's, isn't it? Otherwise, I'm rather curious to know what in the heck a "part time panda" is. What is he the rest of the time?

Take your three DQs, and well played.

Registered
    Feb 2009

IQs:
    1. Were you, until this season, Liverpool's top scorer in a single premiership season?
    2. Are you one of the few women with access to the Long Room?
    3. Do you have a part time panda for a father and a tomboy for a betrothed?
    1. Robbie Fowler
    2. Rachel Heyhoe-Flint, former England Women's cricket captain
    3. Ranma Saotome from Ranma 1/2. His father is human the other half of the time. Water dependent of course.

Hmm, time to think of some DQs.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Were you one of the first literary British vampires? - Yes, Lord Ruthven.
    Were you a noted British parliamentarian of the past 50 years who never became Prime Minister? - Roy Hattersley.
    Were you a great early baseball star who shares a last name with a noted American musician? - Jackie Robinson wasn't all that "early." This was Rogers Hornsby/Bruce Hornsby.

DQs:

British?
    Died naturally?

IQs:

Have you written best-selling bios of both Churchill and Gladstone?
    Did a U.S. President liken you to an Old Testament figure?
    Did you win an Oscar playing an old newspaperman?

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:

1. Sportswoman?
    2. Has something named after her?

I'll keep one in reserve.

Registered
    Mar 2012

EH IQs:

1. Stumped.
    2. Good lord, that could be anyone. Stumped.
    3. No, I am not Jason Robards (for All the President's Men; he wasn't personally old, but Ben Brantlee was certainly old school with tons of experience, so I'm counting this one!)

DQs:

I'll keep one in reserve.
    DQs:

1. Real
    2. Not male
    4. Not living
    5. Born since 1900
    6. Not American
    13. Not a scientist
    14. Did not carry out a so-called male role
    15. Not British
    16. Did not die naturally (verrry good question, EH)
    17. Not known as a sportswoman
    18. Has something named after her (this one's pretty open-ended, but as asked, I'd say the answer is certainly "yes")

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Have you written best-selling bios of both Churchill and Gladstone? - Roy Jenkins.
    Did a U.S. President liken you to an Old Testament figure? - Bill Clinton likened assassinated Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin to Isaac.
    Did you win an Oscar playing an old newspaperman? - Yes, Jason Robards in All the President's Men.

Just two more DQs left. What should we ask, CIAS? We have a non-British European woman, born after 1900 and died before 1950, with a last name starting with R. Perhaps killed in WWII - a Holocaust victim? Anne Frank is the only noteworthy one I can think of.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmm, I can think of others like Violette Szabo, but I've a feeling you're on the right lines. Then again, the lady in question is not militarily involved. However, they are also famous for multiple things while alive. I'm fairly stumped on this one atm. European by most standards makes it feel like the person is from parts of East Europe/West Russia.....

IQ.
    1. Are you the allegedly missing daughter of the last Tsar of Russia?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Wow, nice one, CIAS! I was gonna suggest that good areas of exploration would be the death year or her country of origin.

Yes, I am Anastasia Romanov, the youngest daughter of Tsar Nicholas and Tsarina Alexandra (and also relative of the British royal family--she was Queen Victoria's great-granddaughter), who was murdered along with the rest of her family in 1918 after the Revolution.

After the murder, since two bodies were missing among the mass graves where the royals were kept (the bodies assumed to be the sole boy and one of the younger girls), rumors swelled that she had somehow escaped. A letter by one of the soldiers involved in the mass shooting was later discovered and stated that two of the bodies had been purposely removed from the site and buried/burned elsewhere in order to hide the fact that this was indeed the imperial family. I'm not quite sure why since it was obvious the family was dead; possibly because they didn't want people worshipping the gravesite as if they were martyrs?

Anyway, several women claimed to be Anastasia over the years, most famously Anna Anderson, who maintained her identity to her death. But after she died, when some DNA sample was found in a hospital, testing was performed to see if she was a match with Prince Phillip of England, who is part of the same female line (being a great-grandson of Anastiasia's grandmother). The tests were negative--instead, Anderson proved a match with a descendent of a young factory worker who had gone missing in the 1920s.

In 2007, rather amazingly, another grave in a forest was discovered by Russian archeologists, containing the burned remains of two young people--a boy and a young woman. Eventually DNA testing confirmed that these were indeed the missing son and daughter.

(And this incredible discovery is what I was referring to, CiAS, when I expressed amusement that you referenced the discovery of Richard III's bones.)

The stuff she was named for are the movies Anastasia (the Ingrid Bergman film and the animated film, both based on the Anna Anderson myth).

And I wasn't 100% certain whether to say she wasn't political/military; are royal daughters considered political? Neither a yes or no answer really fit. But since she was killed due to political machinations--and by the military, no less--I figured I'd say she wasn't directly political or military.

I've been fascinated with the Anastasia story since the 1980s. There was this awesome documentary on PBS about the DNA testing on Anna Anderson, which also compared ear shapes--apparently one of the unique identifiers on people, something I never knew--of Anderson with photos of Anastasia. Sure enough, their ears were very similar, which helped fuel the belief she was indeed the grand duchess. But the DNA findings on Prince Phillip conclusively proved otherwise.

Anastasia was canonized in the 2000s by the Russian Orthodox Church.

Anyhoo, well done, CIAS. Pulled that rabbit out of a hat!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, that was a bolt of inspiration indeed. Anastasia Romanov has been one of those tragic romances that kept people guessing for decades.

I now see why the Richard III reference was so amusing.

Time to think of a new person.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nicely done, CIAS. Shoulda seen that, but as is often the case with Botticelli, it was obvious only in retrospect!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ok, here we go again. This will, once again,either be quick or amusing, probably both.

Your letter is U

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yay!

1. Are you an outwardly dignified but secretly malicious political schemer who often gets his message across merely by saying he couldn't possibly comment?

2. Do you wear a cape when you should really be wearing a collar and leash?

3. Are you a pain-in-the-ass nerd who created a robot version of yourself--as if the real you isn't incredibly annoying enough?

Registered
    Sep 2009

IQs:

Were you a British hero of A Bridge Too Far?
    Did David Letterman mock your name?
    Was this your real last name, although you picked a two-syllable fake last name that is better remembered?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yay!

1. Are you an outwardly dignified but secretly malicious political schemer who often gets his message across merely by saying he couldn't possibly comment?
    2. Do you wear a cape when you should really be wearing a collar and leash?
    3. Are you a pain-in-the-ass nerd who created a robot version of yourself--as if the real you isn't incredibly annoying enough?
    1. That could be Sir Francis Urquhart, but I couldn't possibly comment - anyone saying Frank Underwood, knows not what they are talking about.
    2. Sounds like a flying dog of some description. - but Stumped.
    3. That sounds like something Wesley Crusher would do - oh well - Stumped.

2 DQs.

IQs:

Were you a British hero of A Bridge Too Far?
    Did David Letterman mock your name?
    Was this your real last name, although you picked a two-syllable fake last name that is better remembered?
    1. I should know this, I know the action is Arnhem, but I don't know the name - Stumped.
    2. I don't watch Letterman - so Stumped
    3. No idea - stumped

3 DQs

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yes, of course I was thinking Francis Urquhart. I haven't seen the Kevin Spacey version yet, although I do hear it's quite good (if anyone can do a decent job with translating the role to American, it would be Spacey). #2 was Underdog. I thought you'd get that one for sure since you knew Rocky & Bullwinkle. #3 is Steve Urkel, a nerdy sitcom character from "Family Matters." See your knowledge of crappy US TV confuses me because I can't tell whom you'd realistically have a chance of guessing.

My DQs:

1. Real?
    2. Female?
    Last edited by CatInASuit; 07 Apr 2014 at 03:07 AM. Reason: fixed first url

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, of course I was thinking Francis Urquhart. I haven't seen the Kevin Spacey version yet, although I do hear it's quite good (if anyone can do a decent job with translating the role to American, it would be Spacey). #2 was Underdog. I thought you'd get that one for sure since you knew Rocky & Bullwinkle. #3 is Steve Urkel, a nerdy sitcom character from "Family Matters." See your knowledge of crappy US TV confuses me because I can't tell whom you'd realistically have a chance of guessing.

My DQs:

1. Real?
    2. Female?
    Heh, I was close on the flying dog then. Never seen Family Matters though and I don't think it made it over the pond.

DQs:
    1. Real
    2. Not Female

Registered
    Feb 2009

dp

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Were you a British hero of A Bridge Too Far? - This was a General Urquhart, whose first name escapes me. Sean Connery played him in the movie IIRC.
    Did David Letterman mock your name? - When he hosted the Oscars, he went on at tiresome length about "Uma [Thurman] and Oprah [Winfrey]."
    Was this your real last name, although you picked a two-syllable fake last name that is better remembered? - Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov, better known as Lenin.

Spacey is pretty good in the American remake of House of Cards, although the character is much grimmer and not as joyously/engagingly evil as Ian Richardson's in the British original.

DQs:

last name start with U?
    living?
    American?

IQs:

Was your death an important Biblical dating reference?
    Was this the pseudonym of a traveler who didn't want to be recognized?
    Were you a Burmese diplomat of some note?
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Apr 2014 at 07:46 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:
    1. Real
    2. Not Female
    3. Last name starts with U
    4. Living
    5. Not American

IQs:

Was your death an important Biblical dating reference?
    Was this the pseudonym of a traveler who didn't want to be recognized?
    Were you a Burmese diplomat of some note?
    1. Stumped - not even sure if its old or new testament being referenced.
    2. Nope, doesn't ring a bell, stumped.
    3. The only one I know is Aung Suu Kyi, so stumped.

Another 3 DQs for you, sir.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Was your death an important Biblical dating reference? - A passage in, I believe, the Book of Isaiah begins, "In the year King Uzziah died...."
    Was this the pseudonym of a traveler who didn't want to be recognized? - Frodo Baggins traveled to Bree as "Mr. Underhill."
    Were you a Burmese diplomat of some note? - U Thant, who served as Secretary-General of the UN.

DQs:

Born since 1975?
    Best known for the arts?
    European?

IQs:

Did you shoot Hitler at least twice?
    Was "Antwerp" a key word in one of your best-known works?
    Did Halle Berry emulate you in a movie scene?

Registered
    Mar 2012

I'm not even gonna comment on the obscurity of that biblical reference, but I sure want to.

IQs:

1. Is "U" the alternate (and slightly less popular) first initial of your name, although it's academic now since your life ended ignominiously in a shootout after you were hunted for nearly a decade?

2. Did you get all tied up by your employees when you decided you absolutely had to hear a particularly alluring group of female musicians?

3. Is the place of your burial used in a famous "gotcha" riddle?

Registered
    Feb 2009

DQs:
    1. Real
    2. Not Female
    4. Living
    5. Not American
    6. Not born since 1975.
    7. Is best known for the arts.
    8. Is European.

Previous IQs:

Was your death an important Biblical dating reference? - A passage in, I believe, the Book of Isaiah begins, "In the year King Uzziah died...."
    Was this the pseudonym of a traveler who didn't want to be recognized? - Frodo Baggins traveled to Bree as "Mr. Underhill."
    Were you a Burmese diplomat of some note? - U Thant, who served as Secretary-General of the UN.

IQs:
    Did you shoot Hitler at least twice?
    Was "Antwerp" a key word in one of your best-known works?
    Did Halle Berry emulate you in a movie scene?
    Mr Underhill - very good, should have known that one.

IQs:
    1. Shooting Hitler - not even sure this is in fiction or reality - stumped
    2. Nope, no idea - Stumped
    3. That would be Ursula Andress, in similar bond scenes of emerging from the waves.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not even gonna comment on the obscurity of that biblical reference, but I sure want to.

IQs:

1. Is "U" the alternate (and slightly less popular) first initial of your name, although it's academic now since your life ended ignominiously in a shootout after you were hunted for nearly a decade?

2. Did you get all tied up by your employees when you decided you absolutely had to hear a particularly alluring group of female musicians?

3. Is the place of your burial used in a famous "gotcha" riddle?
    I'm just letting the Isiah reference just wash over me.

1. Life ended in shootout, umm Ned Kelly?
    2. I have no idea - stumped
    3. Well this riddle sure gotcha me - stumped.

Registered
    Mar 2012

LOL, Ned Kelly? I would say "U" would indeed be a pretty nonstandard way to spell that name!

#1 was Usama/Osama bin Laden
    #2 was Ulysses, who made his fellow sailors stuff their own ears so they wouldn't be tempted by the Sirens, but because he wanted to hear them, he had them tie him up so he wouldn't be caught under their spell.
    #3 was U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant, the subject of the well-known (perhaps only in the U.S.? Sorry) riddle: "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?" The idea is people actually have to think about it when the obvious answer is... Grant, duh.

DQs:

9. Most famous for work in the performing arts?
    10. Born since 1960?
    11. Is your first language English?

IQs:

1. In different media, did you portray two famous iconic fictional characters, both stout, both beloved (although irritating to some of the characters surrounding them), both created by British authors, but each pretty much at the opposite end of the intelligence spectrum?

2. Are you an anal-retentive divorced photographer whose best friend is a filthy slob?

3. Are you someone who's been proven a fraud (on national TV, yet!), and yet you still claim to be able to manipiulate cutlery with your mind?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Did you shoot Hitler at least twice? - Ursula, the heroine of Kate Atkinson's alternative-history novel Life After Life.
    Was "Antwerp" a key word in one of your best-known works? - From Ursula K. LeGuin's The Lathe of Heaven, it's a hypnotic codeword.
    Did Halle Berry emulate you in a movie scene? - Yes, Ursula Andress in Doctor No.

Two DQs reserved.

IQs:

Did you write about William of Baskerville?
    Did you star in Jericho?
    Did you seduce a fictional Duchess of Cornwall?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Previous IQs:

Did you shoot Hitler at least twice? - Ursula, the heroine of Kate Atkinson's alternative-history novel Life After Life.
    Was "Antwerp" a key word in one of your best-known works? - From Ursula K. LeGuin's The Lathe of Heaven, it's a hypnotic codeword.
    Did Halle Berry emulate you in a movie scene? - Yes, Ursula Andress in Doctor No.

Two DQs reserved.

IQs:

Did you star in Jericho?

Registered
    Feb 2009

LOL, Ned Kelly? I would say "U" would indeed be a pretty nonstandard way to spell that name!

#1 was Usama/Osama bin Laden
    #2 was Ulysses, who made his fellow sailors stuff their own ears so they wouldn't be tempted by the Sirens, but because he wanted to hear them, he had them tie him up so he wouldn't be caught under their spell.
    #3 was U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant, the subject of the well-known (perhaps only in the U.S.? Sorry) riddle: "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?" The idea is people actually have to think about it when the obvious answer is... Grant, duh.

DQs:

9. Most famous for work in the performing arts?
    10. Born since 1960?
    11. Is your first language English?

IQs:

1. In different media, did you portray two famous iconic fictional characters, both stout, both beloved (although irritating to some of the characters surrounding them), both created by British authors, but each pretty much at the opposite end of the intelligence spectrum?

2. Are you an anal-retentive divorced photographer whose best friend is a filthy slob?

3. Are you someone who's been proven a fraud (on national TV, yet!), and yet you still claim to be able to manipiulate cutlery with your mind?
    Strangely enough, I've never seen it spelt Usama bin Laden, and I'm old school, so its always been Odysseus for me. As for Pres. Grant, it sounds like the old joke about "What do you put in a toaster?"

IQs:
    1. Hmm, going for a long shot of Peter Ustinov here
    2. If this is the Lack Lemmon/Walther Matthau film, I can't remember the characters - Stumped
    3. Uri Geller - and the scene where he bends the spoon in plain sight is fantastic as the TV show hadn't realised what they had got until later. Definitely not on James Randi's Xmas card lst

IQs:

Did you star in Jericho?
    1. Hmm, This is going to be an medieval one, I can't remember.
    2. Never seen Jericho, and I doubt the answer is Joshua, somehow
    3. Umm, no idea, the though of someone seducing a fictional Camilla Parker Bowles though...

DQs:
    1. Real
    2. Not Female
    4. Living
    5. Not American
    6. Not born since 1975.
    7. Is best known for the arts.
    8. Is European.
    9. Most famous for work ni the performing arts.
    10. Not born since 1960.
    11. First language is not English.

+ Reply to thread